Type keyword(s) to search

Worst of Golden Girls: Your Least Favorite Moments

• Start Topic

I wanted to slap Blanche at the end of that episode. Becky dumped that tool and came to make amends with Blanche, and that meanie face wouldn't even let Becky have a piece of cheesecake! For God sakes, they acted like she was a bedridden monster.

• Love 12

What I never got was why Becky was recast. Maybe the actress wasn't available, which is fine. But why not just have Becky #2 as another daughter/relative who wanted a baby alone? (I know I'm thinking much, much too deeply about a sitcom. LOL! But it always kind of bugged me, after all the big deal made of accepting Becky as is that the show turned around and recast her with a more conventional actress.)

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, HoboClayton said:

I wanted to slap Blanche at the end of that episode. Becky dumped that tool and came to make amends with Blanche, and that meanie face wouldn't even let Becky have a piece of cheesecake! For God sakes, they acted like she was a bedridden monster.

This is the same woman who changed what restaurant they were gonna eat at because Clayton said "Really" about the waiters wearing tight pants or shorts forgot which one.

• Love 7

We know the continuity errors are huge and constant and this isn't in that category, but how did no one -- including Bea, Rue, Betty or Estelle -- call foul when the dad finally picks up the baby they've been watching, saying he couldn't get there sooner because his wife just had triplets?  Emily (I think that was her name) was still an infant, so that story thread was impossible.  I just don't get why during the first read through, somebody didn't pick up on that.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ButterQueen said:

I did not like the one with the Housekeeper.  It just wasn't reasonable for all the girls to act like that.

I only watch this episode for the scene of one of the housekeepers telling the girls that she worked at San Quentin "I saw violence, I saw despair. I saw Johnny Cash eight times."

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Maherjunkie said:

I would think it would depend on how old Emily was?  Tori  Spelling just had one child and weeks later was pregnant again.

Very true.  I was born in February 1961 and my brother was born in October 1962, which means that he would have been conceived only eleven months after I was born.

14 hours ago, Maherjunkie said:

I would think it would depend on how old Emily was?  Tori  Spelling just had one child and weeks later was pregnant again.

When they showed Emily, she didn't look more than 6 months old.

• Love 1

The doll baby they used was very, very small. No way it could've passed for an eight or nine month old baby. It's almost like the writers were trolling the audience with all the ridiculous continuity errors. I can't think of another show where the details were such a mixed-up mess.

• Love 4

There was an episode where Blanche wakes up next to a stranger (big surprise).  She ends up liking the man, until she finds out he is...horror..A Pharmacist!  She then makes the comment she only dates judges and doctors.

• Was being a pharmacist really that bad in the eighties?
  • Blanche could be over the top with her southern belleness, but I do not remember her being that snobby or particular.
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, qtpye said:

There was an episode where Blanche wakes up next to a stranger (big surprise).  She ends up liking the man, until she finds out he is...horror..A Pharmacist!  She then makes the comment she only dates judges and doctors.

• Blanche could be over the top with her southern belleness, but I do not remember her being that snobby or particular.

I just thought it was because a pharmacist seemed so boring in comparison to an exciting war hero

• Love 4
1 minute ago, DOBABYR said:

I just thought it was because a pharmacist seemed so boring in comparison to an exciting war hero

Was Blanche a secret agent spy herself?  I'm not arguing with you, but it was such a stupid plotpoint.

1 minute ago, qtpye said:

Was Blanche a secret agent spy herself?  I'm not arguing with you, but it was such a stupid plotpoint.

Oh yes a terrible! plot.... He came back from the war and she couldn't remember him...goes on a date and hear all of his war stories and starts liking him...then he says he will begin work as a pharmacist again... and Blanche is all like oh no ewww a boring pill guy.... WTH WRITERS

• Love 1
2 hours ago, DOBABYR said:

Oh yes a terrible! plot.... He came back from the war and she couldn't remember him...goes on a date and hear all of his war stories and starts liking him...then he says he will begin work as a pharmacist again... and Blanche is all like oh no ewww a boring pill guy.... WTH WRITERS

So true and him being a pharmacist does not make him any less of a war hero.  Many brave people served and then came back to their normal jobs after their tour was over.  One of the writers must have had a sibling that was a pharmacist, that they thought was a real loser, because it really was a wtf plot.

