Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E14: New Guys, New Lies

With the Rosewood P.D. breathing down Hanna's neck about The Radley security footage, she opts to confess the truth to those closest to her in hopes they can help. Aria continues to search for answers, with help from Emily, on whether Ezra is as guilty as he seems. Spencer works together with Caleb to track down the new threat. Meanwhile, there is awkwardness all around when new love interests emerge and old ones resurface.

Promo:

The Liars sans Aria are still adamant that Ezra killed Charlotte? And Aria is, of course, only unsure because she is in lurve with the guy. The stupidity of these girls knows no bounds, indeed.

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Love 1

Forget the writing or acting, does anyone else hate the way texts show up on the screen all the time. Between the words being slanted and the fact they aren't in little bubbles that are a single color, they are a complete pain in the ass to read, imho.

Edited by superman1204
  • Love 9

Old Man Jenkins! The Creepy Caretaker! 

I was kidding about a big conspiracy where everyone in the whole cast conspired to kill Charlotte, but now I kind of wonder if that was close to the truth? Conspiracy of the parents at least? 

• Love 2

I actually watched the whole episode and barely remember a damn thing that happened. I think I must have blacked out from all that Spoby anvil that hit me on the head, Or I'm just over it. Don't care about the 9 iron. Don't care about who killed Charlotte. don't care to watch Spoby reunite. Don't care about the election. It was nice to see Ashley but damn she's as dumb as her daughter.

But not all was bad. I kind of liked Aria's zebra sweater and textured skirt!

• Love 4

I'm disappointed in you Piper! You felt sympathy for Charlotte?! No way a mom would ever think that about someone who tortured her daughter and especially when said daughter is still having panic attacks!

No more Toby! OMG the dude is probably really nice but the acting is still so painful!

• Love 5

The liars will have to figure out A's demands through riddles of emoji poem texts now as new A stops using words at all. Aria will interpret their meaning to be as Ezria serving as possible. It's a pie it means Emily must kill this witness who saw Ezra!

Ugh, Charlotte is going to have another Night of a Thousand Encounters.  Ezra saw her, then saw Byron talking to her, who will then have seen Eddie Lamb talking to her, who will have seen Mona talking to her, who will have seen the ghost of Wilden talking to her ad infinitum.

I thought A stole the backup video and would use that at a later date to fuck with the girls.  I guess Ashley will stick it in a lasagna box and Latest-A will steal it.

Toby is dating a girl, which blows my Taleb theory out of the water.  Oh well.

Otherwise boring episode.

• Love 1

Well, Toby is certainly good at dating up. I like his girlfriend. First new character I've liked in a while. 

Ugh..Caleb had to have the talk with Toby. Granted, it came off a little as "I've moved on from you.." but you know...still bothered me. Him and Spencer are cute though. Great chemistry. Also, Troian looked awesome in that Red button down and pants. 

Also liking the new blonde for Emily. We can keep her, I like her too? Although Emily might have already blown it. 

I think A's costume has reignited my love for the show. First episode this season I really liked. Although we need to get rid of a few people..(Hanna's boyfriend for one..Shower for two..) 

• Love 3

"Hey mom, so you know that tape that was erased? Well, it didn't incriminate us so I thought I would erase it and damn if the cops don't think we did it now"  Hannah is too stupid to live.

I'm sorry show, but I don't care that Charlotte is dead and I don't care who killed her, and no matter what you do, I will never be sympathetic towards her or view her as a victim. I cannot believe they actually had one of the mothers say they feel bad for Charlotte, do you know how hard it is to make Byron look like the responsible Montgomery parent? But they did it in one scene, bravo, I guess.

I don't know if it's an acting choice by Lucy Hale, but everytime she goes searching to prove someone else is innocent, I always get the feeling she's trying to cover up for herself.

I guess Lorenzo is supposed to be the new Wilden? Whatever.

And how long until Spencer accuses Toby's new girlfriend of murder?

