Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

I'm guessing Chris Elliot is 'Josh'?

The only Chris Elliott google is turning up for me was born in 1960, so I don't think that's it. Maybe Ryan Devlin? He was born in 1980. 

I'm only familiar with Christopher Sieber from his role as Mary Kate & Ashley Olsen's dad on Two of a Kind. 

The only Chris Elliott google is turning up for me was born in 1960, so I don't think that's it.

He was on SNL, and is a good comedic actor, so I thought maybe that's why. Josh doesn't look 55 to you? ;) Devlin is very cute. I guess they can't make it too close to real life or they'd be sued. This episode will get more viewers than Jill and Jessa's specials combined.

• Love 3

Who in the Duggar camp is watching the "lame stream media" to find out where they are mentioned and how it was done?  My guess is they are either oblivious or don't know how to interpret irony, sarcasm, parody, etc.

• Love 4

He was on SNL, and is a good comedic actor, so I thought maybe that's why. Josh doesn't look 55 to you? ;) Devlin is very cute. I guess they can't make it too close to real life or they'd be sued. This episode will get more viewers than Jill and Jessa's specials combined.

The Chris Elliot who used to be on David Letterman, yes?

Who in the Duggar camp is watching the "lame stream media" to find out where they are mentioned and how it was done? My guess is they are either oblivious or don't know how to interpret irony, sarcasm, parody, etc.

There are commercial services that monitor media for articles about or mentions of their clients. Of course, JimBob is too cheap to pay for something like that.
  • Love 2

Chris Elliott has always specialized in playing weirdo loser creeps--he was Amy's brother on Everybody Loves Raymond, and currently he's playing Mayor Roland Schitt on Schitt's Creek--so casting him as Joshie seems like genius casting to me.

• Love 4

There are commercial services that monitor media for articles about or mentions of their clients. Of course, JimBob is too cheap to pay for something like that.

Thanks.  I guess someone would have to watch and tell them or they are watching "on the sly".

It will be interesting to see which actors they got to play the expies of Michelle, Jim Bob, and Josh. 

The article says Christopher Sieber & Geneva Carr will play the parents of 10 children, one of whom is a 13 yr old girl who is pregnant (leading to the SVU investigation). I can totally see Chris Elliot playing a creepy character like J.P., a.k.a., "the Jeep" from Kid Farm. Maybe he's the fundy families' sleazy lawyer.

Do you think they'll work an Ashley Madison type scandal in there somewhere? You know the writers started working on this storyline as soon as the child molestation news hit the media; I'm wondering if some furious last-minute revisions were made after the AM hack. ETA: Wait, I guess TV writers don't work that far in advance.

Oh, yes they do. The South Park team has been known to turn around an episode in 24-36 hours, if something too good to pass up happens in the news. The question is, will the writers pile on the scandal with an AM storyline, or do they have to watch it from getting too close to the real Duggars' situation (and risk trouble). I bet the AM scandal will factor into another SVU episode, not related to the Duggars, but that's just my 2 cents.

Pretty sure they've already done several episodes with religious cults that have scads of kids, and one where the family had some political family values group, but the dad was gay and the mom was banging the uncle or something. It had Tim Daly and Kathy (can't think of her last name) from Picket Fences.

• Love 2

I bet in the Duggar episode it'll turn out to be the girl's father and not her brother who got her pregnant. SVU just loves it's little twists.

Or a Gothard-type character. 

It's making me think of the episode they did in Season 4, Resilience, where a 14 year old is found to be pregnant, and it turns out her father is obsessed with being in control, and being the head of a big family, and the mother is all about being a mother, so when the mother couldn't have anymore kids, they impregnated the teenager (using non-family related sperm), so the parents could have the baby. But I guess when you go for that many seasons, all of your later episodes will start to feel a bit like re-treads, even when they're not exactly the same. 

• Love 7

OK, leaving aside the squick from when the show is airing, illustrating that story with a picture of Josh and his kids is in spectacularly bad taste.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

Edited to add: In the way of the world, Michelle's blog post has been out on the innernets for quite some time, for anyone to find but apparently nobody in the journalism world bothered to look. 

I continue to maintain that their downfall is going to be not their enemies, but the fact that on some level they believe that America loves them and not the carefully curated fantasy about them TLC and their ghostwriters created for public consumption. Although you'd think the staggeringly brief ascendance of Famy would have driven that home...

