Type keyword(s) to search

My Lottery Dream Home - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Since that house was out of town, I'm guessing it has a septic tank.     With those, depending on where it's located in the yard, and where the septic tank, field and lines are, it can interfere with an in ground pool.     And even as far south as I live, you have to worry about freeze damage sometimes, so above ground is cheaper and easier to build, and maintain, and if the structure is sound, you just replace the liner every so many years.      I know they're not the nicest looking, but with the height of the pool, and the deck matching, you don't have to maintain the pool decking tile either.   Since the pool top edge is so high off of the ground, then you don't have to fence around it.    However, I would put  some kind of barrier to keep the pool safe from little kids, and keep people away from the edge when they don't want to go swimming.    Plus, some people I've know with in ground pools have to worry about fencing it, keeping animals out of it (it's a pain when your steer falls in), and it's just much more economical.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

Next week is a town not far from me and I actually know of the lottery winner! I am so excited to see what they show. I know which house he bought. I will be shocked if they tell the truth because I know for a fact he wins 4 million yet lives in a budget friendly house like the last one was (even cheaper). They featured the winner, yet not the TV episode (yet) in our local newspaper last year. I almost bet it will be featured in the paper this week before the show airs? Time will tell.

• Love 3

I loved Jesus, and Kankakee was so affordable, and the houses looked so nice.    I love it when the houses don't all look alike.  

The first house is small, but the kitchen is wonderful!     Who ever did the updating on that house did a good job, but one bathroom and one car garage is so small. 

I love the second house, and it's really cute.   I love the living room, and the kitchen is great.   Just needs quartz counter tops, but that's not a huge expense.

I really like the third house, with the solid brick, and I love the arched doorways, and the hardwood floors.  The three-season porch was so cute.  That nook on the master would make a wonderful walk-in closet.  I like David's idea of enlarging the two car garage to hold two more cars, and that would work with the second house too.  I wish the kitchen from the first house could be transplanted into the third house.   

The second house was a good choice, and I think he could extend the garage forward to fit more cars.     

• Love 2
9 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I loved Jesus, and Kankakee was so affordable, and the houses looked so nice.    I love it when the houses don't all look alike.  

The first house is small, but the kitchen is wonderful!     Who ever did the updating on that house did a good job, but one bathroom and one car garage is so small. 

I love the second house, and it's really cute.   I love the living room, and the kitchen is great.   Just needs quartz counter tops, but that's not a huge expense.

I really like the third house, with the solid brick, and I love the arched doorways, and the hardwood floors.  The three-season porch was so cute.  That nook on the master would make a wonderful walk-in closet.  I like David's idea of enlarging the two car garage to hold two more cars, and that would work with the second house too.  I wish the kitchen from the first house could be transplanted into the third house.   

The second house was a good choice, and I think he could extend the garage forward to fit more cars.     

I can see that living on the east coast, how much more house you get in other areas vs here. When he said  125,000 I thought "what?" but that home although small, was more than I'd get here.

I loved the first homes kitchen, mine is so awful and I'd love that one. The rest was okay . I grew up in a cape cod and loved the second. I didn't have a bay window but always wanted one or dormers for a reading nook. I thought he already lived there with the sectional in that home.  : )  Not much space outside but he didn't seem to care about that. Homes were very close together.

The third I love like you, the brick and style. We have homes near me like that for 200,000 up.   Jesus was easy to please and I liked him. Authentic.

I liked the third the best, but both were nice. I hope he's happy there

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3

Yes, he already bought the 2nd house (with his sectional) before the show even came here. The guy at the end with the "neighbor ladies" giving the toast is my neighbors son! How cool to be on TV? She said they edited a ton out for the final cut.

I just looked online and the 1st house is still for sale, price drop of 2 grand. That is really close to the one he actually bought too. I love that kitchen too! The 3rd house is actually the one with the most charm, yet it is not in a great neighborhood. It has already been sold. At least it is NOT on realtor.com at the moment. The reason he did not choose to buy in Chicago is most likely it is way too expensive for what you get plus taxes are out of control and it is not safe the closer you get to the city! He picked a great area and was smart not to blow too much of his winnings on a house I think. David is not dealing in reality, he is just trying to host a show that gives us sparkle and glitz!