• Love 9

I can't believe the thing that's gonna derail Spaleb is TOBY?! If Hanna seems pretty convincingly moved on, why tf do we care it TOBY has feeeeeelingz about it?! If the end game here is reuniting Spoby and keeping Haleb apart, I'll be pisssssssed. (To clarify - I don't have a strong investment in Spaleb or Haleb, I like 'em both, but Toby was THE WOOOOORST in the past couple seasons.)

[ETA: I hate that I'm a 35 year old woman who just used all those shipper names completely non-ironically.]

Edited by itainttippithebird
  • Love 10

I'm sorry show, but I don't care that Charlotte is dead and I don't care who killed her, and no matter what you do, I will never be sympathetic towards her or view her as a victim. I cannot believe they actually had one of the mothers say they feel bad for Charlotte, do you know how hard it is to make Byron look like the responsible Montgomery parent? But they did it in one scene, bravo, I guess.

Totally agree. I refuse to believe that the mother of a child who was kidnapped and tortured would be so forgiving of the person who did it. And, yeah, it sucked to be Charlotte, but the fact that she went after people who did NOTHING to her makes her a lot less sympathetic to me. Honestly, I am kind of amazed that the whole town, plus the police force arent just like "well, shes dead...ding dong the witch is dead!". Less with the press conferences about bringing her killer to justice. Not that I condone murder or anything, and Charlotte was clearly very unstable, but I feel like, after everything she pulled, she wouldn't be garnering much sympathy from people. Hell, I dont feel that bad for her, and all she ever did to me was be a confusing plot point! 

Not a bad episode, but not that good either. The girls are older, but still keep pulling the dumb shit they did in high school. I do like Tobys new girlfriend. And when Hannah and Caleb spoke at the same time, then awkwardly looked away from each other. With my luck, I am sure she`ll actually be A, who was actually Arias brothers cousins nephews former roommate, come back for revenge.  

• Love 1

Come on, everyone knows that the whole golf club thing is going to be yet another red herring. As is Byron's shadiness.  

When was that flashback of Aria's where her mom admitted to visiting Charlotte supposed to have taken place -- days before the hearing ?  Months or years before the hearing ?

Emily completely deserved to be chewed out by Sabrina about the key to Ezra's loft.

I thought that the big deal about Season 6B is that Sasha Pieterse would be more available since she is over 18 now, but much like Mona she's gone missing for the last 2 episodes.  But quite honestly, I haven't missed her at all -- maybe she should pull a Chuck from 'Happy Days' and just never return, and nobody ever mentions Alison again.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

Well, at least they've started telling people stuff, that's an improvement, but we keep going around with this whole Hanna/Caleb, Caleb/Spencer, Spencer/Toby thing every episode, & I'm getting bored. I don't want an entire season of "who should I have sex with?"

• Love 3

I love that the Rosewood PD is like “it’s personal this time!” Like all the other murders in town were just kind of inconvenient and they weren't really trying to solve them, but now that one of the town’s most notorious criminals, who had evaded the cops for years, has been killed, it’s personal! No one kills the one criminal in this town we actually managed to get in custody (after she turned herself in)! 

Emily looks so over it whenever Aria is talking to her about Ezra. Me too, Em. And how dare Aria force Emily to use her supreme flirting skills for evil. Sabrina's sweet. I felt bad for her when she realized Emily had played her. I did laugh when she told Aria to try some weed and chill the hell out though. 

I know Byron won't actually be the killer because he's been named a suspect too early but he really is creepy. No wonder Aria was drawn to Ezra. 

The Marin women just can't keep themselves from tampering with evidence. 

Forget the writing or acting, does anyone else hate the way texts show up on the screen all the time. Between the words being slanted and the fact they aren't in little bubbles that are a single color, they are a complete pain in the ass to read, imho.

It's been annoying me too. I don't understand why they're slanted like that. Why can't they just appear flat across the screen? It's weird. And I get that it's #fiveyearsforwards but they're seriously overdoing the emojis. When Hanna said the new stalker threatened to blow them up I had no idea what she was talking about till I realized she meant the little bomb emoji. And emojis aren't exactly threatening. It looks like a friend joking around with them. 

I'm disappointed in you Piper! You felt sympathy for Charlotte?! No way a mom would ever think that about someone who tortured her daughter and especially when said daughter is still having panic attacks!

