Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Vaulted)

A monkey could have come up with the new afternoon schedule.

What a slap in the face to Ed Schultz.  I like Michael Eric Dyson but really, this is what's replaced Ed?

And Alex Wagner gets sacks then shows up this week subbing for Chris Hayes.

Then there's a whole hour of little Luke.  No comment.

Back to CNN. 

• Love 2

Best part of Alex Wagner subbing for Chris Hayes?  She had to read a quote with the "sh-t" word in it, and it was captioned on the screen.  She read it as "Stuff", and we all went, "you know how to say that word on-air, Alex!".  I was glad to see her.

Ugh, ugh, ugh, an hour of Li'l Luke?  I missed it, and if I had seen it was on, I would have gone to CNN so fast! 

Since I have kind of boycotted MSNBC, I haven't seen Lil Luke...who was he subbing for?  And if you want to put me to sleep, put Michael Eric Dyson on for an hour.  I just don't see the ratings going anywhere but down with the changes.  Didn't Trump call Chuck Todd a "sleepy-eyed" something or other? lol  That proves that even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

• Love 3

I need a slight vent about this network. Turned it on to watch Last Word and all I got was a lot of Chuck Todd, Chris Mathews, Andrea Mitchell,etc. covering the Republican debate on Fox. I don't need to see these people. I hate these people. Does this network know its core audience? If this is how they're going to do it then I have no idea who I'm going to watch for next year's election. It should be Maddow, Hayes, and Lawrence covering this stuff, not these jokers. I guess they want to be NBC-lite. I'm not watching.

• Love 3

I need a slight vent about this network. Turned it on to watch Last Word and all I got was a lot of Chuck Todd, Chris Mathews, Andrea Mitchell,etc. covering the Republican debate on Fox. I don't need to see these people.

I had the same reaction, but I am completely sure that Rachel will be leading the coverage for the main events of the election (national conventions onward), so perhaps they are letting the "benchers" have more airtime at this point.  I remember in the 2012 cycle that there was a significant but quiet shift from Chris Mathews to Rachel being the lead on coverage, and she was terrific.  Here is hoping Chris Hayes is still on-air with MSNBC through the election cycle, because he also did a great job in the last presidential and congressional elections. 

• Love 3

I just checked the MSNBC afternoon schedule and after Thomas Roberts, it just says MSNBC (no name) for each hour, so hopefully, li'l Luke hasn't been given his own show. There is just something about that sweet, cherubic, bright-eyed, dimpled smile of his that makes me want to throw something at the TV screen, know what I mean? I'm sure his swift elevation (from college graduation to news desk) at MSNBC has not helped morale among staff.  I really thought the world of Tim Russert, especially his interviews of authors and of course, his two wonderful books about dads, but I think his son needs to earn his way up through the ranks, just as his dad did.

• Love 6

I just checked the MSNBC afternoon schedule and after Thomas Roberts, it just says MSNBC (no name) for each hour, so hopefully, li'l Luke hasn't been given his own show. There is just something about that sweet, cherubic, bright-eyed, dimpled smile of his that makes me want to throw something at the TV screen, know what I mean? I'm sure his swift elevation (from college graduation to news desk) at MSNBC has not helped morale [snip] I think his son needs to earn his way up through the ranks, just as his dad did.

Agree 1000 times over.  Saw his face on a show earlier today, and it made me switch to Wolf on CNN.  I don't think his expression is cherubic, just a smirk.  One article I read suggested Li'l Luke is getting the Cycle hour, and I hope that is not true. 

• Love 3

Turned it on to watch Last Word and all I got was a lot of Chuck Todd, Chris Mathews, Andrea Mitchell,etc. covering the Republican debate on Fox. I don't need to see these people. I hate these people. Does this network know its core audience?

Nah, that's just a sign that they're turning to the hard, serious news that will spike the ratings.

"Hard news' and "Serious" as determined by people who think the week isn't complete without an hour of Republican talking about how much they hate Obama.

• Love 4

When we tuned in to MSNBC after the debate and saw who the talking heads were, we switched to CNN.  I have to wonder if this is what those in charge expected as a result of their new lineup.  And where on earth was Rachel Maddow?  As annoying as Chris Matthews can be sometimes, at least he didn't bow down to Scarborough.  What's next?  Luke anchoring the election coverage?  By the way, I saw the odious John Sununu on two different channels yesterday.  Watch them give him his own show. Ye Gods.

• Love 4

See my note above.  They are saving Rachel for the real election coverage:  conventions and election.  Maybe the more advanced debates.  These group gripe events are more in the infotainment realm than the news realm.  I don't expect the Lincoln-Douglas debates, but these are not debates. 

Are they saving her for the real debates?  MSNBC and Andy Lack seem serious about changing MSNBC's liberal news image that I can see them keeping Rachel and the remaining left-leaning commentators mostly confined to their own shows.  I don't know why else they would keep her from covering the last debate.  As much of a WWE-esque spectacle it was, it was still the most watched and talked about political event of the summer.

