Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions about Music

BizBuzz
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Is this an unpopular opinion?

I think so, yes. There are many, MANY people out there who think he's a musical/hip-hop genius, in spite of whatever craziness/asshole tendencies he may have.

Of course, it could be that the status of his musical talent is a polarizing opinion, which is different from unpopular. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 10/29/2017 at 2:12 PM, kili said:

In 2006, P!nk released her most successful album to date with 126K in opening week sales.

Way late but just saw this comment. P!nk's most successful album to date is M!ssundaztood, which was released in 2001. It sold 13 million albums worldwide and had multiple BB Top 10 hits including the number 1 single, Get This Party Started. That's the album that catapulted her career. Unfortunately, she went through a thing and released the decidedly less well received Try This after and it wasn't until Funhouse that she truly cemented herself again.

Although, it has to be stated that in between Try This and Funhouse, she did release I'm Not Dead, which was well received and had multiple hit songs like Stupid Girls, Who Knew and Dear Mr. President. But yes, Funhouse solidly placed her back at the top. However, M!ssundaztood is still the gold standard of all of P!nk's albums. 

I think so, yes. There are many, MANY people out there who think he's a musical/hip-hop genius, in spite of whatever craziness/asshole tendencies he may have.

Yes, it is a divisive opinion so in that sense I guess it does count as an unpopular opinion. I am one of those who believes Kanye is talented and still stand by my belief that his first few albums were some of the best Hip Hop/Rap albums of all time. I also believe he is clearly a very troubled and lost person. But what's the saying, there's a fine line between genius and madness. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

I think Kanye West is a fantastic producer. I have yet to hear a song of his that doesn't have a catchy beat, even if I don't care about or even hate the lyrics. I just wish he would have stayed behind the soundboard at this point. Yes, early Kanye was fantastic but I'd give that up if I didn't have to deal with hearing about him now. All the songs I like by him could have easily been recorded by other artists and they still would have been hits, IMO.

There's a trailer for a TV show where a guy is singing a slowed down version of Oops I Did It Again and it made me go listen to the original. Y'know, that song is kind of a bop. Like, as an OG Hoe Anthem, it still goes. And ten points if you still remember parts of the choreography. Not that...I do or anything...I'm just uh, just saying...

• Love 5

Trust me: among the women of my generation who were little girls in 2000 when that song came out (I was 11), that is IN NO WAY a UO. 

• Love 1

I was 15/16 and I loved that song, and I still enjoy hearing it when it comes on :). Though nowadays I can't hear it without thinking of this bit from Craig Ferguson's talk show:

• Love 1
On 5/8/2018 at 9:47 PM, Annber03 said:

I was 15/16 and I loved that song, and I still enjoy hearing it when it comes on :). Though nowadays I can't hear it without thinking of this bit from Craig Ferguson's talk show:

I love this!  I'm way too old to be a fan of the song (although I don't dislike it - it's catchy!), but this is one of my many favorite things from Craig's show.  When I saw him at Carnegie Hall, he ended the show with this.  Those 2 guys traveled with him to do one number at the end of the evening.  Amazing! 

• Love 1

I try to keep an open mind about music and I actually enjoy many genres, but, I'm surprised at how much of today's current music sounds like what we used to refer to as "grandpa music."  Growing up, there were some types of music and songs that just seemed so old school, like something my parents or grandparents would like.  Now days, that's popular.  I don't get it. lol  

23 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I try to keep an open mind about music and I actually enjoy many genres, but, I'm surprised at how much of today's current music sounds like what we used to refer to as "grandpa music."  Growing up, there were some types of music and songs that just seemed so old school, like something my parents or grandparents would like.  Now days, that's popular.  I don't get it. lol  

46 minutes ago, 27bored said:

Examples?

I'm curious about this, too. The only one I can think of who MIGHT qualify is Adele. 

Oh, not Adele.  I find her music timeless.  Just love most everything she does, though, some of her songs are kind of old school, when she sings about calling someone on the phone and they aren't home.....hmmm...what year was that song written? lol 

I wish I could recall the exact songs that I am referring to that sound  so old school to me, but, usually, when I hear them, I change the station, because, I don't care for it.  There's one in particular, that I think is about "home." But, I'll have to think about it and see if it will come to mind.

Here are some that come to mind to give you an IDEA of what type I'm talking about.  Please know that I have nothing against the artists and I do LIKE a lot of their other music.  AND some of the lyrics have turned me around on the song, despite the sound of the song. 

They include:  I'm Yours,  Best Day of My Life, Pompei, Hey Brother, Ho Hey, You're Gone Miss Me When I'm Gone, Come Home by 1 Republic and others.