I thought that was a little odd too but maybe Ella's sympathetic because as a mom herself she can't imagine a parent doing what Mr. and Mrs. DiLaurentis did to their child? Honestly they probably just needed a reason to have a flashback of Byron yelling about wanting to kill Charlotte so he could be a proper red herring for a couple of episodes so they had to give him something to respond to.

• Love 6

Aria seems determined to find every possible suspect and put her fingerprints on every possible murder weapon. Ugh Toby/Spencer/Hanna/Caleb awkwardness. Please stop it show. Move on already. Yvonne is probably the new nonsensical Shana sort of A. Emoji A is irritating the crap out of me. Just write words. The scary messages on mirrors and in fortune cookies were way more threatening than a stupid cartoon pig face. And the Scooby Doo style ripping the face off mask at the end was ridiculous.

• Love 4

I like the idea because i often found the texts on the phones hard to read...i always had to make sure i was watching the show sitting close to the set in case an A text came on!  I think that's the idea behind putting the words on screen to make them easier to see/read ...but slanting them defeats that purpose.

• Love 1

I don't know if it's an acting choice by Lucy Hale, but everytime she goes searching to prove someone else is innocent, I always get the feeling she's trying to cover up for herself.

Lucy's got to be aware of all the Aria is A theorists so she probably feels she's gotta give 'em something.

Really, it's one of the essentials of acting on a mystery series where the cast isn't privy to the answer...each actor has to do all their scenes with looks that could be read in different ways and always appear ambiguous ... which goes against the grain on most schools of acting which preach making clear choices.

• Love 1
(edited)

Hahaha, I yelled, "Zoinks!" when Old Man Jenkins ripped off his Scooby Doo villain mask! Please tell me that this is a sign the show is going to be batshit crazy again.

It's a wonder that A doesn't pick on Aria more since it seems she is determined to make things as easy as possible for A to frame her. Why doesn't she just go door to door so she can put her fingerprints on every set of golf clubs in Rosewood?

I kind of love the lawyer that Jordan's family provided for Hanna. Good news, you're not the murderer! Lie to the police because they can't prove you're lying!

After all the ways that Mona, Ezra, and Charlotte spied on the PLLs, I find it ridiculous that they were all like, "Oh, Allison says she's on a dairy farm? Well, then she must not be the one texting us. Obviously she would have to be in Rosewood to push buttons on her phone to send us threatening messages."

I also loved Sabrina telling Aria to consider smoking pot. Man, was Aria being rude. EXCUSE ME, IT'S URGENT!

In fashion news, Aria's zebra sweater did not disappoint. Just the fact that she was wearing a bright yellow sweater with zebras was amazing but add to that the fringe for the zebra manes - classic Aria. Coming in a close second was the short sleeved button down shirt Caleb was wearing for most of the episode. It looked like a can of black paint exploded on him. If only his shirt had debuted after he went to break the Spencer news to Toby, I would have thought that Toby threw a can of paint at him.

Toby can STFU though. First he got mad that his boyfriend Caleb broke up with him. Then he was like, "Sooo Spencer, you're leaving Rosewood soon, right? Because it's totes awkward for me to run into you around town when I'm with the girl who I built a house for and who I'm about to propose to." Seriously, Toby. If you're allowed to move on, so is everyone else. Quit pouting because your ex-girlfriend and your ex-boyfriend are now a couple.

Yvonne is acting like a totally normal person so she must be shady and working for Old Man Jenkins.

I never thought I'd see the day when Byron somehow became the more sympathetic parent, but there you have it. Maybe Ella is one of those super forgiving people who would be asking the judge to release her kid's murderer from prison (whenever I read those stories in real life, I wonder what it's like to be capable of such forgiveness) but I am fully with Byron here. Yes, the Di Laurentis parents sucked. That doesn't justify Charlotte stalking the four PLLs for YEARS and then kidnapping them and torturing them. I don't blame Byron for saying he never wanted Charlotte near Aria ever again.

