Type keyword(s) to search

The Storybrooke Daily Mirror: OUaT in the Media, Cons and Other Real Life Encounters

• Start Topic

ABC has a new promo out: Men of ABC

Hook/Colin is the only guy from OuaT featured in the promo. The fandom may proceed reading far too much into this.... now.

Derek was also the only guy from Grey's Anatomy there! Personally, I'm about to freak the f*** out on Shonda Rhimes on Twitter and ask her if she's gonna rename her show "Shepard's Anatomy". This injustice must end!

• Love 2
(edited)

What are the next, upcoming cons where we can see more shipping and spoiler drama unfold besides of course ComicCon? Has someone an overview?

The only one I know of is Jennifer in Oz on July 5-6

http://www.ozcomiccon.com/schedules.aspx

Saturday - Stage 1: Jennifer Morrison Panel

Saturday - Photo Booth 1: 9:30-11:30

Saturday - Autograph Session 12-1 and 3-6

Sunday - Stage 1 - Jennifer Morrison Panel

Sunday - Photo Booth 1 - 4-6

Sunday - Autograph Session - 9:30-11:30 and 2-4

Her dinner is sold out.

Edited by Emma

I definitely agree that there are bad apple shippers in every segment of the fandom, for sure. And I also agree that Once is *terrible* as far as diversity goes, and definitely needs more representation in terms of both queer characters and characters of color. Believe me, if they had the balls to *actually* give Mulan a girlfriend, or introduce two characters who are in a same-sex relationship, I'd be the happiest person in the fandom. And ITA that "they're straight" is not a great reason for not getting them together when the writers control the orientations of all the characters. A far greater obstacle is that, you know, Regina *ruined Emma's life* and keeps trying to kill her and her parents on a not-irregular basis. Those are, IMO, all very legitimate bases for criticism of the show/A&E.

My problem with Swan Queen, however, comes when shippers accuse other people of being homophobic if they *don't* ship it, and basically accuse the entire show of being homophobic, too, because they won't put Swan Queen together. That's...really an unfair accusation that IMO completely devalues real, true instances of actual homophobia and the terrible consequences that it engenders. It literally is the most unconstructive thing to do--all it does is massively put people off the pairing, insult them, and generally cause a lot of drama that there doesn't need to be. (And again, I agree that OUAT definitely needs queer representation--but if the show is homophobic it's because it won't show *any* LGBT characters, not because they won't put Emma and Regina specifically together. If anything, the Mulan/Aurora stuff was WAY more problematic). And frankly, I think it's compounded by the fact that SQ shippers keep going to cons and asking the same questions and getting pissed and causing drama when the answer is no. I just don't think that any of the other fandom groups do that in the same way (maybe I don't go to enough cons?), despite the fact that I agree that there are crazy, terrible fans in all segments of fandom (just look at the hate JMo got for saying "Neal really hurt Emma," which, I don't understand how you can't agree if you actually, like, watch the show).

I also agree that by and large, as far as Emma/Regina is concerned, the show has been very good about not queerbaiting. A lot of the SQ shippers are convinced any subtext is intentional, and that's why they get so mad when they're told no--I actually saw someone on tumblr being mad about what Lana said because "it's hard to be betrayed by someone you trusted," which, what? Pretty sure Lana never signed in blood that Swan Queen was happening--but I don't think the subtext is intentional. Frankly, I really, honestly don't think the writers are smart enough, or good enough, to write that level of subtext! Xena's writers these people are definitely not, you know?

That said, I do think Jennifer Morrison and Lana Parrilla have crazy chemistry, so I get why people ship it. I just think the story the show has constructed for the two of them makes it impossible for me to ever buy that they could be remotely interested in each other in a romantic way.

• Love 4

Hello, all! Just wanted to clarify, this topic is for discussion of cast and crew appearances at cons and other live events. So discussions of what Lana says at this con, or what Jennifer says at that con, etc. are appropriate for this topic.

If you want to have a deeper discussion on the various shipped relationships, however (e.g. Captain Swan, Swan Queen, and so on), those conversations are best take to the Happily Ever After: Relationships are Hard topic. Thanks!

