Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E14: Code Of Silence

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Oliver and team uncover HIVE's plan to take out Team Arrow once and for all. With HIVE's next attack imminent, Lance wonders if Donna is safer without him in her life. Meanwhile, with the wedding fast approaching, Oliver begins to feel guilty that he hasn't told Felicity about his son.

I survived all the falling anvils. Boy, will I be happy when the ~secrets and lies~ are done.

On its own, this was a mostly entertaining episode in that I didn't outright hate it. I loved that Donna didn't put up with Lance's crap even though Felicity pushed them back together at the end.

I mildly appreciate that SA tried to make Oliver sympathetic, but nope. He can fuck off. I eagerly await Felicity dumping him. (And then I'll be sad until their inevitable reunion.) I suppose Thea's as good as any one to support the lie, though apinknightmare made a very good point in the Spoiler thread that Thea's really not one to talk about keeping lies for good reasons based on the way she reacted to her own family lie.

EBR looked gorgeous at the engagement party. They've really stepped up styling her since she's been in the wheelchair.

Curtis Stu's going to make Felicity walk again. He's so cute I don't even care that he's amazing at everything.

There was A LOT of spinning in those fight scenes. Can we do more than spin kicks?

I see that William gets his dad's smarts. Chilling with the enemy with no concern that anything is wrong. Can the Darhk's keep him?

So, everyone looked really pretty. That's about the biggest takeaway I got from this episode. Also, that I can actually watch the flashbacks and still not remember anything that happened in them except that #Poppy is still not a good actress. #sorrynotsorry

• Love 11

I liked a lot of it. I loved Felicity. I loved Curtis and Paul. Curtis is possibly the sweetest guy ever.

I enjoyed Lance and Laurel.

The stunts didn't suck. I enjoyed Oliver's bike jump.

I enjoyed Thea's fighting, not so much her speech. Because ugh. But even then I can see where she's coming from. Because she's coming from an almost completely opposite point than Ollie. William, as well duh, could be targeted. That's a real fact.

I guess the writers really did forget it was 2 million dollars though.

For me, Donna was the standout of the whole show. She can't be in the grave, she's too adorable.

• Love 4

Oliver not seeing how an outstanding $1M check to BM could possibly have any bad blowback to him.

Quentin to Oliver: "You're lucky you're with someone you don't keep secrets to."

Donna telling Felicity how great her relationship with Oliver is because they have no lies between them and that Oliver will be a great father someday.

The whole bullshit diatribe that Guggenheim has been spouting in the media (as he kept on trying to make excuses for the BM drama after the 4x08 blowback) being made canon and coming out of the mouth of Thea Queen, who was lied to all her life and would absolutely know how secrets can destroy relationships.

All the Anvils about all the LIEEESSSSS...

atwchy9mur260d7ifk7o.png

I feel dumber by about 10 IQ points after this episode. Thanks, Arrow!

• Love 23

I HATE THIS BABY PLOT! I HATE IT SO MUCH!!!!!

HATE HATE HATE! 

So, Thea is all about lying to protect people, huh? Because Thea was THRILLED when she found out about the secrets everyone was keeping from her, right? Huh? God I cannot deal with them sacrificing Thea to this madness! 

• Love 18

"Pin The Junk On The Hunk"?? Ewwwww. No, Donna. Just . . . no.

Awesome that Thea managed to put two and two together about William. But then she tells Oliver what he wants to hear. Between that and all of the trust anvils falling from the heavens, the next few episodes should be downright unbearable. We're talking Buffy/Smallville anvils.

Can't blame Quentin for not confiding in Donna. How can he tell her that their daughters are full-time crime-fighters. The part he did tell her was pretty brutal, about working for the guys who crippled her daughter.

Meh on Demolition Team. I think the Wrecking Crew from Marvel is more recognizable with their Loki-powered tools.

Curtis Holt: Best employee ever? Sure, he gave Felicity a plot device, but it was from the heart.

And, once again, Damien sucks. So does his wife. What kind of name is "Ruve," anyway? And the flashbacks still aren't compelling.

• Love 4

JFC. On so many levels.

Thank God Thea was the one to talk to Oliver. It would have killed me to heat that festering, steaming pile of bullshit come out of Diggle’s mouth. Hey Thea, remember how your family lost its entire fortune because you're just A-okay with lies? 

On a positive note, I love Curtis and his screen saver nearly made me pee my pants. I need that screen saver.

• Love 15

What are the symptoms of a concussion? Fairly certain I have one after all of those damn anvils. Holy shit this was a heavy handed episode. Beat you over the head with a shovel repeatedly heavy.

Secret not outed at debate we were all wrong on that.

Curtis curing Felicity we all got that right even though none of us wanted it. Granted I'm so disguted by this episode I'll take that little glimmer of hope about Felicity walking. I now expect 415 will end with Felicity going in for surgery and she'll be walking by 416 (post 2 week break).

