Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: Chapter 51

(edited)

Was I the only one who initially thought that the hostage situation might be a fake one created by Conway to make himself look good? I am guessing that was way off base...is watching this show making me paranoid?

Edited by nara
  • Love 17

Was I the only one who initially thought that the hostage situation might be a fake one created by Conway to make himself look good? I am guessing that was way off base...is watching this show making me paranoid?

If you are paranoid, and so do I because I thought the same thing.

• Love 3

Me three, but I think Conway, while a craven narcissist and schemer, is still this side of the Underwoods when it comes to murder.

Or poosibly not, maybe Conway really is Frank 2.0, with even more willingness to destroy lives. This show has never remotely promised a happy ending, and since- with the finale left to come- it looks like the "House of Cards" is about to topple on the Underwoods with Hammerschmidt's work putting some of the the pieces together, maybe the last scenes will include a victorious Conway being revealed to have orchestrated this whole thing. The political machine grinding on, worse with every turn of the screw.

So the guy that Doug and then FU threatened, the "Here's your magnet" guy, the one they want to do something that'll hurt Conway... Am I forgetting what he did that was so wrong that FU can now blackmail him or did they say it and I missed it? 

• Love 2
(edited)

So the guy that Doug and then FU threatened, the "Here's your magnet" guy, the one they want to do something that'll hurt Conway... Am I forgetting what he did that was so wrong that FU can now blackmail him or did they say it and I missed it? 

Yeah I was confused as well. He's a congressman on the Intelligence Committee (I think?). Conway and his military VP candidate got info from the congressman and lied about it during the debates. Because Doug & Frank have dirt on everyone they're now pressuring the congressman to expose Conway.

Hope this info is right. Some episodes I just watch in hopes that Gavin & Cashew will reunite and open a BBQ hut in Canada with Freddy.

(edited to ensure Freddy's name was spelled properly)

Edited by chick binewski
  • Love 2

So the Underwoods and the Conways (with children) have a sleep-over. And the only place to put them is in Claire's bedroom...in the White House. And the kids are allowed to run around and help themselves to juice and Frank's figurines. Okay then.

Doug is beyond creepy. I don't care about Remy and Jackie. Their change of heart comes way too late. Glad to see that Former Mr. President grew a pair and decided to talk to Hammerschmidt. Think that Hammerschmidt is the only person that I am actively rooting for.

The hostage situation is horrifying and I am troubled by Claire's side endeavor.

• Love 1

I think this is one of those things we were supposed to fill in the blanks on. I filled in the blanks to get that the congressman has an important medal (I am not savvy enough about the medals to know what they're for) that implies he lied about his service record to get said medal. Of course the Underwoodlings know all about this and conveniently played it close to the vest so they could whip out this card right now to blackmail him with it.

Yeah I was confused as well. He's a congressman on the Intelligence Committee (I think?). Conway and his military VP candidate got info from the congressman and lied about it during the debates. Because Doug & Frank have dirt on everyone they're now pressuring the congressman to expose Conway.

And I think they're using the service record (or lack thereof) to do the above. Tank the party or tank his own career with the lies about his service record. (though I would argue he's fucked either way because leaking the information to presidential candidates would seem like pretty bad stuff to me).

In addition to fuckbuddy, Tom can sit around the White House and "read" people (we know how good he is at doing that), such as the Conways and offer interpretative services to Claire.

I, too, did not buy that the Conways had to bunk down in the private quarters of the White House, however it did give us Claire's zinger "Do you regret having your children?" As someone who is childless by choice, I do understand the annoyance with people who assume I should be regretful that I didn't spawn. Kids will be kids and all that, but watching the little Conway jump on the bed didn't make my ovaries ache one bit.

Doug Doug Doug Doug Doug. What the fuck?

That "group" debate was ridiculous. Really? I would guess the Underwoods demanded it to make Claire seem more presidential. And the fact that she was involved in the situation room aftermath was just as ridiculous - she is still the first lady; she's not the VP yet! Hell, Conway had as much right to be there since the terrorist demanded to speak with him instead of Frank.

And from out of nowhere, I love Hammerschmidt. In my fantasy world, the finale is the Underwoods waking up to his story on the front page and the next (and I hope, final) season is Claire and Frank dealing with that piece of business. I guess I need to watch the final episode to find out . . .

• Love 5

That "group" debate was ridiculous. Really? I would guess the Underwoods demanded it to make Claire seem more presidential. And the fact that she was involved in the situation room aftermath was just as ridiculous - she is still the first lady; she's not the VP yet! Hell, Conway had as much right to be there since the terrorist demanded to speak with him instead of Frank.

Very true. This seems to have been forgotten by the show creators. Has Donald Blythe even been seen in the last few episodes? 

• Love 1

Claire's zinger "Do you regret having your children?" As someone who is childless by choice, I do understand the annoyance with people who assume I should be regretful that I didn't spawn. Kids will be kids and all that, but watching the little Conway jump on the bed didn't make my ovaries ache one bit.

Ditto. Claire's bitchy retort made me go "Ha!" and mentally file it away if I'm ever confronted by aggressive people who don't get that not everyone wants to have children.

