Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

23 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Strikingly similar to the genus Eastern Canadian Haute Bourgeoisie, Toronto/Gulf Coast sub-genus--minus the US politics--AKA four of my five significantly older, wealthier siblings. Abandonment of any religion involving ethics or infringement of personal crappiness is standard.

Well if god didn't want the poors to suffer, why did he make them poor? If they were truly blessed they'd just go out and get more money. Riddle me that professor!

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Mr. Stunt and I had his parents over for dinner last night. In conversation, my father-in-law mentioned he was having construction started on fallout shelters at their home in Bel Air and winter house on Oahu. Apparently they have it on good authority (He wouldn't say who that authority was) that the present administration is taking a more aggressive stance with U.S. foreign policy in Asia (translation: threatening N.Korea and China), and he wanted to be prepared for the worst possible scenario. They're dismantling the backyard landscaping, digging a hole and installing a reinforced concrete pillbox, covering it with five feet of specially amalgamated compacted soil and replanting the formal rose garden like nothing ever happened.

As if my low-level Los Angeles living anxiety needed a jump-start.

Lordy.

That authority's probably Breitbart ?

• Love 4
(edited)
19 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Ah yes, the Cherry Picking branch of Catholicism. 

Cherry picking scripture is easy to do when the god is money and power. Just the other day I read an article that the Book of Proverbs is allegedly the most Republican book of the Bible. Solomon wouldn't be humored being embraced by the likes of Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz.

I'm a outlier Catholic worshiping in a Quaker meeting house. My failures as a faithful Christian are legion, but I will never forget the lessons taught by Sister Ignatius of Our Lady of Perpetual Basketball, cramming irregular Greek and Latin verbs into thick skulls so that her students could read the scriptures with educated heads and hearts. Sister was relentless, and it she who I owe for teaching me to comprehend and appreciate language.  

19 hours ago, pearlite said:

Strikingly similar to the genus Eastern Canadian Haute Bourgeoisie, Toronto/Gulf Coast sub-genus--minus the US politics--AKA four of my five significantly older, wealthier siblings. Abandonment of any religion involving ethics or infringement of personal crappiness is standard.

They are everywhere, comforted by the knowledge that their superiority of full pockets are the desire of all true economic traditionalists.

Peacheslatour said:

Well if god didn't want the poors to suffer, why did he make them poor? If they were truly blessed they'd just go out and get more money. Riddle me that professor!

Oops! My inner anarchist escaped and did some howling.

Catholic teachings and tradition about poverty are based on the life and dignity of the human person, supported by the wisdom about building a just society and living lives of holiness amidst the challenges of modern society.

As you can imagine, many Catholics fall short.

Capricasix said:

That authority's probably Breitbart

Peacheslatour said:

Smells like Alex Jones.

More like Edmund Burke and David Hume. My in-laws are repulsed by the likes of Faux News, Brietbart, et al.

There are a couple of retired generals, several defense contractors and military manufacturers that are members of their golf club and in their social circle. 

14 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

does life imitate art or does art  imitate life?

Yes.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 5

Yes there's lots of people with bomb shelters and stockpiling preoccupations. That Cloverfield Rd film conceit wasn't far fetched. There's also underground people and families. Basically people who live underground permanently due to whatever beliefs. Many have elaborate shelters and homes underground because of religious opinions or political fanaticism. Jim Bakker is one such individual and sells all the equipment. But some people do live in subways or cave or cavern dwellings because of poverty and mental illness. 

There was/is an underground city in Russia that Sidney Sheldon wrote a book on. It was some sort of experiment and had 15,000 people. This is technically a spoiler ("sorry!") since the fact the city was in Russia and underground is revealed in the endings chapters and the epilogue goes on about facts on this city and research for a few pages. 

@jewel21 how's Steve? 