The CGI building explosion was really bad.

Thea Fucking Merlyn/Queen being a massive hypocrite was unbelievable. Way to go show, bunch of dumbasses.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 15

I have developed a Pavlovian response the flashbacks. I grab my phone and start scrolling through Twitter without even realizing it.

It was a relief to finally hear Oliver's thoughts and justifications for keeping William a secret. I wish we could have heard that sooner, as I was slightly more endeared towards him after getting to see how much keeping the secret was hurting him. However, I very much wish Thea would have smacked him in the face with his idiocy instead of helping him double down. Now I'm mad at both of them. 

Curtis's gift was touching, but I really wish that Felicity could have been able to do that for herself. I also wish that she hadn't needed Curtis's help again to hack into the laptop. She used to be able to do all of these things herself, Arrow!

Would have loved the Donna/Felicity scene if it hadn't been raining anvils the entire time. I'm glad all the secrets and lies will be out in the open soon, but I am honestly dreading these next few episodes.

• Love 5

Brilliant, beautiful Queen children.....

Take it from someone with a degree in political science (focus in campaigning) and a different degree in journalism - the purpose of opposition research on your own candidate is to attempt to figure out what your opposition can find out about you - and get ahead of it.  The theory is that if YOU can find it - your opponent can find it.  Ergo, even without Malcolm spilling the delicious beans - presumably a decent look into Oliver's past by a good researcher or journalist (I know they are a dying breed, but they do exist) would reveal the same things Thea found. 

Tell Felicity and your team while you can still do something to protect the boy you infinitely stupid, but beautiful siblings!!!!!!

Edited by nksarmi
  • Love 15

Guys, one thing that I find spectacularly funny is that William's two shitty parents don't care at all about his safety. And that Damien Darhk, evil person, actually seems to be making sure the kid is safer than either one of his parents ever has. LMAO

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 10

WTH just happened to Thea "I'm leaving with my mass murdering bio-dad because you lied to me" Queen?

Except for that, I liked it.  How convenient of Alex's mom to need surgery so they didn't have to pay the actor. Why exactly did they hire him in the first place?

I liked Felicity telling her mother to have faith in Lance. It's the flip of the conversation they had earlier in the season.

Still don't care about the flashbacks.  Conklin was the only interesting character there.

I'm glad there was most light in the fight scenes so I could see them better but still went on for too long.

Thank you, Curtis. And here's hoping Felicity can walk when she walks away from Oliver.  (I wonder what Donna and Quentin will say about The Lie.)

And, once again, Damien sucks. So does his wife. What kind of name is "Ruve," anyway?

Neil McDonough's wife's name.

Guys, one thing that I find spectacularly funny is that William's two shitty parents don't care at all about his safety. And that Damien Darhk, evil person, actually seems to be making sure the kid is safer than either one of his parents ever has. LMAO

It's going to be tons of fun when we find out the it's baby momma in that grave they have been showing us all season and we get the "make sure William doesn't figure out his dad is the Green Arrow" hijinks next season.  Maybe they'll raise Darhk's little girl while they are at it - how much do these show runners want to copy Gothem?

So tired of Flashback Island. At least Conklin's dead, so that horse can stop getting trotted out. Now if we can just get to the Occult McGuffin, I could be more patient with the flashbacks, instead of mute/change channels/eye-rolling.

I am glad that Quentin decided to come clean to Donna. She told him she was ready to ride with him when he spewed the obvious garbage about a gambling debt. Q &D "got" to learn about trust this ep, so I hope there's nothing stupid for a long stretch for them. Let them be relatively happy, Show. They have earned it.

Curtis has all but been christened! Huzzah! Also, Curtis  goes to the same science place Cisco and Harry Wells shop at. I'm okay with that. Also, Curtis' husband is still cute.

I was disappointed in Thea okaying the lie of omission, but I get her POV. Ollie is a dangerous person to be around. Very bad folks want to hurt him on a constant basis. That is no life for a child. Yet, neither side- Oliver or William's mom- were being completely honest, so whatever she wanted was going to be lop-sided anyway. While I'm not a fan of her character, I do hope she isn't dead. Bad visitation rules aren't worthy of death.

What was up with the Ivy Town neighbor? Just being nice or a portent of how far some evil web goes?

I whooped unrepentantly at the preview. I really hope it is a fun episode. I am looking forward to it!

I have to give props to Echo Kellum for making Curtis -- the mary suest Mary Sue who ever mary sued -- into a legit full fledged character.

But it's still shitty that he's now the main tech person on Arrow.

Well, I mean, he is terrific! Oliver said it himself!

• Love 4

For the first time ever, my husband and son watched Arrow with me tonight.

