Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Sorry if anyone was insulted but the mention of Beowulf set me off. I can't imagine low-key bragging about having read it--or more like having been forced to read it in high school. As soon as someone (else) mentions Mensa, I'm out. ಠ_ಠ  (Because there's been enough of that on the Big Brother forum, as if this season couldn't get worse.)

I had no idea Beowulf would be a trigger. My apologies, Joimiaroxeu.

Beowulf was a favorite poem of my father's, and he would dramatize it to us as children.

As for the AP English; when I was expelled from parochial school, I was placed in AP courses in the public high school where the teachers proceeded to ruin my appreciation of Mark Twain, F. Scott Fitzgerald, the Bronte sisters, Joseph Conrad, et al.

I don't give a tinkers dam about Mensa or Big Brother.

"The studio was filled with the rich odor of roses, and when the light summer wind stirred amidst the trees of the garden, there came through the open door the heavy scent of the lilac, or the more delicate perfume of the pink-flowering thorn."

...and then the murders began...

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

I had no idea Beowulf would be a trigger. My apologies, Joimiaroxeu.

Beowulf was a favorite poem of my father's, and he would dramatize it to us as children.

As for the AP English; when I was expelled from parochial school, I was placed in AP courses in the public high school where the teachers proceeded to ruin my appreciation of Mark Twain, F. Scott Fitzgerald, the Bronte sisters, Joseph Conrad, et al.

I don't give a tinkers dam about Mensa or Big Brother.

"The studio was filled with the rich odor of roses, and when the light summer wind stirred amidst the trees of the garden, there came through the open door the heavy scent of the lilac, or the more delicate perfume of the pink-flowering thorn."

...and then the murders began...

Dorian Grey--I loved the Divine Oscar for a long time: "I have nothing to declare but my genius..."

Actually, I had to take Anglo-Saxon English--much more like German--did a bunch of shorter pieces, but didn't stay on for Beowulf. I liked Middle English and Chaucer a lot better. I just assumed we were having fun here with this stuff.

BTW, that Mensa stuff is a giant load of crap; there is no accurate intelligence-measurement, and if someone claims to be a member, I automatically know they're an asshole. And I hate all forms of snobbery; I kept getting turfed out of high schools, and my daughter dropped out at 16. Her phrase: "I'm Yale's only high-school dropout." I was orphaned before I was sixteen and had to hustle for marks in stuff I could do to get scholarships--otherwise, no university. Also, I hated high-school English--teachers had SFB [shit fer brains]. I'm too much of a scrubber to put on airs.

Edited by pearlite
do you care?
  • Love 5

Morning-room in Algernon's flat in Half-Moon Street. The room is luxuriously and artistically furnished. The sound of a piano is heard in the adjoining room.

[LANE is arranging afternoon tea on the table, and after the music has ceased, ALGERNON enters.]

ALGERNON. Did you hear what I was playing, Lane?

LANE. I didn't think it polite to listen, sir.

And then the murders began..

• Love 4

my lord i feel uneducated....%(

i quit school when i was 15 yrs old and didn't get my ged until i was 26....

i passed everything with good marks except math.  i only passed that one by 1 question i think.  LOL  didn't know alot of the answers so i closed my eyes and dropped my finger....

LOLOL  surprised that i became a bookkeeper/office person later on..... 

• Love 7

I liked Beowolf - but I also have every book Patrick Dennis ever wrote so that should balance things out.   I had 12 years of parochial school and had the best nuns ever in grade school.  I grew up in a house without books, so having teachers who actively sought to engage us in that was an eyeopener, to say the least.

We were a working class neighborhood and little did we know that - this is the 50's, early 60's - that the Franciscan nuns who were teaching us were using "experimental" methods, which gave us a pretty rich background, especially in the written word at a young age.  I dove in and never looked back.  Then, high school in the 60's with a bunch of religious who were all on the verge of revolt and leaving and we got the sort of reading material that distressed our parents to no end.  I loved it all, especially the Brits.  Except for Hardy and I still can't take him.

Now for something completely different but one of my favs........

“Almost everyone thought the man and the boy were father and son.”

And then the murders began.....

Edited by boes
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Morning-room in Algernon's flat in Half-Moon Street. The room is luxuriously and artistically furnished. The sound of a piano is heard in the adjoining room.

[LANE is arranging afternoon tea on the table, and after the music has ceased, ALGERNON enters.]

"To lose one parent may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness..."

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm feeling a little earnest about this.......

• Love 5

You guys are too smart.

Almost everyone thought the man and the boy were father and son.

Salem's Lot?

Patrick Dennis

"Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death."

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, boes said:

I liked Beowolf - but I also have every book Patrick Dennis ever wrote so that should balance things out.   I had 12 years of parochial school and had the best nuns ever in grade school.  I grew up in a house without books, so having teachers who actively sought to engage us in that was an eyeopener, to say the least.

