Type keyword(s) to search

Worst of Golden Girls: Your Least Favorite Moments

• Start Topic

I hate the episode when Dorothy dates the leader of the Beatles cover band.  It just didn't seem like The Golden Girls to me.

Dorothy being sick with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Rose's pain pill addiction and heart attack episodes.  The first season episode where the Blanche, Rose, and Dorothy were sick with the flu was funny.

The pain pill episode has some of the funniest moments to me -- Rose threatening to knock that director on his keister and when Sophia went off on Blanche after she said she'd "try some" cake when they stayed up all night with Rose.

I really want to talk about the Kid Pepe episode though. From the beginning, I have a hard time believing that Sophia would buy a boxer on the street corner. She's supposed to be the savvy one, like in the episode where she's negotiating the price of a nectarine from a grocer. Yet, she falls for Kid Pepe's story like Jack and his magic beans. 

He really turned out to be a boxer, so she didn't fall for anything, no?

I hate the episode when Dorothy dates the leader of the Beatles cover band.  It just didn't seem like The Golden Girls to me.

That's the thing about this show, even the worse episodes had some pretty awesome moments. Like in the episode above, after Dorothy comes back from Don's solo performance and Rose and Sophia ask her how it was. This exchange was priceless.

Dorothy: "I'm stunned…I'm just stunned. What do you say about a show by an ex-fake Beatle that began with "I've Gotta Be Me" and ended with "Everybody Was Kung-Fu Fighting. What the hell was that man doing up there?"

Rose: "Was it that bad?"

Dorothy: "Had it been a fight they would have stopped it."

Rose: "Did he do any of his own material?"

Dorothy: "Oh yes…A Tribute to Dorothy. Dot…dot, what a girl I got. The last words I heard as I sprinted to my car was "when we shower together we don't have to turn on hot."

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

He really turned out to be a boxer, so she didn't fall for anything, no?

It turned out to be a spectacular deal. Even if he lost, they would still make a nice profit. Why someone was "selling" him so soon before that match isn't made clear.

Sophia was lucky, though. It was pretty foolish to trust some strangers she met on the way to the bank.

Sophia was lucky, though. It was pretty foolish to trust some strangers she met on the way to the bank.

This is what I meant upthread. You put it into words better than I did. It was odd that Sophia believed some stranger who could have been trying to rip her off.

I get annoyed at the one where Dorothy's daughter Kate comes to Miami and they plan her wedding. Kate making Dorothy call Stan and invite him really pisses me off. 

It seemed right she would want to invite her father.  Sophia could have been nicer to Dorothy though.  Pink was always Dorothy's color.

That's the thing about this show, even the worse episodes had some pretty awesome moments. Like in the episode above, after Dorothy comes back from Don's solo performance and Rose and Sophia ask her how it was. This exchange was priceless.

Dorothy: "I'm stunned…I'm just stunned. What do you say about a show by an ex-fake Beatle that began with "I've Gotta Be Me" and ended with "Everybody Was Kung-Fu Fighting. What the hell was that man doing up there?"

Rose: "Was it that bad?"

Dorothy: "Had it been a fight they would have stopped it."

Rose: "Did he do any of his own material?"

Dorothy: "Oh yes…A Tribute to Dorothy. Dot…dot, what a girl I got. The last words I heard as I sprinted to my car was "when we shower together we don't have to turn on hot."

I loved Yoko Zbornak!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

The episode where Sophia runs a marathon and the girls babysat all them kids and they thought one was abandoned. That was just beyond boring, I know it made Blanche realize what a mother she's been to her children, but nevertheless the episodes bores me.

Also wasn't too fond of the one where the girls take in a pregnant teen, the only good thing about that episode was the secondary story of Blanche and Merrill. 

I know it was dealing with death but didn't care for Phil's funeral. I mean we never seen the character on screen and whenever Sophia told stories she almost always said "except Phil" so I really felt no connection or anything like that. Maybe if they had Phil visit maybe 2 or 3 times then maybe.

The Gil Kessler episode was bad from the simple fact that Blanche was being blamed for the whole thing. Even though the story turned out to be fake, they all acted like Blanche pushed herself on Gil and Gil didn't even get a slap on the wrist or vilified, yet he was the one that was "married" and owed it to his wife to be faithful.

The Will between Rose and Kirsten was a dud because they had no sub story for the rest of the girls, just had Blanche talk about some Paxton/Osgood case she's reading in the newspaper. Yawn.

The Sophia going out and buying a nectarine was a dud episode as well.

