Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Linda956 said:

I'm taking off to either go watch a baseball game up in Boston or Mika going to God knows where." 

I wonder if they're packing up and leaving Mika's family home in Maine; certainly a valid excuse to miss the aftermath of the biggest day of this administration. (Eye roll.) I agree that these events are livening up Joe, which is probably pissing off Mika, which warms my heart.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

Another arrogant move by Joe and Mika. Can't be bothered to show up for work today of all days? "Showing up" is a loose term for turning the camera on, as there's no travel nor prep involved. I wish we had a hate or disgust emoticon here. Using surprised or useful doesn't begin to express my outrage.

I read in the WSJ that Barnicle's wife is retiring from BAC. We can only hope that he will, too, and put us out of one misery of this show.

Barnicle showed up today. He was on the panel with Andrea Mitchell.

It's surprising that Mika & Joe weren't on today given the devastating news from Afghanistan yesterday.

I think Joe is mad at the network for giving Rachel Maddow a $30 million annual contract while he & Mika only get $15 million per year combined. It's a slap in the face to  Joe's gravitas which some of his relatives have compared to Walter Cronkite & Mika's reputation as the Barbara Walters of network television. Barbara was known for making her guests cry, but Mika cries herself while reading the TelePrompter.

• LOL 6
On 8/26/2021 at 2:08 PM, KayVeeTeeVee said:

Kudos to Chris Jansen, who was filling in for Stephanie Ruhle!  After yet another discussion about baseball just before the 9 a.m. hour, Joe threw to her.  She said, "And that concludes the sports portion of our coverage."  Okay, that's not an exact quote, but it was AWESOME!

I love Chris Jansing

Everytime she comes on, she says "good morning, I *am* Chris Jansing" in this authoritative voice, not just in the usual way of introducing herself, but she makes it sound like she's done extensive genealogical research, verified it with five corroborating sources and eventually arrived at the conclusion, that YES, yes, it is now safe to confirm, that she *is* indeed.... Chris Jansing.

It's just her name but basically all of that is in her tone of voice and it's so badass and hilarious and professional. 

On 8/27/2021 at 9:34 PM, Kemper said:

I think we may see a different MJ from now on.  The situation in Afghanistan plus plunging poll numbers for Biden have given Joe his mojo (get it!) back. The guest list is already changing a bit (be careful what we wish for). If he does change the show’s slant it will be interesting how the ratings go, especially on this network. And how committed they are to the Favorite Son. 

idk. I'm where a lot of you guys are, in that by all means, do remote shows, change locations etc, but still put some heart and effort into it!!

Joe and Mika used to travel all the time and we would get weirdo creative on-location shows sitting on deck chairs, talking to locals, visiting weird places like being warm and treating different parts of the country and different people with curiosity and humor and open-mindedness, not doing a remote isolated thing in a basement thingy...it's honestly a waste of their social talents and people skills....if they don't wanna go to NYC or DC why can't we have that at least, from wherever they are...I'm sure they're surrounded by tons of interesting people without even realizing it....

• Love 2
2 hours ago, neona said:

Joe and Mika used to travel all the time and we would get weirdo creative on-location shows sitting on deck chairs, talking to locals, visiting weird places like being warm and treating different parts of the country and different people with curiosity and humor and open-mindedness, not doing a remote isolated thing in a basement thingy...it's honestly a waste of their social talents and people skills....if they don't wanna go to NYC or DC why can't we have that at least, from wherever they are...I'm sure they're surrounded by tons of interesting people without even realizing it....

You are right...they are surrounded by a lot of interesting people; but they are so self-absorbed that they either don't realize it or do not care.  Joe can make good points (sometimes) and has a good sense of humor (sometimes).  But Meeka has no social skills.  She apparently was raised in a bubble with no girlfriends or humor; she cannot relate to her on-air partners or guests.  Maybe a different career path would have served her better.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

But Meeka has no social skills.  She apparently was raised in a bubble with no girlfriends or humor; she cannot relate to her on-air partners or guests.  Maybe a different career path would have served her better.  

So much truth right there. At least when she was Bond vixen Mika it was kind of interesting to watch her flirt with all the men, inappropriate as it was. Now, as (desperately trying to be) serious Mika, she has zero interpersonal skills and all of her interactions seem forced and unnatural. She's lost that kind of daffy shallowness. She's trying too hard to act like she knows stuff; her audience can see right through that. Is it age? Menopause? Those huge paychecks for doing nothing? Arrogance? She certainly isn't trying to improve herself and, apparently, no one at the top cares. So grateful I have plenty of other "real" news and commentary shows every morning.

• Love 6

Well Willie is in charge. Thankfully he has a work ethic. It’s a double edged sword. I get annoyed that they are soooo lazy that after all that has happened there is no interest in doing your job. But it is nice to be able to watch the show without being yelled at or watching someone cry reading the teleprompter haltingly. 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, captain1 said:

And again absolutely no mention of Joe and Mika’s whereabouts or when they might be back.

