Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

(edited)
13 minutes ago, orza said:

apparently, people at the network like it or it wouldn't still be used

"Design by committee." As a corporate designer, it's amazing how many terrible designs we're forced to publish just because the executives overruled the creative team.

Edited by Curio
  • Love 2

The apple is part of the product branding. Changing that is a big deal, so not something a graphic designer can decide. I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing when the people who carry the fiduciary responsibility have a say in look and feel of the end product andrein in the designers. Sometimes the graphics designers are also clueless and get caught up in design fads or expressing their own ideas without regard for the target demographic the network is trying to reach. Just look at the current trends in web design that use tiny grey fonts on a grey background making many web pages difficult to read and very user-unfriendly. So many cringe-worthy web sites out there that hipster designers no doubt think are cool.

Half the apple is black and half is red.  I'm speechless over the subtle symbolism.  With Dark Swan, the entire apple was black, though in light of what *actually* happened in 5A, the apple should have been grey.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, MMR said:

It will probably be the dvd cover.

I don't have Rumple's crystal ball in front of me, but I doubt it will be the overall Season 6 DVD cover. It's much too similar to the Season 3 DVD cover, which would be confusing for sales. But then again, I'm also a "clueless" designer who doesn't know anything about marketing and target demographics...

• Love 3

On Twitter, I'm sure the battle lines are already drawn.  Most of us in here probably couldn't care less, but it's always nice to have something to joke about.  Everything about this show is an endless source of amusement to me.

• Love 5
(edited)

I'm strictly criticizing the design aspects of it because...well...it's my job to critique this kind of stuff every day. But there's no use in fans trying to analyze whether or not Regina is suddenly going to get a whole bunch of screen time now because there's generally no correlation between OUAT's promotional materials and what's actually shown on screen.

It's... a poster.

OUAT is also just... a show. Designers are passionate about posters, Previously.tv members are passionate about discussing TV. ;)

Edited by Curio
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Curio said:

I'm strictly criticizing the design aspects of it because...well...it's my job to critique this kind of stuff every day. But there's no use in fans trying to analyze whether or not Regina is suddenly going to get a whole bunch of screen time now because there's generally no correlation between OUAT's promotional materials and what's actually shown on screen.

But in this case, I have a feeling there will be.

The OUAT SDCC Panel is scheduled for Saturday July 23 at 10am.

Jennifer Morrison, Robert Carlyle, Lana Parrilla, Josh Dallas, Emilie de Ravin, Colin O’Donoghue, Rebecca Mader and Jared Gilmore join executive producers Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz. Moderated by Yvette Nicole Brown.

Hoping we get some good spoilers, but I'm mostly looking forward to cast hijinks during the interviews. 

1 hour ago, Curio said:

No Ginny again...

Probably because she's staying with her newborn like she did 2 years ago.

Besides, if we get the same kind of stuff we got last year, then she might as well stay with her baby.

• Love 1

I find it amusing to compare Colin's ComicCon panel and press room performances from year to year and see him gain a lot more confidence. His first year, it was like a deer in the headlights, and he's gradually started to look like he's having fun. Our little pirate is growing up, right before our eyes. (The designers here critique posters, as a former media trainer, I critique this sort of thing.)

• Love 4

I like the cover, except for the font for the tagline. I wouldn't confuse it for the season 3 cover at all. I definitely would prefer this to the season 3 and 4 covers. 3 was okay, but the picture of Hook's ship against the moon was what should've been the cover, imo.

On 7/7/2016 at 2:52 PM, KingOfHearts said:

I'm surprised by how many people have been commenting that it's the "best poster in seasons". 

That has nothing to do with the poster or its MEH-tastic design (another clueless and out-of-touch designer here), but strictly who is on the cover. All Evil Regals are required to gush about the poster; it's in the by-laws.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, XrystalPond said:

I have a feeling that Colin is genuinely excited to have this. Especially in his old interviews, he comes across as someone who would see that as a cool moment of status. 

I am certain he totally geeked out about it.