• Love 3

So true and him being a pharmacist does not make him any less of a war hero

Wasn't that the lesson Blanche learned at the end of the episode?

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, BBHN said:

Wasn't that the lesson Blanche learned at the end of the episode?

Yes, when she saw him with one of his customers.  A woman came in (speaking Spanish, but when he replied to her he included a couple of Spanish words but gave all the important information [e.g. dosage instructions] in English, which always distracts me) needing something to help her sick child, he gave her some medicine and recommended a doctor if the kid didn't improve.  Blanche told him he is a hero.

• Love 3

How long could he have been "at war" anyway?  And what war was he fighting in?  The US was involved in military conflicts at the time but you wouldn't refer to it as being "at war" since no war was declared.  And the Cold War wasn't that kind of war.  Also, Blanche tells everyone about her men yet he apparently pre-dates Dorothy and Rose moving in since they don't know anything about him.  This was in the final season so he was "at war" for more than seven years?  He never came home?  Never wrote Blanche who was supposed to be waiting for him?  Also also, if they'd only gone on one date why would he think she'd wait for him?  This isn't the forties when people married hours before getting shipped off to war.  This is the eighties and Blanche is already a widow with grandchildren.  None of this made any sense and I always have questions. 

• Love 6

I always assumed that it was the Gulf War (1991-ish) and that Dorothy and Rose just couldn't keep track of Blanche's many, many men.   But yeah, IMO it's definitely not a strong episode.

1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

This isn't the forties when people married hours before getting shipped off to war. 

Which reminds me of Dorothy's quote alluding to one of my favorite movies:  "These aren't the best years of your life.  They're the last years of your life!"

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
10 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

I always assumed that it was the Gulf War (1991-ish) and that Dorothy and Rose just couldn't keep track of Blanche's many, many men.

It was. This is the description from the Golden Girls wiki: "A Persian Gulf soldier, whom Blanche cannot remember, returns to win her back; he charges her with the promise he says she made to him before he left: that she would be his and only his."

I hated Bill the Pharmacist. He goes to war, he and Blanche never write, they had ONE date before he shipped out, and he comes back thinking they're in a serious relationship and she's ready to spend the rest of her life with him? Ass. A lot of the relationships in the show were rushed--in fact, much as I loathe Miles, he's the only long-term boyfriend that was given more than two episodes. But still, Bill irks my very soul. 

I also thought Blanche was right about how incompatible she and Jake were, and the other girls gave her a lot of undeserved grief for being a snob. Yes, Jake was an objectively wonderful guy, but he wasn't the guy for her. Compatibility is important, people, you're not obliged to be with someone just because they're kind. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

I hated Bill the Pharmacist. He goes to war, he and Blanche never write, they had ONE date before he shipped out, and he comes back thinking they're in a serious relationship and she's ready to spend the rest of her life with him? Ass. A lot of the relationships in the show were rushed--in fact, much as I loathe Miles, he's the only long-term boyfriend that was given more than two episodes. But still, Bill irks my very soul. 

I also thought Blanche was right about how incompatible she and Jake were, and the other girls gave her a lot of undeserved grief for being a snob. Yes, Jake was an objectively wonderful guy, but he wasn't the guy for her. Compatibility is important, people, you're not obliged to be with someone just because they're kind. 

I wouldn't have worried about it.   The whole point of dating is to determine whether there's enough of a solid foundation upon which to build a long-term relationship.  I imagine Blanche and Bill went out a few times after she decided to give him a shot and reached the mutual conclusion that they weren't right for each other.  It happens.

What really bothered me about that episode is what a snob Blanche was about Bill being a pharmacist.  It's a fine profession, requiring quite a bit of schooling.  She apparently preferred swarthy sailors to someone with a quite respectable profession.

• Love 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, camom said:

What really bothered me about that episode is what a snob Blanche was about Bill being a pharmacist.  It's a fine profession, requiring quite a bit of schooling.  She apparently preferred swarthy sailors to someone with a quite respectable profession.

