Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

(edited)
5 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

there is going to be a total solar eclipse on aug. 21..

hopefully, i will be able to see it.

the article i read said that it will be visible across the usa and since i am only about 130 mi. (as the crow flies) from seattle..

LOL  also in the article, was how solar eclipses were perceived in the past and an astrologist talked about what COULD happen (if you believe in that kind of thing)

Valley, here's a link to a page that gives all eclipse-related information for Vancouver, including an animation of exactly how much of the eclipse will be visible.  If the weather cooperates, you'll see more than we will here in southern Ontario!

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/partial-solar-eclipse.html

Edited by Capricasix
forgot to add link, duh
  • Love 6
On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 5:25 PM, peacheslatour said:
  Hide contents

Hi Steve, you handsome devil!

WTH? Why did that put a spoiler in there?

I've had issues with Spoiler bars since the last forum update.

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 2:35 PM, Cupid Stunt said:

They're not done.

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 4:32 PM, peacheslatour said:

Oh, I think they are. They'' wine about it for a while, but the Bill is toast. And now that Trump has fired Preibus, the WH is in more disarray than ever. Talk about a circular firing squad.

IDK. The GOP's Seven Year War on ObamaCare has involved 60+ federal legislative attempts at repeal (with the occasional threat of replace; you've got to sell some hot air to the rubes on the fence, y'know), with some success at chipping away at the original law. That doesn't count the multitude of state attacks and restrictions. Herr Gropenführer's sabre-rattling Tweets to starve the ObamaCare beast and threaten his own party, with many federal/state 2018 midterm candidates of the conservative persuasion marketing themselves as worthy advisories of Affordable Care to the great unwashed, and renewed pinched noises from the House is a reminder that the war over AfforableCare will never be over.

The GOP did plenty of damage to their brand, further fracturing a broken group of Teabaggers/Neo-cons/Christian Dominionists/moderates/one situational Maverick/obstructionists/sociopaths/one-for-all-and-all for-me-ists ... The rabble might be stung by their recent failure, but they are not not done. They can't stop -- Repealing ObamaCare is a Republican Party Mandate, and must be pursued to placate the shrinking base, if only to prove they are loyal to Party doctrine and authority. 

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 7:44 PM, Snaporaz said:

Even though we've only met in this online forum, @Cupid Stunt, it's always been clear as day to me that you have more class and grace in your pinky finger than most people.  Your in-laws may never admit that to your face, but I'd bet that, deep down, they thank their lucky stars every day that you married their son.  I know that I've changed the way I think about things and react to situations based on anecdotes you've shared.  "What Would Cupid Stunt Do?" 

(((Snap)))

For some conversations with them, I walk the line between apoplexy and resigned fatalism. 

I try to make the world a little better than how I find it. Give the homeless a pair of clean socks or a bar of soap; I buy sacks of them at flea market and keep them in the trunk. Pick up litter. Organize Back-To-School donations for my neighborhood school. Thank the cashier by name at my favorite Slurpee dispensary. Hold open the door for someone else to pass through. Buy sacks of oranges and flowers from the traffic island sellers. Count to ten.

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 0:24 AM, boes said:

They better appreciate you.  Their son's, and their grandchildrens happiness and well-being spring in large part from you.

And I bet your Aunt Trinket could teach them a thing or two, or twelve.

(((Boes)))

Trinket thinks my In-law's should be pitied. Then it's back to, "Pass the bourbon. It's your deal."

• Love 8
45 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I love it CS, all of it. It my Aunt Bijou were still alive she'd offer you and Aunt Trinket a glass of Champagne and some chocolate covered cherries. 

Cocktails AND candy? <swoon> I'm going to nominate a name change for Sunday brunch on the Lido deck (The Sunday Dog That Bit You) to the Bijou Brunch.

-- All in favor say Aye ... AYE!

-- Against? ... <crickets>

-- Motion is passed!

And now for something completely different ...

"Simply style his trademark hair ..."

-- I don't have access to that much Aqua Net Extra Super Hold.

