Type keyword(s) to search

General Gabbery: DWTS

• Start Topic

On 9/26/2018 at 11:16 PM, fpbl83 said:

She doesn't have Normani's fanbase, so I'm not even totally sure she makes the finals yet. I think the only locks ATM are Demarcus and Juan. She could finish anywhere from 2nd to 4th. 

Edited by tedd
  • Love 2

Its not the shows fault if they dont get the votes. Yes some pros keep getting screwed with bad partners (Artem for example) but people like Zendaya, Normani, lil Kim and Brandi werent cheated, they were given as partners the most popular pros. Blame the demographics, and honestly, the shows demo hasnt changed.  And quite frankly I don't give a crap who's black, white, Hispanic, male, female - I vote for who I feel is the best dancer and who I enjoy the most. I'm not going to vote for a couple because of race.

• Love 11

Edit: I have no idea why this has a spoiler tag. It's not a spoiler but I can't get it off LOL

Spoiler

Tony has left Maks and Val's studio to take a job with Fred Astaire as the National Dance Director for all their studios. Good for him. I think this is a much better career move for him and his family.

Edited by Toonces464
  • Love 8
19 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

Tony has left Maks and Val's studio to take a job with Fred Astaire as the National Dance Director for all their studios

That's interesting. Wasn't Tony part of the founding members of Dance With Me? I assumed he and Maks were BFF and that was their joint project, but maybe not.

43 minutes ago, McManda said:

That's interesting. Wasn't Tony part of the founding members of Dance With Me? I assumed he and Maks were BFF and that was their joint project, but maybe not.

No, Tony joined as a partner before Val, but he's not a founder. I remember quite well that Tony joined while Maks was off in Ukraine doing The Bachelor. I remember thinking at the time they did it in case Maks's fans didn't react well to him doing that, so they'd still have a DWTS pro to fall back on.

I thought it was weird a few weeks ago when Maks and Peta were in NYC and Maks didn't go up to CT for Tony's charity golf tournament. I'm guessing Maks isn't too happy with him.

Week 2 Dances and Songs 

(copied from Pure)

MONDAY NIGHT -- NEW YORK NIGHT :

*Mary Lou & Sasha – waltz (song: “Natural Woman ” by Carole King, performed live by Sarah Bockel of Beautiful: The Carole King Musical )

*Milo & Witney – Charleston (song: “Livin’ in New York City” by Robin Thicke)

*Evanna & Keo – samba (song: “ Can’t Touch It ” by Ricki-Lee )

*Danelle & Artem – cha-cha (song: “Welcome to New York ” by Taylor Swift)

*Bobby & Sharna – foxtrot (song: “ Theme from New York, New York ” by Frank Sinatra)

*Juan Pablo & Cheryl – quickstep (song: “ 42nd Street ” by Cherry Poppin’ Daddies)

*Alexis & Alan – Argentine tango (song: “Swan Lake ” by Ray Chew Live)

*John & Emma – Charleston (song: “ New York’s My Home ” by Sammy Davis Jr.)

*Tinashe & Brandon – Argentine tango(song: “New Dorp. New York ” by SBTRKT feat. Ezra Koenig)

*Nancy & Val – cha-cha (song: “Uptown Girl ” by Billy Joel)

*Joe & Jenna – foxtrot (song: “New York State of Mind ” by Matt Beilis)

*DeMarcus & Lindsay – foxtrot (song: “The Boy from New York City” by Manhattan Transfer)

TUESDAY NIGHT -- LAS VEGAS NIGHT:

*Alexis & Alan – salsa (song: “Booty” by Jennifer Lopez)

*Bobby & Sharna – quickstep (song: “That Old Black Magic ” by Sammy Davis Jr.)