• Love 3

That kid, Charlie, is the worst! Totally bratty, but I realize he's used as his father's prop; don't believe Conway is father of the year for a second. His parents calling Frank a vampire! Nice...and not chastised at all by his parents for speaking out of turn! While I realize the kid is only 5 or 6, he should have been redirected by his parents instead of them just laughing it off. In my day....yes, I realize I sound like I'm about 80, but still!

• Love 2

There's something very wrong with me.  Not only do I loathe the Conways, but I'm annoyed with Tom.  Why do I want Frank to pull this off?  I have issues, apparently...felt the same way about Tony Soprano, Walter White, etc. 

While I loved JK as Stephen Holder in The Killing, I am not impressed with him here.  One thing he does that bugs me, and I just figured it out tonight, is he has the same little fisted gesture that FU uses when he's politicking.   Not very original.

And Charlie needs a spank.

• Love 3

There's something very wrong with me.  Not only do I loathe the Conways, but I'm annoyed with Tom.  Why do I want Frank to pull this off?  I have issues, apparently...felt the same way about Tony Soprano, Walter White, etc. 

While I loved JK as Stephen Holder in The Killing, I am not impressed with him here.  One thing he does that bugs me, and I just figured it out tonight, is he has the same little fisted gesture that FU uses when he's politicking.   Not very original.

And Charlie needs a spank.

I don't think we're supposed to like the Conways. And the fact that he imitates FU's (haha) gesture shows that he's a follower, despite all his apparent fresh (in the political game) persona. Same old, same new, same game, same travesty of honesty, is the message I got.

• Love 1

Why wasn't Cathy Durant in any of the Situation Room scenes? Or was she there and I didn't notice her?

I'm a bit surprised that Doug hasn't thought about Rachel this season.

Did Leann even get a line in this episode?

I must have the same issues because I want Frank to gut Hammerschmidt.   It bugs me that Hammerschmidt suddenly thinks he's Woodward and Bernstein when it was others who did the real leg work for this story and lost their lives in the process.   I don't like the actor much either.   I cheered when Freddy tuned him up.

Tom Yates is a creep, way creepier than Doug IMO.  

As for Conway, in the America I live in, a politician would be toast if a recording of him claiming to be ashamed of what he (and by extension America) did in the war went public.   Frank's female rival, Heather whatshername, the one who's not Allison Janney -- she was history for saying far less.

This has been a terribly lackluster season, not just because of ho-hum writing but also due to real life politics.  Frank used to be the  most scheming and cutthroat politician we'd ever seen.   Then came Trump and Cruz, who make Frank look like a respected elder statesman. 

Is what Robin Wright does considered acting?   She's the same automaton from one episode to the next.

Unfortunately it appears the finale is just going to be a lay-up for a whole lot of cliffhangers.

On 3/5/2016 at 5:38 AM, nara said:

That thought crossed my mind, then I thought that Frank had set up the whole thing to make Conway look bad - get hi to admit he regrets what he did in the service, then have the family get killed by the terrorists and paint it all as Conway's mishandling of the situation.

About 4 times each episode, I think that Frank or Doug (or occassionally Claire) is going to kill someone.  Frank meets with Kathy and I think "Frank's going to kill her in the Oval Office."  Freddy confronts Frank and I think "Frank's going to kill him for not making ribs."  Doug meets the wife at the restaurant and my mind goes to "Run, widow, run! Doug is going to take you out to an alley somewhere and kill you with an empty highball glass!"

• Love 4
(edited)

Okay I hope the finale is worth watching because I HATED watching this episode.  Watching politicians try to figure out how to manipulate a hostage situation to their political advantage is nauseating.  I realize that corrupt politicians and their wicked ways is the whole raison d'etre for this show but for some reason that fucked-up situation room conversation with the kidnappers just made me feel ill.

And ditto to the people who have already pointed out the complete and utter absurdity of the Conways staying in The Residence.  There is no reason for the children to be in the White House AT ALL -- they should be at a hotel with their mother.  Stupid writing.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1
On 3/10/2016 at 7:56 PM, Maysie said:

however it did give us Claire's zinger "Do you regret having your children?" As someone who is childless by choice, I do understand the annoyance with people who assume I should be regretful that I didn't spawn. Kids will be kids and all that, but watching the little Conway jump on the bed didn't make my ovaries ache one bit.

I get why people loved that comment, but I would have loved if they had Hannah Conway respond with something like "Of course I don't regret having my children, what kind of heartless monster would?". That would have frosted Claire's ass. Which is something, since Claire possesses an incredibly frosty ass to begin with. 

On 3/6/2016 at 7:38 AM, nara said:

I actually thought for sure that the guy keeping the family hostage was Lucas Goodwin.  The actor has the same weird lack of eyebrows. I haven't watched since April and I forgot what happened to him.

Little Conway, I don't care what the hell his name is, is an annoying little shit, my God. I'm sure he's a very nice kid IRL, but it makes me grateful for child actors who are actually skilled, like every single kid on Stranger Things. Having said that, I think we're supposed to find him annoying, and they succeeded.

Stamper is one of the most despicable characters on this show, and that's really saying something on a show that also features Frank Underwood. I fast forward all his scenes now.

Edited by EarlGreyTea