Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

(edited)

And the really galling thing is that it's not even "reformed" Regina as Adam and Eddie claim she is now -- it's full-on Season 1 Evil Queen Regina.

Seriously, Adam and Eddie?  That is so two years ago!

Edited by legaleagle53

And you know, at least last season when the main pic wasthe back Emma with a sword, they put images of each regualar in boxes on the cover. There were boxes on the S1 DVD with all the characters, too. But nope for this! Can't risk making people think there are other characters on the show.

I believe the poster was chosen by fans on Facebook at the beginning of the season, but guess what? There was no Emma, Snow or Charming in any of the options. Talk about a rigged poll.

Maybe the people who aren't Regina fangirls need to flood the various columnists with questions that either don't relate to Regina or that take a different spin on her. I wonder if that's what's creating the echo chamber effect, that the people who are most vocal seem to be more in that camp. So, maybe we need more stuff like "How will Regina react to the fact that she's the one who killed Robin's wife in the initial timeline?" instead of the "poor Regina, losing her boyfriend because his wife isn't really dead" stuff. And then anything else we can think of that isn't about Regina. Like, what's next for Emma now that she's staying, will Hook get a wardrobe makeover now that he doesn't want to be a pirate, will Mary Margaret have a reduced role this half season since Ginny just gave birth.

(Sorry, I used to work in PR, and sometimes I just can't help but come up with campaigns.)

• Love 1

Wicked Villains – What makes the villains of ‘Once Upon A Time’ tick? These complicated characters are not only wicked, evil and dastardly but sometimes heroic, charming and brave. The actors who embody these bad guys and the writers who create them take an in depth look at the show’s interpretation of everyone’s favorite foes.

Pretty much a pity party for mostly Regina and the other villains, and probably having the other characters trying to defend them as misunderstood and nonsense like that.

As for the cover, really?  EQ again like S1?

(edited)

To be fair, I don't think Adam and Eddy have much say in the DVD design. But that does make you wonder what show the ABC design team watched.

You are right. I don't believe they were the ones to personally chose this, but I am pretty convinced that, if they had wanted to, they could have asked ABC to change it to a more neutral choice. But since they probably sleep with that picture on their pillow, that didn't happen.

For those who are curious, the first season DVD cover featured a picture of the EF with all the series regulars minus Henry and Jiminy on it. As for the second season, I've found a version with the Jolly Roger and all series regulars minus Henry and Belle, and another version with Emma with her sword and the same choice of regulars. BTW, that particular picture of Emma with the sword is stunning and I wish we had gotten a bigger version and some outtakes of that photoshoot. Autumn de Wilde, who did the season 2 pictures, is so much better than whatever hack they hired for season 3.

Edited by Serena

Hey, let's get back on topic in here. This is for conversation about the show in the media; the DVD release is news, so it should be here. But if you want to continue discussing Regina, then feel free to start a topic for her. Thanks!

Guys, I am 100% sure that is not the actual cover art for season 3. Cover art isn't always available when DVD release's come out and recognizable temporary art is used as a place holder until the final art selection is decided. It's very likely going to have a similar look to the first two seasons. So chillax please.

• Love 1

I want to get a copy of season 2-3 with the commentary. But watching on the tv with my husband snarking just isn't fun. Is there a legal streaming source I can buy that includes special features and commentary?

Amazon does not include special features or commentary.

I sympathesize about the snark! Although I am critical of the show, my cousin used to hang around when it's on, not really watching, but just interjecting obnoxious comments about how dumb everything is.

I think extras tend to only appear on the DVDs, unfortunately. Maybe you could just watch the DVDs on the computer? Would that work?

I sympathesize about the snark! Although I am critical of the show, my cousin used to hang around when it's on, not really watching, but just interjecting obnoxious comments about how dumb everything is.

I think extras tend to only appear on the DVDs, unfortunately. Maybe you could just watch the DVDs on the computer? Would that work?

