Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions about Music

BizBuzz
  • Start Topic

My alt radio station tends to play Johnny Cash's hurt at 7:30 ish in the morning. I cannot start my day with Johnny Cash's Hurt! NIN's version, maybe, but not Cash's.

Edited by cpcathy
  • Love 3

The only song I've liked Johnny Cash version of best is 16 Tons. For a while, it's been one of my go to song to psych myself "("another one bites the dust" and "we are the champions" were good too, as well as a number of songs from The Doors). Weirdly enough, the version I sang to for the longest time because it's the first one I heard was not his, but that of a relatively unknown  American jazz singer (Anna Domino) who mostly recorded in Europe - I used to joke-growl-sing it, until I heard Johnny Cash, who, if not exactly growly, sings low enough that singing to him I am growly. 

People, fellow posters: do we have a thread for songs that perks you up, you know, Eye of the Tiger, etc.? It may be buried deep in the thread, but I'd love new input for gym workout and work meetings/interviews, you know, the you can do it/you have "one fist of iron and the other of steel" vibe.

Well, I generally try not to let my political opinions affect my musical tastes, and most of the time I haven't a clue what various musical artists' political opinions are.  But when I do hear about them, I admit that I do sometimes reconsider whether to listen to and financially support their music.  When I was a kid, I liked Ted Nugent, but I haven't been able to listen to him for years now due to his very severe opinions and outright rudeness to President Obama.  I have always liked 3 Doors Down, but now I have to think about whether I'll buy any of their CDs again.

• Like 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Hanahope said:

Well, I generally try not to let my political opinions affect my musical tastes, and most of the time I haven't a clue what various musical artists' political opinions are.  But when I do hear about them, I admit that I do sometimes reconsider whether to listen to and financially support their music.  When I was a kid, I liked Ted Nugent, but I haven't been able to listen to him for years now due to his very severe opinions and outright rudeness to President Obama.  I have always liked 3 Doors Down, but now I have to think about whether I'll buy any of their CDs again.

Yep! And I don't try too hard to not let political opinions affect how I view entertainers.

• Love 2
On 1/13/2017 at 0:20 PM, cpcathy said:

My alt radio station tends to play Johnny Cash's hurt at 7:30 ish in the morning. I cannot start my day with Johnny Cash's Hurt! NIN's version, maybe, but not Cash's.

I would rather listen to Johnny Cash dirge the song than Trent Reznor whisper it like he's just come down with laryngitis.

• Love 3

I have to laugh that on the comedy and political shows I watch that have talked about the inauguration, the problems getting music and the ones playing, there's been no mention of 3 Doors Down.  Lots of publicity they're getting.

If I never hear "Hallelujah" again it will be too soon for me.

it's definitely overplayed, like everywhere, all the time. But I recently listened to it again and remain blown away by the lyrics. It's like a poem, and I love hearing it in between songs that mainly just repeat one meaningless line 46 times until the song is over so you really, really remember the name & will buy it on itunes.

• Love 4

I have one:  I'm from New Jersey and I could take or leave Springsteen. I saw him at Giants stadium when I was 18, and that show was great. We got Santa Claus is coming to town, which was fun. But he just doesn't ping my music heart. 

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I have one:  I'm from New Jersey and I could take or leave Springsteen. I saw him at Giants stadium when I was 18, and that show was great. We got Santa Claus is coming to town, which was fun. But he just doesn't ping my music heart. 

Mine either.  He has never done anything for me, musically or otherwise.  Luckily I'm not from Jersey so it's not so bad!!

• Love 2

And I hate Johnny Cash's? cover of Hurt. Hurt isn't even a good song, but he doesn't even sing it. Just singsong it.

I agree. I never understood the overwhelming love for that cover. I think it was more the timing. He did that a few months before his death and a few months after June died. Plus, the lyrics coming out of an elderly, dour old man take on a different tone. But artistically? I wasn't all that moved by it.

I think it's fairly clear he's in the middle of a Britney Spears circa 2007 breakdown and it's kind of sad to see no one do a thing about it.  I keep waiting for the headlines saying he's either killed himself or he's entered some kind of rehab facility.  The only thing that saved Britney was her dad stepping in.

Yeah, I think Bieber is going to be alright. I kinda feel like he hasn't earned a breakdown, yet. And I always felt like Bieber's problem was a combination of trying to be something he isn't mixed with smoking weed mixed with too much money too soon.

Nickelback is like Donald Trump to me...they're popular but I don't understand how since no one I know claims they like them or enjoy their music.

Great analogy! I think Nickelback is popular for a similar reason: they appeal to the people who tend to be disregarded. Between the EDM shit, the trap beats, the AutoTuned vocals, and the vapid hip-hop that comprises most of our popular music, bands like Nickbelback appeal to people because they play what resembles music and sing what resemble songs.

