Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Capricasix said:

Yeah...individual tickets are not available, but tables are being sold for $10K ?

I did hear that individual tickets may go on sale after the full table ones do. 

I heard Bill Clinton a couple of years ago. He's a terrific speaker. 

Would flove to hear Mr. Obama. 

• Love 7

How do hurricanes form? A step-by-step guide.

Storm and Emergency Prep: First Aid -- From the Mayo Clinic

Basic supplies

• Adhesive tape
  • Elastic wrap bandages
  • Bandage strips and “butterfly” bandages in assorted sizes
  • Nonstick sterile bandages and roller gauze in assorted sizes
  • Eye shield or pad
  • Triangular bandage
  • Aluminum finger split
  • Instant cold packs
  • Cotton balls and cotton-tipped swabs
  • Disposable nonlatex examination gloves, several pairs
  • Duct tape
  • Petroleum jelly or other lubricant
  • Plastic bags, assorted sizes
  • Safety pins in assorted sizes
  • Scissors and tweezers
  • Soap or hand sanitizer
  • Antibiotic ointment
  • Antiseptic solution and towelettes
  • Eyewash solution
  • Thermometer
  • Turkey baster or other bulb suction device for flushing wounds
  • Breathing barrier
  • Syringe, medicine cup or spoon
  • First-aid manual

Medications

• Aloe vera gel
  • Calamine lotion
  • Anti-diarrhea medication
  • Laxative
  • Antacids
  • Antihistamine, such as diphenhydramine
  • Pain relievers, such as acetaminophen (Tylenol, others), ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) and aspirin (never give aspirin to children)
  • Hydrocortisone cream
  • Cough and cold medications
  • Personal medications that don’t need refrigeration
  • Auto-injector of epinephrine, if prescribed 

Emergency items

• Emergency phone numbers, including contact information for your family doctor and pediatrician, local emergency services, emergency road service providers, and the poison help line, which in the United States is 800-222-1222.
  • Medical consent forms for each family member
  • Medical history forms for each family member
  • Small, waterproof flashlight or headlamp and extra batteries
  • Waterproof matches
  • Small notepad and waterproof writing instrument
  • Emergency space blanket
  • Cell phone with solar charger
  • Sunscreen
  • Insect repellant
  • Whistle

Because of my father's combat training (subsequently his children ended up with combat training) we add quick clot, other hemostatic products like Curad’s bloodstop bandages, Israeli bandages, tourniquets, triangle bandages, chest seals, a 10 pack of glow sticks. Make sure all rechargeable batteries are charged, non rechargeable batteries are still good to go, with a larger battery backup for essential devices, such as a CPAP, make sure they’re charged up too. And water (LifeStraw)! The U.S.Marine Corps recommends a minimum of 1 gallon per day per person or pet for a minimum of 3 days supply.

Miscellaneous crap includes heavy boots and gloves, hand tools, tow straps and tie downs, ax and hand saw, pry bars, jacks and come-alongs, all the fuel that can be safely carried and stored, motor oil, chain saw, gas tank siphon, hand crank radio, bike generator, Grabber All Weather Blankets, tarps, spool of rope, sharpening stone.

Disaster, fire and hurricanes aside, it's always a good time to think twice and be safe. No day is a good day to need quick clot or go to the emergency room.

Gracious Father, Lord of the Powers be with us in times of distress and uncertainty.
Lord have mercy on us, and strengthen our resolve to endure.

Lord hear our prayers.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

sheesh, i just read that in tacoma, a pregnant woman was refused service in a restaurant cause she was wearing a crop top and you can see her belly...the server said she was violating the health code...

Edited by Jaded
On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 1:57 PM, valleycliffe said:

sheesh, i just read that in tacoma, a pregnant woman was refused service in a restaurant cause she was wearing a crop top and you can see her belly...the server said she was violating the health code...

While pregnant, I hung out around the house like that ... not in public. That's just me.

The waiter's rational was peculiar. I would have gone with "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone," and showed her the door.

In the mean time the young woman could have pulled her skirt up to the hem of her crop shirt and had her belly covered.

so, if say kylie jenner or her sister who wear even more revealing clothes went there, would they be denied service too?

