Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, Souris said:

Or they're showing how clueless they are and why exactly the network is faltering so much.

They have to be pretty clueless, considering that both the Wonderland spinoff and Dead of Summer tanked and OUAT may have started strong but drastically bled viewers.

But it will be interesting to see how hands-on Spielberg is with the Amazing Stories series and if he puts up with their nonsense. At least that one is an anthology, which may be perfect for their attention span because it won't require long-term plotting or characterization.

• Love 6

I guess Lana Parrilla is guaranteed to be cast in this series. 

I'm wondering if this series will be full of their stock tricks of trade like last-minute twists, villain-apologism, and wonky morality disguised as "brave" writing decisions.

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

They have to be pretty clueless, considering that both the Wonderland spinoff and Dead of Summer tanked and OUAT may have started strong but drastically bled viewers.

Yikes at that track record and with OuaT, they tanked that all the way into the ground.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Rumsy4 said:

I'm wondering if this series will be full of their stock tricks of trade like last-minute twists, villain-apologism, and wonky morality disguised as "brave" writing decisions.

My money's on a couple rape by deception storylines - everyone loves those.

I do think Lana is a given, but I'm just praying they don't drag Colin into their mess. I never want to see any of the actors I like involved in one of their shows again...

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Shanna Marie said:

But it will be interesting to see how hands-on Spielberg is with the Amazing Stories series and if he puts up with their nonsense. At least that one is an anthology, which may be perfect for their attention span because it won't require long-term plotting or characterization.

I wonder if ABC's thinking is that A&E have good ideas but need careful managing, so if the network just provides more oversight than they did on OUAT, A&E can churn out some quite successful series. Almost like an "okay, generate the big idea...now hand it off to someone else and go outside and play!" kind of thing. Also, tbh, what OUAT showed ABC is that A&E can create shows that inspire such passion in the fanbase that it doesn't matter how bad the show gets, people will keep watching. That may actually be what ABC needs right now--eyeballs no matter the quality! Heh.

A&E better bring the casting people from OUAT with them wherever they go, though.

I do hope ABC understands that A&E will not be bringing a passionate creator-specific fanbase along, though (in the way that say a Bryan Fuller or Jonah Nolan would). Even most people who stuck with OUAT all the way to the end have vowed to steer clear of A&E projects in the future. OUAT has pretty much become a byword for "joke" among those who talk about TV online.

Time will tell, but while I could see this being something better than a total disaster for the network, I do think ABC will end up feeling like they didn't get great bang for their buck here.

• Love 6
(edited)

It's hilarious that the show they're working on is called "Amazing Stories", because that's exactly what A&E think they write. It's very them - the master storytellers.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 6
33 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

I wonder if ABC's thinking is that A&E have good ideas but need careful managing, so if the network just provides more oversight than they did on OUAT, A&E can churn out some quite successful series. Almost like an "okay, generate the big idea...now hand it off to someone else and go outside and play!" kind of thing. Also, tbh, what OUAT showed ABC is that A&E can create shows that inspire such passion in the fanbase that it doesn't matter how bad the show gets, people will keep watching. That may actually be what ABC needs right now--eyeballs no matter the quality! Heh.

A&E better bring the casting people from OUAT with them wherever they go, though.

I do hope ABC understands that A&E will not be bringing a passionate creator-specific fanbase along, though (in the way that say a Bryan Fuller or Jonah Nolan would). Even most people who stuck with OUAT all the way to the end have vowed to steer clear of A&E projects in the future. OUAT has pretty much become a byword for "joke" among those who talk about TV online.

Time will tell, but while I could see this being something better than a total disaster for the network, I do think ABC will end up feeling like they didn't get great bang for their buck here.

That I'm not so sure about, Adam and Eddy got lucky with OuaT after riding Lost's coattails, because ever since ABC allowed them free reign, it's only gotten worse given how they tanked this show and how the Wonderland spinoff and Dead of Summer series got cancelled after 1 season.

OuaT had a passionate fanbase because of the main characters, we've all seen their failed attempt at trying to recapture that.

41 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

I'm sure you are right about that for most of the serious OUAT fans. I'm not touching any A&E project with a ten-foot pole. The general audience probably won't know or care who the showrunners are before checking out a show. If Spielberg's name is associated with it in some capacity, that might be enough to bring in a bunch of viewers. For example, years after JJ Abrams left LOST and Person of Interest, he was still considered the main showrunner by some people. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Rumsy4 said:

I guess Lana Parrilla is guaranteed to be cast in this series. 

