Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, valleycliffe said:

what a great pic cs........

when hubby and i were on our retirement road trip to visit daughter, we stopped over night there and visited the site.  too chicken to take the elevator up to the top tho.

Jeff Roberson does excellent work for AP.

Mr. Stunt and I flew to Chicago in 97' to pick up a car (1965 Buick Riviera) he had purchased and join up with a Route 66 Federation road trip. When we pulled into St. Louis, the club made a beeline for the Gateway Arch. The Arch tour was informative and the view spectacular. If you suffer from claustrophobia, I would recommend against it; the tour guide packed us in like sardines.

• Love 2

Toronto supposedly had a bit over 70% darkness. It didn't look like much, sadly--the shadows deepened and things got a little grey, like mild cloud cover. Daughter and I sat on steps in a nearby schoolyard [too many old trees block sight-lines on the streets], and waited. And waited. Hmph.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Toronto supposedly had a bit over 70% darkness. It didn't look like much, sadly--the shadows deepened and things got a little grey, like mild cloud cover. Daughter and I sat on steps in a nearby schoolyard [too many old trees block sight-lines on the streets], and waited. And waited. Hmph.

It was like that here in Seattle too. Never got complete;y dark but the shadows and the light were just beautiful. It really made the colors of the flowers and leaves glow like they were lit from within.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, pearlite said:

LA had a perfect day for the eclipse, at under 70%. It was a wondrous thing to hear the traffic come to a halt for a few minutes and people looking up into the sky in awe. 

16831042551_152a35aba2_o.jpg

The pinhole effect through the leaves of a tree.

Pearlite, that lady has it goin' on!

• Love 6

I used the leaf method during the eclipse. It was fascinating. My SIL took photos through his welding helmet and they were really clear. The birds went silent but the crickets kept chirping. It wasn't dark but a strange gray that was beautiful but eerie. I do love watching the heavens! 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

jewel21, did your area get hit by the windstorm?

It was crazy. In my actual neighbourhood we were fine. Just a few branches here and there on the ground.

But I work in NDG and that was one of the hardest hit places. The storm started at 3 PM and that`s when I finish work. I stayed because a new client arrived and I figured I`d be nice and open her file. As I started to open it, the skies got dark and the rain started to come in almost horizontally. Trees were swaying and then the power cut out. She completed the form with help from her cell phone`s flashlight and then I used mine to open the file. I left 10 minutes later when the rain died down a bit.

All along the route to the metro, the neighbourhoods kept getting worse and there were massive trees just split in two, NDG park is destroyed. It was like a tornado touched down there or something. Huge trees were blocking roads, firemen were everywhere, some cars were under trees...

Power still wasn`t back today and I went in just for a few hours to call clients from my cell and cancel their appointments since the phones aren`t working. I hope we have power tomorrow. Crazy.

Here are some vids of NDG park. Those trees have been around for over 100 years and it`ll take decades for the park to recover.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/severe-thunderstorm-watchissued-for-montreal-area-2

https://www.facebook.com/shanna.moore.773/posts/10155711201617425

Edited by jewel21
  • Love 6

A quote from Pearlite booted from the Getting to Genoa You Thread:

"I WISH either my father or my mother, or indeed both of them, as they were in duty both equally bound to it, had minded what they were about when they begot me; had they duly considered how much depended upon what they were then doing; — that not only the production of a rational Being was concerned in it, but that possibly the happy formation and temperature of his bodv, perhaps his genius and the very cast of his mind; — and, for aught they knew to the contrary, even the fortunes of his whole house might take their turn from the humours and dispositions which were then uppermost; Had they duly weighed and considered all this, and proceeded accordingly, — I am verily persuaded I should have made a quite different figure in the world, from that in which the reader is likely to see me."

...and then the murders began...

Laurence Stern, The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy

• Love 5

Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale 

"Lo! the Spear-Danes’ glory through splendid achievements

The folk-kings’ former fame we have heard of,

How princes displayed then their prowess-in-battle.

Oft Scyld the Scefing from scathers in numbers

From many a people their mead-benches tore.

Since first he found him friendless and wretched,

The earl had had terror: comfort he got for it,

Waxed ’neath the welkin, world-honor gained,

Till all his neighbors o’er sea were compelled to

Bow to his bidding and bring him their tribute:

An excellent atheling! After was borne him

A son and heir, young in his dwelling,

Whom God-Father sent to solace the people."