I consider anything the Kardashian's wear in public to be questionable. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, PatsyandEddie said:

Baby mama looks way too exposed to be out in public. Ick

I saw her in some interview online she did with a TV station. She had the kid she already has with it's hand on her belly as she stood there talking to the interviewer outside. The restaurant apologized. I agree that she could have pulled her skirt up and that would have covered herself some.

• Love 4

just watching irma coverage and i am gobsmacked by how many people have decided to  stay and sit out the hurricane.  one man is going to stay on his sail boat cause he says no matter how much storm surge, he wasn't worried cause his boat can float..  a different man, with his 4 yr old son by his side, said he was staying cause he lived on the 11th floor of an apt building, had storm windows and figured he, the wife and kids would be ok...

i wish them well and hope they all live thru this horrendous hurricane.

• Love 7

how ironic.

i have been watching hgtv, beachfront bargain hunters renovation and yesterday, it was galveston and today it was florida .

poor people.

when my husband watches the hurricane news, all he does is look at me and say "and you want waterfront"..

• Love 7
21 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

just watching irma coverage and i am gobsmacked by how many people have decided to  stay and sit out the hurricane.

former south florida resident here 'splaining:

• hurricanes hit florida every year between june and sept.  most of them are just a lot of wind and rain and residents hunker down and some drink a lot of rum.  [my first hurricane (i was a junior in high school) scared the bejeesus out of me, but my classmates were out 'surfing' because it was the sixties and the beach boys were a thing and fort myers has absolutely no surf any other time.]
  • the evacuation routes are crowded and there's a good chance you will be sitting in a car two hours from your home when the thing hits.
  • there is a concern for looting in the aftermath and people stay to protect their stuff.  it's hard to convince people that their stuff is useless if they are dead.
  • my own family in the fort myers area relies on God and the fact they have weathered every hurricane for the last 40 years.  they feel God helps those who help themselves, so they board up the windows, get in supplies and trust that they will make it.
  • the guy in the boat, I can't speak for.  if i had a boat i would sail to a place not in the path.  unless he's captaining the queen mary, i don't think he's got a chance if the storm passes directly over him.
  • i now live in the northwest, despite the fire-fog and overthetop heat of the summer, for a reason.
  • Love 10
On 9/7/2017 at 7:16 PM, Cupid Stunt said:

The waiter's rational was peculiar. I would have gone with "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone," and showed her the door.

My worry serving her would be spilling anything hot on her belly -- a huge lawsuit waiting to happen.

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

fort meyers is on the west coast of florida isn't it?

yes, and it's attraction is the beaches are the safest in the world.  gently sloping water with no undertow.  (except, possibly, during hurricanes.)  thank you for spelling Fort Meyers the way my 12th grade typing teacher told us was correct.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, film noire said:

My worry serving her would be spilling anything hot on her belly -- a huge lawsuit waiting to happen.

That was my thought too when it came to her belly. There's a person in there and wearing a top like that with a belly that big to a restaurant with waiters/waitresses carrying trays with hot food/etc. seemed dangerous. Considering her reaction to being refused service,  the saying on her shirt and the in person interview that I saw I could see her loving the attention a lawsuit would have brought.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, MollyB said:

• hurricanes hit florida every year between june and sept.  most of them are just a lot of wind and rain and residents hunker down and some drink a lot of rum.  [my first hurricane (i was a junior in high school) scared the bejeesus out of me, but my classmates were out 'surfing' because it was the sixties and the beach boys were a thing and fort myers has absolutely no surf any other time.]
  • the evacuation routes are crowded and there's a good chance you will be sitting in a car two hours from your home when the thing hits.
  • there is a concern for looting in the aftermath and people stay to protect their stuff.  it's hard to convince people that their stuff is useless if they are dead.
  • my own family in the fort myers area relies on God and the fact they have weathered every hurricane for the last 40 years.  they feel God helps those who help themselves, so they board up the windows, get in supplies and trust that they will make it.
  • the guy in the boat, I can't speak for.  if i had a boat i would sail to a place not in the path.  unless he's captaining the queen mary, i don't think he's got a chance if the storm passes directly over him.
  • i now live in the northwest, despite the fire-fog and overthetop heat of the summer, for a reason.

