Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Misery Loves Company

• Start Topic

I think this is the season where they started to lose me, partly because of the shifts in character. Though there's no way I could have articulated that as a tenth grader. I did finally watch the whole run on FX in the early 2000s. This podcast will not lose me, though. Too enjoyable.

This is also the episode as an adult where I realized James Eckhouse is a low-rent Tobias Menzies. I submit the picture accompanying this funny/bizarre Eckhouse remembrance as evidence:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/31/arts/television/31eck.html

Great podcast. I feel like Brandon ratcheted up his annoying qualities this episode for all the reasons you mentioned. The one moment I liked him was when he found his parents at the club and went "what are you guys doing here?" without moving his face at all. That whole deal just makes Jim and Cindy's thing sadder though. Like, Brenda could get into the club with Kelly and Brandon works there. Yet, Jim and Cindy thought the big surprise was them joining the fun. I felt bad for them. I also felt Jim's threat to Brenda that "nothing would be the same" if she walked away from him, was not the threat he intended it to be.

I'm not gonna lie. I chewed gum like that when I was stressed playing sport. 

Also I heard from my friend that people who also chew gum like that are doing it because of stress or trying to quit smoking. Jason does smoke, so an attempt? I don't know.

Poor Jim. Poor David, Poor Henry. 

Oh, I'm voting for the belt buckle. I had one of those belts and you could do a lot of damage with one of those.

That said, Brandon's gum chewing always drove me crazy. I didn't even bother to make fun of it the way I did his "eyebrows of seriousness" that come to such prominence in the college years.

Steve's hair:  even in the 90's, who told him that was okay?  It looks like what is in the shower drain of a blonde.

I do have to say that Donna's Dynasty white bridal top was coveted by my group of friends back in the day. Looking back, my fashion choices explain to me why I was never very popular.

• Love 5

I also remembering Kelly on Melrose Place - and if I recall correctly, David and Donna are in tow.  What I do remember correctly are the Jim Walsh level threats I waged to my family in the event that someone forgot to hit record during the MP premiere.  Things would never have been the same.

• Love 4

Kelly, David and Donna visited Jake on Melrose and he was basically too busy being ass-grabby with Amy Locane's character (Sandy? She was written out halfway through that first season. She didn't matter) to care about her.

I do firmly remember watching this whole thing play out as a 9 year old, very much confused by how it took Jim and Cindy TWO MONTHS to figure out Brenda was still seeing Dylan. My older sister tried some of that stuff when she was told not to date some asshole dude and my parents caught on quick.

Re: the constant Jake mentions but no show...

I believe Kelly appeared on Melrose Place after the Season 2 finale? Am I Mis-remembering?

I think Melrose place debuted on the same night right after this episode so they were trying to give it a strong lead in.

Oh Brenda, Brenda. If you're trying to make a stand as a mature adult, do you really think "I'm not leaving, Daddy!" is the way to go? Do you hear yourself???

And to answer SoupThrower's question, there is no way Brenda is that good of a liar (some time ago- U4EA?- she was complaining how she's a terrible liar!), so yes, the Walshes really ARE that dumb. Is anyone surprised?

• Love 1

This is the episode I started hating Jim with the fire of a thousand nuns as a teen, and I still can't stand the actor! Team Cindy all the way.

And Brenda's hair on the beach? The prettiest it's even been! So jealous.

Shut up Brandon. And choke on your gum.

• Love 3

Steve's hair:  even in the 90's, who told him that was okay?  It looks like what is in the shower drain of a blonde.

I do have to say that Donna's Dynasty white bridal top was coveted by my group of friends back in the day. Looking back, my fashion choices explain to me why I was never very popular.

Steve Sander's Mullet 2016!

Edited by CarmenMacCodykins
  • Love 2

Did she keep doing it?

Like Brenda, she totally kept at it. Unlike Jim and Cindy, she did not get sent to Paris. But just like Jim and Cindy, my parents were like "whatever, there are bigger problems in the world than this asshole" to stay continuously perturbed. 

• Love 1

Like Brenda, she totally kept at it. Unlike Jim and Cindy, she did not get sent to Paris. But just like Jim and Cindy, my parents were like "whatever, there are bigger problems in the world than this asshole" to stay continuously perturbed. 

If I was Brandon's position and my sister got sent to Paris, I would have been like screw this and so angry. I mean if you think about it even though Brandon is the favorite which is weird and stupid in so many ways, Brenda gets sent to Paris, doesn't work, has a better chance to go to an out of state college and got to Mexico before breaking the rules.

