Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E12: Don't You Forget About Me

• Start Topic

Claire believes recent murders in town are supernatural and asks Sam and Dean to investigate. However, Sheriff Mills tells the guys that Claire has been getting into trouble lately and has been attacking normal people and accusing them of being monsters.

i liked the dinner scene.  Jody should definitely invite the boys over for thanksgiving.  I thought dean was nesting! He had a clean kitchen and made hamburgers. Now we see that they have never had a home cooked meal not even one they made for themselves.  I like this episode and was glad no one died.  

• Love 6

That was a really enjoyable episode.

I loved the dinner, that was a blast.  Great lines with "Oh here we go", and "Oh we're going there."  Sam and Dean should stop by again, I don't think Sheriff Mills, Alex, and Claire would mind.

I like Claire a lot more in this episode.  Don't kill any of the Jody, Alex, and Claire family please, let them all live.  All 3 have already had enough pain.

• Love 4

i liked the dinner scene.  Jody should definitely invite the boys over for thanksgiving.  I thought dean was nesting! He had a clean kitchen and made hamburgers. Now we see that they have never had a home cooked meal not even one they made for themselves.  I like this episode and was glad no one died.  

Dean has been nesting since s8 when he made burgers and got mad when his clean kitchen was trashed.

• Love 1

Loved this episode but i was so worried for Jody...don't do that to me show! The dinner table sex discussion was hilarious. I especially loved the boys' reactions. I also liked Alex in this episode. She's a rather interesting character. I like how she seems to know who she is and why she wants to stay as far away from hunting as possible

Now to the downside...I hate Claire, she annoy the crap out of me... Really wish she would run off to become a hunter and, disappear into offscreenville.

• Love 7

I liked it. Loved seeing Dean and Sam in protective Dad/Uncle mode.  I liked that they didn't have anyone shame Alex for her foray into sex and were just practical about needing to use birth control. That was great.

I liked Alex a lot more this time, but I just don't care for Claire. At least Jody lived!

If that was a backdoor pilot, THAT is how you do it.

• Love 7

I was worried at first Sam was going to turn into a damsel again... although truthfully the way that vampire was wailing on him with that board, it seems ridiculous he didn't have broken bones, but I guess I'll take it.

I, too, loved the dinner conversation, especially Sam's "Oh, we're going there."

I was also glad to see the continuity with Sam talking to Claire - even though she's not my favorite - because for some reason that seems to be Sam's thing throughout the series. Dean generally talks well with the younger kids and Sam talks well with the teens, especially the women ones.

I was definitely worried for Jody. I was also conflicted about the bad guy. with the exception of  Lenore, I generally like my vampires on the show straight up evil. The vampire's backstory was a little heartbreaking, though, especially his poor family - definitely no good deed goes unpunished on this show - so I'm not so sure how I feel about that part. I mean he definitely turned into a monster, but he didn't start out that way.

Dean's donut hamburger thing was truly scary, hee. And I liked how he enjoyed the chicken. I can believe Dean likes to cook burgers and such, but I can see him not bothering to cook a chicken. A baked chicken takes time* - I hardly ever do it myself. Mine usually end up in the crock pot while I go to work - and I can imagine Dean not being the type who'd want to wait that long for one when a burger can be cooked in a fraction of the time, and apparently based on Sam's reaction, Dean's good at cooking burgers.

* They can also dry out easily, in my opinion, if you're not careful. (Also why I prefer the crock pot for chicken).

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 2

Okay, I'm back to nitpick. 

I am kind of bothered about Dean denigrating school like that. I don't like that the show is drawing a correlation that Claire learned her recklessness from Dean.  That bugs me. It's reinforcing an attitude that I don't think Dean really believes about school anymore. Weird. Maybe upon rewatch I'll feel differently. But that didn't set right with me.

I always got the impression in general that the show itself didn't think all that much about school. I've generally thought that the show seemed to value life experience much more than formal education, so I don't think the implication was that Claire got her recklessness from Dean.

And Dean might see more value in formal education now, but I think he was basically implying that it wasn't supposed to be fun, but a means to an end... in other words, hard work. That was my impression anyway.

