Type keyword(s) to search

24 in the Media

cheyz

This gives me hope:

http://tvline.com/2014/07/20/bones-season-11-glee-farewell-season/

Following 24‘s successful and recently wrapped revival — which premiered to numbers larger than many of the action-drama’s previous openers — Rice seems to think there’s a good chance we’ll see another edition down the line.

“I loved this year’s season of 24,” he said. “I’ve always been a fan. We haven’t had a specific conversation about it coming back yet, but I’m sure we will in the future. It’s a wonderful franchise. When you look at the show itself, it has many more stories to tell. I think we need to sit down and talk to the creators.”

Terribly sad news about that young and very talented actress.

On a happier note, it sounds like the SDCC 24 panel was pretty cool. Would have loved to be there. Nothing really new re: chances of more of the show in some form or another. Kiefer & Jon Cassar still sound hopeful, though.

Minor spoiler warning I guess: this link has details about the LAD DVD/Blu-Ray release (September 30), including "an intense story extension of Season Nine" that I have to admit I'm pretty excited about, based on which character I've heard it focuses on. Also deleted and extended scenes. Oh and hey, it looks like that "story extension" is only for the Blu-Ray. Sigh.

Ah, now the not-so-fresh Prinze is using unnamed sources to smear Sutherland further:

http://www.tmz.com/2014/07/28/freddie-prinze-jr-kiefer-sutherland-24-drunk/

Keifer Sutherland's drinking history is no secret, but Prinze's attack is so lacking in class and courage.  It must have killed him to see 24 Live Another Day get a favorable response from viewers.   How petty do you have to be to dredge this shit up after 5 years?

• Love 1

Not sure if this is the correct spot to put this, so just delete this and slap me around if it isn't the case.  :)

Mary Lynn Rajskub was on a local talk show (Kap and Haugh) here in the midwest, promoting her standup comic show in Chicago.  Of course, most of the conversation was steered toward "24".  On the show, she revealed that one of the initial scripts had her siding more with the criminal aspect of that hacking group, and then being killed off in the final episode. 

Am glad neither happened.  She didn't say whether or not there would be another "24" -- she hasn't heard either way about that.  But that Keifer seemed to be very happy with that 12 hour format. 

So I guess we shall see.  I really hope there is another one -- make it an even 10 seasons of the show.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass that along.

I don't see a specifically DVD/merchandise related thread, so I'll post this here: first look at the 24: Solitary featurette that's going to be available on the Blu-Ray of 24: LAD (and not the DVD). Spoilers, I suppose. I'm excited to see the rest of it as soon as it's available.

I'm all for it but it's a very difficult balance to achieve. Look at the Jason Bourne-less Bourne film, it was a competent film but something was off, it didn't feel right. I think in order to make the transition better Jack needs to show up, at the beginning and towards the end of the season. But ideally, we would get another season where Jack would do his thing and then get a few consecutive episodes where he's offscreen; rinse and repeat, gradually lessening Jack's presence over 3 seasons or so. He needs to pass the baton to Kate Morgan more explicitly. What I think they'll do, though, is give us a season where Kate and Chloe are hunting Jack's whereabouts, while taking out yet another terrorist/assassination plot. That could still work.

• Love 2

24 reboot -- no Jack Bauer.

Fox orders new 24 pilot, wants diverse actor to star

Producers seeking nonwhite actor to replace Kiefer Sutherland

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/15/24-pilot-new

If the character of Jack Bauer had been a person of color and the producers announced they were seeking a Caucasian to replace him, the outrage would be immeasurable.

Better they should have said, "We're seeking the best actor we can find to star in the reboot."   If that actor turns out to be black or Latino, so be it.   But to announce "person of color" as a starting point seems like a misguided attempt at political correctness which ironically smacks of reverse racism.

Anyway, I won't be watching.   The producers seem to think we watched the show for the plot.    Sorry, guys, but it was always Jack.

• Love 1

24 reboot -- no Jack Bauer.

If the character of Jack Bauer had been a person of color and the producers announced they were seeking a Caucasian to replace him, the outrage would be immeasurable.

Caucasian (and male) is always the default. Sleepy Hollow replaced on of a handful of black actresses as the lead with one of hundreds of white actresses, and, yes, there was an uproar -- deservedly so. And note that their definition of "diverse" means non-white OR female, but not both.

I would watch with anyone who seemed to carry the show.

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 3

Stephen Hopkins - wow!  That's a surprise.  Now we need to make sure Sean Callery is back and if they can get Joseph Hodges too.

Kiefer's brilliant but Jack has been completely spent as a character.  Series 9 didn't do him any favours by killing the third of his great loves, undermining the beauty of his Series 8 exit and sending him to the gulags.  I'm sure all this is misdirection for his inevitable return in episode 6 of this season but there's no reason why the format can't support something different and new.

That said, the 12 episode format doesn't appeal -- despite the traditional mid-season slump, the 24 episode format had a rhythm that 12 episodes just doesn't recreate.

Two bad decisions right from the off: No Jack or Kate and the 12 episode format of a show called '24'. If Kate were to take over from Jack, the 12 episode LAD makes more sense in the long term, just like that movie they made before season 7. Because of those tow bad decisions, I don't see how I'd be interested.

• Love 1

No Kate?  They really blew it.  Part of the excitement of watching the last season was the excitement of watching Kate turn into the one who could plausibly replace Jack.

Better they should have said, "We're seeking the best actor we can find to star in the reboot."   If that actor turns out to be black or Latino, so be it.   But to announce "person of color" as a starting point seems like a misguided attempt at political correctness which ironically smacks of reverse racism.

I agree with this.  I would have happily considered watching a reboot which starred another actor, regardless of who it is.  However, this kind of announcement rubs me the wrong way.

• Love 1

Oh, as a long time fan of the show, I will most likely tune in out of curiousity.  But my expectations are set to low.

I still had better hear something about what happened to Jack and/or Chloe.  Hopefully poor Jack is not still in a Russian holding cell.

My favorite villain will always be Gregory Itzin (President Logan)

Who was last seen shooting himself in the head at the end of Day 8! Not that this would stop the writers.

My favorite villain was Cheng Zhi, who lost his head. Literally.

Hopefully poor Jack is not still in a Russian holding cell.

I too would like some closure on this, with or without an appearance by Kiefer. As long as we don't get a repeat of the start of Day 6, which was very compelling at the time but not worth re-doing IMHO.

I just watched a new episode of 24. It had a battle-scarred veteran going undercover and then revealing himself to go into combat. There were threats and hostage situations and torture and some really gory scenes. There was family drama and a betrayal by a lieutenant. There was a truckload of elite commandos with state of the art gear. There was even a couple of people who were blindfolded and driven into the woods to be shown a shocking secret that changed their lives.

I am of course referring to the new series Gordon Ramsay's 24 Hours to Hell and Back. It is bizarre how much it resembled an episode of 24. It even had split screens and the beep boop beep as the clock ticked down. I hope I'm not the only one who noticed this show is 24 set in a random restaurant except instead of a dirty bomb the threat is a dirty walk-in freezer.