I guess i will never know the answer to that as i refuse to watch anything these clueless jerks touch ever again. 

• Love 2
(edited)

The deal is said to be a rich pact that could make Kitsis and Horowitz the highest-paid drama producers at the studio following Shonda Rhimes' move to Netflix. The deal keeps the duo at ABC Studios through 2022.

Life imitates art.  On the show, The Evil Queen destroys and uproots the lives of all the people in an entire realm, and gets crowned Queen of Everything.  In real life, A&E destroys every character in their own show, and gets crowned MVP Most Paid Producers of ABC Television.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 12
8 hours ago, Souris said:

A&E have signed big new deals, and I just want to know WTF these companies are thinking. ABC isn't going to rebound if this is who they're banking on. Seriously, WTF????

They must be desperate after losing Shonda. Or they're showing how clueless they are and why exactly the network is faltering so much.

Oh, no. If this amazing stories thing is similar to Black Mirror in feel like the article states there’s a fair chance Colin might sign on and I’ll be watching another A&E production after I swore I’d never. ? cause I’ll watch anything Colin or JMo are in.

• Love 3

I don't know if A&E would be able to handle one-off episodes without dragging out the payoff for 13 hours.  They'll probably exhaust all their ideas in half a season.  Then, they'll introduce a format where every week, everything is different except for one common element.  Regina.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Camera One said:

Then, they'll introduce a format where every week, everything is different except for one common element.  Regina.

And she will be crowned Queen of the Universe at the end of each episode. A&E's sheer brilliance will be shown in the many different ways they will achieve it.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

Giving A&E Amazing Stories manages to fit so perfectly with the depth and breadth of their weaknesses as writers and showrunners that I'm just shocked at the bizarro perfection of it.

Thinking back to how great the self contained two episodes of the season 3 finale were I do think an anthology series is the right place for A&E. If they don’t have to manage a timeline or canon they can probably do quite well.

• Love 2
(edited)

If by "reboot", they're going to re-tell the same stories from the 80's by picking the best parts, modernizing it, and throwing in some random twists and Apollo bars, then this new show might not require much actual creativity.

Wikipedia described it as a "fantasy, horror and science fiction" anthology series, so basically it's a mixed bag of everything A&E loves.

Edited by Camera One
(edited)
15 minutes ago, daxx said:

Thinking back to how great the self contained two episodes of the season 3 finale were I do think an anthology series is the right place for A&E. If they don’t have to manage a timeline or canon they can probably do quite well.

I have to disagree with this.

Despite two really great episode, for the most part A&E showed a complete lack of interest in exploring any depth to the fairy tales they were playing out.  They cared not at all about character development and relationships between characters.  it was all very surface.

Anthology episodes have to do all of that in an hour.  It takes exceptional writers with serious vision and talent to hook viewers to an anthology series where their is no recurring cast to grasp onto.  Imagine how long we would have stayed with OUAT if the cast changed every episode.

The best that can be hoped for is that A&E are show running only in that they are coordinating for big name talent in writing, directing, and acting who want to do an Anthology with Ambin/Apple.  Actually, that is perfectly in A&E's wheelwhouse.  They do have skills in recruiting talent.  And not using them when the next shiny thing gets their attention is the point of an Anthology.

They just need to somehow keep A&Es fingers out of set design, CGI, writing, direction, editing, wardrobe etc.

8 minutes ago, Camera One said:

If by "reboot", they're going to re-tell the same stories from the 80's by picking the best parts, modernizing it, and throwing in some random twists and Apollo bars, then this new show might not require much actual creativity.

Wikipedia described it as a "fantasy, horror and science fiction" anthology series, so basically it's a mixed bag of everything A&E loves.

The original was Spielberg's 80's answer to the Twilight Zone.

A&E are not talented enough to do anything that can be described as being in the same vein of the Twilight Zone. 

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Camera One said:

Life imitates art.  On the show, The Evil Queen destroys and uproots the lives of all the people in an entire realm, and gets crowned Queen of Everything.  In real life, A&E destroys every character in their own show, and gets crowned MVP Most Paid Producers of ABC Television.  

I guess Once really is a metaphor for Hollywood, after all.

I really hope they don't drag Colin into this. Lana, of course, is a given. It would be just like A&E to stick it to JMo and CS fans by casting them as love interests in something.

