Type keyword(s) to search

My Lottery Dream Home - General Discussion

• Start Topic

A rerun old enough that David doesn’t have tigers crawling up and down his neck. Couple from Laurel, Mississippi won $1 M, planning on spending $800K on a vacation house. So guessing they didn’t need the cash to pay bills. She fancies herself a decorator and David is humoring her. Why do I say that? They showed what she’d done in their home—kitschy corny! Ugh.

• Love 3
(edited)

I remember that, they bought the beachy yellow house.     I don't know how often, but it's posted for rent for a nice price for vacationers.      She was an ER doctor, so probably makes a decent salary, so having an investment/vacation place at the beach is probably pretty profitable.        I'm sure over the years the rental income will pay for that home many times over.      From what I've heard from people here that rent places at the beach, the more kitschy the better.    Anything you do that screams 'beachy' sells.   

Even though someone wins several million, you never know what their debt load is, student loans, relatives that need help (assisted living can be up to $6-10,000 a month), pay off student loans, current living costs, college for the kids, or something else.    The people that win the lottery, and keep the money are the ones that don't spend every penny.      I do enjoy the ones who really spend a lot, but I like it better when that's only a small part of what they won.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 5/2/2020 at 1:49 AM, buttersister said:

Couple from Laurel, Mississippi won $1 M, planning on spending $800K on a vacation house.

This always cracks me up with this show. If you win a million, at least 30% goes to taxes so you end up with not even $800K. At least that's what happens where I live. This particular winner must have some $$$ before winning. 

On 3/11/2017 at 7:18 AM, ByaNose said:

OMG! I just can't with this show anymore. A couple win 1 million in a scratch off and buy a new house for $115,000. WTF??? They should be calling this show My Lottery Dream Home: The Poverty Edition. I want people who win 5-10 Million and buying big massive homes. If I want to watch people buying a house for $115,000,  I could videotape myself doing it. 

you should watch 'the lottery changed my life....some buy these big mansions they also have sad stories that show the flip side of what can happen when you win

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

if people want to have tats that is their business....you can tell what season it is by how many tats David has... I like him but .I find the tats  distracting because I  can't tell what they are>>> I am sure they mean something to him  bu tall I see is some kind of pattern all over his arm...someone said tigers on his neck, I had no idea.....if you can't tell what the tats are..That is kind of a fail.....

Edited by sue450
  • Love 4

So one of the reruns tonight (from 2017) was a Buffalo, NY couple and their not-quite-weaned middle-aged son. Dad got the winning ticket and wanted to buy homes for he and his wife and their sons. The one who lives very nearby and, I guess, another one in a different state who will visit.

Anyway, there was snark a plenty available. At one point, David wonders aloud if the parents will ever but the cord with the nearby son. But at the end, the couple was so sweet and happy that I just wish them well. (I'll be quarantining for a long time;-)

• Love 1
(edited)

The second son of the Buffalo couple bought a house in Florida (he's apparently lived there for years), the parents bought the house too.    The house is huge, with enough bedrooms, and separation for the son, his visiting brother, and the parents.  The brother from Buffalo comes to visit, and the parents apparently stay the winter with him.    They seem like a lovely family. 

I got a kick out of the update show last night.   The lady who bought the condo in Indianapolis was moving to Michigan, and sold her condo easily.   Then the new townhouse in Michigan kept getting delayed more and more, so she moved back to Indy.   Her parents decided to retire to Florida, so she bought their palatial home, and did some painting, and updates (her pink childhood room is now lovely, and no long fit for a 10 year old).   She had her cousin with her on the initial house hunt, and the cousin actually went on a date with David.     

The lady near Boston that wanted a garden space was on, and she's loving the home they bought.     She's the one that said you never put a sofa in front of the big street front window, because of drive bys.     So her husband wanted his chair there, and it is.   

This week's show is another hour long one with Brenda (the lady in Ohio with all of the great 50s clothes, and the crinolines) at least I think that's who she is.   Plus, David talking about the tattoos people ask about the most. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Really enjoyed last night's episode featuring the sweet couple and their adorable little toddler girl from Arlington, Virginia where I also reside. I thought that his choices were all fantastic and was quite shocked that he was able to locate three beautiful properties between $400,000-$500,000. Those were amazingly great prices.

