Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

Montreux Jazz Festival -- 2009 -- Show #2 -- Prince, John Blackwell Jr. (drums), Renato Neto (keyboards), Rhonda Smith (bass)

Supporting triple album Lotusflow3r, MPLSound, and Elixer

To John Blackwell Jr.

Godspeed dear friend ... Pound that kit into the floor.

• Love 6
On 7/7/2017 at 10:51 PM, boes said:

Pole dancing, anyone?

How about "produce dancing?"

I was grocery shopping one evening, and a girl, I'd say about 15, started dancing in the produce department.  I don't mean dancing to be silly, I mean dancing dancing, as in leaps, pirouettes, etc (I'm stopping because I don't know any other dance terms haha).  I thought "Alrighty then...." but then she did the big finish & started belting out the Titanic theme.  My "alrighty then" quickly became a "where the hell am I?" :)

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I was grocery shopping one evening, and a girl, I'd say about 15, started dancing in the produce department.  I don't mean dancing to be silly, I mean dancing dancing, as in leaps, pirouettes, etc (I'm stopping because I don't know any other dance terms haha).  I thought "Alrighty then...." but then she did the big finish & started belting out the Titanic theme.  My "alrighty then" quickly became a "where the hell am I?" :)

Was she any good?

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, ByTor said:

Hahaha!  You can't beat real life for weird, not ever.  You must have been on alert for a while going back to that store.

Except for that evil twin and coming back from the dead thing....

Edited by boes
  • Love 6
17 hours ago, ByTor said:

Coincidence, musically speaking?

I was examining turnips in the produce section one day, and the aisle music [store aisle music is a personal obsession] was Celine yowling out "My Heart will Go On." I now associate that song with turnips--the big ugly rutabaga items, not those cute little white inoffensive ones.

• Love 6

I signed this morning.  And unless your last name is Comcast, Verizon, or AT&T, I'm not sure why you wouldn't support net neutrality.  This affects Preverts everywhere!  Please sign!  

• Love 5

I have to drop Steve off at the vet tomorrow on my way into work and I don't' wanna *whines*

It's an hour and a half (each direction) of me carrying him around two buses and two metros during the busy morning/afternoon commute. And then I end up waiting 20 minutes outside because the techs are always late to arrive. And then I end up being late for work, grrr. Oh, and it's expensive. And I'm worried his infection isn't cleared up :(

• Love 8

so, about quarter after 5 this morning, my cat was meowing to come in the house..so, i went to the door to let her in and too late i saw she had something in her mouth.  so, i started telling her no, no,  don't come in the house with that as she ran into the kitchen.  i went chasing after her.  then, she dropped what she had in her mouth.  it was a mouse.  the mouse just lay there so i was swearing as i went to grab some paper towel in order to pick the thing up...then it started moving and my cat went after it again...so, there i am, shooing the cat and chasing the mouse...finally i got a hold of it and tossed the thing outside...it lay there for a few seconds then scurried away....  now, before i let the cat in i will have to make sure she isn't giving me gifts or showing me how to hunt...  her name sure suits her as she is just such a terrorist.

• Love 7

Somehow a mouse got into our house. My DH was sitting on the sofa reading the paper and noticed our little girl kitty was sitting directly across from him, staring at him. She has the mouse in her mouth. He yells No! and she drops it and proceeds to chase it all over the living room with my hubby in hot pursuit. The boy cat joins the chase and the little critter runs under the furniture. Hubby goes to get a flash light and returns to see if he can get the mouse out from under the chair. Boy cat sees flashlight and thinks "Oh, boy red dot game!" So he's getting between hubby and the girl cat and the mouse, trying to catch the  nonexistent "dot". Hubby finally catches mouse and puts it outside. Girl cat is disappointed, boy cat is as confused as ever. Poor thing he's just not that bright.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Somehow a mouse got into our house. My DH was sitting on the sofa reading the paper and noticed our little girl kitty was sitting directly across from him, staring at him. She has the mouse in her mouth. He yells No! and she drops it and proceeds to chase it all over the living room with my hubby in hot pursuit. The boy cat joins the chase and the little critter runs under the furniture. Hubby goes to get a flash light and returns to see if he can get the mouse out from under the chair. Boy cat sees flashlight and thinks "Oh, boy red dot game!" So he's getting between hubby and the girl cat and the mouse, trying to catch the  nonexistent "dot". Hubby finally catches mouse and puts it outside. Girl cat is disappointed, boy cat is as confused as ever. Poor thing he's just not that bright.

