Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

(edited)

Yeah, that's really bad. I would like to think that Lana knows better. Do we have a source for this?

Since I wouldn't want to accuse Lana without proof, but I was pretty sure she said that, I went back and found a source. To be exact, she says there's a "cute flirtation". Here's context (it was for "Welcome To Storybrooke").

Mona: When is my handsome sheriff returning to Once Upon a Time?

You must be talking about the one and only hipster Sheriff Graham, aka Jamie Dornan. He is set to return in an upcoming flashback episode, and most of his scenes will be with Lana Parrilla. "You'll see the charming, handsome Jamie Dorman and I think there's a cute flirtation between them," she tells us. "Regina is excited to have him back in her life." Then why did you kill him, huh?! Sorry, we flew off the handle. Having a tough time letting that death go.

The original article is from E! Online here. And in that same week, several Jamie Dornan interviews came out where he was like "you see the amount of control she has over him, it's quite sad". What kind of scripts did they get that Lana understood "flirting" and Jamie "slavery"?

Edited by Serena
  • Love 1

Yeah, there was no cute flirtation between Graham and Regina in that episode or at any other point in their relationship. That's a really weird quote. "Excited to have him back in her life" in a flashback when he'd been constantly in her life since she took his heart and forced him to do her bidding? He was never not in her life after that until she killed him years after the "Welcome to Storybrooke" flashback.

I'm hoping Parrilla was just excited to work with Dornan again, and like some internet fans, got a little confused about the difference between actor and character.

• Love 1

From reading interviews with actors playing villains, they consistently say that they have headcanons that help justify what their character is doing on-screen so that they can portray the character believably. I think Lana took it a little too far and quoted it as something actually happening on screen, instead of what she does for acting. It's a shame, and just makes me rage whenever I think of poor Graham. 

(edited)

Heh. So, this will probably just fan the flames of people thinking ABC shows favouritism for Captain Swan, but they're having a "Pirate And Princess Summer Event". Ginnifer will take part in the event by guest starring (as a voice actor) on Sofia the First, playing "the castle's kitchen maid who aspires to be an inventor". July 25th is the air date. I wonder if she already recorded her appearance? Otherwise, she's going back to work super fast after giving birth. I'm guessing a recording session should take a couple of hour tops and could be done in her jammies, but still!

Edited by Serena

legaleagle53,

Because it takes a long time to produce animation start to finish, Ginny likely did her voice-over work for the episode several months ago. I know the original press release mentioning she was going to be in Sofia was in either fall or winter and didn't specify her character as I definitely wondered if she was taking over the role of the animated Snow White, who was announced to appear in a future episode as well. (She did not, they used another actress.)

Yeah, that's really bad. I would like to think that Lana knows better. Do we have a source for this?

She also said some things at the first Paleyfest.

And there's this article: https://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/yahoo-tv/will-regina-find-love-on--once-upon-a-time---star-lana-parrilla-tells-all-155839883.html

And this one: http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/01/08/once-upon-a-time-lana-parilla-on-dirty-politics-and-the-queens-true-feelings-for-graham/

It's far from a rare quote for her. I have assumed she talks from her character's POV just like many of the "good guy" actors as well. But it bugs no one has ever gone and asked Lana if Regina ever learned she was a rapist. Guess that doesn't make the average interview list. 

However whenever they first mentioned Regina getting a boyfriend it's like, oh wow, I hope she learns about the differences between relationships  and rape and what consent looks like before she gets a "boyfriend" that she could totally control with magic if she so chose. Since she regrets nothing she's ever done and all.

• Love 1

I think the only one who ever actually flat out admitted Regina is a rapist is Jane Espenson. I've not been able to find the direct quote, but I'm pretty sure she said it. Adam did once admit it in a roundabout way, but then proceeded to swear up and down that Graham totally had free will!! in Storybrooke. Jamie Dornan did have some quotes about how their relationship was "sad" but again, nothing concrete.

And Jennifer did once side-eye one interviewer hard when he called Graham Regina's "toy boy" but I get that she probably thinks it's not her place to say anything.

