Type keyword(s) to search

Nashville in the Media

All I could think was the writers are even lazier than we imagined.

In what way?  Hayden just came out with this ten months after her child was born.  Actually, the writers were way ahead of her.

• Love 1

In what way?  Hayden just came out with this ten months after her child was born.  Actually, the writers were way ahead of her.

How so? She is coming out with it now and seeking treatment. That doesn't mean it just happened now.

According to People, Juliette's PPD storyline was developed long before Hayden gave birth. So, it's good to know that the producers didn't see what she was going through in real life and decide to use that in the show. That would have been awful, IMO.

I feel terrible for Hayden, but I'm so glad she's getting the help she needs.

• Love 1
Hollywood Reporter is saying today that they are going to incorporate this into Juliette's storyline as well.

Not being insensitive here, but that would definitely work for the story line. If Hayden needs that time to get well, having Juliette enter some sort of program for postpartum depression allowing her time off the show should work.

• Love 2

This might be a stupid question, and I don't know if this is the right thread to ask it in, and I hope it doesn't come across as insensitive or anything, but:

Does anyone here know how the shooting schedule on Nashville works? IOW, how many episodes in advance of the ones that are being shown are generally already on the shelf (although they might of course be tweaked in various ways before broadcast)? The Hollywood Reporter article states that the producers are "adapting" to this situation, but that it is "too soon to tell if production on the ABC country music drama will have to make any further adjustments", which is terribly vague (understandable, given the circumstances). There are all kinds of ways TV series can keep characters alive whose actors have, for whatever reason, suddenly become unavailable for at least a while - have other characters constantly mention them, have them talk to them on the phone, that kind of thing. But how much you can change a character's storyline to "adapt" depends a lot on what the delay is between already recorded material and what is broadcast, it seems to me. I know that here in Europe for some daily soap operas for instance it's often remarkably short, on the order of one or two weeks at the most, which makes it very difficult when something serious happens to an actor who portrays a central character to try and work their sudden absence into the plot. OTOH, a weekly drama with a set number of episodes for a season might already be for most practical purposes finished before the first episode airs. I was just wondering how it works on a US show like this.

Hollywood Reporter is saying today that they are going to incorporate this into Juliette's storyline as well.

Does anyone here know how the shooting schedule on Nashville works? IOW, how many episodes in advance of the ones that are being shown are generally already on the shelf (although they might of course be tweaked in various ways before broadcast)?

The Hollywood Reporter article states that the producers are "adapting" to this situation, but that it is "too soon to tell if production on the ABC country music drama will have to make any further adjustments",.... But how much you can change a character's storyline to "adapt" depends a lot on what the delay is between already recorded material and what is broadcast, it seems to me. .

They're filming episode 8 and episode 4 aired tonight.  So they could be four weeks between filming and airing but I suspect we'll get a few repeats this fall so it may be five or six weeks.  Obviously, they're further ahead with the writing.

As for how they're 'adapting' to the situation, I'm guessing it won't be that hard.  I'll put the next bit in spoilers even though they kind of spilled the beans to the Hollywood Reporter.

The reason it can become a part of Juliette's story is because they were already sending her to rehab in episode 8.  I don't know if it's going to be for the drugs/alcohol situation she has going on or if it's going to be for PPD but much like the PPD story was planned before Hayden gave birth, the rehab story was in place before Hayden checked herself in for treatment.  The biggest flexibility, in all probability, will be adjusting their filming schedule.

Thanks for the answers. So it seems that it won't be that difficult to do this "adapting", in a way that would probably not even be noticeable to someone who just watches a show and doesn't keep up with news about actors.

I'd like to add an observation from my own personal experience here. As someone who's struggled with severe depression over long stretches of time, I'd like to point out that being depressed doesn't means someone is suddenly stupid, or irresponsible. The rational part of your brain remains in full working order - that's part of the problem: you know you, objectively, really have no reason to feel the way you do, or act the way you do, but that doesn't seem to make any difference. So I think it's quite possible that Hayden picked this moment to seek this kind of help, having decided that she needed to do so much earlier, exactly because she knows that because of the already-planned storyline and the already-shot material, at this point in time she could do so causing minimal disruption. Even severely depressed people can be quite methodical in some things.

Note: this is nothing more than a personal hypothesis about how this timing might have happened, I obviously have absolutely zero information about the real situation.

Edited by SailingBy
  • Love 2

Hayden Panettiere's dad was quoted in a periodical today that "Hayden will be fine", and that she's taking time off at a rehab center in Malibu. He said she thinks she'll be there about a month. He also noted -- I think the periodical was "Life and Family weekly" or something like that-- that she has been dealing with her condition for weeks and getting out patient treatment during that period of time prior to voluntarily seeking in patient treatment.

So given the long winter break ahead for the show, if those timelines bear out, wouldn't think it would impact the show...

Have no idea how filming tv shows works, but if she's back at work by mid/late Nov, wondering if they couldn't film her scenes then and insert them as needed into those later episodes? Again, no idea how late they can film scenes then insert them into an otherwise completed show, so just curious. Am sure that would be very challenging for writers/editors...

Not sure if the article is true (and I did read it), but I do hope she's doing well. 

I'd think "adjusting" means they would film her scenes whenever she becomes available (if at all) and do whatever editing magic they have to in order to make it work.

I thought she was semi joking and semi kid serious. When Lennon then goes on to say one drink doesn't make you an alcoholic, Maisy looks shocked, saying something like "you think that's OK??" She's just a kid. In her mind it wouldn't be surprising for it to be suuuuuupper bad for a teenager to steal booze.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1

One person's perspective, and I don't exactly see E, as the Class of entertainment sites.