Madness.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Cocktails AND candy? <swoon> I'm going to nominate a name change for Sunday brunch on the Lido deck (The Sunday Dog That Bit You) to the Bijou Brunch.

-- All in favor say Aye ... AYE!

-- Against? ... <crickets>

-- Motion is passed!

And now for something completely different ...

"Simply style his trademark hair ..."

-- I don't have access to that much Aqua Net Extra Super Hold.

Madness.

Utter.

• Love 4

So the past few days I've been dealing with higher than normal anxiety which is now affecting my sleep. Last night I was up past 3:30 am trying to quiet my mind and fall asleep. Anyone else having this issue?

• Love 4
(edited)
21 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Ok, the last nine surreal months have fucked with my head so much that I honestly can't tell if that's a real commercial or some bit of satire.  ???

It was a commercial on the Weather Channel, and I laughed all the way through it, thinking Trumpy Bear was an insane spoof. Then I saw the commercial again on a local news broadcast and looked it up. Sorry to say it's a real product, though the commercial is produced in such a way it can be taken seriously or as a yuuuge insult to Herr Gropenführer and his loyal serfs.

12 hours ago, jewel21 said:

So the past few days I've been dealing with higher than normal anxiety which is now affecting my sleep. Last night I was up past 3:30 am trying to quiet my mind and fall asleep. Anyone else having this issue?

I haven't slept well for about 18 months. I hit a slump around 1pm, so I take lunch and a 30 min nap and that helps with the rest of the work day. I get plenty of exercise (run 5 days a week), eat a Mediterranean diet heavy on the vegetables, cut out coffee/fruit juice/pop/milk and drink tea, alcohol and water.

I have used a couple of biorhythm and yoga breathing exercises that help. I end up crashing by 11pm and wake up by 5am, with a lot of fitful half-sleep in between.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 5

Cupid Stunt - A few years back I started experiencing high anxiety and stopped sleeping for almost 3 weeks. It started with waking every few hours, to waking every hour, to being afraid to go to bed because I would fear waking up. I eventually went to the clinic and they put me on anti-anxiety/anti-depressants and I was finally able to sleep again and function. Not being able to sleep is the worst thing and I wouldn't wish it on anymore.

Also, finding a qualified avian vet is hard, yo.

• Love 6

Jewel -- Are you still taking medication? With the anti-anxiety medication did you receive therapy as well? 

After my surgery to remove a benign mass on my pituitary gland (Sept 2015) I would get panicky and hyperventilate in stressful situations -- It's hard to lead a budget meeting trying to calm yourself breathing into a inter-departmental envelope. The meds made me lethargic, but my post-surgical therapist helped me with using biorhythm exercises. When my emotions start to feel out of sync with the situation, I take a look around to make sure I'm not in danger (That's kinda' relative here in Los Angeles), if not, I start to consciously control my breathing and thought processes. It takes about 2 minutes to calm myself.

My interrupted sleeping issue only changes if I'm physically wrung out, otherwise I try not to wake Mr. Stunt from his sound sleep.

Finding the right doctor is a crap shoot, human or animal.

Los Angeles has won the 2028 Summer Olympics Games. I was in town for the 1984 Games and wish I had gone on vacation. We went to several events, but getting around to the venues or attempting to go to work was beyond frustrating.

• Love 6

Yes, it's been five years now and I'm still on the medication and taking the same dose. I was in therapy for five years as well. My psychologist sadly retired in May. She referred me to someone else closer to my work but I haven't set up an appointment yet. My therapy sessions mostly consisted of me talking about the things that were stressing me, mostly work and family. She specialized in cognitive therapy but in my case it was mostly supportive therapy with me venting and her asking questions and giving some advice. It did help though.

• Love 8

Jewel how did the email or talk with the old vet go? I'm sorry you're are dealing with all this stress and anxiety. You have a lot to deal with. I know you mentioned having mentally ill family members .... and sometimes people who grow up in houses with that become neurotic or have issues later with nerves and stress being amplified. I saw therapists and a foo foo psychiatrist in my college years after being away and was told I was neurotic and taught CBT (which works if you work it I guess). My mom, who lives apart from me, has really been antagonizing me and it's been bothering me a lot. I always try to repress it when she attacks me, but she's done stuff around / my dog too and I don't think I'll ever love her the same or fully again. 