The thing that makes me crazy is that that same interviewer (I think it was at PaleyFest) did ask the question, "so how do you respond to the accusations that you're portraying adoption in a negative light?" so it's not light they're totally unwilling to ask the hard questions. 

(edited)

She's afraid of flying and she's willingly going on a 16-hour flight?! Damn.

On the bright side, we may get some spoilers out of her. Since filming starts on July 9 and the con is on July 5-6, she would already have the script for sure.

Edited by Serena
Does anyone else think they picked some terrible images for the interiors?

Yes! Not because they are unflattering, they are just a bit boring. I would have preferred more exciting shots, and ones with multiple characters interacting.

Yes! Not because they are unflattering, they are just a bit boring.

Exactly! It's like they went into their archives and just picked random screencaps from S3/the end of S2. Like, give us real posed shots, or give us better screencaps, but this isn't cutting it.

Plus, aside from maybe Charming's, the pictures are all so homogenous. Give me some different composition, posing, action, anything.

Yeah, it's boring. I bet they have 3435 unreleased shots for each episode in their archives, couldn't they have found something new so so die-hard fans that have seen it all could be tempted to buy? I can find any of these shots in high-res on the Internet and make myself something better and it would be cheaper. Sigh. If only someone more in-touch with the fandom ran Once's merchandising dept. They could so easily make lots of money on all kinds of merch if they just put some thought into it.

I did move some posts over to the Cons and Other Live Appearances thread from here, FYI.

We need a forum specific mod suggestions and Q&A thread but can we just merge these two threads together? The line between media promotion and articles, public appearances, live appearances is so thin the two separate threads just creates "extra clicking".

Call it "Once Upon a Time Media, Articles, Promotion and Appearances"  or something.

They go on television and to cons mostly to promote the show in the media. Cons and fests happen a handful of times a year. It's like having a clothing thread and then a separate thread about socks.

But meanwhile, we have no thread for open discussion with the forum specific mods ;) With information you've broken down in a post here or there about who the mods for this forum are or which ones handle spoilers and which ones don't. I'd love a pinned topic about all that.

• Love 1
(edited)
It's like they went into their archives and just picked random screencaps

Totally random.  Most of them aren't smiling or have any significant expression, and in some, the character is looking to the side at who knows what.  

Edited by Camera One

I'd rather not have the two threads merged. Having a separate con thread makes it easier for anyone who attend cons to see when actors announce upcoming appearances without having to dig through the other stuff.

I'm amused that not only did Ariel get her own month on the calendar but both Snow and Belle's pictures are from stills where they're talking to her. "Salad Trident" and "Thimble" respectively.

(edited)

I would guess that the way the calendar thing works is that a company that churns out these sorts of TV and movie calendars pays ABC/Disney a licensing fee for the rights to the images, name, etc. ABC probably sends over some episode stills, and then an intern has about a day to select the shots and lay it out.

In fact, yeah, here is an article about the company that makes these calendars. It's 20 years old, but I doubt much has changed.

Which is not to say ABC couldn't put more effort in at their end, but perhaps research tells them that putting in the extra effort would not be duly compensated in increased sales. Enough people probably buy these things for their relatives for Christmas regardless of content that it doesn't matter if they're a bit crappy. I worked for a company for a while that produced some calendars. They had to be of a certain quality to sell, but the company only ever wanted it to be that bare minimum, and were always trying to do it for less and less money . 

Edited by retrograde

Here's your spot to post information on Once Upon A Time live appearances by the cast and crew!

Live appearance can cover an appearance at a con, upfront event, or other fan event. Please note, these are LIVE events. You may also post links to video from past events in here. The key here is that it is a live event.

As always, spoiler tag or note if there are spoilers in any links!

For MEDIA information (print, television, and internet coverage), please see the Once Upon A Time in the Media topic.