Edited by junemeatcleaver
  • Love 2

I actually recorded Rachel twice so that if she added any commentary about the debates I'd catch it. Instead I got Andrea Mitchell glowing about Kasich playing the old "I'd love my child if they were gay but I still wouldn't want their family to have the stability that marital rights provide." It's 2015, it wasn't acceptable to claim you'll "tolerate" gay people while endorsing discrimination. And in their desire to see Kasich as the a moderate, Matthews and Todd were rushing to join the praise.

Seriously, I need people who aren't hoping to see the return of the Tip and Ronnie days. They weren't that great and it's not going to happen.

• Love 4

Dear MSNBC:  

I am officially done with Trump.  Every show I tune in to on your network seems devoted to Donald.  Bored now. 

Sincerely,  Over It 

OMG! What's he doing now?!  What's he saying?!  Did he fart?!  Who was there?!  Could you smell it from where you were standing?!  Was it what you expected?!  What do the other candidates say about it?!  What do the strategists have to say about it?!  Did the polls go up or down afterward?!  Wait!!!!  Trump is commenting!  

'It was the best fart evah!  No one has ever farted like I farted!  All other farts are just a bunch of loser farts!!!'

Well there you have it!  Trump's farts are the best farts!!  He says so himself!  Let's go talk to some folks on the street and see how they view the fart......

It's exhausting and I am sick of all the publicity over pretty much any tiny thing this asshole has to say on any subject whatsoever.  It's like MSNBC is the official publicity department of the Trump campaign.  24/7 that's all they pretty much talk about. Or close to it.  

I am tuning it out now which means I'll be watching a lot less MSNBC every day until they snap out of it. 

• Love 11

Well there you have it!  Trump's farts are the best farts!!  He says so himself!  Let's go talk to some folks on the street and see how they view the fart......

It's exhausting and I am sick of all the publicity over pretty much any tiny thing this asshole has to say on any subject whatsoever.  

So, if this were an SAT analogy question, the correct answer would be:

.        Trump:  MSNBC         is as        Kardashians: every other channel

Edited by jjj
  • Love 5

It should be pissing off the other candidates, democrats and republicans, that Trump gets free publicity 24/7.  No wonder he doesn't have to spend a penny on ads, being on the ground in Iowa or NH and continues to rise in the polls. 

If he's speaking live, MSNBC (and CNN) and of course I presume FOX (because they were so afraid of him) have to cover him as if he's the first human on Mars. 

• Love 8

Ugh, MSNBC has added a bright red box that says "LIVE" to the evening shows, so I assume it is there all day?  It is extremely distracting, and not making me want to stayed tuned to the channel.  I'll assume it is "LIVE", MSNBC, I don't need to stare at a box telling me that.

They did take it down for the repeats of the evening shows (11 PM ET), so maybe I'll watch the repeats instead.  Not the outcome they intended, I think. 

Ugh, MSNBC has added a bright red box that says "LIVE" to the evening shows, so I assume it is there all day?  It is extremely distracting, and not making me want to stayed tuned to the channel.  I'll assume it is "LIVE", MSNBC, I don't need to stare at a box telling me that.

To quote The West Wing....

While we're at it, do we have to use the word "live" twice in the first two sentences

like we just cracked the technology? We're also broadcasting in living color, right?

• Love 4

To quote The West Wing....

While we're at it, do we have to use the word "live" twice in the first two sentences

like we just cracked the technology? We're also broadcasting in living color, right?

OH BOY, "GALILEO"!  How many times can I "like" your post?  "we have a very unique opportunity to take part live in an extremely historic event"  Best thing I will read all week! 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 3

Okay, here is what is bugging me about the "LIVE" box -- I am watching The Rachel Maddow Show, and they are showing a clip of Trump at a press conference (of course), and the "LIVE" box is under his video.  But he is not live!  Her show is live, but his video presence is not live!   Argghhhhh.  I am writing LIVE as I am watching, just thought readers would want to know. 

• Love 2

I loved Laurence O'Donnell's show last night--he had an excellent segment about the development of Birthright Citizenship as a legal precedent, which predated the 14th Amendment. If you missed it, I highly recommend looking for the video, because he boiled down everything about the legality of it into just a few minutes, topped off with a toast of Saratoga Spring bottled water to the young woman who set the legal standard.

• Love 1

MSNBC had better leave Melissa Harris Perry's show alone. If the network wants to upgrade its programs how about ending the endless Lookup and Caught on Camera  reruns during the weekends.