Maybe (pretty please) the announcement will come next week - new hosts for the show.  Ones that care enough to do homework, can read a teleprompter, don't shout at viewers or guests and, you know, SHOW UP in the studio!  You wanna live in Florida?  Enjoy, but I am no longer interested in seeing you in boxes.  The show could still be called Morning Joe - just change the opening to a bunch of different coffee cups, mugs, coffee pots, beans, etc.

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

The show could still be called Morning Joe - just change the opening to a bunch of different coffee cups, mugs, coffee pots, beans, etc.

Wouldn't that be great? (And don't go back to the Starbuck's sponsorship, please.) It's amazing to me that two broadcasters or journalists or what ever they perceive themselves to be are only interested in themselves and their little group of sycophants. There has been so much actual news this last week or two and they don't even bother to show up? (Which, of course, is a blessing to viewers who actually want to be informed of current events.) I can't with the Covid crying and Trump blaming anymore. That's their script and apparently they're sticking to it. Pull the plug, MSNBC.

• Love 3

KayVeeTeeVee...brilliant!  Just show coffee cups; maybe have different, independently owned coffee shops from all over the country take turns showing their mugs.  But Joe would probably sue for using his "Joe" name.  Maybe they could name the new show "Mugs" ... "Morning Mugs" ...😁

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, Kemper said:

KayVeeTeeVee...brilliant!  Just show coffee cups; maybe have different, independently owned coffee shops from all over the country take turns showing their mugs.  But Joe would probably sue for using his "Joe" name.  Maybe they could name the new show "Mugs" ... "Morning Mugs" ...😁

Pretty sure Morning Joe was a phrase way before this blowhard co-opted it, but I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.  Take turns showing coffee shops?  For free? You know the Ad Department would be all over that!

1 minute ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

Pretty sure Morning Joe was a phrase way before this blowhard co-opted it, but I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.  Take turns showing coffee shops?  For free? You know the Ad Department would be all over that!

This former award-winning journalist HAD to know the origin.  Here's what I found: 

The Origin Of a ‘Cup of Joe’

Each morning, millions of people choose to drink a hot cup of coffee. Why, though, is this drink referred to as ‘a cup of joe’? Indeed, how did coffee get this nickname?

The origin of this phrase is uncertain. However, there are a few theories. One of them is as follows: Josephus Daniels, who was Secretary of the Navy, banned U.S. Navy ships from serving alcoholic beverages in the year 1914. This ban led to sailors consuming more coffee (among other drinks).

Since Josephus Daniels was responsible for the ban and thus perhaps being partly blamed for the growing intake of coffee, they (the sailors) nicknamed the drink after him, thus it became ‘a cup of joe,’ Joe being short for Josephus. This theory, however, is considered to be unlikely.

A more plausible sounding theory is mentioned at Snopes, where it’s explained that the word ‘joe’ can simply mean ‘an ordinary man.’ For example, perhaps you’ve heard the term ‘an average joe.’ This term is used to describe someone who is thought of as being an everyday, ordinary kind of person. Thus, nicknaming coffee as ‘a cup of joe’ would indicate that it’s a drink for the common man, or the average person.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

This former award-winning journalist HAD to know the origin.  Here's what I found: 

I sense there's an interesting back story here and I thank you for the research! 

I wouldn't be surprised if that bumbling, stumbling, simple country lawyer Joe has a TM for Morning Joe..."as used in broadcast situations" or some such.

1 hour ago, Kemper said:

Maybe they could name the new show "Mugs" ... "Morning Mugs" ...😁

Reminds me: anyone here remember J. Fred Muggs?! Now HE was a Morning Mug(g)!

• LOL 3
7 hours ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

Each morning, millions of people choose to drink a hot cup of coffee. Why, though, is this drink referred to as ‘a cup of joe’? Indeed, how did coffee get this nickname?

The origin of this phrase is uncertain. However, there are a few theories. One of them is as follows: Josephus Daniels, who was Secretary of the Navy, banned U.S. Navy ships from serving alcoholic beverages in the year 1914. This ban led to sailors consuming more coffee (among other drinks).

Since Josephus Daniels was responsible for the ban and thus perhaps being partly blamed for the growing intake of coffee, they (the sailors) nicknamed the drink after him, thus it became ‘a cup of joe,’ Joe being short for Josephus. This theory, however, is considered to be unlikely.

A more plausible sounding theory is mentioned at Snopes, where it’s explained that the word ‘joe’ can simply mean ‘an ordinary man.’ For example, perhaps you’ve heard the term ‘an average joe.’ This term is used to describe someone who is thought of as being an everyday, ordinary kind of person. Thus, nicknaming coffee as ‘a cup of joe’ would indicate that it’s a drink for the common man, or the average person.

well tbh those are both very boring and disappointing explanations!!

in that case I like "cup of java" better since it pays homage to an actual Indonesian island where they grow actual coffee beans!

my google search landed me on this article https://www.huffpost.com/entry/famous-coffee-drinkers_n_5358495 actually really interesting.

