Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E16: Top 10 Revealed And Perform

• Start Topic

When they change the rules up so much that even Tara isn't sure how many people are advancing from semifinals seven hours before the first part of the Top 10 was "revealed," you know they're messing with us. 

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap

My guess ... and this is TOTALLY talking out of my a$$ here ... is that given the increasingly poorly-attended (or decreasingly attended?) concert tours of the last few years, I wouldn't be surprised to see them rework it ... 

I think they may want to capitalize on it being the LAST TOUR ... but if they do it, I could see them:

A) Adding a few big-name alumni (and we know now who's willing to be involved based on last week's shows! And maybe they could convince a few other higher-profile idolettes for the right price)

B) Cutting down the number of current finalists who are on the tour to, say, Top 5 (or more, depending on how many noteworthy former contestants they could get to do it ... or maybe even mix those contestants up based on locale ... I mean, hell, I'D buy a ticket if Ruben was going to be there!)

and/or

C) Being more selective with their destinations and venues ... better to sell out a smaller facility than to have a big forum empty and echoing with the sound of despair and a dead franchise.

Maybe a combination of the above, and you'll see a tour ...

• Love 6

My guess ... and this is TOTALLY talking out of my a$$ here ... is that given the increasingly poorly-attended (or decreasingly attended?) concert tours of the last few years, I wouldn't be surprised to see them rework it ... 

I think they may want to capitalize on it being the LAST TOUR ... but if they do it, I could see them:

A) Adding a few big-name alumni (and we know now who's willing to be involved based on last week's shows! And maybe they could convince a few other higher-profile idolettes for the right price)

B) Cutting down the number of current finalists who are on the tour to, say, Top 5 (or more, depending on how many noteworthy former contestants they could get to do it ... or maybe even mix those contestants up based on locale ... I mean, hell, I'D buy a ticket if Ruben was going to be there!)

and/or

C) Being more selective with their destinations and venues ... better to sell out a smaller facility than to have a big forum empty and echoing with the sound of despair and a dead franchise.

Seems like a great idea.  They are moving too fast this season to give the audience a reasonable amount of time to bond with the contestants.  Mixing it up popular past contestants might do the trick.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 2

I'm so glad the cowgirl, the yipper, and the sparkly eyebrow chick got the boot.  

I expected Manny to go but at least he brought some much-needed energy and didn't sing angsty ballads all the time, so I'll miss him.

Olivia Rox is wearing a twee dress.  Ugh.

PLEASE, somebody sing an uptempo song tonight!

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 3

I kind of knew hiccup was toast from last night. Im all psychic like that hehe

They zoom in on someone's face like we're supposed to know who it is and we, here at the house, (WHATH) are all, "who the hell is that?"

• Love 1

Pity. I can't cackle with glee because Tristan and Gianna are still around.

Here's hoping they get booted soon. I feel mean hoping for the booting of a couple young ladies but whatever.

KC looks like she's about to pop like now.

• Love 2

and/or

I think they've already done those last two.  Last year it was Idol 'top 5' at small venues.  Here's a flyer.  Look at those venues and cities.

https://www.mesaartscenter.com/download.php/media/press-releases/201516season/american-idol-returns-this-summer-with-its-14th-consecutive-american-idol-live-tour

If I was a 15/16 year old on this show, I would walk away from the judges thinking "what the heck are they saying" Good grief. 

I really like Tristan but she needs to stop singing songs that are to old for her. Actually all the teen girls need to stop doing this. Tristan sang that Dan and Shay pop/country song like it was a ballad. The arm pumping thing she was doing made it all the more awkward. 

Did not like what Dalton did to that Plain White Tee's song. 

At this point anyone can go home because no one has wowed me. 

Can we vote out Jennifer, Keith and Harry and just keep Kelly to judge for the rest of the season

• Love 11

What the bleep was that? I thought at least half or more of La'Porsha's runs were were either wildly unnecessary or poorly executed (especially in the higher part of her register)...and she gets a ridiculous Big Tent Revival overreaction. Don't get it. At all.

Points to her for not doing Aretha karaoke I guess...

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 9

Is anybody fucking happy?  I am so sick of these songs either show or angsty or both.  So far, the only one who has brought any kind of energy is Dalton.

Trent sounds like a scalded cat.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 5

What the bleep was that? I thought at least half or more of La'Porsha's runs were were either wildly unnecessary or poorly executed (especially in the higher part of her register)...and she gets a ridiculous Big Tent Revival overreaction. Don't get it. At all.

Points to her for not doing Aretha karaoke I guess...

THIS ^^^^

I cannot add anything to it because ...

