Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor In The Media

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Nashville said:

Have to take that up with @SVNBob; as the original poster on the Lexicon thread, he’s the only one who can edit that post.

And right now I can't even do that.  Might be because of the update; might be because the post is too old to edit anymore.

I did put a list of season abbreviations on page 2.  But that's also a little outdated, and also uneditable.

I will start working on compilations to collate everything posted in the Lexicon thus far (with attributions to the contributors) that will be posted sometime in the future.

• Love 7

Since I've been re-watching the Philippines season, here is Malcolm's EW Quarantine Interview.  Reading this reminds me why I loved the guy and his humor so much.  I also agree on what he would change in the game of Survivor.  I feel like every one of these write-ups I've read, the contestants would change something along the lines of idols or advantages.  

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-malcolm-freberg-philippines-caramoan-game-changers-quarantine-questionnaire/

If you could make one change to any aspect of Survivor, what would it be and why?

I've ranted and raved on Twitter on this topic plenty in recent years. I don't have just one gripe, I've got eleventy and a half. But if I could only pick one change, it'd be that every player be made aware of what advantages are in play each season.

Think about it: What other self-serious game with stakes this high — thus excluding most of the goofier reality competitions — includes such a randomized, unknowable grab bag of unbalanced yet game-defining boosts? Outwit and Outplay are now dwarfed by Outlast, and Outlast lately means playing under the radar, or be the champion of jungle Easter egg hunts. And this is coming from someone whose run on the show was pretty much defined by idols.

Probst's oft-repeated mantra of "In Survivor, you've got to be ready for anything" is ruining Survivor.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8

Fiji Extends International Flight Ban, Survivor Season 42 Delayed

The Fijian government has suspended all international passenger flights due to a recent rise in COVID-19 cases, putting the filming of Survivor‘s forty-second season in jeopardy.

Survivor is currently deep into the filming of season 41 on Fiji’s Mamanuca islands, but a second outbreak of the highly infectious Indian COIVD-19 variant over the past two weeks has seen the government impose new restrictions, including a ban on air travel in and out of the country.

On 5/6/2021 at 4:54 AM, LadyChatts said:

Hopefully they figure something out before next spring (and if it means filming somewhere I’m all for it).

There's always Jeff's garage. 😐

• LOL 9
(edited)

https://insidesurvivor.com/update-fiji-flight-situation-survivor-season-42-49714

Looks like S42 will happen, as the cast was able to get into Fiji before the ban on international flights happened.

ETA: And in other Survivor news...if you know about Anna and her politics, this shouldn't be surprising.

https://www.pokernews.com/news/2021/05/poker-player-survivor-anna-khait-mplicated-plot-spy-on-fbi-39141.htm

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

*sigh*

Last week, AV Club ran a series about “Reality Game Changers”; cast members who would come to define their respective franchises. The representative for Survivor?

Rob Mariano

Even more messed up: his performance on Redemption Island was cited. I’m getting ready for work, so I’m not going to rant hard about this. I’ll just say that I can’t co-sign that at all.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I have watched every season of Survivor but she does not ring a bell for me. I read she was voted off 5th so maybe that is a part of it. 

I actually do remember her!  But I watched every Survivor season twice, with the second time being a year ago, so it makes sense.

7 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

*sigh*

Last week, AV Club ran a series about “Reality Game Changers”; cast members who would come to define their respective franchises. The representative for Survivor?

Rob Mariano

Even more messed up: his performance on Redemption Island was cited. I’m getting ready for work, so I’m not going to rant hard about this. I’ll just say that I can’t co-sign that at all.

That's a heck of a lot better than Rupert😅

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, greyflannel said:

That's a heck of a lot better than Rupert😅

And better than Richard Hatch who spent some time in prison. Too bad because he's the reason why everyone scrambles to form an 'alliance' from the minute they get on the island.

• Love 1

Richard gets the credit for alliances but it would have been someone else if he had not been cast. It is the most obvious play if you are there to win the money. The first bunch of seasons they were casting people who were mainly there for the adventure and to test themselves in some way. Once the show took off, people started playing for the money and alliances and sub alliances became that much more important to individual game play.

• Love 5
(edited)

I don't know if that Season 1 cast would have ever come up with alliances.  Maybe a season or two down the line.  I don't think it's fair to say that that cast would have come up with the idea if he didn't.  He deserves credit.  I don't like him AT ALL, but he is an evil genius.