I love that the Rosewood PD is like “it’s personal this time!” Like all the other murders in town were just kind of inconvenient and they weren't really trying to solve them, but now that one of the town’s most notorious criminals, who had evaded the cops for years, has been killed, it’s personal! No one kills the one criminal in this town we actually managed to get in custody (after she turned herself in)!

Seriously. I realize that, like the police in Sunnydale, the police in Rosewood are deeply stupid, but I just can't with Lorenzo's press conference. "So this 15 year old girl disappeared a few years ago and we kinda looked into it, then someone else accidentally found the body so we spent some time arresting her friends for Possession of a Shovel, but now that we know the identity of the person who was torturing the Shovel Holders and she happens to be dead, we are REALLY going to get off our asses and make an effort!"

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5

The stupidest part of this episode was when someone was in the back of that limo taking pictures of Spencer sitting at the café -- with the windows up, and using a flash, but the flash was so bright from yards away it was nearly blinding Spencer.

That opposition report on Kristine Phillips, Yvonne's mother, was just some made up generic bullshit (put together by someone named Krystle) -- Bachelor of Science, Member of Kappa Alpha, Master's in Business Administration, and J.D. at Georgetown, and gave the commencement speech at Wesleyan before earning her J.D. at Georgetown.    Why would she be giving the commencement address at another university ?

In the Members section, it lists Kristine as being a "Member, Appa Alpha".

The listings in the Miscellaneous section for Kristine Phillips are even stupider:

• Votes on the floor and in committees
  • Committee and floor
  • Public comments at hearings, on the floor, and otherwise
  • Ethics statements
  • Campaign finance report
  • Favorite ice cream is actually sorbet
  • Binges on candy corn while on the campaign trail

Here's the weird part, the first research page on Yvonne lists the exact same degrees as her mother -- Bachelor of Science (apparently she has two Bachelor of Science degrees because it is noted twice), and Master's in Business Administration -- but Yvonne is also apparently a professor at the age of 23, Language Arts (whatever that means), an English Major, a member of the Debate Team, Member of Library History (whatever that means), graduated top of glass Magna Cum Laude ('class' was in fact misspelled as 'glass').  In the details on that page, it repeats a lot of information found on the 2nd page, and in fact describes "Yvonne Phillips is a learned person, esp in the humanity".  She just studied one humanity, really ?

And we get it, she really, really likes libraries.

But if Yvonne was top of her class, wouldn't she be Summa Cum Laude ?

I like how the words on the page of that opposition research report highlighted themselves for Spencer -- is that a new feature of books in the future ?

Did anyone else notice the numerous typos or grammatical errors in the opposition research on Yvonne Phillips ?  For example, they misspelled 'surveillance' as 'sureveillance'. Plus, that one sentence makes it sound like Yvonne is the candidate running for state senate, not her mother.  On the page with Toby's photo attached to it, there were sentences like:

• "Sureveillance Investigation Report"
  • "Following discussions between the inspection of the subject"
  • "The inspection was carried out  by agents named above"
  • "Yvonne Phillips Age 23, Birthdate September 25, Daughter of Kristine Phillips, Graduated top of class Magna Cum Laude with double major, Smith College. Frequents Libraries."
  • "Boy Friend - Rosewood Police Officer Toby Cavanaugh bought an engagement ring at Weiland's Jewellers. Plans to propose at a family lunch."
  • "Yvonne Phillips is a learned person, esp in the humanities Candiate Phillips is a student of merit at an educa"
  • "lishment who receives financial aid, esp from an endowment given for such a purpose, a learned or erudite"
  • "especially one who has profound knowledge of a particular subject. Yvonne Phillips is a, educator, educatio"
  • "technology expert, and, most important."
  • "searcher, and has worked in schoolsas a pr"
  • "and was an active member"
  • "at an educational establishment who receive"

I'm starting to think that Yvonne is NewA -- Dun, dun, dun, dun !!!  Learned/erudite, but had to use financial aid to put herself through college, technology expert.  But this oppo report really seems to be entirely made up.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 4
(edited)

My favorite part is that it's somehow noteworthy that a college student frequented the library. STOP THE PRESSES! I bet page three has exclusive information like "wears shoes" and "has been in a car."