• Love 2

I know there were predictions that no one would ever hire A&E again, but somehow, this announcement doesn't surprise me.  The guys are weak writers and showrunners but they are smart where it counts.  Somehow, Lucifer from "Cinderella" is the image that comes to mind right now, LOL.  They know how to make their Lady Tremaine happy.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Souris said:

I guess Once really is a metaphor for Hollywood, after all.

This news reminded me of something I read a long time ago in The War for Late Night where Lorne Michaels describes the time he quit SNL and what a NBC network executive said to him when he did.

"When you leave, the show will get worse.  But not all of a sudden-gradually.  And it will take the audience a while to figure it out.  Maybe two, maybe three years.  And when it gets to be, you know, awful, and the audience has abandoned it, then we will cancel it.  And the show will be gone, but we will still be here, because we're the network and we are eternal.  If you read your contract closely, it says that the show is to be ninety minutes in length.  It is to cost X.  That's the budget.  Nowhere in that do we ever say it has to be good.  And if you are so robotic and driven that you feel the pressure to push yourself in that way to make it good, don't come to us and say you've been treated unfairly, because you're trying hard to make it good and we're getting in your way.  Because at no point did we ask for it to be good.  That you're neurotic is a bonus to us.  Our job is to lie, cheat and steal - and your job is to do the show."

I think A&E stayed within budget.  It didn't matter that they didn't know how to make the show not transparently look like they were struggling with the budget.  They created a show that lasted seven years.  So what if the last three or four years really sucked.  They would have cancelled it if they had something better.  A&E let them use "from the writers/producers of Lost" and "from the creators of OUAT" in their promotion.  I think A&E checked the right boxes on the stuff the network/studio cares about.  Unfortunately that is stuff that I as a viewer don't care about.

• Love 2

I'm not sure that "from the creators of Once Upon a Time" is really that much of a draw. Once wasn't a huge hit even at the start and it was bleeding viewers very early on. It just isn't going to resonate with people like shows that have impinged on the social consciousness. If you haven't seen Game of Thrones, you've heard of it. Breaking Bad is a show that had fairly small live viewership (usually 2-3 million) but a ton of people binged it and it had its highest viewership ever for its finale episode (10 million viewers). These are the kinds of shows that might drive someone to check out something new by its creators/writers. 

An anthology show is a tough row to hoe. The plot has to be tight and interesting because there isn't an audience connection with the characters to coast on. I'd be interested in knowing whether this is a seasonal anthology ala American Horror Story or if this is a new story each week like The Twilight Zone. A&E can write interesting stories, but too often they are more interested in pleasing themselves than writing for a specific audience and that doesn't work very well when trying to hook an audience for a new show.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, KAOS Agent said:

I'm not sure that "from the creators of Once Upon a Time" is really that much of a draw. Once wasn't a huge hit even at the start and it was bleeding viewers very early on. It just isn't going to resonate with people like shows that have impinged on the social consciousness. If you haven't seen Game of Thrones, you've heard of it. Breaking Bad is a show that had fairly small live viewership (usually 2-3 million) but a ton of people binged it and it had its highest viewership ever for its finale episode (10 million viewers). These are the kinds of shows that might drive someone to check out something new by its creators/writers. 

An anthology show is a tough row to hoe. The plot has to be tight and interesting because there isn't an audience connection with the characters to coast on. I'd be interested in knowing whether this is a seasonal anthology ala American Horror Story or if this is a new story each week like The Twilight Zone. A&E can write interesting stories, but too often they are more interested in pleasing themselves than writing for a specific audience and that doesn't work very well when trying to hook an audience for a new show.

Bingo. With an extra one to the highlighted part. That's exactly what they do. Does anyone really think they will suddenly stop doing that? They still don't think that was a problem. They'll stop their 'wouldn't it be cool' and constantly dropping storylines or put what the audience wants to see over what they really, really want to see? They'll keep doing the same stuff they did with ONCE. Focusing on only want they love or character they love, getting excited over something only to drop it and not bothering to put together a story that makes any sense.

• Love 1
(edited)
13 minutes ago, KAOS Agent said:

An anthology show is a tough row to hoe. The plot has to be tight and interesting because there isn't an audience connection with the characters to coast on. I'd be interested in knowing whether this is a seasonal anthology ala American Horror Story or if this is a new story each week like The Twilight Zone. 