Astoundingly no mention of Joe S among teh famous people... hmmm 😂

the Youtube algorithm, which is creepily following me around, then took me to the Coffee Cantata by Bach sung by my goddess Sumi Jo, reposted here because we all need this gorgeousness in our lives, that is all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDafQr3SkAo

ETA:

omg I fell way, way down the Youtube Rabbit Hole, but this shit is awesome

Basically, Bach wrote an entire miniature opera in 1735 all about his addiction to coffee

Here's the lyrics to Sumi Jo's cantata above in German with English translations and it's basically brilliant https://www.bach-cantatas.com/Texts/BWV211-Eng3P.htm

ETA 2: from Wikipedia "The cantata's libretto features lines like "If I couldn't, three times a day, be allowed to drink my little cup of coffee, in my anguish I will turn into a shriveled-up roast goat"

tbh I know the EXACT FEELING OF turning into a "shriveled-up roast goat" without coffee

ETA 3: Omg also Sumi Jo's Nulla in mundo pax sincera https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvYTsedw7H0 the best part is the last 60 sixty seconds starting at 5 min 22 in

Also, Sumi Jo's Que Sera Sera https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEfd6AQ_FeU

Aaaand Ave Maria by Caccini, skip ahead to 2 min 50 for the most beautiful part https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk7-hH-SBhM

ok ok I'll stop now but but but Sumi Jo is so awesome and needs to be more famous than she is, and there can never be enough beauty in this miserable world, that is all!

Edited by neona
  • Love 3

Apologies for dipping a toe down a rabbit hole while at the same time trying to stay on topic.  And it involves Ivermectin (the drug used to deworm animals) and that magical elixir which I now consider to be a health drink - coffee and how they are related.

Miraculously, I still have a friend who has exactly opposite political views from me and therefore gets her news about Covid-19 from friends who scour social media for alternate treatments and are also anti -vaccine.

Last week she forwarded an article from a small newspaper that claimed a conspiracy to not administer Ivermectin due to the pharma-industrial complex. The article was pushing a book (not a paper in a peer reviewed publication mind you) by someone with M.D. as part of his name but a name so weird that I had to look into his credentials.

Well, the name he is using is a pseudonym for a real physician who has no background in virology, infectious diseases, or statistics. He has 12 judgements against him and has had his hospital privileges revoked at one time, has been sued for malpractice amongst other charges so it is little surprise that he is trying to sell books to the uninformed.

As for the connection to coffee? He wrote another book about the miracle of coffee, that it not only extends life but makes one look younger. Even though it is probably junk science I like it! I know it is probably not based in fact but I will happily drink my cup of Joe.

Full disclosure: there had been some experimental evidence that large amounts of Ivermectin killed the Covid virus INVITRO not invivo. The dosage of Ivermectin to kill nematodes in humans is approximately 1000 times less than what would be needed to treat Covid. The safety for that large dosage in humans has not been established and, that is why people who are buying it from farm stores are poisoning themselves.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Waking up With Willie is watchable. You don’t sit clutching your chair being screamed at and listening to another person having a breakdown in front of you. We don’t need her anxiety in the morning. I have enough of my own. Willie is calm asks questions  with out a diatribe and then he lets the person answer uninterrupted. How refreshing. 

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, jacourt said:

Waking up With Willie is watchable. You don’t sit clutching your chair being screamed at and listening to another person having a breakdown in front of you. We don’t need her anxiety in the morning. I have enough of my own. Willie is calm asks questions  with out a diatribe and then he lets the person answer uninterrupted. How refreshing. 

I wonder if MSNBC would change the title of the show to `Waking up with Willie" when Mika & Joe leave the show.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
51 minutes ago, jacourt said:

Have they physically left already???? Mentally they’ve been gone for a long time. 

Not even a "Joe and Mika have the morning off" for days!  Then I thought perhaps Mika's mom maybe had passed, but if that were the case, wouldn't Willie say, "Joe and Mika are dealing with a family matter."  Something is definitely amiss.  And I love it.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, jacourt said:

And it's more impactful when he makes a considered statement when wrapping up an interview. Not to mention when he brings up friends of his he addresses them as individuals, not props of opposition.  Things like Cawthorn's statements are reprehensible enough. Mika's hand-wringing would not help.

Granted, I'm a bit sensitive when thinking how the withdrawal would be portrayed if the other guy was still around but can we get an update on Ghani and the millions he allegedly left with?

Edited by chick binewski
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, chick binewski said:

And it's more impactful when he makes a considered statement when wrapping up an interview.