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Calibabydolly said:

David is not dealing in reality,

And he and the show are quite clear about that. At the beginning of every show they have him visiting a local real estate agent for "suggestions". If you look at the production company's website they are very clear that they are looking for people who have either already purchased a home or are planning to renovate.

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

And he and the show are quite clear about that. At the beginning of every show they have him visiting a local real estate agent for "suggestions". If you look at the production company's website they are very clear that they are looking for people who have either already purchased a home or are planning to renovate.

When you think about it seriously, who would have a stranger pick 3 homes and they had to really pick one. ; )  I surely wouldn't. That's why I laugh at some of the HHI shows, they have them also beforehand and many of the others are nicer and sometimes I forget and shake my head like "Why did you pick THAT one" lol

But I suppose the realtor gets some publicity and the town. I wonder how nice David really is. Sometimes there is some chemistry and he seems to like the couple or person.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1

Just like with all of the other homebuying shows, they are trying to weed out people who are never going to buy a house.    In the first couple of seasons of house hunters there were a lot who were simply in it for the publicity, and I think that was when you had to be ready to close, and I'm sure they have to own the place now.      I just watch to see the houses, and know it's fantasy, but I love looking at the different locations on here.     

With last night's episode, the second I heard David say, "you can negotiate the sectional in if you want" I knew it was the one.      I think Jesus made a great decision, and moving to Chicago would be a huge mistake.   Can you imagine how much a comparable house to the one he bought, with the two car garage, and long driveway would cost near Chicago?     

• Love 1
8 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Just like with all of the other homebuying shows, they are trying to weed out people who are never going to buy a house.    In the first couple of seasons of house hunters there were a lot who were simply in it for the publicity, and I think that was when you had to be ready to close, and I'm sure they have to own the place now.      I just watch to see the houses, and know it's fantasy, but I love looking at the different locations on here.     

With last night's episode, the second I heard David say, "you can negotiate the sectional in if you want" I knew it was the one.      I think Jesus made a great decision, and moving to Chicago would be a huge mistake.   Can you imagine how much a comparable house to the one he bought, with the two car garage, and long driveway would cost near Chicago?     

I agree, like in CT, much more. He can save what he wants to save. What most people don't realize is if you don't finance well, the money can work for you then, you lose it and many do. I don't understand that type of spending but it's gone, a few years later. One small thing most don't consider if the hundreds of thousands it takes to maintain a mansion with large plot of land, pool, etc. To clean and do landscaping, electricity and utilities isn't just a little higher than normal, it's a large amount higher and it's weekly/monthly. One couple said that is why they sold a year later, their jobs weren't going to maintain it and a couple of million doesn't go far if you buy cash and have the maintenance eat it up.

I love the sensible ones, I still get a "tour" of areas I'll never see and that's one reason I'll watch HHI sometimes, to see Norway or Japan, even a little bit, when I never will.

• Love 3

The 3rd house (brick charmer) actually sold in about 2 weeks for 5 grand over asking! I checked the sold properties. I also noticed the 1st home, near his house he bought, was the same realtor as featured on the show. Her office is not in this town and actually a good drive away, so I have a feeling Jesus used her reality office to buy his home? He may have lived close to that town when he won or knows her somehow? I saw the gas station he bought the scratch off was near there as well. The things we can find out online, lol!

• Love 3

Unfortunately, a great way to hit the lotto for a few million, and end up broke a few years later is by buying the big house, fancy furniture, cars, RVs, other expensive toys.    Then you buy homes and expensive cars for people, give a lot of loans that will never be repaid, forget that the percentage of taxes for state, and federal isn't the entire amount you pay the first year, and then a few gambling trips, and you can be dead broke in record time.  

Many years ago, when a million was a lot more than it is now, there was a magazine article that looked at the fate of a bunch of lottery winners.     Within a few years half were stone broke, and since many quit their jobs, moved, and made other huge changes, had nothing left.    Several had gone deep into debt too.     I bet it's the same today, even with the huge jackpots some have won.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
On 3/27/2017 at 10:44 PM, AnnaRose said:

I watched all four repeats this evening. (Don't ask me why.)  The first one was the couple who "won 20 million dollars!"  As was mentioned above, that was the annuity amount, so if they took the cash amount, after the cash discount and taxes they would have netted closer to $6 million.  The house they bought was huge and very expensive... so I hope they will be able to afford the taxes, insurance, utilities etc.  And the Hamptons lifestyle.  I would not want a house that big, especially for three or four people.  They were funny though.  Especially the husband.  I was starting to worry about his preoccupation with having a lot of bathrooms when he explained that it was because he was always waiting on his wife and daughter to let him use it.  I hope the need to renovate the kitchen, to replace those beautiful wood cabinets with white ones, was producer driven... or at least that she really did change her mind about it.   I hate to see high quality wood cabinets and trim painted or demolished.

