Type keyword(s) to search

Worst of Golden Girls: Your Least Favorite Moments

• Start Topic

Dorothy usually does try to censor Sophia when she runs off at the mouth. Like with Doug & Clayton, even with Jean when Sophia asked if she kept being a lesbian under wraps and Dorothy said Ma. When Rose made that comment Dorothy just looked at Rose and that was it. Then again when Sophia was making cracks about Ham Lushbaugh's weight, Dorothy didn't say anything either.

I remember watching the episode for the first time.

After Sophia made her first fat joke, and Dorothy apologized to Rebecca on Sophia's behalf, there's that moment where Rebecca says she doesn't mind, because she has a sense of humor about her weight.

At that moment, I remember thinking, "I guess that means Rebecca will be mocked all episode long, and it will be treated as no big deal."

I never would have guessed that they'd make a big deal later in the episode about how that behavior is inexcusable - but only if it comes from your significant other.

So yeah, count me in as someone who thinks the episode is bizarre.

• Love 6

I didn't like Dorothy when she was teaching the night class for those that didn't get their GEd and she found out that Rose was in the class and she told Rose that she couldn't stay. I was like Why? Then at the end when Rose told her that she got a question right Dorothy had a look on her face and the way she told Rose that she was a high school graduate was bothersome. She acted like it pained her to have Rose pass. Shouldn't she be more happy for her friend?

I assumed it could have been a question of objectivity?  Dorothy regretted the pass because it was just such a slim one, I thought.

"It pains me as a history teacher to give you credit for identifying Hitler as Fritz Stickelmeyer, but with that evidence, I'll let you have it."

I agree.  I think that the deciding factor was Rose recognizing Eva Braun in that picture (assuming the picture only acknowledged Hitler) and just letting it go.  The point difference seemed to be just 1, rather than 20 or something, so Dorothy just let it go.  If Dorothy had made a mistake with the grading and Rose noticed, I don't think she'd have looked so beaten down but she was letting Rose pass knowing that she'd really failed, hence the look.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

The Henny Penny episode is the second best episode of all time? And "A Little Romance" all the way back at #52? Disagree!! Although the placement of the Empty Nest episode is accurate.

• Love 1

That Empty Nest episode was terrible!

I'm not sure if this was mentioned before, but one of my least favorite Dorothy and Blanche episodes was the one where Dorothy is working with Blanche and Blanche is all jealous that Mr. Allen is talking with Dorothy. Blanche was rather hateful to Dorothy. I didn't care for that.

• Love 6

I don't like when Sophia pretends to be Rose's dead husband talking to her through the fruit salad...all just to get a few dollars out of Rose. What a weird writing decision. I didn't like the moments when Sophia went from feisty and irreverent older lady to a straight-up sociopath.

• Love 4

I don't like when Sophia pretends to be Rose's dead husband talking to her through the fruit salad...all just to get a few dollars out of Rose. What a weird writing decision. I didn't like the moments when Sophia went from feisty and irreverent older lady to a straight-up sociopath.

I agree that that was a particularly low point. I dislike most of Sophia's money-making schemes, particularly the time she rented out the house while Blanche and Dorothy were away at Big Daddy's funeral.  Even brief mentions of Sophia taking money or a credit card out of Dorothy's purse make me squirm.

• Love 2

I agree that that was a particularly low point. I dislike most of Sophia's money-making schemes, particularly the time she rented out the house while Blanche and Dorothy were away at Big Daddy's funeral.  Even brief mentions of Sophia taking money or a credit card out of Dorothy's purse make me squirm.

I've always felt that the writers had a weird tendency to occasionally make Sophia and Blanche out to be absolute monsters.

It takes a lot of skill to write a character who is lovable despite being a sneaky con artist-type, or a raging narcissist - and a big part of it is not letting their bad behavior get too out of hand.

Having Sophia trick Rose into thinking her dead husband was contacting her, for the sake of stealing her money, was going too far. Same with Blanche stealing Rose's car, intentionally getting into an accident, and insisting it was totally justified.

• Love 2

Any time when Dorothy decides her word is law and feels she can tell anyone else what to do:

She's always forbidding her mother to have any freedom or a life. She forbade her son to get married.

