Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor In The Media

• Start Topic

It will be interesting to see Season 42 next to compare & contrast from Season 41. This is the first time that filming was done so closely back to back. Season 42 had no idea what happened on Season 41 but did get to watch it before their season aired. Now, while Jeff & Co. didn’t know about the fan backlash about the hourglass they did from Danny. Could that be one of the things that’s get tweaked like Jeff mentioned? It’s the same schedule film wise. There is a two week quarantine before the game starts and it’s still 26 Days.

I’m glad Survivor returned. I didn’t really notice any big difference with it being 26 days versus 39 days. It seems like average weight loss was about 20 lbs. I think the old Survivor cast lost 30 ions or so until they began giving them too much food in the later seasons. 

• Love 2

Poor Heather.  I noticed Erika was vocal on SM at the start of the season with her lack of airtime, but it must have really been puzzling to her since she ended up winning.  Sometimes that's why I hate the 3-tribe format.  It was really between Yase and Ua at the start of the season because they were the only ones losing/finding idols and advantages.

In thinking ahead to future returning player seasons, there's actually more people from this season I'd like to see return than I thought.  Guess I liked it better than I expected lol

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 4

Not sure where to put this but someone made a side by side video of the votes being read at the finale and the rraction of Erika and her family a finale watch party in Toronto. Also, it says in the description that Heather flew up to Toronto to be with her at this event (though she doesn't appear in the video)

• Love 6

I’m curious to how much alike/different Season 41 & 42 are. They were shot back to back without any audience reaction beforehand. Although, Jeff heard what the cast (mostly Danny) reaction to the (hated) twist. So will they have done it the same or tweaked it for 42? I will say I didn’t really notice a difference between a 26 day game vs. a 39 day game. The only thing I saw was after a person was voted out and was weighed which obviously wasn’t on the show itself. It wasn’t as dramatic and no one appeared rail thin. I think the new season begins in March which isn’t horrible since we didn’t have Survivor for almost a year. I’m looking forward to see the new cast since since 41 was so well cast. Will there be another Ricard, Shan, Xander and Heather? Time will tell. Merry Christmas y’all and Happy New Year! 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I’m curious to how much alike/different Season 41 & 42 are. They were shot back to back without any audience reaction beforehand. Although, Jeff heard what the cast (mostly Danny) reaction to the (hated) twist. So will they have done it the same or tweaked it for 42? I will say I didn’t really notice a difference between a 26 day game vs. a 39 day game. The only thing I saw was after a person was voted out and was weighed which obviously wasn’t on the show itself. It wasn’t as dramatic and no one appeared rail thin. I think the new season begins in March which isn’t horrible since we didn’t have Survivor for almost a year. I’m looking forward to see the new cast since since 41 was so well cast. Will there be another Ricard, Shan, Xander and Heather? Time will tell. Merry Christmas y’all and Happy New Year! 

They also know that the twists really didn't work or at least didn't work the way they thought they would.

The idols put a target on Shan and Naseer and kind of on Xander but not for long.

The extra votes were used in ways that made sense but really didn't impact the game. 

The Steal an Advantage/Idol caused for an interesting tribal but blew up in Liana's face

The turn back time worked but everyone on the cast disliked it and Danny actually challenged Jeff on it

The last advantage for the final five immunity worked, it helped Erika win

I am not certain those were the results that Production wanted. The biggest problem is that it is too clear that there are advantages in the game. The phrases are too obvious and transparent and the trips to the ship wheel were known to all. People knew what was happening and would have acted even if the players were not telling half their tribe what was happening. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

They also know that the twists really didn't work or at least didn't work the way they thought they would.

The idols put a target on Shan and Naseer and kind of on Xander but not for long.

The extra votes were used in ways that made sense but really didn't impact the game. 

The Steal an Advantage/Idol caused for an interesting tribal but blew up in Liana's face

The turn back time worked but everyone on the cast disliked it and Danny actually challenged Jeff on it

The last advantage for the final five immunity worked, it helped Erika win

I am not certain those were the results that Production wanted. The biggest problem is that it is too clear that there are advantages in the game. The phrases are too obvious and transparent and the trips to the ship wheel were known to all. People knew what was happening and would have acted even if the players were not telling half their tribe what was happening. 

I totally forgot all about the Shot in the Dark. It didn’t really work or wasn’t used as they hoped. Personally, I’m still not sure how it even worked but that’s just me. LOL!!!!