Also like to add the Sophia having a "heart attack" was boring, barely a laugh in that episode.

Edited by ShadowSixx
  • Love 1
(edited)

Also like to add the Sophia having a "heart attack" was boring, barely a laugh in that episode.

I don't remember how much I laughed, but I love that episode for Dorothy saying, "If she dies, I'll be an orphan."  And then laughing at herself for such a thought at her age, but noting that when one's parent dies one might as well be six years old.

Also wasn't too fond of the one where the girls take in a pregnant teen, the only good thing about that episode was the secondary story of Blanche and Merrill.

"And stupid.  Stupid, stupid, stupid!"

I know it was dealing with death but didn't care for Phil's funeral.

I like that one.  The show was often problematic in how it dealt with Phil's cross dressing, but I think they got it mostly right this time.  Estelle Getty could have done better with Sophia's speech, but it works for me.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

the only good thing about that episode was the secondary story of Blanche and Merrill.

Actually, Merrill preferred to be called Moose, which according to Sophia was Dorothy's nickname in high school.

Dorothy: "It was not!"

*a few minutes later*

Sophia: "So, Moose..."

Dorothy and Merrill simultaneously: "Yes?"

Me: LOL!

• Love 4
(edited)

I know it was dealing with death but didn't care for Phil's funeral. I mean we never seen the character on screen and whenever Sophia told stories she almost always said "except Phil" so I really felt no connection or anything like that. Maybe if they had Phil visit maybe 2 or 3 times then maybe.

And I [usually a fan of Sophia] thought they let Sophia get away with too much stuff against his widow Angela. First of all, she actually insisted that one reason she hated Angela was due to the dowry check Angela's late father had made BOUNCING and then wouldn't take Angela's check without a driver's license. WHY didn't someone point out that, after a husband dies, the husband's family is supposed to pay the widow the principle of the dowry. Hence, Angela owed HERSELF the money not her owing Sophia. Then, too, if Phil was such a 'great father' why is that NONE of their children made it to the funeral or even had anyone explain their absences?

Still, what saved it for me was that Sophia actually   admitted that a BIG part of her problems with Angela [and Phil] was that she felt guilty over his crossdressing. And, even though it was somewhat uncharacteristic of the character [and the show], it was very moving when Sophia FINALLY broke down and cried 'My baby boy is dead'!

Edited by Blergh

Saw "Sister of the Bride" recently, and it was interesting how the subject of gay marriage was treated in '91, even on a 'gay-friendly' show. It was about halfway through the episode when Blanche's brother broke the news to her, and when he said he and his BF were getting married, there was a big laugh from the audience. It was kind of jarring. So while Blanche was portrayed as a jerk for being uncomfortable with her brother's sexual orientation, the prospect of gay marriage was still a big joke. 

Not sure that belongs in this thread, but just to be on topic: the two GG eps I always skip are the "Empty Nest" pilot and Pepe the boxer. Both a total waste of time.

• Love 2

It was odd that Sophia believed some stranger who could have been trying to rip her off.

Even stranger when both Sophia and Blanche fell for the pigeon drop.  Didn't like that episode at all.

if Phil was such a 'great father' why is that NONE of their children made it to the funeral or even had anyone explain their absences?

That always bugged me, too.  Phil and Angela supposedly had a gaggle of kids, yet not one of them bothers to show up for the funeral?  And, if Sophia had been so mean to Angela all those years, why did Angela agree to have the funeral in Miami where no one knew Phil?  Just dumb.

Saw "Sister of the Bride" recently, and it was interesting how the subject of gay marriage was treated in '91, even on a 'gay-friendly' show. It was about halfway through the episode when Blanche's brother broke the news to her, and when he said he and his BF were getting married, there was a big laugh from the audience. It was kind of jarring. So while Blanche was portrayed as a jerk for being uncomfortable with her brother's sexual orientation, the prospect of gay marriage was still a big joke. 

To be fair, I don't think the audience was laughing at the idea of Clayton and Doug getting married. If you notice, they laugh just as much when Dorothy claps her hand over Sophia's mouth after Clayton says that Doug would bend over backwards for him. IMO they were laughing in anticipation of Blanche's reaction and at the thought of what Sophia would have said if Dorothy hadn't shut her up, not at the information that two men wanted to marry each other.

(edited)

I also think the laughter was in response to Rose's comment immediately after Clayton made the announcement, that brothers and sisters can't marry each other and then she mentioned how she forgot, they were from the South. I've watched that episode plenty and it really seemed the laughter was in response to Rose's cluelessness. 