I may end up doing that. but his computer is just behind mine and he will still snark even if he cannot hear it.  I can avoid the snark if I sit on the couch with my iPad. :( He continually goes on about that grubby looking pirate guy I keep looking at. lol 

• Love 1
(edited)

I hope I'm right that double posting is okay if there's something new to discuss?

Emmy ballots went out today. You can see whoch episodes were submitted in writing, directing, etc. I was sure they'd submit an awful Regina cry-fest for "best writing", but they haven't lost all awareness: only episode submitted is "Going Home".

As for the acting submissions, everyone submitted as supporting except JMO and Ginny (laughably, even Lana. I was to see the show they're selling to the Emmy's!). Jared did not submit.

Edited by Serena

Interesting. I would love to see some of the episodes each actor submitted. I'm assuming Colin would probably submit "Good Form" but not sure about some of the others. Also, it's strange but I think you can only be judged on the one single episode you submit for an acting category and not a whole season of work. Does that sound right?

Interesting. I would love to see some of the episodes each actor submitted. I'm assuming Colin would probably submit "Good Form" but not sure about some of the others. Also, it's strange but I think you can only be judged on the one single episode you submit for an acting category and not a whole season of work. Does that sound right?

Not that it really matters. Shows of this genre don't exist as far as Emmy is concerned, especially if they don't air on HBO or Showtime.  Therefore, it wouldn't matter whether the submission were for one episode or the season of work as a whole -- I'd be shocked if any of the cast even got nominated, much less won.

• Love 1

Honestly, I'm surprised they nominated "Going Home." It was emotional, yes, but if you look at it in a void, the episode wasn't that well-written. It had pacing and logic problems galore. "Lost Girl" and "The New Neverland" were better scripts.

That said, yeah, for the Emmys any sort of sci-fi/fantasy show doesn't exist, so it's a moot point.

(edited)
Also, it's strange but I think you can only be judged on the one single episode you submit for an acting category and not a whole season of work. Does that sound right?

I believe Supporting Actors get to submit two episodes (they are supporting, so two episodes will give them more of an opportunity to feature their acting skills).

Sure are a lot of people who think they deserve an Emmy. :P

I think pretty much everybody submits because it's a form of advertising.  If you don't think you are good enough for an award, why should anybody else? You should see the Grammy submission lists for the general categories (and that's with the serious contenders submitting carefully so they don't split their votes).

Realistically, I think the cable channels will dominate in most of the drama categories.  I think Once's best chance is in costuming.

Edited by kili
(edited)

I think Once should be considered for costuming (especially since the costume department makes most of the FTL ones themselves, much more difficult than just buying something for "regular" characters), score (Mark Isham) and casting in general (the casting department has found some real gems over the years, especially in matching younger/older versions. When A and E don't let the, do their job, like with MRJ, it's jarring. I weep thinking about who they could have found for old!Bae)

Edited by Serena
  • Love 1
(edited)

Eh, it's mostly their agents and publicists who do that. I finally found the ballots on the Emmy website. I'm surprised Lana submitted for supporting instead of lead.

[OT]Of course, IMO, if any actress other than Tatiana Maslany wins for lead, it's not valid. Though since she's on a sci-fi show, I wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't even nominated.[/OT]

Edited by Souris
  • Love 3

Loved all the pictures we got. She's absolutely stunning. I guess she's done now and we wait for the interviews. Though I know in one of them she said she knows nothing about what happens in season 4.

She was, although I wish she didn't go for the fresh-colored clothes every time. She looks so good in colors.

Here's the first interview (no spoilers).

So, people is attacking her on tumblr and twitter because of what she says about Neal here.

Uggggh. She was just explaining the writers' reasoning (and I thought she articulated it better than they ever have, too). She has no say in the storylines. Why is that so hard for some people to understand?

Sometimes I love fandoms, but sometimes...