"Morning Willie" is growing on me. I like the hard interviews, and especially the way he finishes.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, SG429 said:

"Morning Willie" is growing on me. I like the hard interviews, and especially the way he finishes.

Um, no.  How about Wake Up With Willie!  Honestly, I still think keeping the same name, but just featuring coffee cups and mugs as the logo works best.

• Love 2

Geist and Guests is brilliant!  But still feature the coffee mugs from coffee places all around the country.  Find a new sponsor- something without coffee; too much a reminder of Joe.  But Willie would need a co-host because a 3-hour show is a lot.  Someone who can discuss just a bit of music/pop culture and a wee bit of sports.  And some new, fresh analysts...of any age.

I wonder if the network has realized we have solved the morning 6-9 timeslot issue.  And sorry, but I have to get an adolescent giggle at the references to Morning Willie, Wake Up With Willie, etc.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

The Red Sox are playing in Tampa through Wednesday. So that might explain some things.

With the upcoming holiday weekend, what are the odds Joe and Mika don't show up until next Tuesday?

• LOL 3

Wow!!!! I had to come here and post.  There is a story on Mediaite about Joe and Meeka's absences!  Could they be reading this board?  We are influencers!  I haven't read the story yet...a Grand had the nerve to FaceTime me.  Will do now; I wonder if it is a fawning piece on the two of them and the headline is misleading.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, xaxat said:

The Red Sox are playing in Tampa through Wednesday. So that might explain some things.

With the upcoming holiday weekend, what are the odds Joe and Mika don't show up until next Tuesday?

Ha! Wish I had thought of that!  Joe is probably camped out in Red Sox clubhouse handing out towels to the players as they get out of the shower.

• LOL 3
4 hours ago, SG429 said:

"Morning Willie" is growing on me. 

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID

(someone had to do it!!! heh) Dude this is not a viable title for 90% of the English speaking world, just saying 

I actually think Willie did a really great job, he is smart and funny and coherent but why tf was he in the hellscape and not in studio?? Dude isn't the point of having *three* actual hosts that at least one of them might actually show up? I can't complain too much bc he was actually awesome but come oooooooon.

Again if there's no longer any difference between the tee-vee and podcasts I'm just gonna listen to podcasts instead. I don't think they realize the extent to which they are all visually erasing themselves and their craft, for most of these still-pandemic shows images aren't even necessary anymore

Elise Jordan made this show for me, she's awesome, even in her remote library, which looks like it's filled with books she's actually read

2 hours ago, Kemper said:

Wow!!!! I had to come here and post.  There is a story on Mediaite about Joe and Meeka's absences!  Could they be reading this board?  We are influencers!  I haven't read the story yet...a Grand had the nerve to FaceTime me.  Will do now; I wonder if it is a fawning piece on the two of them and the headline is misleading.

yeah I also had the impression the people on Mediaite don't actually watch the show, they just read second-hand info from Twitter, forums, Instagram etc. It's alwasy some ill-informed summary and sometimes their shit is so out of context it's embarrassing, yikes

sorry for excessive over-excited stream-of-consciousness music clips above, yikes 😳. Going on the big roadtrip tomorrow, pray for me to not drive of cliffs etc

Guys, is it bad to be weirdly attracted to Adam Kinzinger. He's a Republican, I know, but but but, *hellooo*... i mean....

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, neona said:

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID

(someone had to do it!!! heh) Dude this is not a viable title for 90% of the English speaking world, just saying 

I actually think Willie did a really great job, he is smart and funny and coherent but why tf was he in the hellscape and not in studio?? Dude isn't the point of having *three* actual hosts that at least one of them might actually show up? I can't complain too much bc he was actually awesome but come oooooooon.

Again if there's no longer any difference between the tee-vee and podcasts I'm just gonna listen to podcasts instead. I don't think they realize the extent to which they are all visually erasing themselves and their craft, for most of these still-pandemic shows images aren't even necessary anymore

Elise Jordan made this show for me, she's awesome, even in her remote library, which looks like it's filled with books she's actually read

yeah I also had the impression the people on Mediaite don't actually watch the show, they just read second-hand info from Twitter, forums, Instagram etc. It's alwasy some ill-informed summary and sometimes their shit is so out of context it's embarrassing, yikes

sorry for excessive over-excited stream-of-consciousness music clips above, yikes 😳. Going on the big roadtrip tomorrow, pray for me to not drive of cliffs etc

Guys, is it bad to be weirdly attracted to Adam Kinzinger. He's a Republican, I know, but but but, *hellooo*... i mean....