I guess I can accept that someone knows Toby bought a ring if they had someone following him around or tracking his credit card purchases, but how would they know he plans to propose at a family lunch? Obviously whoever put together this report is in league with A or borrowed Ezra's surveillance equipment to get that information. And really, Toby? Lunch? I also love that he is described as a Boy Friend.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 6

My favorite part is that it's somehow noteworthy that a college student frequented the library. STOP THE PRESSES! I bet page three has exclusive information like "wears shoes" and "has been in a car."

I guess I can accept that someone knows Toby bought a ring if they had someone following him around or tracking his credit card purchases, but how would they know he plans to propose at a family lunch? Obviously whoever put together this report is in league with A or borrowed Ezra's surveillance equipment to get that information. And really, Toby? Lunch? I also love that he is described as a Boy Friend.

"This person also has hair on their head" and "eats food sometimes". 

• Love 4

Still can't believe I'm on Byron's side, BYRON, re: Charlotte's death. Wow.

Ya'll are making me LOL with the possible additions of facts on Yvonne and her mother in those opposition reports. Hee! I too paused when we were showed the pages and couldn't believe how many errors and misspellings were present, was wondering if "breathes oxygen" or "has pretty hair" were on there too.

Also glad I wasn't the only person who thought of Old Man Jenkins! Too bad the show didn't go further and have a van in the background or someone walking a Great Dane.

Still not linking Spencer and Caleb while annoys since I like them as individuals. Sigh.

I guess if Yvonne's mother's team is as thorough as Veronica's, then Yvonne probably read the part on Spencer's page that says "sleeping with best friend's ex-boyfriend in a barn" and "drinks coffee." And of course "arrested for being near a shovel." Now that I'm thinking about it, Spencer's must be hilarious (suspected murderer, known liar, drug problem, plagiarizer, institutionalized, hooked up with a creepy milk drinker, likes shopping from other people's carts).

Ha, I hope Toby's page also includes "hates his rapist step-sister" and "good with wood."

• Love 12

I liked that Toby and Caleb talked. They are friends and telling your friend you are dating their ex is at least the respectable thing to do. It's a lot better then blindsiding him when Caleb and Spencer are together.

I am not sure whose side I am on when it comes to Charlotte. She did terrorize the girls for...whatever amount of time it was but her own family dropped her off at OG Radley and never came back when she was a kid. I don't think letting her out was a horrible idea letting her back into Rosewood......

I get what Ella feels but she also didn't seem wary at all about the possible release of Charlotte, she was just like stating things matter of factly and that was odd to me; like "her doctors say she has progressed and could be getting out soon",it was just so.. matter of fact and there. 

• Love 1

Are we supposed to think that Toby didn't propose because hearing that Caleb and Spencer were banging caused him to hesitate due to unresolved feelings (either for Spencer or Caleb)?  I think if could also be because he realized that proposing at a family lunch was a stupid idea.  How about something a little more romantic than in the middle of eating a pasta salad while her parents are probably wittering on about the campaign?

Several dogs that didn't bark: 

1. I expected someone to ask Spencer an uncomfortable question at that forum. 

2. I expected Yvonne to zing her. 

3. I expected Spencer to try to use something from the laughably bad Oppo research to zing Yvonne and have it backfire.

4. I expected EmojA to do something embarrassing at the forum (like the fashion show in season 1). 

Something that would wind up on a viral video like the campaign dude cautioned Spencer about.  None of that happened, which was actually a nice surprise.

I'm emoji-illiterate, so I didn't understand some of the texts (e.g., I didn't notice the bomb icon).  Also, frankly, the show isn't holding my attention enough and I wind up doing other things, like folding laundry or watching a banana ripen, while watching, so it'd be nice for the characters to read the texts aloud so I don't have to watch the screen that constantly.

I love that the Rosewood PD is like “it’s personal this time!” Like all the other murders in town were just kind of inconvenient and they weren't really trying to solve them, but now that one of the town’s most notorious criminals, who had evaded the cops for years, has been killed, it’s personal!