• Love 11

They've done the unforgivable.  They made an episode with Sheriff Jody Mills boring.  I liked the dinner scene.  The rest of it?  Blah blah blah.  Or should I say yadda yadda yadda?  There was so much talking!  And I truly find Claire whiney and annoying.  The beat down of Sam was ridiculous.  Aren't vampires stronger than humans?  Sure it was the body of a teenager, but the teenager was an athlete and vamped up and whaling on Sam with a BOARD.  Sam should have multiple broken bones.  Plus even with hearing the screaming, I can't believe Sam would be so unaware by his surroundings when he ran in there. 

I hate when the show makes Sam or Dean act like newbies because they can't be bothered to figure out a more realistic way to get the characters where they need them for a scene, if you get what I'm saying.

• Love 2

So, I have some thoughts. 

And they are unhappy thoughts. Dean is a physically fit 37 year old man as far as we know. He isn't even drinking as much as he did before. But I am really starting to wonder about his health right now.

--He was barfing his brains out from the "smiting" sickness

--He couldn't finish digging the hole.

--He complained about being tired walking down the long white hallway lined with lockers and rooms that that looked not unlike the hallways in Heaven.

--Sam talks about surviving monsters but dying from a heart attack from the food Dean eats

--I wonder if Amara kissing him is actually what made him sick and it was not really the smiting sickness at all.

I dunno man...I'm really starting to feel like this is all foreshadowing Dean's actual death (well his third actual death). 

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

"Alex was once a bad, bad girl, so her days as vampire bait come back to haunt her like a Chipotle burrito." made me laugh until my gut hurt! Thank you, I needed that!

Edited by Mick Lady
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I liked parts of it.  On the whole I liked it.  Jodi is still alive even though the show scared me.

I liked Claire the last few minutes of the show, so if they don't go backwards with her, it might be interesting.  I loved Moma Jodi.  I liked Alex.

I see we gave one kill to Dean, made Sam the damsel, but he did sort of rescue himself.  Parts of this one I really liked...

And how do these straight teen girls not think Sam and Dean are hot?

They saw them eat a home-cooked dinner. I must have been possessed by Emily Post since all that lip-smacking and open-mouth chewing turned my stomach, not my head. Sorry, Boys! Good manners are important. *clutches pearls*

• Love 5

Well that was good. I really liked the dinner scene and the way the boys interacted with each woman. I felt really bad for Alex when Henry was trash talking her. A simple beheading was too nice. Poor Jody and that leg. Stop hurting the leg!

Looking forward to the rewatch. Sam and Dean at the dinner table may be one of my favorite comedy moments this year.

• Love 2

That was a really enjoyable episode.

I loved the dinner, that was a blast. Great lines with "Oh here we go", and "Oh we're going there." Sam and Dean should stop by again, I don't think Sheriff Mills, Alex, and Claire would mind.

I like Claire a lot more in this episode. Don't kill any of the Jody, Alex, and Claire family please, let them all live. All 3 have already had enough pain.

I was dying over here at the dinner scene as well. This was a good solid episode with a nice call back to Alex's former life. I like these episodes that basically just have the guys hunting without all the other drama several times a season.

• Love 1

I seriously thought we were seeing a Dean/Cassie flashback at the beginning. That actor looked a lot like the young actor from Bad Boys.

I liked it well enough. It did a good job with the relationships.

OMG! I had the same thought! I was like okay wait, what is happening here.

Okay so more thoughts.

There was a buttload  of symbolism in this episode IMO.

Did y'all notice that the teacher that was hanging from the flagpole was wearing a coat that was the same color as Cas'? /worries

I've already mentioned the hallway looking like Heaven's hallway. Also when Dean was walking down the hallway with the EMF detector "Two roads diverged" I THINK...something diverged for sure was on the wall

Claire was lying there all bloody on the floor. My thought was - I hope she's dead. I knew she wouldn't be, but a person can dream. Claire should go off to hunt with Krissy and her gang of monster fighting teenagers. If she leaves, maybe we'll never see her again. 

I like the dynamic between Jody and Alex. 

Watching Sam and Dean eat was pretty amusing. It was like they hadn't been fed in weeks. 

• Love 3

I'm totally in for the Jody / Claire / Alex show... or "Wayward Daughters", I like that title !

Although it may require Jody to bite the dust to kick it off and that would be a loss !

Dont understand the Claire hatred though, I really like the character and the actress and wish to see more of her !

Edited by Trisan
  • Love 3

I thought Dean's, "Well, Sammy and I probably could have used more of that," response to Jody's feeling like she should be talking about relationships and not just sex with the girls was kinda bittersweet to me. That, coupled with his comments to Claire about school, give me the impression that Dean's continuing to reevaluate his own life experience and maybe wishing things had been different.

