Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

My mom has a snake phobia. She can't even watch them on TV. I'm that way with spiders. I reluctantly watched Arachnophobia with my family through my fingers the entire time. Despite that, I thought it was a funny movie. John Goodman was great.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My DH is the same way about snakes. Poor soul can't watch Raiders of the Last Ark all the way through.

That is a pretty cringe inducing scene.  Now imagine a whole pit full of writhing buttbiscuits.........yikes!!

• Love 6
10 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

serves the back stabbing weasel right cs.....

What I don't understand is that Weasel and I had talked about his wanting to go into the Sales and Marketing Division, and I told him he had my full support to move on at the end of his employment contract. Weasel said he didn't believe I would let him go to sales -- "Because I found your work ethic indispensable? The irony is that we were going to have a meeting with HR today to discuss your future, but instead we're discussing your termination."

<shakes head, pours another vodka and tonic>

• Love 8

Canuck is delightful. Crows and ravens are extraordinary birds.

The temp was a breath of fresh air. She needed very little instruction, followed directions, can tell time, played well with others, and is looking for a full-time job. 

It can't be that easy ...

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Canuck is delightful. Crows and ravens are extraordinary birds.

The temp was a breath of fresh air. She needed very little instruction, followed directions, can tell time, played well with others, and is looking for a full-time job. 

It can't be that easy ...

Sometimes it can. The world works in mysterious ways.

• Love 6

I believe there's another infection in the works. I've suspected for over a week now. Smelly stools today and little air bubbles indicating gas in the digestive track. Steve has an appointment Saturday morning at a new clinic in the south shore near my mom. I'm really nervous. I hope it goes well and we can finally figure out why he keeps having this same issue. And also, that it's nothing too serious. I'm really scared I'm going to lose him.

• Love 7
30 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

I believe there's another infection in the works. I've suspected for over a week now. Smelly stools today and little air bubbles indicating gas in the digestive track. Steve has an appointment Saturday morning at a new clinic in the south shore near my mom. I'm really nervous. I hope it goes well and we can finally figure out why he keeps having this same issue. And also, that it's nothing too serious. I'm really scared I'm going to lose him.

Oh jeez, jewel. Well, with  new eyes and ears maybe this vet will see something the last one missed. Fingers crossed. Please be sure to keep us posted.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh jeez, jewel. Well, with  new eyes and ears maybe this vet will see something the last one missed. Fingers crossed. Please be sure to keep us posted.

Yes.  Good luck and let us know how things go.

• Love 5

Jewel: Keeping a good thought for you and Steve.

I am so grateful to have my temp AA and want hang on to her. Today, she reorganized a presentation project my former AA had dragged his heels on, and has it half completed. -- Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

We're having our station summer party at Mount Wilson Observatory August 19. Tacos La Fonda is catering at the Mount Wilson Skyline Park. We'll have games and door prizes, and hand out bonus checks to the employees. There will be a tour of the observatory at dusk and an opportunity to look through the telescope. There's been a lot of excitement because we'll have a demonstration about the August 21 eclipse, with a gift bag of eclipse glasses, instructions and book about the observatory.

I invited my temp AA, her husband and children -- She was stunned -- "This is my second day and you're inviting me to a company party?" 

"Yup. I thought you might enjoy a chance to get to know us outside of work."

"The party sounds like fun; I've never been to an observatory ... Yeah, I'd like to go."

"Great! I'll put you on the list and give you an itinerary. Let the Office Manager know today how many will be attending."

<Yay!>

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

your temp aa sounds absolutely terrific cs....

is there anyway you can keep her?

sometimes, when opportunity comes a knockin, don't be afraid to open the door.

I have a meeting next Wednesday with the Office Manager to file an outside employment request to corporate, with a job offer after the temp contract is complete in 90 days. I want to give her $10,000 more than my former AA was being paid; she has 11 more years of experience and BCS in information systems.

I cannot believe my good fortune. She's leaving Friday afternoon to attend a sister station simulcast at the Napa Town and Country Fair with the weekend crew. She'll be assisting the Lead Engineer, schlep for the tear down, returning early Monday morning ... The worse for wear. If she survives that in good humor, she's got a job.

Cupid Stunt's Trial By Fire and Radio Talent, patent pending.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 6

It's a tiny clinic and far to get to but the staff is nice.