The original series seemed to be a different story every week.  That's why I'm wondering if this reboot is working on people's nostalgia and just remaking the stories from '80s with a modern twist.  A&E is capable of taking other people's work and putting a ribbon or two on it but I don't see them coming up new original standalone stories for weeks on end.  The fact that Bryan Fuller had creative differences and left may mean Apple already has a vision for what they want.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Camera One said:

The original series seemed to be a different story every week.  That's why I'm wondering if this reboot is working on people's nostalgia and just remaking the stories from '80s with a modern twist.  A&E is capable of taking other people's work and putting a ribbon or two on it but I don't see them coming up new original standalone stories for weeks on end.  The fact that Bryan Fuller had creative differences and left may mean Apple already has a vision for what they want.

I think they are supposed to be brining in a variety of known writers and directors and that was the whole point of why Apple chose an anthology to be their first foray into content provider.  I think A&E got chosen mostly because they do take studio direction if its something the studio cares about.  I'm not sure how much of the series will actually be them contributing significantly.  I imagine there will be a couple high profile collaborators that get their way and do what they want regardless of what A&E think.

Yes, the show in the 80s was a different story each week...(God I am old...) but if I remember it was cancelled quickly so I am surprised it is coming back.  Though it may have had decent ratings but was just too expensive as I remember it had good production values.

I actually think that A & E might be good at such a show. I quite enjoy some of their episodes if I can divorce it from what I have seen before..(just these few episodes...WHY can Regina use magic in the LWOM..uh..Land that Used to Have Magic but Now its Kinda There But Hard to Find..so easily now..when she couldnt before....) and even sucky ones I can enjoy some of their jokey takes.  Episodes written and directed by heavy hitters with them producing could be good, as I hated their CGI but the rest of the production values were good.

20 hours ago, KAOS Agent said:

I'm not sure that "from the creators of Once Upon a Time" is really that much of a draw.

"The network that brought you Lost" is an incredibly stupid way to advertise a show as it points out that they can't name a single creative person from that show but they still do it.  Not being much of a draw doesn't necessarily mean anything.

8 hours ago, Mitch said:

Yes, the show in the 80s was a different story each week...(God I am old...) but if I remember it was cancelled quickly so I am surprised it is coming back.  Though it may have had decent ratings but was just too expensive as I remember it had good production values.

I actually think that A & E might be good at such a show. I quite enjoy some of their episodes if I can divorce it from what I have seen before..(just these few episodes...WHY can Regina use magic in the LWOM..uh..Land that Used to Have Magic but Now its Kinda There But Hard to Find..so easily now..when she couldnt before....) and even sucky ones I can enjoy some of their jokey takes.  Episodes written and directed by heavy hitters with them producing could be good, as I hated their CGI but the rest of the production values were good.

I'm just stuck on shows like Amazing Stories and Twilight Zone needing a smart and original concept or twist.  I just can't see A&E being able to pull that off.  Its literally a brain blockage I can't get beyond.  But my memory is also terrible.  I can no longer remember a really enjoyable episode besides Captain Swan time travel.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

I can no longer remember a really enjoyable episode besides Captain Swan time travel.

Hat Trick was brilliant and my favorite season 1 episode.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, KAOS Agent said:

It's not a draw, maybe a few years ago when the show was bigger and even then the Wonderland spinoff and Dead of Summer both failed.

This is also coming off of a weakened series that saw no real finale bump in the demo.

• Love 1
(edited)

The writing in ONCE has been steadily going downhill for a long time, and reached its nadir in Season 6. Granted some parts of Season 7 were good (mostly to do with WHook and Alice), but that doesn't inspire any sort of confidence in A&E as writers. That was probably a fluke, as that storyline wasn't even something the writers had originally intended. The last truly enjoyable episode was the CS movie. While there were a couple of good episodes in Season 4 and 5, the overall quality of the writing had deteriorated badly. It's hard for me to see A&E being disciplined enough to write an anthology series. 

Edited by Rumsy4
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, Rumsy4 said:

It's hard for me to see A&E being disciplined enough to write an anthology series. 

On the other hand, that doesn't require a lot of discipline. It's perfect for ADD writers because they don't have to build toward anything, they don't have to worry about pacing a story arc, they don't have to maintain character consistency for more than about 40 minutes, they don't have to do any deep worldbuilding and sustain it for more than one episode. And if this version of Amazing Stories is anything like the 80s one, it's all about the big twist. But instead of 10 or so episodes of no setup and setting up things that go nowhere so that the big, shocking twist will be a total surprise, they just have about half an hour of randomness before they have the big, shocking twist. Really, this is the perfect writing job for them.