MollyB, older siblings had places in Naples and Estero, so I was interested in your post right away. I remember the "hurricane plans" printed on the Publix shopping bags--but those were leftovers every season--no one ever went down before mid-October. I miss the lower Gulf Coast...

• Love 4
4 hours ago, MollyB said:

<clip>

Left Coaster wondering what's a fire-fog?

The only fire fog I know of is for stage effects.

** Warning: Seizure-inducing music ahead**

Take care, Molly.

• Love 3

Geez, Cupid, I loved Don Williams back in the day!  I remember seeing him live at what they used to call Fan Fair in Nashville back in the stone age of 1977!  I had a couple of albums of his as well (Emmylou as well).

A beautiful warm voice.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Left Coaster wondering what's a fire-fog?

It's what I call the smoky haze that happens when massive wildfires are burning.  We had fires in Canada and Washington, north of Seattle, in August and it lasted a week. So I went to CA for a visit. When I drove thru Oregon on my way back from CA the whole state was covered with it from huge fires midstate.  It looks like a fog but smells like a bonfire. I still prefer that over a Cat5 hurricane.

8 hours ago, pearlite said:

no one ever went down before mid-October. I miss the lower Gulf Coast...

I lived there year around and I'm here to say you would not miss it if you went any earlier than Oct.  When the weather girl says "90" she's talking temperature and humidity.

7 hours ago, pearlite said:

• Love 3

We have been in the Kootenay Valley and the smoke has been crazy bad.  We could not see the mountains at all.  It was tough to breathe.

Today, we did a kayak trip on the Columbia River (whose headwater is in Canal Flats).  It was supposed to be a "lazy paddle".  The concept is you just float down the river for 15K.

A north wind came in and we were doing a serious kayak with white water.  Turns out we had the worst day of the year on the river.  And yet, we finished in record time.  That was because we were pissed off and freezing.

The only good thing about that bitchy north wind is that it pushed a lot of the smoke out of the valley.

Edited by bannana
  • Love 9
16 hours ago, basiltherat said:

Geez, Cupid, I loved Don Williams back in the day!  I remember seeing him live at what they used to call Fan Fair in Nashville back in the stone age of 1977!  I had a couple of albums of his as well (Emmylou as well).

A beautiful warm voice.

He was a great singer, one of the first country artists that regularly crossed over to the pop charts. 

15 hours ago, MollyB said:

It's what I call the smoky haze that happens when massive wildfires are burning.  We had fires in Canada and Washington, north of Seattle, in August and it lasted a week. So I went to CA for a visit. When I drove thru Oregon on my way back from CA the whole state was covered with it from huge fires midstate.  It looks like a fog but smells like a bonfire. I still prefer that over a Cat5 hurricane.

I lived there year around and I'm here to say you would not miss it if you went any earlier than Oct.  When the weather girl says "90" she's talking temperature and humidity.

Thanks, Molly. We call it smog.

The summer has been oppressive and incendiary all through the west, but the idea of 90° and 90% humidity makes me nauseous.

L.A. weather girls annoy the Hell out of me -- Please stop pointing out that Pacific front with your new implants. Thank you.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

i was up and watching cnn at the time of the tragedy...

couldn't believe what i was seeing and it was so chaotic as no one new what or why it was happening.

I had just gotten up and turned on the radio. At first I thought the silly DJ's were doing some stupid prank. Then shit got real.

• Love 5

It was my day off. I woke up late, hopped on the bus, and got some McDonald's and came right home. I plopped myself on the couch with my quarter pounder and fries, turned on the TV to watch Y&R, and saw news coverage instead. Everything looked so surreal, I felt like I was watching a blockbuster instead of the news. It also took a moment for the world terrorism to sink in, because I at first thought it was some freaky coincidence two planes hit the towers. America felt too big and powerful to ever be attacked.  Innocence was lost that day.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

cupid stunt, i couldn't like your photo but i appreciate you posting it..

it makes me want to cry.

