Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, BrownBear2012 said:

YES! I said that to my family the other day...Willie is a far better host than Joe. He's witty when he needs to be, he doesn't grandstand or get on soapbox and lecture the audience and he doesn't go off on a baseball rant or "guy" talk...when Joe and Jonathan Lemire hijack the show with their fanboy convos on the Red Sox Willie will step in make one or two comments and then move it along to a news item. It's apparent that Joe has lost interest in doing this show. He should retire and let Willie have the lead... and when Mika leaves, he can have a new cohost. This show is old and needs a big overhaul...enough of the same "contributors" day in and day out...Mike Barnicle? Gone. Ed Luce? Gone. Eugene Robinson? Gone. Rev. Al? Gone. David Ignatius? Gone. Move in some younger talent with a new look and new viewpoints. Oh...and Jonathan Lemire? GONE! Too bad they lost Kasie Hunt because she would have been a great co host of a new look Morning Joe.

Mika & Joe may refuse to accept any changes to the format without additional compensation.

Joe has complained that he would have additional taxes if Biden's tax plan on people earning more than $400K per year is implemented. Joe will demand that the network give him more money so he can pay the extra taxes.

Joe also noted that he had to pay his gardener above minimum wage to take care of Mika's flowers in Maine.

The network could offer Mika & Joe an hour per day on the Today show as an incentive to vacate the Morning Joe show. Mika could interview Hoda & Savannah for her women over 50 KYV segments. Joe could become the Tom Brokaw of NBC & offer his opinions with gravitas on many issues including sports & music.

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, oakville said:

Mika & Joe may refuse to accept any changes to the format without additional compensation.

Joe has complained that he would have additional taxes if Biden's tax plan on people earning more than $400K per year is implemented. Joe will demand that the network give him more money so he can pay the extra taxes.

Joe also noted that he had to pay his gardener above minimum wage to take care of Mika's flowers in Maine.

The network could offer Mika & Joe an hour per day on the Today show as an incentive to vacate the Morning Joe show. Mika could interview Hoda & Savannah for her women over 50 KYV segments. Joe could become the Tom Brokaw of NBC & offer his opinions with gravitas on many issues including sports & music.

Sounds like Joe has rich white guy problems…waa waa waa 😭

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, BrownBear2012 said:

Sounds like Joe has rich white guy problems…waa waa waa 😭

I think Joe take time off the show because he is so busy trying to provide advice to the Red Sox on how to win the division.

He also consults with several major religious leaders  , including evangelicals on how to encourage them to get the vaccine as well as providing his interpretations of the Bible, Torah & Koran.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Tuned in at the 8:00 hour.  Meeka is in the South of France; I think Joe said for a well-deserved something or other.  For better or worse, she has been carrying the show lately.

The interview with Andrew Sullivan was so very good.  Joe did insert himself once or twice in ways that only he can; but it was still a great listen.  Actually, Sullivan did most of the talking; he is passionate about his subject and it shows. This is not always the case with authors that come on.

• Love 1

Wednesday mini recap.

The show started with Willie & Kerry Sanders reporting on masking in schools in Florida.

Florida will allow parents to decide whether their kids should wear masks in schools.

Kerry interviewed people in naples. Some parents believe that their faith will protect their kids from getting the virus. Others wear masks because their faith tells them to respect other.

Palm Beach county, home of Mika who spends some time there & Joe will ask kids to wear masks.

Joe is wearing an N 95 Fleece top which protects against the virus. Joe's hair is messy today.

Joe has a friend in the ICU who is dying.

Joe has friends who are wearing masks in North Florida & support Trump. They are school administrators.

Joe said Jesus would support wearing masks.

• LOL 2

Willie used the NBC evening news report on the resignation of Gov Cuomo.

Willie had Tom Winter & Susan Del Percio as guests seated around a small table.

Willie said Cuomo hoped that the independent inquiry would show that he was a victim from the women. He was wrong.

Susan gave Cuomo an F-, which is bad.

Joe commented on the Washington Post story. Andrew was a tough guy in his teens & was close to his dad. Andrew wasn't as popular a his dad.

Joe read the TelePrompter without errors. This is a slap in the face to Mika who could blame the euipment for her reading struggles .

Heilmann admitted that Cuomo made mistakes during the pandemic.

