Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 02/29/16

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Monday 2/29: Whoopi at the Oscars, and an interview with Steven Spielberg; “View Your Deal” with hottest items at affordable prices, hosted by contributor Sherri Shepherd.

Tuesday 3/1: Taraji P. Henson (“Empire”).

Wednesday 3/2: Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer (“Broad City”).

Thursday 3/3: Jane Mayer (author of “Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right”); Bob Saget and Dave Coulier (“Fuller House”); find out what color Raven’s hair will be next when a surprise guest spins the “Colors of Ravenbow” wheel.

Friday 3/4: John Stamos (“Grandfathered,” “Fuller House”); Joy takes Paula to a comedy club for a lesson in standup.

• Love 1

Just a few things.

Whoopi was just so...notWhoopi like she normally is when she's actually, you know, on the show.  Why can't the Whoopi we saw talking via Satellite and talking with Spielberg, have the same personality when she's in the moderator chair?

Takes Deep Breath.

So. Now Paula is saying it's beneath Rubio for getting down on Trump's level when it comes to insults? I don't recall her saying that it was beneath Trump when he was hurling all those insults and who continues to hurl those insults, and uses the excuse that Trump doing so is "authentic" and it "resonates" with the "people."  But when others do the same thing, it's a bad thing?  What little credibility she had with me (and it was very little) has been smashed to smithereens.  She can just shut up forever now.

Not that I agree with what Rubio is doing. I didn't and don't like it that Trump is doing, but Joy was right.  And I can't remember if Raven said in the past, she was fine with Trump's insults or not, so I can't speak to whether I can cheer her for saying what she did about the integrity of the office. I blame the media and the other candidates for not calling Trump out on his trash talking from Day ONE. And instead, just laughed it off and "RATINGZZZZZZ!"

And someone who speaks Raven has to tell me what she was talking about or what she meant when she was blathering on about the airline/Hasidic Jew story. I couldn't make out whose side she was on, or to whom exactly she was directing her thoughts.

And since she's always mispeaking, or using words that she clearly doesn't know the definitions for, she needs to shut it when telling Joy that she, Raven, is as learned and reads the New York Times, and so Joy needs to go to the rapper site.

• Love 11
So. Now Paula is saying it's beneath Rubio for getting down on Trump's level when it comes to insults? I don't recall her saying that it was beneath Trump when he was hurling all those insults and who continues to hurl those insults, and uses the excuse that Trump doing so is "authentic" and it "resonates" with the "people."  But when others do the same thing, it's a bad thing?  What little credibility she had with me (and it was very little) has been smashed to smithereens.  She can just shut up forever now.

There's a clip of Trump, on a campaign stop,  referring to "little Rubio" and saying it the kind of mocking voice that can get a third grader suspended for bullying.   It sickens me that people see that as "authentic".   and it frightens me that someone like that has a chance to be taking that mentality to other countries and acting as a spokesperson for the U.S.

• Love 17

So. Now Paula is saying it's beneath Rubio for getting down on Trump's level when it comes to insults? I don't recall her saying that it was beneath Trump when he was hurling all those insults and who continues to hurl those insults, and uses the excuse that Trump doing so is "authentic" and it "resonates" with the "people."  But when others do the same thing, it's a bad thing?  What little credibility she had with me (and it was very little) has been smashed to smithereens.  She can just shut up forever now.

My thoughts exactly. I'm not looking forward to the coming months to hear what she and especially Candace are going to spew about Hillary. I guess we'll revert to E-MAILS, E-MAILS, E-MAILS (in Bea Arthur voice) again.

Raven's blue hair looked beautiful... Too bad her personality is hideous. I cheered when Joy gave her the smackdown. Nobody believes you read the New York Times, Raven.

• Love 10

Thursday-"Find out what color Raven's hair will be next!" Somebody shoot me now.

Oh please DO shoot me too. [/Frasier voice]

There's a clip of Trump, on a campaign stop,  referring to "little Rubio" and saying it the kind of mocking voice that can get a third grader suspended for bullying.   It sickens me that people see that as "authentic".   and it frightens me that someone like that has a chance to be taking that mentality to other countries and acting as a spokesperson for the U.S.