Peacheslatour, that's a sitcom moment!

3 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

so, about quarter after 5 this morning, my cat was meowing to come in the house..so, i went to the door to let her in and too late i saw she had something in her mouth.  so, i started telling her no, no,  don't come in the house with that as she ran into the kitchen.  i went chasing after her.  then, she dropped what she had in her mouth.  it was a mouse.  the mouse just lay there so i was swearing as i went to grab some paper towel in order to pick the thing up...then it started moving and my cat went after it again...so, there i am, shooing the cat and chasing the mouse...finally i got a hold of it and tossed the thing outside...it lay there for a few seconds then scurried away....  now, before i let the cat in i will have to make sure she isn't giving me gifts or showing me how to hunt...  her name sure suits her as she is just such a terrorist.

Hahaha!  This could be a series!

• Love 4

As gross as it is when they bring these gifts, I always make sure to give some praise.  They think they're doing us a favor.  It's nature, after all!

Has anybody seen the show "Downward Dog" on ABC?  I'm not a sit-com fan and don't watch much network tv, but I checked it out because it got a lot of hype locally since it was filmed here.  I freaking loved it!  The dog talks, but it's not what you think.  Of course, it's already been cancelled, but the last episode wrapped things up nicely.  You should still be able to watch On Demand or at abc.com.  It's really sweet without being sappy, and I highy recommend it to any animal lover.  I was reminded of it because the dog's nemesis, Pepper the neighbor cat, leaves dead animals at their doorstep every morning, so Martin (the dog) thinks Pepper is a serial killer. 

*One caveat:  I looked at the Previously forum to see what other people thought of it, and I was surprised by how many were annoyed by the way the dog talks.  He says "like", like, after every other, like, word, but I found it endearing.

• Love 7

George caught a mouse outside in my mom's backyard a couple weeks ago while I was at work and she was sitting. He's a male intact yorkie so a real mouser and pretty cat like behavior at moments (climbing, dives at birds, ultra nosy, sneaks off sometimes in her house or my gfs to hidden alcoves and rooms). He killed the mouse -he did the old bite from the back and shake the shit outta it till the neck or spine snaps then paw at the toy or carry it around. He's completely obsessed with mice and gerbils or hamsters at the store too he just sniffs and grins. 

I felt bad for the mouse ? And he wasn't exposed to it intentionally 

• Love 7

Steve dropped from 86 grams to 77 grams but his appetite appears to be coming back. His biochem results showed a bit of improvement in his liver. We're supposed to wait 3 months and then re-start the liver treatment for 3 months and then wait again and re-do the biochem. He's off meds for now.

I was super annoyed though because I waited 40 minutes outside the vet with him and no one showed up. I was 40 minutes late for work and ended up bringing him to work with me. At that point, he had no food and water for hours since it takes me an hour and a half to get there. I then had to wait until 10 am and leave work and drop him off at the vet missing another 40 minutes of work.

I wrote the manager an email telling her this wasn't the first time, that when I was working there techs and boarding started at 8 am but now it appears they show up whenever they want, and if it happened again I was going to leave a negative review. I also mentioned that I was the sole receptionist at a clinic and if I wasn`t there, no one was there to answer the phones, take payments, book appointments, etc.

She called me and was upset I was threatening to leave a bad review. That they were doing me a favour by having me drop off Steve before opening since I was an ex-employee and it`s not something they usually do. She went on to say that an emergency had come up with the tech, her dog was dying so she was going to side with her over the issue, and they were no animals in the hospital awaiting treatment. She seemed to have forgotten I used to work there and many times there were animals in the hospital area awaiting treatment and the techs would show up 30 minutes, 40 minutes, sometimes an hour after being scheduled. However, I couldn`t mention this to her since I had a client standing in front of me the entire time.

When I went to pick up, I didn't see her, but the receptionist at one point asked me how much my discount was and I told her. I wonder if the manager took it away in anger and if that is the case, I will be pissed. I got it this time, though.

