Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

21 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

according to xtian numerologist (david meade), the rapture will start on saturday as the planet nibiru collides with earth..

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/09/the-rapture-starts-on-saturday-as-planet-nibiru-collides-with-earth-according-to-christian-numerologist/

however, dr. david morrison of nasa says not true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4yQ-LLx5hc&feature=youtu.be

Learn something new every day. I didn't realize the planet Nibiru stuff was the basis of the film 2012.  That's one of my favorite movies and I've probably seen it 4 or 5 times. For some reason the part where the west coast (pretty much all the way to Las Vegas) breaks off and drops into the ocean is hilarious to me. It's so ridiculous.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 2:08 PM, valleycliffe said:

according to xtian numerologist (david meade), the rapture will start on saturday as the planet nibiru collides with earth..

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/09/the-rapture-starts-on-saturday-as-planet-nibiru-collides-with-earth-according-to-christian-numerologist/

however, dr. david morrison of nasa says not true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4yQ-LLx5hc&feature=youtu.be

How many End of the World/Armageddon/666/Left Behind predictions do we have to survive?

The Bible, Koran, Jewish biblical canon and rabbinic literature (Midrash) essentially say the same thing on the subject -- To quote the NKJV, Mathew 24: 36-44:

36 “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only. 37 But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. 38 For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, 39 and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. 40 Then two men will be in the field: one will be taken and the other left. 41 Two women will be grinding at the mill: one will be taken and the other left. 42 Watch therefore, for you do not know what hour your Lord is coming. 43 But know this, that if the master of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into. 44 Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.

Wrapping up astrology and numerology, then calling it Christian prophesy is like all false doctrine and heretical theories of this sort. David Meade's version of reality-challenged wingnutery, as told the Washington Post, “Jesus lived for 33 years. The name Elohim, which is the name of God to the Jews, was mentioned 33 times [in the Bible]. It’s a very biblically significant, numerologically significant number. I’m talking astronomy. I’m talking the Bible … and merging the two.”

Yup. Crawl back under your steaming, self-published pile of bullshit, Mr. Meade.

My next lecture is about food.

Mr. Stunt and I went to a cocktail party last night. The hors d'oeuvres included finger pizzas with pulverized cauliflower crusts <gluten-free bleah> and guacamole with peas <WTF is this starchy crud!>. This is California! Avocado trees are as common as fleas on a Norwegian rat and some Nimrod ADDS PEAS TO GUACAMOLE! As fucking if.

I’ve got nothing against fresh or frozen peas -- Don't get me started on the canned abomination. Peas have their place, alongside carrots, in soups, in a monoculture side dish and even smushed up with mint and served with fish and chips by the more tradition-minded gastronomes. But this business of adding peas to anything green or pretending that they are on the same culinary plane as butter, olive oil, scallions, shallots or garlic has to fucking stop.

Lousy food makes me grumpy when a multi-millionaire is hosting the party. I stuck to the top-shelf bar, picked pretzels out of the Pub Mix and played Cribbage with a recording engineer, who was equally unimpressed. After a decent period of time schmoozing with Industry types, we went to Langer's Deli and reveled in kosher carbohydrates. 

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

It's this whole fad. Replacing mashed potatoes with mashed cauliflower, pea guac and shredded carrots instead of cheese. It's suppodsed to be healthy but it's just icky.

I'm fine with people choosing to eat a certain diet for whatever reason, but marketing a dietary trend to bastardize perfectly good food because someone decided flossing your teeth with bitter herbs and gnawing on desiccated cauliflower is good for you makes me stabby. If any of the food substitutions or add-on's improved or enhanced, I'd be all for it. Pizza crusts with the texture of cardboard and starchy pea guac is a culinary crime. 

• Love 7

. . . and its admitting that the original food is BETTER.  Why make a gruel of ground up beans, brown rice and zucchini  look like hamburger?  You're admitting that hamburger is BETTER and that beans, rice, zucc, etal need to be disguised to be edible.  If the stuff is good, let it stand out on its own and be proud!

• Love 5
5 hours ago, basiltherat said:

. . . and its admitting that the original food is BETTER.  Why make a gruel of ground up beans, brown rice and zucchini  look like hamburger?  You're admitting that hamburger is BETTER and that beans, rice, zucc, etal need to be disguised to be edible.  If the stuff is good, let it stand out on its own and be proud!