Dr. Sean wouldn't have.  Rudy wouldn't have.  Nobody on Pagong would have and proved that by not doing it.  Sue would not have.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
(edited)

Joel from Pagong actually tried getting an alliance going on his tribe.  Supposedly, he was told that there was an alliance on Tagi of 4, and that motivated him to try and get his tribe to vote together at the merge (which he didn’t even make).  After Gretchen got booted, Pagong still had this ‘well if you want to play the game like that’ attitude.  They were hopeless, although I kind of miss that naivety of early seasons.  

Putting aside Joel not getting his Tagi intel, I still seem to remember that he said he tried getting alliances and voting blocs going day 1 but no one was interested.  I think he didn’t push it until the merge got close.  I do think, aside from Hatch, Joel probably had one of the better concepts of game play.  Too bad his social game wasn’t better.

As for Boston Rob, while I’m not always his biggest fan (and think his RI win was a farce), I can’t disagree that he’s at least one of the players who does define Survivor.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 5
(edited)

Okay, so they understood the idea of alliances, or at least, Joel did, but nobody in that cast was successful at engineering one besides Richard.  Take away Richard and I don't see anyone else being successful at it either.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Okay, so they understood the idea of alliances, or at least, Joel did, but nobody in that cast was successful at engineering one besides Richard.  Take away Richard and I don't see anyone else being successful at it either.

And the season would have played out differently. Alliances would have come into play in season 2 or whenever they cast people who were not just there for the experience and actually wanted to win the money as a primary goal.

You will always have your Ozzie's, people who just don't get that the game isn't just winning challenges and doesn't really get the team element of Survivor. It does not take a huge leap in thought to see that you advance by having the numbers. It seems to take a larger leap to get that you make the finals by controlling those numbers. It takes an even larger leap to figure out that you win by controlling the numbers and getting along with the various players.

Richard and Joel figured out the advancing with numbers. Richard figured out getting to the end with the numbers, Joel didn't have the chance. I don't think that Richard understood the getting along with the various players bit. He was smart enough to bring Kelly who had pissed off Sue and some other players but that is not the same as getting along with the various players.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

And the season would have played out differently. Alliances would have come into play in season 2 or whenever they cast people who were not just there for the experience and actually wanted to win the money as a primary goal.

Yes, that was my initial point, that I don't think S1 would have played out anything like it did without Richard

• Love 1

If you switch Hatch and Joel and put them on each other's respective tribes, I think Hatch is one of the first to go at Pagong, and Joel may have actually gotten credit with "creating" an alliance.  I think the people at Tagi were just more incline to vote together like that.  I mean, even Sean went along with the alliance while hopelessly playing both sides.  Sue/Kelly were a tight pair up until she started waffling at the alliance.  Had Stacey stuck around over Rudy (assuming for a moment there wasn't a conspiracy to vote her out by Burnett, or the guys didn't go along with it after all).  She may have been the 4th person in that alliance.  Maybe Joel would have been more convincing than Hatch at getting Sean/Dirk in.  Hard to say, but I think his odds at forming an alliance would have been better at Tagi.  But as I mentioned above, Joel's biggest issue was his big mouth and ego.  

I do agree that the first season especially had a cast that was so blind to the actual game, and was more about the true survival and adventure aspect.  Greg was clearly there for the adventure, and Gretchen seemed to believe that the survival aspect of building shelters and fires would win you the million.  I'll again say I really miss that on this show.  Watching older seasons, especially in the very early years, seems like an entirely different show compared to today's big moves, non-stop strategy sessions, and idol hunts.  

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/20/2021 at 10:41 PM, LadyChatts said:

Gretchen seemed to believe that the survival aspect of building shelters and fires would win you the million.

Yeah, poor Gretchen; her naïveté is what did her in.  I’m pretty sure Gretchen thought everybody’s votes would be based altruistically on recognizing the folks with the best survival skills - or, contrariwise, to eliminate those with the worst survival skills - and the idea of folks voting strategically to maximize their chances of financial reward simply didn’t occur to her.

On 5/20/2021 at 10:41 PM, LadyChatts said:

Greg was clearly there for the adventure

I have to disagree on this one.  Greg acted goofy (remember his “shellphone”?) and was maximizing his enjoyment of the game, sure - but IMHO he was also clearly the most strategic player on Pagong, which is why he got targeted so early post-merge.  Hatch himself said he immediately recognized Greg’s game potential in a like-knows-like manner, which is why Hatch targeted Greg immediately; as I recall, Hatch even said something to the effect of “I don’t need the competition”.

Not to mention Peachy stated in post-season interviews he found Greg to be the most exasperating castaway to work with of the entire bunch, which gets Greg bonus points in my book - although I considered Greg’s treatment of Colleen abominable.

