Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Vaulted)

I caught some of Matthews "Hardball" after debate coverage, how pathetic MSNBC looked sitting in the middle of what appeared to be the spin room with all the CNN logos about.  They should have done the coverage from DC, and let Kasie Hunt or whomever bring in candidate interviews if need be.

• Love 1

What does Trump have to say that is so offensive they stop having his rallies on live?

It wasn't enough when he called people from Mexico rapists.

It wasn't enough when he called John McCain not a hero because he got shot down and caught.

And it remains to be seen if it's ok for his supporters to call the President a Muslim that isn't an American citizen.

Which by the way, he answered "right" while the guy was asking the question.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 7

Sometimes when it looks like Trump is "live," it is actually an earlier appearance, with the red-box "LIVE" in the lower right corner.  I saw that today -- had the sound off, but saw Trump with "LIVE" below him, but it was just video from earlier in the week.

MSNBC, this "LIVE" box is a terrible idea.  It keeps disappointing us. 

• Love 3

Matthews was on Real Time last night and he said (now whether this is the full truth of course is another thing) that they go with the Trump nonsense just waiting for him to do something stupid, like he did Thursday night - and BINGO!  They have something to cover that is of some importance.

• Love 1

I don't believe Chris thinks that covering Trump means waiting for Trump to say something of importance. He just can't say the truth for fear of going the way of Ed.

Chris knows that Trump has never said anything important and if it was any other republican running for president saying the things he says, the media wouldn't be there. But it's Trump so the news media has to be there buzzing around like flies on dog poop.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 2

Matthews was on Real Time last night and he said (now whether this is the full truth of course is another thing) that they go with the Trump nonsense just waiting for him to do something stupid, like he did Thursday night - and BINGO!  They have something to cover that is of some importance.

I heard him say that and it just makes no sense since they have it all on video and can play it on air within minutes of Trump saying it without having to subject the audience to all the rest of his drivel.

• Love 4

I heard him say that and it just makes no sense since they have it all on video and can play it on air within minutes of Trump saying it without having to subject the audience to all the rest of his drivel.

There is also a myriad of other important topics to cover other than this stupid horse race.  I really wish that MSNBC wasn't changing before our eyes, and I do find it discouraging that they could not maintain ratings with their "Lean Forward" more progressive programming.  I will never understand the relative success of Fox News and right wing radio compared to my more liberal, progressive belief system and programming.

• Love 12

I tuned in to see Chris Matthews wax poetically about being Irish Catholic and waxing poetically about the Pope.  Saw Chuck Todd's smug face instead, so switched to CNN.  Wonder if this is what MSNBC had in mind when they decided to scrub a good bit of their lineup.  I guess we'll know when the ratings come out; don't know when that is.

• Love 2

I tuned in to see Chris Matthews wax poetically about being Irish Catholic and waxing poetically about the Pope.  Saw Chuck Todd's smug face instead

Nope...Chris Matthews left to attend his beloved aunt's funeral.  He mentioned her death yesterday.  Todd is just subbing.

Brian Williams anchored coverage of the Pope's drive through Washington crowds yesterday.  Several years from now while being interviewed on The Late Show, Brian will tell the tale about how this was such a wonderful day, and how proud he was to walk beside the popemobile, and how when that little girl came up he saw her first and lifted her so she could receive the Pope's blessing and then put her gently down to run back to her parents and how touched he was to be right there and a part of such a moment.... I'm sure he'll remember it just like that. 

• Love 6

I was disturbed by Williams' insistence on dwelling on the "danger" of the situation.  It was a real downer.

Also, I thought it was incredibly disrespectful how much yakking went on during the mass - I actually switched over to FNC for a bit because they weren't talking over it.  SHOCKER!

And once again as I type, security, security, Boston Bombing, security.  Didn't Pope Francis tell us to be JOYFUL?

• Love 3

I love the Pope and am interested in his visit but MSNBC has reached CNN levels of ridiculousness with this coverage. I was doing something with the coverage on in the background a little while ago and it was just Kate Snow filling airspace while the cameras concentrated on the airliner the pope was on.  Now, if he was expected to get off the plane I could see it, but he was flying AWAY. To NYC.  And of course Guiliani has been on the phone about this all day. Ugh.  Anyway, I could not believe it when Kate Snow interrupted Rudy's blathering to say, 'Let's listen as the plane takes off!'  and they did.  The camera watched the plane take off and broadcast the jet engines' sound etc while Kate and Rudy were completely silent.  I just dissolved in laughter, it was so OTT stupid.  Yes, Kate, let's LISTEN to the jet as it takes to the air.  Riveting news, that.  Riveting. 