Son: Has that Arrow guy gained weight?

Husband: Yeah--it's from all those lies he's carrying around.*

That's all I've got.

*He knows this because of my refusal to take his disinterest as a reason to stop talking to him about it, and I probably said "You're a stupid fat liar, Oliver" at least 10 times tonight alone.

• Love 18

Did they really just have Thea - the one character who has preached about being lied to and not wanting secrets and lies anymore - support Oliver lying? LMAO you couldn't make this crap up.

At least it wasn't Diggle though.

• Love 20

Huh? Darhk is the one who's threatening the kid's safety. Oliver is one thing but how/why would the BM know that the kid's in danger? That's now her concern from 408. She just thinks Oliver's a dick. I do wonder why neither of them knows that their kid's been kidnapped. That's bizarre. 

Edited by hogwash

I have developed a Pavlovian response the flashbacks. I grab my phone and start scrolling through Twitter without even realizing it.

Right there with you. My phone magically come out every time the flashback swoosh sound starts up. The only joy I get is trying to figure out what the hell accent the island women is doing. I looked the actress up, and it looks like shes Canadian, attempting to do...Ukrainian? Because it sounds like a bad Catherine of Aragon impression with the occasional bits of Eastern Europe sneaking in. 

• Love 1

Huh? Darhk is the one who's threatening the kid's safety. Oliver is one thing but how/why would the BM know that the kid's in danger? She just thinks Oliver's a dick. I do wonder why neither of them knows that their kid's been kidnapped. That's bizarre. 

He might be threatening the kid's safety to Oliver, but as of now he's sat the kid down with his own daughter so they could color together. Seems like the most innocuous kidnapping ever. 

BM should know the kid's in danger because by her own words, she keeps tabs on Oliver in the news. She'd know Oliver had gotten shot at on the beach, outed Damien Darhk, and then got shot at in the limo - an event that paralyzed his fiancé. She's crazy to let Oliver around him at this point. Meanwhile Oliver brushed off Malcolm knowing about him, brushed off the check that could lead to the Adams campaign finding out about the kid, brushed off telling everyone after Thea put the pieces together.

Amazingly shitty parenting by everyone but Darhk so far.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 13

Donna and Lance are adorable. Loved that Felicity was wearing a STAR Labs sweatshirt during her talk with mom. Could Samantha be in the grave? Cause how else did Damien get William? Nice motorcycle stunts, Curtis is awesome and Thea just pulled a fire alarm.

God, they'd better overcome this stupid lie.

• Love 3

Once again, it was an ok episode, kind of forgettable. They seemed to take the easy way out throughout majority of it though. I was BEYOND disappointed that we didn't see the debate and Oliver just sooo easily won it, so boring. 

The only really good things that stood out to me were the Laurel/Quentin, Quentin/Donna, and Oliver/Thea scenes. Other then that it did very little to wow me. Sucks we didn't get that Laurel/Donna getting to know each other scene.

• Love 2

Also, I was seething with rage during this part, but how did Thea explain an uncashed check being found in an audit? Did they find Moira's check register, or did someone came across a copy of the check? 

I didn't even think of that. I kept wondering who writes a check for a million dollars, and what teller would believe it was real. 

• Love 4

ummmm. Okay. It wasn't a bad episode, but.. I may just be really tired which is why I don't care.

I doubt it's Darkh who went to get the kid, for all we know a minion did it, I assume we'll know more next more.

Oliver didn't really "brush off the check" he seemed pretty worried.. worried that Thea found it, so I think he was acting not worried to try and get her off scent.. which obviously failed cause Thea is smart.

Speaking of Thea... I like her, but man! tonight she went to Laurel level of stupid. how did she manage to flip from wanting Oliver to tell Felicity to understanding BM and supporting her in less than one minute?!!-- to her plus side: I did think she looked a bit put off when Oliver said what she told him was what he needed to hear.

can we go awww!! to destroyed laptops and first meetings?

I like Donna, and I would like to play pin the junk on the hunk. I know a couple of people (male included!) who are a little like Donna, they can be very tiring! but so much fun to be around. people like her to exist is what I am trying to say.

Oh I think Curtis officially moved to Gary-Stu levels for me, I like him but i'm growing to not care, and the Terrific line from Oliver was officially one time too many, they need to stop or they are running the risk of me growing to hate this character (which is a shame because he's a cutie pie!!

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 3

Also, I was seething with rage during this part, but how did Thea explain an uncashed check being found in an audit? Did they find Moira's check register, or did someone came across a copy of the check? 

They showed that Thea indeed has a photocopy of the unsigned check?   So I guess Moira did indeed make a copy of it which someone stumbled across while going thru paperwork during an audit?