It is horrifying and terrifying and I really mean it. Trump scares me.

Well dammit I hate to say this. Whoopi looked decent on the Oscars. There I said it.

And yes, CHris Rock, rocked the house.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 8

Airhead Sara Haines again. I thought she was gone after the endless baby shower????

Likely there will be two more days of her this week (she is on at least two days, sometimes three days) and then two days of the never ending, ad nauseam  Fuller House waste of time.

Going to be a bad week at The View.

Edited by Vinyasa
  • Love 1

Sara does not usually make me stabby, but she does not interest me AT ALL ....like she is just taking up space/a chair.

SO Whoopi is not offended that she was mistaken for Oprah. I wonder how Oprah feels :-)

• Love 5

WOW Wasn't Sherri in full, loud, clown, court jester mode this morning, even her pants fit the role along with the stupid grin & shrill voice. If "that" is what America wants, her & the "classy"  Kardashians, it is no wonder that ignoramus Trump is gaining ground. Scary stuff..............

• Love 6

Paula got on my last nerve today. Poor widdle thing was shocked, shocked I tell you. First that the Orthodox synagogues have a partition between men and women!!!!! What??? How dare they!

I think Paula gives up too soon raising her kids. But then I am with Sarah - if my kid is a brat in a restaurant they can stay home (with a babysitter) next time. Paula then says something like Sarah just doesn't understand.

• Love 3

Gayle, Oprah and Gayle's daughter sent a short instagram/pic abt how stupid and old-hat the mixup with Whoopi was--(not being able to tell Black people apart). It was shown on CBS Morning news with Charlie Rose; Gayle was not there this a.m.

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 2

Wow Paula. "But his wife can sit next to her husband, right?" NO Paula. Because his wife is not the wife of the dude sitting next to him....and all the other dudes in the section Gah! SHe is Arabic. How is this so foreign to her?

• Love 5

Wow. Whoopi was totally acting or was really high during the Spielberg interview.

I vote for stoned out of her mind. Dumb questions, stupid grin.  I do prefer that softer voice however.    Was  Whoopi in the hospital just moments before that interview?  Why was she wearing a hospital gown over her clothes?  I couldn't see her shoes but I wonder if they weren't shoes but slippers?   And while I'm on the topic, why was Whoopi wearing the exact same thing  this morning  including that shabby scarf, she wore on Friday morning's remote interview? Maybe the airline lost her luggage or something?  

In true Barbara Walter's tradition Miss Whoopi managed to make the Oscar package all about her; did you guys know she has one by the way?  If the Oscars were on any other network I doubt Whoopi would have even been there much less given a presenter position. 

Did I hear Joy say she has no idea who Stacy Dash is? 

WOW Wasn't Sherri in full, loud, clown, court jester mode this morning, even her pants fit the role along with the stupid grin & shrill voice.

Are track pants/sweats with stilts heels a thing now?   She looked sloppy and amped up.  I guess Stacy London couldn't make it today.   

• Love 4

So the Whoopi we saw today is the Whoopi that could of elevated The View to a new level. She has a lot of celebrity access and her interview with Steven Spielberg proved that. When Rosie came back for the second time, and Whoopi had the tribute with Billy Crystal to Robin Williams I saw a new side to her that she could bring. But the anger, bitter, nasty Whoopi that we got for the past decade on The View doesn't work for me. And I wonder if honestly she is putting in more effort with these kind of interviews to prove her value during the negotiation time to get herself a new contract. 

• Love 4

So the Whoopi we saw today is the Whoopi that could of elevated The View to a new level. She has a lot of celebrity access and her interview with Steven Spielberg proved that. When Rosie came back for the second time, and Whoopi had the tribute with Billy Crystal to Robin Williams I saw a new side to her that she could bring. But the anger, bitter, nasty Whoopi that we got for the past decade on The View doesn't work for me. And I wonder if honestly she is putting in more effort with these kind of interviews to prove her value during the negotiation time to get herself a new contract. 

