Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor In The Media

• Start Topic

On 7/13/2021 at 10:52 AM, fishcakes said:

LOL. "You could call it Survivor 2.0! You can call it Survivor: Dawn of a New Era! Which it is! You could call it Survivor 41! Drop the 4, keep the 1 because it's a brand new game!" Translation: It's mostly the same but we added some stuff.

The last time they radically changed the game was Edge of Extinction and we see how great that worked out. The season won by Who's That's Guy.

You make a joke about it, but I honestly forget his name all of the time.  I don't recall what he looks like and I always have to look him up when someone makes a reference to him.  I feel like I have blocked him from my brain.  Almost as if there was no winner between Nick and Tommy.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, BK1978 said:

Almost as if there was no winner between Nick and Tommy.

Tommy won?! How do I not remember him winning at all lol.

Several past Survivor contestants will be on the new season of The Challenge that premieres August 11th.

Michaela, Michele, and Tommy from the US version and then 3 from international versions.

• Love 1

I don't remember many of the winners, mainly because a lot of the winners end up winning because people are annoyed with the people who made more moves. Or at least, that is what I perceive from what I can see on TV.

And after the massive additions of idols and advantages I really don't remember the winners because things are so stupidly manipulated that I no longer think that there is that much skill involved in winning and a whole lot more luck.

• Love 4

Alec from DvG was briefly in this week's episode of The White Lotus on HBO. I was like is that Alec and then I was like it must be and sure enough it was lol.

ETA: Just looked on IMDb and apparently he will be in the rest of the episodes.

• Love 2

@fishcakes:  I wanted to say thank you.  Due to your post I was once again forced to look him up on a Survivor Wiki site.  This led me to seeing that Australian Survivor just came back, which is awesome because Australian Survivor is the better version currently. 

So thank you, without you invoking him, I would not have looked him up and I would not have found out that Aussie Survivor had come back.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/19/2021 at 9:18 AM, peachmangosteen said:

Tommy won?! How do I not remember him winning at all lol.

Several past Survivor contestants will be on the new season of The Challenge that premieres August 11th.

Michaela, Michele, and Tommy from the US version and then 3 from international versions.

I'd probably forget Tommy won all together, except the one thing that stood out was this look he got on his face when he was told that he was being targeted.  I don't know why that stands out to me, but it must have been memorable enough.  I think I get a kick out of people feeling offending when their name comes up as a possible vote off.  Other than that I don't think he got much screen time that entire season.  Dean should have won, at least he would have probably been a more memorable winner lol

The 30's era of Survivor haven't been very kind to the series.  Unmemorable winners, dumb twists, this constant need for people to evolve the game when it's really about getting screen time and making themselves some sort of character or master mind...I can't believe when I re-watched Philippines recently how much of a difference it seemed than when we hit S30.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 6
On 7/13/2021 at 7:13 PM, fishcakes said:

I can't help noticing how thin he is. He looks like he looked after season 3, when he picked up a parasite in Africa and was underweight for about a year. I hope he's not sick.

Probably wasn’t eating out a lot and food limited on the show due to Covid.  

On 7/19/2021 at 2:25 PM, peachmangosteen said:

Alec from DvG was briefly in this week's episode of The White Lotus on HBO. I was like is that Alec and then I was like it must be and sure enough it was lol.

ETA: Just looked on IMDb and apparently he will be in the rest of the episodes.

I saw him too! He brought the two girls' lost bag to the hotel manager. I haven't seen him since, though his name's in the credits. I thought he did fine with his one line, lol.

Then I remembered that he and Mike White were both on the Goliath tribe and it all made sense. Nice of Mike to throw him a gig.

• Useful 1
45 minutes ago, kassandra8286 said:

I saw him too! He brought the two girls' lost bag to the hotel manager. I haven't seen him since, though his name's in the credits. I thought he did fine with his one line, lol.

Then I remembered that he and Mike White were both on the Goliath tribe and it all made sense. Nice of Mike to throw him a gig.

Wow, I forgot he was on Mike White's Survivor season. That's so cute lol. He was in ep 3 twice; he was the server at the bar. He had like 1 line lol.

On 7/27/2021 at 3:15 PM, Lamb18 said:

I do not remember Tommy at all or which season he was on. The only Tommy I remember is the one from Big Brother season 21.

And when you remember him he reminds you of home right?

...what???..