I also agree that the phrases was too obvious and everyone else knew. Then Jeff had to act all surprised at Tribal Council that it was a known secret. Um yeah, Jeff. You run the show and knew everyone knew. So why are you acting all dumb? If they had used some common phrases the 3 people could actually activate the idol without anyone knowing which you’d think the show would want. Nope!

• Love 1

But I think those advantages *could* have worked if people had just kept their traps shut.  Yeah, people are saying weird phrases at Tribal, but if everybody didn't know everything, they wouldn't have known exactly what the weird phrases were for.  Their Spidey senses would have tingled but they wouldn't have known exactly.  Yeah, they knew *something* was happening at the secret gatherings, but if someone hadn't blabbed all, they wouldn't have known exactly what was up.  I do think there were too many advantages and trickery, but also think they could have played better if people had any clue how to SHUT UP.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, bunnyface said:

But I think those advantages *could* have worked if people had just kept their traps shut.  Yeah, people are saying weird phrases at Tribal, but if everybody didn't know everything, they wouldn't have known exactly what the weird phrases were for.  Their Spidey senses would have tingled but they wouldn't have known exactly.  Yeah, they knew *something* was happening at the secret gatherings, but if someone hadn't blabbed all, they wouldn't have known exactly what was up.  I do think there were too many advantages and trickery, but also think they could have played better if people had any clue how to SHUT UP.

After all these years people still keep their traps shut about finding a HII. So I’m holding out little hope that these people can SHUT UP……..about anything! LOL!!!

• Love 1

In a best case scenario, all three phrases are said one time at one immunity challenge. People think that they are strange and wonder what is up.

Allies of the person saying whatever weird phrase ask what the hell it was all about. That person lies to them and probably raises flags because people don't discuss goats on astro turf and then hear about butterflies being the souls of dead people and then broccoli looking weird. Alliance mates now don't trust said person and that person is more easily targeted in their smaller tribe. If the person is honest and says what is up, the person becomes a target at some point in time because they have an idol.

Non-allies wonder what is up and assumes that the person saying stupid phrase is up to something and targets said person. If they are smart, they realize that said person might have an idol or advantage so they target an ally of that person instead, while in smaller groups, and then the individual in question at the merge. 

Either way, the stupid phrase places a target on someone. 

And that target could easily screw you over if all three phrases are not said because you lose your vote until all three are active. 

The phrases should have been something specific but game related like "We have lots of green coconuts at our beach." or "The red crabs are really yummy" something slightly weird to say at an immunity challenge but that can stand out and sound some what normal. 

• Love 4

I’m wondering what the show will do for S43 regarding idols.  I don’t see how they can do the phrase thing since contestants would already know about it (assuming they watched S41 and 42).  I wonder sometimes if TPTB overload a season like this with idols and advantages to see what works and what doesn’t.  But really everything was a bust.  Liana’s advantage was memorable because it blew up in her face, but that’s only because Shan blabbed.  No idols even got played excepts Xander’s, and it didn’t even matter.

• Love 1

Xander's threat to play an idol did save Evvie and send Sydney home, so I guess it had some impact. And it did keep Xander safe at the Tiffany and Evvie votes. I think it was Tiffany's vote that Ricard was trying to get Xander to play his idol but Xander held on to it. Xander might have been a target at the Evvie vote had he played his idol. 

Xander's idol acted as a shield and then no one seemed to care about it any more because Xander didn't have a chance at developing numbers that were meaningful to the other alliances. 

• Love 1
On 12/18/2021 at 2:19 PM, LanceM said:

Also, it says in the description that Heather flew up to Toronto to be with her at this event (though she doesn't appear in the video)

Oh, poor Heather. Edited out there too!

• LOL 8
1 minute ago, cherrypj said:

Oh, poor Heather. Edited out there too!

Although there's some good (and bad) news to go along with that.  Apparently, there was another finale event that several members of the cast attended...then contracted Covid.  Since Heather was at Erika's event in Canada, neither of them were infected.

4 hours ago, jdunlop said:

Earl Cole (Winner, Fiji) was on Shark Tank (1/7/21) with his new venture, Smart Tire.  Unfortunately, he and his partner left without a deal.

Yet still did better than Chris Underwood's stupid Kickstarter.

• LOL 1
16 hours ago, jdunlop said:

Earl Cole (Winner, Fiji) was on Shark Tank (1/7/21) with his new venture, Smart Tire.  Unfortunately, he and his partner left without a deal.