• Love 10

I continue to maintain that their downfall is going to be not their enemies, but the fact that on some level they believe that America loves them and not the carefully curated fantasy about them TLC and their ghostwriters created for public consumption. Although you'd think the staggeringly brief ascendance of Famy would have driven that home...

Or, as the Bard said, "Hoist by their own petard!"

I'm with you, Julia.  You give these people enough rope and enough room, they'll talk themselves in circles and hang themselves in the process.

• Love 8

I continue to maintain that their downfall is going to be not their enemies, but the fact that on some level they believe that America loves them and not the carefully curated fantasy about them TLC and their ghostwriters created for public consumption.

I think the idea that enemies could or would drive them down is just their arrogant paranoid fantasy. It's a free country with a lot of media and private outlets that can exhibit the Duggars, and nobody can do anything about that. I do think they're losing people now. But I'll bet they won't disappear entirely until they eventually become boring, as everything inevitably does in the end, to the diehards. They've definitely got diehard fans still who aren't phased by anything that happens and will continue to love them. And the Duggs will generate media hits from both those diehards and the many who dislike them (and whose numbers may actually be rising.)  But some new shiny object will eventually attract even the diehards, I expect. And that'll spell the real end.

I hope the mods here let us have a live thread viewing party for the L&O:SVU episode.

Whatever has been used for Josh's regular Friday meets can be used for a live chat discussion. Live stream discussions are pretty rare here, and usually only for big stuff--Super Bowl, Oscars, Emmy's. Live chatting is so disjointed it doesn't work well for this site most of the time. Discussing the episode itself can go into the actual L&O SVU forum.

• Love 2

The more I think about it, I really want Chris Elliott to play GotHard, if not old hyuk-hyuk JB himself.

I'd place a heavy bet on the show's completely ignoring the Gothard angle, though. I think that's too deep in the weeds for Law and Order. For one thing, it'd force them to squeeze two villains into one 42-minute show and show the connection of the two. That's a pretty daunting task for a show that seems just intended for pure, fall-asleep-in-front-of-the-tv entertainment, I think. I expect them to call up the typical fundie bogeymen while upping the stakes by having a pregnancy -- which of course all by itself amounts to seriously falsifying the main event. I haven't watched many SVUs or Law and Orders generally, but the ones I have seen haven't in the least dissected or fully played out any of the "issues" they rip from the headlines. Seemed to me they just dogwhistle to something we're all familiar with, to bring in viewers, and then on that familiar pretty generic story they "base" an even more generic story. I highly doubt that we'll see any characters on the screen that are actually very much like Jim Bob or Josh, let alone Gothard. There probably will be a squeaky-voiced uber-mom in uber-denial for Michelle. But they're really just using the Duggars for their own ratings. That's fine. Kind of makes me laugh that somebody else will get ratings because of the Duggar name. Serves Jim Bob right that this is what it will be. But I think we're in for a letdown if we expect on-the-money satire, incisive commentary, dramatic nuance or insight, even to a small degree. I'd like them to surprise me. But I don't see it happening.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7

Remember, if Chris Elliott is identified as a potential perp within the first twenty minutes, he's a red herring. Also, they may be ripping from more than one headline, like when they had Paula Deen shoot Trayvon Martin. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out a "Duck Dynasty" guy did it.

• Love 6

Remember, if Chris Elliott is identified as a potential perp within the first twenty minutes, he's a red herring. Also, they may be ripping from more than one headline, like when they had Paula Deen shoot Trayvon Martin. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out a "Duck Dynasty" guy did it.

I feel horrible laughing at anything referencing poor Trayvon, but the image of pistol-packing "Paula Deen"... Or cross-pollination of DD and the Duggars. heavens. My brain.

• Love 3

I feel horrible laughing at anything referencing poor Trayvon, but the image of pistol-packing "Paula Deen"... Or cross-pollination of DD and the Duggars. heavens. My brain.

I half expect a little person to be the baby daddy, or a disgruntled Jacob Roloff type.
  • Love 3

I'm not usually watching TV in the middle of the day (taking advantage of the opportunity to do house stuff), but Michelle is getting REAMED on "The Talk" for her now infamous blog post. It feels good to hear an entire studio audience losing it in unison. Sharon Osborne was priceless. She wants a needle to sew up a certain body part. I hope this is out there on the Interwebs to watch for those who want to...it's quite amusing!