You could pretty much say the same about all entertainment "news" sites! They are silly-shilly. And this one is owned by NBC, thus no NBC shows on the list. But it's interesting, nevertheless, to see the reasons for choosing the shows. Just a different take.

I'd be OK with Nashville ending. Free Connie Britton and the others up to do something else. What this show has become is such a disappointment when compared to its first and even second season. If it lived up to its promise and cast, I'd hate to see it go, but it doesn't. Plus it's super boring now. It's this odd mix of both stagnated storylines and storylines that are rushed along and lack depth.

• Love 4

I'm sorry to say but I agree with MM. I don't know if the writers of season #1 and half of season # 2 are the same writers as second half of 2/3/4 and if they are somebody please open the windows in the writers room to get rid of whatever they are sm--king. If these are new writers please pay them to leave and get the old ones back. I was such a fan now come Wednesday at 10:00 record the episode and FF to the only parts I want to watch. (Sorry to say there aren't many).That's sad because I fell in love with the show and was excited to hear country music and wanted to watch a women with guts and power make it in a dominated men's world. Who sank this series it's nothing like it started off to be?

• Love 2

I'm down with this being the last season. It's almost sad to watch an episode from S1 or S2. They were so good. I don't know what happened in that writer's room but something tragic must have taken place. 

I'm there too. I've really been enjoying the repeats on AXS but even those are tainted by knowing what comes later. The first season was soooo good, what happened? 

I haven't reached the super boring stage and I still watch live, mainly for D/R though. But I agree the storylines totally lack depth - they've spread themselves so thin rather than focusing on their core characters and letting the others fill in around them. And many of the stories are drawn out beyond where they should have organically finished. We didn't need two episodes with Deacon and Scarlett in Natchez, we don't need almost a year of Juliette in this odd version of PPD, and while I'm eager to hear the girls sing, Maddie and her Mom have been fighting this battle about her wanting to sing on stage since the first season. Time to talk to you 16-year-old and work out a deal so you both get what you want.

• Love 4

I'm there too. I've really been enjoying the repeats on AXS but even those are tainted by knowing what comes later. The first season was soooo good, what happened? 

I haven't reached the super boring stage and I still watch live, mainly for D/R though. But I agree the storylines totally lack depth - they've spread themselves so thin rather than focusing on their core characters and letting the others fill in around them. And many of the stories are drawn out beyond where they should have organically finished. We didn't need two episodes with Deacon and Scarlett in Natchez, we don't need almost a year of Juliette in this odd version of PPD, and while I'm eager to hear the girls sing, Maddie and her Mom have been fighting this battle about her wanting to sing on stage since the first season. Time to talk to you 16-year-old and work out a deal so you both get what you want.

I don't even know what happened that it apparently got so bad that I'm done with the show because they killed Jeff and I hate what they are doing to Layla. That is how bad it got with me and the show. Both of them were just supposed to be random generic filler characters. They weren't even in the first season.

Layla should have been a background annoyance for Juliette, but perhaps some competition for her regular following. And Jeff should have been the totally business label head. Sharky in the sense that he was all business, but instead they turned him into a real creep. He didn't need to be pure evil to be the bad guy in the music industry and he never should have gone past recurring.

Aubrey has a beautiful voice and seems like a lovely girl. The character of Layla can be irritating because of how the writers have used (or misused) her, but I think it's on the disturbing, destructive side that so many people have trouble separating their vitriol for the character from the real person with feelings who plays her. Aubrey herself has done nothing negative to anyone.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 5

I don't hate Aubrey. I just recognize that she is a very limited actress and that she does not have the singing talent that would merit her getting all this material. She's decidedly inferior to Clare and Lennon when it comes to her voice. When I am saying that I am limiting myself to addressing the technical aspects of it - range, expression, dynamic. I don't factor in that her voice annoys me.

Edited by Telepath
  • Love 1

She's a good singer in the same way that William Shatner is a good actor.

Actually, no, that's an insult to William Shatner.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but I disagree. I don't think that she's the best singer on the show, but she doesn't embarrass herself singing live, which makes her a good enough singer in my books. I enjoy listening to her. I don't like what the writers have done with her character, but I don't like what the writers have done with anyone's character this season.

• Love 2

The girl doesn't need Auto-Tune to sing live. She hits the right notes and I think that she has a strong, clear voice. I didn't say she was excellent; I said she was good. Stating that she's bad over and over is not going to convince those of us who think she's good that she's not. Accept that people have opinions that differ from your own and refrain from insinuating that people who disagree with you are ignorant or delusional.

• Love 8

So many people in this fandom have been so negative here and especially on other boards so it's refreshing to see Clare's article and know that there is a deeper goodness in people and that while something on a silly soap opera may upset us, it's always a worse day for someone else for real reasons.

Bless her.

Edited by airwair
  • Love 5

Yes her message is lovely.

As terrible as Cancer is for adults, certainly, no child should have to endure it!

I truly can't imagine the emotional tole it must sometimes take, on the wonderful medical professionals, who work in Pediatric Onclogy.

As for being a Parent watching your child go thru it, no words!

Reading Clare's reasons for cutting her hair made me cry and also made me a new fan.  Such wise words and a wonderful message to young girls everywhere, besides, she looks beautiful.  Frankly, I think I'm going to like Scarlett a lot better without that huge, honking hank of hair.  I had no idea she had gone through cancer as a child and I'm sure it's made her far more mature and thoughtful than most young people her age.  Lovely story.

• Love 2