Type keyword(s) to search

S32: Alecia Holden

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Her pet peeves are people who lie (she tells it straight up and expects people to do the same) and negativity (she likes to be surrounded by positive vibes).

Um...does she know what show she's going on?  Lying is, you know, kind of a big part of it.  I'm guessing very early boot, unless she winds up on a tribe(s) that go on winning streaks all the way to the merge.  If her naivety doesn't do her in, telling it "straight up" will.

Edited by LadyChatts

I'm curious about the fact that she's a real estate agent who apparently always "tells it how it is." She claims she most like Kass. My guess is that she's going to be brash and unstrategic.

I loved when they were getting acquainted:

- I'm a professional bodybuilder.

- Shut up! That's awesome!

- I played 11 seasons in the NBA.

- I knew it!!

- I'm a bounty hunter.

- Look out!!

- I'm a contractor.

- So cool! You're in charge of the shelter!

-I'm in real estate.

<crickets>

• Love 3

Shocked (and disappointed) the "mental giant" didn't get the boot.  I mean, she gave a few good laughs but overall I think the Brawns will be sorry keeping her.  However, I wonder if that is the motive: keep an easy boot with no obvious ties to anyone in the tribe.  Scot/Kyle are no doubt going to stick together, and I can't see Jennifer and Cydney aligning with Alecia.

I rewatched this episode tonight and was struck by how often the camera lingered on her looking dim.  You know how they used to show all those slack-jawed shots of Woo?  It was the same with Alecia.  Shot after shot of her just standing there, wide-eyed, looking confused.

• Love 5
LanceM, on 18 Feb 2016 - 12:55 PM, said:

I was personally fond of this exchange:

Alecia "maybe you just have water in your ear?"

Jennifer "No sweetheart my ear is bleeding"

I honestly thought she was imagining things/had water or whatever in her ear, myself.  How could Alecia know?  I don't think this was a ridiculous suggestion.

• Love 1

I don't know if it is the people around her becoming more unlikable or if she just had a good episode, but Alecia rose for me this week.  She got lucky that Jenny went off the deep end.  I still expected Alecia to get the boot; that Kyle/Scot/Cydney would keep Jenny but hold it over her head for the rest of the game that she owed them.  So she dodged another bullet.  At first, during TC, I thought she was stupid for sitting there and not trying to throw Jenny under the bus.  But Jenny did a good enough job herself, so Alecia played it right.  And she was right that she did nothing in that challenge that cost them.  Also, props to her for sticking with the fire.  The more the neanderthals harp on her, the more I like her and hope she outlasts them.

Still, she better hope that either Brawn wins the next IC, she finds the idol, or there's a swap, because I think she'll be following Jenny and Darnell to Loser Lodge otherwise.

• Love 1

I wonder if Alecia is going to be a new Baylor-type, always on the chopping block, somehow always not going down.  I wouldn't mind.  (I say Baylor, not Abi, because Abi was always kind of the destructive agent of the people targeting her, the whirlwind they reaped; Baylor was just sort of the weird lucky recipient of mysterious forces in her favor.  I prefer an Abi or a Sugar, of course, but a Baylor is kind of interesting in its own way.)

• Love 4

She's my new fave tbh. Women who are treated like shit for no reason are my go-to on Survivor. (And Big Brother. And every reality show.)

I really hope there's a miracle and she manages to outlast Kyle Jason Whatever and Scot.

I'm with you on this.  Especially when it's guys who themselves are idiots trash-talking a woman for being dumb.

Edited by Special K
  • Love 4

She's my new fave tbh. Women who are treated like shit for no reason are my go-to on Survivor. (And Big Brother. And every reality show.)

I really hope there's a miracle and she manages to outlast Kyle Jason Whatever and Scot.

Me too. I'm rooting for her after all the unwarranted meanness from her tribemates. Sure, she's not that smart, or maybe she's really dumb, but there's a reason why all of them,  not only Alecia, are on the Brawn tribe and not on the Brains tribe. Of course, these meathead Mensa members are too smart to see that.