Susan said Andrew was afraid of being impeached.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, oakville said:

Dr Carly Simon is a school superintendent in Florida. She said that Governor De Santis was so vain that he thought that the virus was about him.

Oakville...you win the year for this post.  😁

• Love 9

I have to wonder what's going on with Joe & Mika.  For the past several weeks, it appears that they haven't been together on the show at the same time.  Joe took that week and a half off with no explanation, then Mika took off, then Joe came back and Mika went to Poland for that thing with her brother being made ambassador, then she came back and Joe took off and then Joe came back today and Mika is off in the south of France.  Normally, I would think NBC just doesn't want both of them off together, but that's happened before with just Willie holding down the fort.  Am I just being crazy or do you think there's anything to this?  Also, Joe looked like a mess this morning.  Not only was he wearing his fleece jacket and had his hair messed up, but he looked like he was wearing his pajama top underneath the fleece.  Basically, the rolled-out-of-bed look.

• Love 7

She was on this afternoon with Nicole Wallace; her name is spelled Carlee!   Dr. Carlee Simon.  She is great tv...smart, articulate, calm, attractive (sorry, but she is).  If Meeka comes back (maybe she will start on Peacock; maybe she and Joe are having problems, maybe she needed the vacation...etc.)-  I sense that Dr. Carlee will be a KNV novitiate. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Kemper said:
  5 hours ago, oakville said:

Dr Carly Simon is a school superintendent in Florida. She said that Governor De Santis was so vain that he thought that the virus was about him.

OMG! Funny Oakville. Tell me, did Joe embarrass her with playing the actual song? Did he give her the Kasie DC treatment? I bet he wanted to but he looked too hungover to do much of anything based on the minute of the show I saw. Shocking the Queen of KYV/Chief Warrior for all things female was absent. I'd have expected her to weigh in on Cuomo's resignation and take a victory lap for her cause. But, then, that would take a lot of thinking and script writing; so, no. Or, was the governor a FOS?

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I sense that Dr. Carlee will be a KNV novitiate. 

Just saw this, Kemper. Mika would be all over her! Isn't that her daughter's name? Mika would definately take her under her wing and somehow share the spotlight...for picking smart girls' names or some bs. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Linda956 said:

I have to wonder what's going on with Joe & Mika.  For the past several weeks, it appears that they haven't been together on the show at the same time.  Joe took that week and a half off with no explanation, then Mika took off, then Joe came back and Mika went to Poland for that thing with her brother being made ambassador, then she came back and Joe took off and then Joe came back today and Mika is off in the south of France.

I wonder if they are afraid Willie is going to take their spot if he gets an extended run as a solo host.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
58 minutes ago, plumbago blues said:

OMG! Funny Oakville. Tell me, did Joe embarrass her with playing the actual song? Did he give her the Kasie DC treatment? I bet he wanted to but he looked too hungover to do much of anything based on the minute of the show I saw. Shocking the Queen of KYV/Chief Warrior for all things female was absent. I'd have expected her to weigh in on Cuomo's resignation and take a victory lap for her cause. But, then, that would take a lot of thinking and script writing; so, no. Or, was the governor a FOS?

Sadly, Joe did not play the song. It would be rude to make fun of her name.

Joe looked very disheveled today.

He has complained on recent shows of having to pay his household staff above minimum wage, so perhaps they didn't show up to work today.

Mika must be excited that the new Governor of NY will be a woman over 50. She will eligible to be part of KYV.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I wonder if they are afraid Willie is going to take their spot if he gets an extended run as a solo host.

MSNBC was unwilling to give a raise to Kasie Hunt. She left the network for $1-1.5M at CNN.

Would the network be willing to play hardball with Joe & Mika who earn $15m a year for a show with ratings far below January 2021 ?

It would be cheaper to make Willie the full time host & find a female co anchor.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
34 minutes ago, oakville said:

MSNBC was unwilling to give a raise to Kasie Hunt. She left the network for $1-1.5M at CNN.

Would the network be willing to play hardball with Joe & Mika who earn $15m a year for a show with ratings far below January 2021 ?

It would be cheaper to make Willie the full time host & find a female co anchor.

Yes!  I keep thinking about Joe's comment last week when he was showing Meeka's mother chatting with whoever was Pope at the time.  Joe said something like maybe her mother was telling the pope that Meeka needed to be nice to her second husband.  Really strange.  "Second Husband" ...