On 1/18/2017 at 9:14 PM, Hanahope said:

I have to laugh that on the comedy and political shows I watch that have talked about the inauguration, the problems getting music and the ones playing, there's been no mention of 3 Doors Down.  Lots of publicity they're getting.

They're the one I was most upset about, because seventh grade me back in 2001-2002 absolutely loved them. 

On 1/21/2017 at 10:55 PM, JTMacc99 said:

I love Springsteen, but I can top this UO:

I'm a bigger John Mellencamp fan. Being born in Indiana, this is sort of important to me. ;)

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, UYI said:

I love Springsteen, but I can top this UO:

I'm a bigger John Mellencamp fan. Being born in Indiana, this is sort of important to me. ;)

I love John Mellencamp and have since I was a kid.  I've like some Bruce songs, but all in all, he's not in my top ten.

16 hours ago, 27bored said:

Nickelback is like Donald Trump to me...they're popular but I don't understand how since no one I know claims they like them or enjoy their music.

Great analogy! I think Nickelback is popular for a similar reason: they appeal to the people who tend to be disregarded. Between the EDM shit, the trap beats, the AutoTuned vocals, and the vapid hip-hop that comprises most of our popular music, bands like Nickbelback appeal to people because they play what resembles music and sing what resemble songs.

I'm not overly familiar with Nickelback, but I can take the UO of loving Burn it to the Ground.  I hear that even their fans weren't crazy about that one because it's just a bunch of cliches strung together.  But, I think 27BORED is right about why people like them. I think that's why I like BITTG.

I am not sure if this is an UO, but I love Bruce but not necessarily for his music. Well, I think he is a phenomenal songwriter and storyteller, and I think his songs are better live rather than recorded. In fact, usually I hate most musicians live versions but not Bruce's.

• Love 1

I'm just gonna say it.....I love One Direction. I'm a sucker for pop music and I genuinely, unironically enjoy their music. And their most recent album without Zayn was great. 

Also so they just seem like fun-loving guys with good heads on their shoulders, in general.

And no...I'm not a teenage girl nor in their demographic.

• Love 3

The appeal of The Beastie Boys and Drake is completely lost on me .  Only thing I like from The Beasties is "Sabotage," and that's only for the video. Their style of rap just isn't appealing to my ears. As for Drake, he just cries all the time and tries to sound like Lil Wayne  (another who doesn't do much for me...he can be funny sometimes , though)

I don't get the appeal of One Dance. I don't hate it, but to me it is such a non-entity of a song. Every time I hear it , I wonder why it was so damn huge. I swear in 5 years time I will hear it and not be transported back to the days when it was huge, like I usually do with songs that were massive around the globe eg I Will Always Love You or Wannabe or I'd Do Anything For Love. But in its defence I do find a lot of #1 songs these days to be entirely forgettable, so maybe I've just become an old grumpy man.

23 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Sorry, Duran Duran fans, but I think "Rio" has it all over "Hungry Like the Wolf". 

I was a huge Duran Duran fan in high school and even then I thought Rio was a better song--but barely.  I loved all of them, including New Moon on Monday and A View to a Kill.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 3
On 2/12/2017 at 3:44 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Sorry, Duran Duran fans, but I think "Rio" has it all over "Hungry Like the Wolf". 

Completely agree about this.

18 hours ago, GaT said:

Neither were as good as "The Reflex"

The longer album version of The Reflex is better than the shorter single version.

• Love 1

Since we are discussing Duran Duran in the unpopular opinions about music thread...

I never got why most of my friends loved Duran Duran back in the 80s.  I did not actively hate them but to me their songs sounded too similar.  There was a period of time when I thought Rio and Hungry Like the Wolf were the same song :D :D :D

Edited by DarkRaichu
  • Love 1

I just realized that's what I don't like about Chrissy Tiegen's face.

As for Bieber, everything I've seen or heard about him indicates that he's a douchebag.  But mainly on top of that, I don't find that the quality of his music is proportionate to his fame.  So he behaves like a spoiled rich kid but he doesn't deserve to be a spoiled rich kid.  If that makes sense.

• Love 1

I like "We Built This City" and do NOT think it deserves to be named one of the worst songs of all time.

I know it must have been strange to see the woman responsible for "Somebody to Love" to sing as song as wildly different as this one, but it makes me happy and so I won't ever apologize for loving it. Calling it one of worst songs ever--or even in the 80's alone--just seems VERY overblown to me. 

• Love 8
On 2/18/2017 at 11:11 PM, janie jones said:

I just realized that's what I don't like about Chrissy Tiegen's face.

As for Bieber, everything I've seen or heard about him indicates that he's a douchebag.  But mainly on top of that, I don't find that the quality of his music is proportionate to his fame.  So he behaves like a spoiled rich kid but he doesn't deserve to be a spoiled rich kid.  If that makes sense.