We were a working class neighborhood and little did we know that - this is the 50's, early 60's - that the Franciscan nuns who were teaching us were using "experimental" methods, which gave us a pretty rich background, especially in the written word at a young age.  I dove in and never looked back.  Then, high school in the 60's with a bunch of religious who were all on the verge of revolt and leaving and we got the sort of reading material that distressed our parents to no end.  I loved it all, especially the Brits.  Except for Hardy and I still can't take him.

Now for something completely different but one of my favs........

“Almost everyone thought the man and the boy were father and son.”

Patrick Dennis! I read [and loved] everything! Still remember lots of phrases--apartment high-rises in Tel Aviv looking like bureaus with the drawers out.

And, to erase any lingering doubts about my literary cred, I spent a lot of my childhood reading Photoplay, Modern Screen, and True Confessions in the grocery store while my mother shopped. God forbid I should get caught with those. I read, and probably still do, because it was/is in many ways better than my life.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Patrick Dennis! I read [and loved] everything! Still remember lots of phrases--apartment high-rises in Tel Aviv looking like bureaus with the drawers out.

And, to erase any lingering doubts about my literary cred, I spent a lot of my childhood reading Photoplay, Modern Screen, and True Confessions in the grocery store while my mother shopped. God forbid I should get caught with those. I read, and probably still do, because it was/is in many ways better than my life.

Same for me.  One of my nuns told my parents, who were concerned that I read too much to lay off, that reading was equality, available to any and everyone who could learn.  My folks had many good qualities, but my mother in particular was suspicious that reading "too much" was unhealthy, when what she meant was it was different from the norm.  I ended up having to keep my books at my grandparents house.  Books, as much as anything or anyone else, showed me how to get out of where I was.

• Love 5

True Confessions

Is that the one that had mildly salacious 'true stories" like "I babysat for the wrong family" or some such? There were  magazines like that my BFF and I used to get at the 7-11 and read at the local coffee shop and giggle over.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Is that the one that had mildly salacious 'true stories" like "I babysat for the wrong family" or some such? There were  magazines like that my BFF and I used to get at the 7-11 and read at the local coffee shop and giggle over.

Yup, and there was True Story as well. In other words, my early sex education.

Most lingering story--about some hillbilly [should I be correct and say Appalachian?] girl who got knocked up in her early teens and went further back in the hills to live with baby-father's father. Said b-ff wore store-bought glasses which dug into his nose. After a while, nose developed a nasty sore. Eventually nose rotted off.

Never forgot that one.

[Somewhere between Erskine Caldwell, Steinbeck, and Faulkner?]

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Yup, and there was True Story as well. In other words, my early sex education.

Most lingering story--about some hillbilly [should I be correct and say Appalachian?] girl who got knocked up in her early teens and went further back in the hills to live with baby-father's father. Said b-ff wore store-bought glasses which dug into his nose. After a while, nose developed a nasty sore. Eventually nose rotted off.

Never forgot that one.

[Somewhere between Erskine Caldwell, Steinbeck, and Faulkner?]

Yikes, that is the kind of thing that would haunt your dreams.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

jewel21, if i may be so bold to ask, how did the ultrasound go?

are you ok?

i hope my question isn't upsetting to you.

Hi, Valley.

The ultrasound seems to indicate it's a lymph node. The dr said it wasn't abnormal looking. He just told me to keep track of when it bothers me because he wants to see if it's brought on by my cycle and to see him for a follow-up in four months. I'm just concerned as to why it's hurting me. Normally they get enlarged due to an infection, and I was quite sick for 4 weeks, but it started hurting me a month before that. Also, it's bothering me for two months now. My grandmother had lymphoma so I'm always paranoid. But the doctor didn't seem worried. I'm going to see the other doctor about my blood test results on Thursday and to fill her in on the ultrasound, although she will get the results eventually.

I'm not a fan of classics so this is a contemporary novel from a well known author.

" They found Seth Hubbard in the general area where he had promised to be, although not exactly in the condition expected. He was at the end of a rope, six feet off the ground and twisting slightly in the wind."

And then the murders began....

• Love 7

Nope. But you got the author right.

It's one of his newer novels. A sequel to a book and movie I loved back in the day. Although the first 10 minutes is something I can never bear to re-watch.

• Love 2

^Sycamore Row?

7 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

LOLOL  i just read that fox news has been removed from UK airwaves due to lack of ratings..

That's good news and I'll take it, but doesn't Rupert Murdock also own Sky, which is all over Europe?  

• Love 6
48 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

^Sycamore Row?

That's good news and I'll take it, but doesn't Rupert Murdock also own Sky, which is all over Europe?  

Yep. It was purely a financial decision. Murdock has no ideology, only the bottom line.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

^Sycamore Row?