I'm trying to figure out how all these characters from classic literature count as "untold stories." I suppose it might have meant "untold by the magical Author" if Henry hadn't found the books telling their stories. But they're famous stories that have also been given the Author treatment. What makes them so "untold"? But hey, they're casting hot guys, so I'm good, I guess.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

I'm trying to figure out how all these characters from classic literature count as "untold stories." I suppose it might have meant "untold by the magical Author" if Henry hadn't found the books telling their stories. But they're famous stories that have also been given the Author treatment. What makes them so "untold"? But hey, they're casting hot guys, so I'm good, I guess.

I take it as something that doesn't end after we close the book. Like with Snow White and Prince Charming, their story didn't end with they kissed and lived happily ever after. It continued afterwards. They got married, fought a war, had a child, were cursed for 28 years.

(edited)

JMo will have a solo panel at NerdHQ Saturday at 1PM. It will be livestreamed on Facebook for everyone to watch. Usually in previous years the NerdHQ panels were vastly more interesting than official Comic Con ones!

Edited by Serena
  • Love 3

I was just coming here to post this! So excited to see JMo is doing a Nerd HQ panel. I loved the panel she did with awesome women two years ago and the mystery panel last year was AMAZING! I can't wait to see her solo and hear her talk about the show and the movie she shot this summer. :)

• Love 1

The thing that still cracks me up about last year's Nerd HQ panel was when they were asked what their idea of "Treat Yo'self" was. All the men on the panel were dads with very small children, and they all said "sleep!" while the women (who I believe are all single and childless) were talking about expensive purses and first-class travel. Though Colin did eventually confess to having a bit of a guitar collection.

• Love 1

I don't get it. Is that the whole poster? They're still building it, right? It looks unfinished.

I think it's a missed opportunity - if it HAD to be Regina, have it be half EQ/half good Regina. It doesn' stand out next to previous years, so it's a marketing fail.

(edited)

I time-travelled and caught a snippet.

MODERATOR: So, it's the question we're all dying to ask.  What's it like having The Evil Queen in town?

PANEL MEMBERS: Polite laughter.

MODERATOR: Lana, what's it like to play The Evil Queen again in all her deliciousness?

LANA: It is so fun and so rewarding as an actor.

MODERATOR: And Ginny, as invisible as you are on the show I see?

PANEL MEMBERS: Crickets

MODERATOR: We got so many interesting questions from the audience.  Let's see, here's one.  It's for Adam and Eddy.  What's it like to have The Evil Queen in Town?

EDDY: It's great, really.  It's a culmination of everything we've ever done on this show, literally.

ADAM: It really adds a brand new dynamic that we haven't seen since.... well, the finale.

MODERATOR: Let's take a break from talking about nothing!  Here's a video clip which is completely irrelevant and totally misleading!

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 5

Well, the panel might branch out into a few other topics. Isn't Yvette Nicole Brown moderating again? And isn't she a bit of a Captain Swan shipper? So you can count on one innuendo-laden question from her aimed at Jen and Colin that will make Colin blush furiously. And if they take audience questions and the right person gets to the microphone, someone might try baiting them with the question about whether the Underworld ambrosia test proved that Hook and Emma are true love (either coming from the CS shipper perspective of trying to force A&E to say it or coming from the Swan Queen perspective of hoping to get them to say it wasn't). Jen will give a lengthy, thought-out reply about Emma lowering her barriers and making herself vulnerable and how meaningful that was that she chose his well-being over her own, even though he was dead anyway, during which time Colin will sit beside her and nod, adding at the end, "Yeah, and, you know, the door opened for them, so there you go." And then either A or E will undermine it completely by saying something like, "I guess it depends on how you define true love. I mean, there are all different kinds of love, and different situations and circumstances."

• Love 4
(edited)

And then either A or E will undermine it completely by saying something like, "I guess it depends on how you define true love. I mean, there are all different kinds of love, and different situations and circumstances."

A&E should never attempt to describe philosophy or human emotion. They suck at it.

Edited by KingOfHearts
(edited)

Rebecca Mader and Tom Ellis were doing the TV Guide fan favorite panel at SDCC earlier, and I just can't help but see the irony in that. Also, she looks like a pretty delightful person who doesn't take herself seriously.

Edited by YaddaYadda