Next up was the $2 million second chance winning Ohio couple who had been living in the husband's tiny boyhood home.  Boy he had a ton of memorabilia!  I'd rather spend that money improving the house.  I don't know how they managed to live there that long.  Perhaps they were overcompensating buying such a huge one post lottery win.  I really liked the second and third houses they looked at.  Those homes both had so much character compared to the boring model they chose to have built.  I hope they manage to make their build more interesting than the model was.

Then there was the empty-nester-couple who won $1 million and were moving to the Nashville area.  The street the first house was on looking pretty cute, but I liked the house they chose the best.  Nashville traffic is a nightmare!  I hope hubby isn't too far from work.

Last but not least was the Indiana couch surfer who won $1 million in a second chance drawing.  I thought the house he bought was fugly, but he loved it and was so grateful... so good for him.  The first house was the nicest and the property was beautiful... but those white painted cabinets looked awful.  They either failed to prepare them correctly, or more likely were going for a shabby chic distressed look that just looked flat out shabby. And distressed... but not in a good way!

I just saw the Ohio couple in the repeat. He did have way too much memorabilia, but they did seem like nice people. I think they were limited because the mother in law was moving in and they  needed something that had a ground floor bedroom suite. I thought it was a nice home they are building. 

• Love 3

My guess is that the ones who get a house built for them probably get a great price from the builder because of the national publicity.     I can only imagine how much a commercial airing on this show would cost, and the builder gets free publicity, and get to show how wonderful they are to work with, and that's worth a lot.    

3 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

My guess is that the ones who get a house built for them probably get a great price from the builder because of the national publicity.     I can only imagine how much a commercial airing on this show would cost, and the builder gets free publicity, and get to show how wonderful they are to work with, and that's worth a lot.    

How many people watch HGTV? Maybe a million watch this show? Out of the over 357 million Americans would be swayed? I know many folks who never watch HGTV.

There are usually newspaper and news stories about the house hunt and the show airing.     Some of the builders are probably associated with national companies also.     I wouldn't be surprised if there were followup articles too, with the homeowners saying how easy it was to work with the builder's designer and raving about how much they love their new house.    

• Love 2
On 12/11/2018 at 9:23 PM, chessiegal said:

How many people watch HGTV? Maybe a million watch this show? Out of the over 357 million Americans would be swayed? I know many folks who never watch HGTV.

I don’t know the exact numbers, but there have been multiple People magazine covers with HGTV hosts on the covers. I know People doesn’t represent everyone, but many who follow pop culture are aware of these shows. And House Hunters was on SNL!

Several years ago I read somewhere that HGTV viewers were in the highest income bracket among tv viewers overall. Who measured that and how I no longer remember.  Some PR  company, I suppose.  Is that what Nielsen basically is?  Letting companies know who is watching what, so they know how to place their ads.  If you want people,who have money to spend on house stuff, to see your wares, you advertise on HGTV.  So when the homebuyers on these shows mention designers or products, the company is getting an advertising boost.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 2

I loved the guy from Milford, CT last night.     I knew he'd go with the third one, and that was a spectacular condo.    David did mention the HOA, so I knew that would be the one he picked.    The amenities looked great too.    I liked his cousin too, she was really funny.      

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I loved the guy from Milford, CT last night.     I knew he'd go with the third one, and that was a spectacular condo.    David did mention the HOA, so I knew that would be the one he picked.    The amenities looked great too.    I liked his cousin too, she was really funny.      

I have to watch that, I work 10 minutes from there. ; )\

UPDATE

That was so cool. Not only did I know most of the places, the second one was my coworkers condo. ; )   I knew when he said 1-2 bedrooms in the beginning, it was probably the last one. No one ever says one bedroom, so I figured he had that one already. The"view" was 8 out of 10 on list and beach was 10. His view wasn't good at all which is why he probably had it lower.