THIS ^^^^

• Love 6

Standouts for me: Dalton and LA Porsha. Dalton again with the honesty about the eyeliner, his killer eyes and his performance was all fantastic. La Porsha did very well and my mom thinks she's a contender.

Decent: Avalon. I see the make up people got her to agree to some. She's pretty plain but the little she had on was nice. Decent singing.

Meh: Mackenzie

Boring: Gianna and Tristan. Please go home soon.

NO: Olivia and Lee. I did like Lee's giddiness over Chris Medina but that's it.

Good technical performance...and some passion? Seriously? Has Sonika finally broke out of the robot performing and put some actual life? Good performance. A little too similar to the original. I guess I'll keep an eye on her.

Pimp Spot: Trent. Very good. A stand out for me.

So Trent and Dalton did well like I hoped, La Porsha did very well and got my interest for now, my interest is still there for Avalon despite prior song choices. And Sonika surprised me. But still rooting for my guys.

Please let's boot the ones under twenty. I just... *sigh*

And yes not hear Jenn singing anymore. I won't have to worry about my cats attacking my TV.

And soon shall hear Kelly.

• Love 2

Is anybody fucking happy?  I am so sick of these songs either show or angsty or both.  So far, the only one who has brought any kind of energy is Dalton.

Trent sounds like a scalded cat.

WORD... so much WORD. I cant add anything. YES

• Love 2

Olivia: She took a decent Katy Perry song and turned it into a bad Mariah Carey song. Why were the judges slobbing all over that like she wasn't slurring "Unconditionally" or could barely hit the notes? I like Olivia; she seems like a sweet girl, and she does have a good voice that can tackle some good songs. But this wasn't that good.

Gianna: Uh uh. Giana's...kind of getting worse. I like her and I think she has a lot of potential, but she over-enunciates in her upper register (which sounds basic), she pushes certain phrases and kinda lets her voice fall off key on others (she needs to flip-flop that and stop growling for no reason and then half-hitting notes. And finally, Gianna needs to oversing non-songs, not undersing actual songs.

Lee: It's kinda nice seeing a young black guy who has kinda hipster tastes in music. He's good, but thank you Kelly for saying what I've been saying about all these people: you're wanting to strum it out instead of sing it out. And this is the second week they've made Lee look like an underprivileged youth at the Boys and Girls Club of America. "Hey, you liked Chris Medina? Well guess what?! He's here!" Please. He was part of the Incredible Stories from people with Subpar Talent season.

Dalton: What is this Five Seconds of Summer ass shit? And why did they like it? Dalton has good pitch, but he sings under the music...if you want to even call that singing. It was Disney Theme Park goodness.

Avalon: I asked this last night and I haven't gotten answer, but is Avalon a stud? Again, I mean no offense, but: Justin Bieber, Chris Brown, now Shawn Mendes. I'm just saying. She was alright, but...that's another not-competing-on-a-talent-show song. It's nice she can do these radio hits, but this isn't Cool Ass Chick Idol. She has a nice, friendly voice, but she's determined to look like she's not trying. By the way, I hate when the judges praise people and then arbitrarily ding them for doing the exact same shit they cheered them for last week.

Tristian: Tristian has a beauty pageant insincerity that doesn't work for country. She has a full-bodied, expressive voice, and I kind of wish she would do sort of sophisticated R&B in the vein of Tamia or Alicia Keys or Chante Moore or something like that. I think her colorless delivery would work for those kinds of songs. Or, maybe crossover-country/adult contemporary stuff like "I Need You" by Leann Rimes or "I Hope You Dance" by Leann Womack. There is a market for that sort of almost anonymous country/adult stuff and I see her as doing that. But straight-ahead Country? No.

Mackenzie: I think MacKenzie is the one they want to win. I think they left him off the Top 4 last night to give him the pimp spot, and every time I hear him he sounds...like he knows what he's doing. Either that, or he's bookended by High Schoolers and he's the age of a college Senior, but that was good. He sounded like Ed Sheeran through most of that, and they're kinda...selling him a little. That shirt looks like the pattern from a cheap couch at a Local Furniture Store.

La'Porsha: BROCCOLI HEAD BROCCOLI HEAD NO WOOGLE BROCCOLI HEAD. Why does she have a key earring? Is it just me or did they tell everyone in the audience to overreact? It's like when Kathy Griffin said she did the USO Tour and they had these two hot cheerleaders singing "Hero" by Mariah Carey, and they sounded bad but the soldiers were cheating so loud that no one cared. I mean, it was good. Affected. I mean, I don't...is everyone pregnant? Why are y'all cheering like fat girls who can sing are a rarity? If they hadn't stacked the deck with hit-or-miss guitar strummers and nervous high school girls, I doubt anyone would give a rat's ass.

