Type keyword(s) to search

S32: Cydney Gillon

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

I am really trying to figure out her strategy.  Perhaps it will come to light after the merge, but was she really okay with sitting idly by, watching two grown men try and break her female teammate?  Sometimes I think she's being very quiet to stay out of the line of fire, but she makes these weird facial expressions that makes me think more is going on.  When Alecia was voted out, she said, "Good luck, Cydney."  I couldn't decide if Cydney was smirking or smiling.  I am also not a fan of how Cydney picked up right where Jen left off, with taking anything Alecia said and twisting it to make herself look better and Alecia look stupid.  It's not just that Bench and Lurch bullied Alecia, it's that Jen and Cydney seem to be going along with it willingly.  This kind of strategy makes me stabby.  It's an "as long as it's not me" mentality and if this is indeed the case, Cydney can take a seat alongside her moronic tribemates and wonder where it all went so wrong.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 3

It's not just that Bench and Lurch bullied Alecia, it's that Jen and Cydney seem to be going along with it willingly.  This kind of strategy makes me stabby.  It's an "as long as it's not me" mentality and if this is indeed the case, Cydney can take a seat alongside her moronic tribemates and wonder where it all went so wrong.

I hate that shit, too. It makes me sick. It reminds me of that one guy during the awful Gabon season who said during Ponderosa that he knew Marcus and Corinne were nasty people but he was just going along with them anyway because he wanted to be with the cool people or whatever. I hate weak minded sheep like that. 

But as for Cydney I think she a) actually likes those two dicks and b) thought Alecia deserved that kind of treatment. Not only is she a nasty person, she's a terrible player. I want her gone right after the two assholes.

• Love 3

It's not just that Bench and Lurch bullied Alecia, it's that Jen and Cydney seem to be going along with it willingly.  This kind of strategy makes me stabby.  It's an "as long as it's not me" mentality and if this is indeed the case, Cydney can take a seat alongside her moronic tribemates and wonder where it all went so wrong.

Cydney is a big WTF, and not even interesting enough to me to speculate on. I mostly just wanted to say how much I love that you've taken to referring to Scot as "Bench."

• Love 3

Laura, I think Cydney likes the guys, and didn't like Alecia.  But contrary to some of the other posters, I also think Cydney is playing quite well.  She got Alecia to trust her and reveal her most important secret, which Cydney then turned over to her own homeboys and their gain.  Seems to me she's manipulating both sides damn well, without raising anyone's shackles.  Curious to see how she does from here on. 

The fact that Cydney went along with Kyle and Scot in the Jenny ouster makes me think she either actually likes those guys or has no game of her, so she's letting them take the reigns and she's doing whatever they say.  I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt, but I did the same for Scot, and we saw how that went.  I would like to see if she's actually biding her time, or is as bad as those two ogres.

• Love 2

If Cydney/Alecia/Jenny went through with the women's alliance, chances are, Jason would have been voted off instead of Jenny, Scot would have fallen down his NBA Champ pedestal and probably would have been nicer and maybe one of them women could have had the idol instead. And Cydney (and Jenny) could have taken control of the tribe just like how the Beauty women are doing at this point, instead of playing sidekick to Dumb and Dumber.

And probably would have been a much more enjoyable season, at least for me. 

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 2

But Jenn was the one that screwed that alliance. By that point at Tribal they really had no idea who she would have voted for. She ended up voting for Alecia anyway. That move by Jenn still goes down as the most bizarre ever. 

Laura, I think Cydney likes the guys, and didn't like Alecia.  But contrary to some of the other posters, I also think Cydney is playing quite well.  She got Alecia to trust her and reveal her most important secret, which Cydney then turned over to her own homeboys and their gain.  Seems to me she's manipulating both sides damn well, without raising anyone's shackles.  Curious to see how she does from here on. 

I disagree that Cydney is playing well - she screwed over Alecia on the idol only to let it fall into the hands of Kyle.  She's third in her alliance and helped the two people above her gain an advantage.  Alecia would have been loyal to her, they could have continued to work together after a tribal swap.  I don't see giving the idol to Kyle as having helped her game at all.