If you don't live in the DMV, you may not know how incredibly expensive housing is here. For example, the monthly rent for just a one bedroom apartment can greatly exceed what the majority of the country would pay for a monthly mortgage on a large single family home. Please correct me, but I think that this episode was filmed in either 2018 or 2019 and housing prices then were as high as they are now.

Lovely home--they settled on the townhouse--for a lovely little family.

I'll second that! They had reasonable expectations, even if the realtor voiced "concerns" at the start. But they supported each other, even when they "disagreed" and they made a great choice.

Stayed by Embassy Row in an Air BNB last fall--saw a lot of cool neighborhoods there and along the drive to Silver Spring, MD. Point was made to me that housing in many neighborhoods becomes available every four to eight years😉

• Love 1
10 hours ago, javajeanelaine said:

I couldn't believe the shots of David's condo.  Garish at best.

I know.  It's like he's going off the deep end and OTT with everything.  Too much.  And I'd have expected a nicer condo. too.  It looked like Home Goods and Michael's exploded in there.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

I bet David moved into the first place he found, when he needed one.   I think he said it's in South Beach, so garish isn't unusual.     I bet this lockdown is the most days he's been in that condo since he's lived there.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
16 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I bet David moved into the first place he found, when he needed one.   I think he said it's in a South Beach type of area, so garish isn't unusual.     I bet this lockdown is the most days he's been in that condo since he's lived there.   

The place he was in for the show was in Orlando. he later said he had a condo in Miami as well.

8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I know.  It's like he's going off the deep end and OTT with everything.  Too much.  And I'd have expected a nicer condo. too.  It looked like Home Goods and Michael's exploded in there.

It probably looks better when it's not decorated for a holiday.  I think he just wanted to brighten up the place with the paper flowers, and he was bored while in quarantine.  

I don't usually watch this show anymore.  I got a bit tired of it, and like others, I find the tattoos distracting.  He probably lives in Orlando so as to be close to an international airport.  Miami has one too of course, but maybe this is more convenient for him.  He's probably not there a lot, so he doesn't really need a big space.  I wonder if he has a home somewhere but doesn't want to talk about it on TV.   He sees so many great places across this country.  I'm sure he has a few favorite areas he'd like to call home!  Orlando is really booming.  I drive through there when traveling to see my family.  I can hardly believe how many condos are going up in that area.  Aside from being quarantined, I'm sure he's not bored living there.  There's so much to do in that area besides Disney.  

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

It probably looks better when it's not decorated for a holiday.  I think he just wanted to brighten up the place with the paper flowers, and he was bored while in quarantine.  

Actually, according to him and the photos he showed us, his place is more often decorated for a holiday than not.  He showed photos from Christmas and said he had something like 34 trees in that little apartment!  I'm not exaggerating!  It was out of control.  And that was before the quarantine.  He also mentioned the 4th of July and Easter.  So that's just the way he decorates it all the time, not because he's going stir crazy in isolation.

• Love 3

Last nights show was the visit with the lady who bought the place on the lake, and it needed a lot of work.    They're still working on the lakeside cottage, and have done almost all of the fix ups.     The hideous fake fur coat David wore on that episode was his biggest fashion fail, according to him.   It was the black fake fur, with white spots on it, and looked like he hunted a Muppet down for the coat.     

He talked about his tattoos, and said that his parents can't stand the tiger ones on his neck.   

The lady last week with the update was Gail, from Boston.   

On 5/25/2020 at 6:12 AM, debraran said:

This shows staged pics of his Miami home few years ago. Orlando was not bought yet.

https://www.popsugar.com/home/photo-gallery/38235143/image/38236070/dining-area-features-David-Do-I-Have-Something-My-Teeth

Then this tour was totally different, everything is much more over the top in Miami

https://www.hgtv.com/design/decorating/design-101/house-tours-david-bromstads-true-colors-pictures

That was interesting.  I wonder why David is increasingly going over the top with his design AND his body art.  I always want to know what's really going on with someone when they exhibit behavior like this.  He just seems too overly happy and into himself these days.  I'm not completely buying it and it's making me uncomfortable.

