Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: The Back Story

• Start Topic

How did Brenda not get suspended for this? One of two things I think about when I see this episode. The other that secretly David Silver is the smartest of the whole group, he suppresses it obviously. 

Also Donna with a burn, probably her best burn ever. 

Steve's legacy key arc. As bad as Andrea's hit and run, David's music career and Donna's Rose Princess arc. 

• Love 1

I don't know why it's Kelly who is tagged the school tramp when Donna is the one consistently wearing outfits that practically show her vagina. From what I gathered, Donna's persistent virginity was because of Aaron Spelling. But why bother with a virginal character when you're going to constantly dress her like the hookers in Pretty Woman?

Speaking of Kelly the Slut...I don't get it. She was a snobby bitch in early season 1 when Brenda first showed up, that much is true, but we never saw her as "shall we say loose." Closest I can figure is when she tried to have sex with Gay Kyle on the first date. They're always going on about her "reputation" to the point where she thinks Dylan only wants her for sex when they first start dating, but Dylan is the first guy on the show we even see her have sex with. It's so WEIRD!

• Love 5

LOL the screen shot of Brandon and Steve in the Peach Pit locker room! Doesn't it totally look like Brandon is putting his clothes on after they just... ;) Didn't you always wonder if there was something more between those two? No? Just me, then?

Edited by CarmenMacCodykins
  • Love 1

LOL the screen shot of Brandon and Steve in the Peach Pit locker room! Doesn't it totally look like Brandon is putting his clothes on after... ;) Didn't you always wonder if there was something more between those two? No? Just me, then?

I looked at the picture WAY too quickly, and since I hadn't scrolled all the way down, I thought the back of that chair was Steve's thigh, and that he was wearing jean cutoffs.  In my defense, based on what he wore all summer at the beach, I think that was a fair assumption.

Also, that gif of Brandon kissing Nikki is making me think of Susan Saradon's character on Friends.  Maybe she learned that move from him.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 2

I don't know why it's Kelly who is tagged the school tramp when Donna is the one consistently wearing outfits that practically show her vagina. From what I gathered, Donna's persistent virginity was because of Aaron Spelling. But why bother with a virginal character when you're going to constantly dress her like the hookers in Pretty Woman?

Speaking of Kelly the Slut...I don't get it. She was a snobby bitch in early season 1 when Brenda first showed up, that much is true, but we never saw her as "shall we say loose." Closest I can figure is when she tried to have sex with Gay Kyle on the first date. They're always going on about her "reputation" to the point where she thinks Dylan only wants her for sex when they first start dating, but Dylan is the first guy on the show we even see her have sex with. It's so WEIRD!

The gif of the 3 girls in their print dresses (which I would totally wear today, well in the summer), Donna's dress is like a foot shorter than the Kelly's and Brenda's. Why does wardrobe always dress Donna in super short, skin tight dresses? That was NOT the style then (unless you were Kelly Bundy). Are you trying to deflect from her prominent horse-face features?

• Love 1
The gif of the 3 girls in their print dresses (which I would totally wear today, well in the summer), Donna's dress is like a foot shorter than the Kelly's and Brenda's. Why does wardrobe always dress Donna in super short, skin tight dresses? That was NOT the style then (unless you were Kelly Bundy). Are you trying to deflect from her prominent horse-face features?

That was such an odd facet of the show.  I realize a woman can dress in revealing clothing without it saying anything about her sexuality, but it was so strange to me that the show's designated virgin always seemed to wear the most revealing clothing.  In the later seasons, it gets even worse. 

On a more positive note, Brenda really looks good this season. 

• Love 1

Do Brenda and Dylan never kiss? Because you can douse yourself in French perfume all you like but unless you're drinking the stuff anyone kissing you is going to notice you smoke. "Smokey? Oh, I've just had a hearty meal of charcoal. It's great for your digestion!" 

As someone who has at various times been in smoker/non-smoker relationships as both the smoker and the non, a spritz of breath freshener does not cut it.

Brenda looks beautiful!! This is like peak hair and makeup. She looked the best in season 3. <br />The gang was a little hard on Brenda when they knew exactly what type of show Backstory was. Although it was the true, but still. <br />Auunnhdrea was noticeably not on Backstory. I think her backstory is pretty interesting...<br />Living in the Valley, lying about her age, and trying to sleep with at least two teachers.

• Love 3

Kelly basically was that girl early on. She was boy crazy and had earned a rep. It's a rep she fell into for awhile. You never saw her deny being "loose". But, its probably always been blown up by the likes of Steve more than what it was in reality. She probably hooked up with two or three guys and a rep was born.

I wish I could agree on Brenda's look, but...the bangs, the bangs. It looks like a helmet. And while this isn't limited to just Brenda, it feels like the girls tend to be either overdressed or under dressed much of the time. Brenda looks like shes completing an after-school internship at D&D or something in most of these pics.

I guess working on a TV station in El-Ay in the early 90s meant you wore brightly colored blazers? Unless you were at your equestrian competition...

Kelly's bitch face was gold.

Both times.

No Sue and Herbert this episode? I guess the spin-off was a slow build (until it wasn't)...

As for the whole "Donna showing the most skin" issue...not passing judgement on what women wear and how it relates to their sexual lives. For me, the issue is how Felice keeps letting her leave the house dressed like that. Or did Donna just get to school early and dress down in the bathroom or something?

Edited by AndySmith

Brandon figured his grades and extra-curriculars would be enough, while Brenda hasn't done anything since the Rap Line? I don't know much about US Colleges but I feel like both their scores were pretty average for how smart they're supposed to be. 

Brandon figured his grades and extra-curriculars would be enough, while Brenda hasn't done anything since the Rap Line? I don't know much about US Colleges but I feel like both their scores were pretty average for how smart they're supposed to be. 

I guess. Also Brenda did the freshmen buddy thing with Sue. Not a very good buddy but she did it. I think she does a lot of things after. 

True - it's probably just lazy plotting then. 

ETA: I had this vague idea that there were some inconsistencies with these SAT storylines thing so I started looking at episode summaries, and there are, but more importantly, I realised we're only one episode away from the electric slide to solve racism. Yes! 

Edited by MissEwa

In one of the Ray episodes Felice and Ray are watching Donna cavorting in the pool and they bond over their disdain for her wardrobe choices. Felice says "Well maybe you'll have better luck than I had", regarding talking to Donna about her skimpy clothes. So maybe the suggestion is Felice has tried but Donna ignored her.

I do find it funny though that Ray gets bent out of shape about her wearing a bikini in the pool but never had any issues with any of her many other skimpy outfits.

They were incredibly mediocre, especially considering the kids are supposed to be at a school people from the Valley are faking residency to go to. I remember the podcast where the scores came back and Sarah said the same thing.
  • Love 1

Their scores were just okay, but it's true that Brandon's various jobs and jillion extra-curriculars would pretty much make up for that with most schools -- plus he's supposed to get better grades in general. Brenda doesn't really do much and isn't exactly supposed to be a straight A student (though her summer semester in Paris would be a boon). It's funny then that they both get into CU which is allegedly such a great school. In fact, Brenda magically gets into CU in the middle of a semester after first turning down her acceptance, so they must REALLY want her!

• Love 1