Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

31 minutes ago, Camera One said:

I wonder why they decided that.  Do the 2 parts not connect together as per usual?  I supposed it gives us one more week of active discussion here.

I'd guess it was a network decision. They will, from what I read, connect. If A&E had their way, it probably would be a standard 2-hour finale airing on a single night. They love those.

11 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

Looks like they're splitting the two-part series finale into two separate weeks.

So, does that mean the final finale isn't going to be on May 18 (as announced previously), but rather on May 25, or does it mean that part one of the finale is May 11 and part 2 is May 18?

38 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

So, does that mean the final finale isn't going to be on May 18 (as announced previously), but rather on May 25, or does it mean that part one of the finale is May 11 and part 2 is May 18?

It's the latter.

26 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

It's the latter.

Whew! Because the DirecTV Now I have to get access to ABC runs out May 16, but I'll be out of town and at a hotel for the 18th, and I'd have had to come up with some other way to watch on the 25th (plus, that's Solo release day, so I would have had other plans and wouldn't be able to watch and snark live).

I imagine it's mostly about scheduling conflicts, that they didn't have something else they could bump (or wanted to bump) for that second hour to do a 2-hour finale in one night.

3 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

so I would have had other plans and wouldn't be able to watch and snark live).

This time, I hope to snark live with y'all if there's a live thread for the finale. I never got to do it in the past because I was always watching with other people. Now I'm the only one, LOL. It'll be a brutal snarkfest for all of us still in the Coven.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

This time, I hope to snark live with y'all if there's a live thread for the finale. I never got to do it in the past because I was always watching with other people. Now I'm the only one, LOL. It'll be a brutal snarkfest for all of us still in the Coven.

I do hope we have a live thread (or we can find each other on Twitter, or something). I'm a little embarrassed by the fact that I'm planning my Friday evening around this, even though I'll be at a conference. I made sure I had nothing scheduled, and I already have my excuse planned, that this is my mid-conference introvert recharge time, that I need a quiet Friday night to get me through Saturday and Sunday. I'm just bummed that I'm on medication right now that means I can't have alcohol. I'll have to get snacks, instead.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

How would a live thread work for East coast vs West Coast?

We usually do the East Coast/Central airing, then discussion shifts to the episode thread when it's unlocked, and then the live thread picks up again for the West Coast airing, with the night owls from the East Coast airing jumping in to interact.

14 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

We usually do the East Coast/Central airing, then discussion shifts to the episode thread when it's unlocked, and then the live thread picks up again for the West Coast airing, with the night owls from the East Coast airing jumping in to interact.

Sounds good -- thanks!  I'm not sure I'll watch live -- I prefer to skip commercials, and we're often interrupted during prime time.  But it's nice to know we have options.

Tumblr also usually has some good live activity. I'll be posting there, but I have to catch up on the past three weeks. I can't believe it's reached a point where I'm a few episodes behind and not really bothered by that.

(edited)

Snowflake is 9 or 10 in the finale. (

X)

The writers couldn't possibly care less about the timeline.

Jeez, this was supposed to be in the spoiler thread!!! Sorry about that!!

Edited by Souris
This was supposed to be in the spoiler thread! Oops! Sorry!
42 minutes ago, Souris said:

Snowflake is 9 or 10 in the finale. (X)

That would have to be about 4 years after original recipe Henry drove off on his motorcycle, if Henry was 13-14 at the end of season 6, and Snowflake was 1 to 2 years old (assuming Henry was 18 when he drove off to be a hero).  I am not sure they have carefully plotted out everything timeline wise....

6 minutes ago, CCTC said:

That would have to be about 4 years after original recipe Henry drove off on his motorcycle, if Henry was 13-14 at the end of season 6, and Snowflake was 1 to 2 years old (assuming Henry was 18 when he drove off to be a hero).  I am not sure they have carefully plotted out everything timeline wise....