Yeah, that's a good point. Compare Biebs with someone like Shawn Mendes, who does a lot of simping on record but manages to inhabit his songs because he does seem like a sweet kid, and you realize how overrrated Bieber is. As a matter of fact, I kinda think Mendes can sing better than Bieber. After seeing him work through two of his songs on SNL, his voice has an interesting raw live quality. Boyish but convicted, soulful but unaffected. Meanwhile, Bieber can't make it through many live performances while staying in key. 

Edited by 27bored
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, 27bored said:

Yeah, that's a good point. Compare Biebs with someone like Shawn Mendes, who does a lot of simping on record but manages to inhabit his songs because he does seem like a sweet kid, and you realize how overrrated Bieber is. As a matter of fact, I kinda think Mendes can sing better than Bieber. After seeing him work through two of his songs on SNL, his voice has an interesting raw live quality. Boyish but convicted, soulful but unaffected. Meanwhile, Bieber can't make it through many live performances while staying in key. 

Was it ever a matter for debate that Biebs had any talent?? He is a scrawny, talentless hack that got lucky... and then he turned out to be a thoroughly unpleasant human being on top of all his other faults. Did anyone beside 12 year olds ever like him? Just noticed that this is posted in the wrong place, because surely it is popular opinion that Bieber is an odious little twat.    

Edited by Chinspinner
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Chinspinner said:

haha, well here it goes... 

The only good Beatles tune is... While My Guitar Gently Weeps, written by George Harrison.  

You hit me right where I live.  I don't like many Beatles songs - I mean, they're OK, but I've never been a huge fan nor do I choose to listen to Beatles songs if I have other options.  But that song?  I love it almost more than life itself, and just a tiny bit less than I love my kids.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, MaryPatShelby said:

You hit me right where I live.  I don't like many Beatles songs - I mean, they're OK, but I've never been a huge fan nor do I choose to listen to Beatles songs if I have other options.  But that song?  I love it almost more than life itself, and just a tiny bit less than I love my kids.

Well given that Eric Clapton is a better lead guitarist than any of the Beatles, you might enjoy this: -

• Love 3
On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:36 AM, UYI said:

I like "We Built This City" and do NOT think it deserves to be named one of the worst songs of all time.

I'm with you on that.  It's a harmless little ditty that reminds me of a good time in my life, plus it gave us all an excuse to say "knee deep in the hoopla."

• Love 3
On 1/16/2017 at 6:51 AM, Hanahope said:

Well, I generally try not to let my political opinions affect my musical tastes, and most of the time I haven't a clue what various musical artists' political opinions are.  But when I do hear about them, I admit that I do sometimes reconsider whether to listen to and financially support their music. 

I love country music. I live in a beach city of Southern California. It's already hard enough being a country fan here; I was just crossing my fingers for awhile and continue to lalalalal I can't hear you as needed.

I also like Nickleback, at least their older stuff and I just can't get into the indi-music/band/hipster scene all my friends are in to.

Bowling for Soup said it best
"And you still don't have the right look
And you don't have the right friends
And you still listen to the same shit you did back then
High school never ends"
Oh, yea. I like them too.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I love country music. I live in a beach city of Southern California. It's already hard enough being a country fan here; I was just crossing my fingers for awhile and continue to lalalalal I can't hear you as needed.

Go to Bakersfield! That's where all the California country musicians flocked to. :) 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, UYI said:

Go to Bakersfield! That's where all the California country musicians flocked to. :) 

No, I'm good. Thanks though ;)

True story: The past few years I've really procrastinated on buying tickets for Kenny Chesney. Last year I flew to San Jose to see him pretty last minute and I still managed to buy floor seats for face value. They even had a Groupon going! 

This year, since he's not touring and my heart was breaking decided I'm going to go see him at Gillette. Completely different experience! I ended up with two tickets, not next to each other and am going to cross my fingers one person will move one seat (in the direction of their choice) in exchange for my utter gratitude and a couple beers.

11 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

No, I'm good. Thanks though ;)

I meant more to visit. Ever since I started listening to country more often, I've wanted to visit Bakersfield and see the Buck Owens Crystal Palace. That would sound weird to some people, I guess, but I really want to go there someday and see that, plus the boxcar in Oildale that Merle Haggard was born and raised in.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, UYI said:

I meant more to visit. Ever since I started listening to country more often, I've wanted to visit Bakersfield and see the Buck Owens Crystal Palace. That would sound weird to some people, I guess, but I really want to go there someday and see that, plus the boxcar in Oildale that Merle Haggard was born and raised in.

My boss keeps threatening to send me there, for work. I guess now I have a reason to call his bluff! Thanks!

• Love 1