That always bugged me, too.  Phil and Angela supposedly had a gaggle of kids, yet not one of them bothers to show up for the funeral?  And, if Sophia had been so mean to Angela all those years, why did Angela agree to have the funeral in Miami where no one knew Phil?  Just dumb.

Also, during their confrontation, Angela mentioned Sophia not wanting to set foot in their house but in the episode where Rose was dating Jonathan Newman, Sophia leaves at the start of the episode to attend one of the Phil's children's graduation. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

And in one episode, wasn't Sophia planning to move in with Phil?  Although I think it was because his wife left him, so maybe she would go if Angela wasn't there.

I also think the laughter was in response to Rose's comment immediately after Clayton made the announcement, that brothers and sisters can't marry each other and then she mentioned how she forgot, they were from the South. I've watched that episode plenty and it really seemed the laughter was in response to Rose's cluelessness.

Also, during their confrontation, Angela mentioned Sophia not wanting to set foot in their house but in the episode where Rose was dating Jonathan Newman, Sophia leaves at the start of the episode to attend one of the Phil's children's graduation.

That doesn't necessarily contradict Sophia's vow never to set foot in Phil's house. She could have simply attended the ceremony at the school and come straight home afterwards.

I was also bothered in the "Sister of the Bride" episode when Sophia was selling Dorothy off to get discounts on just about everything for the event. What kind of mother sells their daughter off for discounts?

• Love 4

The kind who claims to sell her daughter to a sultan. And who volunteers her daughter for psychological experiments. And who once told her daughter to find someone who looks clean to drive her home from school. And...

• Love 3

No, before Sophia leaves, Dorothy specifically states how the four boys were giving up their room for Sophia...she was definitely staying with them.

I think this was when they were separated.  Maybe they had the funeral there so Sophia could visit the grave easily.

(edited)

The moment that's always high on my list for the worst is definitely Rose's reaction after finding her daughter and Michael in bed together. I was fine with Rose's ridiculous naivete that her daughter was some special snowflake virgin but the way she quickly snapped into mean-spirited mode about Michael really bothered me.

Dorothy was supposed to be her best friend and she not only calls the woman's son a loser but implies he took advantage of her precious daughter. And then after all that, she gets all indignant and offended at Dorothy calling her daughter a tramp for hooking up with a guy she'd only known for a few hours.

Sure Dorothy was harsh with that comment but I felt like at that point she was just responding to Rose's attitude in kind. And I hated that Blanche wanted her to go and apologize to Rose and I liked that Dorothy said that she had feelings too. Because it was perfectly okay for Rose to insult her son but precious, delicate Rose can't handle hearing anything negative about her daughter. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 8

Rose was awful in that situation - and when she lashed out at Blanche while waiting for her HIV test results - but I do like that they all were shown to be pretty awful from time to time despite being fundamentally good people.

Like you, I feel like Dorothy was largely responding in kind.  It's disappointing to hear some sexist double standard come out of her mouth, but it's believable, especially in light of what Rose was throwing at her.

• Love 1

Yeah, Dorothy was being reasonable at first. She was upset*, but she wasn't out of control. Rose was the one who opened fire by saying Michael wasn't good enough for Bridget, then flat out saying he was a loser when Dorothy said her son was a talented artist. Dorothy only flipped her shit because Rose had this weird idea that her daughter had never seen a man either. You know, a man....

*I always think its a little silly that everyone got so spun out in the first place. You would think that living with Blanche, with her airbag-equipped headboard, they'd have been accustomed to shenanigans about sex. Especially in light of the information about Rose and her fifty six boyfriends in one year.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I can understand them being upset the "kids" had sex in the house.  They're family, yes, but they're guests.  They were out and about and felt the need to hit the sheets and, instead of getting a room, they came back to the house and got in someone else's bed.  Running the risk that exactly what happened would happen: they were walked in on, by their mothers and grandmother.  It's tacky.

I didn't like Rose's reaction when her mother visited. She wouldn't let Alma do anything, not even a tour of the house like her mother was so helpless. I do agree about Rose upset about her boyfriend retiring and basically wanted to sit around for a minute. She really didn't give him a chance to see what he wanted to do yet. There was also the time she wanted more adventure in her relationship with Miles by taking sky diving lessons which caused him to end up in the hospital and didn't like that he was frugal which turned out that Rose didn't really pitch in money wise whenever they went out.

• Love 3

*I always think its a little silly that everyone got so spun out in the first place. You would think that living with Blanche, with her airbag-equipped headboard, they'd have been accustomed to shenanigans about sex. Especially in light of the information about Rose and her fifty six boyfriends in one year.