*Danelle & Artem – quickstep (song: “Luck Be A Lady ” performed live by Donny Osmond)

*DeMarcus & Lindsay – quickstep (song: “Ladies Man ” performed live by Boyz II Men)

*Evanna & Keo – jive (song: “Heat Wave ” by Martha Reeves & the Vandellas)

*Joe & Jenna – jazz (song: “The Gambler ” by Kenny Rogers)

*John & Emma – jive (song: “King Creole ” by Elvis)

*Juan Pablo & Cheryl – foxtrot (song: “Why Don’t You Do Right ” by Peggy Lee)

*Mary Lou & Sasha – samba (song: “Copacabana ” by Barry Manilow)

*Milo & Witney – tango (song: “ Ashes ” by Celine Dion)

*Nancy & Val – paso doble (song: “ Storm from KA” by Cirque du Soleil)

*Tinashe & Brandon – cha-cha (song: “Circus ” by Britney Spears

10 hours ago, howmanywords said:

Its not the shows fault if they dont get the votes. Yes some pros keep getting screwed with bad partners (Artem for example) but people like Zendaya, Normani, lil Kim and Brandi werent cheated, they were given as partners the most popular pros. Blame the demographics, and honestly, the shows demo hasnt changed.  And quite frankly I don't give a crap who's black, white, Hispanic, male, female - I vote for who I feel is the best dancer and who I enjoy the most. I'm not going to vote for a couple because of race.

Not that it's really the point you were making, but I'd argue that Val wasn't a particularly popular pro when he got paired with Zendaya.  If anything the initial reaction to that, before the season started, was one of somewhat horror.  The first season where Val made any impression at all was S15 with Kelly Monaco and for half the audience it was a hate relationship for their ridiculous over the top showmance.  Then the next season he got paired with a 16 year old and I'd argue that was when a lot of the audience started to fall in love with him and his popularity started to build.  Based on that season.  Yes, Kelly/Val were popular but they were also extremely hated as well.  As most showmances are.  So when you are counting in the equation the popularity of a pros fanbase---Val's popularity wasn't the same when he was with Zendaya as opposed to Normani.  Not that I think it necessarily matters.  Personally I think both Z and Normani made it to their respective placements based on their own popularity/fans and we can also argue that Val failed both of them with their freestyles.  Particularly the former.  

Also I hate even remembering it and bringing it up, but S16 also still had the infamous voting snafu where online voting just happened to go down on finale night and they threw out the online votes that did come in, I think except for maybe Facebook?  It was a big old mess and one that a portion of the audience (okay, Zendaya fans mostly) are still not over.  Now if she ever wanted to do the show again in an all star season, not that she ever would with movies/HBO shows calling, she could fall on the floor and still win with her 50 plus million insta followers.  Her popularity is about 50x what it was when she did the show.

On a separate note, I have to say I sure think it's interesting that ole Grocery Store Joe that can't dance was the first celeb rewarded with a contemp/jazz.  I feel like they tried to give him the easiest dance load this week possible, at least compared to everyone else.  Guy gets foxtrot and jazz.  Not that I think he can do real jazz, but jazz is basically code for anything non ballroom on this show so if stands in one place and waves his arms a bit he will likely get rewarded for it.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 2

This could  be mean something, it could mean nothing. But apparently DWTS is going on another tour after the fall season ends. What I noticed is that the last date of the tour is in Feb 2019, there are no tour dates in March, like there was this year. That could mean that DWTS is gonna have a spring season. The spring season starts in mid to late March. I hope I am right and there will be a full spring season of DWTS. I think if they do this one time a year of DWTS in the fall, it is not gonna work. People will look for other shows. You can see this right now, because the ratings aren't very good. 

Here is the link of the show dates: https://presale.codes/search?s=Dancing+with+the+Stars&page=1

Edited by BeeBop88
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

No, Tony joined as a partner before Val, but he's not a founder. I remember quite well that Tony joined while Maks was off in Ukraine doing The Bachelor. I remember thinking at the time they did it in case Maks's fans didn't react well to him doing that, so they'd still have a DWTS pro to fall back on.

I thought it was weird a few weeks ago when Maks and Peta were in NYC and Maks didn't go up to CT for Tony's charity golf tournament. I'm guessing Maks isn't too happy with him.

Wow. Maks and Tony seemed like friends for life, like Derek and Mark. 

On Tony's Insta post announcing his new gig, someone posted that they noticed Maks and Peta aren't following him anymore.

OTOH, Val did enthusiastically congratulate him. 