I love Bruno Mars and Ed Sheeran, though, they are old school too, imo, but, not "grandpa like," imo. 

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Oh, not Adele.  I find her music timeless.  Just love most everything she does, though, some of her songs are kind of old school, when she sings about calling someone on the phone and they aren't home.....hmmm...what year was that song written? lol 

I wish I could recall the exact songs that I am referring to that sound  so old school to me, but, usually, when I hear them, I change the station, because, I don't care for it.  There's one in particular, that I think is about "home." But, I'll have to think about it and see if it will come to mind.

Here are some that come to mind to give you an IDEA of what type I'm talking about.  Please know that I have nothing against the artists and I do LIKE a lot of their other music.  AND some of the lyrics have turned me around on the song, despite the sound of the song. 

They include:  I'm Yours,  Best Day of My Life, Pompei, Hey Brother, Ho Hey, You're Gone Miss Me When I'm Gone, Come Home by 1 Republic and others.

I love Bruno Mars and Ed Sheeran, though, they are old school too, imo, but, not "grandpa like," imo. 

This?

Yeah, I did think of that one by Philip Philips, because, I watched American Idol the year he won and did root for him, and I suppose that song does fit in that category, however, the song that I am thinking of is another one that mentions home.  It seems to me that it was by a group and has male and female vocals. Maybe, it'll come to me. 

One thing that I have done is learn to overlook the sound and listen to the lyrics.  Sometimes that makes it worth it.  Also, I've learned that if you listen to a song enough, it can grow on you. lol

• Love 1
9 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Also, I've learned that if you listen to a song enough, it can grow on you. lol

Definitely. There's been many songs I may not have given a second thought or wasn't sure about when I first heard them (or I was too young to really properly appreciate them at the time or something) that I eventually grew to really like. 

• Love 1
(edited)

St. Anger really isn't that bad of an album. In many respects it sounded pretty typical for what was popular in 2003. Actually...I even like the snare drum on a weird level. Lamb of God's album New American Gospel (one of my favorite albums of all time) has a similar drum sound (not on purpose I don't think, but because they couldn't afford expensive production) and that album is beloved by the metal community. The main problem with St. Anger is James "The Table" Hetfield's awkward af "fresh out of rehab 12 Step meeting journal" lyrics. I think the album would have been a lot better received if it just had better lyrics.

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave

I don't get what the big deal is about Weezer's remake of Africa.  It's a serviceable enough version but the original was much, much better.  It's not like either the song or the band is some kind of cultural icon.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I don't get what the big deal is about Weezer's remake of Africa.  It's a serviceable enough version but the original was much, much better.  It's not like either the song or the band is some kind of cultural icon.

I rarely like remakes that are so different from the original that they are almost unrecognizable, but the Weezer version of Africa sounds like the same exact song, but with weaker vocals.  Changing it up a little bit would have been nice. 

• Love 5
On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 3:44 PM, Shannon L. said:

I rarely like remakes that are so different from the original that they are almost unrecognizable, but the Weezer version of Africa sounds like the same exact song, but with weaker vocals.  Changing it up a little bit would have been nice. 

And synthesizers instead of native instruments, as best I could tell.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, UYI said:

"Jet Airliner" is the Steve Miller Band's best hit song.

Fight me. 

For years and years when I was younger I thought he was singing "Big old Jed had a light on." Which would be a vastly different song.

Then it suddenly dawned on me one day. Oh...big ol' jet airliner.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, UYI said:

"Jet Airliner" is the Steve Miller Band's best hit song.

Fight me. 

Wait....you mean there are people who think it's not?

As for Toto:  I never cared much for their music, but really didn't like Africa as a kid.  I've learned to like it more now that I'm older.  I have no explanation for it, though.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

Wait....you mean there are people who think it's not?

I mean, "The Joker" and "Fly Like an Eagle" (which is great, don't get me wrong) and maybe one or two others tend to get more attention, usually.

Also: if you are a classic rock station and don't play these intros at the beginning of both "Fly Like an Eagle" ("Space Intro") and "Jet Airliner" ("Threshold"), like on the original albums, I'm going to side-eye you a bit.

Side eye away because usually when a Steve Miller Band  (and Toto) song comes on, I change the station. I love classic rock though.

Not that I don't find their songs ok, but that is all they are to me: ok.

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, UYI said:

I mean, "The Joker" and "Fly Like an Eagle" (which is great, don't get me wrong) and maybe one or two others tend to get more attention, usually.