She maybe a ditz, but she's not a shit-stirrer. She was self-aware enough that she knows she's on the bottom of the tribe and instead of stirring the pot, she decided to make herself useful and start a fire. When they lost the challenge, she went to go look for the only guaranteed safety net she could have. If you ask me, that's a lot more smarts coming from her in the game than all her meathead tribemates combined. 

And why castigate her for looking for an idol? Fatty is not the only who can play the game, she wants to play too. What's so wrong with that?

• Love 3
And why castigate her for looking for an idol? Fatty is not the only who can play the game, she wants to play too. What's so wrong with that?

I think what's-his-name does think he's the only one who can and should be playing the game.  Even if he's had two easy vote offs so far with minimal game play involved.  I'd like to see what he's like with the big boys once the swap/merge happens, if he makes it, but I'm sure he'll sit back like a bear and just expect the game to be played for him.  It probably didn't fathom to him that someone as lowly as Alecia might find the idol before him.  

I agree that I don't see why Alecia has caught the rath from her tribemates.  I didn't like her from her bio and pre-show interviews, but I've grown to like her now.  I hope the swap happens soon and she gets away from Jason.

• Love 1

If the guy doesn't even attempt to call her by her actual name then he's not worth it. Personally, I think Burnett & Probst put her on the Brawn tribe for the conflict and they're getting it. She's on the wrong tribe. Unfortunately, she's coming off as dumb. She might make it far because everyone will underestimate her. Of course, that depends if the Brawn can actually win a challenge. Since, there are 4 people left they could be absorbed with each tribe getting 2. This could help her, if she could get away from the guys. I doubt it since they don't switch up this early. I kind of feel bad for her.

(edited)

I'm glad the brawn tribe won tonight, otherwise it meant Alecia was going to get the boot.  She may not be bright (or observant), but I feel sorry for her being on that tribe of meatheads (and Cydney).  They aren't very nice to her.  Jason may hint that he's going for the dumb girl alliance like his idol Russell Hantz, but I don't think Alecia is that dumb.  In fact, if she goes to the final 3 with him, I'd say that's pretty smart because she will win.  

She didn't play the idol situation very well, but hopefully she makes it to the swap and can turn on them.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

She comes across very well in this secret scene. I like her saying she can either choose to let the other tribe mmebers get to her or she can just ignore it and keep fighting and not give up,

• Love 2

Yeah, I really like her. She seemed to take the whole idol shuffle in good humor. I don't think she can win, the edit seems a little dismissive of her in tone, but I think she will end up being the one to take out Scot or Jason. 

• Love 1

She comes across very well in this secret scene. I like her saying she can either choose to let the other tribe mmebers get to her or she can just ignore it and keep fighting and not give up,

What impressed me was that there was no breaking down into tears in that confessional. It's easy to get emotional when talking about family, and how everyone in her tribe thinks she sucks, and I wouldn't even blame her for it. But it seems she has her head on straight and seems smarter than what people has given her credit for. I really like where she says I may not be able to control everything that happens in this game, but I can control how I can react to it.

• Love 6

Despite her edit, I think she has a good understanding of the game and is stronger than she seems based on editing. She won't win but she might be called back in the future (and then she could win....). There's a special something about her, maybe the disconnect betwewen how others in her tribe see her/how she is and sees herself/how she knew to stay mute when Jenn self-imploded, that makes me think it would not be wise to underestimate her.  

• Love 3

Despite her edit, I think she has a good understanding of the game and is stronger than she seems based on editing. She won't win but she might be called back in the future (and then she could win....). There's a special something about her, maybe the disconnect betwewen how others in her tribe see her/how she is and sees herself/how she knew to stay mute when Jenn self-imploded, that makes me think it would not be wise to underestimate her.  

And I truly hope that the players who most underestimate her become the very same players that she herself has a strong hand in sending home.

That video cemented it - I am really rooting for her to go as far as she can.