As much as I love this show, I hate when she shouts at everyone with that "I'm right, you're wrong" attitude.

I thought the Mister Terrific episode was extremely stupid...it didn't add anything quality to the series. It was just plain out silliness. And Charlie's Buddy was a pretty pointless episode to the show as well. I myself hate the Nice and Easy episode with Blanche's niece. Pretty much every episode when one of the girls' relatives comes to stay I don't care for. I  like the episodes when it's just the four girls. I can't STAND Uncle Angelo or whenever he'd appeared in one of the episodes. I also avoided the episodes when Sophia's sister Angela came over, especially the episode with Count Bessie. That episode was just dreary. And DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED WITH THAT TWO-PART Empty Nests episode. Now that has to be the #1 MOST stupid and POINTLESS episode of the entire series!

Another few in additions were the episodes with Stan and the psychiatrist, as well as that dumb monkey Stan carried with him. This includes Mother Load and The Monkey Show. There were so many episodes on The Golden Girls that should've been replaced with substantial morals like most of their episodes offer.  

Edited by Greekjohnny
  • Love 2

The other day I watched the episode where Sophia is taking the other girls' cars for joy rides.

When Rose realizes that her car is missing, and she's all distraught - understandably thinking it's been stolen - Dorothy makes it so obvious that she doesn't give a crap.

"Catch me when the story's about me?" That sounds like something Blanche would say.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 1

I didn't like it when any of the girls got overly mean to each other. The one where none of them believe that Blanche isn't sleeping with the politician is really uncomfortable to me.

• Love 6

One episode I really disliked was "All Bets Are Off". That's the one where Dorothy's gambling problem resurfaces and she blows off a job interview. So out of character for Dorothy, who is usually so in control she returns her library books during regular library hours and her card is always current.

• Love 3

I call BS any time two of the girls come home from a funeral and the other two ask where they've been. I'm sure that if Sophia's best friend died, she'd tell the others before the funeral.

Sophia seemed to have a lot of BFFs. And we hardly ever saw her with any of them except the would-be suicide woman.

• Love 1

One episode I really disliked was "All Bets Are Off". That's the one where Dorothy's gambling problem resurfaces and she blows off a job interview. So out of character for Dorothy, who is usually so in control she returns her library books during regular library hours and her card is always current.

Who are you to judge her?!?

• Love 9

I took it as, "It pains me as a history teacher to give you credit for identifying Hitler as Fritz Stickelmeyer, but with that evidence, I'll let you have it."

I don't even get Rose's "You can call him whatever you want" remark to Dorothy.  The entire world knew him as Hitler.  You'd think Rose would've learned his real name at any point in her life.

• Love 1

I thought the Mister Terrific episode was extremely stupid...it didn't add anything quality to the series. It was just plain out silliness. And Charlie's Buddy was a pretty pointless episode to the show as well. I myself hate the Nice and Easy episode with Blanche's niece. Pretty much every episode when one of the girls' relatives comes to stay I don't care for. I  like the episodes when it's just the four girls. I can't STAND Uncle Angelo or whenever he'd appeared in one of the episodes. I also avoided the episodes when Sophia's sister Angela came over, especially the episode with Count Bessie. That episode was just dreary. And DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED WITH THAT TWO-PART Empty Nests episode. Now that has to be the #1 MOST stupid and POINTLESS episode of the entire series!

Another few in additions were the episodes with Stan and the psychiatrist, as well as that dumb monkey Stan carried with him. This includes Mother Load and The Monkey Show. There were so many episodes on The Golden Girls that should've been replaced with substantial morals like most of their episodes offer.

I hated the "Nice and Easy" episode. Every scene seemed to be the niece going on in that dreadful southern accent and then quickly waltzing out of the room saying, "I'll see y'all lat-uh!" The only funny part was when Rose and Ed the doofus policeman were discussing their mutual love for "Miami Vice."

I've always thought the first three seasons were the funniest and then things started to get a little more hit-and-miss in season four. Beyond that, I wasn't as wild about the episodes. The Marc Cherry years seemed to be the least funny to me. I didn't like how the character of Sophia seemed to change so much. She seemed more the funny, grouchy old lady in the first three seasons, but after that seemed more of a really mean caricature of an old lady. Not as believable in the way she acted or the things she said. Can't quite explain it.