It may not be that unfortunate. A friend of a colleague of mine was on the UK version (Dragons' Den) and he and his partners went on simply to get exposure for their business. They never intended to sell any part of it to one of the "dragons".* I suspect they aren't the only ones who use the show like that.

*ETA: And I believe this to be true because this was what my colleague had been told before they even taped their episode.

Edited by Hera
To add more context
  • Useful 2

RHAP did a very good interview with Ricard. I think Rob should add him as a co-host, he's that interesting. 

Lots of revelations I didn't expect about what we didn't see. Definitely worth a listen, and I wouldn't say that about most postseason interviews. 

Warning : it's almost 3 hours long! I haven't finished it yet. But highly entertaining and educational. 

Edited by Melina22
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Melina22 said:

Lots of revelations I didn't expect about what we didn't see. Definitely worth a listen, and I wouldn't say that about most postseason interviews. 

Could you maybe recap the biggest ones? I have no desire to actually listen to 3 hours of rhap but I am curious lol.

• Love 2

Well, I'm only one hour in and my memory is murky already. One of the biggest surprises for me was that Ricard immediately bonded with Shan from the very start and thought of her as his best friend. He thinks she's a wonderful person but maybe too empathetic and emotional for the game. When he saw her briefly in Ponderosa they hashed things out and then spent a fantastic day together. He says he was so thrilled to be back with his best friend he didn't realize they were ignoring the others. After all this, he's uncertain about their friendship status right now. 

JD made their team absolutely crazy, wanting to be the star of everything but then never coming through. 

He talks about how stressful it was to see his story arc, where most of what he did wasn't shown at first, but in the end he's happy with his arc. He talks about how awful it was, living on the West coast, seeing all the responses to his gameplay online before he actually got to see the episode. 

He talks a lot about "Come on in guys" and how what we saw isn't really what happened. 

He's just so articulate, self-aware and funny. Big surprise for me. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I’m about two hours into the deep dive. Other things covered not mentioned above:

- Ricard really liked Sara but had to let her go to appease Shan.

- Had he not won immunity at final 12, he still thinks he would have made it through that vote and that Shan would have played her idol on hmm.

- He doesn’t know why Luvu always wanted Erika out towards the beginning of the merge.

- During the emotional aired conversation between himself and Shan at final 8, Shan told him that they could come for each other at final 7, which was the next day!

- The vote flipped on Sydney quite easily at final 12 because someoneconvinced him and the others that Sydney was playing double agent and knew about the knowledge is power advantage, which makes no sense in retrospect. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I can not remember a Sara at all lol.

I can not remember Ricard either. The second Survivor or BB is over, I have no idea who these people are anymore. 😅

• LOL 7
1 hour ago, himela said:

I can not remember Ricard either. The second Survivor or BB is over, I have no idea who these people are anymore

I'm increasingly having this problem with Survivor and BB. I did remember both Ricard and Shan, but as he discussed various tribe members I found myself Googling their names to see their face, because I forgot that fast. 

Thanks for continuing to watch jsm1125. I don't know when I'll be able to get to the rest of the podcast, so I'm as curious as anyone. 😁

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Sara was the first person voted out. She seemed nice enough but did not do well in the challenge. I can see why she was cut. 

Putting on my "Well Actually" hat to say that Sara was the second person voted out. So I guess Abraham is even more forgettable than she is.

19 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

Putting on my "Well Actually" hat to say that Sara was the second person voted out. So I guess Abraham is even more forgettable than she is.

LOL ok, so I forgot about Abraham…

• LOL 1

I don’t think I’ll ever forget Ricard but I sure as heck didn’t remember Sara or Abraham.  In fact I couldn’t even tell you who any of the pre merge boots were last season.  I think earlier seasons are easier to remember early boots because those people actually got airtime.  

I never thought about contestants on the West Coast seeing on social media reactions to their game play and the episode, and not really knowing what went down.  That would be hard, especially if it’s a negative reaction.

• Love 2

I just watched Evvie’s and Ricardo’s deep with RHAP and they both mentioned the name Sara in passing and I had no clue who (Sara) they were talking about. Now, I couldn’t say what she sounded like or what her storyline was but I only recall her by her by the tribe press pictures. I did remember Abraham’s name only because in exit interviews no one said a positive thing about him. Apparently, he was voted out because people couldn’t stand him and they just wanted him gone. It must have been really bad if everyone said they couldn’t stand him and it was the only reason he was voted out and didn’t even want to use him as a goat. LOL!!!!