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

Yes there's lots of people with bomb shelters and stockpiling preoccupations. That Cloverfield Rd film conceit wasn't far fetched. There's also underground people and families. Basically people who live underground permanently due to whatever beliefs. Many have elaborate shelters and homes underground because of religious opinions or political fanaticism. Jim Bakker is one such individual and sells all the equipment. But some people do live in subways or cave or cavern dwellings because of poverty and mental illness. 

There was/is an underground city in Russia that Sidney Sheldon wrote a book on. It was some sort of experiment and had 15,000 people. This is technically a spoiler ("sorry!") since the fact the city was in Russia and underground is revealed in the endings chapters and the epilogue goes on about facts on this city and research for a few pages.

Wow. Livin' the dream.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Petunia13 said:

@jewel21 how's Steve? 

And then there's the people I wish lived underground.....

• Love 7

Just out of curiosity, @Cupid Stunt, how do lifelong California (R)s like your in-laws explain your state's economic turn-around?  I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm genuinely baffled that people can't look at recent historical trends and see the economic highs and lows and come to conclusions about what works and what doesn't.    

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

LOLOL  well, it's certainly better than constantly hearing "are you done yet?"

http://www.cnn.com/videos/tech/2017/07/25/mall-installs-husband-pods-for-bored-spouses.cnn

Hahaha!  Burned into my brain are the seemingly endless hours my brothers and I would spend waiting and waiting and waiting when my mom would take us along when she was buying a new hat or shoes.  It felt like forever.

It must have felt even longer for her.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Just out of curiosity, @Cupid Stunt, how do lifelong California (R)s like your in-laws explain your state's economic turn-around? I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm genuinely baffled that people can't look at recent historical trends and see the economic highs and lows and come to conclusions about what works and what doesn't.    

They're making money hand over fist from the state turn-around. They made money from the recession by betting against the U.S. housing market before 2007, then made money betting the U.S. government would bail out the banks in 2008. They bought foreclosed properties and have been turning them around through their property development/real estate/mortgage/title company. My in-laws are of the economic strata that aren't affected by economic change; they take advantage of it. Change is an opportunity to make more money.

• Love 4

“I told you once before that there were two times for making big money, one in the up-building of a country and the other in its destruction. Slow money on the up-building, fast money in the crack-up. Remember my words. Perhaps they may be of use to you some day." (Rhett Butler)

• Love 10

Steve is eating a bit more and he's happy to have his toy back.

Not really singing though... But he's still molting.

I'm sick with a cold since last Friday so my sense of smell is shot, which means if he does have another infection in his stools, I can't smell a thing.

Thanks for asking!

• Love 6
(edited)
7 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

They're making money hand over fist from the state turn-around. They made money from the recession by betting against the U.S. housing market before 2007, then made money betting the U.S. government would bail out the banks in 2008. They bought foreclosed properties and have been turning them around through their property development/real estate/mortgage/title company. My in-laws are of the economic strata that aren't affected by economic change; they take advantage of it. Change is an opportunity to make more money.

6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

“I told you once before that there were two times for making big money, one in the up-building of a country and the other in its destruction. Slow money on the up-building, fast money in the crack-up. Remember my words. Perhaps they may be of use to you some day." (Rhett Butler)

As soon as I asked that question, I realized how I often naively think that everybody shares my proletariat mindset.  As in, if I were rich, I'd want everybody to do well, because rich people benefit when the 99% do well.  Then I remembered that taking it all is how it happens in the real world.   As for the bomb shelters, it takes a whole lot of faith to think that everything will go according to plan.  Good luck with that to all those who have them...

Steve!  You've got it going on in the looks department.  Now, keep getting better, and for the love of feathers, sing for your mom!  

Edited by Snaporaz
  • Love 7

Haha, thanks, everyone!

He's a cutie, but with the molting he's looking a tad rough. I need to preen his crest, which he hates, so I'm waiting until the weekend, heh. He'll also get a shower which should also help with the preening.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Haha, thanks, everyone!