• Love 1

The episode where Dorothy's friend Trudy comes to visit, and fakes her death as a joke. The whole thing makes no sense and is plain stupid. How could she fake her death on the tennis court? Didn't they call the paramedics? I'm pretty sure those guys aren't going to be part of any practical joke. Even if Trudy just pretended to be unconscious and her husband whisked her away, how did Dorothy guess it was a joke? Too many details are missing for it to make any sense or be funny in any way. And, as Blanche pointed out, how cruel of her to keep it a secret that Trudy's husband had confessed. But she goes even farther in telling the whole room full of their friends that Trudy was dead when she knew the truth. Of course a reunion of a Brooklyn high school being held at Dorothy's house in Miami is odd to begin with. Perhaps is was just a local get together for those who moved to Florida, but again, more sloppy writing and missing details.

• Love 5

Season 4 has some of my all-time least favorite episodes: "The Auction" (hoping an artist will die, how nice), "Fiddler On the Ropes" (Pepe the boxer, an exercise in boredom), "Till Death Do We Volley" (Trudy faking her death), and "Little Sister" (Rose's awful sister Holly visits). Those are four exceptionally bad episodes. 

• Love 2

The one where the girls find out their living arrangement is technically illegal. Rose calls and turns them in, then when they bring up someone having to move out she says Dorothy and Sophia should be the ones to move out. She created the mess by turning them in and tries to kick other people out.

Also, the one where Rose learns the man who died in her bed was married and the widow ends up comforting her.

• Love 2

In a Bed of Roses is #2 on my list of all-time favorite episodes (behind Twas the Nightmare Before Christmas).

It's funny, sad, surprising and poignant. And the actress who played the widow was terrific.

And I love Rose's story at the end. ("So I slept with him. And then the sheriff died.")

• Love 3

The Magda episode bothered me because Dorothy invited Magda to stay just because she didn't want to stay at Stan's house cause he's charging her rent and didn't want to stay at hotel because she would have to pay for ice. So she rather just freeload off the girls just like Stan a damn freeloader. Magda was there to visit Stan yet didn't hang out with Stan at all and Stan didn't even come by to check on her. 

From Here to the Pharmacy was another bland and boring episode with Blanche dating that guy from the Persian Gulf. The subplot of Sophia hoarding money was better and saved the episode with LA Law and Have some tea lines from Dorothy and Rose but other than that, very dull. 

The flashback episodes are pretty annoying as well with the exception of the money making episode with the dance marathon. I was like how many flashback episodes can they have?

I didn't like the full moon episode either where Blanche threw that party. Everytime it came on I just turned the channel. It just didn't entertain me that much. 

• Love 1

I loved "Pharmacy."  With its talk of "Loverboy!" and getting a VA loan, and a house and a station wagon.

The other morning I saw the tail end of Jacket episode.  Did anyone else sit through it?  Is everyone alright?

• Love 2
(edited)

I know there's a lot of hate for the flashback episodes, but I loved them. It gave us some great and memorable moments and i like seeing scenes that hadn't been shown before. I also think I read somewhere that they did so many of them, because it gave the girls a break from working a bit. 

The other day I watched "Empty Nest" in its entirety for the first time in a long time. It wasn't as terrible as I remembered it. Granted, it's definitely not great, but not as bad as I thought it was. Honestly, I think it's a terrible idea to introduce a show like that. The character of George was terribly unfunny. The concept itself didn't mesh so well with GG. 

Edited by SophiaPehawkins
(edited)

I generally like the flashback episodes on this show, thanks to the new footage.  It was a good way to use good bits the writers couldn’t spin into entire storylines.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

"In a Bed of Rose's" is one of my all-time favorites. Lots of great lines.

"Fine. Let a dead guy lie there. It's gonna be 98 degrees today. It won't be pretty."

"You could light firecrackers in his nostrils - you won't wake him."

Blanche (commenting on Rose's new dress): It looks sorta old-fashioned.

Rose: That's the style. The girl told me.

Blanche: What was she? A Pilgrim?

Rose: Well, I'm off.

Sophia: Totally!

• Love 1