Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: WCIA: Fear The Worst

There's a Manbun on this show, too. I think he's making a ramen burrito. He just poured boiling water into a plastic bag. The singing guy is annoying. I kind of like the blonde lady from Massachusetts who's Italian. She's making something with spaghetti noodles.

I am dying of laughter over the ramen noodle guy.

He takes himself so seriously!

• Love 3

When my son was 5 years old, he knew to pour the noodles into the water, not vice versa.

Love the older lady who would just like to cook her husband a good meal before they just shuffle off.

• Love 2

I never saw this show before but I am laughing so much!  The man bun with the jailhouse burrito had me laughing the most.  I also like the girl fixing her hair by looking in the microwave.  The Boston lady has 2 pair of glasses on!!  LOLOLOL

• Love 2

I know enough to know I would not do well on this show, even if I suck as a cook more than they do. Anne screaming at me would just make me more stressed out and apt to screw up worse!

There are a lot of things I can accomplish in the kitchen, but only if I'm not being yelled at or having someone call out how much time I have left. I also think that they should teach them the separate components first, and then work on timing, and how to get three dishes to come together and be ready at the same time. Techniques, recipes, then, work on time management.

• Love 2

I enjoyed the first episode.  So far, most of the people seem like they might actually be who they say they are and they're definitely more interesting than the D level has-beens from last season.  Tyler seemed to be genuinely angry with the woman he sent home but covering it up well.  I noticed that he was rather curt at the end and didn't offer the usual hug.  Otherwise, he seemed to be amused by most of it.  I hope he and Anne don't get into it again.

I suspect the manbun guy might be an aspiring actor.  Parkour is not a job unless you're training for American Ninja Warrior and have some means of support.  He's very good-looking.  I got a kick out of his ramen "burrito."  That's the kind of thing a young guy fooling around with food might come up with.

I say this every season but....................... I wish they'd start with skill drills and basics like they did the first two seasons.  I know they get lessons and practice time behind the scenes but requiring a full dinner that involves breaking down a chicken doesn't make sense for inept neophytes.

• Love 7

The woman who scattered stuff on the floor.. Another cook asked where to put trash, she said she was leaving it on the floor. When Tyler confronted her, she said there's nowhere else to put it. He told her " not on the floor". Now, I get that she was wrong, but his attitude was wrong. You teach people by telling them what to do, not telling them what NOT to do. I had the feeling she was set up, by not having a trash in or enough sink space to function.

At the start of each season, I KNOW I can cook better than these people whom I wouldn't trust to make a sandwich. But then their first task is one that's beyond what I have ever done. Give them something easy. Teach basics - like how to cook a chicken breast, instead of cutting up a whole chicken.

I wanted the finger-licking by the one woman to be addressed. And also I was bothered by the guy who talked about how much he was sweating, then ran his hands through his sweaty hair. Why show that, if they're not going to correct it?

• Love 7

Tyler always strikes me as a jerk on this show. I agree that he could have told that woman where to put things. I always feel bad for those who go home first because they don't seem to get a chance to improve. I also felt bad for the guy who burned his sauce. You know he would have been criticized if he used it or if he left it off. Any multiple reality show famewhores in this cast?

• Love 3

Teach basics - like how to cook a chicken breast, instead of cutting up a whole chicken.

Breaking down a whole chicken on the first challenge was a bit much.  Heck, breaking down chickens was one of the relay components on Top Chef's first episode this season.  Granted, it was an easy leg of the relay for the TC people, but here we're dealing with people who try to tenderize meat with a lemon juicer.

So far I haven't gotten too much of a famewhore vibe off of this lot, except the guy with the back flip trip.  The vibe is much more organic goofy, but it is still early.

• Love 2

If they just taught the basics this show would be boring.  Cooking school 101 offers no possibility of the drama we saw last night. I loved that they had to break down a chicken!  It is not that difficult to do. 

There are no ringers here, clearly!  The burned pancake was hysterical.  How can you not see that is happening right in front of you?  The smell alone should tell the tale.  And then she put it on the plate.  

Tyler was more annoyed that she put the knife on the floor than the garbage, though both were terrible.  The others managed to cook without putting garbage on the floor so there must have been a receptacle.  

It went very fast so I don't remember many dishes at this point but the ramen burrito stands out!  Oh my.  This show is not all that good but I did find myself wishing for 90 minutes so I could see each dish more closely.