• Love 1

I was really struck by the disconnect of MSNBC on Monday night -- around 11:00 PM on the West Coast, that the new "live" MSNBC had not gone to live coverage of the Asian markets, which were open (Tuesday AM there) after the disastrous Monday.  CNN was covering the Asian market live, and the futures on the European markets.  There is still a significant audience at that hour, some of whom appreciate the coverage of a significant financial event.  The "big boys" of finance have other avenues of information, but for the average investor, the internet and these cable shows can provide information that we can choose to act upon, or not. 

I would have watched MSNBC, but not an 8-hour-old "Hardball" -- so I was tuned to CNN and the Asian markets.  It was very useful. 

Just saw where they are moving Al Sharpton to Sunday mornings...where does that leave Steve Kornaki? A true test of their new programming is that I now look forward to Rev Al's show at 6...he seems to be the most progressive one left in the earlier time slot since they got rid of Ed Shultz. And Michael Eric Dyson doesn't cut it as a host, same as Ezra Klein ... great guests but too boring/wonky to carry a show. Dreading Chuck Todd.

• Love 1

"Up with Steve Kornacki" currently runs from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. on the weekends on MSNBC. "Up" will apparently shrink to one hour on Sundays but will remain two hours long on Saturdays. 

Kornacki is expected to gain a weekday role on the channel.

source:  http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/26/media/msnbc-al-sharpton-sunday-morning/

I still don't think boxing off all their progressive and left leaning voices is going to save MSNBC.

• Love 3

Ugh, why is Li'l Luke on the screen?  Please tell me he does not have a regular slot?  I always give him a chance, but change to Wolf as soon as there is a smirk or idiotic remark -- I never have to wait more than 60 seconds.  MSNBC, I want to watch you, I really do, but I can't take that. 

• Love 3

I just found this group, I'm sure some of you are already sick of me!  But, it was interesting to read the three pages in retrospect.

I'm so sick of Luke popping up subbing for Andrea and elsewhere, I can't stand him.

Thanks for the answers about what is happening with Up on the weekends with the Sharpton move.

I'll never understand why MSNBC is dismantling the only somewhat left leaning crew, they'll never compete with CNN and Fox so I wish they'd just leave us lefties be with the little crumbs we have.

The only time that the insufferable Chuck Todd was tolerable was when he was teamed up with Savanah Guthrie, but I suspected he'd get a show during this election season just as David Gregory had one in 2008.  If only we could get the Maddow v Scarborough card part 2, that would be awesome since Rachel kicked Joe's ass!

eta: the only "new" shining lights that I see on the network are Craig Melvin, Trymaine Lee and Ayman Mohyeldin.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 4

I just found this group, I'm sure some of you are already sick of me!  But, it was interesting to read the three pages in retrospect.

I'm so sick of Luke popping up subbing for Andrea and elsewhere, I can't stand him.

I can't speak for everyone here, but I look forward to ALL the posts on MSNBC, snark and praise; they deserve both!

• Love 1

Nothing but terrible news.  I really can't stand Willie Geist.

Ugh.  Morning Joe Hour 3 seems to be the same as Hour 1 -- maybe it changes if there is breaking news?  Does this mean Hour 4 will be the same as Hour 2?  Ugh.  And for heavens sake, I hope they don't replace Chris Hayes with Geist. 

• Love 2

They have got to do something with that red "LIVE" symbol next to their MSNBC logo.

Was turned into Rachel Maddow show (I think) and saw a clip of Sarah Palin making a speech with the word "LIVE" displayed.  Some might have thought it truly was "live" and they broke into programming to actually see Sarah Palin talking.  If I truly wanted to see Sarah Palin talk about anything, I would just watch Fox News.  (and I'd rather not do either).

Regardless, I flipped out of that clip just in case it truly was a live speech by Sarah Palin.  ;)

• Love 2

They have got to do something with that red "LIVE" symbol next to their MSNBC logo.

Was turned into Rachel Maddow show (I think) and saw a clip of Sarah Palin making a speech with the word "LIVE" displayed. 

Oh, a thousand times YES to this, as I noted on the first day of the red box, above!  There are so many clips on Rachel's show (and others, I'm sure) from the past, and showing the clip with "LIVE" in RED below it is very disconcerting.  And as I have also noted, if they really want to be the "live" network, then actually be "live" when there is breaking news after 11:00 PM Eastern or significant stock market shifts in Asia overnight.  That's what CNN does. 

Lawrence O'Donnell has Nicole Wallace, Chuck Todd and thank God, Howard Dean on his panel tonight critiquing the first two hours of the debate. Howard Dean is the only credible person.

Chuck and Nicole are fawning over Carly Fiorina like she's won the election and her inauguration is tomorrow.

She's awful. Simply awful.

Edited by stormy

Yeah. Women like Carly Fiorina offend me to my core. I expect Republican men to not care about women and everything, but to see a woman advocating for things that will hurt women and women's futures, it just really makes me want to tear my hair out. I cannot stand women like that.

Edited by Ruby25
  • Love 7