Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor In The Media

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, ozziemom said:

Yes, definitely, they have a regular group of listeners who call in weekly and they are entertaining too. They have a lovely interaction with each other, I usually listen to them just before bed. I still love Rob and his podcasts but they are more strategies and game play. Can’t wait for the new season!

Also the weekly predictions game is fun too. Gives you something extra to watch for.

Stacy used to be really dismissive and domineering with Joanne but he’s toned it down in recent seasons. I was SO happy to see JABBIC pop up in my podcasts this week!  

im disappointed by the shorter timeframe but happy to have ANY Survivor back!

• Love 2

I'm not sure this is the place to comment on the new players, please transfer if it's not.

So I finally got a first look at the players. Maybe it's because I'm really mad with how BB 23 went and how so many good players played very bad and/or were screwed by yet another big alliance, I didn't like most of these Survivor 41 players based on their bios. I mean, almost all of them (say they) are social, confident, hard working and competitive. I didn't see ONE person who is more introverted or more low key. I think the fact that the game lasts 1/3 less days this time and it being harder, as they have said, made the producers choose strong competitors and people with "big personalities" who will all try to be the boss and argue with one another. I know a bio means nothing but right now I think I only like 2-3 people. I have to choose a winner pick for the fantasy league I play in and I am sad to say that I hate most men in the cast but I find myself obligated to choose a male winner because lets be real, with the game being tougher than other times I think the men will make a big bro alliance and dominate. I hate it. Pff any other disappointed people in here?

• Love 3
8 hours ago, himela said:

I'm not sure this is the place to comment on the new players, please transfer if it's not.

So I finally got a first look at the players. Maybe it's because I'm really mad with how BB 23 went and how so many good players played very bad and/or were screwed by yet another big alliance, I didn't like most of these Survivor 41 players based on their bios. I mean, almost all of them (say they) are social, confident, hard working and competitive. I didn't see ONE person who is more introverted or more low key. I think the fact that the game lasts 1/3 less days this time and it being harder, as they have said, made the producers choose strong competitors and people with "big personalities" who will all try to be the boss and argue with one another. I know a bio means nothing but right now I think I only like 2-3 people. I have to choose a winner pick for the fantasy league I play in and I am sad to say that I hate most men in the cast but I find myself obligated to choose a male winner because lets be real, with the game being tougher than other times I think the men will make a big bro alliance and dominate. I hate it. Pff any other disappointed people in here?

Yeah.  I've never looked at the profiles in advance before, but did this time for some reason.  I already hate a few of the players, so I quit looking at the rest of the profiles.  I have to have someone to root for and if I hate all of them in advance, it will be harder.  It'll be better to learn to hate them as we go.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

First episode recap from Reality Blurred. Here’s the opening paragraph:

Jeff Probst used the year when Survivor was not in production and off the air to reimagine and rethink this 21-year-old franchise. What was evident throughout Survivor 41’s two-hour premiere was that his long journey of exploration ended with him trekking several miles further up his own ass, but the format is strong enough to withstand even that.

Andy is already fed up, and I can’t blame him.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, himela said:

I had forgotten about Stephen Fishbach and the obsession Rob has with him. I will wait until Taran makes a podcast for Survivor because I hate Fishbach as much as I hate all Rob's friends.

@himela I just watched Taran on YouTube do a Survivor stock watch like he does for BB. It was two hours but very interesting and since I like Taran, I really enjoyed it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/24/2021 at 7:27 AM, ozziemom said:

@himela I just watched Taran on YouTube do a Survivor stock watch like he does for BB. It was two hours but very interesting and since I like Taran, I really enjoyed it. 

I listened to this podcast and I can't describe how much I loved it. Taran brought up EVERYTHING that happened before the episode, during the episode, in secret scenes and on social media. He explained everything with such detail, things I had missed (maybe because of the language not being my mother language) and he made me remember all players, what they did, what they did wrong, how they were edited and why and where it seems they are going from here. I suggest everyone listens to this podcast and thank you for recommending it :)

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

I love how Survivor and BB have a far better track record of facilitating long term relationships and marriages than any of the shows like The Bachelor, Bachelorette, and a million others. 😁

I feel like if I ever did one of these shows, I'd wind up on the rare season where everyone hates each other and ghosts each other when we get home lol  But maybe it's a CBS thing, because The Amazing Race also has had close casts.  I was most surprised Joe and Sierra weren't there, as I always thought they were super close with Mike.