The funny thing is, she's being very diplomatic about it here. She's like "yeah his betrayal hurt very badly". I remember a couple of years ago at PaleyFest when instead she was like "when is Charming going to punch Neal in the face for what he did to me?". 

I just hope the backlash (and there seems to be backlash to every single thing she says, for people whose ships aren't happening on the show) doesn't make her stop being truthful in interviews. I find her the most insightful of the Once actors, by far.

• Love 4
(edited)

Some people can't handle the truth, even when it's blatantly obvious. I mean, jeez, obviously Neal framing Emma and sending her to jail hurt her terribly. How is that even debatable? To think otherwise is to ignore basic parts of Emma's character and what's actually happened on the show.

It really sucks that people are attacking her for having an opinion and speaking the truth. That's the ugly side of fandom. I agree that she seems very thoughtful about Emma and her portrayal of her, and if people have a problem with it, then, well, that's THEIR problem.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 1
I find her the most insightful of the Once actors, by far.

Yes, they're all very thoughtful about their characters, but JMo is definitely the most insightful (in some respects probably because she has to do way more headcanon-ing than the other actors!). And she manages to also be very, very eloquent when she talks about the show, which is just as big a puzzle piece. You can be thoughtful, but if you can't express yourself that will never really come across. Gratefully, she's very articulate.

I'm actually surprised that she doesn't mention Neal needing to die to keep Rumpel a gray character. To me, that seems like it was just as much an impetus for the death.

Man, I wish they let Emma smile more on this show. JMo's smile just lights up the room. Though I agree that I don't love her in that dress--with her coloration, nude just doesn't work. Bright colors are the way to go.

• Love 1

Some people can't handle the truth, even when it's blatantly obvious. I mean, jeez, obviously Neal framing Emma and sending her to jail hurt her terribly. How is that even debatable? To think otherwise is to ignore basic parts of Emma's character and what's actually happened on the show.

I think one of the problems is that the writers have tried to retcon that part of Emma and Neal's past so much - even tried to sell a "I had no choice, I had to do it" narrative that makes no sense - that when Jennifer lays down the truth (it was an hurtful action that Emma wasn't ever going to get over enough to be with him romantically again) it may seem jarring. But that's not Jen's fault.

And this would be why it's a bad idea for writers to take their cues for what to do in a series based on social media fan reaction: They then start catering to the more vocal lunatic fringe that makes a certain idea seem or sound popular while drowning out the more moderate voices with other preferences that they're not so fanatical about that they make it a priority to spend a lot of time screaming about it on Twitter and tumblr.

I thought she was very articulate in that interview, and quite diplomatic in the way she phrased things (I used to media train corporate executives, so I can't seem to stop myself from grading interviews). Maybe we need the Jen translation of all the writing in the show. It would make so much more sense.

• Love 5

I can only assume they were never fans of Jennifer in the first place. You can't send someone that much hate if you were a fan imo. It's one thing to be unhappy or disagree with something she said but to send death threats and such? That's just crazy.

I know I'm biased when it comes to Jennifer so I'm happy to see others already sticking up for her (here, twitter, tumblr, and such).

I admit I haven't followed that many celebrities but I've never come across someone who puts that much thought into their character and responses. She rarely gives one liner answers. She really thinks about the questions and tries to answer respectfully. I hope she stays far away from the hate because I don't want to read or watch an interview where she's guarded in what she says. She's always so lovely and animated and just a pure joy to listen to.

• Love 2

Her response was so eloquent.  I don't buy the BS that the writers gave about why they needed to kill off Neal, but that was not up to Jennifer Morrison.  She can only work with what she is given, and based on her past comments, I presume that she also wanted more scenes with Snow and Charming.

I thought she made a pretty good point at the end there (and very subtly), which is that her good friend and colleague lost their job over this plot point. Regardless of what they think of the writing decisions, it must be a pretty sad day for everyone on set when something like that happens.

• Love 2
(edited)

This fandom doesn't deserve Jennifer. She's too classy, too smart, and too caring for them.

