Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

Pearlite, yesterday afternoon the Snowbirds and a CF-18 flew right over my house - I was so excited ? (I'm a bit of an aviation geek). On Wednesday, I went to an airshow in Brantford with my father, and the CF-18 and Snowbirds performed. Where I live in Mississauga is on the flight path of air traffic arriving and departing on the longest runway at Pearson, so we have planes over our house all the time, but the military aircraft are much more exciting ?

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, Capricasix said:

Pearlite, yesterday afternoon the Snowbirds and a CF-18 flew right over my house - I was so excited ? (I'm a bit of an aviation geek). On Wednesday, I went to an airshow in Brantford with my father, and the CF-18 and Snowbirds performed. Where I live in Mississauga is on the flight path of air traffic arriving and departing on the longest runway at Pearson, so we have planes over our house all the time, but the military aircraft are much more exciting ?

I remember, Capricasix, that you're an aviation fan!

Actually, if I were at the Ex or even out at the lakeshore, I'd really enjoy the show--sitting here doing paperwork, I just get cranky... My daughter likes to walk at Humber Bay Park, where the planes do their turnaround, down really low, and she kind of enjoyed seeing/hearing it. [I do remember seeing the Concorde on its only fly-thru at the air show; it was breathtaking to see it so close.]

• Love 3
5 hours ago, pearlite said:

I'm sending my daughter back down to New Haven tomorrow morning--sniff, sniff. I'll miss her.

Labour Day always gives me anxiety icks, even without her departure--comes from working in academic environments where it all starts up again. Blech. And in the west end of TO, we have the CNE airshow overhead, referred to as Death from Above; super-noisy.

(((pearlite)))

My daughter Skypes us twice a week from England, and I wring out my handkerchief after. Mr. Stunt and I are attempting to organize a vacation there next Saturday. He cleared ten days on his schedule and I have vacation time to use before the first of next year.

I'm working/training temps for the Gimme booth at the Los Angeles County Fair this weekend -- Death By Deep Fat Fryer and very noisy. I'm eating a cheddar cheese and apple pierogi; it hits all the fair food hallmarks of salty, sweet, silky mouth-feel, OOT calorie load, and addicting. It's hard to believe people have to be trained to hand out free crap to willing takers, but duties have to be clearly explained ... several times ... in detail.

For fun, my father sent this to me: 

And remember: don’t forget to hydrate!

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 7
55 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

7 miles of Burbank urban sprawl between us and the La Tuna fire.

That's terrifying!

Try this image; maybe more soothing--from daughter waiting in Niagara Falls to cross the border.

IMG_0706.JPG

Edited by pearlite
?
  • Love 6

Fires on the left coast, hurricanes on the right.  For a while the forecast tracks had Irma coming right up the Chesapeake Bay.  When a Category 4 hits this area (I'm not saying if, because I know at some point Southeastern Va. is going to get it again) this area will be devastated.  Back in 2003 I think it was, Hurricane Isabel came up through NC and then through Va.  A tree did come down and hit a glancing blow off our garage.  The next door neighbors had a pine come right through their roof.  When a hurricane comes through the wind blows for hours.  With each gust you think, please let this gust be the last one!  We have had bad flooding here, but not on the scale of Houston and Katrina.  If those storms become the norm Heaven help us. The power outages from Isabel were widespread.  Ours was off for over a week!  It was like a throwback to the 1890s.  When the sun went down we went to sleep.  If you had a grill you fixed all the food in your fridge before it spoiled.  The other awful thing--with no power you can't buy gas.  If you don't have gas you can't go anywhere.  Honestly I am always on edge in late Aug. through early Oct.  It's terrible watching those damn things come across the Atlantic and wondering where they are going to hit.  I echo everyone else's sentiments:  Preverts everywhere stay safe!

Of possible interest to aviation buffs:  Air Force 1 practices touch and goes at the airport here in town.  It flies very low, much lower than commercial aircraft.  It's gone right over my house!  It is a very beautiful sight. 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, pearlite said:

That's terrifying!

Try this image; maybe more soothing--from daughter waiting in Niagara Falls to cross the border.

IMG_0706.JPG

Thank you, pearlite. That is one of the most exhilarating places I've ever visited. I know there's a lot of tourist kitsch, but the Maid of the Mist tour swept that aside. I took it four times in the three days I was at Niagara Falls

The fire season is very scary this year. Mr. Stunt took a Suburban full of photo albums, home movies, Thing 1 and 2's history boxes, clothes, food, water, camping equipment, important paperwork and memory drives to my old condo downtown (the renter moved end of August and I was in the process of having the place painted and new appliances installed). Thing 2 is in a safe area by UCLA, but he has a bag packed in case and a key to the condo. The biggest battle will be to get Melvin in the cat carrier.

We won't be leaving for vacation; Mr.Stunt's business will have to move to temporary quarters in Studio City -- his employees are packing and moving everything that isn't nailed down, while trying to work on 4 projects -- a logistical nightmare.

Yeah, nerves are fraying and the Santa Ana winds haven't started driving people crazy yet.

5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

That is terrifying. Please be safe CS and other Southern California Preverts. Eastern Washington is also on fire.

The extremes on both coasts (west coast fires and Tropical Depression Lidia, Hurricane Irma on the east coast, with post-hurricane clean up in Texas and Louisiana), there's a lot to be concerned about.