Exactly! Real, unadulterated food, prepared with love makes life worth living! And it can be a fun kitchen chemistry experiment.

5 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

LOL  i never got that, vegan/vegetarians who eat meat substitues.

you would think just the thought of meat would give them the heaves. 

Beet or fungus burgers (yes, that's a thing ... not a good thing, but a thing) and tofurky faux meat stuff (really not a good thing) makes me retch. It may be made with organic ingredients, but it's a heavily possessed product.

I cook a lot of Asian and Indian recipes with tofu (made from pressing the curds that result from coagulating soy milk, similar to the process of making ricotta cheese) and tempeh (made from whole, fermented soybeans that are then pressed into a mold) as an additional vegetable protein to a vegetarian meal, along with nuts, sprouted seeds and whole grains (barley, red and yellow rice, wild rice, bulgur, farro). 

I'm not a fan of the texture of seitan, the result of mixing wheat gluten with water, kneading, and then it's cooked. Gluten is wheat flour protein, the thing you're warned about developing in baked goods by overworking or overkneading dough. Seitan possessing makes the protein’s strands strengthen and wind tightly together. Where fake meat is concerned, those tight strands replicate the protein structure of actual meat, and it takes on spices and marinating flavors well.

Yeah, I cook hippy dippy on the regular, but I adore a pastrami sandwich on marble rye, a ribeye medium rare, Korean barbecue, bucket of crawfish and bottle of hot sauce, chili dog from Pink's -- Oh, yeah.

Dagnabbit! I'm hungry again.

• Love 6
43 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Hey guys, being on the Left Coast I may be a bit behind. Has the Rapture started yet?

37 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

LOL  i read elsewhere it's being delayed for a month..

9 minutes ago, PatsyandEddie said:

Just like last time. ??

Damn.......Is my coupon still good?

• Love 6
12 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Why don't doctors test peoples reflexes any more? My doctor does by randomly throwing things at me because he feels there's s correlation between slow reflexes and stroke. What happened to those little rubber hammers they used to use?

Do you throw it back at him to check his reflexes?

You really can't take me anywhere.

Around 2001, I went to a Daptone Records showcase. One of the R&B acts was Charles Bradley. He slayed the crowd. He has been recording outstanding R&B in his short career with Daptone. That amazing talent died today. 

Enjoy.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 11

Last March I posted about a refugee sponsorship program I'm involved had been halted because of the Trump Administration immigration and travel ban. We contacted a Canadian Quaker group that does the same thing, asking them to take on our prepared refugee cases, and we would continue to raise money in support of their program. Yesterday those eight Coptic Syrian families have successfully immigrated to Calgary.

• Love 11

Around 2001, I went to a Daptone Records showcase. One of the R&B acts was Charles Bradley. He slayed the crowd. He has been recording outstanding R&B in his short career with Daptone. That amazing talent died today. 

His story is so astounding. How he got his break so late in life and then passed away.

Edited by SweePea59
  • Love 3

Siri's the worst. One time my dog barked through window at a delivery man and she interpreted it as "Fuck you." and replied "hey, that's not nice." 

I suppose she would think a loud high pitched yorkie RAH ROO tonally is like FUCKU. She's like the worst slam poet ever. 

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Capricasix said:

That’s wonderful, Cupid. Best wishes to them.

I'll pass that on, Capricasix. The Canadian government was instrumental in moving their immigration forward and granting them asylum. God bless Canada and Canadians. I'm so happy this worked out, I could plotz!

The Orthodox sponsors brought an Egyptian Coptic priest to Alberta last year, and he's in the process of building a church for his growing number of parishioners. The Orthodox Catholic Church in Canada are taking the lead in helping ancient Christian's immigrate from refugee camps in Middle East war zones.

Our Quaker congregation has a holiday flea market and auction the 2nd weekend in November. All the money goes to our refugee resettlement program. Mr. Stunt's grandmother donated scads of collectibles and has been rousting her friends for expensive tchotchkes to donate ... Nana's (Mr. Stunt's grandmother) on a mission to make the auction a success; she's livid at the racist and irreligious actions the Trump Administration has taken against war refugees.  