He's a cutie, but with the molting he's looking a tad rough. I need to preen his crest, which he hates, so I'm waiting until the weekend, heh. He'll also get a shower which should also help with the preening.

how do you give him a shower jewel?  in the bath tub or sink?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, PatsyandEddie said:

I was just going to ask the same question valley. Does he co-operate? I'm having visions of a very pissed off armed weapon flying around my bathroom,pooping in revenge and dive bombing my exposed flesh. Yikes!

i read somewhere (can't remember where) that parrots et al like to have a shower with it just slightly on..enough to get wet, not enough to get soaked or scared.

as i don't have a parrot or bird of any kind, i don't know how true it is. 

• Love 5
(edited)

So that bitch manager at the animal hospital took away my 10% discount with no warning or notice because she was mad over my email. And she wasn't there so I couldn't talk to her about it. Lovely.

ETA: I mist him with a spray bottle.

Edited by jewel21
  • Love 6

Jewel that stinks and is passive aggressive. Steve is a well known bird and has been on tv and you have a social media presence. State how thankful you are for the quality care and reasonable pricing-something that you have often mentioned to others verbally and online. Can she possibly look into the discount again? 

• Love 7
18 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

As soon as I asked that question, I realized how I often naively think that everybody shares my proletariat mindset.  As in, if I were rich, I'd want everybody to do well, because rich people benefit when the 99% do well.  Then I remembered that taking it all is how it happens in the real world.   As for the bomb shelters, it takes a whole lot of faith to think that everything will go according to plan.  Good luck with that to all those who have them...

My in-laws still consider me a mule in horse harness, and Mr. Stunt had married below his social position; I didn't sprout from some high-faulutin' Los Angeles family. There's nothing I can do to "over-come the misfortune" of my birth in their mind. <shrug> My family is land rich/cash poor ... but we're clean and honest dealers.

I've built some good will by being a college graduate, having two talented grandchildren, creating a comfortable home, supporting my husband's career, being of service when called and practice my faith, but I've remained on spec for 25 years.

In my mind there's nothing I can do to change their opinion of where I was from or the nature of the people I was born of -- It was up to them to choose to look past their assumptions. I show them respect and hospitality, and through hard work and diligent prayer, I learned to love them as much as they will allow me. They are the family I married into and I work toward what we have in common, namely Mr.Stunt and our children. I chose to protect and nurture that relationship.

I believe it's prudent to hope for the best and prepare for the worst, but a concrete pillbox won't do much good stuck in traffic on the 101.

• Love 8

I'm debating sending her an email about the situation and my cousin helped me write it, but it reads as more of a good bye letter than anything. I don't know what to do at this point. I can put it behind a spoiler cut if anyone wants to read it and critique/give me comments, etc. I've been looking around and there is a vet in the east closer to my home that apparently does treat birds. I just don't know how good they are and I don't know if they can continue/are equipped to continue Steve's ongoing treatments, especially for his liver.

• Love 4

That's what I mean I think my approach might work even though they ultimately were bogus and in the wrong to begin with if you sandwich it with sugar and bring up the history of Steve it will make them more chargrined. Bring up the fact you were appreciative enough of their work in the past that you wrote  a blog post or Yelp review. So obviously you want this to work for both of you and think highly enough of the staff to routinely endorse it to others. But you were frustrated in the moment with the tartdiness issue as they might be by tardy patients. And you just would like that concern to be heard and your courtesy discount to be reinstated. 

It is a bit problematic they would take the discount off as retribution that is a bit petty. 

• Love 7

Even though we've only met in this online forum, @Cupid Stunt, it's always been clear as day to me that you have more class and grace in your pinky finger than most people.  Your in-laws may never admit that to your face, but I'd bet that, deep down, they thank their lucky stars every day that you married their son.  I know that I've changed the way I think about things and react to situations based on anecdotes you've shared.  "What Would Cupid Stunt Do?"  