Thank you!  I am always alone on that one.

I don't think it was the sex per se but the fact that it was their children and they essentially had a hook-up in one of their beds. I think it had more to do with the situation being awkward more than anything else. 

• Love 1

I think the awkwardness of that scene as well as the other "walk in on sex" scenes is that the person who walks in and stays there and then even more people come into the room.  In reality, if someone were to walk in on two people in bed together, they would most likely walk right back out and go away no matter how shocked they are.

(edited)

Awkward yes, but they act as if a moral sin had been committed.

I don't know, I understood why Dorothy and Sophia were upset at Michael. Again, if he and Bridget wanted to have sex so badly they could have gone to a motel but hooking up after knowing each other for a day in the same house that both their parents were living in was putting everyone in an unnecessarily uncomfortable and awkward position. And I really think that is what Dorothy and Sophia were most upset about. Rose is the one who really went off the handle because she had her stupid naive blinders on that her daughter was an adult woman who had long been having sex. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I don't think it was the sex per se but the fact that it was their children and they essentially had a hook-up in one of their beds. I think it had more to do with the situation being awkward more than anything else. 

Well, come on, they were behind closed doors, it's not like they were behind the garbage cans or in front of everybody! :-P

I think this was when they were separated.  Maybe they had the funeral there so Sophia could visit the grave easily.

You're talking about Phil's funeral? There was a line in that episode where Angela says that they buried Phil in Miami because that's where the family plot is.

Maybe she was talking about her own family's plot? Because it doesn't make much sense that the Zbornak family plot would be in Miami.

I don't know, I understood why Dorothy and Sophia were upset at Michael. Again, if he and Bridget wanted to have sex so badly they could have gone to a motel but hooking up after knowing each other for a day in the same house that both their parents were living in was putting everyone in an unnecessarily uncomfortable and awkward position. And I really think that is what Dorothy and Sophia were most upset about. Rose is the one who really went off the handle because she had her stupid naive blinders on that her daughter was an adult woman who had long been having sex. 

I think we can all agree that the kids should have gotten a hotel room.

But the reaction from the girls went way beyond, "They should have done it somewhere else." From the level of outrage, you would have thought that they'd found a father and daughter in bed together.

• Love 1

You're talking about Phil's funeral? There was a line in that episode where Angela says that they buried Phil in Miami because that's where the family plot is.

Maybe she was talking about her own family's plot? Because it doesn't make much sense that the Zbornak family plot would be in Miami.

Actually, it was Sophia who said that Angela was probably mad because Phil was being buried in the family plot. Which kind of makes me wonder why Sophia didn't know he was being buried in a teddy, or according to Dorothy, as if he'd died in a Benny Hill sketch. Wouldn't she have seen his burial outfit if she'd arranged for him to be buried with the family?

(edited)

Actually, it was Sophia who said that Angela was probably mad because Phil was being buried in the family plot. Which kind of makes me wonder why Sophia didn't know he was being buried in a teddy, or according to Dorothy, as if he'd died in a Benny Hill sketch. Wouldn't she have seen his burial outfit if she'd arranged for him to be buried with the family?

It sounds like Sophia arranged for the service - which gave her a chance to tell the priest that Phil had an IQ of 160 - but Angela was the one who took care of having the body sent to Miami and choosing the outfit.

Edited by Blakeston

In addition to "Brother, Can You Spare That Jacket?" and the failed "Empty Nest" spin-off, I have to say my least favorite episodes are the two episodes in season seven where Bea Arthur is absent most of the episode.  She goes on a cruise in one episode and Blanche has to take care of Sophia, who goes to Sicily, and the other episode involves Dorothy going on a date and the other girls telling stories about dates, which features that horrible New Year's Eve with Blanche with the former priest and Rose with the slimy, lying adulterer.

I don't know what the story is behind Bea Arthur missing those shows, but if it was the producers' way of testing a Dorothy-less "Golden Girls." they should have known "Golden Palace" wasn't going to work.  Just awful.

• Love 1

I actually like the one with the former priest, who was played by Fred Willard. The look on Blanche;s face when she figures out the guy is a virgin and has never even been out on a date is priceless, and then she says, "Oh, this brings out the artist in me."

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Actually, Merrill preferred to be called Moose, which according to Sophia was Dorothy's nickname in high school.

Dorothy: "It was not!"

*a few minutes later*

Sophia: "So, Moose..."

Dorothy and Merrill simultaneously: "Yes?"

Me: LOL!