Edited by Nashville
Typo
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Nashville said:

Yeah, poor Gretchen; her naïveté is what did her in.  I’m pretty sure Gretchen thought everybody’s votes would be based altruistically on recognizing the folks with the best survival skills - or, contrariwise, to eliminate those with the worst survival skills - and the idea of folks voting strategically to maximize their chances of financial reward simply didn’t occur to her.

I think ‘LumberJill’ [Tina] felt the same way and was shocked that they voted her out over Cirie, who was afraid of leaves.  I felt that way too at the time, although I also understood Tina was having a very difficult time due to her son's fairly recent death.

Not Tina Wesson, Tina Scheer of Survivor: Panama.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Debb Eaton thought that way, too, which is why she voted for vomiting on day 1 Jeff Varner (thinking he was the weakest link, and therefore the most logical choice).  Given how embarrassed she was by her earlier than expected exit, and of course all of the "scandal" of her dating her step-son, I can see why Debb wishes she never set foot in the Outback. 

That did just seem to be a popular mind set back then-that the weak were expected to go early, while the strong stuck around, and somehow that would matter in the end.  Sometimes that happened, sometimes those who perceived themselves as strong got a huge shock when Probst was snuffing their torch on day 3.   

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

‘Survivor South Africa’ finishes production

No, it’s not the American version, but it’ll have to do for fans craving more “Survivor.” This international season, dubbed “Survivor SA: Immunity Island,” concluded filming in December 2020 on the Wild Coast of South Africa under the strictest of Covid-19 guidelines. It will premiere on Thursday, June 3, 2021 with Nico Panagio returning as host.

https://www.goldderby.com/gallery/survivor-41-premiere-date-cast-everything-to-know-photos/nico-panagio-survivor-south-africa/

😍

1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Wow, that logo is very terrible lol.

It looks like a kid did it with Microsoft Paint. Are they just calling the season Survivor 41? Considering some of the dumb themes they've come up with, that might be for the better.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

It looks like a kid did it with Microsoft Paint. Are they just calling the season Survivor 41? Considering some of the dumb themes they've come up with, that might be for the better.

According to Redmond, going forward they may just call the season by its number, rather than coming up with new/recycled themes.  Personally, I prefer that rather than seeing Brains Brawn Beauty 10.0 or whatever Islands of the Idols was supposed to be.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Yea, if they’re not going to ever leave Fiji (and they’re not) then I think ditching the themes and just calling it by the number is the best thing they could do.

But surely someone could have made a better logo that that lol.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I was certainly expecting more than a child's clipart attempt.

But hey, times are hard all over the place, so that's probably all they could afford.

Hey, maybe Probst designed it. “I’ve been out on the streets again, and people keep asking me if I have the bare minimum of artistic talent. This is my response. You’re welcome!”

• LOL 2

So, they're never changing locations, cutting filming time by 1/3, not having season themes, doing crappy graphics and can't even bother to give episodes a title.   If Production doesn't care to even half-ass things, why should we care about this show anymore?

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Maverick said:

So, they're never changing locations, cutting filming time by 1/3, not having season themes, doing crappy graphics and can't even bother to give episodes a title.   If Production doesn't care to even half-ass things, why should we care about this show anymore?

Yet, we will still care.

You know it.

I know it.

Hell, my neighbor’s cat knows it.

• LOL 8
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 6/9/2021 at 12:16 PM, Maverick said:

There is a worldwide pandemic happening. I'm just happy that it's back at all.  That's more than "Project Runway" could muster and PR doesn't even have the excuse of having to film on an exotic island.  The logo has zero effect on my enjoyment of the show.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 12

We haven't had a good logo since, like, Heroes vs Villains. This is actually an improvement on most of the recent attempts. I'm mostly just happy they didn't do yet another "ships or huts with a big yellow 'sun' ball in the background" logo.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRPIdieJhNW/

Jeff on the new season.

He's really hyping it being a whole new game.

LOL. "You could call it Survivor 2.0! You can call it Survivor: Dawn of a New Era! Which it is! You could call it Survivor 41! Drop the 4, keep the 1 because it's a brand new game!" Translation: It's mostly the same but we added some stuff.

The last time they radically changed the game was Edge of Extinction and we see how great that worked out. The season won by Who's That's Guy.

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Jeff's eyes look weird 😪

I can't help noticing how thin he is. He looks like he looked after season 3, when he picked up a parasite in Africa and was underweight for about a year. I hope he's not sick.

• Love 1