Type keyword(s) to search

Reel to Real: Backstage, Twitter, & All Media Dram-ugh

• Start Topic

How about the way he walked out and stood there to acknowledge the applause with that smirk on his face. He is such a diva!

I can give him a pass on that. He is pretty much soap opera royalty at this point. Plus, that studio audience is basically like Oprah's and they go nuts over anyone who shows up. Something seemed kind of off about him to me though.

I have yet to understand why these magazines haven't folded yet.

I still see them in pretty much every grocery store I go in, including two national chains. I suspect they continue to have a big draw in retirement communities and places overseas where US military families live (and shop in base commissaries and exchanges). What I don't get is the letters part. Who would be writing letters? Are they including email as "letters"?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I still see them in pretty much every grocery store I go in, including two national chains. I suspect they continue to have a big draw in retirement communities and places overseas where US military families live (and shop in base commissaries and exchanges). What I don't get is the letters part. Who would be writing letters? Are they including email as "letters"?

Past few years I've lived on the North Shore by Chicago (Kenilworth, Lake Forest etc) which seemed to me to have higher numbers of seniors vs when I lived in Boystown and I don't see the magazines. 

What really made me stop with buying the magazines -which I did weekly from Jr High! And I did passionately- was the shows left became so bad. And more so, the staff stopped caring. I can't name how many times the mag in a recap would call the character the actors name but the rest of the recap use the character names. Or refer to Abby as Summer. Or spell words wrong or incorrectly in their q&a collumn or editorial sections misstate the cause of a characters death or children's names. Fuck that! 

Now if they cared they'd step it up editing wise. And start covering night times soaps w the few remaining daytime. 

• Love 5

The majority of US families living overseas in the military are gonna be younger folks closer to my age, and they are all well versed in social media. In spoilers in these magazines are already a week old by the time they're published.

1 minute ago, Petunia13 said:

What really made me stop with buying the magazines -which I did weekly from Jr High! And I did passionately- was the shows left became so bad. And more so, the staff stopped caring. I can't name how many times the mag in a recap would call the character the actors name but the rest of the recap use the character names. Or refer to Abby as Summer. Or spell words wrong or incorrectly in their q&a collumn or editorial sections misstate the cause of a characters death or children's names. Fuck that! 

Wow, that's sloppy. How hard is it to recheck this stuff before publishing?

• Love 3

Now if they cared they'd step it up editing wise.

There's a new business model developing in journalism where the writing is done offshore in countries where English is spoken but it's still a second language. The people writing the stuff often barely know what they're writing about (they're given minimal outlines and basic details) and the articles typically don't get much editing beyond basic spellcheck. Much of the items that appear in local newspapers comes from these sources instead of local desk reporters (who would expect to be paid more). I could easily imagine these soap magazines are doing something similar with a lot of their content since they know they're putting out a waning product.

About the soap mags, I'm pretty sure I still see them in places like Target and Walgreens but I'll remember to check the next time I'm in those places. It wouldn't surprise me if they mostly have elderly subscribers who've been getting them through regular snail mail for decades. Some magazine subscriptions will auto-renew if they have a credit card number to use. This is probably how AOL is still in business.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

LOL, Gina and Mal both liked this tweet, which links to a fan letter that stated Villy have no chemistry, Victoria sucks, and Philly should get back together. They don't even CARE to hide their feelings at this point. How....respectful...to Amelia......

The EP is a ship stan. This genre is officially a joke.

• Love 8
27 minutes ago, miamama said:

The EP is a ship stan. This genre is officially a joke.

And, TBH, I don't care what Mal prefers. He can like or dislike whatever. But to me this is borderline disrespectful to the work Amelia and JT are trying to do together.

• Love 13
7 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

And, TBH, I don't care what Mal prefers. He can like or dislike whatever. But to me this is borderline disrespectful to the work Amelia and JT are trying to do together.

More than borderline IMO. 

• Love 11

It can be bad when an executive producer and/or head writer stans a couple on their soap. One Tree Hill's biggest problem was that. Most fans preferred Lucas with Brooke and Peyton with Jake; the show runner completely pooed on those couples for his ship. Days of our Lives also had a big problem with this. 

• Love 7
21 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

I sent Philly a cake too.

IMG_0301.JPG.124d3542d248935d6e09045121c82395.JPG

Shit, I'd pitch in some money to send Mal a cake saying "STOP TRYING TO MAKE PHILLY HAPPEN" with a picture of a Philly cheesesteak crossed out in a circle.

Because, just no. I like most of the other changes on this show, but this is seriously dragging the show down. I mean, if Mal wants the his so badly, can we let Jack and Victoria be free and out of their orbits?

Edited by Anna Yolei
  • Love 13
5 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

It can be bad when an executive producer and/or head writer stans a couple on their soap. One Tree Hill's biggest problem was that. Most fans preferred Lucas with Brooke and Peyton with Jake; the show runner completely pooed on those couples for his ship. Days of our Lives also had a big problem with this. 