• Love 4
(edited)

I can't convey my disgust with people who not only  support these places but can't wait and are so proud.  Hate her.

http://matadornetwork.com/change/7-reasons-think-twice-visiting-thailands-tiger-temple/

http://www.angloitalianfollowus.com/the-terrible-truths-from-thailands-tiger-temples

"I made a bucket list of adventures I wanted to accomplish," she says in her CBS bio. "I went out and did it; bungee jumping in Indonesia, hang gliding in Rio, skydiving, jumped off the stratosphere in Las Vegas, face to face shark diving in Australia, and interacting with uncaged tigers in Thailand."

Since she also  from texas where a veternarians proudly show their shots of cats killed with cross bows, maybe they are friends?  I'm sure they both call themselves animal lovers. 

Edited by marys1000
  • Love 1

She deserved better.  I can see where she was annoying, but she didn't deserve to get bullied by those two ogres on her tribe.  If anything, I think Alecia might have been annoying because of how her tribemates treated her.  The fact that they kept referring to her as Blondie was bad enough, but tonight when they just wanted to stay on the beach?

• Love 5

The worst for me was a couple episodes ago when Kyle accidentally flicked his peeling skin into the boiling drinking water.  Scott pointed out that it happened, and Kyle said Blondie could drink that, then they both laughed.  That might've been the grossest thing I've ever seen on Survivor (and I've seen just about every episode).  Kyle was talking about raising his daughters.  Would he like them being treated like that?

• Love 6

Unfortunately, Alecia's story this season was a reminder that Survivor can be a cruel game and not everybody's guaranteed a cool revenge moment. You can get shit on, shit on, and then voted out by assholes. So long girl, you deserved better. 

• Love 9

I kind of have the same problem that Alecia does, the petite-bubbly type who is actually smart but sometimes my thoughts make sense but my mouth makes word salad. Very sensible types don't quite know how to take me, and sometimes it is a challenge to accurately present myself.

I think they got all 'bitch eating crackers' about her eventually, and she couldn't do anything right.  But girl never shed a tear;  she was strong the entire time and for that I respect her.

I think that guys who talk down to women are lower than low.

Also, I suspect that there are wild cards on all three tribes-Tai for Beauty, Debbie for Brains, and Alecia for Brawn.  The other two appear to be faring a little better, but they're not without their challenges.

• Love 11

But girl never shed a tear;  she was strong the entire time and for that I respect her.

Me too. There's been some backlash against her as in, "Why do people like Alecia? She sucks at challenges/strategy/etc," but she was a resilient chick. I don't ever remember her breaking down to tears (even though she would have been justified). In all her confessionals, she kept her head up and stayed positive about her surroundings and even in her day after video, described her Survivor experience as positive. She didn't quit and go for the instant tribal council even though the writing was absolutely on the wall after the challenge.

I really think what so annoyed Scot and Fuck-face about her was the fact that they couldn't phase her. She took it all and didn't let them beat her down. 

Edited by loki567
  • Love 14

I really think what so annoyed Scot and Fuck-face about her was the fact that they couldn't phase her. She took it all and didn't let them beat her down. 

I think this is it.  The fact that despite all their macho posturing (and their obvious overall superiority) she refused to sublimate herself to them and acted like, you know, a member of their tribe.  One who had the right to be treated as a teammate and had the right to speak up when they abused her.

They wanted her to submit to their awesomeness and their dominance.  And she wouldn't.   She may not be smart or even easy to be around, but her parents raised her right -- stick up for yourself and don't let the assholes get you down.  I'm actually pretty impressed with her attitude and her not giving into bitterness in her exit.

All this is why I kind of hate Cydney, though she is playing a smart stealth game by laying low, and maybe has no other choice.  But she is letting these assholes run the show, even essentially giving Jason the idol!!   I'm hoping that once there is a swap, we can find out what Cydney really thinks of Lurch and Grimace.

• Love 10

Me too. There's been some backlash against her as in, "Why do people like Alecia? She sucks at challenges/strategy/etc," but she was a resilient chick. I don't ever remember her breaking down to tears (even though she would have been justified). In all her confessionals, she kept her head up and stayed positive about her surroundings and even in her day after video, described her Survivor experience as positive. She didn't quit and go for the instant tribal council even though the writing was absolutely on the wall after the challenge.