Then again Brandon is a dick, so whatever.

I'm more surprised that none of her friends called out Brenda. Then again Donna's idea that led to this mess and Kelly is like whatever. Doubt Steve, Andrea and David care so yeah. 

• Love 3

I think I love this recap most of all.

Yes, Kelly appeared on Melrose Place, and I think she even bailed Jake out of jail.  They claim they didn't ever have sex, but I maintain they did (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

Some of the exposition; "you sleep with my daughter, she think she's pregnant."  "Andrea has a thing for me" is about bringing the new viewers, since so many shows were in reruns (remember those?) over the summer and 90120 would be the only new episodes on tv.

I forgot that Dylan's Dad was physically abusive (or was this the first time we learned about it).  And while I get that Dylan has abandonment issues, so it really messed him up that Jim and Cindy were so upset. Brenda should have been the one in serious trouble, not Dylan, but it's easier for Jim to blame Dylan than it is to be mad at his "little girl."

I like Kelly a lot.  She hasn't turned into a saint.  But Donna has.  

Shut up Brandon.  When did he get to be the Wise Sage of the Walsh family?

• Love 2

What is Steve's position here? Is he supposed to be a server? Then why does he need a spatula (excuse me -- The Spatula), and why does he need to have access to the eggs? If he wields The Spatula, he also better have a hairnet to contain the Ramen Noodle Mane because I don't want his head pubes in my MegaBurger.

Ughh, Nick is the worst businessman if he doesn't even bother to define the positions of his staff.

Ah, the summer episodes. The things that drew me in to 90210 in the first place.

Am I the only one who watched as a teen and actually rooted for Dylan and Kelly? I hated Brenda in the '90s, and I still kind of hate her in listening to the podcast. Though I will give props to Doherty's outstanding hair game. On point. Per the visual aids she's also managed to snag the best outfits this season and last. I really thought her Mexican detainee red stripe shirt and red miniskirt combo was super flattering. And her sleek bridesmaid updo was to die for. Looking at my own wedding pic I may or may not have subconsciously tried to emulate that look, sans bangs, about a decade later.

• Love 3

Nah, the figure skating costume look was in. The amount of time I spent with body suits tucked into ill-fitting, high wasted jeans adorned with giant belt buckles is undeniably tragic.

Also, Ian Ziering's look was NEVER okay. No one I knew in the '90s thought he was even slightly attractive. We actually, as teens, accepted Oooohhhhndra more than Steve. What's more shocking to me is perusing these visual aids and seeing Brandon and Dylan again, both guys I once deemed "hot," and seeing them for the feeble stick figures with bad hair they actually were. As a woman who did not grow up to marry what anyone would call a large man (I call him my tiny, travel size husband), I still can't get over how these big-headed, scrawny squinters were ever offered up, and accepted, as man candy.

Am I the only one who watched as a teen and actually rooted for Dylan and Kelly? 

Not at all! My entire group of friends (and myself) who got together to watch the show every week were hardcore rooting for Dylan and Kelly. We'd gotten sucked into Dylan/Brenda at first but were tired of them at that point, and thought Garth and Perry had great chemistry. (As I did through the final second of the final episode. I don't bring this up in conversation often, people are rabid!)

• Love 3

Ah, the summer episodes. The things that drew me in to 90210 in the first place.

Am I the only one who watched as a teen and actually rooted for Dylan and Kelly? I hated Brenda in the '90s, and I still kind of hate her in listening to the podcast. Though I will give props to Doherty's outstanding hair game. On point. Per the visual aids she's also managed to snag the best outfits this season and last. I really thought her Mexican detainee red stripe shirt and red miniskirt combo was super flattering. And her sleek bridesmaid updo was to die for. Looking at my own wedding pic I may or may not have subconsciously tried to emulate that look, sans bangs, about a decade later.

Raising my hand, I liked Dylan & Kelly and rooted for them and I used to love the way he looked at her... I also felt Andrea had a lot of potential, but the writers didn't seem to know what to do with her and I'm wondering if that's because they found out GC was really 29 and were a bit ticked.  I thought GC and IAN had chemistry and really wished they would've visited that, he floundered for several years in no girlfriend territory always losing to Brando.

I didn't like Steve that much when 90210 originally aired, maybe it's my age, but I like him now.

• Love 2