• Love 8

@jewel21 I'm glad his appetite is improving! 

That is bull crap they are so lagging in service. You and Steve are already distressed and they are just adding to that - plus it impacts your clients. George's latest vet appointment was with a new center that is pretty highly regarded and the place is a bit bougie (I live in a very rich area). I got a good feeling though from the staff, techs, and vet and they were efficient as well as warm. I have been thinking of you and Steve twice a day. 

• Love 6

Aww, thanks for thinking of us, Petunia.

I`m glad you found a new vet that you like. I wish Steve was a cat or dog, there are so many vets catering to them but not many that treat birds, sadly.

My brother wants me to watch his two cockatiels next week when he`s on vacation but I really don`t want to. Three birds is too much, and Steve will freak out the entire time hearing them if I put them in another room. And I`m worried if I put them together, Steve will pick up another bacterial infection being exposed to two untested birds who are used to walking around on the floor and eating paint and wood and lord only knows what else.

• Love 5

Does your brother live close enough that you could leave them there and just check in on them a couple of times a day?  It does seem risky to bring them to your place, since Steve doesn't have the best immune system.

• Love 6

He`s not that close but I`ll see what he thinks.

So today at work, there was a mouse in the washroom.

I watched in horror as the leg of one of the physiotherapists came down on it and I screamed out, ``Noooo, don`t kill it!``

Luckily, the little mouse was fast and I told the therapist I was going to trap it in a box and release it outside.

I barricaded myself in the washroom with a box and a towel and tried to catch little Maurice.

Maurice kept squeaking and jumping over my legs. At one point, I had him in the towel but then I thought I had missed him. I lifted the towel, and shook it and then Maurice dropped out and ran behind the toilet again.

I tried once more and Maurice squeaked and ran over my legs.

And then he climbed up my pant leg.

There was a mouse in my pants.

And I couldn`t get him out.

I opened the door and took the therapists and the client he was trapped in my pants, where I had to use my hand to prevent him from trying to climb any higher.

We went outside and after several minutes, the patient swatted him down and he ran up the driveway and into the street.

He didn`t bite me, but I thought he might have tried to scratch. I don`t see anything in the mirror, but it`s hard to tell and I can`t get a good angle. Also, my leg felt weird the rest of the day.

Do I need a shot of some kind or am I good to go?

Only I would get a mouse caught in my pants, and I don't even work at the exotic vet anymore :P

• Love 7
1 hour ago, jewel21 said:

He`s not that close but I`ll see what he thinks.

So today at work, there was a mouse in the washroom.

I watched in horror as the leg of one of the physiotherapists came down on it and I screamed out, ``Noooo, don`t kill it!``

Luckily, the little mouse was fast and I told the therapist I was going to trap it in a box and release it outside.

I barricaded myself in the washroom with a box and a towel and tried to catch little Maurice.

Maurice kept squeaking and jumping over my legs. At one point, I had him in the towel but then I thought I had missed him. I lifted the towel, and shook it and then Maurice dropped out and ran behind the toilet again.

I tried once more and Maurice squeaked and ran over my legs.

And then he climbed up my pant leg.

There was a mouse in my pants.

And I couldn`t get him out.

I opened the door and took the therapists and the client he was trapped in my pants, where I had to use my hand to prevent him from trying to climb any higher.

We went outside and after several minutes, the patient swatted him down and he ran up the driveway and into the street.

He didn`t bite me, but I thought he might have tried to scratch. I don`t see anything in the mirror, but it`s hard to tell and I can`t get a good angle. Also, my leg felt weird the rest of the day.

Do I need a shot of some kind or am I good to go?

Only I would get a mouse caught in my pants, and I don't even work at the exotic vet anymore :P

I think you'll be okay, just clean the areas really well and put some Neosporin. Maurice! I love it!

• Love 7
On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:06 PM, jewel21 said:

<chuckles> Only you Jewel.

I could see the glow of the Detwiler/Mariposa fire near Yosemite as I drove to my parents home. 

• Love 5

"I've heard of ants in your pants but @jewel21 has upgraded to mice."

"Is that a mouse in your pants or are  you happy to see me?" 