Tyler is wet cardboard, to me.   

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3

If they just taught the basics this show would be boring.  Cooking school 101 offers no possibility of the drama we saw last night.

Agree completely, wings707!  Maybe they got rid of the cooking basics when more reality-show-hopefuls/actors came aboard. But I hope they are still getting the instruction.

The pancake was a wonder - how did she not know? And put it on the plate when she had others?  Trying to prove how "worst" she was? Hmm....

The jailhouse burrito was hysterical - loved that it turned out looking like a burrito! Who knew!

As for trash on the floor (how'd I miss that?), I find that just disrespectful and rude. Pile it up on the counter, stash it in a bowl, something.

Edited by SandyToes
  • Love 2

I'm not chef by any means but I have never made anything close to the crap these people make.

Blood Mary Chicken does not sound the least bit appetizing.

Jailhouse Burrito... They probably eat better things than that in jail.

I think the Cafeteria Lady/Hairdresser (Donna?) may make it to the end.

Edited by Chrissytd
  • Love 1

Random thoughts:

Fewer wacky casting choices = Good Thing.  As always, I wish they didn't do eliminations on the first day.  It defeats the stated whole point of turning the worst cook into the best cook. 

I so want to know what a stay-at-home-wife, notice not a SAHM, who can't cook actually does all day.

Backflipping manbun is annoying as hell.  Equally annoying are the two older women who play into the stereotype of ditzy older ladies.  As an older lady, I have to say it's not cute or endearing.

And as always, Anne should compete on Worst Hairstyles in America, but at least it isn't pink any more.

• Love 8

Did Tyler eliminate the woman whose pancake caught fire or the 1 who put all the crap, including the knife, in the middle of the floor? And what'd the guy who Anne cut do?

It's hard to remember who's who the first week & I'm going by voices as it is; due to medical issues I can't physically sit up most of the time or without help now, & I also can't comfortably lie on the side of my body where I can see the TV. I just remember Tyler said his cut was between the lady who set the pancake on fire & the lady who could've hurt someone 'cause she put the knife & trash on the floor, & Anne didn't make any comments about her cut--what he did/cooked--that really helped me narrow down who he was (& his name didn't help since it was Ep 1).

Did Tyler eliminate the woman whose pancake caught fire or the 1 who put all the crap, including the knife, in the middle of the floor? And what'd the guy who Anne cut do?

Tyler eliminated the messy one, the same people that made Bloody Mary chicken. Ann eliminated the guy who cut his finger. Edited by Chrissytd
Backflipping manbun is annoying as hell.  Equally annoying are the two older women who play into the stereotype of ditzy older ladies.  As an older lady, I have to say it's not cute or endearing.

I like the older ladies.  Not a stereotype..  I am a ditzy older lady and so are most of my friends.  Ditzy older ladies (60 or more) who love FoodTv please raise your hands!!

• Love 2

I enjoyed the first episode.  So far, most of the people seem like they might actually be who they say they are and they're definitely more interesting than the D level has-beens from last season.  Tyler seemed to be genuinely angry with the woman he sent home but covering it up well.  I noticed that he was rather curt at the end and didn't offer the usual hug.  Otherwise, he seemed to be amused by most of it.  I hope he and Anne don't get into it again.

ITA, but I thought perhaps he wasn't warmer to her because he didn't find her attractive!  I saw he looked more relaxed and amused this time but interspersed with acting like a twit.  Sometimes his attitude just grates.

I agree that breaking down a chicken seemed too much too soon for supposed worst cooks in America.  Not believable.  I struggled with it myself when I was young and I was never even a worst cook as a kid!  These people act like they can barely boil water or stand up straight much less hold a knife without killing themselves or each other and then we see them slicing a chicken like they've been doing it for months.  Seriously?

I didn't like who went home, but I knew the better looking woman would probably prevail despite almost burning down the kitchen.  But even so I'm already liking this season more than the celebrity version, which just sucked so bad.  Not too many gimmicky people except for the manbun guy.  No Rosie the Riveter types or quirky guys with huge glasses and bow ties either, thankfully.

I like the older ladies.  Not a stereotype..  I am a ditzy older lady and so are most of my friends.  Ditzy older ladies (60 or more) who love FoodTv please raise your hands!!