Not that I think it will succeed. This concept failed miserably back during a far less competitive television era when there were basically just the big three networks and PBS, with basic cable mostly showing syndicated reruns and HBO only showing movies. I don't know how an anthology will do now. There's nothing to keep people coming back each week, and there's no reason to binge watch it if there's no flow from episode to episode.

• Love 1
(edited)

I did get a sneak peek at the first episode A&E are penning.

"Amazing Stories" - Episode 1 - Out of the Forest

A ticket collector is working late nights at a local theatre in Seattle and discovers that the building was constructed atop the sacred grove of tree nymphs that lived there thousands of years ago.  A tree nymph has returned - out for revenge on humankind.  Can a special pencil made from the sacred wood save the world?

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

they don't have to maintain character consistency for more than about 40 minutes, they don't have to do any deep worldbuilding and sustain it for more than one episode.

Lately they haven't even been consistent within a single episode.

9 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

And if this version of Amazing Stories is anything like the 80s one, it's all about the big twist.

I guess this is their one area to shine. But the twists on ONCE changed from clever subversions to reveals that came from nowhere. No one watches TV solely for the twist ending, as M. Shyamalan found out. 

However, a lot of TV shows have pretty bad writing and still succeed. A&E are no worse than most, I daresay. 

Adam is gifting on his Twitter, posting several scenes from the finale and also the epic Rumbelle scene in Episode 4.  You might need tissues for that and the Outlaw Queen scene script.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Rumsy4 said:

No one watches TV solely for the twist ending, as M. Shyamalan found out. 

Twists only work when they're done well as Shyamalan saw with The Sixth Sense compared to his other works.

• Love 3
(edited)

"Once Upon A Time" writer Brigitte Hales has been hired as a Writer for the new "Amazing Stories" that A&E are showrunning.  I wonder if more "Once" Writers will be forthcoming and they can reconstruct the "dream team" once more.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 5/23/2018 at 10:22 PM, Free said:

This is also coming off of a weakened series that saw no real finale bump in the demo.

Speaking of ratings, I looked up at the ratings for the whole show to see where the biggest drops (loss in audience members) were.

It was 2B, both the end of 4A and the start of 4B, and the end of 5A. I don't know about you, but all of those make perfect sense to me.

Season 1, 2A, Season 3, and 5B actually did pretty good and steady ratings-wise, while Seasons 6 and 7 were slow-bleeding viewers rather than suffering any major drops.

Edited by Inquirer
1 hour ago, XrystalPond said:

Shyamalan actually had doubts about the twist in the Sixth Sense. There were so many clues throughout that pointed to the twist that there was a concern if it was being telegraphed. 

As a writer, I love coming up with twists but hate the process of laying the tracks to get there. We writers spend so much time with these twists and clues that it becomes obvious to us. I've written things that people will remark what an awesome twist that was only for me to sort of shrug it off because to me it was predictable and not surprising at all.

In The Sixth Sense, it worked because there was ample build up to said twist, it makes sense especially on rewatch and you could go back and find context clues throughout the film.

So it depends on the twist, it has to be well done.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Free said:

In The Sixth Sense, it worked because there was ample build up to said twist, it makes sense especially on rewatch and you could go back and find context clues throughout the film.

And it made it like an entirely different movie when you rewatched it, knowing the twist.

The twists in the anthology SF shows are sometimes brilliant, like in some of the classic Twilight Zone episodes, but a lot of the time, they're just a big "gotcha!" at the end to create a shocking ending. Not even all the old Twilight Zone episodes were great.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

And it made it like an entirely different movie when you rewatched it, knowing the twist.

The twists in the anthology SF shows are sometimes brilliant, like in some of the classic Twilight Zone episodes, but a lot of the time, they're just a big "gotcha!" at the end to create a shocking ending. Not even all the old Twilight Zone episodes were great.

Exactly, but it always depends on how it's done.

I missed all the drama on Twitter where Adam had to confirm that Lana Parrilla and Jennifer Morrison did film together and it wasn't CGI, and the crew person had to explain that he was misunderstood and he was referring to Gosh and JM not filming together.  But most of the relevant tweets have been erased.

• Love 2

People have been posting pictures and videos from the Orlando con. It's kind of sad to see Colin without the characteristic "Hook" beard. There was huge outcry when he went clean shaven for Dust Storm, but then, we knew he would grow it back. But now...