The comments about solar eclipse coming always remind me of Dexter and "This is How the World Ends." I really liked that show and am so much like Deb.  

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Capricasix said:

^ That's hilarious!

My father was in the Marines, chewing his way up the Mekon Delta with the rest of his platoon, and didn't carry nearly an eighth of the junk these yahoo's seem to need.

Dad came home a little more crazy than before he started, but there are always sacrifices in war ... 

3 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

The comments about solar eclipse coming always remind me of Dexter and "This is How the World Ends." I really liked that show and am so much like Deb.  

I understand the beanie copter arm of Money Talks Fundagelicalism is prophesizing THIS IS THE BIG ONE BROTHERS AND SISTERS!!!! GIVE US ALL YOUR MONEY TO BUY BRICKS TO PAVE YOUR WAY TO HEAVEN!!!!

giphy.gif

• Love 6

Jewel and Cupid:  I have to jump in here because I am being treated for panic anxiety that started three years ago. I suffered from sleep apnea that was surgically corrected in 2000 so I know sleep deprivation well.  Since that time I had been prescribed Cymbalta (arthritis pain), Ambien (couldn't sleep) and I threw a few glasses of wine in just to wash it all down.  Oh, and I was given Vicodin for a sciatic joint inflammation. Then a cortisone shot for the SI joint. That's when the anxiety episodes started.  I would wake up at three a.m. with total fear and agitation (no going back to sleep!) and it would go on all day rollercoastering thru degrees of panic.  I lost 25 pounds (starting at 133) and wore out my WiiFit board doing exercises to calm me down. (Deep breathing when you are in panic mode?  As if.)  My doctor gave me hydroxine to calm me until the Zoloft (which takes a month to work) could kick in and that caused me to have shingles.  Then we tried chlomazapam.  Turns out it becomes addictive after three months.  It does not "cure" panic so I was screwed.  Also, you get treated like a junkie at the pharmacy should you dare try to fill your prescription early. I tried another doctor, a psychiatrist.  He recommended increasing the dosage of the Pam (never take anything that ends with -pam) and said it was ok to take it at night with the Ambien.  My own doctor went ballistic when she heard that("you'll wake up dead!") So, my doc then recommended a psychiatric clinic that deals with drug addiction and a therapist who is a first round draft pick for the Saved My Life Hall of Fame.  I went cold turkey on all the meds and =sigh= wine/alcohol and was prescribed gabapentin to help me thru the withdrawal.  (I also got the worst case of flu evah! in the first week, so that was a fun time....not).  Fast forward to I am feeling great.  During the last two years I did a lot of internet research (yes, some of it is helpful) and found that adrenaline (I apparently have a motherlode of it) and cortisol are big players in the panic arena.  Reading The Mind-Gut Connection is an eye opener.  Adrenal Fatigue is apparently a real thing.

My psychiatrist wants to wean me off the gabapentin (the two years of withdrawal being almost at an end. Yes! it can take that long!) and my symptoms have subsided so I have begun taking Cortisol Health (of course, Amazon)  which has magnesium (helps with sleep) and Ashwaganda (calms).  I exercise regularly and can jog a mile (I'm pushing 70 with knee issues, so yes, pat on my own back) and eat a lot of fruits and veg high in C, fibre and antioxidents, etc.  The panic attacks made me depressed and suicidal and that is gone. (Oh, yeah!)  Panic attacks are now limited to a minor one upon waking, which my doctors and therapist attribute to high levels of cortisol in the morning. (This is a normal thing that people need to have to get out of bed and builds up as you sleep.) I redirect my mind and get out of bed.  The deep breathing and meditation are much easier to do now.  Suffice to say I have a new look on life.  I started a business during this time (I tattoo wood) and that is growing and most enjoyable.  I really look forward to each day.

So.  Didn't mean to be so windy, but I really do feel your pain and I hope this can help. 