Elise Jordan is not a warm person...she seems very wooden and has a monotone voice. She was terrible as the host for Way Too Early. And I disagreed with her statement that if every American isn't evacuated it would be a huge stain on Joe Biden's Presidency...this is typical of the press...let's talk reality....these Americans that did not heed the advisement of the State Department months ago to get their paperwork in order and prepare to be evacuated after the May 30th deadline passed are the ones who were negligent. These people are for the most part dual American/Afghan citizens. They chose not to leave for whatever reasons...they had ample time to be ready to leave but didn't. The U.S. is currently using diplomatic avenues to get them out if they so chose too. The press today is saying we didn't evacuate enough people while also saying we evacuated too many people...which is it guys??? Over 120,000 people were evacuated from Afghanistan. The largest civilian evacuation in U.S. history...if these dual citizens chose not to get out that's on them but if diplomacy helps the ones that want to leave then will Elsie Jordan and others in the media give Biden credit for that or continue to blame him for a bad deal that Trump "negotiated"?

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, BrownBear2012 said:

These people are for the most part dual American/Afghan citizens. They chose not to leave for whatever reasons...they had ample time to be ready to leave but didn't. 

this is both profoundly inaccurate and a misrepresentation of the motives and circumstances of desperate human beings to whom a huge debt of gratitude is owed.

And the fact that dual citizenship should be raised as an issue here, given what these people have sacrificed and what is at stake is, well, pretty depressing imo. 

100% agree with you about Trump. There is more than enough blame to go around here, sadly

ooof. wasn't 2021 the year where we were all gonna be alive and happy again? *twiddles thumbs* 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, oakville said:

Mika is cry tweeting Elise Jordan whose entire family was infected with Covid.

Hee! Cry tweeting. Good one, Oakville.

It's interesting that this has been the only tweet from Mika during these last momentous days. (And an actual tweet...most of her lazy ass postings are just re-tweets.) She is so juvenile in her statements and so unprofessional in the manner in which she does it. A journalist she's not.

That Mediaite article had some pretty choice comments...it was like our daily complaints here! It really made me hate Joe and Mika even more than I already did...it just shows what money hungry grifters they are. 

Willie does a great job. He truly IS the only adult in the room. But isn't he on other shows, too? I think the format has to change... I don't know which personality at MSNBC would be strong enough to host a 3 hour show. How long are other shows there? 3 hours just seems excessive. Especially first thing in the morning when the day before's stories were covered the night before. I can only take an hour of a newsy/commentary show. Dragging it out for so long just becomes boring. Where's Heidi? She was a regular and then poof, she's gone. I don't find too many really likeable guests on regular rotation: Agree with Elise being cold and reserved. Same with Susan Del Percio...I had forgotten her name and  to google guess it and saw that her tweet to Elise was appropriate. Mika writes like a teenager.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Me from ME said:

But what's with Mika cry tweeting to Elise to get vaccinated WHEN SHE SAID THAT SHE AND HER HUSBAND HAD BEEN VACCINATED and that the course of their illness was less severe as a result.

I found Mika's tweet puzzling . Her cry for Elise to get vaccinated was bizarre

Elise's baby is too young to be vaccinated. Elise & her husband are vaccinated.

• Love 3

I don't think the comment was directed at Elise. I think Mika probably left out a "People" before the "get vaccinated". But it's still weird because then she would be using someone who had done things right as a cautionary tale. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:

Elise Jordan is not a warm person...she seems very wooden and has a monotone voice. She was terrible as the host for Way Too Early. And I disagreed with her statement that if every American isn't evacuated it would be a huge stain on Joe Biden's Presidency...this is typical of the press...let's talk reality....these Americans that did not heed the advisement of the State Department months ago to get their paperwork in order and prepare to be evacuated after the May 30th deadline passed are the ones who were negligent. These people are for the most part dual American/Afghan citizens. They chose not to leave for whatever reasons...they had ample time to be ready to leave but didn't. The U.S. is currently using diplomatic avenues to get them out if they so chose too. The press today is saying we didn't evacuate enough people while also saying we evacuated too many people...which is it guys??? Over 120,000 people were evacuated from Afghanistan. The largest civilian evacuation in U.S. history...if these dual citizens chose not to get out that's on them but if diplomacy helps the ones that want to leave then will Elsie Jordan and others in the media give Biden credit for that or continue to blame him for a bad deal that Trump "negotiated"?

I do see what you mean about Elise’s voice, but interestingly my sister has Aspergers and she is just like Elise Jordan with her flat tone/affect in speaking.  My sis is hilarious and kind but she totally has the wooden thing/goes off-tone in conversation and a couple other things Elise does wrt speech.  …Not to internet-diagnose, I have no idea if EJ has the same thing, I just thought it was really interesting. And obvs, her voice doesn’t bother me.  Hmm I do sense emotion in EJ’s voice, she gets louder and enunciates her words even more noticeably (I think).  

Also BrownBear, I was interested in reading your take on EJ’s assessment of the “stain” on Biden’s presidency. I too think the stain will come out, so to speak. Best reply to criticism of Biden I read so far has got to be “Yeah, so surprise! War sucks!”  