• Love 4

I disagree that Cydney is playing well - she screwed over Alecia on the idol only to let it fall into the hands of Kyle.  She's third in her alliance and helped the two people above her gain an advantage.  Alecia would have been loyal to her, they could have continued to work together after a tribal swap.  I don't see giving the idol to Kyle as having helped her game at all.

If Cydney really is a great player, she would have made a play for the idol herself and not tell the guys. She really doesn't owe them anything at that point. And she has Alecia in her backpocket. When they lose, she's the one who has an advantage and control of the tribe. The guys will be begging at her feet instead. But right now, she's the third wheel. 

• Love 4

I don't know if Cydney and Alecia would have been loyal to each other.  Maybe if the girls alliance with Jenny was more solid, they could have had a chance.  I am disappointed that, for now, she's gone along with Kyle/Scot, even switching her vote against Darnell when I don't think she wanted to.  But, I'm still waiting to see if she's just gone along with Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum to lure them into a false sense of security, and then we'll actually get to see her game play once she gets away from them.

• Love 1

I think she has played as well as she can, considering the group of people she got stuck with. My impression was that she was on board with the women's alliance and then Jenny changed her mind and then didn't shut up at Tribal Council, thus getting herself voted out. Cydney didn't have much choice; she pretty much had to take cover with Scot and Jason against Alecia. She was smart to vote out Jenny instead of Alecia in that second tribal council (and it's why I think she and Jason were a pair, with Scot and Jenny being the other pair), since it kept Alecia around as an easy vote for the next tribal council.

I think it would have been better for Cydney to force the women's alliance when Jenny was imploding.  Say "Alecia, Jenny, you want to stay, vote for Kyle with me."  Better to be needed than trusted, I always say: maybe she felt she had a better connection with the dudes, but Jenny and Alecia both would have had essentially no choice but to stick with her after that.  Jenny had lost everyone's good regard, and Alecia needed whatever lifeline she could get, plus she seemed to like Cydney (despite Cydney not seeming to like her.)  They needed her.  Cupcake and the Benchwarmer ultimately don't. 

Even if Scot tried to win one of the other girls back over, it would be 3 to 1--and frankly, I think the one he would have tried to win over would be Cydney herself.  Moreover, she would have been well-placed to get that idol--though she didn't know it at the time, she might have guessed that this was likely the case.  Finally, if it made it more likely to lose challenges (debatable, in my opinion--I don't think Cupcake is more of a challenge asset than Jenny was), that's not so bad for Cydney--since Scot would be a threat to her, it's almost better to get rid of him before a swap, and in a three-tribe season, making the merge with a minority can be good for your game, as Malcolm and Denise, and to some extent Spencer and Kass and Tasha found.  And finally, should she make it to the end with Jenny and Alecia, that is a million for Cydney, I think.  We saw what kind of bizarre antics Jenny would have gotten up to when pressured by the jury.  Alecia is more of a threat, she is feisty and weirdly good at sticking up for herself, but I think calm and in control wins juries' votes more than "I overcame so much" type stories.  It would have been a Courtney VS Todd situation I think--a strong showing by the underestimated tiny scrappy girl, but still the self-confident mastermind takes the prize.

Big move?  Too risky?  Too hard too soon?  I don't know, maybe.  I suppose Jenny was crazy enough that she might have voted Cydney if there was blowback from this bold statement at tribal.  But I think a risk worth taking--those dudes panicking might have done plenty of damage to themselves, and being the savior of both Jenny and Alecia might have tied them to Cydney nice and tight, and anyway they needed her more than she needed them.  Anyway, I like big moves, I like bold play, I like people who go big or go home, and I like people who vote out assholes like Cupcake ASAP.  I'd certainly rather be debating the awesomeness of Cydney's big move than who is to blame for people almost dying and what counts as bullying and the sort of unpleasant topics this week gave us.

Edited by KimberStormer
  • Love 8
Better to be needed than trusted, I always say

KimberStormer, I think you got it right, right there, and that's where many, many contestants played it wrong (remember that girl who looked nice in the blue collar tribe? who, you ask? well, I don't remember her name, but that's exactly the point, she was another one who wanted to be trusted by the tribe that didn't trust her initially, so she put all her energy in gaining their trust rather that playing her game).