I'm okay with that, Valley.

I chose the photo so that we don't forget that day, and all the days that followed. 

I was standing in line to check in for my return flight at Dallas/Fort Worth Airport. I was idly watching CNN on one of the overhead TVs when they showed World Trade North Tower with a smoking hole in the side of the building. Suddenly a plane flew into the South Tower. I grabbed my suit case and went to the Avis car rental desk. By the time they handed me the keys to the first available car, there were a couple hundred people fighting in line to rent a car. I drove the wheels off that DeVille all the way to Los Angeles. All I wanted was see my family again.

• Love 10

These sixteen years feel like they passed in a minute, but that day took forever.

We live right across from the city and there were so many indelible images -- the towers falling, the twisted metal left behind (looking like a medieval church gate from the Blitz) and people so covered in dust, they looked like statues even though they were running -  but it was the view outside our kitchen window that remains the most vivid. Just a thin band of bright sky, impossibly blue and clear and hopeful, sitting above a vast wall of smoke, the smoke itself like a thing alive, churning and moving but never dissipating - and you knew the ashes of mothers and fathers and wives and sons and best friends were part of that wall, and all around us, people were frantically hoping they were not among the soon-to-be-grieving, and I felt grateful to have all my loved ones accounted for, and to not be among those wondering; and ashamed of feeling grateful, and so much rage I thought I would explode. 

And then came the dozens upon dozens of photocopied pictures of the missing, hung up in store windows and bus stops by people refusing to give up, to believe their loved ones were dead. Most of them weren't head shots or professional photos, they were snapshots  --  birthday parties and barbecues and nights out drinking and college vacations -- it was like living in a family album of people you didn't know, but who had all the same family photos as you, and they were all dead and gone but nobody could let go -- that was almost harder, because the loss was so visible, and just like your own would have been. Blessings on anyone who lost someone that day, or who came of age without a parent or grew old without a child,  who died in any theatre of war since - in uniform or out of it - or from any disease brought on by climbing the pile in hopes of helping. And mostly, blessings on the firemen, who saved the city from itself by showing us what love and courage looks like, in the face of hatred.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 14

Film noire, that was so poignantly, beautifully written. Thank you.

I was seven and a half months pregnant with my first child. I sat and watched TV all day, wondering what kind of world I was bringing my son into. The skies were so quiet overhead; I live fairly close to Toronto's Pearson airport, and of course all air traffic was grounded for days. My husband was working for the Toronto Star newspaper at the time, and he got called into work as they were producing a special afternoon edition, the first one in decades.

• Love 11

We finally are having something resembling reasonable temps around here. It almost feels like fall in the evenings and tonight I am lucky enough to have received a big bag of my dad's home grown tomatoes. Roasted tomato soup tonight with Provolone and cracked wheat sourdough grilled cheese. I love fall.

• Love 13
10 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Thank you for your testimony, film noire.

Esquire has an excellent article on The Falling Man photograph taken by Richard Drew, AP photographer, on 9/11.

*A story not for the faint of heart*

It's not, but it's also a beautiful piece of writing and a tender, powerful eulogy for those who jumped, seeing no other way out - thanks for posting the link.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 4

Thanks peaches for reminding me of this thread.  Never been here before but I like it.  We can go off topic to discuss 'amongst ourselfs' about stuff.  I want the recipe for roasted tomato soup.  Peak season here for tomatoes, too.  Gooood eatin'.....just give me a salt shaker and one fresh off the vine and I'm in heaven.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

We finally are having something resembling reasonable temps around here. It almost feels like fall in the evenings and tonight I am lucky enough to have received a big bag of my dad's home grown tomatoes. Roasted tomato soup tonight with Provolone and cracked wheat sourdough grilled cheese. I love fall.

ok peacheslatour. we also have a garden full of tomatoes.  hubby is busy making salsa to freeze but i would love to try your recipe cause your menu sounds delicious.