Edited by fpbl83
3 minutes ago, fpbl83 said:

Wow. Maks and Tony seemed like friends for life, like Derek and Mark. 

On Tony's Insta post announcing his new gig, someone posted that they noticed Maks and Peta aren't following him anymore.

OTOH, Val did enthusiastically congratulate him. 

Maks and Peta are both still following him.

I also noticed Val congratulated him while Maks didn't even acknowledge the post. And I realized that Tony was not at that dopey show Maks did a few weeks ago where he expected people to spend $1,000 to see the studio instructors dance. In the past, Tony has been at all the DWM related shows and events. In fact, he was probably the most engaged with the studios out of the three of them.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

Maks and Peta are both still following him.

I also noticed Val congratulated him while Maks didn't even acknowledge the post. And I realized that Tony was not at that dopey show Maks did a few weeks ago where he expected people to spend $1,000 to see the studio instructors dance. In the past, Tony has been at all the DWM related shows and events. In fact, he was probably the most engaged with the studios out of the three of them.

That's good to hear then. I would like to think Maks is happy for him, especially since Tony seems like a nice person.  

• Love 3
4 hours ago, calipiano81 said:

Week 2 Dances and Songs 

(copied from Pure)

MONDAY NIGHT -- NEW YORK NIGHT :

*Mary Lou & Sasha – waltz (song: “Natural Woman ” by Carole King, performed live by Sarah Bockel of Beautiful: The Carole King Musical )

*Milo & Witney – Charleston (song: “Livin’ in New York City” by Robin Thicke)

*Evanna & Keo – samba (song: “ Can’t Touch It ” by Ricki-Lee )

*Danelle & Artem – cha-cha (song: “Welcome to New York ” by Taylor Swift)

*Bobby & Sharna – foxtrot (song: “ Theme from New York, New York ” by Frank Sinatra)

*Juan Pablo & Cheryl – quickstep (song: “ 42nd Street ” by Cherry Poppin’ Daddies)

*Alexis & Alan – Argentine tango (song: “Swan Lake ” by Ray Chew Live)

*John & Emma – Charleston (song: “ New York’s My Home ” by Sammy Davis Jr.)

*Tinashe & Brandon – Argentine tango(song: “New Dorp. New York ” by SBTRKT feat. Ezra Koenig)

*Nancy & Val – cha-cha (song: “Uptown Girl ” by Billy Joel)

*Joe & Jenna – foxtrot (song: “New York State of Mind ” by Matt Beilis)

*DeMarcus & Lindsay – foxtrot (song: “The Boy from New York City” by Manhattan Transfer)

TUESDAY NIGHT -- LAS VEGAS NIGHT:

*Alexis & Alan – salsa (song: “Booty” by Jennifer Lopez)

*Bobby & Sharna – quickstep (song: “That Old Black Magic ” by Sammy Davis Jr.)

*Danelle & Artem – quickstep (song: “Luck Be A Lady ” performed live by Donny Osmond)

*DeMarcus & Lindsay – quickstep (song: “Ladies Man ” performed live by Boyz II Men)

*Evanna & Keo – jive (song: “Heat Wave ” by Martha Reeves & the Vandellas)

*Joe & Jenna – jazz (song: “The Gambler ” by Kenny Rogers)

*John & Emma – jive (song: “King Creole ” by Elvis)

*Juan Pablo & Cheryl – foxtrot (song: “Why Don’t You Do Right ” by Peggy Lee)

*Mary Lou & Sasha – samba (song: “Copacabana ” by Barry Manilow)

*Milo & Witney – tango (song: “ Ashes ” by Celine Dion)

*Nancy & Val – paso doble (song: “ Storm from KA” by Cirque du Soleil)

*Tinashe & Brandon – cha-cha (song: “Circus ” by Britney Spears

First off, Bobby got some great songs!

Second - Danelle and DeMarcus's songs are both performed live by Donny Osmond and Boyz II Men, respectively? Does that mean that they will ALL perform on Tuesday? Or does that mean that the ones selected to perform have been pre-established?

ETA: I like the idea of the city themes, but there should be a NOLA night sometime too!