Edited by ByaNose
1 minute ago, jsm1125 said:

Ricard did not have good things to say about JD, who he found to be all talk but delivered little. 

I had forgotten that and I just watched the interview yesterday. LOL!!! Yeah, he really didn’t like him in the least. It’s funny because I thought JD had he stayed longer in the game would have been edited a hero. He certainly got an early edit in that direction. Of course, it could have been only Ricard who had a problem with him in general but I did agree about his assessment that JD was a big talker but never delivered. That said, I think Ricard and Shan’s game were so overexposed that I can’t imagine that they’d get very far playing. I know it’s happened before but their edit was so big that I can’t imagine a fellow returnee wanting to work with him and especially Shan. 

1 hour ago, jsm1125 said:

Ricard did not have good things to say about JD, who he found to be all talk but delivered little. 

I mean, we all saw that. Was there an actual challenge that JD performed well in? He participated in everything like he was hot shit and came up short every time, which was part of the reason the green tribe was decimated. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Hmmmmm, maybe they could just stay off social media until the episode airs in their time zones?

…and maybe if that heroin addict could  keep that needle out of his arm for just three more hours…  😁

• LOL 4

Listening to Ricard's RHAP and it is interesting. 

Shan apparently is far more charismatic then we all thought. Listening to Ricard talk, Shan had everyone on her side and was loved by others. I have not listened to many of the conversations so I am not sure how true that is.

Ricard didn't think he could beat Shan if they got to the finals together. I did laugh when he said that he and Shan were skilled enough to make it to the finals together. Yeah, I don't think so. Everyone saw Shan and Ricard as too strong a pair to let stay in the game together. 

2 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Listening to Ricard's RHAP and it is interesting. 

Shan apparently is far more charismatic then we all thought. Listening to Ricard talk, Shan had everyone on her side and was loved by others. I have not listened to many of the conversations so I am not sure how true that is.

Ricard didn't think he could beat Shan if they got to the finals together. I did laugh when he said that he and Shan were skilled enough to make it to the finals together. Yeah, I don't think so. Everyone saw Shan and Ricard as too strong a pair to let stay in the game together. 

I call BS on that.  Ricard seems to be a Shan-apologist and has to oversell how wonderful she is.  Sorry, but I wouldn't enjoy being around her for more than 10 minutes.  To me, she is very manipulative, fake and in awe of herself.

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I call BS on that.  Ricard seems to be a Shan-apologist and has to oversell how wonderful she is.  Sorry, but I wouldn't enjoy being around her for more than 10 minutes.  To me, she is very manipulative, fake and in awe of herself.

And yet Brad, Genie, and JD would all tell you that Shan was an ally and their number one. And she was able to forge a strong alliance with Liana in the short time they had on the island together, strong enough to sink Liana's alliance with the yellow tribe. So there are at least 5 people who played the game who had a strong relationship with Shan. Strong enough that JD gave her his immunity idol and Brad told her every advantage he held. 

I did not like Shan's game, I did not like Shan as a player. I thought she was massively controlling but there is some strong evidence that she had good relationships with a lot of people out there. 

That said, Ricard is also clear that Shan is fragile, my word not his. It sounds like she is not talking to Ricard right now for reasons that he doesn't know. He assumes that she is upset with her edit on the show and that the viewing of the series reopened wounds from the taping. 

I am just listening to the RHAP interviews so I don't know if other people echo Ricard's feelings

• Love 1
On 1/16/2022 at 6:33 PM, tracyscott76 said:

OK, so listening to Evvies longer RHAP and Abraham and Sara were the first person voted off for their tribes. And I am pretty sure that they were voted out after the first challenge, so they were both first votes off. Maybe Abraham counts as the first because yellow tribe voted before green tribe but they were both the first off after the first tribal. They were both voted out on day 3. 

https://survivor.fandom.com/wiki/Survivor_41 

1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

And yet Brad, Genie, and JD would all tell you that Shan was an ally and their number one. And she was able to forge a strong alliance with Liana in the short time they had on the island together, strong enough to sink Liana's alliance with the yellow tribe. So there are at least 5 people who played the game who had a strong relationship with Shan. Strong enough that JD gave her his immunity idol and Brad told her every advantage he held. 