I hate "Fly Like an Eagle" and don't care for "The Joker".  For me, it's all about "Jet Airliner" and "Take the Money and Run". 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I hate "Fly Like an Eagle"

I do, too.  A lot.  I don't like any of their songs, but that one I actively hate.

Actually, I like The Joker if I'm in the right mood for it; if I'm not, it bugs me.

• Love 2

I like some Steve Miller tunes, but my UO as far as that goes is, when radio plays "Jet Airliner" (at least where I live), I hate when the line "funky shit going down in the city" gets changed to "funky kicks going down in the city". I get it, the FCC. But the former has always been in the song, so play the damned song as it was meant! Thank God for SiriusXM.

• Love 1

The Lumineers are an awesome band and DO NOT deserve to be solely defined by "Ho Hey"--a song that, while good, pales in comparison to "Big Parade", "Cleopatra", "Ophelia", and, perhaps my favorite song of theirs, "Angela". In fact, Cleopatra is probably a better album overall than their self-titled debut. 

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, UYI said:

The Lumineers are an awesome band and DO NOT deserve to be solely defined by "Ho Hey"--a song that, while good, pales in comparison to "Big Parade", "Cleopatra", "Ophelia", and, perhaps my favorite song of theirs, "Angela". In fact, Cleopatra is probably a better album overall than their self-titled debut. 

"Hey -Ho" is my least favorite song, and the Lumineers are one of my top ten bands of all time. "Cleopatra," "My Eyes," and "Big Parade" are my favorite songs by them.

I don't get why Nickelback is so universally reviled as "the worst band in the world." Like sure, they aren't a band I would willingly listen to, and they aren't GOOD. But there's no way they can be the WORST music ever for one simple reason -- their music is more low pitched so if it's playing in a store or something, it's easy to ignore in the background. The worst music ever would have to be something shrill and grating that is inescapable when it starts playing in a public place (I'm sure you can all think of examples of that). I can think of like 1000 musicians and bands that are way, way worse than Nickelback and also overplayed a lot more often (in fact I don't remember hearing Nickelback or any music from that genre being played in a public place in the past several years).

Plus Nickelback gave us this inexplicably hilarious meme, so their career was worth something at least:

7 hours ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

I don't get why Nickelback is so universally reviled as "the worst band in the world." Like sure, they aren't a band I would willingly listen to, and they aren't GOOD. But there's no way they can be the WORST music ever for one simple reason -- their music is more low pitched so if it's playing in a store or something, it's easy to ignore in the background. The worst music ever would have to be something shrill and grating that is inescapable when it starts playing in a public place (I'm sure you can all think of examples of that). I can think of like 1000 musicians and bands that are way, way worse than Nickelback and also overplayed a lot more often (in fact I don't remember hearing Nickelback or any music from that genre being played in a public place in the past several years).

Plus Nickelback gave us this inexplicably hilarious meme, so their career was worth something at least:

I'll tell you a huge reason why: Because Chad Kroeger's singing voice is ASTONISHINGLY ugly. Just, not nice to listen to at all. 

• Love 5
(edited)
7 hours ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

I don't care about their music one way or another, but I can take your UO one step further:  I love Burn It to the Ground, which I've heard is the song that people hate the most. 

Edited by Shannon L.
9 hours ago, UYI said:

I'll tell you a huge reason why: Because Chad Kroeger's singing voice is ASTONISHINGLY ugly. Just, not nice to listen to at all. 

I agree with you on that (I call it "constipation voice") but I can think of so many popular singers whose voices are so much worse, to me at least (not sure if I should name names LOL).

• Love 1

Yeah, along with the fact I can't get into his voice, their songs just got played to death on the radio when they were big, and their music in general just doesn't really appeal to me.

More power to anyone who likes 'em, though :). 

On 6/9/2018 at 10:31 PM, WritinMan said:

For years and years when I was younger I thought he was singing "Big old Jed had a light on." Which would be a vastly different song.

Then it suddenly dawned on me one day. Oh...big ol' jet airliner.

When I was a kid, I thought that when he got on the 707, he was getting on a flight that left at 7:07.  And when I say "when I was a kid," I mean "until I was about 30."  (707s are a little before my time.)

Someone did a study examining why people hate Nickelback.  Here's some info: http://mentalfloss.com/article/78221/scientific-explanation-why-everyone-hates-nickelback

• Love 2
On 6/13/2018 at 11:49 PM, BuyMoreAndSave said:

Not the worst....that distinction belongs to Creed.

But they're up there.