Nice guy it seemed, I hope he takes that trip and has fun.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3

Tonight's episode was the update on the mother, and two daughters who lived in Cape Cod, and bought the joint house.     The mother changed jobs (I think all three ran gas stations or something like that), reconnected with her high school boyfriend after 38 years, and they're really in love.   They're selling the house, the mom is moving where the boyfriend is, the one daughter is going on her own, and I'm not sure if the other daughter is moving with the mom or moving on too.   The renovation took six months, and looks nice.   The house is for sale for about $500k, and in that area, I bet they get it.     

I almost deleted tonight’s episode because I had seen it before but said it was new. I fast forwarded to the end & saw the update. They are a quite a bunch of colorful people with um interesting taste in their style. None of which I like or could imagine living with. That said, she was fortunate enough to get the money back from the house she bought with her winnings. That’s a win-win in my book. 

• Love 2
On 11/23/2018 at 8:37 PM, ByaNose said:

Personally, I’m more turned off by his tattoos. They’re taking over his whole body. He looks great from the neck up. He’s got great hair, beautiful smile, teeth & goatee. That said, the commercials are so OTT. Which I think is what they were going for. 

I came over to ask what the hell happened to the host?  In the promo's now (not just the pimp one) he looks like a crashing meth whore covered in graffiti.

Sure makes me wonder if he's another of many for whom wealth and fame opened too many unfortunate doors.  Not interested in watching anyone who seems like an addict, or someone who thinks that's a good look.  I cringe when his promo spots come on now.

Edited by pep4
  • Love 3

Two new episodes today, for New Year's.

First one is near Vero Beach FL, and the couple hit the NY state lotto for $7 million (before cash value, and many taxes, I figure about $2-3 mil after).   The first home has the question that's probably a give away "we love the furnishings, can we buy them".    The couple are a hoot.    I love upscale options for houses. 

I love the first house, but hate the furnishings.   I'm so glad the 'can we get it furnished' was a fake story line. 

The second has a great pool, backs up to a preserve, but the pool/spa has no enclosure.     I hope they like wildlife and bugs coming over to say hi, and swimming with alligators.   

The third house is $389,000+, with total open plan, and empty.   All solid surface floors, and a huge tub.       I love the pool, waterfall, and the wrought iron fence around it.    I hope they can do a screen enclosure, because it needs it.      

They bought the second house.   I really like it if they change the carpets to tile, and enclose the pool.  I like that they bought before their condo lease was up, so they can change everything to their taste, without living in a reno zone.

Second episode, Richmond, VA.   An attorney and single dad won $1 million.    His kid is so cute.  He wants to stay close to the kid's mom, and his work.   Budget is $300,000 to $400,000.

First house-Brick townhome, corner unit.    4 bed, 3 1/2 bath.  Great house, but no back yard (concrete, and where the car lives too).

Second house-Single family home, on half an acre.   2500+ sq feet, 3 bed 2 1/2 bath.  Great yard, walk out basement with a great family room.  I wonder if there's an interior staircase to the basement?  If not, that's a serious issue.  

Third house-A single family cape, 4 bed 2 bath 1600 sq ft.    No en suite, but the bath is very updated, and master plus kids room.      The man's already talking expanding the first floor.    Yard is nice.

He buys the third house.    I think that's a great place for the two of them. 

• Love 2

Just watched the single dad episode. Cute kid.  He said "him and his then girlfriend bought tickets"  I hope they each bought their own because if they pooled money, he should share.  : )

And his "Mostly single?" What is that? lol

David's initial outfit was distracting, print on print in red plaid and flowers but he was nice and seemed comfortable. I enjoyed the banter between them.  I agree, concrete in first condo was a deal breaker with a kid but it was lovely and had a great basement area to play in. If there was a nearby park, not so bad.

There was 2 doors in the basement of second house, I looked hard since like you, would think that wasn't just a problem but maybe a safety issue.

I liked the cape, grew up in one, but 365,000 seemed steep. I liked the room, small but usable, the yard was fine.  Everyone is different, but why pick a house that you want to knock down an outside wall and is higher priced to begin with? I liked it "as is" and I hope he enjoys it with his son. I feel especially with having to pay people to landscape, less is best.  Since he owned this home already (spare room is set up for a kid) he will probably leave it be for now. He seems busy and would want less stress.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3
On 12/27/2018 at 8:47 PM, pep4 said:

I came over to ask what the hell happened to the host?  In the promo's now (not just the pimp one) he looks like a crashing meth whore covered in graffiti.