Ditzy older lady in training here at 57 and a half!

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 4

I finally watched this episode after trying & failing to record it three times, I ended up watching it on the FN web site. Somebody must be trying to tell me something. Anyway, a few random thoughts:

Tyler’s team had to butcher a chicken & cut the kernels off of corn, Anne’s team just had to wrap a piece of pork up & chop some fruit, that seems like a big difference to me, especially butchering the chicken. That's was beyond beginner level.

Did they really leave that woman with the fire at her station to take care of it herself? Are there fire personnel there? What if she couldn't put it out. are they sacrificing safety for drama?

Donna (I think) is deaf in one ear AND needs to wear two pairs of glasses to see? Why would she want to be on this show? Why would they want her on the show? We're going to be subjected to Anne screaming even more than she does already.

• Love 4

ITA, but I thought perhaps he wasn't warmer to her because he didn't find her attractive!  I saw he looked more relaxed and amused this time but interspersed with acting like a twit.  Sometimes his attitude just grates.

I agree that breaking down a chicken seemed too much too soon for supposed worst cooks in America. ................................

I didn't like who went home, but I knew the better looking woman would probably prevail despite almost burning down the kitchen.

I agree that Tyler often acts like a twit.  I think that fairly often during the food truck show but, for some reason, I like him anyway.  I don't think his problem with the woman he sent home had anything to do with her looks.  On his previous season, he hugged a couple people far less attractive.  I think he was genuinely upset with her about the mess and the knife and the way she shrugged it off.  I could be wrong because I obviously can't read his mind but I'm guessing that he gave the woman who started the fire a pass because she didn't do it on purpose and was contrite.  

A couple years ago, I broke down a chicken and had such a hard time and made such a mess that I swore I'd never do it again.  That Christmas my daughter gave me a good quality chef's knife and I realized the problem had been the knife I was using more than incompetence on my part.  Those worst cooks must be using really sharp knives.

Did they really leave that woman with the fire at her station to take care of it herself? Are there fire personnel there? What if she couldn't put it out. are they sacrificing safety for drama?

I wondered at first why neither Anne nor Tyler made any move to do anything about the fire even though they were both up on that balcony.  Anne yelled something about using a sheet tray and I saw an arm reach in with one so I assumed some producer was taking care of it and Anne and Tyler could see him coming to the rescue.

Edited by mlp
  • Love 1

Really Anne, really? You are going to call a contestant Manbun? It's one thing for us to do it, but I'm going to assume most of us aren't spotting whatever the hell is on Anne's head. 

Manbun seemed well versed on the jailhouse burrito, like he's had plenty of practice making it. I wonder if it's a real prison treat?

• Love 3

I agree that Tyler often acts like a twit. I think that fairly often during the food truck show but, for some reason, I like him anyway. I don't think his problem with the woman he sent home had anything to do with her looks. On his previous season, he hugged a couple people far less attractive. I think he was genuinely upset with her about the mess and the knife and the way she shrugged it off. I could be wrong because I obviously can't read his mind but I'm guessing that he gave the woman who started the fire a pass because she didn't do it on purpose and was contrite.

A couple years ago, I broke down a chicken and had such a hard time and made such a mess that I swore I'd never do it again. That Christmas my daughter gave me a good quality chef's knife and I realized the problem had been the knife I was using more than incompetence on my part. Those worst cooks must be using really sharp knives.

I wondered at first why neither Anne nor Tyler made any move to do anything about the fire even though they were both up on that balcony. Anne yelled something about using a sheet tray and I saw an arm reach in with one so I assumed some producer was taking care of it and Anne and Tyler could see him coming to the rescue.

During the elimination, Tyler referenced the fact a producer helped with extinguishing the fire. He told the lady involved something like, if the producer/1 of the producers hadn't helped her with the fire, she would've been in real trouble.

• Love 1

When did they change the team selection process? Anne and Male Chef X used to choose recruits for the other chef's team, i.e., try to foist the worst people off onto the other chef.

It's odd considering how much I used to dislike the guy, but Bobby Flay has been my favorite male judge. Tyler has very little personality and needs to lighten up quite a few notches. Not sure if he was pretend-gagging during the Bloody Mary chicken segment, but I like to think it was real.