Damn Lucas and Peyton. 

• Love 2

Damn, I was hoping the 'mysterious anonymous female figure' sexxxay walking at the end of the credits would be gone. Always hated that MS got the 'unofficial' credit for that. True or not, would like to erase any association she had with show.

The rest of it looks fine, I guess. Glad they're not messing with the music.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, BoffoDaWonderSheep said:

According to the article, they were supposed to begin airing Valentine's Day. Maybe it was an alternative fact?

Well, we get the eps a day early here, so I was surprised that the new credits weren't on, since today's Canadian is tomorrow's US.

• Love 2

Yeah they do nothing for me. What I think would be the shit is if they did a bunch of clips classic transitioning or fading to new. 

Something to remind the viewers why they're here and the new ones of the history & heart. 

• Love 6
34 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/yr-alum-passes-away-52/

Bontatibus is best known for his portrayal of Tony on Y&R from 1998-2000. I haven't always kept up on Y and R and don't remember this character. Does anyone remember him?

I think he dated Sharon's friend Grace (who, of course, Nick had an affair with).  Or was he with Trisha's sister, Whats-her-nuts...the one who became Bridget #2 on B&B?  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, babyhouseman said:

Bontatibus is best known for his portrayal of Tony on Y&R from 1998-2000. I haven't always kept up on Y and R and don't remember this character. Does anyone remember him?

50 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

I think he dated Sharon's friend Grace (who, of course, Nick had an affair with).  Or was he with Trisha's sister, Whats-her-nuts...the one who became Bridget #2 on B&B?  

Yes, he played Tony Viscardi. He took over the role after Nick Scotti left the show. The character first dated Grace, but he broke up with her after he found out that she slept with Nick. He also dated and was later engaged to Megan (Tricia's sister). Tricia never thought that Tony was good enough for her baby sister and was obsessed with him. She ran him over on the day of his wedding to Megan- the two of them later married at the hospital before he passed away. 

Edited by ezzylin
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, babyhouseman said:

I remember him from his time playing Officer Capelli on GH back in the early 2000's.  I thought he was a hottie then.  Alas, his character was killed off at the feet of one Jason Morgan/SB.  Funny that.  Except not.  Condolences to his family.  Way too young.  :(

• Love 3

Nooo. I really liked Tony and Megan. I remember being really sad when they killed off his character and livid with Trisha who ran him down. I'm so sad to read he passed away in real life. So young, too. 2017 sucks balls.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

Out of all the couples, they pick them? Victor and Nikki would've been less sickening, and that's saying a lot. 

Daaaaaayum!

You ain't lied, though.? 

Plus, if Sally is really trying to woo old fans back to the show Victor and Nikki would have been the best choice. Or even Lauren and Michael, who have to hold some record for being the longest continually married couple not named Chris and Nancy Hughes.

• Love 7

I have a few captions for that Philly tweet.

Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Roses are red, violets are blue, Billy's nostrils could inhale a shoe.

Dances With Buttbiscuits... a grand, sweeping epic that follows a heroic anteater as he bravely protects a woman from fidelity, self-respect, and good sex. Nominated for the Golden Cheek for Best Picture by the American Proctology Board.

I just experienced sudden onset frostbite in my bikini area. Coincidence, I'm sure.

Genoa City Buzz: A Valentine's Day Dance in the Rexx Rugs parking lot quickly turned tragic when a fleet of eighteen wheelers careened off the highway. The only survivor was my interest in the show.

A Cure For Orgasms... Prepare for sleepless nights and anxious days as this mind bending psychological thriller haunts you with images of Billy Abbott styling and profiling through Genoa City, Wisconsin. He's searching for the elusive Red Heart, the key to immortalizing him as the greatest penis face in all of recorded human history. Ladies, you will leave this film with muffins drier than the lunar surface. 

Remember Jack Abbott? They don't.

Nose herpes: Ground Zero.

How to be more odious than Nick Newman in half the time.

• Love 19
16 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

That would be a cool intro for an anniversary week.

Y&R is blessed to have so many veteran actors on the show to even consider such an idea.

Yea what I was thinking was something subtle. Like to include the Jack "have a seat!" moment  with Victor and fade into current stuff, Michael in a cray moment then transition into him with his family, Sharon and Nick's wedding or as college kids and then shots of them now with other people...stuff to show the layers built on these leads. 

The current credits could be just an ad it's not a mini movie selling the show the way it actually could IMHO. 

• Love 7

So watching the other day, I started thinking about those "Ravi could be running a long con" spumours. My crystal ball could probably use some Windex, but based on what I've seen so far, the idea didn't work for me.

But what I've been thinking is he's going to get the Big Makeover--you know, working amid the fashion and cosmetics industries, Show will go for the "Why, Mr Shapur, you're lovely" moment. To confirm this idle speculation on my part, one of the soapy Twitters retweeted a picture of Ravi all tuxedo'd, with a haircut and no glasses. Too bad, I think he's got great hair. Among other things.

• Love 8