Sure makes me wonder if he's another of many for whom wealth and fame opened too many unfortunate doors.  Not interested in watching anyone who seems like an addict, or someone who thinks that's a good look.  I cringe when his promo spots come on now.

That's just way too many tattoos for me. I don't get it.

17 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Two new episodes today, for New Year's.

First one is near Vero Beach FL, and the couple hit the NY state lotto for $7 million (before cash value, and many taxes, I figure about $2-3 mil after).   The first home has the question that's probably a give away "we love the furnishings, can we buy them".    The couple are a hoot.    I love upscale options for houses. 

I love the first house, but hate the furnishings.   I'm so glad the 'can we get it furnished' was a fake story line. 

The second has a great pool, backs up to a preserve, but the pool/spa has no enclosure.     I hope they like wildlife and bugs coming over to say hi, and swimming with alligators.   

The third house is $389,000+, with total open plan, and empty.   All solid surface floors, and a huge tub.       I love the pool, waterfall, and the wrought iron fence around it.    I hope they can do a screen enclosure, because it needs it.      

They bought the second house.   I really like it if they change the carpets to tile, and enclose the pool.  I like that they bought before their condo lease was up, so they can change everything to their taste, without living in a reno zone.

Second episode, Richmond, VA.   An attorney and single dad won $1 million.    His kid is so cute.  He wants to stay close to the kid's mom, and his work.   Budget is $300,000 to $400,000.

First house-Brick townhome, corner unit.    4 bed, 3 1/2 bath.  Great house, but no back yard (concrete, and where the car lives too).

Second house-Single family home, on half an acre.   2500+ sq feet, 3 bed 2 1/2 bath.  Great yard, walk out basement with a great family room.  I wonder if there's an interior staircase to the basement?  If not, that's a serious issue.  

Third house-A single family cape, 4 bed 2 bath 1600 sq ft.    No en suite, but the bath is very updated, and master plus kids room.      The man's already talking expanding the first floor.    Yard is nice.

He buys the third house.    I think that's a great place for the two of them. 

I think both families bought houses that worked well. I liked that the Florida couple worked it out, so they can do renovations before they move in. Yeah they had to change the floors in that one right? I'm sure they will get the pool enclosure done too. They were a bit much the Florida couple at times, but funny and nice how much in love they are. 

Richmond, VA-I think the single father lawyer picked the right house for his son and him. It seemed just the right size for them and they could always expand on the house either. The neighborhood and location seemed right for them too. The son was cute.

7 hours ago, debraran said:

Just watched the single dad episode. Cute kid.  He said "him and his then girlfriend bought tickets"  I hope they each bought their own because if they pooled money, he should share.  : )

And his "Mostly single?" What is that? lol

David's initial outfit was distracting, print on print in red plaid and flowers but he was nice and seemed comfortable. I enjoyed the banter between them.  I agree, concrete in first condo was a deal breaker with a kid but it was lovely and had a great basement area to play in. If there was a nearby park, not so bad.

There was 2 doors in the basement of second house, I looked hard since like you, would think that wasn't just a problem but maybe a safety issue.

I liked the cape, grew up in one, but 365,000 seemed steep. I liked the room, small but usable, the yard was fine.  Everyone is different, but why pick a house that you want to knock down an outside wall and is higher priced to begin with? I liked it "as is" and I hope he enjoys it with his son. I feel especially with having to pay people to landscape, less is best.  Since he owned this home already (spare room is set up for a kid) he will probably leave it be for now. He seems busy and would want less stress.

I don't get the mostly single thing either. Is he keeping his options open, LOL? 

Sometimes David's outfits are real misses. The mismatched red prints one in that episode was bad. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Booklady1017 said:

That's the one absolute reason I won't watch this. I cannot stand to look at him and all of those horrid tattoos.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

That's the one absolute reason I won't watch this. I cannot stand to look at him and all of those horrid tattoos.

I can look past it, but I don't get why he would want that many tattoos in the first place.

• Love 1

My guess is the mostly single remark means he doesn't bring new girlfriends around his kid, and I bet it's 50/50 custody.      I think one reason he bought the third place is the location, from work and the kid's mom.    I'm guessing that if there is an extension built on the house, it will be the back will be extended, and that will give room for an ensuite for him, and a bigger kitchen too.    