Edited by madpsych78
33 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Second - Danelle and DeMarcus's songs are both performed live by Donny Osmond and Boyz II Men, respectively? Does that mean that they will ALL perform on Tuesday? Or does that mean that the ones selected to perform have been pre-established?

ETA: I like the idea of the city themes, but there should be a NOLA night sometime too!

I'm just impressed that the music monkeys finally selected songs that are, for the most part, appropriate for the dances.  It only took them 27 seasons to get it right!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 6
44 minutes ago, lavenderblue said:

I think Keo and Lolo Jones would constitute the first black couple on the show; he also had Chaka Khan. Granted I don't blame anyone for forgetting both of those pairings, heh.

oh yeahhhh i forgot about chaka and lolo. lolo had a horrible attitude. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

Since the couples have different Night 1 and Night 2 dance styles (unlike last week when they had to prepare the same style of dance for both nights), it would appear that all couples will be performing both nights. And since the live musical guests will be performing DURING couples' dances, it seems like the show should have enough time to fit 12 dances on both nights.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, calipiano81 said:

Since the couples have different Night 1 and Night 2 dance styles (unlike last week when they had to prepare the same style of dance for both nights), it would appear that all couples will be performing both nights. And since the live musical guests will be performing DURING couples' dances, it seems like the show should have enough time to fit 12 dances on both nights.

There is also speculation that this week is a double elim. So one couple eliminated on Monday and another on Tuesday. 

2 hours ago, spanana said:

There is also speculation that this week is a double elim. So one couple eliminated on Monday and another on Tuesday. 

According to Pure's source, the double elim (2 couples go) will happen at the end of Tuesday night.

Edited by calipiano81
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, calipiano81 said:

According to Pure's source, the double elim (2 couples go) will happen at the end of Tuesday night.

Ah, okay.  There had been a lot of confusion about it.  Personally I hate the idea of having an elimination in week one followed by a double in week two.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

I miss Tony :(

Me too....I always liked Tony, he seemed like such a nice guy and he always got stuck with the 'older" women, but he was always agreeable & charming.  I was so happy that he finally won with the young woman from "The Bachelor".   I wish him Good Luck in his new job. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, marykat71702 said:

Actually, he didn't leave until after season 22 :).

And that was within a few months of them announcing that he'd signed a new three year contract and would basically be on the show as long as he wanted to be.....but he made it very clear that it wasn't his choice not to return. They really didn't do right by him, I guess because they decided to give the babysitting work to Artem.

1 hour ago, legaleagle53 said:

He's been off the show for several years now.  As I recall, he left for good right after he finally won with Melissa Rycroft in Season 15.

Guess I watch this even less than I thought. Lol

10 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Milo and Juan Pablo clearly have lots of dance experience too.  

I've taken this from the Las Vegas episode thread because I wanted to discuss it from my perspective without derailing the episode thread.

I know Juan Pablo has a history with musical theatre so he probably has a good amount of dance experience. Looking up Milo's biography, the most he's done is some after school programs performing in plays and musicals. Other than that, he doesn't seem to have much dance experience.

I think some celebrities have various amounts of dance experience. For someone like John or Milo, they've done some theatre so they know some basics of dance but not a lot. Alexis seems to have taken dance classes during her childhood so she has a bit more knowledge. For someone like Tinashe, dancing is a part of her career so it makes sense for her to be excellent; also looking up her bio, she's been studying various types of dance since she was 4 and even competed. 

Eh, I root for Tinashe just like I rooted for Heather a few seasons ago. I just think she's also against a lot of really good dancers this season, so she's not a guarantee to win...or even make the finals. Again, look at the position Heather Morris went out in. She had the dance experience but Maks didn't dance with her for three weeks, leaving her with Alan, and she didn't have the fanbase to guarantee her spot in at least the semi-finals. Tinashe will run into a similar problem, with the smaller fanbase, the new pro who can't boost her votes, along with the ringer status (I know many complained about Heather being a ringer in her season). 