• Love 3

As soon as Boehner called on "Junior", I turned off the coverage.

I really dislike that kid. And I bet a lot of people that have been on the beat a lot longer than he has do as well.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3

I'm not Catholic, but I've been watching coverage of the Pope, mainly on MSNBC.  I've enjoyed the coverage in general, and I think Brian Williams, in particular, has done a good job.  However, the one person who has annoyed me throughout the coverage has been Chris Matthews.  Every time he comes on, he yammers on and on and on about growing up Catholic.  Yeah Chris, we get it.  You're Catholic.  I just get this "I'm Catholic--and you're not." vibe from him and I'm sick of him.  Other people who are Catholic have commented on the coverage, but they're aren't annoying and while it's certainly understandable to be proud of one's religion, they don't gloat about being Catholic like he does. 

• Love 2

So let me get this straight.  Obama just gave an important and great speech to the UN General Assembly and Brian Williams and Chris Mathews are given about two minutes tops to discuss it when they are interrupted to go to a press conference called by Trump to discuss his ideas on taxes.  Trump. We now give Trump live coverage, pulling away from the actual president and the UN.  Well then. I guess the conversion from news network to the Trump Channel is complete.  

Seriously, this really pisses me off. 

• Love 9

So let me get this straight.  Obama just gave an important and great speech to the UN General Assembly and Brian Williams and Chris Mathews are given about two minutes tops to discuss it when they are interrupted to go to a press conference called by Trump to discuss his ideas on taxes.  Trump. We now give Trump live coverage, pulling away from the actual president and the UN.  Well then. I guess the conversion from news network to the Trump Channel is complete.  

Seriously, this really pisses me off. 

I barely watch anymore because of this shit. I don't think this network knows its core audience at this point. Or cares about it. I don't know what they're going for or want with all this stuff. 

• Love 3

I'm from Philly and I actually really enjoyed Chris Matthews' coverage.  It was great to see my city look so great with someone explaining the nuances of the city who truly loves it. 

The point is, he not only did it in the case of the Pope's visit, he does it every chance he gets on his show.  I live in Northern Virginia, just outside DC, and have been to Philly many, many times so I know about the city.  Even for those who don't know much about Philly, I thought Chris was over the top. 

I get that he loves Philly.  I get that he's Catholic.  Enough!

Correction:  Irish Catholic!

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

Maybe it's just superficial of me, but am NOT digging the new CNN-ish crawl that's now at the bottom fo the screen on their shows.

It's just the same stuff repeated over and over again and it's usually distracting from the show I am watching.

• Love 6

I swear the headline crawl comes and goes on MSNBC. Every so often someone feels like they need to show they did something to demonstrate that they're in charge of the network, I guess. I remember Keith and Rachel always used to be able to avoid having the crawl, the last time was within the last two years because I recall Chris being stuck with it but not Rachel. Not anymore.

So Kournacki gets moved to MTP Daily on Mondays and Alex Wagner gets whatever the morning show is going to be on Saturday and Sunday.

I will miss Up (I suspect the new show won't be Up), though it was so much better with Chris Hayes.

• Love 1

I just learned about Steve Kornacki losing his Sat. and Sun. shows. That's a bummer. And Alex Wagner is taking over those time slots; hmmm. While I think she's okay, I can only take her in small doses. She doesn't keep a tight rein on her panels, and when she tries to jump in to an already crowded conversation, her voice goes up higher and higher till only my dog can hear it. And is this a demotion for Steve - to host MTP only on Mondays, and then to be a guest commentator on everybody else's shows? If MSNBC wanted to give Rev. Al (who I actually enjoy) a weekend spot, why not take an hour away from Melissa, who has become unwatchable to me. Of course, all of this is just my personal preferences and probably not indicative of the majority. I really, really dislike all these changes.

• Love 1

Does anyone know when the ratings come out...and will they include the "new" lineup?  I still don't understand what the show at 6:00 is supposed to be.  Also love Steve Kornacki; who knows, maybe when Chuck Todd bombs (fingers crossed) they can turn the time period over to Kornacki.  I don't even bother to tune in to MSNBC until 7:00 for Chris Matthews...then again at 10:00 for Lawrence O'Donnell.  I usually watch other things from 8-10.

• Love 1

I, too, sometimes don't bother tuning in to MSNBC until Hardball at 7, but I stick around for Chris Hayes, even though that boy needs to seriously calm down. And then there's Rachel at 9, where I always get an education. TPTB are making a huge mistake in wiping out their daytime lineup. The only problem with it was that each program was essentially a rehash of all the ones prior to it. They should have 'assigned' various political topics to each show everyday, so that they weren't all talking about the exact same things, with all the same guests. ~ I didn't even have to look at a clock to know what time it was; I knew just by seeing who was hosting which program. Now all of MSNBC's daytime programming is bland, boring and usually not worth watching at all. Which is a shame because I was the very definition of an MSNBC addict.