On 5/30/2020 at 6:39 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Last nights show was the visit with the lady who bought the place on the lake, and it needed a lot of work.    They're still working on the lakeside cottage, and have done almost all of the fix ups.     The hideous fake fur coat David wore on that episode was his biggest fashion fail, according to him.   It was the black fake fur, with white spots on it, and looked like he hunted a Muppet down for the coat.     

He talked about his tattoos, and said that his parents can't stand the tiger ones on his neck.   

The lady last week with the update was Gail, from Boston.   

OMG, when he went through his closet like he was so excited about putting together the most hideous outfits I cringed, and I'm a fashion lover, not afraid of color or thinking outside the box either!

He seems to be thumbing his nose at everyone about not liking his tattoos.  Dude, sometimes when the whole world doesn't like something it's time to man up and admit you may have made a mistake.  He conveniently admitted to something relatively minor in that one outfit just to show that he's capable of admitting to a fashion fail once in a while, but that was a tame mistake compared with the neck tattoos.  

I don't know what happened to him, maybe too many drugs or alcohol or whatever, but he was never like this before and the more time goes on the more I think he needs some kind of professional help.  Seriously, I used to love him!

• Love 6

Last night's home episode was David showing his workout routine.    

The couple in Missouri, where he proposed at the end of the episode were on.    They married, and love the home.     The house was bought with lighter gray paint, and the couple, and David said it needed to be darker to look warmer.   That made zero sense to me, but they painted it a few shades of gray darker, and I think it looks cold now.   

He revisited the couple from Virginia Beach, and they're doing very well, and look so happy.   They're the couple that both sat in the bathtub (the house they already owned), and wanted David to climb in too.     David did say on the revisit that he'd love to come to a pool party at their place.  

On 6/7/2020 at 1:25 AM, buttersister said:

Why does David have giant paper flowers all over the walls? Or plastic flowers? Or whatever Pastel Hell had vomited all over his room?

I know it's like a Michaels and Home Goods exploded all over it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Is it ok to discuss David’s other shows here? HGTV showed a couple episodes of Color Splash (which ran from 2007-2012), and showed David’s design choices. I watched one about bring outdoor colors indoors, and then he painted the internal trim neon yellow/green and designed custom wallpaper with trees. The woman he hired to hang it told people she didn’t like it, and they told David, who promptly called her on it and basically forced her to say she liked it once his brilliance had all come together. (He’d jokingly called himself “brilliant” earlier in the episode.)

Two thoughts: For someone from MN, he didn’t seem to get the whole “Minnesota Nice” of her reply, and a good Minnesota boy would never be so indelicate as to embarrass someone who is probably older than his mother. Also, good luck to the homeowners when they go to resell. They’re either going to have to pay to undo it before listing or lower the price a bit to accommodate the work the new owners will have to do. Not many people would want that look!

Edited by Kiddvideo
Typos matter and can change context
  • Love 1

I recorded the "new" Color Splash shows today mostly to enjoy seeing David sans tattoos. Boy, what a difference! I liked David when he was on Design Star and it is hard to watch him now. He has to be running out of room to add any more tats but who knows? He was so nice looking way back when and I actually cannot watch him anymore. Maybe if he hadn't added the neck tats? And he has his legs completely covered also.

• Love 4
On 7/10/2020 at 11:48 PM, suebee12 said:

I recorded the "new" Color Splash shows today mostly to enjoy seeing David sans tattoos. Boy, what a difference! I liked David when he was on Design Star and it is hard to watch him now. He has to be running out of room to add any more tats but who knows? He was so nice looking way back when and I actually cannot watch him anymore. Maybe if he hadn't added the neck tats? And he has his legs completely covered also.

I think David's personality has also changed a lot even since only a couple of years ago.  He's just as different on "Lottery Dream Home" from 2018 as he was on "Color Splash"!  I can't imagine what could have made him change so much in such a short time.  I've theorized that it coincided with a big break up from his ex.  But who knows?  He would probably want to argue with us that he's more "fabulous" now than before and that he's more "himself" now too, but I sense fakeness in him now that I didn't feel before.  Me and my fancy graduate degree in Psychology thinks he's reacting to some kind of pain, and it feels kind of sad.