I watched in slo-mo, then frame by frame when manbun was doing his flip, because he was wearing some kind of black elastic support belt under his shirt. If you have back problems, dude, maybe forgo the gymnastics.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 1

I watched in slo-mo, then frame by frame when manbun was doing his flip, because he was wearing some kind of black elastic support belt under his shirt. If you have back problems, dude, maybe forgo the gymnastics.

That was his microphone pack.  :)

• Love 1

I was hoping the twerp on Anne's team who talked about how many unnecessary steps they were doing would get sent home. Really? An actual chef gives you a recipe when you cannot cook your way out of a wet paper bag and you think you know better? I know, Dunning-Kruger effect but it is annoying and Princess should have been gone.

• Love 1

I know enough to know I would not do well on this show, even if I suck as a cook more than they do. Anne screaming at me would just make me more stressed out and apt to screw up worse!

I really wish they would replace Anne as a "mentor."  She seems to put all her effort into being "clever" and "funny"

However, I do marvel at Anne's hair - or more precisely - I marvel that Anne has any hair left.  All the stuff her poor hair has gone through over the years - the bleaching and coloring and whatever makes it stick out the way it does - I would think that most of it would have fallen out from the chemicals and stress.

• Love 2

We also rewound, looking for a giant thong.

Edited by zentropa
  • Love 2

I really enjoyed this episode - especially after the trainwreck of the 'celebrity' season which I found almost unwatchable.  I liked most of the contestants as well, they feel real to me, not like a bunch of actors and models looking for some way to get on tv.  The only possible exception was parkour guy, while his stated occupation was construction worker it wouldn't surprise me to learn he was trying to get into entertainment somehow.  The jailhouse burrito was intriguing.  Apparently there are several variations.  

I'm always amused by this show. As someone who loves to cook and learned the basics early on, it boggles my mind that there are grown adults out there who are so completely inept at doing even a scrambled egg without totally freaking out. I can possibly understand it with some of the younger (under 30) contestants since people are so used to eating out nowadays. But the older folk - that really is hard to wrap my head around.

The contestants are an entertaining bunch, and Manbun will give me something attractive to watch (for as long as he's on the show) but man... they are absolutely tragic in the kitchen. I couldn't help from laughing at the woman trying to tenderize a chicken cutlet with a citrus reamer. Anne's dish was a lot more doable for a beginner cook than Tyler's, but to see them lose it over wrapping the tenderloin was just ridiculous. Tyler's dish just had too many components and it's understandable why so many on his team were falling apart. Having said that, none of the individual components were that insane. Cutting up a chicken isn't all that challenging when you learn the technique (I can break one down in about four minute) but it's going to be intimidating for a beginner.

• Love 3

Good lord this crap is back.

Why am I watching? I can never quite figure out why.

At least the drama/acting seems a little reduced this season. These people seem slightly more real. I mean nobody would fake wearing two sets of glasses at once, for example. It takes a genuine coo-coo brain to come up with that.

• Love 3

Donna (I think) is deaf in one ear AND needs to wear two pairs of glasses to see? Why would she want to be on this show? Why would they want her on the show? We're going to be subjected to Anne screaming even more than she does already.

She must be resisting making the move to bifocals/progressives and wears reading glasses with her single visions? I resisted switching to progressives myself but I never wore two pairs of glasses at once! I tried switching from one to the other for awhile though, before I bent to the inevitable. #ditzyolderlady

• Love 1

If they just taught the basics this show would be boring.  Cooking school 101 offers no possibility of the drama we saw last night. I loved that they had to break down a chicken!  It is not that difficult to do. 

There are no ringers here, clearly!  The burned pancake was hysterical.  How can you not see that is happening right in front of you?  The smell alone should tell the tale.  And then she put it on the plate.  

Tyler was more annoyed that she put the knife on the floor than the garbage, though both were terrible.  The others managed to cook without putting garbage on the floor so there must have been a receptacle.  

It went very fast so I don't remember many dishes at this point but the ramen burrito stands out!  Oh my.  This show is not all that good but I did find myself wishing for 90 minutes so I could see each dish more closely.

Tyler is wet cardboard, to me.

That pancake is a thing that my mother has legitimately done and she is normally a very good cook. She just has this block about a western breakfast. Growing up she used to routinely serve me and my brothers pancakes that were burned on the outside and raw in the middle. She finally got the hint that we hated them when she found a stash of them where we would dump them so as to not hurt her feelings.