Seriously, I think this is brilliant - very, very few people approach the game as people that are needed, when i'm convinced it's actually the key to winning the game :)

• Love 4
(edited)

I have to post in this thread, because, how the hell is it that Cydney has fewer comments than Caleb and the same number as Liz, both of whom have been gone for ages? Joe is on the first page, but Cydney isn’t?

Seriously, though,  this has become my player. Sees through people's shit, dropped Scot and Kyle like a bad habit, and doesn't let anyone play her game for her. If she doesn't win, I hope it's Michele, but I sure would love to see her take this one. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 1

Yeah, it's weird that she got a bunch in the first half of March, but then nothing for the past, what, seven weeks (until you posted)?

Does she speak a foreign language?  Because there was something she said that neither I nor the captioners could make out this week (when she was getting the immunity necklace from Jeff).

It would not surprise me if she did speak a foreign language because the woman is damn intelligent. But, I think she just has a tendency to talk really, really fast and not super clearly. Which is a damn shame because she says the most glorious things. But, I do appreciate the captions they can get!

• Love 2

I get such a kick out of her.  Even though I agree that she is often ill-tempered, sour, and doesn't suffer these fools at all.  That's what I like about her!  She has the best facial expressions and comments.  I'd love to know her in real life.  I'm sure I'm not cool enough (and too old!) to be her friend (though since I'm kind of an Aubry, maybe there's hope), but can you imagine working with her?  I'd be amused all day long.

• Love 2

Her confessionals from the bonus vids are even better than anything they've shown. The one where she's saying how happy she'd be to win because she'd be able to get health insurance and go to the dentist had me rolling. And it was very endearing.

• Love 3
(edited)

The casting did a great job with this woman.  She is so goddam beautiful and such a joy to watch and such a character.

Edited:  And pretty good at the game too!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
(edited)
16 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Cydney's facial expressions are the best this show has ever seen since Eliza Orlins.

I always felt that Eliza's were over the top and kinda made for the camera. Cydney is much more understated, and seems to make them to herself instead of saying something dumb. I agree that they're awesome and fun as hell. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 2
On 5/6/2016 at 7:30 AM, laurakaye said:

Cydney's facial expressions are the best this show has ever seen since Eliza Orlins.

That's like saying Cydney has the best karaoke skills since William Hung.

• Love 2

Disappointed that Cydney, who was far from an invisible fourth place finisher, didn't get any airtime at the reunion.  Yet they can spend 10 minutes with Sia?  This reunion show this year took the cake of being the worst of the worst.  And that's saying something.  I noticed Probst mentioned during the reunion that he hoped she came back.  I also hope she returns one day.  

Also, no matter what happens in the game or what people do, I hate the high school mentality of when people are ignored at Ponderosa.  It usually comes off as being bitter.   

• Love 5

I love Cydney in Ponderosa so much!  She played the game so close to her chest that I didn't feel like I knew her very well, but relaxed at Ponderosa, laughing with Joe, smoothly  ignoring the three  snotty high-school girls  (Scot, Kyle and Julia)  I just want to pay her to be my BFF.  She sounds incredibly smart when she talks about college, endowments, and so on.  On a shallow note, she looked like a Vogue model at the reunion.

• Love 6

Season 35: Cydney and Caleb come back, are made captains, and they do a school-yard pick for teams.  No collars, no worlds, no themes...like the season when Stephenie and Bobby Jon returned.  That's what I want to see happen.

Are you listening, Burnett?

• Love 4

I was disappointed that Cydney's mom got more air time at the reunion than she did.   I want to know more about her and her body building parents.  We or Own, or something needs to give them a show.

• Love 4

I love Cydney. I stopped watching the reunion after the announcement. If it couldn't be Cydney, I was thrilled that it was Michele, but I didn’t want to listen to Scot or Kyle. Sad to hear Cydney didn’t get to say much. 