Edited by MollyB
spuling
  • Love 10

I was taking Ashwaganda for a while and I loved it!  I usually wake up a few times during the night, but I noticed Ashwaganda made me sleep very deeply.  My sister, however, said it kept her awake.  ???  So I guess that's sort of an endorsement?  Anyway, you should always check with a doctor before taking herbal supplements if you also take prescription meds (I don't take any) since there can be interactions.  

• Love 7

One thing that helps me sleep so well is G when I cuddle him. @jewel21 have you ever thought of getting or fostering a pupper?

Another thing is boring mundane  vlogs are like Ambien if you lie down and watch there are a few that make me fall asleep like older Kim Thai vlogs or grav3yardgrl old tea Vlogs. I think both it's the talking in the same tone for like 20 plus minutes and about something stupid like a Starbucks drink or their Biore pore strip. I'm being serious like I've fallen asleep to these maybe 50x. 

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

One thing that helps me sleep so well is G when I cuddle him. @jewel21 have you ever thought of getting or fostering a pupper?

Another thing is boring mundane  vlogs are like Ambien if you lie down and watch there are a few that make me fall asleep like older Kim Thai vlogs or grav3yardgrl old tea Vlogs. I think both it's the talking in the same tone for like 20 plus minutes and about something stupid like a Starbucks drink or their Biore pore strip. I'm being serious like I've fallen asleep to these maybe 50x. 

I like to read legal descriptions: Beginning at a point on the south side of Jones Street 100 feet east, as measured along the south side of Jones Street and extension thereof, from the corner formed by the intersection of the south side of Jones Street with the east side of Smith Street, if said street sides were extended to form an angle instead of a curve. . .

• Love 8

Thank you, Molly. Your experience being treated for anxiety was the one I wanted to avoid. After surgery I was given a similar hydroxine/Zoloft prescription treatment for the symptoms of and couldn't tolerate it after two days -- I couldn't focus on anything, forgot what I was doing, simple activities were infinitely confusing. My mother, who was caring for me post-surgery, and Mr.Stunt were alarmed and could see the drug treatment was poisoning me, demanding a treatment change. I was prescribed other anti-anxiety meds, but never filled the scripts. Once I was off the hydroxine, I was twice shy of that entire schedule of drugs.

1 hour ago, Petunia13 said:

I read electrical tech journals or watch industrial machine videos, harvesting wheat fields, twisting cable, pouring steel., plastic injection molding ... La!

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Snaporaz said:

My sister, however, said it kept her awake.

It can cause acid reflux which sure as hell wakes me up. 

1 hour ago, Snaporaz said:

you should always check with a doctor before taking herbal supplements if you also take prescription meds (I don't take any) since there can be interactions.  

I checked with my psychiatrist who is a medical doctor and Indian (from India) and she didn't know what it was. =chuckle of my day=  But she checked it out and said it would not interfere with the gabapentin.  She did recommend the magnesium for gabapentin withdrawal because it promotes a good night's sleep.

1 hour ago, Petunia13 said:

have you ever thought of getting or fostering a pupper?

Odd you should mention this.  I lost my Dixie (a rottx who I had for 10 years) during this.  I tried getting another dog but it didn't work out because my panic was going right into his Jack Russel brain.  Now I dogsit a friend's older terrierx three days a week and it is a great comfort to cuddle and walk and have some one to talk to.  Recommend it highly!

• Love 9
55 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I like to read legal descriptions: Beginning at a point on the south side of Jones Street 100 feet east, as measured along the south side of Jones Street and extension thereof, from the corner formed by the intersection of the south side of Jones Street with the east side of Smith Street, if said street sides were extended to form an angle instead of a curve. . .

Zzzzzz ......

• Love 7
14 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Jewel how did the email or talk with the old vet go? I'm sorry you're are dealing with all this stress and anxiety. You have a lot to deal with. I know you mentioned having mentally ill family members .... and sometimes people who grow up in houses with that become neurotic or have issues later with nerves and stress being amplified. I saw therapists and a foo foo psychiatrist in my college years after being away and was told I was neurotic and taught CBT (which works if you work it I guess). My mom, who lives apart from me, has really been antagonizing me and it's been bothering me a lot. I always try to repress it when she attacks me, but she's done stuff around / my dog too and I don't think I'll ever love her the same or fully again. 