And just when I thought I couldn't hate on Lurch and Bench any more than I already do...I agree with the fact that they couldn't defeat Alecia and it ticked them off.  What I cannot understand, though, is once they realized this - why not back the hell off?  What purpose did it serve for a big, bad bounty hunter and a professional champion basketball player to try and break a 23-year old girl's spirit?  And they both have daughters of their own??

Perhaps it's because Bounty Hunter isn't so great at his job.  Same with Bench.  And facing a self-assured young woman threatened their fragile egos, so to protect themselves, they had to go after the person they saw as the weakest.  If Jen had stayed, would they have turned on her in Alecia's absence?

Alecia appears to have more strength of character in her little finger than those two jerks combined.  Throw Cydney in there as well for going along with everything.  I don't know if Survivor ever brings back contestants who clearly got the short end of the straw as far as tribemates, but I hope to see Alecia back and placed on a team of non-neanderthals. 

• Love 7

I think that's been a huge part of their hate, she DIDN'T cower like a little girl or break down in tears. How dare she try to stand up for herself against these two men? Doesn't she know her place amongst the men? 

• Love 9

I found Alecia annoying from the start.  She was a handicap in the challenges, who didn't seem to me good at any aspect of the game, including social.

I also thought she was misplaced as a brawn member.  But she didn't really fit on any of the tribes: she was an outlier for this season's theme. 

• Love 1

Alecia appears to have more strength of character in her little finger than those two jerks combined.  Throw Cydney in there as well for going along with everything.  I don't know if Survivor ever brings back contestants who clearly got the short end of the straw as far as tribemates, but I hope to see Alecia back and placed on a team of non-neanderthals. 

I'd like her back solely to piss off Lurch and Bench, with them sitting home and never getting a second another shot.

• Love 2

I found Alecia annoying from the start.  She was a handicap in the challenges, who didn't seem to me good at any aspect of the game, including social.

I also thought she was misplaced as a brawn member.  But she didn't really fit on any of the tribes: she was an outlier for this season's theme. 

I found Alecia a delightful cartoon character at the start. She was like the Lindsay character from the cartoon Total Drama (a spoof of Survivor) come to life. I thought she was hilarious.

Then I got impressed by her will and resolve. She WAS going to get this fire started, dammit! And she DID. She WAS keeping her head high, dammit! Yes, she was. She never became a bundle of mess who asked to be voted off. She WAS the only one looking for an idol and progressing with the clue (why, oh why, did she ever involve non-committal, "hmm, hmm" Cydney!?) She never was the typically cast dumb blond that curls up and asks to be voted off and sent back to her comfort zone. No, she fought it off to the very end. (There's a nice French short story called "La chèvre de Monsieur Seguin", about a young goat who thought she could beat up the odds, and when faced with the Wolf battered and kept battering and only gave up after sunrise - she still died, but she outlasted all the previous much tougher goats who had faced the Wolf before her - well, that's who Alecia reminds me of].

I'm impressed with her fortitude, her confidence, her keep-on-going/keep-going-on attitude (I wish I had it as strongly, to be honest). Sure, she was annoying, aren't we all to varying degrees, and depending who is judging? But even faced with horrible treatment, she kept her head held high and never gave up. Way to go. I'm impressed by her and I'm sure she got a loving upbringing to be so secure in herself, even when the whole (small) universe around her is telling her she sucks. Her parents must be very proud of her.

Being a handicap in challenges hasn't prevented many people to win Survivor. And if her lack of social game was not bowing down to the assholes in her tribe, well so be it. I personally don't think any bowing down would have helped. And at that point, unless she tried to convince people who think she's a nonentity to boot the one who collapsed in the challenge, or to convince the one still recuperating from her collapse and has no time for her that they should stick together, which outlook didn't seem hopeful, she had no other option left.

Thinking back, if she had to share the clue, any of the guys would have been a better bet than Cydney. Forge a chasm between them, get them allied with you, etc. Then again, they ignored her so much, I can see why she never got there.