It would be…odd to have Mika and Elise read the news together, taking turns.  I read here the description of “cry-reading” and thought it must be exaggerated. No, Mika actually now…cry-reads. I think it sounds kind of fake, though…I dunno. I just don’t get Mika.

I’ve actually been watching Morning Joe since the days the posters would look forward to Mika and Joe being off on holidays so it would be Willie and Savannah Guthrie or Norah O’Donnell!  Even ten years ago people were like “how bad is your show when the fans like the substitutes better?”  Those were the days of Fleecy D, Douchborough, Cackles (I almost forgot she was called that! Took years but I love her now.)  I can’t remember the others! Harold Ford was “Pointy” I think. Meeka is still being used for Mika, it’s perfect.  The pretend hungover episode on the White House lawn. Wearing pjs at Xmas, Mika bringing her cat to work. The theory that Mika’s scarf was a leash so she wouldn’t wander off from Joe (it was innocent! sounds a little dodgy to write that haha). Not much has changed except Minka and Joe are always off and even when they’re on they just disappear. Mika is so checked out she can’t even fake it sometimes, it’s like she doesn’t care. And I’ll leave that typo in since Minka is my cat’s name and I keep writing Minka instead of Mika. (Yes, I named my beloved cat after a typo I read of Mika Brzezinski’s name!)

I somehow took a few years off from the show/forum when I had a baby, he was due May 9 and I remember being irrationally worried he would be born on Mika’s birthday, since that would be annoying. He wasn’t, thankfully!  He’s five now, and mixes up Justin Trudeau with Joe and Kamala’s roles regularly. One of his stuffed animal plays “Nico Wawace!” reading the news, and he ran around the condo last year saying “Russia Russia Russia!” probably a little too much. 

I’m so glad to see my fellow Canadian Oakville still posting-you just crack me up!  I was so shocked to learn Mika and Joe were together. Absolutely, honestly shocked. I figured there had been some truth to the vodka and ambien jokes and I didn’t even blame Mika! I’d need to be snowed to sit there with Joe every morning too. But…then she married him?  And Joe is still…Joe, bloviating, etc. but he seems more mellow, like laughing at Chris Jansing’s jokes and generally in better humor.  More silly. He’s gotten more tolerable to me and her, less!

I thought the first KYV book was Mika figuring herself out and accepting herself, and I liked it.  I will never understand, however, why she had to be the main star on CBS. Like that, or be a loser at 39.  This just seems so absurd. When Mika was doing one of her KYV stunts awhile back Elise Jordan randomly mentioned she was 39 and I wondered if Mika thinks she is a washed-up loser.  I don’t get it.  Anyway I’ve beyond tired of the franchise now, there are too many books and it’s just gross, and I’m a nurse so it’s completely irrelevant to me anyway. Might buy that upcoming housekeeping/decluttering book I read about though. Will it be Know Your Space’s Value? Hmm.

Anyway, if you got through all that, thanks!  MJ is still a train wreck and this forum is still the best thing about it, oddly. I’ve been lurking again for awhile now, so I thought I’d pop out and say hi.

Neona, you’ve made Katty Kay grow on me, finally! I don’t know how you did it but thank you :)

• Love 7

I agree that Mika's tweet was directed at the unvaxxed...she just steamrolled right over Elise's story to preach her tired sermon...like the "death cult" Mika is always talking about is reading these pundits' tweets. Highly doubtful, Meeks. Way to show genuine compassion for your friend (minion?). No social skills at all.

Welcome back, jenkait! Please, please, please tell me I misunderstood: Mika is doing a book on housekeeping??? That can't possibly be true! She does brag about her maid from the Dominican Republic, though, so maybe she co-opted her into writing it. I never imagined Mika would have any skills in that area; other than periodically decluttering her purse when Joe and his guests talk sports.

Edited by plumbago blues
  • LOL 2

Finally read the Mediaite article.  I know The Twins are good friends with Dan Abrams; they always get pictures and mentions.  My theory is that Joe helped write the article - or at least came up with the idea.  I thought the “days off” and “absences” were kind of tongue-in-cheek. Since Rachel’s contract got a mention, I suspect the article is The Twins opening salvo in any upcoming contract negotiations.

• Love 1

The Mediaite article was interesting. We know that Rachel and the Twins are not friendly, so it seems likely that she hired Ari Emmanuel when she saw what a good contract he had negotiated for them. Apparently it worked for her too. I think that Joe and Mika’s contract is up this year, so it will be interesting to see what happens with that.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, xaxat said:

I don't think the comment was directed at Elise. I think Mika probably left out a "People" before the "get vaccinated". But it's still weird because then she would be using someone who had done things right as a cautionary tale. 

Agreed. Sadly, there are "breakthrough cases" of Covid with people that are fully vaccinated.

Mika may not be aware of the high number of Covid cases in countries such as the UK & Israel which have higher vaccination rates than the USA.