I wrote two versions and then had a friend look at it. The friend asked what my goal was by sending the email and I said I wanted my discount back. She told me that the manager wouldn't give it back because it was the right thing to do. She went on the say that in order to get it back, I would pretty much have to put my pride aside, and lie and grovel and take blame and virtually beg. I just can't do that. It's bad enough I was treated like crap when I worked there, but I'm done being treated like crap even now that I'm a client. The manager is wrong, and petty, and considering the fact I've spent thousands of dollars at her clinic, you think she'd be more concerned with loyalty.

I've been calling around to other places. There's a vet more near my area that takes birds. My cousin brings her cat there. The pricing for an exam is over ten dollars cheaper than where I currently am going. However, after sending them an email, they said they weren't sure they would be the best to treat Steve and recommended I go see a specialist off the island. But it's too hard to get to and expensive.

There's one near my mom about an hour and a half away by public transport. They seemed nice, the price was similar to the place near my house, and they said they could order Steve's meds for his treatment with a prescription. So they're a possibility.

There's one other place also about an hour and a half away. The veterinarian is very experienced and even has a radio show. The price is insane though. $93 for the first visit, $88 each visit thereafter, and when I asked about the treatment, the receptionist said I should fax them the file with the treatment and the vet would look at it and see if it was worth doing. My cousin thought that sounded pompous.

I'm still hoping I can convince the place near my house to treat Steve with the knowledge that if he requires a more complicated treatment, I would bring them to the place near my mom's house.

As for the anxiety bit, it's definitely something that got worse with age. I was always a 'worrier' but after my brother got into heavy drugs, and started to be institutionalized, I just got depressed. I think that depression went unchecked for awhile and it then turned into full-blown anxiety. I remember telling the doctor at the clinic I wasn't depressed, I was anxious but he said it's the same thing. They go hand in hand. Going on meds was scary and I tried to resist at first but they have been a godsend. That being said, I feel my concentration and memorization skills aren't as sharp, and I kind of lost my creativity. I used to write fanfiction on a regular basis, but once I went on the meds, I haven't been able to write anything since.

And I'm sorry to hear about your mom. It's definitely difficult for sure *hugs* And I would love to foster a pupper, but my gramps wouldn't be happy. It's why I originally got Steve. To help with depression and anxiety. But he's always sick, haha.

Today at work one of the physiotherapists got snippy with me. He only likes to treat a maximum of 12 patients a day, and I got a last minute call and at first was going to put him in for tomorrow but then I realized he wanted an appointment for today. I saw a blank slot and booked it. It was only after booking it and hanging up that I realized I had scheduled him 13 patients. He got super snippy in front of people. I'm kind of pissed. "You schedule too many people, I told you I only want 12. Listen better." Even after I tried to say sorry he was like "Sorry doesn't help me." and stormed off. Blah.

MollyB- Thanks for sharing. It definitely helps knowing you're not alone in your struggles. Or at least I find it helpful. I'm also sorry to hear you had so many problems. I was lucky in a sense, the first med they put me on worked. I did have to ween myself off Xanax but my dose wasn't very big and I did it really slowly. Toward the end I was mostly taking crumbs but I was still scared to stop taking it. Eventually, I was able to sleep with just the antidepressant. But when nervous and anxious, I will have problems sleeping. If it's a particularly bad night, the next evening will take a tiny bit of Xanax and that helps. And the next night I can usually sleep without it. 

Edited by jewel21
  • Love 7

Hey B.C. Preverts, I hope you are staying safe and away from the fires. Seems like half of Washington is on fire also. It's so smoky here the sky has turned a sickly shade of grey-yellow where 2 days ago the skies were blazingly blue.