I doubt it, I think she just likes being among the Hollywood elite - the people she considers her peers.  

I honestly believe that everyone else at the table does the best they can do (which let's face it often fails) but Whoopi has made it clear forever that this show is beneath her and she is only there to collect a check.  She doesn't appear to prepare for the show in any visible way, (topics, wardrobe, etc) she can't read the teleprompter or let anyone else's opinion be the last word.    She's consistently rude to people she doesn't like or feels threatened by and mostly comes across as someone who thinks they are way too good for this job.  

But when she's with someone who she considers worthy of her respect (Spielberg) then it's a different Whoopi.   By the way, if Speilberg and Whoopi luuuuv each other so much why hasn't he cast her in a single other movie since The Color Purple?  And I had to laugh at his response to #OscarsSoWhite saying diversity begins in the hiring, since  Speilberg hasn't directed a movie with a female lead in 30 years either.   Hmmmmm, I wonder if that's a coincidence?  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 11

Whoopi being a part of the ABC family & an award-totin' member of the academy, was likely obligated to shill for the show. The very least she could get away with IMO. You are so right, Cosmo. Whoopi hasn't worked at this gig, why start now? She is a more delightful person when back in must-show-respect mode for the "elite" group of peers - the ones who haven't yet distanced themselves from her real self. I'm sure when the cameras are off, they are more than happy to go their separate ways.

The hospital/slouchy clothes Whoopi wore in the taped bits were probably spa accessories that came in her gift basket. That or protective stuff to keep the red carpets clean before the big show.

Edited by Fisher King
  • Love 4

I really hope ABC isn't going to negotiate a new contract with Whoopi. As Cosmo said above she has clearly shown she is only there for the paycheck. She brings nothing to the table. Nada zilch nothing. If for some insane reason she is asked back I will be speechless.

• Love 6

The hospital/slouchy clothes Whoopi wore in the taped bits were probably spa accessories that came in her gift basket. That or protective stuff to keep the red carpets clean before the big show.

This made me think that Whoopie is like a walking toxic waste site that the red carpet had to be protected from. Hmm.

• Love 4

Love this!

• Love 2
(edited)

The Trump turds don't fall far from the turd tree.

GAH Raven is eat up with stupid. "If a Republican is nominated , Im going to move to Canada." Well, get your passport and Visa in order. Canada, brace yourself.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 5

The Trump turds don't fall far from the turd tree.

GAH Raven is eat up with stupid. "If a Republican is nominated , Im going to move to Canada." Well, get your passport and Visa in order. Canada, brace yourself.

And no one corrected her? I mean, explain to her, that in an election, in our country, there is always a Republican nominee/candidate? That it's never been a democrat v. democrat in the General election? At least, not as long as I've been alive.  Or does she know something we don't?

• Love 5
(edited)

Poor Canada. :-(

Trump scares me and makes me sick. No shocker that he has the support of white supremacists. Pass the Pepto.  

Holy crap we have to endure MORE Fuller House with that ass Sagat coming on the show? (Stamos, I"ll take)

Edited by ari333
  • Love 4

Airhead Sara Haines 2 for 2 so far this week. I might  able to finally stop watching.

Between her weekly appearances  and all the Fuller House breaking news coverage, I'm done!

• Love 2
(edited)

Why can they not say who they are wearing at the Oscars? I didn't get it.

I didn't see the show today yet - but the controversy has been this -    

On the Red Carpet, various entertainment journalists interview the actors and actresses coming in to the event.   MEN are asked about their movie, their role, what they thought of someone else's movie, what they thought of their director's chances or winning, etc 

Women are asked the designer of the dress, where the jewelry came from, who did their hair, or what they did to get ready for the red carper - then asked to twirl, or to show the back of the dress, etc.   A year or two ago, they added "Mani-cams" where women were encouraged to show off their manicures. 

In short -   men are interviewed about the movie business, the awards, and their careers.  Women are asked to talk about their appearance.   