• Love 1

I'm very intrigued by Cydney, she started the season as a cipher to me, then I loved, loved, loved her convos with Aubry and was wondering about her growing link to Michele. Gees, editors, couldn't you have shown more of her thinking there? Or is it because it would have telegraphed the outcome?

Also, she had the best facial expressions E-V-E-R!   

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, azshadowwalker said:

Michele talks about her relationship with Cydney in some of her interviews. It was much deeper than they let on. They should have shown that. 

I agree with this.  They made it seem like Cydney and Aubry were the ones with the unbreakable bond.  I loved them as a duo!

• Love 2

They don't show relationships that mean anything on the show. Jon was caught off guard by Missy's vote because the two had a tight relationship that we were never shown. Both Jon and Missy (the season the Twinnie won) were surprised that the show failed to illustrate how close they were because it would have made his blindside that much more powerful. So I am not surprised that the show did not focus on Cydney and Michele's friendship. I am surprised that we did not see more of Aubrey's paranoia because it sounds like it was a major theme out there.

• Love 3

Just lost a lengthy post.  The old system saved as you typed and allowed you to pull it up.  Miss that.

Basically, I didn't care for Cyndey until she lost the fire challenge and in her Ponderosa video.  I didn't like who she was with the Neanderthals, and I thought she contributed to how Alecia was treated.  I also didn't care for how defensive she was and how blinded she was by the need to prove that no one was the boss of her.

I think her strategy to hide her education was a mistake.  Most college educated people aren't rich, and I speak from experience.  I also think she hid her emotions behind a tough girl façade, and I'm sure that added to the stress she experienced.  And playing the game when you're hiding so much of yourself can make you look aloof or even cold.  It would be interesting to hear the rest of the cast's response to learning about Cyndey hiding that fact.  Joe seemed impressed by the whole thing, and it seemed to be something they had in common and possibly a bonding experience.

I'm always interested in casting and editing motivations.  I think Survivor and Big Brother have a history of casting and editing for stereotypes, including the angry black man, and the in your face black woman.  So I wonder if this had any part in how I viewed her as unlikable for most of the season.  She seemed to genuinely bond with Bounty for a while, and his care for her during the crisis of three players down made him very likable for about five minutes.  It actually made me wonder if he was closer to Cydney than Lurch.  It would have helped explain why he turned on her and hated her so deeply.  But that wasn't a story they were interested in.  It was more important to show super secret agent Julia, and her interaction with the mean boys.

• Love 2
(edited)

There's talk about Cydney keeping Michele when Aubry and Tai wanted her gone in the final episode thread. Seeing that Aubry had her two mangoats at the time, and Michele ultimately tried to get Cydney to the final three, sounds like she did the right thing there. In the end, Aubry could have decided to approach the women to oust Tai at final four. The fact that she targeted Cydney instead is all the more reason that Cydney did the right thing. In all likelihood, Aubry would have had two goats at F4, from what Cydney knew. At least, she would have one, and Cydney would be on the outs. With Kyle around, the threat to Cydney was even greater.  It’s not about getting Aubry and Tai to the end. It's about trying to get Cydney to the end. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Just lost a lengthy post.  The old system saved as you typed and allowed you to pull it up.  Miss that.

This is completely off topic but it's funny that you are having this experience because on the old site I lost posts all the time but this new one brings mine back up if I accidentally close them or just don't feel like immediately replying to posts I've quoted. I love it!

Now to be on topic, I really grew to like Cydney after initially pretty much hating her and I wouldn't mind seeing her play again. But considering she didn't even do after show press I think maybe she didn't really enjoy the experience much so I wonder if she'd ever even want to return.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 2

Oh, maybe that's why Probst didn't talk to her at the reunion, because she let it be known she didn't want to?  I wonder then why she had such a positive attitude at Ponderosa?

On 5/19/2016 at 4:20 PM, After7Only said:

I was disappointed that Cydney's mom got more air time at the reunion than she did.   I want to know more about her and her body building parents.  We or Own, or something needs to give them a show.

I had forgotten Cydney's mom was interviewed, and her dad was shown.  Still, I find it bizarre not to talk to the 4th place player at all.