But it might fit with when Baby Jones is an infant, since it seems to have been about ten years since the end of season 6 when Emma is pregnant. But if that's the case, we still have some timeline issues, since that would mean Robyn would be less than a year younger than Snowflake, and she was 18 when Lucy was born. So, was it about 8 years between the time Henry met Ella and them having Lucy? Did it take them that long to win their revolution?

4 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

Did it take them that long to win their revolution?

I was not focused on the time for that - but just inspired by the epic scenes of the rebellion overcoming tyranny at all odds with moments scenes of valor and sacrifice for their victory (or they actually had most of the rebellion completely off-screen, one of the two).

5 hours ago, Souris said:

Snowflake is 9 or 10 in the finale. (X)

Rereading Lana's comment, I wonder if real Robin will somehow come back to live and they will do a quick reunion of Regina's happy ending.  Maybe it will be a scene of WishRobin and OQ, although I would rather them not have two imaginary characters take up time in the reunion. 

Otherwise I could see it be some spiritual visit where ghost-Robin tells Regina it is OK to move on with Facilier (while she is using a pottery wheel).  It would be fitting for the show to end by giving Facilier a happy ending just episodes after he killed someone in cold blood.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Camera One said:

Last night's episode went from 2.35 million in the first half to 1.71 in the second half.  Yikes... no one cared about seeing the climax?  Demo was 0.5/3.  

That looks like one of its worst rejection data points in half hours yet in terms of viewership.  Not many people cared about it to begin with let alone the climax.

1 hour ago, Kktjones said:

Interesting - another site had last night's episode at .4 in the demo. Either way it's not good. I don't even think the returning stars can help the ratings at this point...

It might get a small bump for its series finale but they definitely tanked the show too much at this point for anything truly meaningful.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

Yep, A&E's spin-off series is definitely happening.

In 5 years, there will be appetite for a grown-up Lucy opening her door to "Hi, are you Lucy Mills? I'm your ______".  This story can never get old.

• Love 3
Just now, Camera One said:

In 5 years, there will be appetite for a grown-up Lucy opening her door to "Hi, are you Lucy Mills? I'm your ______".  This story can never get old.

A tale as old as time.

• Love 2
(edited)

Congrats Lana. You got the series finale centered around you, the bad news is it'll likely be a series low. But girl you go and get that coin cause you are THE show. 

Oh wait what did the Emma-centric fniale get last season, oh yeah bigger then anything this season. Yeah so much for Regigi being the lead.

I do enjoy the karma though. They all said Lana is the star, well congrats the one season she's the star the show tanks. Tell me again how this season will go down cause ratings pretty much point to it being ignored.

TAKE THAT BOW GIRL YOU EARNED IT!

Edited by cappoe
  • Love 5

Those in-episode drops are consistent and massive. I'd love to know how much of that is just people who are slow to change the channel and how many actually intend to watch the episode and then get bored twenty minutes in and tune out. 

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I still enjoy my blu-rays.

I was just quipping. :P I'm sure people still collect the blu-rays/DVDs for all the extras. I wish I could watch the audio commentaries without buying the sets. I want to laugh at what the writers say and quote it here.

Edited by KingOfHearts
10 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

I wish I could watch the audio commentaries without buying the sets. I want to laugh at what the writers say and quote it here.

Seriously. At this point the most interesting thing about the show is how far off the mark the writers seem to be. It's like someone takes the show they wrote and produced and replaces it with something else before it gets to the audience because the way they talk about it sometimes has me wondering what show they actually write for.

• Love 8

I may wait to buy season 7 until we get to it in the rewatch and maybe the price has come down a bit (usually after a year, they get cheaper) or I can find it at Half-Price Books. Unless I hear about a really awesome bonus feature, unless the finale totally blows me away, or unless I manage to do what I did last year, where a combination of Best Buy rewards, a Best Buy birthday discount, and a sale price mean I get the season set for about $10. I will probably want it, just for completion, and there are some scenes I do like. There will be a lot of fast-forwarding. I like it when Colin does audio commentaries because I like listening to his real accent, and he often has interesting insights, not only into his own character but also the production process.