Women in the movie business have objected, because it perpetuates the idea that ACTORS are in the business of actually acting, where actresses just have to look good.  Some actresses have been outspoken, and refused to participate in the "show off your nails, show off your dress, shoes, etc."   And more recently, don't want to be asked "who are you wearing?"

Edited by backformore
  • Love 11

Whoopie always looks a hot mess, but IMO she looked especially bad at the Oscars. She's quite homely to begin with, and neither the dress nor the hairdo did her any favors. Yuck!

Watching Raven show how stupid she is by using words that she doesn't even know the meaning of (like plethora) is one of the only things I enjoy about this show. Unfortunately, I don't enjoy it enough to watch daily, so I appreciate all of you who do watch and report back. I also can't stand to watch all the Full/Fuller House crap because I can't stand Candace or Bob Sagat.

I was also thinking of moving to Canada if Trump won the ELECTION, but have decided that Canada isn't big enough for both Raven and me!

• Love 8

That is the Whoopi I loved and was so pleased when way back when she signed on to the View. And why for a long time on these kinds of forums I always had something to say to the likeable and professional side of her. Those days are long gone and I usually just don't say much about her.

Apparently IIHC, the website  Total Beauty that tweeted out the nice tattoo Oprah comment offered to give 10,000 to a charity that Oprah chose and one that Whoopi chose as an apology for their error. IIRC, Whoopi said 'everyone makes mistakes' and was pretty chill about the whole thing. No rant, no comment about the "White Oscars." She accepted the apology.

• Love 1

Airhead Sara Haines 2 for 2 so far this week. I might  able to finally stop watching.

Between her weekly appearances  and all the Fuller House breaking news coverage, I'm done!

Yep I do enjoy the threads, but the show itself is getting harder to watch. THe last time I left (for a long time) was when Bits drove me off.

I didn't see the show today yet - but the controversy has been this -    

On the Red Carpet, various entertainment journalists interview the actors and actresses coming in to the event.   MEN are asked about their movie, their role, what they thought of someone else's movie, what they thought of their director's chances or winning, etc 

Women are asked the designer of the dress, where the jewelry came from, who did their hair, or what they did to get ready for the red carper - then asked to twirl, or to show the back of the dress, etc.   A year or two ago, they added "Mani-cams" where women were encouraged to show off their manicures. 

In short -   men are interviewed about the movie business, the awards, and their careers.  Women are asked to talk about their appearance.   

Women in the movie business have objected, because it perpetuates the idea that ACTORS are in the business of actually acting, where actresses just have to look good.  Some actresses have been outspoken, and refused to participate in the "show off your nails, show off your dress, shoes, etc."   And more recently, don't want to be asked "who are you wearing?"

Yies . I totally understand that. But I thought the men were also asked who they were wearing... maybe not the hair and shoes and mani-s, SO ...yeah I get it now.

Whoopie always looks a hot mess, but IMO she looked especially bad at the Oscars. She's quite homely to begin with, and neither the dress nor the hairdo did her any favors. Yuck!

I give her kudos for trying. Folks gain weight and look less cute when they are older sometimes. It happens. SHe is not KErry Washing ton or Charlize Theron, but at least she seemed to be giving it a try to look dressed up and "nice." That is more than what she does on The View where she comes out in her jammies.

• Love 8

Wow Paula. "But his wife can sit next to her husband, right?" NO Paula. Because his wife is not the wife of the dude sitting next to him....and all the other dudes in the section Gah! SHe is Arabic. How is this so foreign to her?

That is exactly why I HATE IT when the ill informed derail a discussion that is important. Lots of back and forth and back and forth and the core of the issue is totally lost. Listening to that whole conversation, if you weren't familiar with the situation you would have come away from it absolutely confused.

Judaism has different "levels" just like Christian faiths. In christianity, some groups ban alcohol consumption. Some ban caffeine consumption. Some very conservative christian groups ban touching a person of the opposite sex if not a relative.

Of all airlines, you would think that El Al would be prepared for such eventualities as occurred when the man refused to sit next to a woman he was not married to or related to. I personally am surprised that El Al wouldn't ask the question before hand when assigning seats to passengers.