I think Brandon being put with a frontrunner like this is trying to get him far, not necessarily to win but to build his fanbase. The mistakes made with Alan was not just having him as a replacement dancer for someone like Maks or Mark when they've been absent one week, but not giving him a celebrity who could get far so the viewers can see what he's capable of. They've finally given Alan a potential winner this season with Alexis, but I don't think they could have anticipated how good most of the celebrities are. This isn't like a few of the previous seasons I've seen, where it was blatantly obvious which ones would likely make the finale. It's really a toss-up this season, especially regarding popularity, since most of the celebs this year have the potential to dance well. 

At the moment, Tinashe's biggest competition stopping her from winning that Mirrorball is Milo. She will also have to navigate through Joe and his Bachelor Nation superfans, who I have seen claiming online that they'll vote for Joe because he's cute and they want to see him improve each week. She may also have a tough time against someone like Demarcus and potentially Bobby Bones, whose fanbase is bigger than I think most people realize.

Sometimes, the best dancer doesn't win. I know Alexis isn't getting anywhere near the finals because she doesn't have the fanbase to vote for her, despite me feeling like she should be in the finals. Her, Milo, and Tinashe would be my ideal F3, with Demarcus and Evanna going out during the semis/quarters.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

At the moment, Tinashe's biggest competition stopping her from winning that Mirrorball is Milo. She will also have to navigate through Joe and his Bachelor Nation superfans, who I have seen claiming online that they'll vote for Joe because he's cute and they want to see him improve each week. She may also have a tough time against someone like Demarcus and potentially Bobby Bones, whose fanbase is bigger than I think most people realize.

I just tinashe get to the finals so I can see her freestyle. This girl is an insane dancer and I just know brandon and her will bring something great. I havent seen a good freestyle on dwts in seasons, so I just know these two will bring it.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, vdw84 said:

I just tinashe get to the finals so I can see her freestyle. This girl is an insane dancer and I just know brandon and her will bring something great. I havent seen a good freestyle on dwts in seasons, so I just know these two will bring it.

I agree Tinashe and Milo would probably have the best freestyles. Demarcus would have the predictable ass-shaking football player freestyle and who knows with Cheryl. She could do one like she did with Drew Lachey (great) or Gilles (bad).

I'm pretty sure one of Joe Blows or Bobby will make the finals though, and get third place. TInashe will get second and either Demarcus or Juan Pablo will win. Milo and Alexis will surely get wiped out by crappy Joe Bobby. This show is so predictable.

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Love 3

Dances and songs (copied from Pure) for Week 3, Most Memorable Year:

John & Emma – Waltz (Song: “Smile” by Ray Chew Live)

DeMarcus & Lindsay – Argentine Tango (Song: “Lux Aeterna ” by Clint Mansell & Kronos Quartet)

Nancy & Val – Rumba (Song: “Love Someone” by Lukas Graham)

Alexis & Alan – Contemporary (Song: “ How to Save a Life ” by Ray Chew Live)

Joe & Jenna – Viennese Waltz (Song: “You are the Reason ” featuring a live performance by Calum Scott and Leona Lewis)

Tinashe & Brandon – Rumba (Song: “2 On ” by Tinashe)

Milo & Witney – Jive (Song: “Can You Do This ” by Aloe Blacc)

Mary Lou & Sasha – Viennese Waltz (Song: “We are the Champions ” by Ray Chew Live)

Juan Pablo & Cheryl – Samba (Song: “ Ni Tu Ni Yo ” by Jennifer Lopez featuring Gente de Zona)

Evanna & Keo – Viennese Waltz (Song: “ Hedwig’s Theme ” by John Williams)

Bobby & Sharna – Contemporary (Song: “A Million Dreams ” from “The Greatest Showman”)

2 hours ago, calipiano81 said:

Dances and songs (copied from Pure) for Week 3, Most Memorable Year:

John & Emma – Waltz (Song: “Smile” by Ray Chew Live)

DeMarcus & Lindsay – Argentine Tango (Song: “Lux Aeterna ” by Clint Mansell & Kronos Quartet)

Nancy & Val – Rumba (Song: “Love Someone” by Lukas Graham)

Alexis & Alan – Contemporary (Song: “ How to Save a Life ” by Ray Chew Live)