Joe should be calling the local Publix grocery store ASAP & ask for emergency sheet cakes to calm Mika down.

I remember when the pandemic started in March 2020. Mika was outraged that Florida hospitals were allowing Covid patients to be treated on the same floors when she had to take her mom for some tests.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, jenkait said:

I do see what you mean about Elise’s voice, but interestingly my sister has Aspergers and she is just like Elise Jordan with her flat tone/affect in speaking.  My sis is hilarious and kind but she totally has the wooden thing/goes off-tone in conversation and a couple other things Elise does wrt speech.  …Not to internet-diagnose, I have no idea if EJ has the same thing, I just thought it was really interesting. And obvs, her voice doesn’t bother me.  Hmm I do sense emotion in EJ’s voice, she gets louder and enunciates her words even more noticeably (I think).  

Also BrownBear, I was interested in reading your take on EJ’s assessment of the “stain” on Biden’s presidency. I too think the stain will come out, so to speak. Best reply to criticism of Biden I read so far has got to be “Yeah, so surprise! War sucks!”  

It would be…odd to have Mika and Elise read the news together, taking turns.  I read here the description of “cry-reading” and thought it must be exaggerated. No, Mika actually now…cry-reads. I think it sounds kind of fake, though…I dunno. I just don’t get Mika.

I’ve actually been watching Morning Joe since the days the posters would look forward to Mika and Joe being off on holidays so it would be Willie and Savannah Guthrie or Norah O’Donnell!  Even ten years ago people were like “how bad is your show when the fans like the substitutes better?”  Those were the days of Fleecy D, Douchborough, Cackles (I almost forgot she was called that! Took years but I love her now.)  I can’t remember the others! Harold Ford was “Pointy” I think. Meeka is still being used for Mika, it’s perfect.  The pretend hungover episode on the White House lawn. Wearing pjs at Xmas, Mika bringing her cat to work. The theory that Mika’s scarf was a leash so she wouldn’t wander off from Joe (it was innocent! sounds a little dodgy to write that haha). Not much has changed except Minka and Joe are always off and even when they’re on they just disappear. Mika is so checked out she can’t even fake it sometimes, it’s like she doesn’t care. And I’ll leave that typo in since Minka is my cat’s name and I keep writing Minka instead of Mika. (Yes, I named my beloved cat after a typo I read of Mika Brzezinski’s name!)

I somehow took a few years off from the show/forum when I had a baby, he was due May 9 and I remember being irrationally worried he would be born on Mika’s birthday, since that would be annoying. He wasn’t, thankfully!  He’s five now, and mixes up Justin Trudeau with Joe and Kamala’s roles regularly. One of his stuffed animal plays “Nico Wawace!” reading the news, and he ran around the condo last year saying “Russia Russia Russia!” probably a little too much. 

I’m so glad to see my fellow Canadian Oakville still posting-you just crack me up!  I was so shocked to learn Mika and Joe were together. Absolutely, honestly shocked. I figured there had been some truth to the vodka and ambien jokes and I didn’t even blame Mika! I’d need to be snowed to sit there with Joe every morning too. But…then she married him?  And Joe is still…Joe, bloviating, etc. but he seems more mellow, like laughing at Chris Jansing’s jokes and generally in better humor.  More silly. He’s gotten more tolerable to me and her, less!

I thought the first KYV book was Mika figuring herself out and accepting herself, and I liked it.  I will never understand, however, why she had to be the main star on CBS. Like that, or be a loser at 39.  This just seems so absurd. When Mika was doing one of her KYV stunts awhile back Elise Jordan randomly mentioned she was 39 and I wondered if Mika thinks she is a washed-up loser.  I don’t get it.  Anyway I’ve beyond tired of the franchise now, there are too many books and it’s just gross, and I’m a nurse so it’s completely irrelevant to me anyway. Might buy that upcoming housekeeping/decluttering book I read about though. Will it be Know Your Space’s Value? Hmm.

Anyway, if you got through all that, thanks!  MJ is still a train wreck and this forum is still the best thing about it, oddly. I’ve been lurking again for awhile now, so I thought I’d pop out and say hi.

Neona, you’ve made Katty Kay grow on me, finally! I don’t know how you did it but thank you :)

Welcome back Jenkait ! I remember posting about how much better the show was whe Willie & Savannah took over from Mika & Joe. Joe is smart enough to not allow a long term substitute hosts take over the show in case ratings go up while they are gone.

For the record, I was joking about Mika using one of housekeepers to co author a book about decluttering. It wouldn't surprise me if she did that though.

I thought it was hilarious that Mika used her intern, Daniella, her sister in law & a female friend that was overweight to co author 3 of her books.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, chick binewski said:

I think the Mediate piece overestimated this summer's attendance. They didn't factor in Joe bailing for an hour to an hour and a half and Mika having to sit out of conversations she can't follow when they actually do show up. 