@jewel21, it won't hurt just to check out the clinic that's closer to your home.  My cat hates the car more than I can possibly tell you, so I go to the vet that's five minutes from my house instead of the one that's 15 minutes from home.  But I understand that you're hesitant to switch doctors in the middle of a treatment.  Maybe you could just go on your own and "interview" the othe place.  Then, go with your gut.  It won't steer you wrong.  Are you taking care of your brother's birds, too?

• Love 8

Thanks guys. Now I have two versions of the email written up, lol.

My cousin goes to the other clinic, but she brings her cat there. She suggested next time I can go with her when she brings her cat in and ask questions.

And nope, not taking care of my brother's birds. I told him it was too much so his girlfriend's mother is watching his bird. However, he got rid of one of his birds last week. Having two was causing too many problems so he gave the newer one away to a family friend.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

My in-laws still consider me a mule in horse harness, and Mr. Stunt had married below his social position; I didn't sprout from some high-faulutin' Los Angeles family. There's nothing I can do to "over-come the misfortune" of my birth in their mind. <shrug> My family is land rich/cash poor ... but we're clean and honest dealers.

I've built some good will by being a college graduate, having two talented grandchildren, creating a comfortable home, supporting my husband's career, being of service when called and practice my faith, but I've remained on spec for 25 years.

In my mind there's nothing I can do to change their opinion of where I was from or the nature of the people I was born of -- It was up to them to choose to look past their assumptions. I show them respect and hospitality, and through hard work and diligent prayer, I learned to love them as much as they will allow me. They are the family I married into and I work toward what we have in common, namely Mr.Stunt and our children. I chose to protect and nurture that relationship.

I believe it's prudent to hope for the best and prepare for the worst, but a concrete pillbox won't do much good stuck in traffic on the 101.

They better appreciate you.  Their son's, and their grandchildrens happiness and well-being spring in large part from you.

And I bet your Aunt Trinket could teach them a thing or two, or twelve.

• Love 7
(edited)

there is going to be a total solar eclipse on aug. 21..

hopefully, i will be able to see it.

the article i read said that it will be visible across the usa and since i am only about 130 mi. (as the crow flies) from seattle..

LOL  also in the article, was how solar eclipses were perceived in the past and an astrologist talked about what COULD happen (if you believe in that kind of thing)

Edited by valleycliffe
added to post
  • Love 5
26 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

there is going to be a total solar eclipse on aug. 21..

hopefully, i will be able to see it.

the article i read said that it will be visible across the usa and since i am only about 130 mi. (as the crow flies) from seattle..

LOL  also in the article, was how solar eclipses were perceived in the past and an astrologist talked about what COULD happen (if you believe in that kind of thing)

Don't for get your special glasses!

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

He said IIRC that they had a good old fashioned scream up and lol, she thought they were singing.

Love me some Sir Tom Jones as well! That great big Welsh coalminer's voice, and quite a lot of charm, too. Our household likes to bust out with "Delilah" once in a while, on special occasions...

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Love me some Sir Tom Jones as well! That great big Welsh coalminer's voice, and quite a lot of charm, too. Our household likes to bust out with "Delilah" once in a while, on special occasions...

Believe me, he was not complimenting her.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

He said IIRC that they had a good old fashioned scream up and lol, she thought they were singing.

different generations i guess.  

i thought janis > tom..

my grandson logan sings "it's not unusual", knows all the words and does the "carlton dance"..

he gets it from watching the fresh prince on netflix..

he hits every note perfectly..he took about 4 singing lessons a couple of years ago and it helped him alot.

Edited by valleycliffe
  • Love 3
Just now, valleycliffe said:

different generations i guess.  

i thought janis > tom..

my grandson logan sings "it's not unusual", knows all the words and does the "carlton dance"..

he hits every note perfectly..he took about 4 singing lessons a couple of years ago and it helped him alot.

It's amazing what a few lessons can do for a creative, artistic child. I was always super glad for any time my son was mentored by artists. He took art classes, went to drama camp and belonged to book clubs in elementary school. He made a ton of friends that way too.

• Love 5