I think the second house didn't have an interior staircase to the basement.      I bet the second interior door was to the furnace/utility room, and an enclosed staircase would have to be built to make the basement usable.   Putting in a staircase would be expensive too.    

The Florida couple were so cute.   They really faked me out with the question about the furnishings being able to be purchased with the first house, because that was totally old fashioned stuff.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, debraran said:

I've seen a lot of articles on his tattoos and there is meaning (for him) for them all. Some of his past depression might be another reason. He hasn't had a drama free life.

MICKEY was a shock though, I never saw Mickey on his arm!

https://www.lifeandstylemag.com/posts/my-lottery-dream-home-host-153744/

Good Lawd! David's got tattoo fever and he's got it bad: multiple Mickey Mouse tattoos, tribal tattoos, just about everything but the kitchen sink. His skin is starting to look cluttered.

The popular host has plenty of ink all over his body. He has a chest tattoo that reads "Limited Edition," a tribal tattoo on his right shoulder, and a full-sleeve on his left arm, which features several different images of Mickey Mouse. "First round of Mickey Mouse tatts are down," he captioned a recent photo of his tattoo collection. "7 hours of pure pain has turned into a lifetime of smiles! A lot more work to be done but I’m so pleased with it!"

Debraran, I'm wondering if you had any more background on his not-drama-free life. The little I could find online seemed pretty rosy. I'm intrigued. At least it might explain why his choice of "tatts" come across like a cry for help. Lol

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Mannahatta said:

Good Lawd! David's got tattoo fever and he's got it bad: multiple Mickey Mouse tattoos, tribal tattoos, just about everything but the kitchen sink. His skin is starting to look cluttered.

Debraran, I'm wondering if you had any more background on his not-drama-free life. The little I could find online seemed pretty rosy. I'm intrigued. At least it might explain why his choice of "tatts" come across like a cry for help. Lol

There's been a lot of "bio" interviews and articles and there was one with his old long time partner in pics and he had much less tattoos over those 8-10 years. It seemed he spiraled a bit after the breakup, I don't know if drug rumors are true, they favored David in law suit, but he went all out with tattoos and in this interview he gave the reasons for some of them. He seems like he will run out of room soon. It just seems excessive since he never wanted that many before. If I find it I'll post it.

His chest tattoo explained because it didn't understand number at first:

David has been inked a number of times, but the tattoo on his chest has special significance. Explaining the body art, David said, "It doesn't only say "limited edition"— below that it says 1/1 so I won't be duplicated

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1

I might have to stop watching this show. David now grosses me out. It looks like he got his even more tatted. It was some weird orange color. It’s so bizarre. He used to be so good looking. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, debraran said:

David has been inked a number of times, but the tattoo on his chest has special significance. Explaining the body art, David said, "It doesn't only say "limited edition"— below that it says 1/1 so I won't be duplicated

I'm gonna have my kids start adding "1/1" to all their refrigerator art. 

5 hours ago, Booklady1017 said:

I can look past it, but I don't get why he would want that many tattoos in the first place.

Maybe he was afraid to speak up after the "Stay in your lane, Bro"....

Edited by pep4
  • LOL 1

I love the new episode tonight, in Lakeland, FL.    Roy and Rockie were so cute together.    How sad about his wife though.   I love the house he picked, and like that he wanted a home for his whole family to gather, and feel at home.     I think it was a great idea to get the new build, and have exactly what you want.     

And in the five month update, it looked like the close neighbor houses were mostly finished, so the construction noise should be over soon.  The one next door is finished, except for the roof, so that will be done before Roy moves in, so that should make things a lot quiet, because the inside work is so much quieter. 

Except for the guy who is putting in the drywall, that screeches with every screw they put in (I am in a new subdivision, and retired, so I heard every freaking screw going into the house next door)

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
On 1/4/2019 at 9:50 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I love the new episode tonight, in Lakeland, FL.    Roy and Rockie were so cute together.    How sad about his wife though.   I love the house he picked, and like that he wanted a home for his whole family to gather, and feel at home.     I think it was a great idea to get the new build, and have exactly what you want.     

And in the five month update, it looked like the close neighbor houses were mostly finished, so the construction noise should be over soon.  The one next door is finished, except for the roof, so that will be done before Roy moves in, so that should make things a lot quiet, because the inside work is so much quieter. 