I heard someone say once that if you want to really find a soulmate, go on Survivor or Big Brother.  If you want IG followers and to be the lead on your own show, go on The Bachelor/ette.  I don't really disagree with that.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

For those who are both Survivor and Big Brother fans, S30 winner Mike Holloway married former Big Brother contestant Meg Maley last weekend.  Here’s a photo of some of the Survivor and BB alums who attended.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUa0VdCLV2d/?utm_medium=copy_link

I have no idea who these people are. I never remember faces or names. I remember when I first met my cousin's boyfriend, we spent an hour talking and then I saw him passing on the street, he waved at me, I had no idea who he was and he said to my cousin that I'm weird :P

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, himela said:

I have no idea who these people are. I never remember faces or names. I remember when I first met my cousin's boyfriend, we spent an hour talking and then I saw him passing on the street, he waved at me, I had no idea who he was and he said to my cousin that I'm weird :P

I'm the opposite where I'm really good at remembering faces and names, even from people I haven't seen in 20 years.  I had a girl that I was sort of friends with in high school wait on me at a restaurant, and while it took me a minute to remember who she was, she clearly didn't remember me.  I won't lie that sometimes I feel weird about that, even though it's normal that not everyone is good at remembering faces and names. 

The people in the backrow, for those who can't remember, are Survivor alums Missy (S29), Carolyn, Kelly, Max (S30), Andrea (S22/26), Brice (S28), Wendell (S36), and Keith (S29).  Front row are all Big Brother alums, I think from Meg's season: Johnny Mac, Jeff, Jackie, Jason, Becky, and April from S6.

22 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

Now there's a couple that totally blindsided me. I never would have pictured them together, but I guess I would have been wrong! 

I'm kind of not surprised they got together, but Sierra at least seems more level headed than Joe and his wild conspiracy theory posts.  So while they are super in love now, if Joe keeps going down that dark black hole of whatever it is he posts about, I wonder if they'll last.  It did seem weird where he went from Kelly Wiglesworth who, despite their political differences, did seem more his speed, right to Sierra once it become clear the whole Mana TV show thing he was trying to do with Kelly didn't work out.  

5 hours ago, Melina22 said:

I love how Survivor and BB have a far better track record of facilitating long term relationships and marriages than any of the shows like The Bachelor, Bachelorette, and a million others. 😁

Rob and Amber are the best reality couple. I remember speculation that their romance was just for tv and now they are married with four daughters who look like Amber.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Looks like he thinks Xander was in on it.

I’m starting to wonder.  It would have made sense for Evvie to give Xander a heads up and try to prevent any bad feelings.  While I do question her decisions this week, she doesn’t seem completely stupid to realize she may need Xander down the road.  

• Love 1

This is about Michelle Yi from Survivor Fiji.  Murtz has pics of Michelle with what looks like stitches in her eyebrow and a black eye in this same Twitter thread (so while it isn't super graphic just a fair warning if you go to his twitter account).  The person who attacked her has been caught.  

On 10/17/2021 at 11:06 PM, LadyChatts said:

This is about Michelle Yi from Survivor Fiji.  Murtz has pics of Michelle with what looks like stitches in her eyebrow and a black eye in this same Twitter thread (so while it isn't super graphic just a fair warning if you go to his twitter account).  The person who attacked her has been caught.  

The article I read described it as a mentally ill person acting erratic and hitting cars with a metal pipe, in addition to the attack on Michelle. So not sure where this person is getting the anti-Asian hate crime part, that's an inflammatory statement to make without corroboration or details. 

How awful and scary for Michelle though, hope she has a full and speedy recovery.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

The article I read described it as a mentally ill person acting erratic and hitting cars with a metal pipe, in addition to the attack on Michelle. So not sure where this person is getting the anti-Asian hate crime part, that's an inflammatory statement to make without corroboration or details. 

How awful and scary for Michelle though, hope she has a full and speedy recovery.

I think it was speculation at that point, and in the People article even Michelle says she didn't know if the attack was race related (given what we know now I am guessing this was someone who is just mentally ill and didn't know what she was doing).  We'll see.  

Just now, LadyChatts said:
1 hour ago, ljenkins782 said:

Expand  

I think it was speculation at that point, and in the People article even Michelle says she didn't know if the attack was race related (given what we know now I am guessing this was someone who is just mentally ill and didn't know what she was doing).  We'll see.  

In the People article linked above, they note that the woman attacked two other people, one also Asian, the other a "person of color", and Michelle says that while she can't prove that it was racially motivated, the woman was saying "all kinds of awful things." So while it's still speculation and may turn out to just be a random attack by a mentally ill person, Murtz's comment didn't come out of nowhere.

1 hour ago, ljenkins782 said:

7 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

In the People article linked above, they note that the woman attacked two other people, one also Asian, the other a "person of color", and Michelle says that while she can't prove that it was racially motivated, the woman was saying "all kinds of awful things." So while it's still speculation and may turn out to just be a random attack by a mentally ill person, Murtz's comment didn't come out of nowhere.

What TracyScott76 said. The woman attacked three people, all were minorities and two were Asian. It sounds like the person was mentally imbalanced but there is room for mentally imbalanced and racist. 

• Love 4

You know, I have watched every episode of this show from the beginning and yet I have forgotten hundreds of Survivor contestants.  Every All-Star season there is at least one and usually more than one Survivor I can't tell from a hole in the ground. 