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Yes!  I keep thinking about Joe's comment last week when he was showing Meeka's mother chatting with whoever was Pope at the time.  Joe said something like maybe her mother was telling the pope that Meeka needed to be nice to her second husband.  Really strange.  "Second Husband" ...

I remember that comment. The photo was taken when Mika met the Pope John Paul II ,first Pope from Poland .  IIRC, Dr Z strongly recommended that the Catholic Church pick him as Pope, since he would be very useful at fighting communism in Poland.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
On 8/11/2021 at 2:10 PM, Linda956 said:

I have to wonder what's going on with Joe & Mika.  For the past several weeks, it appears that they haven't been together on the show at the same time.  Joe took that week and a half off with no explanation, then Mika took off, then Joe came back and Mika went to Poland for that thing with her brother being made ambassador, then she came back and Joe took off and then Joe came back today and Mika is off in the south of France.  Normally, I would think NBC just doesn't want both of them off together, but that's happened before with just Willie holding down the fort.  Am I just being crazy or do you think there's anything to this?  Also, Joe looked like a mess this morning.  Not only was he wearing his fleece jacket and had his hair messed up, but he looked like he was wearing his pajama top underneath the fleece.  Basically, the rolled-out-of-bed look.

I was just saying this to my husband the other day! Is there trouble in paradise?? It's weird. And I have to call hypocrite on Mika...she's been reduced to tears when delivering the news and talking about COVID and now she's jetting all over the globe during the spike of the Delta varient??? The South of France? Really??? Today Joe started the show with...drumroll please...talking about the Red Sox! Then he brought his ginger drinking buddy, Jonathan Lemire, into the convo where they did their usual whiny little bitch fest about how the Yankees have so much money and they're buying a pennant rant. OMG...it was so bad and yet so predictable. No wonder their ratings are in the toilet. And yeah...Joe looks like he just woke up from a bender the night before.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, oakville said:

Exactly...Willie and a bonafide female news anchor would be better any day of the week then these two. This show is in free fall right now and with Rachel Maddow contemplating leaving MSNBC there are some serious programming decisions to make. They will have to make some bold moves to boost them out of hole that is getting deeper every day.

• Love 5

If the network could not pony up some money to keep Kasie Hunt, you have to wonder if they are reviewing all contracts and the $$$ involved.  Are The Twins worth it?  It looks like whoever has the 6-9 slot will still beat out CNN.  

I had not heard anything about Rachel M possibly leaving. Wow.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Kemper said:

If the network could not pony up some money to keep Kasie Hunt, you have to wonder if they are reviewing all contracts and the $$$ involved.  Are The Twins worth it?  It looks like whoever has the 6-9 slot will still beat out CNN.  

I wonder how much money played a role in Kasie's decision. From what I have read, she will be able to define her role and be the centerpiece of a new media property, CNN+. 

MSNBC couldn't offer her that.

How long has it been since Joe and Mika hosted together for a week?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, BrownBear2012 said:

Exactly...Willie and a bonafide female news anchor would be better any day of the week then these two. This show is in free fall right now and with Rachel Maddow contemplating leaving MSNBC there are some serious programming decisions to make. They will have to make some bold moves to boost them out of hole that is getting deeper every day.

I think Willie's Sunday Today show where he had Hallie Jackson, Megan Radford, Dylan Dreyer as co hosts would be a good idea for a new morning cable show.

There was some discussion of politics, but they covered many other topics & did interviews with celebrities.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I wonder how much money played a role in Kasie's decision. From what I have read, she will be able to define her role and be the centerpiece of a new media property, CNN+. 

MSNBC couldn't offer her that.

How long has it been since Joe and Mika hosted together for a week?

Kasie had a brutal work schedule considering she has a young child at home.

I am still surprised that MSNBC let her go.

I would have loved to see her & Willie co host a new Morning Willie & Kasie show.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, xaxat said:

I wish the title Morning Willie would clear the censors bc he really is the best part of the show.

I think Joe believes his comments about Mika - SOF, not understanding Field of Dreams - are what passes for affection in his book.

Joe is trying to keep up the Facebook! Drink! tradition in Mika's absence, though. I just wish they'd watch their local news or focus on certain local churches, who are respectively stating that a case of covid gives you immunity and vaccinations are the mark of the devil.