Except for the guy who is putting in the drywall, that screeches with every screw they put in (I am in a new subdivision, and retired, so I heard every freaking screw going into the house next door)

Roy seemed like a nice guy, the son, like most his age, seemed like "Why am I here on TV?"  ; )  

I think he'll love his home and when family is important, it's nice to have room for them if you can.

David said in an article they don't like to discuss taxes but he calculates that in his head when "looking". He said viewers don't want to hear about taxes, that but I don't feel it's true, I think to say they won "a million" sounds better than 675,000. lol

Vero Beach couple thanked David so much at the end, lost count how much,  it sounded weird since most know that it's fake. I liked the couple, I didn't just get the enthusiasm. Maybe he helped them with more later.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, debraran said:

Roy seemed like a nice guy, the son, like most his age, seemed like "Why am I here on TV?"  ; )  

I think he'll love his home and when family is important, it's nice to have room for them if you can.

David said in an article they don't like to discuss taxes but he calculates that in his head when "looking". He said viewers don't want to hear about taxes, that but I don't feel it's true, I think to say they won "a million" sounds better than 675,000. lol

Vero Beach couple thanked David so much at the end, lost count how much,  it sounded weird since most know that it's fake. I liked the couple, I didn't just get the enthusiasm. Maybe he helped them with more later.

Especially, since he’s not the actual realtor. He’s just the talking head. 

• Love 1
On 1/6/2019 at 7:40 AM, debraran said:

I liked Roy. He was very nice and seemed appreciative. I felt bad that he lost his wife and she never got to experience their dream of a new home.

• Love 4

The 2 women who won 5 million and want a vacation home were nice but a budget of 200,000, why go on the show?  I guess they wanted to save it or use it for other things. Not much of a backstory. I really didn't like the 3 homes David showed compared to what is available there. Maybe it was the price.

I know someone who moved to the area they were looking at and it is beautiful and serene if you don't mind the winter cold and snow.  The drinking from the lake, I was with David, yuck! : p

The second home with windowless bedroom, that would make me claustrophobic and it's not safe. Can you imagine a fire and being trapped in a room like that? 

The third home was not my taste but  for a fixer-upper family with low budget, it was cheap.

My friend got one like this, for about 250.000 but his was more cabin like in some rooms. 

https://lakechamplainrealestate.com/listing/4688987/75-fiske-road-alburgh-vt-05440/

I wouldn't have picked the one they did or any of them, but that is their home and their money, I'm only observing. ; )

I like this look myself and nice price  https://www.lakehouse.com/page-547653.html

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, debraran said:

The 2 women who won 5 million and want a vacation home were nice but a budget of 200,000, why go on the show?  I guess they wanted to save it or use it for other things. Not much of a backstory. I really didn't like the 3 homes David showed compared to what is available there. Maybe it was the price.

I know someone who moved to the area they were looking at and it is beautiful and serene if you don't mind the winter cold and snow.  The drinking from the lake, I was with David, yuck! : p

The second home with windowless bedroom, that would make me claustrophobic and it's not safe. Can you imagine a fire and being trapped in a room like that? 

The third home was not my taste but  for a fixer-upper family with low budget, it was cheap.

My friend got one like this, for about 250.000 but his was more cabin like in some rooms. 

https://lakechamplainrealestate.com/listing/4688987/75-fiske-road-alburgh-vt-05440/

I wouldn't have picked the one they did or any of them, but that is their home and their money, I'm only observing. ; )

I like this look myself and nice price  https://www.lakehouse.com/page-547653.html

All three were so meh. No driveways, long staircases up and pokey layouts. 

• Love 3

Wow!   Won $5 mil before all of the taxes, and had a $200k budget.  Houses were underwhelming, but when I saw the third one was a total fixer, and next to the river, I knew that would be it.   

The second house with the windowless bedroom was non-conforming because of the no window issue, so it wasn't legal to count it as a bedroom.    The egress window issue in case of fire is exactly why they have that rule.     I bet the taxes on any of those were hideous too, and my guess is they're on septic, so that's why only one had laundry.     I'm wondering if any of the houses were four season either?   Or under insulated, and just for late spring to early fall use?      With about 20-30k that place could be fixed up, but I really didn't like any of them.    