That and the Ella flashback are classic Character Shilling.  The writers are trying to make us care about Charlotte.  It's not going to work.  Even if they reveal that during her incarceration in the mental ward she developed cold fusion and found the cure for cancer, I'll still be glad she's dead.

But if Yvonne was top of her class, wouldn't she be Summa Cum Laude ?

Not necessarily.  At my university, "magna" => 3.75 GPA, "summa" = >3.9 GPA.  If she graduated with a 3.8 but everyone else in her class was 3.7 or lower, she'd be top of the class Magna cum Laude.

Edited by mac123x
  • Love 3

I guess if Yvonne's mother's team is as thorough as Veronica's, then Yvonne probably read the part on Spencer's page that says "sleeping with best friend's ex-boyfriend in a barn" and "drinks coffee." And of course "arrested for being near a shovel." Now that I'm thinking about it, Spencer's must be hilarious (suspected murderer, known liar, drug problem, plagiarizer, institutionalized, hooked up with a creepy milk drinker, likes shopping from other people's carts).

Ha, I hope Toby's page also includes "hates his rapist step-sister" and "good with wood."

This made me laugh and laugh. I wonder if she was calling the consultant back all, "Is this bio on Spencer Hastings for real?" I bet Yvonne was totally engrossed and fascinated by it.

• Love 2

On the one hand, it's a totally annoying, badly done Sherlock ripoff, and I hate it. 

On the other hand, as an old, I appreciate not having to pause the TV and lean toward it every time I have to read a text off their phones... 

That opposition report on Kristine Phillips, Yvonne's mother, was just some made up generic bullshit (put together by someone named Krystle) -- Bachelor of Science, Member of Kappa Alpha, Master's in Business Administration, and J.D. at Georgetown, and gave the commencement speech at Wesleyan before earning her J.D. at Georgetown.    Why would she be giving the commencement address at another university ?

Pretty sure they mean that Kristine gave the commencement speech as the undergraduate speaker / valedictorian at Wesleyan when she graduated with her BS from Wesleyan... except you can't get a BS at Wesleyan... 

Wesleyan University confers only one undergraduate degree, the bachelor of arts.

(http://www.wesleyan.edu/registrar/academic_regulations/degree_requirements.html)

Which is to say -- like everything about that report, her BS is BS. 

Edited by abbottrabbit

Still not linking Spencer and Caleb while annoys since I like them as individuals. Sigh.

I actually like them, but it's pointless because Spencer/Toby are obviously on the way back with Caleb/Hanna probably not far behind.

I actually liked both couples, but I feel like the time jump and the Spencer/Caleb hookup just highlights how the former couples don't fit anymore. It was practically written in neon that Toby/Spencer will reunite and Spencer will end up staying in Rosewood. That's not Spencer. I can't imagine that making her happy even if her life in D.C. isn't that great.

I guess Hanna has been putting off setting a wedding date because of unresolved feelings for Caleb, but I'm not feeling it. She's obviously not going to end up with the fiancé. I can't even remember his name, he's such a nothing. Yet she seems to fit better with him than Caleb at this point.

• Love 5

I found myself liking Jordan last night even though I was trying my best not to like him at all.  He was so take charge and knew just what to do to handle the situation. He was very ready to help Hanna and he was so understanding and supported her 100%.  He's more mature and wants her to move on with her life and do that with him.  I love it that his family loves her; it sounds life she could have a very happy life.

The flip side is that she is clearly not as sure of herself about him as he is with her.  He's a nice guy and deserves a whole hearted commitment from whomever he marries. I don't know if Haleb is a good match any longer even though I really liked them during Season 1.  I definitely felt no chemistry between Caleb and Spencer, though.

Does anyone know if there's been any statement about how long this "Who Killed Charlotte?" mystery is supposed to last? I'm not sure I'm into this until the end of S7. I hope the mystery is wrapped by the end of this season, and next season could focus on something else. I know the show is just sticking to its own formula, but Aria's Hunt for Red Nine Irons really underscores how the show spins its wheels endlessly and constantly uses red herrings. With the new mystery it's just that much more obvious, especially since I am on board with those of you who really could not care less about the answer to the mystery.