Yes!! I bought it years ago when it just came out but only finally got around to reading it. I have another 40 pages or so to go, but I'm really enjoying it. It's making me remember why I used to like John Grisham. I haven't read any of his stuff since high school/college. Also, it helps that I can picture the characters as actors from "A Time to Kill." Matthew McConaughey was gorgeous in that film.

Edited by jewel21
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

my lord i feel uneducated....%(

i quit school when i was 15 yrs old and didn't get my ged until i was 26....

i passed everything with good marks except math.  i only passed that one by 1 question i think.  LOL  didn't know alot of the answers so i closed my eyes and dropped my finger....

LOLOL  surprised that i became a bookkeeper/office person later on..... 

I took AP in HS but the colleges and one I went to everyone was AP or advanced, thus became irrelevant in the weighing scale for graduation. 

I am dyslexic and have discaulia. I work a normal job in grocery and higher level managers in their reviews write "desyfer" as decipher and "scents" when it's supposed to be sense and even bookkeeping I don't count change no longer required/no one knows how even though it has become effortless for me at this point. Please don't be surprised at your position or doubt your smarts.  

• Love 10

I think it's an honor to have met and read the thoughts of so many lives, experiences, and locations. I would be happy to be stuck in an elevator, make dinner, plant a garden, talk dirt, pass the hat, refill your glass, and stand by your side any time.

• Love 11
54 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

I think it's an honor to have met and read the thoughts of so many lives, experiences, and locations. I would be happy to be stuck in an elevator, make dinner, plant a garden, talk dirt, pass the hat, refill your glass, and stand by your side any time.

I feel the same way. It's an honor to know all you Preverts and I cherish it. <3

• Love 10

It will be like a 2 minute shorter commute lol! 

They kept blocking my transfer but this store being brand new and in a very high end community their demand outweighed my current stores' needs for me. It's going to be very nice and better amenities also I'll have a team and away from the 2 jerks. 

• Love 12
15 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

It will be like a 2 minute shorter commute lol! 

They kept blocking my transfer but this store being brand new and in a very high end community their demand outweighed my current stores' needs for me. It's going to be very nice and better amenities also I'll have a team and away from the 2 jerks. 

I just got up and this is the first thing I saw, such GOOD NEWS!!!  I'm so happy for you.

• Love 8
On 8/29/2017 at 6:49 AM, peacheslatour said:

Also MollyB, how are you doing now that we are being barbecued here in Western )WA. again?

Thanks for asking.  How are you doing? Having grown up in Fla and lived a long time in CA, the heat up here doesn't bother me that much.  Plus it doesn't last too long.  I was in CA the last two weeks and left just as the 101 temps started.  Worse is the smoke we had from the Canada fires.  Most of southern Oregon is covered in smoke from a big wildfire down there.  Bummer.  Must have been a hot two weeks up here tho.  My lawn is toast and the river is low. 

• Love 4
Just now, MollyB said:

Thanks for asking.  How are you doing? Having grown up in Fla and lived a long time in CA, the heat up here doesn't bother me that much.  Plus it doesn't last too long.  I was in CA the last two weeks and left just as the 101 temps started.  Worse is the smoke we had from the Canada fires.  Most of southern Oregon is covered in smoke from a big wildfire down there.  Bummer.  Must have been a hot two weeks up here tho.  My lawn is toast and the river is low. 

The smoke is giving me migraines and my whole garden looks pretty sad. I'm glad you got out of state for a while, too bad it was to somewhere even hotter. :(     I'm a person who loves rain so this has been a rotten summer for me. Every thing is brown and unrecognizable as the face of the moon to me. 

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Every thing is brown and unrecognizable as the face of the moon to me. 

Take heart-I just had a sprinkle of rain and the green will rise again.  It's funny, as soon as I crossed the bridge in Portland and rolled into WA, it was green, despite the overly dry summer.  I felt like Dorothy opening the door. 

Love the new game.  Follows my entry, brought on by listening to political newscasts as my son's house.

"Mr. Jones, of the Manor Farm, had locked the hen-houses for the night, but was too drunk to remember to shut the pop-holes."

Note to those worried about their education or lack of it:  You don't have to be educated to read a good book.  You can, however, get educated by reading a book.  [I don't mean that to so sound snotty.  I've been grandma for two weeks and I'm still in lecture/advice mode.]

Edited by MollyB
apology tour 2017
  • Love 7

Aww, I want to play with them all, hee.

So last night I put a warm compress on my arm because the doctor told me to, and it's been hurting every since. And not intermittently like before. It's constant pain. Screw the compresses.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

rwi_566_rwi_105_Labor_Day_Slide-_Rosie_R

I'm working, but someone char a bratwurst and have a cold one for me.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

I'm sending my daughter back down to New Haven tomorrow morning--sniff, sniff. I'll miss her.

Labour Day always gives me anxiety icks, even without her departure--comes from working in academic environments where it all starts up again. Blech. And in the west end of TO, we have the CNE airshow overhead, referred to as Death from Above; super-noisy.

• Love 7