By the way, if you want to hear a good version of "I Put A Spell On You" to cleanse your pallet after Gianna sang it like a Christina Aguilera freestyle, go listen to Lydia Rene. Lydia is a heavyset woman of color who pretty much looks like La'Porsha. But unlike La'Porsha, her head doesn't look like two tons of cabbage.

Sonika: So...when are y'all going to lasso homegirl's eyebrows? This bitch just sang "Bring Me To Life" while giving me life. Ooh, that's what I'm talking about. It fit her voice while not being exactly in her wheelhouse. Her voice has an Amy Lee quality and most people wouldn't make that connection. It was dark, sexy, fearless. Reminded me of Zayra from Rockstar: Supernova. I liked that. I've been waiting for years for someone to do that song on this show. I never imagined it would be lil Sonika. She is now my fucking favorite. And after that overpraise they gave La'Porsha, I liked that she came out with a song and performance that not only was probably one of the smartest choices I've ever seen on this show, but took her out of comfort zone. Not just the best of the night so far, but one of the best of the entire series (think "Summertime" and "Alone"). Very good. She just...sang like somebody somewhere owes her child support.

Trent: Trent's talented and to be so country, you wouldn't expect that voice out of him. But he needs to stop making weird faces when he sings. He tries to sell the song through his face...he's like the Stephen Lynch of blue-eyed soul. He reminds me of Von Smith. Sam Smith was a good song voice, but I think it was fitting they showed Rayvon and Clark -- two choir boys who have a hard time being entertaining for too long.

PRECIOUS GODDAMN WTF?!

Random brilliant idea: Gianna and Avalon need to become an R&B group and do a cover of  "Swing My Way"

Kelly: They made her do all that judging and then she had to sing a ballad? This is an emotional song, awww. Seeing Keith crying is gonna start me off. And Kelly's ass is...what J. Lo's ass wants to be when it grows up. "I'm super pregnant". I love pregnant ass Kelly so much.

Edited by 27bored
  • Love 12

Keith crying got me teary. Dammit.

Kelly's song got me crying before they even showed Keith crying. Holy crap, those lyrics.

Favorite moment of the night: The look on Sonika's mother's face after her daughter performed. She was shocked that her perfect princess could break out like that -- as was I. Well played, Sonika.

• Love 14

I cried along with everyone else who was crying when Kelly sang.  Such powerful lyrics.  I've watched her being interviewed on various talk shows and have to say she sounds like a really nice person.  Came to the show very late so didn't see her season.

I laughed and wanted to ask if Dalton hasn't been told he shouldn't sleep in make-up?!  I do like that he's honest about how the look is achieved.

Whenever I see La Porsha I keep hoping they have excellent security for her.  She did say she's come out of an abusive situation.  Here's hoping all the publicity doesn't bring the ex back into the picture with him trying to make things difficult for her.  Here's hoping if she gets far in the competition the ex also doesn't try to get money from her or try to ride on her coattails for something.

Am I imaging things or did Sonika take huge breaths in between the verses of her song?  I adore the song and thought she did a decent job with it, but found it took something away whenever she took a breath.  What kind of guitar does Mackenzie play?  It looks like it's smaller than a regular guitar or maybe I don't know how big/small a regular guitar is? 

• Love 4

Oh, and shout out to the four that didn't make it. I kinda wished Manny made it, but he was boringsauce. I'm glad Calamity Jane didn't make it through, though. She had on that damn hat again, so I know it was about to be some more bullshit. Now she can go back to Colorado, grow up, marry Jack Twist, and sell tractors and wonder why he's always heading up Wyoming to go fishing 2-3 times a year with Ennis.

IKR! It was so obvious they were hyping her ass up. She can sing, but she reminds me a lot of Jill Scott, someone else who has always been slightly overrated in terms of how profound her talent is supposed to be. I've never been moved by Jill Scott, and La'Porsha is 55% hair and presence, 20% struggle, and 25% voice. Vocally, she's a dime a dozen, even if she's the only one in this competition who sings in this wheelhouse

• Love 8

Pregnant, emotional Kelly might be the best Kelly.

Thank you America for basically getting the six right. I did not think that would happen.

Olivia, Still under the weather with the flu? That sounded pretty rough, despite the judges universally liking it. When she belts (like when she was harmonizing full-blast with David Cook) she has an aggressive warm sounding voice. But other parts of her voice sound shaky and forced. Thinking she could be in a bit of trouble.

Gianna, Pretty sure that Beyonce exposed her as not really ready for this stage of the competition.

Lee, He just kind of does his thing with a really limited voice. Not unpleasant to listen to, but doesn't seem to have many directions he can take it to show much in the way of diversity and versatility.