Lastly, regarding the post above, I think she would have been a perfect Beauty tribe member. So no, I don't agree that she fit no tribe this season. 

• Love 6

OMG since when has Survivor become 'someone was a wittle mween to you so we think you are amazing and wonderful and the greatest survivor ever and hope you win" ?  Nutmeg why don't you give her a job and see how she does.

This is Alecia
She's 24. She supposedly went to college for a year after high school. (quit)
From approximately 19-22
Got a work visa to Australia as a nanny (quit) and did a "little modeling"
Then traveled to Indonesia and Asia where she did fucked up selfish things like pet captive tigers.
Somewhere in there she also went to Brazil and Las Vegas.
In 2014 she became a real estate agent in Texas (she is from Tulsa). (Do you have to take a test in Texas? Just wondering.)
But according to an interview she has also done a little modeling (all I could find is one time a little clothes modeling for a local outfit)
and acting (could find nothing). She was a tequila girl at a promotion.
So she is an unsuccesful wanna be mactor.
Meanwhile she, who has not ever watched Survivor suddenly sees it and has to go on. She applies once and is accepted. Her Dad "just knew she would get on".
Who is her Dad?
He was billed as a boxing promoter but that is only where he started, actually he is a big promoter and and has a big promotions company. Something Survivor gets involved in. All those promotions that Survivor alum are in. Oh and he used to have a TV show in Kansas City. Who do we know from Kansas City?

Holden was Tony Morrison's promoter who was apparently a big boxer.  .
He was also behind the Beck/Palin Bringing Our Country Back Tour
And a Palin is exactly who Alecia reminds me of with that total lack of self awareness about who you really are vs. what you think you are and who you tell everyone (fairly constantly) else you are. Saying it doesn't make it so.

I'm assuming Alecia's Dad has been paying for all her travel, and her training.

According to articles when Alecia got on Survivor

She worked with survivalist personal trainer Craig Blacklock, who taught her how to make fire and how to survive, she said. She also trained with Morrison's son Trey Lippe Morrison to get her in the best possible physical shape.

I don't like Jason and basketball guy but basically the were just rude about someone they didn't like. A lot of the comments about Alecia were in secret scenes, to the camera men or to each other. We don't even know how  much they talked smack about her to her face. Yes basketball guy got mad at her at the end. Because he was busy while she was being an idiot kicking sand around and told her to shut up and back at camp she had to get all in his face about it and not let it go and not let it go. Stupid in Survivor.

She was worse that useless in challenges folks! She couldn't adapt to fit in to her tribe and make alliances! She kicked sand around and told everyone else to harder! She was terrible and irritating and should have gone the absolute first vote.

I think Jeff's favoritism is pretty obvious with his comment and tribal and his tweet. Maybe he didn't know the family personally but there is something up there.

She is a little rich girl with a hugely exaggerated sense of her own wonderful self. Who constantly talks about how strong and amazing she is, how proud of herself she is, when she has done exactly zero in life and in the game.

Edited by marys1000
  • Love 2

Exactly marys your post x100. I feel like all of the pity for Alecia is because she's this little small blond girl and people are almost conditioned to see that type as vulnerable. Alecia was worthless as a Survivor player. Were the guys mean to her? Yes, they certainly were. But I don't considered that as bullying and I feel like the word is getting used way to much in the context of this show. The were horrid to her, rude and disrespectful. Then because Cydney didn't stand up for her she's vilified and cast quite literally as the "bitch" in the little drama. It's ridiculous and to suggest that Alecia be brought back for another season? Based on what exactly? She doesn't deserve another chance to play the game when she showed no ability to do so this time around. If she had been on Beauty instead of Brawn she still would have been worthless. Compare her play in the challenges to that of those girls. Seriously, I don't get people. 

• Love 4

I'm sorry, I don't care about any of that. I don't care on-paper if she's a spoiled brat. I don't care if she's a failed mactor. I don't care about her dad's political background. I don't even care if she's bad at Survivor, because being bad at Survivor does not in some way excuse people to treat you like shit.