Assuming ABC wants them there, I'm not sure the cast would get much of a choice in attending San Diego Comic Con -- I think ABC would consider it necessary promotional work. It's the smaller cons the actors choose to do (or not) -- those are more about the actor promoting themselves/making money and are organized through their individual agents. 

Assuming ABC wants them there, I'm not sure the cast would get much of a choice in attending San Diego Comic Con -- I think ABC would consider it necessary promotional work. It's the smaller cons the actors choose to do (or not) -- those are more about the actor promoting themselves/making money and are organized through their individual agents. 

Yes, but for example last year Robert Carlyle managed to get out of everything but the actual panel (he's not in the TV Guide photoshoot, EW interviews, etc). And the year before, he wasn't there at all (although I think there was a medical reason?). Anyway, I do hope ABC forces everyone to go - that sounds mean, but it's true!

After looking at the Paris stuff, I think they should ditch the actual show and just film the actors going around to cons.

It would be more entertaining to watch, and the actors seem to have a much better grasp of their characters and stories than the writers do.

• Love 1

Came across this on Yahoo about shows who have younger versions of characters and how they stack up:

Snow White on slide #9

https://tv.yahoo.com/photos/how-do-tv-characters-s-mini-mes-stack-up-1372885779-slideshow/

Snow White, Once Upon a Time
The fairytale series won the lottery with the casting of Bailee Madison. Not only is the plucky child actress a near-carbon copy of Ginnifer Goodwin, but she's also got the acting chops to hold her own against veteran stars.
  • Love 1

Apparently, someone is trying to make a ONCE Con happen for the future.  I just saw the announcement on Twitter yesterday.

I have a feeling that this show is eventually going to be the Star Trek of the new millennium, if you know what I mean.

Cons are big business. Comic Con excluded, because that's supposed to be a no-profit, but the other ones like the one in Paris charge A LOT of money for panels, pics with the actors, autographs, etc. I'm not surprised that more people want to get into the business, since the OUAT fandom is so dedicated.

(edited)

Interesting idea but it would take a lot of work. The Office did it but that was actually put on by the town of Scranton. And now with general cons being so popular why go to a show specific con?

Edited by sharky

More to the point: can you imagine the major DRAMA that would be sure to come out of a Once-specific con? I wouldn't go near that with a ten foot pole!

Just tell the Swan Queen shippers to please leave their weapons of mass destruction at home.

• Love 1

Yes, it was an OUAT specific con. And I just looked at the ticket prices, and the cheapest one was a one day ticket for $135! And that doesn't even include photos or autographs. Con's are big money indeed!

I think it was called the Fairy Tale Con and just had a Once focus this year. I want to say that some of the cast were there in past years with other shows represented as well. Does that sound right?

No, last year's Fairy Tales (which was the first year) was also Once-only. It was just smaller, so it had fewer big names: Eion Bailey, Sarah Bolger, David Anders, and Keegan Connor Tracy went. 

I think the reason they can pull it off over there is that it's basically the only game in town -- people will pay a lot for autographs and photo ops, because they know it is pretty much the one chance they will ever get to meet the actors. And the size of western Europe means hardcore fans could have come in from neighboring countries without significant hassle. Plus I'm sure the free trip to Paris helped convince many of the actors to attend.

I think doing a show-specific con in the US would be really hard for almost any show. It's already hard for smaller cons to compete with the SDCCs and Wizard Worlds for talent and ticket sales as it is -- and those typically cover many fandoms, plus comic books, and often gaming as well. And they make a decent amount of their money from vendors paying for tables -- how many vendors would you get at a con dedicated to just this fandom? 

• Love 1

Not to get too off-topic, but how well a single-focus con would do depends largely on the fandom. Creation Entertainment, which ran the Supernatural con I attended in 2011, does Supernatural cons in various areas of the country and in Vancouver (which isn't much of a stretch, since Supernatural films there). They also run cons for The Vampire Diaries, Star Trek, Stargate, and Xena. These cons are typically much more expensive, but they're also much more intimate. I think there were maybe a couple hundred of us in attendance at the SPN con I went to, compared to the few thousand that attend the Comic Con panels.