• Love 5

So my underarm isn't quite as tender as when it first started to bother me a month or so ago. But, the last couple of weeks since I've been sick I'm been getting pangs of pain that radiate and then subside and it's still swollen compared to the other side. My manager said she would look at it. Pressing on it, it was super tender and in one spot it felt like she was stabbing me with a knife. She thinks it's muscular and massaged it and put some cream on it. This evening it's now super swollen and super tender to the touch. Even just my arm resting against my side makes it hurt. I think she made it worse :-/

• Love 8
1 hour ago, jewel21 said:

So my underarm isn't quite as tender as when it first started to bother me a month or so ago. But, the last couple of weeks since I've been sick I'm been getting pangs of pain that radiate and then subside and it's still swollen compared to the other side. My manager said she would look at it. Pressing on it, it was super tender and in one spot it felt like she was stabbing me with a knife. She thinks it's muscular and massaged it and put some cream on it. This evening it's now super swollen and super tender to the touch. Even just my arm resting against my side makes it hurt. I think she made it worse :-/

That sounds like you might have blocked pores or sweat glands, which I had years ago.  You've got to get this checked out as soon as you can.

• Love 7
On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:04 PM, Snaporaz said:

Sorry, Six...I tried to quote the post with theTrumpy Bear video, but it wouldn't actually bring in the video and my post made no sense without it.  I think I need some mental floss!

And you thought that retail detritus was satire ... It's bad juju ...

13 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

here in nanaimo it is quite hazy.

i am staying indoors and have the a/c on...just can't take the heat anymore.

Be careful. 

5 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Doctor time.

Follow the money Mr. Mueller.

• Love 7

So the solar eclipse is gonna not be visible in Chicago? 

@jewel21 make sure that owie isn't a lymph node. I think that was a story line in the Patmans of Sweet Valley. 

If I don't get my transfer soon imma go coocoocachoo. Besides the normal bs its very very slow business wise which is never good. People get paranoid or bored and find ways to "amuse" themselves. And the managers get irritable, start trimming fat and slashing stuff. 

• Love 5

It's so hard to get into a clinic in Quebec.

I tried getting an appointment with my family doctor when I first had the symptoms but she told me to try and put a warm compress on it a few times a day, and if it got worse to call her. I remember asking her what if it stays the same and she told me to go to the hospital.

I've tried to go to the emergency room twice in my lifetime. Once after I was hit by an SUV. I waited 12 hours to see a doctor and eventually gave up and went home. Thankfully I just had some brushing and minor scrapes.

Second time I got attacked by an Amazon. Waited 12 hours and eventually went home because it was midnight. I managed to get into a clinic three days later for a tetanus shot. Every time I went to the clinic they were full and turned me away. When I finally got in, the doctor asked why I waited so long.

My doctor is in on Monday so I'll see if she'll take a look at me. If not, I'll have to wake up at 5 AM and stand outside the clinic before it opens so I can get in before it fills up for the day.

• Love 5

^ I Do. Valley!

I don't always agree with Bill Maher -- I'm not on board with post-modern Libertarianism -- but he leaves me laughing and with something to consider.

YouTube has segments of Real Time With Bill Maher.

I'm have to fire my administrative assistant today. He notified me by email (Monday 2am) he was accepting a sales and marketing post with the station. His employment contract ends in six weeks and we were supposed to have a meeting this afternoon with HR to discuss his job options; he cancelled the HR meeting last Thursday noon.

A stipulation of his employment contract is that he has to interview and train an AA replacement for 6 weeks. I called the sales manager and he told me my AA had applied 3 months ago for the job with a recommendation I hadn't written, and was awarded the position last Thursday. I pulled rank on his transfer (the sales manager will replace him with another applicant) and called HR to check the digital trail (Our IT department are excellent sleuths) and have him fired this afternoon. If he had come to me 3 months ago he could have slid into his new position, but writing a job recommendation in my name is the last straw with my little weasel. 

It was efficient and tolerable while it lasted, but our work relationship was bound end badly.

HR is hiring a temp to cover the AA duties this Tuesday morning.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 9
16 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

Haha, I hate bugs and spiders. They'd have to fumigate the pyramids first for me.

I love spiders and bees but I hate rats. My son hates daddy long legs and my husband is terrified of snakes. Funny what people find creepy.

• Love 6