• Love 3

Correct!

Beowulf is epic! Kings and kingdoms, mythological dragon, a hero, a monster, the monster's mother, blood guts gore ... Yee Haw!

Playing the ultimate baddie in a heroic poetic play has to be embraced ... Lot's of arm waving and lurching around, snarling and hissing, claw at the actors, chew up the scenery and swing from the curtains ...

I AM GRENDEL THE DESTROYER FROM BEYOND THE PALE! FEAR ME!

• Love 4

Show is boring as stink or telegraphing Every. Single. Scene. We might as well use our nickel-plated educations to amuse ourselves.

"In the ancient city of London, on a certain autumn day in the second quarter of the sixteenth century, a boy was born to a poor family of the name of Canty, who did not want him.  On the same day another English child was born to a rich family of the name of Tudor, who did want him. All England wanted him too.  England had so longed for him, and hoped for him, and prayed God for him, that, now that he was really come, the people went nearly mad for joy."

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Show is boring as stink or telegraphing Every. Single. Scene. We might as well use our nickel-plated educations to amuse ourselves.

"In the ancient city of London, on a certain autumn day in the second quarter of the sixteenth century, a boy was born to a poor family of the name of Canty, who did not want him.  On the same day another English child was born to a rich family of the name of Tudor, who did want him. All England wanted him too.  England had so longed for him, and hoped for him, and prayed God for him, that, now that he was really come, the people went nearly mad for joy."

The Prince and the Pauper!

----------------------------------------####-----------------------------------

From the pleasant town of Maienfeld a footpath leads up through shady green pastures to the foot of the high peaks that gaze down solemnly and majestically on the valley below.

And then the murders began.

Edited by boes
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, bannana said:

Today, I had my first root canal.

And then the murders began...

(I actually had a root canal today, which I would not recommend to anyone.)

My sympathies.  I've had a few.  

Any murders you commit right now are completely excused, just tell the judge about the root canal.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, boes said:

My sympathies.  I've had a few.  

Any murders you commit right now are completely excused, just tell the judge about the root canal.

I like that concept, @boes.  Since my unemployment, I have become addicted to ID TV.  Not that I would murder someone....

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

jewel21, if i may be so bold to ask, how did the ultrasound go?

are you ok?

i hope my question isn't upsetting to you.

Yes, I have been thinking about this as well. Also MollyB, how are you doing now that we are being barbecued here in Western WA. again?

• Love 7
10 hours ago, boes said:

The Prince and the Pauper!

----------------------------------------####-----------------------------------

From the pleasant town of Maienfeld a footpath leads up through shady green pastures to the foot of the high peaks that gaze down solemnly and majestically on the valley below.

And then the murders began.

Heidi?

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I see all you AP English kids over here showing off. ;-)

What does AP stand for?

I guess I should be able to spot some of these--I started [second career] as an English professor. Then, because I have a fidgetty mind, I moved on to working with film, media, design, and so on.

"The Late-Middle-Aged and The Restless"

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

When I was in school it stood for Advanced Placement.

It still stands for that. Even Mattie mentioned the other day that she was taking AP Chemistry or something. (Guess she'll be developing new scents at B&S soon!)

Sorry if anyone was insulted but the mention of Beowulf set me off. I can't imagine low-key bragging about having read it--or more like having been forced to read it in high school. As soon as someone (else) mentions Mensa, I'm out. ಠ_ಠ  (Because there's been enough of that on the Big Brother forum, as if this season couldn't get worse.)

• Love 3
Just now, Joimiaroxeu said:

It still stands for that. Even Mattie mentioned the other day that she was taking AP Chemistry or something. (Guess she'll be developing new scents at B&S soon!)

Sorry if anyone was insulted but the mention of Beowulf set me off. I can't imagine low-key bragging about having read it--or more like having been forced to read it in high school. As soon as someone (else) mentions Mensa, I'm out. ಠ_ಠ  (Because there's been enough of that on the Big Brother forum, as if this season couldn't get worse.)

I never read it. As I say my mom was in a production of it in college and used to quote from it.

It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.
And then the murders began..

• Love 3