I, too, liked Claire much better at the end. If she shows up again, I hope we get that version of her.

• Love 6

I was glad to see that Claire still has the Grumpy Cat that Cas bought her from The Hot Topical. Was sad there was no attempt to get Gas involved in this situation. I mean the boys think he's still just their Cas.

Heh..."Gas". Awesome typo. :)

So there wasn't any mention of Cas in this ep? This ep which involved his pseudo daughter in trouble and calling for help? Well that's a pretty big fail, IMO.

I wondered how TPTB would explain/justify Cas' absence in this ep. Silly me. The answer apparently was: they won't. Sigh.

Edited by NoWillToResist

Claire acted and looked so much more immature than Alex, yet she's in college and Alex is in high school?  I've rewatched it twice, and that hits me every time.  Despite that, I loved the guys' enthusiasm over the home cooked meal, and their discomfort at the birds and bees talk.  Good times.

• Love 2

IA... Claire seemed younger than Alex for this episode.  Up until the very end I thought Alex was more recovered from her PTSD issues and getting on with life.  Now, she's going to hang around long enough to get "straightened out" and then she's going to run away from Jody/Claire to avoid monsters.  I think that's a bit naive.   But I also feel like Claire is still just bouncing off the walls and acts younger.  The Dean/Claire and Sam/Alex parallels were pretty obvious but Claire didn't seem older in dress/attitude/etc...

• Love 2

They did mention Cas. 'Off looking for Amara' and they hadn't heard from him

Ah, thanks. Thought it would be ridiculous for them to not even try to contact Cas! :)

Though I am amused by this tumblr artist's head!canon comic where Claire calls Casifer first...

Edited by NoWillToResist

I'm a foster parent and have had some training on what trauma does to children. While my experience is with younger children, I see Claire and Alex responding in somewhat typical ways to how kids often respond to trauma. Some kids go for the "I'm a good kid; I'm making good grades and choices, please accept me and love me." Other kids go the "Screw you, you're never going to love or accept me anyway, so I'll do what I want" route. Also, kids who have experienced trauma often present much younger than they are because their brains haven't had the opportunity to grow and mature - they're in total survival mode - so it's completely understandable to me that Claire's behavior is immature, even as a late-teen kid.

Of course, those are incredibly BROAD generalizations, but I found the girls' reactions to their life with Jody really interesting from that perspective.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

bethy... YES!  This is precisely the model they were showing. "Model" kid, "Rebellious" kid.  Now if they added the self-harming (food, drugs, etc...) kid and there's a fourth but it's escaping me now.... we'd have a complete set.  Great insight.  And yes, broad generalization but still accurate IMO. 

• Love 3

Thanks, SueB. This is probably a "You know you're watching Supernatural too much" kind of thing, but I so often think of Dean and Sam when I'm learning about trauma and what it does to young brains. Those poor boys. :)

• Love 2

Oh, yeah, Alex and Claire are showing attachment issues out the wazoo. And...well, even in real life, with normal, everyday kids, some high school kids are real mature, and some college kids are still stuck in adolescence.

• Love 2

I laughed out loud* during the dinner scene. The sight of Sammy stuffing food into his mouth to avoid responding to Jody's statements and Dean's "What?"! Oh dear lord, that was hysterical.

But while I was laughing, I also wondered why Dean would avoid responding. He tends to take on the father-figure role a lot of the time...even though his advice might not match our expectations for a traditional father.** Sam's the one who does the heart-felt talks (traditional mother action), while Dean comes on strong. Sam's one-on-one with Claire didn't have much result. But Dean's strong words with her clearly had an effect because he was able to get her to agree to seeing the registrar with Jody -- just by sternly saying her name. 

*a very rare thing for TV watching these days

**he did give Claire a weapon and a book on hunting

ETA: Well, something went wrong...had to delete stuff that shouldn't be there.

Edited by dragonsbite

I thought this was a largely inoffensive filler. Not sure if they are testing out spin-off potential - I think rebellious teen is a good fit for the CW but doesn`t resonate much with the show`s audience here - but it was kinda better than Bloodlines. Maybe because it wasn`t a blatant and failing backdoor Pilot.