I care about how people treated her out there and how she reacted to a tough situation and I was incredibly impressed by her reaction and think it said something about her overall character. 

• Love 17

I'm sorry, I don't care about any of that. I don't care on-paper if she's a spoiled brat. I don't care if she's a failed mactor. I don't care about her dad's political background. I don't even care if she's bad at Survivor, because being bad at Survivor does not in some way excuse people to treat you like shit.

I care about how people treated her out there and how she reacted to a tough situation and I was incredibly impressed by her reaction and think it said something about her overall character. 

+1

• Love 1

I think Jeff's favoritism is pretty obvious with his comment and tribal and his tweet. Maybe he didn't know the family personally but there is something up there.

Jeff's favoritism?! You mean the tribal where he flat-out told her you're going to be voted off tonight?! If Jeff's favoritism went through, I'm sure as an EP he has the strings to pull off an early tribal swap or a no-tribal night. But he didn't.

She is a little rich girl with a hugely exaggerated sense of her own wonderful self.

Exactly the same thing "I'm the best bounty hounter this side of Michigan" Fatty and "I'm a former NBA Champ, I have a ring and you don't" Lurch are. Well, for Fatty, I guess except the rich part.

• Love 2

Those guys did do better than she did in challenges.  And at least he made it into the NBA and at least Kyle did make it through boot camp and out the other side with an honorable.  They also were able to make alliances and vote out poor players, ie. Alecia.  Just cause you think she's cute and got bullied doesn't mean she is what she says she is.  As for Jeff at tribal he was all sorry she was going

I'm not an apologist for Alecia's existence.  I just think that her sins or failures in Survivor (or in life, as detailed above), or the contributions she's making or not making to society don't warrant the way she was shown to be treated on Survivor. 

• Love 2

I think we all know that the edit never tells the whole story of what goes on out there and we do know they edit people negatively and positively depending on the story they want to tell.  This of course doesn't mean that Scot and Jason were pretty mean to her as they clearly were but if either of them are to believed she wasn't actually a saint either.  According to Scot one of the things that set Jason off was that Alecia told him that "he had no idea what it was like to sacrifice". Now I have no idea what the context was that this was said (if it even was said) but if it was I can kind of see how that would piss him off being a guy who served in the military and who has a an autistic daughter that apparently requires a lot of medical attention.  I am curious to see now that Alecia is gone how these two interact with the rest of the cast going forward.

• Love 2

One question - is Jeff given a heads-up on who has idols?  I'm trying to figure out why, after the IC, he pretty much concluded that Alecia was going home to the point of being cool with holding Tribal right then and there...what if she had an idol back at camp?  Is that why he asked Alecia if it was okay with her on the off-chance that she'd want to go back and get it?

A big part of this game is the strategy involved after a loss.  If I recall, Jeff did this once before with Brandon Hantz, but wasn't Brandon in the process of having a nervous breakdown?  Alecia was standing in front of Jeff, giving no indication that she was planning on going down without a fight, yet Jeff had no problem moving right along to TC.  I don't understand his thought process there.  If anyone had been even a little bit on the fence, Jeff proclaiming that Tribal could happen right away wouldn't have given anyone a chance to talk.  No one should ever think that any vote-off is a sure thing, but that seems to be what Jeff thought.  Another weird event in a weird season.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 3

I give Scot credit for making the NBA, even as a marginal/role player - it's not easy to make the NBA, you need more than talent you also need drive and dedication.  However, he knows nothing about Alecia and felt comfortable judging that she hadn't accomplished anything.

As for Kyle making it through boot camp and getting an honorable discharge - a lot of people do that (far more than make the NBA).  I'm not going to give him any special props for doing that.

Nothing either of those guys has accomplished in life justifies treating someone else like dirt.  Alecia was unlikely to be one of my favorite players but she continued to try no matter what - neither Scot nor Kyle put any effort into making a fire.  They didn't do anything on their own to find the idol, they waited until Cydney basically handed them the clue and then got out of the way so they could get it.  And they think Alecia acts entitled?

• Love 3