I find it weird that Joe leaves the bunker when some Senators or members of Congress appear on the show. These are guests that are promoted by the network. It's even more bizarre when Joe will reappear at the end of the show to talk baseball with Barnicle or soccer with Roger Bennett

• Love 2
10 hours ago, neona said:

this is both profoundly inaccurate and a misrepresentation of the motives and circumstances of desperate human beings to whom a huge debt of gratitude is owed.

And the fact that dual citizenship should be raised as an issue here, given what these people have sacrificed and what is at stake is, well, pretty depressing imo. 

100% agree with you about Trump. There is more than enough blame to go around here, sadly

ooof. wasn't 2021 the year where we were all gonna be alive and happy again? *twiddles thumbs* 

Almost 2,000 Americans were evacuated...the State Department sent notices out to ALL U.S. citizens 19 times! I wasn't raising dual citizenship as an issue, I was making an accurate statement as to the situation there. The fact that people with both U.S. and Afghan citizenship did not get out was of their own making. They were sent information on what to do 19 times and did not respond. How is this inaccurate? Please explain what am I missing here? Are you saying that despite the State Department's outreach to all Americans, dual or not dual, nineteen times, about an upcoming evacuation, they (state Dept.) is to blame and is deliberately leaving people behind? You seem to have information that I am not aware of. Again, we evacuated 120,000 people...the largest and most successful non combatant civilian evacuation in U.S. history...we evacuated dual citizens, Afghan citizens and U.S. citizens...if someone who is a dual or not dual citizen wanted to leave, they had notice sent to them about what to do but for some reason chose not to. Maybe they had family concerns and wanted to stay. I know people at State and they did everything they could to get interpreters, guides and others out. If you send people 19 messages and they don't respond, what are supposed to do? 

Edited by BrownBear2012
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, jenkait said:

I have a family member with Asperger's...I don't think Elise Jordan has Asperger's. I think her problem is that she is not a trained newsreader or a TV personality. She is a politcal operative who worked for various politicians...a wonky type. In order for her to be successful as a host for any news show, she would need some training in how to be less wooden and how to be more relaxed in front of the camera. Some people are naturals and can do this very easliy...like Kasie Hunt or Rachel Maddow. E.J. is OK in a  contributor role...Ok but not great. I miss Heidi Przbila (sp?)...she was very good as a contributor.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:

I have a family member with Asperger's...I don't think Elise Jordan has Asperger's. I think her problem is that she is not a trained newsreader or a TV personality. She is a politcal operative who worked for various politicians...a wonky type. In order for her to be successful as a host for any news show, she would need some training in how to be less wooden and how to be more relaxed in front of the camera. Some people are naturals and can do this very easliy...like Kasie Hunt or Rachel Maddow. E.J. is OK in a  contributor role...Ok but not great. I miss Heidi Przbila (sp?)...she was very good as a contributor.

I've seen Heidi on other MSNBC shows, so there must be a 'reason' she's not been on Morning Joe in forever.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

I've seen Heidi on other MSNBC shows, so there must be a 'reason' she's not been on Morning Joe in forever.

I believe Mika is jealous of Heidi. Heidi has a strong vocabulary & speaks in complete sentences without getting emotional. Heidi is better dressed than Mika. 

Heidi speaks Polish & German without an accent while Mika struggles with reading basic English words on the TelePrompter.

There are unconfirmed reports that Mika freaked out last year when Joe called Heidi because he wanted to deposit some of his bonus money into her bank account due to her excellent reporting on the Trump campaign in 2020. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, oakville said:

For the record, I was joking about Mika using one of housekeepers to co author a book about decluttering. It wouldn't surprise me if she did that though.

I thought it was hilarious that Mika used her intern, Daniella, her sister in law & a female friend that was overweight to co author 3 of her books.

The more I think about this, Oakville, the clearer my memory becomes: I do remember you posting this! Clever, as always. I also remember an Instagram post from Mika bragging about her maid and how (apparently) Mika had paid her enough that she could now buy a home in the D.R. and that Mika would see it "soon", like this summer. Maybe that's where she is this week? Somewhat doubtable though, what with Mika's Covid fear. But, who knows...how much of what she harps on is actually true? She has to have an agenda or platform to focus on ad nauseam since she can't be spontaneous in interactions with others.

I tuned in at 6am Central to see Willie, which was good, but there were the same old guests: Barnicle droning on about Afghanistan, repeating what we've all heard over and over, and then Eugene, who prompts an automatic channel change. Sorry, but despite Willie at the helm, the show is just awful.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, BrownBear2012 said:

So another day and nothing about Joe and Mika not being there...it's weird. In the past, Willie would say "Joe and Mika have the week off"...now? Crickets.

In fairness, no one ever tells us when Rachel's going to be off, either.  The difference, of course, is that Rachel's viewers are salivating to have her come back.

• Love 2