• Love 10
11 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Thank you, pearlite. That is one of the most exhilarating places I've ever visited. I know there's a lot of tourist kitsch, but the Maid of the Mist tour swept that aside. I took it four times in the three days I was at Niagara Falls

The fire season is very scary this year. Mr. Stunt took a Suburban full of photo albums, home movies, Thing 1 and 2's history boxes, clothes, food, water, camping equipment, important paperwork and memory drives to my old condo downtown (the renter moved end of August and I was in the process of having the place painted and new appliances installed). Thing 2 is in a safe area by UCLA, but he has a bag packed in case and a key to the condo. The biggest battle will be to get Melvin in the cat carrier.

We won't be leaving for vacation; Mr.Stunt's business will have to move to temporary quarters in Studio City -- his employees are packing and moving everything that isn't nailed down, while trying to work on 4 projects -- a logistical nightmare.

Yeah, nerves are fraying and the Santa Ana winds haven't started driving people crazy yet.

The extremes on both coasts (west coast fires and Tropical Depression Lidia, Hurricane Irma on the east coast, with post-hurricane clean up in Texas and Louisiana), there's a lot to be concerned about.

I remember now, you were planning to visit your child in London, right?  And now this......

There are no adequate words.  Be safe.  

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Oh, CS, I can only imagine what this must do to your nerves!

My prayers are with you.

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

ick.  it is supposed to reach 30c today and when i look outside it's kind of eery looking..

smoke from the wild fires is back, air quality is terrible and i'm in a bad mood.

It's very eerie looking here too. The sky is yellow and we woke up to ashes covering our cars. The sky is casting orangish pools of light on our floors. It looks apocalyptic outside.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 6

oh my gosh, any preverts in the florida region?

hurricane irma is on the way, it's already a cat.5 and has apparently surpassed other hurricanes.

saw pics of places in florida and residents are in the stores getting supplies, plywood, water etc.

• Love 6
Just now, valleycliffe said:

hurricane irma is on the way, it's already a cat.5 and has apparently surpassed other hurricanes.

saw pics of places in florida and residents are in the stores getting supplies, plywood, water etc.

Followed by hurricane Joel. What is the one that will start with K?

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

kompromat

fuck a ladylike golf clap from me --  this got snorts and cheers ; )

On 9/3/2017 at 10:23 AM, Petunia13 said:

Today is my birthday 

Happy Belated, Petunia! :) 

nancy.jpg

Edited by film noire
  • Love 8

Thank you everyone for your prayers and concern.

There was a temperature drop and some moisture from Tropical Depression Lidia late last night into the morning that slowed down the fire and helped the fire suppression. The last fire notice stated most of the La Tuna fire is contained, with fire crews putting out hot spots and clearing brush before the temperatures rise again. The immediate fire is essentially done, but the danger isn't over. I was out to the transmitter this morning, and the Verdugo Mountains are scorched. 

With Mr. Stunt's business in upheaval, we're going to shoot for a Thanksgiving visit to see Thing 1. 

kompromat

*dead*

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 9

I am so very sorry you're going through this on top of everything else. It's amazing you've been able to keep your sense of humor. I think I'd be on a water tower with a rifle by this point if I had to deal with all the crap you've been through lately.  (((((hugs)))))

• Love 6
57 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

There’s a lot to be said for life in California; I just can’t remember any of it right now.

Thank you, Baby Jesus for drive-thru liquor stores.

I wish we had those in the Bay area.  I don't even drive but I could get up to a brisk walk.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

OMG! I love Nancy Drew! Especially the ones from the thirties and forties.

Petunia made me smile by posting a great Nancy Drew photo in another forum,  so it seemed only fair to return the favor :)

• Love 6

@Petunia13, I don't know if this would be of interest or apply to you, but for some people glasses blocking certain waves of light are helpful for people with dyslexia or who see letters moving around on the pages. 

http://irlen.com/headache-and-migrane-research/

I recently learned about that at an on line migraine summit. I myself wear Theraspecs and they really help me with migraines.

It's not the eyes, it's the communication between the eyes and the brain.

https://www.theraspecs.com

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, SweePea59 said:

@Petunia13, I don't know if this would be of interest or apply to you, but for some people glasses blocking certain waves of light are helpful for people with dyslexia or who see letters moving around on the pages. 

http://irlen.com/headache-and-migrane-research/

I recently learned about that at an on line migraine summit. I myself wear Theraspecs and they really help me with migraines.

It's not the eyes, it's the communication between the eyes and the brain.

https://www.theraspecs.com

Oh my Gosh this is a big help. I don't think I mentioned I do get migraines and headaches often. I like the "Audrey" style. 

• Love 7
20 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

My brother and his family are in Ft Myers and they are gearing up for it to hit Sat.  I'm hoping it will swing out to the Atlantic and lose momentum.

20 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

What is the one that will start with K?

Kraptastrophe

Edited by MollyB
spellun
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

he will more than likely have a huge crowd outside of the venue to cheer him on..he typically does when he appears anywhere.

10k huh....wish i was rich.

hillary is going to be charging 3000 k when she appears in vancouver..

I held my nose and voted for Hillary but I wouldn't pay a nickel to see her. Barack, however is a whole nother thing.

• Love 4

sheesh, i just read that in tacoma, a pregnant woman was refused service in a restaurant cause she was wearing a crop top and you can see her belly...the server said she was violating the health code...

so, if say kylie jenner or her sister who wear even more revealing clothes went there, would they be denied service too?

• Love 2