I'm wondering if the budget was so low, because the winner wanted to pay cash, pay off their current house, or had student loans or debts to pay off, and funded their retirement too.    That could certainly eat up the budget.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

I agree, there could have been other issues and bills but the show seemed flat with very little information. Why go on the show?  From a quick google and knowing someone in the area, that budget could have gotten nicer homes, less "fixer-upper" on the lake, but I feel they had the home to begin with and being a winner, either were contacted by the show or decided it would be fun. Very underwhelming, especially for David, who had a hard time being excited about the awful layouts and carpets and overall look.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 4
On 1/12/2019 at 8:23 AM, debraran said:

This episode was a real disappointment. When I first saw how much she won, I'm thinking this will be a fun episode with how much she can potentially spend. I don't know if she was cheap or what. I didn't get a good sense about her because we didn't hear much of her backstory. I thought with the money she had, she could get a nicer, newer cabin with more bedrooms and bathrooms. I was also confused about why she had two country cabins. Is that why she went with a smaller place? It seemed like her girlfriends go to stay, so are they supposed to be split between the two places? It makes sense to have one bigger nicer place on the lake for everyone. 

22 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Wow!   Won $5 mil before all of the taxes, and had a $200k budget.  Houses were underwhelming, but when I saw the third one was a total fixer, and next to the river, I knew that would be it.   

The second house with the windowless bedroom was non-conforming because of the no window issue, so it wasn't legal to count it as a bedroom.    The egress window issue in case of fire is exactly why they have that rule.     I bet the taxes on any of those were hideous too, and my guess is they're on septic, so that's why only one had laundry.     I'm wondering if any of the houses were four season either?   Or under insulated, and just for late spring to early fall use?      With about 20-30k that place could be fixed up, but I really didn't like any of them.    

I'm wondering if the budget was so low, because the winner wanted to pay cash, pay off their current house, or had student loans or debts to pay off, and funded their retirement too.    That could certainly eat up the budget.  

I wish she explained more why she decided on that budget. It just came off as her being cheap, when it might not have been that at all.

On 1/12/2019 at 8:23 AM, debraran said:

I like your friends style. That's why out of the three, I liked one best, although none of those are really my style.

• Love 1

I liked the Pamlico Sound house hunt.   It was so nice to see the different communities, and the two women were hysterical.   I loved the house she picked, and I'm sure that elevator was a requirement too.     The first house was less than inspiring, and I'm glad she didn't choose that one.     I really liked the third house too, but the second house was already done, except for changing the huge tub to a shower, and I loved the screened porches too.  

• Love 2
8 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I liked the Pamlico Sound house hunt.   It was so nice to see the different communities, and the two women were hysterical.   I loved the house she picked, and I'm sure that elevator was a requirement too.     The first house was less than inspiring, and I'm glad she didn't choose that one.     I really liked the third house too, but the second house was already done, except for changing the huge tub to a shower, and I loved the screened porches too.  

I enjoyed the Pamlico house hunt too. I wasn’t familiar with that area and wanted to see it. I was confused why the husband didn’t come or wasn’t shown much at the end. I liked the house she picked best too. While number 3 was very nice, after seeing that master suite and bathroom in 2, I wouldn’t be able to settle for the smaller bathroom and room. The two ladies were enjoyable to watch.

• Love 2

I liked this one also and for the first time, it seemed David took more than the 3 homes he usually takes from realtor, although amount was the same in showing. He also will ask if they want to see more now but that is of course not part of the setup of the show.  I assume they are usually bought first so the couple might not be together in showing them, I know my husband wouldn't want to be on TV.

The second home was nice and you don't get elevators often in homes.  I liked the fireplace and deck. No shower! I would be the same way, not a bath person. ; )

I liked the third home and color. I wonder how much insurance is so close to the water for these type of homes. I can bet it would be high.

I think they would be happy in either and am glad they love it.

I have a feeling her husband is disabled or has trouble walking since David made a quick remark that elevator would be good for her husband when in the second home. I thought that was her neighbor at end?

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3

At the end there were two neighbors, and her best friend who was on the house hunt was with her.    I think the husband was in a wheelchair, since he was sitting in the picture in the beginning, and the woman and her son (?) had their hands on what looked like handles.    It could be he was having treatments, or only wanted to move once, so he wasn't at the house yet.   I don't think the third house bathroom was big enough for accessibility.     I imagine the change from the huge tub to the shower needed to be done for the husband to live there full time.  

I think the insurance on the first house would be expensive, because it was at ground level.      The second and third were on stilts, which greatly reduced the insurance costs.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2