Joe & Jenna – Viennese Waltz (Song: “You are the Reason ” featuring a live performance by Calum Scott and Leona Lewis)

Tinashe & Brandon – Rumba (Song: “2 On ” by Tinashe)

Milo & Witney – Jive (Song: “Can You Do This ” by Aloe Blacc)

Mary Lou & Sasha – Viennese Waltz (Song: “We are the Champions ” by Ray Chew Live)

Juan Pablo & Cheryl – Samba (Song: “ Ni Tu Ni Yo ” by Jennifer Lopez featuring Gente de Zona)

Evanna & Keo – Viennese Waltz (Song: “ Hedwig’s Theme ” by John Williams)

Bobby & Sharna – Contemporary (Song: “A Million Dreams ” from “The Greatest Showman”)

i am very looking forward to seeing tinashe’s rumba. but how do you rumba to that song lol

11 hours ago, tedd said:

i am very looking forward to seeing tinashe’s rumba. but how do you rumba to that song lol

I only recognize one song from that list.  That's a problem I've had with DWTS the last few years.  Songs I don't recognize and this old lady doesn't like when heard.  Maybe an oldies (songs and stars?) version of DWTS?  Can't be worse than kids.

• Love 3

I think the most disappointing thing about the set list above is the fact that Ray Chew is going to ruin We Are The Champions for me for a bit. 

Since I've never heard anything of Tinashe's, I'm kind of looking forward to her dancing to her own song. 

Evanna dancing to Hedwig's Theme is definitely predictable, as it's clear what her Most Memorable Year is...but my hope is that we can get a cameo from one of the HP stars for an interview. That'll make me happy. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Lady Calypso said:

Evanna dancing to Hedwig's Theme is definitely predictable, as it's clear what her Most Memorable Year is...but my hope is that we can get a cameo from one of the HP stars for an interview. That'll make me happy. 

The Weasley Twins could show up.  They love public appearances!!!!

• Love 3
Just now, AZChristian said:

The Weasley Twins could show up.  They love public appearances!!!!

I may be hoping too much for Daniel Radcliffe or Emma Watson, but...maybe? They're more down to earth than other high list celebrities. I'd settle for Rupert Grint, though. Or Matthew Lewis. Just...give me ANYBODY. 

I will say, I'm looking forward to Alexis' dance. It's clearly about her mom and I am clearly going to tear up. 

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I may be hoping too much for Daniel Radcliffe or Emma Watson, but...maybe? They're more down to earth than other high list celebrities. I'd settle for Rupert Grint, though. Or Matthew Lewis. Just...give me ANYBODY. 

I will say, I'm looking forward to Alexis' dance. It's clearly about her mom and I am clearly going to tear up. 

I would LOVE to see Matthew Lewis.  After all, Neville turned out to be "mad for Luna" in the last movie (although not in the book).

Why yes . . . I am a MAJOR HP geek - and I have the tattoo to prove it!  Headed off to my 6th visit to Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando for my 72nd birthday in December.

• Love 5

Did Alexis's mom kill herself? Because that is what "How to Save a Life" was about, if I'm thinking of the same song.

You just know Joe's song is about his fake fiancee. LOL.

I like Tinashe, but I wish people would stop pimping their own music on this show. Maybe it's just me, but I find it weird when people dance to their own songs.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, boyznkatz said:

Did Alexis's mom kill herself? Because that is what "How to Save a Life" was about, if I'm thinking of the same song.

She died from breast cancer, I think. Her dance and story doesn't necessarily need to be directly related to the song. I think it's just the overall message of the song that matters. It could be simply about Alexis' mom's fight from cancer. 

3 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

You just know Joe's song is about his fake fiancee. LOL.

Joe's song is "You're the Reason" being sung live by the artists...yep, sounds about right! Who wants to bet his girl is going to end up on stage at some point during the song, like Nick Viall's now ex fiancee?

• Love 4

Oh of course Kendall will try to get herself in front of the camera.  Too bad her fake BF won’t get any more breaks.  She’ll have to fade back into the woodwork. 

Sleepwalker.  That’s what Joe is doing.  Sleepwalking. 

• Love 1