I still lol every time I see that.

My selection would have to be the way Sophia treats Blanche's obese daughter Rebecca. The jokes were not funny imo and just cruel. That scene changed the way I viewed Sophia for the rest of the series.

And I forget what episode in the final season , but the scene where Dorothy flashes back to being trained like a rat in a maze. "Left. Right. Must find the cheese." That scene just seemed way too forced and awkward and the joke fell flat. 

• Love 4

It's Dorothy and Rose who bother me most in the episode with overweight Rebecca (well, besides "Frank Fontana" as the asshole boyfriend).  Sophia at least has an excuse for saying the things she says (although not for thinking them), but for Dorothy and Rose to do so is quite jarring.

• Love 1

It's Dorothy and Rose who bother me most in the episode with overweight Rebecca (well, besides "Frank Fontana" as the asshole boyfriend).  Sophia at least has an excuse for saying the things she says (although not for thinking them), but for Dorothy and Rose to do so is quite jarring.

My grandmother had the same condition Sophia had. She had a stroke, and lost the ability to censor what she said. (It was pretty jarring - she was the sweetest little old lady, and then she'd say something like, "I just wish my cat would die already.")

And I can say without any hesitation that if she had ever made a comment about someone being fat, she would have been mortified a moment later. I don't give Sophia a complete pass on her behavior, because I don't think she was the slightest bit bothered by the horribly inappropriate things that came out of her mouth. I doubt she censored herself much before the stroke.

• Love 1

Sophia as a real person would become insufferable rather quickly.  As a sitcom character, though, she largely works for me, and at least her actions in the Rebecca episode are consistent with who she's been throughout the series.  What bothers me about Dorothy and Rose joining in is the fact it's pretty out of step with even their "it's a sitcom so liberties can be taken" characterization.  It's just not them; they have their flaws, certainly, but talking about a perfectly nice young woman they care about by proxy who happens to be overweight as if she's a grotesque creature isn't in line with those flaws.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

Having Rose say, "We didn't expect you to be this fat." Is kind of low for Rose cause she's generally the nicest of all the four girls.

I didn't like Dorothy when she was teaching the night class for those that didn't get their GEd and she found out that Rose was in the class and she told Rose that she couldn't stay. I was like Why? Then at the end when Rose told her that she got a question right Dorothy had a look on her face and the way she told Rose that she was a high school graduate was bothersome. She acted like it pained her to have Rose pass. Shouldn't she be more happy for her friend?

• Love 4

It sounds like Sophia arranged for the service - which gave her a chance to tell the priest that Phil had an IQ of 160 - but Angela was the one who took care of having the body sent to Miami and choosing the outfit.

Which, for the love of God, will someone please finally explan to me why a man who had apparently never lived in Miami was buried there? Or why the family plot was there, for that matter?

The Miami as ground zero for things that made no sense always drove me nuts.

• Love 2

What bothers me about Dorothy and Rose joining in is the fact it's pretty out of step with even their "it's a sitcom so liberties can be taken" characterization.  It's just not them; they have their flaws, certainly, but talking about a perfectly nice young woman they care about by proxy who happens to be overweight as if she's a grotesque creature isn't in line with those flaws.

Count me in as someone who didn't like what they did with Rose saying, "We didn't expect you to be so fat."

They tried to pass it off as Rose blurting out the truth like a little kid, without meaning any harm. But that seems pretty clueless even for Rose - and why the hell wouldn't she realize a moment later that she'd said something awful? (They could have at least shown her holding her hand up to her mouth after she said it.)

But what did Dorothy do that bothered you? She didn't mock Rebecca's weight.

• Love 1

But what did Dorothy do that bothered you? She didn't mock Rebecca's weight.

I can't speak for Bastet, but Dorothy bothered me because she was usually so quick to hush Sophia with one of her patented exclamations of "Ma!" but she didn't do that here. Even pretending that Rebecca was the fattest person who ever lived, which she wasn't, Dorothy was always the first to shut Sophia down and not let her get away with saying so. The "Sometimes I just love to hug my mommy!" thing springs immediately to mind, for instance.

I thought Dorothy did say something (about her, not to her), although I can't think of the line so I may be misremembering that.  But she didn't react to Sophia or Rose saying things like she normally would, as if she wasn't bothered by it.  It was just such an odd episode for me; first of all, they act as if Rebecca is huge when she's just rather averagely overweight and, second, there are comments flying around without the usual step of one character (often Dorothy) standing in for the audience by reacting - in look or word - to the inappropriateness.

• Love 1