• Love 6
On 8/11/2021 at 8:51 PM, Kemper said:

Right? That was really weird when Joe made that offhand comment about Mika being nice to her second husband...is it me or does Joe seem like he's been hitting the bottle lately?

• Love 5

Joe has been sloppier looking lately. I have to wonder if he is sick? If so, I will feel terrible about snarking on him. But he looks like the male equivalent of Rode Hard Put Away Wet. 🤓

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Me from ME said:

I've always wondered if that was the reason he has been absent on a Monday morning following a large sports event.

Joe was very mad at the Boston Red Sox for losing to the Blue Jays last Sunday, so that would explain his disheveled appearance.

I also believe that living with Mika after her crying spells on the show last week would be difficult.

Joe usually calls Publix to order sheet cake for Mika when she is upset about something, but the supermarket may not have had any cake in stock.

• LOL 3

Friday mini recap.

Joe changed out of fleece into his infamous navy blue sweater. Joe's housekeeper agreed to return & wash & dry his clothes after tough contract negotiations with Joe.

The first topic was the Field of Dreams game in Iowa last night.

Joe wanted to go to the game with his boys, but priority was given to Iowa residents.

Joe complained about the Red Sox not being invited to the game , but in reality, the movie featured the White Sox.

Joe was happy that a player from one of his many home states , Tuskaloosa Alabama hit the game winning HR. Joe aid the White Sox will probably play in the playoffs.

Lemire watched the game & admitted that the white Sox don't get a much attention as the Red Sox.

Joe is upset that the Taliban is capturing so many cities in Afghanistan.

Biden is ending 3000 troop to rescue Americans in Kabul.

Biden's press secretary said they are not abandoning Afghanistan.

• Love 3

Joe said Americans support leaving Afghanistan.

Stavridis said the USA is trying to avoid a Saigon Vietnam collapse.

Joe supports keeping a few thousand  troops in Syria & Afghanistan.

Joe said the troops want to be there.

Stavridis said it is cheaper to keep a few thousand troops there rather than 150K to reinvade Afghanistan.

Gayle is a new guest to the show. She is worried about the Taliban attacking women & girls.

• Love 3

Women will no longer be allowed to work or go school under the Taliban.

They will become Taliban brides.

Joe said the USA is abandoning Afghanistan despite what Biden administration says.

Joe said the foreign policy establishment is opposed to leaving Afghanistan. 

Biden wanted to get out of Afghanistan in 2009.

Biden is not empathetic towards the country according to Peter Baker.

• Love 3

I do understand the difficulties presented with the troop pullout.  But I do wonder sometimes at how many of these pontificators (Joe included) have served in the military or have loved ones/family members in the military. It is easy to be an armchair analyst.  However, I must admit that the show this week has been a bit of a train wreck - lots to snark on.  Who knew that would be possible without Meeka.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

I do understand the difficulties presented with the troop pullout.  But I do wonder sometimes at how many of these pontificators (Joe included) have served in the military or have loved ones/family members in the military. It is easy to be an armchair analyst.  However, I must admit that the show this week has been a bit of a train wreck - lots to snark on.  Who knew that would be possible without Meeka.

Joe cannot control himself...he needs a babysitter. The troop pullout was inevitable. The fact that we spent millions of dollars on helping to rebuild the country, arm and train an army that had the best weaponry and technology so that they could defend the country from the Taliban and others and they folded so quickly is shocking. We have been there for over 20 years...are we to stay there indefinitely? Our mission going into Afghanistan was to find Bin Laden and rid the country of the terrorists that conspired to attack the United States on 9/11. That mission has been accomplished. We never went there with the mission of nation building. 

22 hours ago, Kemper said:

I had not heard anything about Rachel M possibly leaving. Wow.

Yeah...it was big news yesterday...she's in talks with MSNBC but is contemplating doing something else other than a nightly show. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

Joe did make a big deal out of his interview with the National Guard when he was in college.

The Guard asked Joe to serve one weekend per month but Joe told them that he couldn't do that because he wanted to watch the Dukes of Hazzard on Friday nights & Solid Gold on Saturday nights. The Guard thanked Joe for coming in for an interview. 

Barnicle used to complain that virtually no one in Washington had their kids serve in the military.