I know people like that who are masterfully skilled at making you think you're their number one.  It's quite a skill but if you see if from a birds-eye view, you see they're just fabulous at manipulating and charming the idols and commitments right out of whoever they need to and is useful to them.  I get that it's a game but so many have succeeded on Survivor without coming across quite as massively fake and disingenuous as she did.  I will never be a Shan fan.  If I were in her church, I would run the other direction.  Last I'll say as this was a comment on the Ricard interview, but has strayed away from Survivor in the Media.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 3

I'm curious to know why people care about how people are in real life 3 months after the game is over and since this information was not obvious or useful in the game. I mean, Rob does it because this is his main job, why do people listen to it?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, himela said:

I'm curious to know why people care about how people are in real life 3 months after the game is over and since this information was not obvious or useful in the game. I mean, Rob does it because this is his main job, why do people listen to it?

Because it is interesting. Because the players can tell us about things that happened that we didn't see. Because the players can tell us about misplaced conversations. Because I find it interesting how they approached the game. 

• Love 7

There aren't many options for post-game interviews anymore, and when contestants are first voted off I think they have to be more reserved in their answers so they don't give anything away.  It really depends on the contestant as to whether I would give something like this a listen, but for me I also like hearing in depth discussions of their time in the game.  It's also nice in this format, because if they say something of interest Rob can get them to further elaborate on it.  In another interview they may just move onto the next question.  I also have found I sometimes get a different impression of contestants, too.

I have noticed that Ricard seems to like to talk about his time in the game and will talk with whoever will listen.  I don't know if he really just likes to talk, or if he wanted to really discuss what happened in the game because he feels it wasn't accurately portrayed (which, what else is new?)  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I did not like Shan's game, I did not like Shan as a player. I thought she was massively controlling but there is some strong evidence that she had good relationships with a lot of people out there. 

A minor clarification, if I may: there is strong evidence a lot of people THOUGHT they had strong relationships with Shan - but by Shan’s own admission, those relationships extended only as long as those people were of benefit to her.   This is evidence only of Shan's strong manipulation skills, not of strong relationships.

11 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

That said, Ricard is also clear that Shan is fragile, my word not his. It sounds like she is not talking to Ricard right now for reasons that he doesn't know. He assumes that she is upset with her edit on the show and that the viewing of the series reopened wounds from the taping. 

IMHO little more than evidence of further manipulation on Shan’s part, even after the game is over.   Could someone drop Shan a telegram and let her know this season is done already?

8 hours ago, jsm1125 said:

I think the deep dives give players a chance to explain their thoughts and rationale at each vote of the game, as the 10-15 minute exit interviews don't leave that much time.

Personally I don’t have a whole lot of use for these deep dives this long after the season has aired, because all too often rationale devolves into rationalization.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

There aren't many options for post-game interviews anymore, and when contestants are first voted off I think they have to be more reserved in their answers so they don't give anything away.  It really depends on the contestant as to whether I would give something like this a listen, but for me I also like hearing in depth discussions of their time in the game.  It's also nice in this format, because if they say something of interest Rob can get them to further elaborate on it.  In another interview they may just move onto the next question.  I also have found I sometimes get a different impression of contestants, too.

I have noticed that Ricard seems to like to talk about his time in the game and will talk with whoever will listen.  I don't know if he really just likes to talk, or if he wanted to really discuss what happened in the game because he feels it wasn't accurately portrayed (which, what else is new?)  

The initial interviews are very limited in what they can say and in the length of time that they have to talk. 

5 hours ago, Nashville said:

Personally I don’t have a whole lot of use for these deep dives this long after the season has aired, because all too often rationale devolves into rationalization.

I listen to the ones that I want to as background noise when I am working on something that doesn't require a ton of concentration or while I am playing a game or something like that. I don't pay rapt attention to them. I am not a huge music person. I run the TV or have an audio book on or something like that as background noise. 

That said, it is pretty easy to see who is revising history and who is explaining things from how they saw them. I would listen to a JD interview for the laughs because his narration of the game in his talking heads was so different then what we were seeing. Xander's would be fascinating to me for because he really did see the game differently then everyone else did but I think the reasons for that are different then JD's. 

Ricard's discussion of why Xander got no votes was pretty interesting. And Evvie, I am half way through her talk, gets at the fact that Xander's sincerity was so sincere that people didn't trust him. And we did hear people say that during the game. Ricard and Evvie did both say that there were times that they know now that Xander was being sincere that they didn't trust in the game. 

• Love 1