• LOL 2

A little off topic, but I have to sing the praises of the current season of Australian Survivor.  It has been great thus far.  If anyone is inclined to check it out, I would say do so.  There is this one contestant George who is such a character.  His tribe keeps on trying to vote him out and each time he finds a way out of it.  Just a very fun season thus far.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Our first ad for the new season :)  Nothing fancy but still excited.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSha3IKnUSy/?utm_medium=copy_link

I saw that commercial and another similar one the last couple of nights during Love Island (shut up, it's summer, there's nothing else on). It's interesting that they never say "Survivor" or show the name or the logo. Those of us who watch the show recognize the image of the person emerging from the water with a torch as well as Probst's voice at the end, but I guess they're trying to create some mystery around the show to draw in new or former viewers.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, fishcakes said:

I saw that commercial and another similar one the last couple of nights during Love Island (shut up, it's summer, there's nothing else on). It's interesting that they never say "Survivor" or show the name or the logo. Those of us who watch the show recognize the image of the person emerging from the water with a torch as well as Probst's voice at the end, but I guess they're trying to create some mystery around the show to draw in new or former viewers.

I don’t judge, I use to live and breathe Temptation Island on FOX (and I don’t even think I can blame summer for that).

I also thought the commercial was kind of odd. I expected to see the cast in it and looked to see if they had officially been revealed yet.  I liked it, but didn’t know why they went with this mysterious angle.  But maybe your right that they are trying to build up some kind of hype and curiosity.  

• Love 1

Hello! I am back from my years of hiatus because I am so excited to have Survivor again! Good to see some old friends still here! I've read all about how "brutal" this season is supposed to be, does that mean we can finally get rid of the endless advantages and idols?? And did I see somewhere there are 3 Canadians?

• Love 1

https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/pictures/survivor-season-41-cast-revealed-new-26-day-game-introduced/

The cast is officially released.

Also, I'm kind of scared by this:

“Survivor 41 is birthing a new era, starting with a much more dangerous 26-day game,” the CBS personality, 59, explains about the evolution. “So that means it is a very fast pace. It does force the players to make bigger decisions. So there will be new advantages and there will be some controversial twists.”

The longtime host does anticipate some backlash from diehard fans as he continues to explain: “There’s a history on Survivor. Every twist we’ve ever done people have hated in the beginning, going to back to season 3 when we did the first tribe swap. Now if tribes don’t get a switch, they’re upset. It was the same with the idol, it’s the same with everything.”

• Useful 4
2 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

This is the first season with the increased diversity casting rule.  So we get four black men, two black women, two Asian women, one South Asian man.  Possibly one Hispanic man if Ricard Foye is Hispanic.  Apart from him, no apparent Hispanic contestants, no East Asian males, no Native American.

Interestingly, I don't see any of the typical 20 something young white bohunks that Jeffy salivates over (the Chris Underwoods, Dan Rengerings, etc).  This will be an interesting experience for him.

• Love 5

Included in this new era is what they are calling a “Game within the Game” element, which Probst describes as “an interactive experience for junior, future Survivor players” who will “have to spot and solve rebus puzzles hidden within each episode.”

Boy, does that sound lame. Will there be cash prizes? Or clues to spoilers? If not, who cares. Although as someone who is the opposite of a "junior, future, Survivor player", I guess I'm not the target audience for that anyway. Still, with the shortened season, faster pace, and "controversial twists" it seems kind of unnecessary. I just hope I can keep up as it is, lol.

I am excited about the cast, though. Diverse, all ages, real-looking people with real occupations. Not a bartender or pharmaceutical rep in the bunch!

• Love 5
12 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

26-day game

39 to 26 is a very big difference. It's 1/3 less. Normally day 24-26 is the day of the merge. I hate changes and I will watch because I'm curious but I already know I won't like it. Plus Jeff accusing the people who won't like the changes a priori doesn't sit well with me. Screw you Jeff. Just make a normal Survivor season with pure game play. Is it so hard? 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, himela said:

39 to 26 is a very big difference. It's 1/3 less. Normally day 24-26 is the day of the merge. I hate changes and I will watch because I'm curious but I already know I won't like it. Plus Jeff accusing the people who won't like the changes a priori doesn't sit well with me. Screw you Jeff. Just make a normal Survivor season with pure game play. Is it so hard? 

The fact that he comes right out and says that we’ll hate the twist but eventually learn to love it makes me realize how bad it is going to be.  And I’m guessing it was probably his idea since he’s already on the defense.  

I’m sad that the season is shortened, but I think it was due to budget issues since the cast has to quarantine for COVID once they get to Fiji (something like that).  I’m somewhat curious how they will pull it off.  There aren’t any fewer castaways than a 39 day season, so does this mean more double or even triple boot episodes?  A final 4 instead of a final 3?  Less episodes?  

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I’m somewhat curious how they will pull it off.

Per the interview I posted, part of how they'll do it is fewer challenges; specifically fewer RCs.