(edited)

Regina is the first true Female Woobie I've ever come across and we've all seen how popular Woobies are with fandoms.  I do end up finding her completely fascinating in this way, as female characters who do bad things and blame their tragic backstories are typically met with overwhelming hostility and hate while the male characters doing equally horrible things while blaming their own tragic backstories are given instant sympathy and excuses.  I can only conclude that Regina is cheered and loved because the show has many other females ready to receive the usual hostility that typically comes with the gender.  I would even expect hostility towards Regina to increase should the show ever do a legit job of redeeming her.  Fandom does love Woobies and hates everyone else. 

I would be shocked if Jennifer wasn't at Comic Con in San Diego next month.  The only lead actor of a show that I ever saw skip the Con was Jeffrey Donovan and that's only because it fell right in the middle of the Burn Notice shooting schedule.  They still sent Bruce Campbell which, to be honest, is the one we all wanted to see anyway.  Of course, the Once filming schedule could prevent Jennifer from attending, but I still expect to see her there.

Edited by scarynikki12
  • Love 1

I think ABC knows people want to see Jennifer and will adjust the schedule accordingly. I mean, if only she stays and everyone else goes, what is she gonna film anyway? Emma staring at the wall? Writing Mrs Captain Hook in her notebook alone in her room?

Speaking of Jennifer, it seems like the cast has already received the script for 401, so we could get some hints about it from her next week at Oz Comic Con.

• Love 1
(edited)

I would guess that the actors NOT appearing at Comic-Con will be Jared Gilmore, Ginnifer Goodwin, and Robert Carlyle. Goodwin will obviously skip because of the baby (but I bet Josh Dallas will be there--I can't imagine ABC would be pleased by Snow White AND Prince Charming missing), I don't think Gilmore has ever gone, and Carlyle seems to duck out of as much of the promo stuff as he can these days (although I think I read somewhere that he was in fact at the panel itself last year, but just didn't do anything else?).

But I'd be really surprised if all the other regulars aren't there. SDCC is a really big deal.

Edited by stealinghome

Yes, Carlyle was at the Once panel. He only missed the second panel, the pre-season 2 one, and I think that was because he had a medical emergency. After the panel last year, he didn't do any other Once-related promotional stuff, but he was present at some booth, promoting another project of his. I have no idea which one. I think he has a different contract than the other regulars, (being Robert Carlyle probably gave him some negotiating power) stating that he gets more time off and only has to do the bare necessities of promotional duties.

Wow, outlaw queen was out in force for the once upon a fan awards. Robin/ Regina kiss for best moment of season 3. Really?

Best moment? Not the part where Regina undoes the curse? Not the part where Emma realizes where her home is? Not the part where Rumple sacrifices his life to save everyone? Not the part where four of the main characters pour out their hearts to save Neal from Echo Cave? Hmmm. Side eying those awards hard.

• Love 2

That kiss was a WTF moment and not in a good way, especially how the writers had Regina sidestep apologizing to Snow and then write Snow's response as saying, "Go for it, Girl, you deserve this!".  I was experiencing whiplash from the "I was SUCH a brat" while watching that kiss.

Wow, outlaw queen was out in force for the once upon a fan awards. Robin/ Regina kiss for best moment of season 3. Really?

Best moment? Not the part where Regina undoes the curse? Not the part where Emma realizes where her home is? Not the part where Rumple sacrifices his life to save everyone? Not the part where four of the main characters pour out their hearts to save Neal from Echo Cave? Hmmm. Side eying those awards hard.

Sorry but I have to disagree. Outlaw Queen kiss was awesome. Loved it. I also loved that Regina broke the curse, but they were only allowed to pick one moment and the kiss was so significant to both Regina and her relationship with Robin.

Announcing the award for the Regina/Robin kiss is appropriate in this topic. If you'd like to debate the kiss itself further, please go ahead and take it over to the Regina thread please.