• Love 2

We've just discovered the show here in the UK and we love it. David's personality makes the show what it is, he's so positive and enthusiastic.

After binge watching we noticed the format is formulaic. 

Also when you see the house buyers in the house they chose at the end of the show there are many items in the house that were there before,  like hand cleaner and tea towels in the kitchen. So either it's their house anyway or to save the film crew coming back 3 months etc later they film the people in their house of choice why still on set and a pretence of family and friends coming around.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, UKWatcher said:

We've just discovered the show here in the UK and we love it. David's personality makes the show what it is, he's so positive and enthusiastic.

After binge watching we noticed the format is formulaic. 

Also when you see the house buyers in the house they chose at the end of the show there are many items in the house that were there before,  like hand cleaner and tea towels in the kitchen. So either it's their house anyway or to save the film crew coming back 3 months etc later they film the people in their house of choice why still on set and a pretence of family and friends coming around.

They've already bought the house that they "choose". If you look at the requirements to be on the show, they state that.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, chessiegal said:

They've already bought the house that they "choose". If you look at the requirements to be on the show, they state that.

Oh for sure, just like on House Hunters.  I always assumed that.  It also explains why in some cases they pick a vastly inferior house for the money.  In the most recent episode the husband said "David, you're making this choice really hard for us", as if he liked the house David showed him more than the one he had already chosen.  I would personally hate it if that happened to me.  I'd never want to continue looking after I'd bought a house only to find one that was much better.

• Love 4

I stopped watching the show. David's tattoos are too distracting for me. If you read the requirements to be on the show, one option is for you to decide you want to fix up your current home. There was a show where the woman won a big payout, and the original ending was supposed to be she decided to use the money to fix up her boyfriend's home that was in his family. Then they put on additional footage that the relationship with the boyfriend went south, and she bought herself a condo at the beach. 😄

• Love 2

I really enjoy the ending to the Tennessee woman who won a Powerball with 19 co-workers.     She really enjoyed the homes David showed her, and her new found fiancee wanted her to build a huge mansion with all of the amenities, but on land that was his mother's that he purchased after she died.      However, at the end she had broken up with fiancee, and bought a Panama City condo, which was her dream.   She was so smart not to spend a lot of money building on land that she would never own.      

I loved the ending on that one.     I really liked her, and I'm glad she made the decision she did.    I'm glad they reshot the ending too, and updated it.    I think that was the first season, or maybe second, but a good episode either way. 

I really liked her, and I hope she's found her ultimate dream home by now.   

I really liked the Florida winners of many million, who looked at a huge condo, and two homes, and bought the lovely place with the casita, and pool that they showed last.   I was thinking that with their budget they could have bought all three places, or if they already owned one of the other two homes, then could have bought the lovely third one anyway.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I really enjoy the ending to the Tennessee woman who won a Powerball with 19 co-workers.     She really enjoyed the homes David showed her, and her new found fiancee wanted her to build a huge mansion with all of the amenities, but on land that was his mother's that he purchased after she died.      However, at the end she had broken up with fiancee, and bought a Panama City condo, which was her dream.   She was so smart not to spend a lot of money building on land that she would never own.      

I really liked her, and I hope she's found her ultimate dream home by now.   

That's a rerun. I remember her, and figured this was the 1 time they had to re-tape the ending, since the folks on the show have already bought their homes.

ETA: I thought when I saw it she was making a mistake to spend big bucks to renovate his home before he put a ring on it.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 1

Yes, building a home on land that would always be in the fiance's name would have been a big mistake.    Once she built a McMansion for him, on property he owns, than what recourse would she have if they split?    My guess is no recourse at all.    I'm just glad she thought about it, and reconsidered before she spent any money.     Smart woman, and I wish her every happiness. 