The vet was nice and funny. He knows the other hospital I went to and the vets. My original vet actually worked at his clinic part-time which I didn't know. I think this vet worked at my old clinic at one point, too. He asked why I left and it was a bit awkward. I told him I had worked there briefly, it didn't go well but I continued to bring Steve there because the treatment was good. But in the last little while I haven't been happy with the service or management team. We both agreed, discussing Steve's file, that the treatments at the clinic were good.

Based on what I told him and a picture of Steve's stool that showed a lot of gas and fermentation, he was confident he had a yeast infection. But, the results came back negative. While his stools aren't perfect, there's no infection at this time and his weight went up 3 grams from his last visit. So he didn't want to prescribe anything which is fair.

He said he didn't think it was worth redoing that liver treatment the other hospital wanted to do in three months. He said we'd just take blood again in 6 months and go from there. The other hospital said the treatment showed improvement and that's why they wanted to re-do it. Now I don't know what to do.

He said Steve's liver could have been damaged from the aspergillosis, and he needs to really read through Steve's file which is massive and it'll take him a nice Sunday afternoon, heh.

He said the only way to know if the liver function is truly compromised is through blood like we're already doing, an ultrasound or a liver biopsy which he doesn't do at his clinic. He doesn't suggest the biopsy because it's evasive, and Steve could bleed to death. Also, it just confirms the liver is bad, but there's nothing that can really be done for it.

He said right now I'm doing everything right for Steve and to continue doing what I'm currently doing. And that Steve has had more tests and treatments than 99% of other birds.

And he was like, we'll see you in six months for the biochemistry. We'll call you for it, and I'm sitting there thinking knowing Steve, I'll be back in three weeks and there will be an infection this time.

So yeah, I don't know.

Edited by jewel21
  • Love 7

(((Jewel))) You're in a new situation with a new vet; I would expect you would be uncertain. Keep an eye on Steve -- which you're doing -- and give your new vet an opportunity to sort through his medical file. 

Does taking sample stools and freezing them for testing make any sense? -- Time and date, with written daily schedule of food and water intake.

I'm not entirely familiar with how lab testing works with birds or how to go about assisting your new vet in data collection, so if my suggestion sounds over the top, my apologies.

I asked my meeting house congregation to keep you in their thoughts, for calm, for clarity and direction in Steve's care.

• Love 7

So I finally got in to see a doctor. Not my own since she's useless, but another GP who sees everyone at the clinic I work at and took pity on me. I have to go for a blood test, an ultrasound, and see a surgeon and all this terrifies me. I never though at 37 they'd be checking me for cancers.

• Love 7

(((Jewel)))

When do you go for the tests?

14 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

i was just watching cnn again...i know, i know...

i am embarrassed and just want to shake my head and i feel sick to my stomach.

I'm with you, Valley.

• Love 8
18 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Thanks, Valley. I certainly wouldn't object to being held.

Jewel21, the feelings you're living with right now are ....... no words adequately convey.

Love to you and whatever good my thoughts will do for you.

• Love 11

Jewel, I 'm thinking about you and sending warm Prevert victory vibes to you. I wish I could do more. I had a breast cancer scare a while back and I know the fear that you feel. ((((hugs)))). I beg all the Gods and Godess's that it turns out to be nothing.

• Love 11

Thanks, everyone for the thoughts and well wishes.

Cupid Stunt - I was on the phone all morning trying to set up appointments. I don't know how things are in the rest of Canada but in Quebec they kind of suck. The first place I called doesn't do breast ultrasounds so I called the place the doctor suggested. They're only taking in November but they gave me another place to call. That place is taking second week of September but I have to call Monday to book an appointment.

In addition, the doctor wanted me to book an appointment with a surgeon. The doctor wanted me to see her after the ultrasound for the results, but before I see the surgeon. The secretary told me to call the surgeon now anyway since it'll be awhile before they schedule me. The surgeon she gave me is only scheduling for December so when they learned why I wanted an appointment they told me to call this breast center place in Montreal.

Long story short, I called, they told me they can do ultrasounds as well but I have to pay $200. The other places were free with medicare. I told her they wanted an ultrasound and for a surgeon to possibly look at the node, sweat gland, cyst? She said they can do all of that there, and booked me an appointment for August 28 at 4:30 PM.

Wow that was long.

• Love 9

LOL  i just watched the very best video EVAH!

it was a song sung to the tune of "beauty school drop out" from grease.

it was sung by a lady and her husband (i assume) was playing the piano.

it was about the tiki torch march in charlottesville.

Edited by valleycliffe
  • Love 5