Believe it or not, here in the good ol' US of A, on some bus routes in New York in the hassidic and orthodox areas of the city, these same sorts of informal taboos are practiced. If you are a woman who boards such a bus, you will be denied a seat if it is next to a Hassidim. And you can only sit in certain areas of the bus so as not to "entice and lure" men.

So, with El Al, this whole situation is something that probably has gone on forever but this woman may have been the first to publicly and loudly complain about it.

• Love 5

Oh fudge! I have to take back what I said about correcting Raven, because I thought she said it again on today's show. But in fact, she wasn't on today (Thank you!) and I was sooo happy that neither was Paula---Buuuuuut...she showed up after Hot topics? Whut now? Was it because TPTB thought she would find a reason to defend Trump Drumpf? That he didn't know WHAT the KKK is or who David Duke is? Why was she brought back when Taraji was on? Because ABC feels only she can conduct interviews? Whatever.

And Sara dear, if you feel you need to hire a nanny, not for your child, but to help you "learn" how to be a mother, then maybe you should have thought about that before you got pregnant. And then she goes and contradicts that she has no one to "show" her, when she says she talks to her mom every day. Shouldn't you look to your mother to help you how to be a mother if you're soooooo scairt and you don't know how?

I couldn't help but roll my eyes at her reasons for cutting the needy person out of her life. She was real careful to say how the friend was always calling her, wanting to hang out, and always wanting to take, take, take. And it made me wonder: Did you, YOU, Sara, ever contribute anything to the friendship, that your friend felt she had to pull all the weight, hence become the needy one? I didn't hear a single thing that Sara carried any of the weight. Maybe good riddance from your end, and until I hear from her, I say she should say good riddance at not having you for a friend. I may end up taking these words back later, but all I hear from Sara when it comes to this subject is memememememememememememeeeee. And that she can't be bothered to be a friend because she soooo buuuuuuuussssssssyyyyyyyyyyyy.

And due to the crosstalk (naturally), I didn't catch the details of how/what led to Sarandon's daughter's husband firing the babysitter/nanny. That he was recording him firing her for whatever reason, and then the text or sext was pinged to his phone?  But I do agree with Whoopi (WHUT?!) about the ridiculousness of having *a 72 year old nanny, chasing after a three year old.  That's what grandparents are for, hee! Well, none of my grandparents had to chase me, because I was the opposite of Calvin*

These ladies totally need to watch John Oliver if they want to show proof of Drumpf's out and out lying and making shit up.

And was the interview with Taraji recorded? Because I didn't see any scroll or cgi saying it was, because Paula was gooone, and Sunny and Sara were back after The Lion King teaser.  And we all know WHY Whoopi was reading it, right?

*Calvin and Hobbes

• Love 1
(edited)

Why can they not say who they are wearing at the Oscars? I didn't get it.

I get the reasoning but I  disagree with abolishing the practice.  These movie stars get these dresses for free in part because they are a walking statement/advertisement for the designer.    Also, it made the E! Red Carpet totally boring this year because Ryan Seacrest, Giuliana, etc. don't know how to talk about anything besides the fashion.   In fact they stuck Giuliana in a hotel with Kris Jenner and some others to talk about the clothes.  Worst Red Carpet show in years.   

Vinyasa, even though your posts make me smile, I agree that Sara is mostly an airhead.  She's pretty and isn't nasty but she's definitely an airhead and she tells stories on herself all the time that really back it up.   That said, it's not there is a high standard of intelligence at this table so ...  Anyway, she's about to have her baby and so will most likely be gone a few months and Born Again Barbie is leaving too (some Hallmark Chanel movie) so hang in there. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 3
(edited)

As shown on that F&F segment, #Drumpf's sons are just as objectionable as he is. Anybody that can do this is a horrible person

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3180201/Trump-defends-big-game-hunting-sons-shamed-Twitter-posing-trophy-kills-including-leopard-elephant-death-Cecil-lion.html

Talk about white privilege and general smarminess. 