If I had the technological capacity and the time, it would be interesting to see if you could do a Phantom Edit of this season, taking the available material and editing it into something that actually works and makes sense. Like, you could skip just about all the Cinderella-related stuff, since it turned out to be utterly irrelevant. She didn't even matter for a TLK with Henry.

My fave audio commentary was for Birth. Whichever writer was on the commentary with Colin loved the scene with Regina using the dagger to force Emma into saying  what she was afraid of because it was a such a great friendship moment and really highlighted how far they’d come. Meanwhile in the next episode Emma using the dagger on Hook was the worst thing a person could do. Good times. 

• Love 9
(edited)
56 minutes ago, Souris said:

Was Jane Espenson not writing for the show anymore? She wasn't invited to the finale event.

Is she saying she didn't even know the event was happening? I looked it up and she seems to have co-written about four episodes this season so she was definitely still writing for the show. That finale event was kind of a joke. The only original regulars I saw there were Lana and Gosh and I'd say Gosh only arrived because it was in LA where they live. Jen, Colin, Bobby, Emilie, Bex and Sean weren't there, and I'm pretty sure Jared wasn't there, or at least I didn't see him. It was the season 7 people and a bunch of guest stars. And now we know that even some writers for the show weren't invited. Not a great send-off.

Edited by superloislane
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, superloislane said:

Is she saying she didn't even know the event was happening? I looked it up and she seems to have co-written about four episodes this season so she was definitely still writing for the show. That finale event was kind of a joke. The only original regulars I saw there were Lana and Gosh and I'd say Gosh only arrived because it was in LA where they live. Jen, Colin, Bobby, Bex and Sean weren't there, and I'm pretty sure Jared wasn't there, or at least I didn't see him. It was the season 7 people and a bunch of guest stars. And now we know that even some writers for the show weren't invited. Not a great send-off.

Definitely seems like she didn't even know. If it was just for the actors, OK -- but then Mark Isham was there, so clearly it wasn't. So that's tacky not to invite the writers, too.

• Love 1
(edited)

It seems like it was pretty last minute, at least from what I can tell. I don’t know how quickly something like this can be put together (although it didn’t seem too glitzy from what I saw) but based on the fact that most of the cast wasn’t there (particularly those that have family overseas) it’s not impossible that Jane could have been on vacation or something and they just focused on who would be likely to show up. It’s tacky for sure, but probably not malicious. Still, lol at 75% of the main cast not being there. 

Edited by RolloTomasi
(edited)
1 minute ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I didn't know that the girl who played Paige and the girl who plays Robyn are sisters.

I forgot Paige existed LOL. Yet another potential love interest for Henry that would have been better than Jacinda.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

That finale party was pretty lackluster. Josh and Ginny were likely only there because they live in LA and Ginny has a vested interest in keeping up a good relationship with ABC/Disney. Pretty much everyone has moved on, which is why none of them bothered to come back for a party that was mostly just a press screening. It could be why Jane didn't know about it either. It wasn't a true celebration of the show, but simply a slap dash effort to grab some extra publicity for the finale. 

• Love 3

New Colin interview here  Nothing spoilery at all.

It's interesting how different he sounds from Lana here. It even says he's not sad about the end just proud and he'll miss it. He sounds really relaxed about it all. Whereas Lana's interview said she was completely inconsolable and really angry about it all. 

(Amazingly he doesn't say the show is about hope, he just says it's positive. Thank God! If another person said this show is about hope...whenever I hear that I always think it sounds like they don't know what else to say.)

• Love 9

This article - Once Upon a Time bosses list the show's 25 craziest fairy-tale twists - explains so much about the show and about A&E. It feels like so many things were done on the show so that they could say things like: "Captain Hook, Aladdin, Princess Jasmine, and the Little Mermaid traveled across realms together in the Nautilus submarine from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" and "Robin Hood sacrificed himself to save his true love, the Evil Queen, from Hades’ wrath, who was just trying to impress his girlfriend, the Wicked Witch of the West." Just proves they really were all about the "wouldn't it be cool if..." and didn't care if it necessarily made sense or was in-character.

• Love 5