You raise a valid point.  Although Blanche was a woman who, like Will Rogers, never met a man she didn't like, it's clear that she really did have a type, and Jake really wouldn't have been her type. It's the same reason that I have a problem believing that a nebbishy guy like Doug (the man Dorothy "borrowed" from the "Blanche Deveraux Collection" for a date) would ever have even been on Blanche's radar, much less an "A-lister."  On the other hand, given the fact that she did consider Doug a prize and that she also dated a lot of other men whom I would never have associated with her, maybe she didn't really have a type, other than "must have a penis and a pulse."

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, camom said:

To be fair, it was swarthy sailors who taught them how to make souvlaki!

7 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

You raise a valid point.  Although Blanche was a woman who, like Will Rogers, never met a man she didn't like, it's clear that she really did have a type, and Jake really wouldn't have been her type. It's the same reason that I have a problem believing that a nebbishy guy like Doug (the man Dorothy "borrowed" from the "Blanche Deveraux Collection" for a date) would ever have even been on Blanche's radar, much less an "A-lister."  On the other hand, given the fact that she did consider Doug a prize and that she also dated a lot of other men whom I would never have associated with her, maybe she didn't really have a type, other than "must have a penis and a pulse."

Doug was a judge, wasn't he? I guess he was "refined" enough to be an acceptable partner for Blanche.

Even though most people understand the amount of schooling pharmacists go through, many people still have the idea that they aren't that special because they mostly work in chain stores (aka retail) and aren't "real" doctors. An unfair assumption but one that's out there nonetheless. I think in the 80s/90s, this was probably even a more prevalent belief.

I agree that episode is weird, but I do like that scene at the end. However, Bill was never seen or heard from again (as were most beaus on this show). 

• Love 1
On 4/15/2014 at 0:35 AM, TrininisaScorp said:

Lastly, I loathe the hurricane episode where Stan and Gloria sleep together and it's Dorothy who is seen as unreasonable in the situation.  It actually makes me mad whenver I see it.

Came to this thread specifically to see if this episode was mentioned. It's on my tv right now and it's appalling! Always been one of the most WTF? moments on the show. Sophia's behavior especially is terrible, actually encouraging Gloria and Stan's relationship. This episode plot makes no sense at all.

• Love 6
On 10/5/2016 at 6:01 PM, DOBABYR said:

Miles didn't bother me but Stan and cousin Angelo did...

Miles was hit and miss (mostly miss) and I kind of liked Uncle Angelo - but Stan was the worst. I'll never get why Dorothy kept falling for him. He made her miserable and she regretted their entire relationship, but then she almost married him again. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Gothish520 said:

Miles was hit and miss (mostly miss) and I kind of liked Uncle Angelo - but Stan was the worst. I'll never get why Dorothy kept falling for him. He made her miserable and she regretted their entire relationship, but then she almost married him again. 

Yes, the fact that Stan married and divorced two more wives (Chrissy and Katherine) should have been a giant red flag to Dorothy about how bad Stan was when it came to relationships. But like a moth to a flame, she kept going back for more. For a smart girl, Dorothy was really dumb when it came to Stan. 

• Love 3
On 11/18/2017 at 4:48 PM, Miss Chevious said:

Yes, the fact that Stan married and divorced two more wives (Chrissy and Katherine) should have been a giant red flag to Dorothy about how bad Stan was when it came to relationships. But like a moth to a flame, she kept going back for more. For a smart girl, Dorothy was really dumb when it came to Stan. 

Dorothy was an idiot when it came to men in general. The amount of times she would blurt out random things to men (like for example Jake: “Your chest!” Or something of that nature). So much second hand embarrassment. She had no idea how to talk to people she was attracted to and would act like a nervous teenager. So embarrassing. 

But the Gloria/Stan episodes make me twitch. Gloria was an egotistical narcissist and Stan was a scumbag. And Sophia, who showed her ass all throughout the series, really showed her true colors in that one. I wouldn’t blame Dorothy if she had chosen to never talk to anyone of them again  

The way I interpreted The Judge Doug and why he was on the A list was he would clear Blanche’s traffic tickets. She said she hadn’t paid one in six months. Somethings always in it for her even when it seems like there isn’t lol. Not sure why Dorothy would be into him tho; I wouldn’t want to be with someone who’s screwed my roommate who I consider a family member, you know?