Of course I'm talking about the crazies.

Edited by Stuffy
  • Love 1

Shame on all those people who sent her hate on twitter (I checked--it was nasty). She really didn't need to have to explain herself. It's unfortunate. I partly blame Adam--he encourages trolls and haters all the time--so they think they can take the same liberties with the cast as well. Social media gives a lot of people "courage" to be rude to people, and they don't realize they are actually being cowards.

• Love 5

I hate so much that those numbnuts created such a reactionary stink that she felt the need to justify and explain herself, when 1) She didn't have to, because she didn't say anything wrong, and 2) SHE'S IN FREAKING MONTE CARLO and should be having fun and not dealing with idiots who send her hate.

• Love 1

Yeesh. I love social media because it can bring out the uniqueness of actors who are on these great shows we love. It's just too bad it also brings out the "uniqueness" of some of the more rabid parts of a fanbase.

Nobody and nothing on this show has a shot at any kind of Emmy nomination. Maybe Robert Carlyle has an outside shot, like on Venus kind of shot. The others might as well be on Pluto. As for the supporting or lead, usually the lead competition is viewed as fiercer so sometimes if you are really a lead you submit in supporting to better your chances. Also as a lead that goes up against real supporting people, chances are your material has more weight. For those who knows that they have zero chance at getting a nomination then the lead vs supporting thing is probably just a status thing.

Soap operas, which is basically what Once is, always attract the most rabid and psychotic fans.

• Love 1

Ugh. I can't believe the shitstorm one little interview can cause ... a shitstorm that is not at all necessary. I haven't checked the vitriol because it'll only make me angry, but the fact that she felt she had to respond like that is proof enough.

Social media can a wonderful thing ... when used properly. The live tweet sessions and the Ask Actor sessions are fun to participate in or even just watch. I've gotten random responses from some of my favorite celebrities. I even got Brian McNamara of Army Wives to act as my own personal IMDb and confirm that it was indeed him I was seeing in an old episode of Early Edition! That stuff is fun. My fear is that the people who get their courage from the anonymity of a screenname are going to ruin it for the rest of us.

Good on Jen for responding so eloquently and so nicely (I wouldn't have been) but I feel awful that she had to respond at all.

I hate the internet so much some times.  Some people are just incredibly vile and they take this way too seriously.  I guess that's their true nature though, it's easier to behave like disrespectful a-holes when you're hiding behind a laptop.  Some people find their courage that way.

None of the actors deserve to be attacked that way.  For instance, I felt terrible for MRJ when those rumors started out about him being fired and trashing his trailer and he just sat there and couldn't defend himself because of what was going on with his character.  I may have actively disliked Neal, but the actor did nothing wrong.

• Love 1

Poor Jen. She seems like a sensitive soul. I agree that it's partly Adam baiting them that makes these people think they can speak to the actors like this - except, Adam seems to love riling people up, while Jen obviously takes it personally (and to be fair, who wouldn't take it personally if some stranger called you a bitch over some tv show remarks?). But I am completely amazed by what this fandom will get riled up about. This completely respectful interview of Jen's or a comment like "all my ships are on this couch"? They go crazy. Lana calling Graham Regina's "toy boy" and saying they have a "cute, flirty" relationship? Not a peep.

• Love 1

It's not so much related to Adam's interaction with fans as it is just fans being douchebags. It happens to every celebrity on the web now that there's a level of anonymity that wasn't there before. It just sucks.

• Love 2

It's not so much related to Adam's interaction with fans as it is just fans being douchebags. It happens to every celebrity on the web now that there's a level of anonymity that wasn't there before. It just sucks.

Oh, I agree, it's certainly not Adam's fault that they're acting like they are. But he does give them positive reinforcement. When they insult him on Twitter, he replies to them. They're the one he replies to the most, and I'm not talking about the ones who express polite criticism. 

• Love 2