In the Newshounds piece about the Trump boys' presence on F&F, Raven is misidentified as Demi Lovato. 

http://www.newshounds.us/20160229_on_fox_friends_trump_son_mocks_black_celebrities_who_don_t_support_his_father_as_greatest_endorsement_ever

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 5

Re: The Oscar's fashion discussion. It would be a bigger statement if all the women attending such an event wore similar outfits, in the same way most men wear a standard tuxedo. My point, if you want the discussion to be about your work, don't wear free gowns that are often designed to pull attention.

• Love 8

Vinyasa, even though your posts make me smile, I agree that Sara is mostly an airhead.  She's pretty and isn't nasty but she's definitely an airhead and she tells stories on herself all the time that really back it up.   That said, it's not there is a high standard of intelligence at this table so ...  Anyway, she's about to have her baby and so will most likely be gone a few months and Born Again Barbie is leaving too (some Hallmark Chanel movie) so hang in there.

Great, now we are going to have video updates with her and the baby along with endless promo of some Hallmark movie.

I'm telling you, it isn't going away!!

It continues to crack me up as they have the opening with W,M,J, CCB, R and P yet airhead Sara Haines or Sunny are always there, just like they are regulars. And today, we got both of them!!

• Love 3
(edited)

And was the interview with Taraji recorded? Because I didn't see any scroll or cgi saying it was, because Paula was gooone, and Sunny and Sara were back after The Lion King teaser.  And we all know WHY Whoopi was reading it, right?

"Previously Recorded" popped up at the beginning of the interview. I was looking for it when I saw Paula was there. 

And due to the crosstalk (naturally), I didn't catch the details of how/what led to Sarandon's daughter's husband firing the babysitter/nanny. That he was recording him firing her for whatever reason, and then the text or sext was pinged to his phone?

From what they said, the nanny sent him a text about how sexy he was. She said that it was a text she sent him accidentally, and was meant to be sent to a friend. Michelle added that she'd been staring at him in his room when he received the text... And he recorded himself when he fired her.

In Paula's defense, I (ignorantly) had no idea men and women were separated in synagogues and that a man can't even sit next to a woman that he isn't married to, well, anywhere, I guess? How outrageous the woman was asked to move for this man's sake. Buy an extra seat--don't force your religious views onto complete strangers.

I'd watch the After the View recordings if my Internet connection wasn't so slow. I don't think it's wrong for interviewers to ask about who makes a woman's dress/clothing, but it should NOT be the focus of their questioning.

Btw, I loved Sunny's responses during the Trump talk. Her laughing at Trump's inability to understand how basic government works was gold.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 5

"Previously Recorded" popped up at the beginning of the interview. I was looking for it when I saw Paula was there.

Thanks GreenKnight (I deliberately left off 'The.' Sounded awkward!)

But, it had to have been recorded, like, earlier, right? Before the show aired? Because Whoopi and Joy were wearing the same clothes! So, like, maybe Whoopi was told to show up early? The interview took place maybe a couple hours earlier? 

Yes, yes, I'm thinking entirely too much about this and it's not worth it.

I don't give Paula any slack, because as she likes to remind us me, she's a journalist (Even though she really isn't. Because broadcaster is not the same as journalist), I'm certain she knows what the hot topics are going to be and she should have Googled what it means to be a Hassidic, so she wouldn't sound like a moron during the discussion. Unless that was the intent. Which I doubt.

Raven is already stupid/clueless, so I can handwave her not knowing what the fuck she says when she says it.

• Love 2
(edited)

It looked like they realized they have way too many hosts so they rotated out the ones from the first half of the show and rotated in another for the second half.  With no explanation whatsoever.

Except that they ended with the hosts from the first half of the show.

Edited by bannana
  • Love 1

In Paula's defense, I (ignorantly) had no idea men and women were separated in synagogues and that a man can't even sit next to a woman that he isn't married to, well, anywhere, I guess? How outrageous the woman was asked to move for this man's sake. Buy an extra seat--don't force your religious views onto complete strangers.

It is only the ultra-Orthodox who  demand these behaviors.

• Love 2