Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SPLAIN

I Love Lucy

On 2/5/2018 at 12:39 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Desi was a smart businessman and it's to his credit of using multi cameras, I think. Then there's "Desilu Productions." Both he and Lucille worked together with that.

On 6/5/2018 at 7:18 PM, VCRTracking said:

Interesting video. I didn't know Karl Freund, the cinematographer of I Love Lucy who created the lighting style for three camera sitcoms, which is used to this day, had also been the cinematographer for Metropolis and Dracula!

And here is where Desi Arnaz signed the greatest deal in all of television history.  If you are rolling your eyes at that statement, then please enjoy the behind the scenes history:

Because of the time zones in the U.S., it was standard practice to broadcast a show live on the east coast, and then rebroadcast with a kinescope in the later time zones.   Lucy and Desi did not want to move from California to New York, so instead of a live broadcast, they preferred to record each episode on high quality film in the early afternoon and then run the film at the broadcast time.  Add to this Karl Freund and his three-camera technique, and the process made perfect sense.

Except--

The network did not want to pay the extra money to record on high quality film, which was more expensive than simply broadcasting live.  So DesiLu agreed to pay this extra expense on the condition that DesiLu owned all of the rights to the film.  The network was only too happy to agree, because what value could there be in a copy of a show that had already been broadcast?

What value indeed!  It was because they owned the rights to the film that Desi Arnaz and Lucille ball literally invented the re-run.  Think about how many times the show "I Love Lucy" has been re-ran over the course of time.   But wait!  There's more!  DesiLu eventually sold the syndication rights back to CBS for piles of money.  So Desilu made money on the original episode, then made money on the re-runs of the original episodes, then made money selling the rights to the re-runs of the original episodes!

Oh yes, the greatest deal in television history is not an overstatement here.

• Like 4

On December 26, 2017 at 8:47 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

And like you @legaleagle53, I ALWAYS cry when Ricky realizes he's the one who's going to be a father, and he sings that song; especially the last scene when Desi lowers his head and kisses Lucille's neck. I've said it before and I'll say it again: No one will ever convince me that that was them acting. It always comes off as the actual feelings and reactions of Desi and Lucille, not Ricky and Lucy.

That was indeed beautiful. It's to bad they don't include the part of Lucy when she found out she was pregnant, so dreamy-eyed and happy. It always a bummer when you remember that they split up in real life.

I love the Christmas special, even though 1) Lucy's colorized orange hair was distracting (was that really how it looked?) and 2) I found it odd that they didn't get a Christmas tree until literally the night before Christmas. Chalk it up to Fred and Ricky being cheap, I guess 😂😂😂😂

Still, Little Ricky's a darling. I loved how they were basically winging it on how to explain why Santa didn't come til he was sleeping. I always thought the real Santa should have appeared to Little Ricky before he vanished.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

It's to bad they don't include the part of Lucy when she found out she was pregnant, so dreamy-eyed and happy

Do you mean at the doctor’s office? Because she is dreamy-eyed and happy when she gets home and tells Ethel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Do you mean at the doctor’s office? Because she is dreamy-eyed and happy when she gets home and tells Ethel.

That's what I meant, yes.

3 hours ago, Magnumfangirl said:

How much of Pioneer Women did they chop out?  I haven't seen that episode in years, but it felt like they cut a lot of it out.

They cut out the part where Lucy says, "That's a happy (hefty?) little loaf." That's one of my favorite lines.

I always like Fred and Ricky's duet on "Strolling Through the Park," especially their harmonizing at the end.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I wonder what on earth Lucy did with the rest of that bread :) 

Well, it's well-known that that really WAS a giant loaf of rye bread and not a fake prop, so the cast and crew ended up eating rye bread for at least a week because of it!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, legaleagle53 said:

Well, it's well-known that that really WAS a giant loaf of rye bread and not a fake prop, so the cast and crew ended up eating rye bread for at least a week because of it!

Now that you mention it, I do remember reading that in one of my I Love Lucy books... :-)

I feel guilty, but I just can’t suspend disbelief that that bread stayed in that oven and came out so perfectly shaped.

Do love the exchange when the women come out and say they’re revolting.

5 hours ago, opus said:

I feel guilty, but I just can’t suspend disbelief that that bread stayed in that oven and came out so perfectly shaped.

Do love the exchange when the women come out and say they’re revolting.

Also, when they are deciding on the terms of the bet. Hee :)

Lucy: Okay, what do you want to bet?

Fred: How 'bout $10?               

Ethel: What's the matter with $20? 

Ricky: Well, what's the matter with $30?

Lucy: What's the matter with $50?!

Fred: What was the matter with ten dollars?!

Edited by LexieLily
  • Like 4

On 12/15/2018 at 6:12 AM, Spartan Girl said:

I love the Christmas special, even though 1) Lucy's colorized orange hair was distracting (was that really how it looked?) and 2) I found it odd that they didn't get a Christmas tree until literally the night before Christmas. Chalk it up to Fred and Ricky being cheap, I guess 😂😂😂😂

They said that Santa was bringing it, so maybe that was a tradition that I never heard of. To me it seems like that takes a lot of the fun and anticipation out of Christmas. 

I thought that the colorization really highlighted all the smoke that Desi was puffing out around the others. And as other people have said, Lucy! hair! Wow. It seemed much more orange in the Christmas episode than it did in the pioneer one (it seemed about the same as the clips, though). But then, it *was* fake; Lucy was a natural brunette. So maybe she never cared about whether it looked realistic. 

I'm still trying to work my brain around "20 dishes a meal" (when Lucy was counting how many dishes she's done). 

• Like 2

I've known people who don't put up a Christmas tree until after the kids go to bed on Christmas Eve. Big surprise in the morning I suppose. Not how I was raised or have done it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mystery said:

I'm still trying to work my brain around "20 dishes a meal" (when Lucy was counting how many dishes she's done).

Me too! Is she counting each piece of silverware as a "dish"? 

I remember the first time I saw this one and I was so proud of myself when I figured out a loaf of bread couldn't be bigger than the oven that baked it! Hollywood couldn't pull one over on little seven year old me!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

Me too! Is she counting each piece of silverware as a "dish"? 

I remember the first time I saw this one and I was so proud of myself when I figured out a loaf of bread couldn't be bigger than the oven that baked it! Hollywood couldn't pull one over on little seven year old me!

And how did Ethel of course have washed SO many more dishes than Lucy? 

On 12/15/2018 at 3:44 PM, SmithW6079 said:

They cut out the part where Lucy says, "That's a happy (hefty?) little loaf." That's one of my favorite lines.

Well DAMN. Not keeping this on the dvr. Naively, I thought since they were airing this on CBS and in color, we'd get the full, original broadcast version. BAH! At least I have the ENTIRE series on dvd.

9 hours ago, LexieLily said:

And how did Ethel of course have washed SO many more dishes than Lucy? 

Ethel and Fred have been married longer.

Check out the neat thing Google did today to commemorate Desi Arnaz' 102 birthday today:

desi-arnazs-102nd-birthday-5686409284288

• Like 2