• Love 7
(edited)

Since I am too old to be part of the teen girl demographic Taylor Swift's early country albums aimed for, I had never actually listened to them until today.  I decided to give them a shot because I liked 1989 well enough, and a few of the songs on Reputation grew on me, so, who knows?  Maybe I would really like Early Taylor.  Hey, anything is possible, right?

Yeah...I didn't.  I thought these albums were awful.  I'd always heard all this stuff about how Early Country Taylor was so much better than Pop Taylor, but I vehemently disagree with that assessment.  Damn near EVERY song was the same; Taylor "burns" an ex with the ferocity of a wounded kitten, or she's singing some bland song about hanging out with a guy at the lake and dancin' in the starlight.  I get that these albums aren't for me, but I expected something with more personality than what I got.  So, my UO of the day is that Country Taylor Swift really, really sucks.  Hard. 

Edited by Sweet Summer Child
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Sweet Summer Child said:

Since I am too old to be part of the teen girl demographic Taylor Swift's early country albums aimed for, I had never actually listened to them until today.  I decided to give them a shot because I liked 1989 well enough, and a few of the songs on Reputation grew on me, so, who knows?  Maybe I would really like Early Taylor.  Hey, anything is possible, right?

Yeah...I didn't.  I thought these albums were awful.  I'd always heard all this stuff about how Early Country Taylor was so much better than Pop Taylor, but I vehemently disagree with that assessment.  Damn near EVERY song was the same; Taylor "burns" an ex with the ferocity of a wounded kitten, or she's singing some bland song about hanging out with a guy at the lake and dancin' in the starlight.  I get that these albums aren't for me, but I expected something with more personality than what I got.  So, my UO of the day is that Country Taylor Swift really, really sucks.  Hard. 

I definitely think Taylor has always had songwriting talent considering she wrote material like "Our Song" when she was just 14, and I like many of her country songs, but I agree with you about the homogeneity of her lyrics and I've never found her relatable at all. Like if you listen to one of her albums from start to finish most of it is songs about romantic relationships with only a couple of songs about other topics. At some point you start thinking, "Don't you have other stuff going on in your life? Don't you have your own separate identity apart from whoever you're dating?" I don't think she's actually the "crazy ex-girlfriend" that the media has painted her as but...honestly I can see why they got that impression. I'm sure she does have other material that she writes because she is not a stupid person, but I think she just doesn't release the majority of those songs because she knows that the general public wants songs about love and heartbreak. I was really expecting her to break the usual mold with Reputation, but even that was an album about her bad reputation and fame mostly through the lens of romantic relationships.

This isn't just a Taylor Swift problem though, it's the majority of pop music. It's all love, sex, heartbreak, and partying. What's weird to me is it seems like my life is the opposite of other people's because my relationship has been the most stable thing in my life and it's all the other aspects of my life that have issues, whereas when one listens to the average pop album you get the impression that romantic relationships are the only notable thing going on in most peoples' lives. I've gotten more into pop music than I used to be but when you sit down and listen to a whole pop album it's like, how many songs can one possibly listen to in a row about the same topics? So I end up going back to the "weird" side of music again. As a Youtube commenter once said, "Ten trillion songs have been written about love, ten trillion songs have been written about war, but only one song has ever been written about coming home to find that your idiot friend has died while house sitting for you."

• Love 1

My favorite Shania Twain song?

Not "Man! I Feel Like a Woman." Not "That Don't Impress Me Much." Not "Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under?" Not "Any Man of Mine." (Although that's probably my number two!)

It's "Honey I'm Home"! That steel guitar lick in the chorus is just KILLER.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I'm embarrassed to admit I kinda like Styx, but I really can't stand their most famous song, "Come Sail Away".

And yet, I really like "Babe" (you have your cheese, I have mine). Yeah, I'm an enigma wrapped in a riddle....

Don't care much for "Come Sail Away" or"Babe", but "Too Much Time On My Hands" is da bomb :-)

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I'm embarrassed to admit I kinda like Styx, but I really can't stand their most famous song, "Come Sail Away".

The best version of "Come Sail Away" ever!  (I also have a soft spot for Styx and I have no idea why other than "the music of my misspent youth" or something)

• Love 1

I need someone to explain to me the obsession every male under 25 has with Drake.

Please.

Because I was forced to listen to his new CD this morning at the gym and I never finished a workout quicker.  He is...TERRIBLE.

His voice could put insomniacs to sleep.  He sings with the same affect in his voice EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.  How is this considered the rapper of a generation?

I wanted to pour bleach in my head by the time it was over.  I don't think I've ever hated someone's music before so intensely.  Jesus....make him stop.

• Love 4