@Cupid Stunt I hate hearing of forest fires I worry so much about the birds, bunnies, deer displaced or trapped it's so sad. And the homeowners near and brave firefighters. You know in my entire life every fire fighter I've ever met at a fundraising event, in my respective workplace, or call situations each one has been affable, energetic, had a joy or serenity in their actions. 

• Love 6
(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:08 AM, Petunia13 said:

@Cupid Stunt I hate hearing of forest fires I worry so much about the birds, bunnies, deer displaced or trapped it's so sad. And the homeowners near and brave firefighters. You know in my entire life every fire fighter I've ever met at a fundraising event, in my respective workplace, or call situations each one has been affable, energetic, had a joy or serenity in their actions. 

The wildlife on the chaparral are more self-aware than the people in the middle of a fire zone. I'm the fire marshal (I have a hardhat and everything) for the station's transmitter in the Verdugo Mountains. Last summer, myself and an engineer drove the transmitter in the middle of the Sand Canyon fire evacuation. While inspecting the property, I saw deer silhouetted in smoke, crossing the neighboring ridge out of the canyon -- Let it burn. Time. To. Go.

The Detwiler/Mariposa evacuation has been lifted, with fire brigades patrolling hot spots ... Fire season in California.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 6

Mr. Stunt and I had his parents over for dinner last night. In conversation, my father-in-law mentioned he was having construction started on fallout shelters at their home in Bel Air and winter house on Oahu. Apparently they have it on good authority (He wouldn't say who that authority was) that the present administration is taking a more aggressive stance with U.S. foreign policy in Asia (translation: threatening N.Korea and China), and he wanted to be prepared for the worst possible scenario. They're dismantling the backyard landscaping, digging a hole and installing a reinforced concrete pillbox, covering it with five feet of specially amalgamated compacted soil and replanting the formal rose garden like nothing ever happened.

As if my low-level Los Angeles living anxiety needed a jump-start.

Lordy.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Mr. Stunt and I had his parents over for dinner last night. In conversation, my father-in-law mentioned he was having construction started on fallout shelters at their home in Bel Air and winter house on Oahu. Apparently they have it on good authority (He wouldn't say who that authority was) that the present administration is taking a more aggressive stance with U.S. foreign policy in Asia (translation: threatening N.Korea and China), and he wanted to be prepared for the worst possible scenario. They're dismantling the backyard landscaping, digging a hole and installing a reinforced concrete pillbox, covering it with five feet of specially amalgamated compacted soil and replanting the formal rose garden like nothing ever happened.

Lordy.

That's chilling. We're so fucked.

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Lordy.

scarey.....

just curious, have you ever watched "blast from the past"?

it's a movie starring brendan fraser and alicia silverstone...it's a comedy and one of my favourites...

your dad sounds like the dad in the movie only he was a scientist..

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, valleycliffe said:

scarey.....

just curious, have you ever watched "blast from the past"?

it's a movie starring brendan fraser and alicia silverstone...it's a comedy and one of my favourites...

your dad sounds like the dad in the movie only he was a scientist..

One of Brenden Fraser's better movie roles.

My father-in-law is a capitalist and cradle-to-grave California Republican -- they don't trust anyone, except their own exclusive circle of friends. Money is the great equalizer. Father Stunt plans on taking his wealth with him come North Korean ICBM or terrorist attack. He was absent the day the nuns taught in confirmation class there are no pockets in coffins.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 9
20 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

One of Brenden Fraser's better movie roles.

My father-in-law is a capitalist and cradle-to-grave California Republican -- they don't trust anyone, except their own exclusive circle of friends. Money is the great equalizer. Father Stunt plans on taking his wealth with him come North Korean ICBM or terrorist attack. He was absent the day the nuns taught in confirmation class there are no pockets in coffins.

Hmmm.. so nothing about bactrians and apetures of sewing implements?

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Hmmm.. so nothing about bactrians and apetures of sewing implements?

Father Stunt will see what he wants to see and hear what he wants to hear in his interpretation of the Gospel.

• Love 6
34 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Strikingly similar to the genus Eastern Canadian Haute Bourgeoisie, Toronto/Gulf Coast sub-genus--minus the US politics--AKA four of my five significantly older, wealthier siblings. Abandonment of any religion involving ethics or infringement of personal crappiness is standard.

• Love 6