Didn`t like the focus on the gross eating. I know it is supposed to be comic relief but such broad slapstick is just not my idea of good comedy. I do not change channels or look away for sex or violence but I do for embarassment squicks. For some reason, I just can`t take those. For example Amaerican Pie genuinely amuses me but there are a couple scenes I can just not watch.

The Winchesters are perfectly capable of eating normally. They always had not been starved for weeks up to that point. So this just felt like Flanderizing to me. It`s like a movie putting a fart joke in because it looks to be the easiest way to be funny. 

Things I liked:

- Alex and Claire giving the boys scornful looks as they ravaged the food, just like they were brothers

- The boys being so damned normal, and regressing to adolescence, over Jody's dinner. The enthusiasm they tackled the dinner with was...um...okay, bear with me here. They don't have many normal, home-cooked, family meals in their memories. While it was funny, it was also poignant to me. They felt safe with Jody and the girls.

- Jody's matter-of-factness about the sex talk, and her emphasis on safe sex. Two things, though: first, while being matter-of-fact about it is good, I do think it might be better one-on-one later on. Second: Alex needed to be hella more embarrassed by "mom" talking sex at the dinner table.

- The boys trying to slide under then table from embarassment at that same sex talk.

- The stark difference between the two girls' responses to theirs traumatic backgrounds.

- Dad!Dean.

- Uncle!Sam.

- Some seriously interesting (to me) cinematic shots that were like foreshadowing...or retrospective. Like that long shot down the very...white...school hallway. Kinda like the halls in Heaven?

- I liked the background on the vampire.

- Long overcoats...ahhhh.

- Claire still having Grumpy Cat.

- Claire's gleeful beheading of bad boyfriend.

• Love 3

I liked it. The characterization/relationships were good. I wish the action had been scarier and more interesting, but I guess you can't have everything!

Alex and Jodi were likeable as always. Claire was pretty likeable, too, imo. She seemed like she was a regular girl "going through something," and was pretty self-aware. For her sake, I was happy that Cas wasn't around. Nobody wants a monster wearing a meatsuit just like their dead father's walking around trying to give them parental advice, lol.

I liked that the show made clear that Sam and Dean have no actual clue what good mothering entails or even really looks like, and were just sort of slack-jawed impressed watching Jodi do her thing -- and all without the episode getting maudlin or making Jodi OOC or taking the focus off Jodi/Alex/Claire's family. The writing for the "domestic"/family dynamics stuff had a lighter touch than I expect from this show, and it worked really well.

Also, I liked the parallels of Alex:Sam and Claire:Dean -- they were handled with a pretty light touch, too, and avoided seeming contrived, or redundant, or silly, or melodramatic because of it (imo). Nice job, writers!

I'm surprised at how squicked people were at the table manners, because I didn't think they were that bad? I laughed at Dean getting a second helping of potatoes out from under Sam. We've seen Dean cook for Sam, so I don't think it's that the Winchesters NEVER eat any home-cooked meals. I think they're just usually on the road and/or not going to take the trouble. Plus, homemade food is different if you don't have to cook it yourself!

I don't think roasting a chicken is a lot of work, but I wonder how much Sam can put away?! Would one chicken even hold both the Winchesters for dinner? When I was single back in college, I'd roast a chicken and then eat from it for at least 3-4 days, and end up having to throw the carcass away with at least a little meat still on it. But then I started dating a guy who was 6'2 and over 200 lbs. I still remember cutting up a whole chicken and frying it for us to have for lunch, thinking that we'd each eat a couple pieces and then have the rest for dinner and then again for a couple meals (as sandwiches or a pot pie or something) the next day. BUT HE ATE THE WHOLE THING FOR LUNCH! THE WHOLE CHICKEN!!! I could make a pot pie and it would be gone after 1-2 meals! If I bought steak, I'd have to buy two separate steaks because he'd eat one all by himself! If I bought fish, he'd insist I cook it ALL that same day! It was amazing. I'm a pretty hearty eater myself, and always try to err on the side of having too much food around, but I'd be worried about cooking for two men the Winchesters' size, js. :P

Edited by rue721
  • Love 5

I didn't care much for it. Claire is annoying. Alex is okay although I didn't like the implication given by vamp boyfriend that she was sullen and friendless until the most popular boy in school took an interest in her and voila, she's a changed girl. I didn't like Jodi playing 2nd fiddle to teen girl issues. Jodi and the brothers are great together. The girls, far less interesting.

• Love 3