My guess is that his eventual plan would be to take down the homes he didn't like, and then have her build a million dollar home, or even more expensive.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

I just watched the episode where a family with 5 kids was house hunting for a 3 or 4 bedroom near their current apartment. They paid cash and moved in quickly versus waiting for the house that would've been finished in 7 months and cost a slight bit more (320,000 vs 350,000). I somewhat get why they picked it since it added one more bedroom than they already had and they were able to pay with cash and pay for the furnishings to be included. But the house they didn't choose was only slightly more expensive and for 5 kids would've given a lot more space since it was a 5 bedroom instead of 3 bedroom and the kitchen was lot more updated as well.

• Love 1

My guess is because they already owned the house, and the new build was a decoy.   Often when they want to buy the furnishings, it's because it's their furniture.    

The producers must have caught on to that being a give away to the home they own, because sometimes the buyers mention they like the furnishings, and it's not the one they buy.    The one Florida couple did that, and the furniture was older, and there were a lot of knick knacks, and other things that I'm sure the 'buyer' really didn't want, and it was a ploy.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

I would love to get the whole backstory on that engagement that ended and she was suddenly in Florida. No one has ever commented on the winner that looked, and sounded, exactly like a real life version of Cleetus the Slack Jawed Yokel. It's unbelievable and amazing at the same time.

Noticed that HGTV and GAC have both suddenly stopped showing the repeats. They used to run marathons, which makes me wonder if they've decided to low-key cancel it. I don't do social media, has David said anything online?

UKWatcher, years ago when it was first starting BBC America showed several season of Location, Location, Location and then it disappeared. Found out they continued to produce episodes but pretty much no one in the States, including streaming, will show British reality programming except GBBO. LLL was much more interesting than HHI.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Noticed that HGTV and GAC have both suddenly stopped showing the repeats. They used to run marathons, which makes me wonder if they've decided to low-key cancel it

HGTV and GAC have not stopped running marathons. Both channels will be airing repeats starting Nov 5 (GAC) and Nov 6 (HGTV). From what I can find, it has not been cancelled, but also not renewed. It appears it may be related to filming during the pandemic.

• Love 1

Huh. Food Network turned Candy Land into a competition. And for some reason David is hosting a behind the scenes special.

See how the breathtaking set of Candy Land came to life — whether it's more than 100 pounds of chocolate used for Chocolate Mountain or 1,000 lollipops needed to create Lollipop Woods — in a one-hour special premiering Sunday, Nov. 15 at 10|9c. Host David Bromstad (HGTV’s My Lottery Dream Home) treats viewers to an exclusive peek into the making of each land and the creative process of the minds that are undertaking this monumental challenge, along with learning the history of the iconic Hasbro game that continues to be a childhood favorite.

• Love 2

Next Friday, November 20, this comes back, and it's supposed to be a new episode.    However, the Friday after, the 27th, there's some Christmas special listed at the same time at Lottery runs.  

OK, on the 27th, there is a new and then a rerun episode, at 7 p.m. Central, instead of 8 p.m., so they can have some Holiday themed programming.  

I consider that most of the winners probably took the cash option, over the annuity, which pays more, but stretched over 20 years or so.      I'm guessing a lot of them have credit card bills, or other financial obligations they're paying off, and that doesn't leave a lot more.   So to me it's interesting to see the different places, and the different houses.    I really liked almost all of the winners, and their friends and family.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

I caught an episode yesterday, a nice couple with maybe 5 kids and a million $ win. They saw an huge older home and 2 new construction places. Hilarious! And ridiculous! One had a model open and a 7-month wait. The other was so clearly their home—it was “available“ furnished and accessorized (no offense, but that’s not how homes are staged), and the kids’ backyard fun stuff was already in place. The couple kept saying how everything was just what they wanted/liked. 

Many of the budgets are less than an episode of HH. This concept is played out.

• Love 2
On 11/15/2020 at 3:22 PM, buttersister said:

Many of the budgets are less than an episode of HH. This concept is played out.

After seeing what 100,000 can get you in Racine, WI, I'm dying to see what 200k could buy. Wonder how long they'd been holding on to this episode. Love David but not his wardrobe. The pink pajamas shouldn't be worn in public. But I loved the white top with the fun sleeves Jackie wore at the first house. She definitely picked the right one.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

After seeing what 100,000 can get you in Racine, WI, I'm dying to see what 200k could buy. Wonder how long they'd been holding on to this episode. Love David but not his wardrobe. The pink pajamas shouldn't be worn in public. But I loved the white top with the fun sleeves Jackie wore at the first house. She definitely picked the right one.