Which makes a logistic sense.  There had been a basic 3-day cycle with RCs, IC/TC, and one day of rest.  Can't cut IC and TC, so it comes down to less rest or fewer rewards.  Or more likely both.

One "advantage" to fewer challenges means that more time per episode will have to be spent at camp on strategery.  Which is a thing many of us old-school fans have been wanting to see come back.

• Love 4

They "need" fewer reward challenges with the season being so much shorter. There is less need for challenges to try and get food or survival gear to the contestants.

I don't get the need to cut the season shorter because of quarantining people. The show makes enough money that they should have been able to pay a stipend to the cast during the quarantine. Heck, they could have used that time for virtual training, walking through safe plants, animals and general roles so that the cast was pretty much good to go at the end of the quarantine. Video tape the lessons, require the contestants to watch the videos and take a quiz. Let the contestants email questions to the trainers.

Didn't they already have a jet lag/training time period in the schedule for Contestants? So the unproductive quarantine time would have been like 8 days instead of 14.

• Love 7
23 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

The longtime host does anticipate some backlash from diehard fans as he continues to explain: “There’s a history on Survivor. Every twist we’ve ever done people have hated in the beginning, going to back to season 3 when we did the first tribe swap. Now if tribes don’t get a switch, they’re upset. It was the same with the idol, it’s the same with everything.”

Here Peachy attempts to infer something with no support whatsoever…

• Tribe swaps were a Production-introduced twist which initially met resistance but eventually gained acceptance.
  • Immunity idols were a Production-introduced twist which initially met resistance but eventually gained acceptance.
  • Therefore ALL Production-introduced twists initially meet resistance but eventually gain acceptance.

…which, to any but the most extremely casual viewer of the show, is a complete and utter load of crap.

1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

I don't get the need to cut the season shorter because of quarantining people.

IMHO the quarantine necessity would recommend against shortening the season; the longer you keep folks (cast AND crew) segregated from the general population, the lower the chances they’ll contract something communicable.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Maverick said:

So he what...caught those Saved By The Marathons on E! during quarantine?   And he thinks he's Zach Morris?

I swear to God if he says “time out” to break the fourth wall I’m done.  

Also, it appears Survivor was looking into other locations to film when Fiji was unavailable.  I understand Hawaii, but Georgia?

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-41-georgia-hawaii-covid-jeff-probst/?did=671450-20210901&utm_campaign=ewk-tv_newsletter&utm_source=ew.com&utm_medium=email&utm_content=090121&cid=671450&mid=66012677445

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Georgia probably has fewer restrictions based on COVID then Hawaii and would be less expensive. the temperatures in many places in Georgia would be great for Survivor and I suspect that there are places that are remote enough to make it work.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I understand Hawaii, but Georgia?

Georgia has decent infrastructure and subsidies for shooting TV; reality TV in particular. 

Remember that show Hunted from a few years ago; the one where pairs of civilians were trying to evade being captured by law enforcement personnel?  (I know @Nashville does, or they may be trying to forget.)  That was mainly shot in Georgia.

I think Tyler Perry has a filming compound in the state as well, so Survivor might have been talking to him about using some of his facilities.

• Useful 4
  • LOL 1
22 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Also, it appears Survivor was looking into other locations to film when Fiji was unavailable.  I understand Hawaii, but Georgia?

Most folks don’t realize this, but Atlanta passed Hollywood as the primary center of the American film industry about 5 years ago.  
Back around 2002 Georgia enacted a bunch of tax incentives for film production companies in a bid to get more movie/TV action going there, and stepped up the incentives in 2008 - but it really took off when a production company decided to base its next new series in the general Atlanta region.  Maybe you’ve heard of the show - The Walking Dead?  😉
That was in 2010, and the Georgia film industry has done nothing but grow by leaps and bounds ever since.

Edited by Nashville
Typo
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
On 8/30/2021 at 4:40 PM, kassandra8286 said:

Boy, does that sound lame.

As lame as Rob and Sandra giving little on the spot lessons. I don't like anything that takes us out of the Lord of the Flies scenario.  I wish they still had the finale on the island while everyone is still lean and hungry and inclined to make angry speeches.

• Love 6
On 8/31/2021 at 2:47 AM, LadyChatts said:

The fact that he comes right out and says that we’ll hate the twist but eventually learn to love it makes me realize how bad it is going to be.  And I’m guessing it was probably his idea since he’s already on the defense.  

I’m sad that the season is shortened, but I think it was due to budget issues since the cast has to quarantine for COVID once they get to Fiji (something like that).  I’m somewhat curious how they will pull it off.  There aren’t any fewer castaways than a 39 day season, so does this mean more double or even triple boot episodes?  A final 4 instead of a final 3?  Less episodes?  