Avalon, She's definitely in her own lane out of the girls. I worry her style could easily get overlooked. She needs songs with a relaxed "flow", and I think Stitches might have been a hair too manic to really sit well with her voice. Still one of the very few I actually would check in on post-AI.

Dalton, He woke up the show. Kind of like when Lee Dewyze took Owl City's Fireflies and made it so much more rock/pop punk and not so much twee. Thought his comments on David Cook were spot on.

Tristan, Wow that was rough. And really that should be the type of song that she excels at. A modern country song with heavy pop/R&B undertones. She should've killed that but just doesn't seem capable of singing in tune while she moves around the stage. On merit she should go, but I think she'll outlast two of Olivia, Gianna and Lee.

MacKenzie, I irrationally love that Ed Sheeran song so I can't be totally unbiased here. Still I thought this was pretty much MacKenzie in cruise control. I'm just not sure there's another version of MacKenzie that doesn't involve him doing his own original songs.

La'Porsha, Made my thoughts known upthread. I just don't get it. I thought she swallowed words, and had really unpleasant sounding "runs" that they of course slurped to high heaven. The audience reaction was so OTT I'm tempted to explore the grassy knoll to try and better understand it.

Sonika, Goth Pageant Girl! She desperately needed a performance to build her confidence and break out of the boring ballad box. She zigged Evanescence when I thought she might zag towards an uptempo Demi Lovato song. She made it work though. The black dress played it's part too.

Trent, I think it ultimately comes down to if you enjoy his falsetto. I do (if I don't stare directly at him for his entire performances), and I thought this was pretty good. Kelly's comment about adding in some more dynamics hit right on the nose. Hopefully he listens.

I'll say two of the first three who sang (Olivia, Lee and Gianna) get the boot next week.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 1

I can't express how much I love me some Kelly Clarkson, and she was perfect from start to finish. Hilarious, adorable, awkward, and brilliant all at the same time. I think she may have made it through without crying if it wasn't for Keith Urban's crying, just like when she cried when she won because her momma was crying. Kelly has always been so honest and that song is gorgeous.

• Love 18

Did not like what Dalton did to that Plain White Tee's song. 

He did the Me First and the Gimme Gimme's version of it.  And man did it show the weakness of his voice.  I love him and all, but he really can't sing very well.

La'Porsha.  DAMN GIRL.  I got nuffin'.

McKenzie was awesome in his McKenzie lane and I really loved Trent tonight for the first time ever.  

And Sonika.  Ok.  She might be a sleeper.  That was the epitome of "Go big or go home." for her and I loved it.

And Kelly.  You killed Keith. 

Edited by areca
  • Love 8
Gianna, Pretty sure that Beyonce exposed her as not really ready for this stage of the competition.

Beyonce just keeps causing controversy! LOL. But I think you're right. The problem with Gianna is that she has a good voice, but doesn't entirely know what to do with it. I kind of wonder who her influences are, because she might need to hit the books, so to speak. The way she strobes many of her words lii-ii-ii-ii-ii-ke this and the random growling of words makes me think she listens to Christina, but I wonder who she's listened to that has made her sing "I Put A Spell on You" twice. Maybe she saw someone else do it on The Voice or when Annie Lennox on the Grammys a few years back? At any rate, she has a good voice, but I think she's gonna have to be careful about picking the right songs. Part of her problem is she needs to stop doing serious diva songs with a smile on her face. Her mom needs to break it to her gently that she looks basic as hell when she does that.

• Love 2

Avalon was an example of how they can clean up someone's personal style without changing it.  La'Porsha take lessons...that thing on your head makes you look 20 years older than you are...and drop the Renea part of your name.  If you are going to drop your last name just La'Porsha works fine.  

That tshirt Keth was wearing looked like he found it under the bed.  

I wonder what would have happened to Idol if they hadn't gotten so lucy to have Kelly be their first winner.

• Love 5

All these fucking remembrances from Kelly and you didn't show "Stuff Like That There?" What the hell, show.

The recap made Olivia sound worse than she was and I thought she was pretty bad.

Dalton is fun, and for that I love him.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 13

This was my first time watching this season. Probably the only time I'll watch save for the finale and I watched for Kelly Clarkson. So don't have much to add on the singers. I liked the last two girls who sang and I liked the blone haired sort of punk rocker guy.

Oh Kelly Clarkson just broke my heart with that song. It broke my heart when I first heard it. As someone who almost bought tickets to a concert last summer before she had to end up cancelling the rest of her shows , I've never heard her sing it live. I bet if she wasn't almost du sh would be probably be able to do more stuff for the show since is the final season but alas she cannot. Which makes me sad.

• Love 7