And I'd rather have Jenna, Mona, or Alison, or CeCe/Charlotte as the season's Ms. Sketchy, rather than Sara Harvey. It's really no offense to the actress but she's too new a character to the show to hang a big mystery on.  I'm not a huge fan of her acting, but that's not even my main complaint about it.  I guess the others maybe have other projects going on, but any one of them would be better antagonists. Sara is as uninteresting as that swimming team Jenna doppelganger or that girl that Aria killed - Shauna? I don't remember her name for sure and am too lazy to look it up 

I don't know how to use forum tools to quote from a different thread, but last week cuddlingcrowley speculated about S7 being the last and I've got to agree. These actresses should cut the cord and focus on their careers elsewhere.  To me it is pretty clear that the four main leads need to move on to better things.

I know the 4 mains all live in different cities now, but when I think of the potential stories the time jump could have served, all SO much better than what they were given.  Quick half-season mysteries in a couple of different cities, plus maybe one while they are on vacation together could have been a fun way to close out the series without all the Rosewood baggage. I'm not even sure we'd need Alison or an A character, but I guess that's too much to expect that they'd drop those elements entirely. 

Edited by paperdoll
  • Love 2

Okay, this episode was definitely an improvement on the characterizations. It's been a long time since I felt the writers simply allowed the characters to be and the plot didn't overtake everything.

There was also no gross make-up situation! Spencer looked drop dead gorgeous; I want her blouse!! Has my nemesis, the NWP, been defeated?

I really loved the last scene with all the main characters. Yvonne and Spencer were incredibly charming together and the POV jump from them to Emily/Aria/Caleb and Spencer/Toby definitely worked for me. The dialogue was also very on point. Caleb saying he was trying to be a calming influence was probably the best I've ever liked him.

I continue to love Spaleb and I'm not even mad about the writers creating Spoby and Haleb tension. It's clear to me all that's left is loads of familiarity and some left-over possessiveness. I'm fine with the writers playing around with that and I even like it. Awkward exes are always fun to watch but especially with a bunch as classy as this.

Last but not least, the similarities betwen Ezra and Byron the writers sometimes touch upon amuse me to no end and now they might be plotting together!!!

Also: shut up Sabrina!

Overall solid episode! It deserved to be in a better season.

The flip side is that she is clearly not as sure of herself about him as he is with her.  He's a nice guy and deserves a whole hearted commitment from whomever he marries.

I get the feeling Jordan definitely makes Hanna happy but I also felt she was trying to sabotage the wedding when she came clean about erasing the tape. I don't think she's ready to get married. Full stop. Not because of Caleb but because of her. She's totally going to wreck this thing up by sleeping with Lucas. Mark my words!!

I guess my one complain is that I don't buy why these girls would stick around this town. If I had motive to murder someone and the shitty police department already had their sights on me you bet I'd have left town quicker than you can say Aria is Shady. Especially having the wonderful excuse that they all have: lives and jobs established somewhere else. Fuck the police !1

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 3

Ok thus show will annoy the crap out of you if you think about it to hard. It doesn't make a lick of sense and it wasn't thought out well at all. That being said I love it to peices!!!!

It his is soooo going to be the night of a thousand insomniacs. For a town that closes at night (The show even comments on that fact) a lot of people were out damn late during some very suspicious times. Maybe no one sleeps in Rosewood. Makes as much sense as anything else.

I love Mama Marin. And yes she is cheating on wine with Scotch. But who can blame her. Ashley and Wine have been together for a long time and Scotch is sexy letting and new.

The fight between Ella and Byron was interesting because neither was essentially wrong. Charlotte had been abandoned by her own family at a young age and left to rot but she did terrorize the liars for years?

The conversation between Caleb and Toby was interesting as well. What I actually liked was how old fashioned a dude Toby actually is....not in a bad way but in almost a not of this time way.

When Spencer and Yoby's new girl did the "Vote!" Thing i rolled my eyes for a second but then I remembered how out of the target demographic I actually am and the message wasn't aimed at me. Once I realized that I liked the message.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

Wow Aria, not cool clam jamming Emily...  Actually Emily had it pretty bad this episode.  First Hanna is just ever so casually dropping mentions of how awesome private jets are into a conversation with a girl that can't affording to pay for car parking, then Aria clam jams her (twice!), then Spencer drags her to an election campaign.  She can't catch a break lol.  Go back and find that hot Italian chick you banged Emily!