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Cupid Stunt said:

I'll pass that on, Capricasix. The Canadian government was instrumental in moving their immigration forward and granting them asylum. God bless Canada and Canadians. I'm so happy this worked out, I could plotz!

The Orthodox sponsors brought an Egyptian Coptic priest to Alberta last year, and he's in the process of building a church for his growing number of parishioners. The Orthodox Catholic Church in Canada are taking the lead in helping ancient Christian's immigrate from refugee camps in Middle East war zones.

Our Quaker congregation has a holiday flea market and auction the 2nd weekend in November. All the money goes to our refugee resettlement program. Mr. Stunt's grandmother donated scads of collectibles and has been rousting her friends for expensive tchotchkes to donate ... Nana's (Mr. Stunt's grandmother) on a mission to make the auction a success; she's livid at the racist and irreligious actions the Trump Administration has taken against war refugees.  

Nana sounds like a keeper, Cupid!  

What you're all doing is pretty wonderful.  I've been watching and reading the grim news about the destruction of these ancient communities for the last 10 years and more, and it's comforting to know that people like you and your community, Canada, etc., are doing something to help them survive and build a new life, even so far from home.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Thank you, @Cupid Stunt.  I live in Calgary and am so pleased to hear these refugees have found a place here.  Canada has taken in many Syrian refugees.  It irks me so much when I see media coverage (in the US) that suggests that refugees are terrorists. 

It is great to live in a world where people like you and your circle are helping people in strife; and to know that others are there to help, also.

• Love 9
On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 9:53 PM, boes said:

Nana sounds like a keeper, Cupid!  

Nana Stunt's a livewire. She's been disgusted with the Republican party since the Reagan Administration.

"Ronny was an incompetent actor, an incompetent governor and an incompetent president. Iran-Contra was an aberration? My Aunt Fanny! That was administrative policy!" -- Gives you a taste of one of many dinner table conversations where her children purse their thin blue lips over their Patron Republican Saint Ronald being besmirched. They rarely engage in political discussions with her because of the estate. Mr. Stunt and I don't care about what she does with her money, so we banter about politics and sip vodka gimlets into the small hours. I've learned a great deal about conservative politics and tactics through Nana. She's a font of information and personal contacts.

What you're all doing is pretty wonderful.  I've been watching and reading the grim news about the destruction of these ancient communities for the last 10 years and more, and it's comforting to know that people like you and your community, Canada, etc., are doing something to help them survive and build a new life, even so far from home.

There are many ways the individual can help war refugees:

Doctors Without Borders

International Rescue Committee

World Vision

International Committee of the Red Cross

UNICEF

UN Refugee Agency

I still believe in the power of the American people to elicit change from their elected officials. 

U.S. House of Representatives

U.S. Senate

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 6
On 9/26/2017 at 8:13 PM, Petunia13 said:

Siri's the worst. One time my dog barked through window at a delivery man and she interpreted it as "Fuck you." and replied "hey, that's not nice." 

I suppose she would think a loud high pitched yorkie RAH ROO tonally is like FUCKU. She's like the worst slam poet ever. 

I was singing to the cat, as people with cats are wont to do. To the tune of the Molly McButter commercial I was singing, "Pussycat darling, pussycat darling". Then, from the inside of my purse on the couch came the words, "That's not very nice". And that bitch Siri had typed on my phone screen, "pussy don't dog". I hate her.

• Love 8

i was just watching cnn and there is a story about a lt. general at an air force academy.

he is raining holy hell on the cadets who wrote racist messages on the doors of black cadets..

he told them, if they couldn't treat others with dignity and respect because of the colour of the skin they should "get out".

i have to admit, i am shocked by what he said...i guess it's because too many times i've seen things "whitewashed".

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/28/us/air-force-academy-prep-school-racist-slurs/index.html

• Love 6

My dad was in the Air Force (Korea) and he makes it sound like they don't put up with racist bullshit, like at all. He was from a small town in PA and never met a black person until the military. He was BFF's with this one black guy (Hey Jimmy!) and he also said there were gay guys, everybody knew it and nobody gave a shit.

• Love 7