Edited by Ladyrain
  • Love 4

Well, my Charter cable lineup folks apparently think that MSNBC has replaced 'Up with Steve Kornacki' with the theatrical movie 'Up'. Seriously, that is what they indicate from 5 to 7 am Sat and Sun now and next weekend. The movie 'Up'.  Sigh.

They seem to be moving their 'people of color' to the same spot on Sat and Sun mornings.  I wonder if they even realize it.  Hmmmm....

Does anyone know why, no matter when I tune in to MSNBC, Ari Melber is talking?  He is either the host or the guest whenever I turn the channel to MSNBC.  I don't have anything against him, but I'm starting to feel TV stalked. 

• Love 3

I'm with you Kemper. Although I like Hardball in small doses, I love Chris Hayes and watch Lawrence O'Donnell a least a few times a week. But that's it for me and MSNBC

I'm with you Kemper. Although I like Hardball in small doses, I love Chris Hayes and watch Lawrence O'Donnell a least a few times a week. But that's it for me and MSNBC

I have heard/seen rumors on the intenet that Keith Olbermann is talking with some of the higher ups at NBC.  Of course, seemingly whenever there are shakeups at MSNBC, his name is frequently mentioned in the rumor mill.  I just hope this one is true.   I would love to see "Countdown" return to my TV screen during this election cycle.

Yes, he's a bit of a diva who seemingly doesn't play well with others.  Or maybe a bit of an a-hole.  But he's our a-hole.  :)

• Love 6

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was noticing Ari on air practically 24/7.  I don't mind him particularly; in fact, he makes a very good guest on other people's shows.  He just doesn't seem to have the IT factor when hosting, which he seems to be doing a lot.

• Love 1

Ari is the senior legal analyst, so he appears whenever anything slightly smelling of legal is the topic.  I think Steve Kournacki is the new Chuck Todd/John King of MSNBC, polls, analysis of polls and more polls, as well as fun techie ways to illustrate polls.  Personally?  I think Kournacki blew most of his credibility by his obsession with the GWB "scandal" that has yet to deliver.  I hate it when he subs for Rachel, he completely takes away any evidence that it's Rachel's show - I think that Ari actually shines here.

I have learned so much from MHP that it's must see for me, it has greatly eliminated misunderstandings between me and my third wave feminist women's liberal arts college attending daughter.  I know MHP can seem reductive to all things white male privilege and LGBTQIA issues, but those are primary for many millennials.

I really despise the new daytime lineup and find it ridiculous when they have Brian Williams stomp on Hall, Mitchell and Robert's shows where they should remain the lead and he a contributor.  Also, not a fan of Kate Snow.  That hour between the new MTP and Hardball is begging for a show with an established format, it's such a strange transition.  I wonder if that might be where Olbermann would get slotted if the rumors are at all true?  I thought that was where MTP was going.

Finally, they better leave Chris Hayes alone, or I may just have to boycott.  (Who am I kidding?)

• Love 1

May I just say how happy I am that this topic is getting some traffic.  As mentioned above, I have been an MSNBC junkie for years and 'love' commiserating when things are going badly (like now) or rejoicing in whatever triumphs there may be.  As to the possibility of Olbermann returning, bring it on.  Yes, he's a diva and somewhat of a loose cannon, but he's just what this network desparately needs right now, what with all the house-cleaning going on, leaving only a handful of watchable programs.  Do any of you excellent posters have some suggestions as to who else could possibly be brought on board to liven up the daytime lineup? Or how the ennui of the present afternoon programming in general could be improved?

I don't watch much anymore, so I don't know how long they have had this "feature", but the MSNBC/Bing live polling they run during the day is absolute crap. It's a self selected internet poll (the worst kind) that they treat as if it was done using real polling methodology. In addition, the volatility of the results was so high during the time I watched, that I seriously wondered if it was a bunch of cats doing the voting.

• Love 2

I really like Ari Melbar and don't mind him being on a lot.  One who DOES bother me (actually, one of many at this point) is Michael Steele. He might as well have his own show, because he seems to be on ALL the shows.  When I see him flash that smug smile and making excuses for his party it drives me crazy.  He sometimes will agree with Chris Matthews' (or someone's) criticism of the GOP, then remind everyone that the democrats do it, too.  Then the cheshire grin.  Gah!

• Love 3