• Love 5

Ingredients

3 pounds ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons good olive oil

1 tablespoon kosher salt

1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 onions)

6 garlic cloves, minced

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

1 (28-ounce) canned plum tomatoes, with their juice

4 cups fresh basil leaves, packed

1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves

1 quart chicken stock or water

ADD CHECKED ITEMS TO GROCERY LIST

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Toss together the tomatoes, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread the tomatoes in 1 layer on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.

In an 8-quart stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the butter, and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes, until the onions start to brown. Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken stock. Add the oven-roasted tomatoes, including the liquid on the baking sheet. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes. Pass through a food mill fitted with the coarsest blade. Taste for seasonings. Serve hot or cold

It's Ina Garten's recipe.

• Love 8

I came over here to check out peacheslatour's recipe because I am a recipe addict and discovered I had to read a couple of pages to catch up so I saw you guys talking about the hurricanes. I live in south Florida, east coast, and am very thankful Irma was not a cat 5 when it hit. Luckily we did not have any damage and only lost electricity for 15 hours. We did lose cable, internet and phones for a couple days. However I do have friends still powerless. I live in a good grid. I was a bit nervous about driving to my chemo clinic because of road debris but it was clear the whole way and no lights out.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

I came over here to check out peacheslatour's recipe because I am a recipe addict and discovered I had to read a couple of pages to catch up so I saw you guys talking about the hurricanes. I live in south Florida, east coast, and am very thankful Irma was not a cat 5 when it hit. Luckily we did not have any damage and only lost electricity for 15 hours. We did lose cable, internet and phones for a couple days. However I do have friends still powerless. I live in a good grid. I was a bit nervous about driving to my chemo clinic because of road debris but it was clear the whole way and no lights out.

Wishing all the best with your treatment, Angel Kitty,  and a waving maneki neko (Japanese: 招き猫, literally “beckoning cat," a common Japanese lucky charm, thought to bring good luck) to welcome you!

tumblr_nffnnhVzFn1qlny4mo1_500.gif

• Love 8
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Yes, how is everybody doing? How are our furry and feathered friends?

Ever since I pulled out the cat carrier last week (prepping to leave because of the La Tuna Fire in Burbank), the only evidence we have of cat ownership is the empty food dispenser and cat box deposits. Melvin seems to be stress eating, because he's pooping like a champion.

I've been up to my neck in resumes, audition tapes and interviews for a district programming change. 

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

ignore quote box, double post...

jewel21, how are you doing?  still getting pain?  lymph node still swollen?

Hi! Yes, lymph node is still swollen. I'm keeping a log and so far it's been hurting every day since the doctor told me to keep track (some days more than others, and there were two days where I had almost no pain so that was nice at least.) The pain is mostly intermittent and not constant.

As for feathered friends, I'm keeping tabs on Steve. I still worry there's an infection brewing, one day it looked like he regurgitated some pellets, but then yesterday and the day before he was singing and seemed happy. Sometimes he looks a bit thin, I'm going to have to weigh him this weekend to get a better idea.

How are you and everyone else doing?

• Love 7

The Pro-Trump Mother of All Rallies wasn't, while the Hugs and Faygo flowed like ... um, Faygo.

Insane Clown Posse is meh (Shaggy 2 Dope is a mediocre rapper), but I am behind their fight with the Juggalo gang classification by the FBI. If music fans can be targeted as gang members then Jimmy Buffet's Parrot Heads, Dead Heads, Lady Gaga's Little Monsters and the women that throw their panties onstage for Engelbert Humperdinck are in for a big surprise. 

I did whoop whoop the signs the Juggalo's carried ... Insane Clown hilarity. The pro-Trumper's don't appear to have a sense of humor, but neither does their namesake.

Some of you are going WTF is the ICP, and WTH is Cupid shaking her fist at now?

This is an explanation who the Insane Clown Posse is, and what their lawsuit with the FBI involves. My apologies.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 9

according to xtian numerologist (david meade), the rapture will start on saturday as the planet nibiru collides with earth..

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/09/the-rapture-starts-on-saturday-as-planet-nibiru-collides-with-earth-according-to-christian-numerologist/

however, dr. david morrison of nasa says not true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4yQ-LLx5hc&feature=youtu.be

Edited by valleycliffe
  • Love 4