President Biden' son did serve overseas , so he has a different perspective on the issues.

• Love 4

When Joe references Mika being in the South of France I am 95% certain that she is no farther away than her living room. I know most of you are aware of that. However, in a case of life imitating art, if she  recently went to Poland to celebrate her brother's appointment as ambassador...this time she might really be in the SOF. 😁

Edited by Me from ME
Clarification
  • Love 3

She posted pictures on her Instagram of the 2 of them boating...probably Maine. I thought they were back in FL and very well may be and she was throwing viewers off course. All of that is of little importance. The big news is her caption: "After a week of heavy news it's finally Friday." Puleeze. Just how heavy was your week? Two days(hours) of hysteria followed by a string of days off? That whole SOF is just code for her sleeping in, IMO. I don't think her brother has been confirmed yet. Something's up with Joe. HIS week may have been heavy: A week of heavy drinking. I felt a bit queasy seeing him looking so hungover. Far from their Town and Country glam photos.

• Love 6

No Joe this morning. "He's travelling". Meeks is almost hysterical this morning while cry-reading. At one point before she asked one of the guests his opinion she stated what he was planning to say. Not what she thought he might be saying, but what his opinion was.

Remind me, did she ever study journalism?

• Love 7

And here we go. Ridiculous cheap shot at Obama’s birthday party come up with Meeks and company bemoaning the “optics” as Mika stammers and stumbles her way through yet another vitriolic Maureen Dowd essay filled with snark, spite, and false equivalencies.  This is so dumb. Is everyone vaccinated? Yes? Were they tested before attending the party? Yes? Then maybe how about we use this as an example of how to enjoy life safely during COVID? Save your ire for those who are prolonging this pandemic. 

• Love 11
15 minutes ago, Me from ME said:

No Joe this morning. "He's travelling". Meeks is almost hysterical this morning while cry-reading. At one point before she asked one of the guests his opinion she stated what he was planning to say. Not what she thought he might be saying, but what his opinion was.

Remind me, did she ever study journalism?

She is unwatchable this morning.  It's all Biden's fault, don't you agree with me?  Where's the hook?

• Love 4

I tuned in for the 8:00 hour just to see if the show was this bad.  It is.  Everyone upthread is right ... she is terrible.  Of all the on-air people the network could present to be The Face of an historic news day, Meeka is perhaps the least qualified.  And where is Joe?  Traveling?  What is going on?  When was the last time they appeared together?  Maybe Joe really is ill; maybe he has a family issue (with his kids...parents).  Because that would be about the only reason for him to be absent.  

And you know what?  Having the same talking heads, analysts, pundits on just about everyday is lazy.  I respect most of them but I am exhausted by them.  Richard Engel is the exception - I will always watch him.

• Love 7

And now...wait a minute...we're going to veer away from the news of the day to focus on KYV. Fifty women over fifty FFS. Just after talking about the danger the girls are in now in Afghanistan, their diminishing chances for education and freedom.

Who produces this show? Why would anyone think that would be an appropriate segue.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Me from ME said:

And now...wait a minute...we're going to veer away from the news of the day to focus on KYV. Fifty women over fifty FFS. Just after talking about the danger the girls are in now in Afghanistan, their diminishing chances for education and freedom.

Who produces this show? Why would anyone think that would be an appropriate segue.

I believe this is why the term clusterf*<k became popular.  And right after that segment, she was back to editorializing.  Shameful.

• Love 6

I had to LOL when I saw Mika sitting there with 2 sets of  sleeves rolled up...hint, gurl: it's summer, maybe just not wear the sweater over a long sleeved shirt...like she's ready to get down and dirty with today's news. What a mess she is. No Joe to bail her out? I don't get the travelling thing...they were together last week in ME, maybe even yesterday according to her Instagram,  and he sure as shit knew what today's show would be focused on. Since most of their show is a charade anyway, why couldn't they just pre-record some rehearsed back and forth if he "had" to be away? Then Mika could build on that...or get some FOS to play along? Frankly, today's show should have been pre-empted for an all day BriWi Breaking News event. Mika had no business being there. I didn't hear the Obama party rehash but that could be why she made a big deal of running a roadrace outside following "Covid guidelines". Ever so virtuous.

She looked washed out...did she cry-read her make-up off?

• Love 3