• Love 8

They usually post clips like that within a day or two. We'll all get a chance to see it.

That being said, I just can't see how these specials are going to generate interest, other that hate watching/train wreck viewers, which won't last long.

• Love 3

I realize that people take the blind items from Crazy Days and Nights with a grain of salt, but wasn't there a report the other day that Joshley Madison was a bit busy at "rehab"?

Anna: You deserve better.

http://www.crazydaysandnights.net/2015/10/todays-blind-items-still-cheating.html

The woman he has been hooking up with told people close to her that he wants to marry her.

Oh dear, and it's not like Josh is the type to say ANYTHING to get what he wants, right? I kind of hope it's true, for Anna's sake. She'll escape Josh and the Duggars can welcome a new addict into the family. A very, very special episode.

• Love 8

Oh dear, and it's not like Josh is the type to say ANYTHING to get what he wants, right? I kind of hope it's true, for Anna's sake. She'll escape Josh and the Duggars can welcome a new addict into the family. A very, very special episode.

Imagine how proud J-Chelle will be when she can tell the viewing audience that the second Mrs. Joshley Madison never, EVER tells her husband "no"!

• Love 5

Imagine how proud J-Chelle will be when she can tell the viewing audience that the second Mrs. Joshley Madison never, EVER tells her husband "no"!

but hey, it's not thirteenth-stepping if there aren't twelve steps.

I wonder if they hypothetically met in the laundry room?

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

Michelle and JB give speeches at Alert Family Camp this week.  Jim Bob and Michelle will share their family experiences of standing for the Gospel on the front lines of social media.

If they didn't use the media for the last 10 years to pay for their every need they'd be giving a speech on losing your home and family.  Talk about biting the hand that has housed and fed them.  The Duggars are digging their own graves.

• Love 16

Here's a minute or so of Sharon Osbourne's delicious rant (as usual, a short commercial runs first): http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nflvideos/the-talk-what-type-of-message-is-michelle-duggar-sending-to-women-the-talk-hosts-discuss/vp-AAfqir8

Oh, bummer. They cut it short, because she went on and on. I doubled over when she said Michelle's vaj should be sewn shut along with her mouth. And everyone at the table put in their 2 cents (all in the same vein).

• Love 4

Mullet's 'always be joyfully available' gospel explains a lot about their eldest's complete dearth of personal authenticity. Apparently being genuine and honest and actually sharing true interpersonal intimacy are totally unimportant. All that matters for fundie males is having a sperm receptacle that pretends to enjoy being your sexual servant/slave.

This. And next up behind "your mother and I are off to have sex for the Lord" I'd have to think "and she's going to pretend to enjoy it because she owes Jesus for being tortured to death, and that gets me hot" is pretty damn close, mind-breaking-wise.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 12

I can kind of understand that. When she was coming up, being openly gay was supposed to be the end of your career. The actor who played her BF, the one who's on the Big Bang Theory, said that she talked about that a bit when she was getting ready to come out. I admire that she came out anyway, but she has to have a little residual nervousness about how people are going to receive her.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 6

I can kind of understand that. When she was coming up, being openly gay was supposed to be the end of your career. The actor who played her BF, the one who's on the Big Bang Theory, said that she talked about that a bit when she was getting ready to come out. I admire that she came out anyway, but she has to have a little residual nervousness about how people are going to receive her.

I can appreciate her hesitation since one of my sons is gay. But she is a creator/producer of this show and has been on since the beginning and has talked about her former wife and current one. Maybe she really was "acting" as Darlene and her natural self is more reserved. Fine with me. But did enjoy snarky Darlene!

Probably off topic so sorry mods!!

• Love 3

I can appreciate her hesitation since one of my sons is gay. But she is a creator/producer of this show and has been on since the beginning and has talked about her former wife and current one. Maybe she really was "acting" as Darlene and her natural self is more reserved. Fine with me. But did enjoy snarky Darlene!

Yeah, mine tells me that she's bi, although her current (first) SO is male.

Mine told me she's "reserving the right to be a lesbian in the future." (I don't know what she told her boyfriend.)

Oh, oops, we did slide way off topic here. Further chats about Sara Gilbert and/or our potentially LGBTQ children, may be had in the small talk thread!

• Love 4