I don’t think Jeffy ever met a twist he didn’t like.  He regards every twist as the greatest innovation the game has ever seen.  I find him completely tone deaf as to how he views the opinions of the fans, he has no idea how to read the room.

I think in a regular season they don’t have eliminations every day?  It’s like every other day or every third day?  Looks like there will be some back to back days of eliminations, which is fine with me.  I wonder how this will affect strategy... it gives players less time in between eliminations to adjust.  

• Love 6

I watched the first season of Survivor again and wow was that great! Stripped down to the basics and the contestants talked a lot more letting us know what they were thinking.  The camp was so primitive and everyone so ate up from bugs and sunburned. It felt so much more real than what we see now.  I loved it!

Still can't wait for the new season, though.  That will never change-- I hope!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

I don’t think Jeffy ever met a twist he didn’t like.  He regards every twist as the greatest innovation the game has ever seen.  I find him completely tone deaf as to how he views the opinions of the fans, he has no idea how to read the room.

I think in a regular season they don’t have eliminations every day?  It’s like every other day or every third day?  Looks like there will be some back to back days of eliminations, which is fine with me.  I wonder how this will affect strategy... it gives players less time in between eliminations to adjust.  

It was usually every third day.  I think there might have been seasons here and there where an elimination might take place every two days.  I hope that this doesn't mean people that get in an alliance are more afraid to make moves, because there's such a short turnaround between TC and maybe not enough time to strategize.    

Jeff has always been on the defense when fans overwhelming dislike something (or someone).  The fact that he's already on the defense with whatever is happening this season is kind of funny, and why I'm both terrified and intrigued.  I think it got worse when he was made executive producer of the show and really had a say in things.  But I always remember that whatever shred of credibility I gave Probst's opinions went out the window when he told everyone S30 was going to be the best season ever.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

I have never before read or watched anything about the players before the season started.  I'm going to have to go back to that policy.  I've seen stuff about some of the players and I already hate two of them.  Better to go into it blind and learn to hate them as we go along.

In that Entertainment Weekly article, is that just a really bad picture of Peachy or has he really, really screwed up this face?  (dumb computer won't save the picture for me.)

• Love 1

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CTnevn6hF3a/?utm_medium=copy_link

First few minutes of the premiere with some of the cast.  I think I like Tiffany and JD from this little clip.  Evvie I think I’ll like or she’ll grate because she seems a little too super fan.  

5 hours ago, bunnyface said:

we go along.

In that Entertainment Weekly article, is that just a really bad picture of Peachy or has he really, really screwed up this face?  (dumb computer won't save the picture for me.)

I feel like Probst looks like he’s been out in Fiji for over a year waiting for the show to start back up.  He’s seen better days.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Unlike many of you I love change. I get bored really easily and crave novelty so I'm excited for a new, shorter, shaken-up Survivor. I remember how much I enjoyed the pared-down Celebrity Big Brother, compared to the much longer regular one. 

After so many seasons, we need to see some big changes, as jarring as they may be. As long as they still have challenges where the Survivors are all blindfolded and fall down a lot, I'll be in my happy place. 

• Love 4

I'm not sure this is the place to post this but I'd like to recommend you a podcast about Survivor, maybe you know it, made by a couple named Jo Ann and Stacy.

https://joannandstacyshow.libsyn.com/

They also have a site where there is a game being played where people can predict who goes out next, then they get points and someone win in the end which gives an extra edge to my Survivor experience.

http://www.stevejodiweber.com/jsfl/

They just did their JABBIC, Judge A Book By Its Cover, preseason show for season 41.

I just love this couple, I love how they are very kind with everyone and with each other. For some reason their voices just calm me down.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, himela said:

I'm not sure this is the place to post this but I'd like to recommend you a podcast about Survivor, maybe you know it, made by a couple named Jo Ann and Stacy.

https://joannandstacyshow.libsyn.com/

They also have a site where there is a game being played where people can predict who goes out next, then they get points and someone win in the end which gives an extra edge to my Survivor experience.

http://www.stevejodiweber.com/jsfl/

They just did their JABBIC, Judge A Book By Its Cover, preseason show for season 41.

I just love this couple, I love how they are very kind with everyone and with each other. For some reason their voices just calm me down.

Yes, definitely, they have a regular group of listeners who call in weekly and they are entertaining too. They have a lovely interaction with each other, I usually listen to them just before bed. I still love Rob and his podcasts but they are more strategies and game play. Can’t wait for the new season!

Also the weekly predictions game is fun too. Gives you something extra to watch for.

• Love 4