But Michelle Yi! As soon as Mr Rat pulled me in to see the teaser for the story on the news, I remembered her INSTANTLY.  The FIRST Survivor to ever make fire with her glasses!  And one of too many to get kicked off with one of Survivor's famous "let's just throw everyone a curveball" twists - that she got kicked off RIGHT after a challenge, without being given the chance to schmooze and maneuver back at camp.  So stupid since I believe she must have been a fan favorite, not just with this fan.  And like the whole awful Haves vs Have-Nots premise of the whole awful Fiji season, that oh-so-clever twist was never repeated.  This was the season that gave us Earl and Yau-Man, but also Dreamz and Lisi and ROCKY(!!**BARF**!!!) and the biblically epic blindside of Edgardo, Alex and Mookie.

I'm just saying I found her a LOT more memorable than many Survivors that the producers have thought to be fan favorites.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 4

Yeah Michelle was definitely one of the first in a long line of players who got totally screwed by a twist. She also gave us one of the all time funny Survivor moments (funny of course because she didn't get hurt)

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Erik goes for multiple panels this week. Apparently, I can’t embed Instagram here. Remember to swipe for each panel.

While I’m here . . . should I keep posting the strips here in the Media thread, or do that in the appropriate episode threads?

Easier to find them if they're all in one thread, I suppose. Though is there a law that says you can't do both? Wouldn't exactly be spamming if there's only one a week.

On 9/30/2021 at 3:21 PM, himela said:

Really? That seems like a terrifying condition to never be able to remember anybody. Have you ever gone to a doctor about it?

Edited by le bordel chaud
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, le bordel chaud said:

Really? That seems like a terrifying condition to never be able to remember anybody. Have you ever gone to a doctor about it?

I don't see it as "a condition". I just don't pay attention to people because mostly I don't care :P

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, le bordel chaud said:

5 hours ago, himela said:

I don't see it as "a condition". I just don't pay attention to people because mostly I don't care :P

Different people are wired differently - like me, for example:

• Numbers I can remember, zero problem; doesn’t matter if it’s a phone number, a dollar amount - get it in my head, and it’s not leaving any time soon.  I still remember the phone numbers of places I worked and people I knew back in the 80s.
  • Faces?  I’m pretty good with them; not near as good as numbers, but if I see you again within the next year or so I’ll probably recognize you.
  • Names?  Fuhgeddaboudit.  If I’m not using your name on a daily or near-daily basis for a month or more, it’s not going to stick.  Used to give me problems all the time back in my college dating days; I’d recall a girl’s phone number and the face that went with it, but I couldn’t tell you her name if it meant a firing squad.  Can’t tell you how many dates I went through from start to end without knowing who - repeat dates, even.
  • LOL 2

'Survivor' winner slams the show for forcing contestants to continue competing in their underwear after 41 seasons: 'Give them some dignity'

https://www.insider.com/survivor-winner-slams-show-for-no-swimsuits-underwear-only-2021-10

"Shallow said she was told that production felt it was "more authentic-looking for people to be in their underwear.""

Oh please.  Survivor never looks authentic.  Unless it is usual for people who are stranded on an island get to go to reward feasts or have visits from family members.

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 6

I've heard similar complaints from both fans and former contestants that they should at least let them wear bathing suits (which I don't disagree with).  I'm actually fine with letting them go back to the early days where they can bring a small set of clothes to change into.  However, people know what they are getting into.  I don't need Parvati planting a seed in Probst's head and have him ask the group 'so, how does running around in your underwear make you feel?'

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I doubt there are very many viewers who enjoy seeing contestants run around in dirty, saggy underwear. And it's causing UTI's among female contestants. But they insist they won't go back to bathing suits. Evidently it was Tyler Perry's idea back in 2018. THAT FIGURES.

Edited by kassandra8286
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I don't need Parvati planting a seed in Probst's head and have him ask the group 'so, how does running around in your underwear make you feel?'

So using the term "guys" is not okay, but making everyone live in their underwear is?  They need to decide which way to go with their "sensitivity", and with their concern with contestants' health and feelings as well.

• Love 10

I remember a time when the contestants regretted wearing jeans because once they became wet and sandy you were screwed. Then I think it became more about bathing suites after a few days. I’m not really sure when (which season) it was totally underwear though. It is dumb. They can stay color coded but at least give them bathing suits and shorts. I don’t recall anyone watching being upset what with people wear. Occasionally, it seemed that some were allowed long sleeves and hoodies but in general they were dressed. 

• Love 1

The problem is they did "only the clothes on your backs" for the first time in Pearl Islands, which turned out to be popular, then did it again the next two times in Palau and China, which both turned out to be very popular seasons. Then when they started giving them colour-coded wardrobes so you could tell the tribes apart (that's what the buffs are for, producers) it evolved into "this outfit is all you get" and now we're stuck here.

• Love 2

I have noticed that whenever Boston Rob (and other former players) comes back, he never has to wear underwear (he wears his shorts and swimsuit).  I bet he (and others) has it written into his contracts.

I would so prefer seeing clothes and swimsuits as I'm not watching hoping for an underwear slip or the blurring of the nether regions.  I actually like watching the wear and tear of their regular clothes as times goes on.

• Love 8