You know, I don't think I've ever seen a TV show calendar I've been entirely happy with. It's almost like they have a contest to find the absolute worst publicity still for each character, the one they think least represents the character or that's the least flattering photo of the actor. That's why I've given up buying them. I could easily do one I'd like better by finding screencaps online and pasting them to a printout of my Outlook calendar. That way I wouldn't have to skip a month when it's a photo that makes me cringe.

On another note, I don't know if this counts as "media," but is there a significant difference in the content between the Blu-Rays and the regular DVDs? No one seems to have the Blu-Ray in stock locally, just the regular DVDs. I finally broke down and bought season one on DVD at Target because I wanted to start catching up on the rewatch this weekend. My player upconverts pretty well, so I don't know that there's a huge difference in picture quality, but I was wondering if there are any super-special features I'm missing so that I should order season 2 from Amazon.

Shanna Marie, I believe the Blu-Rays have more specials on them, yes. If memory serves they have extra deleted scenes (the DVDs have some deleted scenes but the Blu-Rays have more, I think), plus the Blu-Rays have more featurettes.

(edited)

Thanks! It sounds like it might be worth it to order the season 2 Blu-Ray from Best Buy, then. I was already planning to get season 3 on Blu-Ray, just for the finale. I can live with season one on regular DVD.

Or maybe they'll restock with season 2 when season 3 comes out. I just found it odd that no stores in my general area had the Blu-Ray versions.

ETA: Gee, now Best Buy is saying it's in stock in my neighborhood store. But that's for season 2, so they may still not have season one. Well, I know where I'll be heading later today or tomorrow.

Edited by Shanna Marie

Weird that Emma and Captain Hook weren't nominated since they're more "cool".

I just came here to comment on the same thing. Season 1 Snow and Charming, maybe, but... kids are weird. (Or, more likely, I think the entire thing is decided on who is available to actually attend the award ceremony).

Yeah, I'm not sure how those things are decided. The nominations are probably decided between an actor's/show's publicist and the awards show's publicist. It's still possible Emma and Captain Hook will be nominated in the "couples" category (new nominations will come out in a bit), like they were at the People's Choice Award. Spreading the love?

Jennifer is nominated in E! Online's "Best. Ever. TV. Awards 2014" as Best TV Actress. Of course, an actress from the CW is leading that poll, but I think Jennifer could do better.

(edited)

She should keep it when they do Star Wars in Season 6 and Emma impersonates the alien princess.

Hat is too small and humble for that. Don't mind that much the hat per se, but the combination is not good, the hat doesn't fit to the skirt. Besides that in the sun such light-hat offering no shadow at all is absolutely useless. Ever heard of elegant, stylish and still purposeful? The art of milliners.

Not the craziest hat in Ascot. http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/18/a-look-back-at-crazy-and-quirky-hat-fashion-at-royal-ascot-4765907/

Pssstt. Outed myself as hat fan ;) Guess what I would have to visit if coming to Vancouver - The Saucy Milliner. Gracing frequently Tracy Conner Keegan's beauty and characters of Once Upon a Time.

Something about Belle's wedding dress hat: http://thesaucymilliner.com/2014/05/12/a-saucy-belle-once-upon-a-time-season-3-finale-features-my-deco-cloche/

Edited by katusch

Emma and Hook's first kiss and the Jolly Roger fight from the premiere are nominated in the E! Online Best TV Awards. I was sure GOT had the best fight thing in the bag, but apparently something from SVU is winning?! However, the CS kiss is #1 in the kiss category, as it should be ;)

• Love 2

Besides that in the sun such light-hat offering no shadow at all is absolutely useless. Ever heard of elegant, stylish and still purposeful? The art of milliners.

I think Jen is technically wearing a fascinator, not a hat, right?  I think it's purpose is to more more of a super-sized hair-clip than a shade-thrower. 

ITA it doesn't fit the dress at all. But if she felt pretty in it, I guess that's all that counts.  :-)

• Love 2
(edited)

JMo's in People magazine as having a style moment for her Monaco looks. That's good for her. She was due a questionable outfit. Her public appearances are usually great hair/bad outfit or vise versa with an occasional "What the hell was she thinking?" thrown in.

Edited by Stuffy