• Love 4

My expectations for PLL are so incredibly low these days and the show still fails to match them. The whole relationship drama is so, so boring. It was as if I had switched to watching Gossip Girl by mistake.

The only character who came off positive in this episode is, weirdly enough, Byron. But that was only because he is clearly a red herring and the writers assumed we would be indignant that he didn't buy "poor" Charlotte's sob story. Well, I guess Toby's new girlfriend is nice (and hot!) too.

Honestly, I am kind of amazed that the whole town, plus the police force arent just like "well, shes dead...ding dong the witch is dead!". Less with the press conferences about bringing her killer to justice. Not that I condone murder or anything, and Charlotte was clearly very unstable, but I feel like, after everything she pulled, she wouldn't be garnering much sympathy from people.

In real life if a police chief came on TV and said "We are doing everything to catch the murderer of [insert the name of a convicted cop killer terrorist]", most of the general public would say "Damn, he managed to say it with a straight face!" or even "Time to have another chief of police". Of course, in real life the terrorist wouldn't be released after mere five years without a huge scandal breaking out...

I bet Byron's secret has to do with some woman he is dating and for some stupid reason he hid that from Aria.

This new A is behaving like a 12 year old. Emojis all over the place - is that supposed to be scary or cool? It's just stupid.

Do people really give a damn about the children of the candidates for the state senate? It's not like Veronica is running for the White House. More importantly, why should we give a damn if Veronica is elected or not? She is in the show for about five minutes every five episodes.

The most surprising thing this season is that Emily still hasn't hooked up with anyone. Though, after the trainwrecks that are all current romances in the show, that's probably a good thing.

What kind of stupid name is The Radley anyway?

Emily is right that we desperately need an Aria off switch.

That and the Ella flashback are classic Character Shilling.  The writers are trying to make us care about Charlotte.  It's not going to work.

Exactly. In a well written show Byron would be allowed to counter with something along the lines of "Then why didn't she punish her parents rather than completely innocent people?" and people would be indignant because of Lorenzo's press conference.

Come on Ashley, your password is your date of birth?! And of course, Caleb had to give Hanna a hint because she is too stupid to even think of commonly used password, that's apparently "hacking" for the PLL writers.

Is it bad that I didn't feel bad for Hanna when she said her boss sometimes literally threw things at her? Let's face it, the way she tends to behave lately, I am amazed she even has a job, she does so many stupid mistakes.

The girls really should have hired that lawyer Jordan found for Hanna before doing anything after Charlotte was released. She would have told them that there was no evidence whatsoever against them, so need to tamper with anything. Well, any idiot could have told them that but good to see a character who is not all "I am going down for sure because the police might suspect me a little".

Personally, I'd rather never see Alison again but narratively her absence is rather silly - she so gung-ho about finding the murderer, was shown to be starting to find her "friends" suspicious, they keep doing stupid things to incriminate themselves while she never calls them or meets them, despite complaining endlessly about Aria leaving just days ago?

I can't believe the thing that's gonna derail Spaleb is TOBY?! If Hanna seems pretty convincingly moved on, why tf do we care it TOBY has feeeeeelingz about it?!

First law of TV romances - nobody ever really moves on from a romantic relationship if there are enough shippers wanting the relationship in question to be revived. So yes, either Toby and Spencer will reunite for the umpteenth time or the possibility will always be there as bone to throw to the shippers.

Ugh..Caleb had to have the talk with Toby.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Love 2
Ugh..Caleb had to have the talk with Toby.

Why is this annoying people?  It was the right thing to do.  Is it because people don't like Toby?  Again why?   I've known situations similar and the right thing to do is give the person at least a heads up especially if you run in the same circles or as in this case live in the same small town.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

Spencer gets a manila folder with a few pages about each of the opposition's family members.  Yvonne got the same on the Hastings, but Spencer's file required two movers and a forklift.

• Love 3