• Love 3

I can see where Thea was coming from, but letting your soon to be wife know that you have a kid doesn't put that kind in anymore danger then  her not knowing. Unless she has a big mouth and can't be trusted but Felicity is neither of those so it doesn't make sense.

• Love 6

How did they get a picture of the cheque if it wasn't cashed?  Or did they actually remember that there are two cheques?

And who keeps a million dollars in a chequing account where it doesn't earn interest?  No wonder the Queens lost their money.

The only joy I get is trying to figure out what the hell accent the island women is doing. I looked the actress up, and it looks like shes Canadian, attempting to do...Ukrainian? Because it sounds like a bad Catherine of Aragon impression with the occasional bits of Eastern Europe sneaking in. 

Romanian,  Just to emphasize it, her brother was called Vlad.

• Love 1

I think everyone else already pointed out the obvious -- this is one of the stupidest storylines ever (and for Arrow, that's saying something). 

But seriously, was that Thea with the most idiotic rationalization? Oh, yes, keep it a secret from your fiancee, who also kept your secret about being a masked vigilante for years (at great personal cost) from the public and your FAMILY. Show, Oliver's actions and Lance's are completely different. 

I feel like they just want Thea and Felicity to never be friends/have a moment of connection. Sigh.

Also did anyone else think there was a weird moment after Felicity (gushingly, which was a bit weird, but clearly is intended to make Oliver feel more guilty) mentioned how the damaged hard drive was how they met, and Laurel kind of brusquely mentioned making a list of potential targets. Just seemed like an odd timing in terms of the reading of the scene for all involved. 

The direction wasn't as nausea-inducing as last time, but the push in on the eye really needs to stop. And considering Bamford directed, I kept noticing hits not connecting and the stunt doubles in the fight. (But points for showing Digg's RIDICULOUS helmet fall off. That was probably the highlight of the ep)

• Love 5

I can see where Thea was coming from, but letting your soon to be wife know that you have a kid doesn't put that kind in anymore danger then  her not knowing. Unless she has a big mouth and can't be trusted but Felicity is neither of those so it doesn't make sense.

It especially doesn't make sense considering Barry knows, Malcolm (A VILLIAN!!!) knows, and now Thea knows. It isn't a secret at this point, and Oliver brushing off the fact that Thea was able to put 2+2 together and trace the kid just makes Oliver look like an even bigger moron (if that's possible). 

• Love 18

He might be threatening the kid's safety to Oliver, but as of now he's sat the kid down with his own daughter so they could color together. Seems like the most innocuous kidnapping ever. 

BM should know the kid's in danger because by her own words, she keeps tabs on Oliver in the news. She'd know Oliver had gotten shot at on the beach, outed Damien Darhk, and then got shot at in the limo - an event that paralyzed his fiancé. She's crazy to let Oliver around him at this point. Meanwhile Oliver brushed off Malcolm knowing about him, brushed off the check leading to the Adams campaign finding out about the kid, brushed off telling everyone after Thea put the pieces together.

Amazingly shitty parenting by everyone but Darhk so far.

True. Though I refuse to give Darhk credit for just kidnapping and a playdate instead of just kidnapping and murder. The BM's ultimatum was already nonsensical and bizarre without them taking away the vague justifications (keeping about the kid safe and out of the spotlight) behind it. But the safety thing went out the freaking window in 409. And even Thea can figured it out so... All this bullshit is just to break them up?? Seriously?

• Love 2

I liked the episode other that the dumb horrible lie of course.I knew they want to present this as needed to protect the kid but its so dumb and their reasoning is so full of holes its hard to ignore even if you try really hard lol.I want to like Thea and I do a lot of the time but its like the writers just use her to prop unpopular characters and keep Malcolm relevant and nothing else.It made no sense for her to say that lying protects the kid.From the public yes but Felicity knowing is no threat and actually keeps him a lot safer because her skills can help more than anything really.At least it wasn't Diggle or Laurel though.

Tbh I'm just ignoring this as much as I can.I enjoy olicity so much and they make the show so much better for me that I'm not letting a contrived storyline thats only there to stall them ruin that for me.I'm sure he will face consequences so whatever.Also I forgive them for everything lf baby mama and the kid end up in witness protection and are gone forever.They can say Oliver reconnected with the kid after the show ended or something as long as I don't have to see it.Seriously they're making me feel like a jerk for hating a kid this muchl ol.

So happy she got the cure.I needed that to happen to deal with the baby mama crap and the break up.I didn't want Curtis inventing it but I don't mind how it happened.It wasn't a storyline he took over and it happened offscreen.I was expecting magic so a cure like this is better imo.

• Love 3

I can't believe how RUSHED this debate was, it is the most disappointing aspect of the episode for me. We saw NOTHING of it, DDs wife was wasted, and to have her clearly lose as if she did a horrible job? Then why would they bring her in, in the first place?

• Love 7