Also, please remember the Previously.TV social contract. If you aren't able to disagree without attacking fellow posters don't post here. And once you've made your point move on, don't keep restating it trying to change other people's opinions. We don't all have to have the same opinion on the characters or the story lines of Once Upon A Time.

Thanks.

That kiss was a WTF moment and not in a good way, especially how the writers had Regina sidestep apologizing to Snow and then write Snow's response as saying, "Go for it, Girl, you deserve this!".  I was experiencing whiplash from the "I was SUCH a brat" while watching that kiss.

Taking my reply to the Snow thread.

I doubt they'll exactly focus on Socha (though he may be there). He may have been a fan favourite in his show, but not many people watched it. I'm sure they'll introduce him for Once's audience, but I fear it's gonna be all Frozen, all the time.

• Love 1

I would guess that Socha will be there...I'm sure the show wants to push him right now. But yes, I think the panel by and large will be "Frozen! Frozen! Have you heard about this little movie called Frozen? Do you wanna build a snowman--I mean, talk about Frozen???"

• Love 2

I have been wondering too what they're going to do about interviews. Last year, Jen and Josh for example went through the major media line in the back room while Colin and MRJ had to talk to the roundtable blogger "media" so who gets interviewed by whom could also be a good indication of what is getting pushed as we closer to the season premiere.

And if any of you are fans of Nerd HQ and Zachary Levi, I'm hoping the show decides to book a conversation there. The questions from the fans there seem more ... Hm .... Not lame compared to the big con's hall. Plus it's streaming on YouTube so much better than the shaky big con videos out there. Fingers crossed that they can unite the Fandrals!

(edited)

I'm pretty sure the interviews are based on who the leads are and who the most famous actors are. If you give the bigger media outlets less famous actors, those interviews aren't going to be splashed top left on their homepage. Jennifer Morrison is a name you can put in a headline. 

As far as Nerd HQ, that's totally separate from Comic Con, and I think generally the kind of thing actors/celebrities volunteer their own time to be on. I agree the quality of the questions tends to be higher, and I always appreciate when funny/smart people appear on it, but I don't think it's high-profile enough that ABC would pursue them; my guess is it's more the other way around.

ETA: Now I think about it, though, it did have some pretty big names last year, so that may have all changed. 

Edited by retrograde

Yea, I think Nerd HQ is starting to hold its own. You're right -- it's more of a side thing and may not be something ABC would do but at the same time, there were several shows who had their entire cast show up last year like Hannibal and Orphan Black so it is an option if ABC publicity has time to add it to the schedule. Maybe they could at least get a few cast members to stick around and do it -- I feel like at least maybe Josh Dallas would be willing to go and drag a few others along.

As for the other interviews, I was thinking about the difference between this roundtable with Colin and MRJ vs. this interview with Jen. I feel like the bigger names get the one-on-one interviews instead of the roundtables pairs just to appease the random bloggers.

As for the other interviews, I was thinking about the difference between this roundtable with Colin and MRJ vs. this interview with Jen. I feel like the bigger names get the one-on-one interviews instead of the roundtables pairs just to appease the random bloggers.

Yeah, I think maybe we're actually saying the same thing. But my point was that, regardless of anything, the bigger names will do the one-on-one interviews with the bigger media outlets, and the smaller names are more likely to talk to the smaller TV fan sites, blogs, and podcasts. So, say, even if Colin O'Donahue has twice the screen time of Josh Dallas in season 4, Dallas is still probably going to do higher-profile interviews. So I'm not sure it will be too indicative of anything show-related.

• Love 1

retrograde -- Ah, I see what you're saying. My point is that I think someone like Colin may get some one-on-one interviews this year, which will be a big sign that once again they are pushing Captain Hook. But I wonder if Michael Socha will get his own interview or be paired with someone. And if they have cast the Frozen characters, will they be interviewed together or separately? It could be a good indication of what ABC and the creators want to push.