Yeah this episode did seem to have been made before the pandemic given the hugging and no masks whatsoever, but David's hair did look different so I am confused.  I wonder how the next "new" episode will look.  I was half expecting the new episodes to be more of David shooting from his condo. 

• Love 2

The new episodes are running at 7 p.m. Central on Fridays, because they're showing the special holiday themed new episodes of other things at the usual 8 p.m. slot.  

I really liked the lady in Racine.    I love the house she bought, but when I saw the furniture I figured that was her home.     She has great taste.   

I loved tonight's new episode (11/27), called The Lottery Queen.     The second I saw the third place, I figured that would be her choice, it was so much her taste.       I'm wondering if she bought it, and remodeled?  Because it was so much of what she said she would do.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

On the Racine episode, not only did David's outfit look like pajamas, but the raggedy looking coat looked like a ratty bathrobe.

I love the Blue Ridge, GA mountain get away on tonight's show.   How amazing to inherit $900k from a great Uncle.    For once they have a hefty budget too, $400,000 to $600,000, and up to $700,000 for the husband.   

The first house was great.   

The second house wasn't in the mountains, and was too fancy.      Third house, $745k, with the furniture included.   The third house is spectacular with three levels of decks, a great view, and it's gorgeous.      The outside fireplace is wonderful.   The entertaining space on the lowest level is amazing.  I'm so glad they bought the third house.  It's the perfect mountain get away.  

I love how at the end of the Schaumburg, IL episode the winner said when she wins $100 million, she's calling David again.   Now that would be a fun episode.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

On the Racine episode, not only did David's outfit look like pajamas, but the raggedy looking coat looked like a ratty bathrobe.

I love the Blue Ridge, GA mountain get away on tonight's show.   How amazing to inherit $900k from a great Uncle.    For once they have a hefty budget too, $400,000 to $600,000, and up to $700,000 for the husband.   

The first house was great.   

The second house wasn't in the mountains, and was too fancy.      Third house, $745k, with the furniture included.   The third house is spectacular with three levels of decks, a great view, and it's gorgeous.      The outside fireplace is wonderful.   The entertaining space on the lowest level is amazing.  I'm so glad they bought the third house.  It's the perfect mountain get away.  

Yeah, I liked this episode and that house they chose.  Finally people that have a big enough budget to buy a show-worthy house.  And it's not even a lottery win.  I wonder if a lot of lottery winners don't want to appear on the show over privacy concerns, especially if they won a lot of money.

• Love 4

I just discovered this show and it confuses me. From the little I’ve seen, a lot of these budgets are much smaller than I would expect. I see higher budgets on HH International. Yet, the show’s opening show huge mansions. 

• Love 1

The first season they had a couple who hit over $100 million, and they bought a mountain top estate, the ranch below, and some other land.    However, a son with severe health issues caused them to sell a year or two later.     There have been a few who bought spectacular places, but remember a lot of these people may have taken the cash payout, which is a lot less than the total jackpot if you take the annuity.    Plus, there are huge state and federal taxes.   We also don't know what the financial issues are that the winners have.   I bet some have paid off debts, or are supporting relatives, or have other debts they've paid off, or are funding their retirements.     I can't imagine going on this show, can you imagine how many people that you don't even remember come out of the past, and want a handout?    

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, DanaMB said:

I just discovered this show and it confuses me. From the little I’ve seen, a lot of these budgets are much smaller than I would expect. I see higher budgets on HH International. Yet, the show’s opening show huge mansions. 

Every once in a while we'll get a massive house purchase but for the most part, it is a bit disappointing.

I think the thing about HH and HHI budgets is that they're based on the annual earnings of the shoppers, usually.  When people win the lottery, it's a one time payment that a lot of the winners will want to spread out.  If they spend all their money on a big house, they might not have the annual income to maintain it/keep it.

That's how a lot of lottery winners go into debt.  So when we have an inheritance episode when they were buying a vacation home with most of the money, it makes me suspect that they were already rather well off. 

• Love 3