• Love 3

I actually love the hurricane episodes just because there's so many hilarious moments in that one. "I'm not patronizing you--I'm a-mocking you." Rose's little ditty on the piano, "I Never Thought I'd Grow a Hair There." Blanche's final plea to the cameraman. 

That episode is definitely Sophia at her worst though. I've always thought Sophia seemed like a pretty toxic mother (for Dorothy at least). There's definitely love in there, but too much belittling mean-spiritedness to be healthy.

• Love 3
On 7/19/2017 at 9:35 AM, Madding crowd said:

I thought many of Blanche's men were unattractive and looked way older than her. 

With the men most of them weren't winners. Like Sophia said, "Need I remind the three of you of the yutz parade that's been through this house." They had some nice looking men.

Blanche - Jake, John Quinn

Rose - Miles & Arnie lol

Dorothy - Det. Mullins, Ken, John Neretti

I'm still amazed at how they thought Blanche would even sleep with Gil Kessler. Too bad Blanche could never get her hands on Dr. Harry Weston. Now I'm saying this if I was their ages and if I would date them.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ShadowSixx said:

With the men most of them weren't winners. Like Sophia said, "Need I remind the three of you of the yutz parade that's been through this house." They had some nice looking men.

Blanche - Jake, John Quinn

Rose - Miles & Arnie lol

Dorothy - Det. Mullins, Ken, John Neretti

You forgot Blanche's uncle Lucas (whom Dorothy ended up marrying).  Leslie Nielsen was a definite looker.  There's a reason that most of his career consisted of playing dramatic leading roles.  It wasn't until the late 70s/early 80s that he switched exclusively to comedy.

• Love 2

I really wish that the girls had stable relationships because Rose was the only one with Miles. Blanche & John Quinn would have been a good couple and they probably would have gotten away with some blind jokes. As long as it was tastefully done. I think Dorothy & Det. Mullins would have been a good couple.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, BBHN said:

Dorothy's green and purple pajamas she wore on her date with John Noretti were just...wow.

Just wow...awful! I can't imagine that those clothes were attractive at the time but now....good lord! 

He's quite a good looking man and that's what you choose to wear! 

• Love 3

I think Bea looked best in slacks and sweaters, not that either made sense in Miami weather,  but so much better than most of her other outfits.   The dress she wore when she almost re-married Stan was light years better than the toilet roll one when she married Lucas.  That whole wedding was crazy: Didn't Dorothy see that Stan was the driver when she got in the limo (driver usually opens the door, etc.), who were all those people in the church (calling Central Casting), and why was Dorothy still packing just before she and Lucas left for their honeymoon?  We know that throughout the series attention to detail and continuity didn't matter much, so I shouldn't have been surprised.

• Love 1

Very few of their outfits made sense in Miami weather. I’m a Floridian and I can tell you we wear shorts and tee shirts for most of the year. For the few times it’s cold (like 50-60 degrees) we wear jeans and long sleeves. I think I can recall only one time Rose wore shorts (the Wiedenflogen episode) and it wasn’t even during the heat wave when they wore stiflingly inappropriate clothing. For example it’s four days before Christmas and it’s 75 degrees here today, 78 tomorrow. 

• Love 1
On 7/12/2017 at 10:39 AM, qtpye said:

The fact that people are still talking about an episode of a show that went off the air in May 1992 makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

A pharmacist is a great and lucrative career that takes a lot of schooling.  What is wrong, Blanche?

My peeve date:  Dick Van Dyke as the clown lawyer.  I just......ick.  It was way too set up and I never cared for it.  I never really cared for Dick Van Dyke so that never helped.  (Ducking tomatoes now)

On 12/15/2017 at 6:06 PM, Miss Chevious said:

Dorothy and John Neretti would’ve been a good couple too.

I agree.  Hal Linden aged very well!!

Another cringe worthy line?  Rose:  "He wants to take things slow?  Well how does that make you feel, Blanche?"  "Like a lady."  Just ugh.......  I love Ken Howard, though....very yummy.

On 5/14/2017 at 8:07 PM, schnauzergirl said:

call foul when the dad finally picks up the baby they've been watching, saying he couldn't get there sooner because his wife just had triplets?

No one asked him for any ID!  Just come on in and pick up a baby!!  

• Love 2