Also, I may be getting a bit redundant because I'm on my second glass of wine tonight. What else am I supposed to do during the hiatus? So don't mind me! :)

Interviews at cons interest me since they give a chance for the more minor actors to speak and be interviewed, like the one with Red and Granny at the London Comic Con:

They're fun to watch.

(edited)

I just feel the need to point out that the Jen interview is from 2012 before a million new characters were added so, it's not the best comparison. I mean, even Meghan was interviewed at that same time in that 2012 set. (Lana, Josh, Ginny were also there, basically the adult regulars excluding Robert) In the 2013 roundtable interviews it's more likely that Colin and MRJ got grouped because of all the dumb triangle talk and sheer number of cast members to interview. And I think I've seen gifs from when they were interviewed solo as well. (can't find the actual interviews) 

Edited by snarkastic
  • Love 1

I don't think Josh Dallas is a big name, BUT he's the biggest name of the male actors excluding Robert Carlyle. And as Carlyle is basically opting out of as much press for the show as he can at this point, that pretty much leaves Dallas as the biggest-name dude actor the show can send to most of this stuff. And since gender does, sadly, still matter too much these days, he'd definitely be dispatched to stuff.

(edited)

retrograde -- Ah, I see what you're saying. My point is that I think someone like Colin may get some one-on-one interviews this year, which will be a big sign that once again they are pushing Captain Hook. But I wonder if Michael Socha will get his own interview or be paired with someone. And if they have cast the Frozen characters, will they be interviewed together or separately?

Yeah, it's a two-way street, though. It won't be just the ABC/SDCC publicity person going up to TV Guide and saying. "Hey you interview Colin now!" TV Guide will get to say, "Hey, we want to interview..." And in all likelihood, they're going to push for whoever is the biggest stars (they might push for the Frozen folks if they're around, though, I agree). Or, that is generally my experience at press events, anyway (though admittedly, I've never worked SDCC and I don't do a lot of entertainment industry stuff) -- everyone tells the middleperson/people who they want to speak to, and the bigger/more important outlets get what they want, smaller outfits might get what they want, and everyone else is shuffled through the less famous people (think of that scene in Notting Hill where he has to pretend to care about interviewing the entire movie cast and he's trying desperately to come up with interesting things to ask). 

I don't think Josh Dallas is a big name, BUT he's the biggest name of the male actors excluding Robert Carlyle. And as Carlyle is basically opting out of as much press for the show as he can at this point, that pretty much leaves Dallas as the biggest-name dude actor the show can send to most of this stuff. And since gender does, sadly, still matter too much these days, he'd definitely be dispatched to stuff.

He's also a much more (conventionally) pretty face than Carlyle, which also sadly matters. Not to mention he has a more-famous wife who just gave birth. The tabloid media is all over it, and I bet it comes up at every single interview he does at SDCC.

Edited by retrograde
  • Love 1

I have been wondering too what they're going to do about interviews. Last year, Jen and Josh for example went through the major media line in the back room while Colin and MRJ had to talk to the roundtable blogger "media" so who gets interviewed by whom could also be a good indication of what is getting pushed as we closer to the season premiere.

And if any of you are fans of Nerd HQ and Zachary Levi, I'm hoping the show decides to book a conversation there. The questions from the fans there seem more ... Hm .... Not lame compared to the big con's hall. Plus it's streaming on YouTube so much better than the shaky big con videos out there. Fingers crossed that they can unite the Fandrals!

Jennifer Morrison and Josh Dallas did do round table interviews at Comic COn last year. Example As I recall she skipped out a couple things to go spend some time with Sebastian Stan and stuff (just before they broke up I assume) Colin also did some press alone.

It's just a matter of availability and timing for the most part whether or not the actors do them. Some didn't do as many round tables as the others, it was just the time.

Now if they're interviewed together or apart can be a little more varied but I sometimes honestly think they try and send the shyest actors with someone else whenever they can or if they figure the questions they'll be getting might be quite similar.

The casting news sure is generating buzz. My local ABC affiliate ran a story about Once including Frozen characters during the noon news today. It was just the Elsa clip from the end of the finale, with an anchor voiceover about the Frozen characters coming to the series in the fall.

• Love 1