Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E15: Who's Pregnant?

Tara Ariano

I was sure Maria and Christian had never had sex, so their pregnancy news is surprising to me. But it's also depressing, because those two? Suppose Christian reaches a superduper-exciting level of his game and Baby like cries or yawns and Maria doesn't move fast enough? Temper tantrums will be epic.

Maria and Christian don't know each other, don't know themselves, don't know what a happy marriage and home life are. Poor Baby.

• Love 5

Talk about the couple that is the least prepared for a baby..

Honestly, I was kinda shocked that Christian and Maria have been having sex. I know they claim that because of being Romany they don't really show affection or anything, but most of the time it seemed like they didn't even actually like each other, much less wanting to get it on.. I would have been less surprised to hear they don't even sleep in the same room.

• Love 7

Chiming in as another person who didn't think Christian and Maria have had sex. I mean, they don't even like each other. They're basically playing at being husband and wife instead of genuinely wanting to be together. Here's to hoping Peter gets arranged with the girl he's been texting and that he has a much better marriage.

• Love 6

Best part of last night's show - Nina and Michael doing a pinky swear on their bet about what a boy baby would be named.  Second best was Christian giving Maria makeup for their anniversary - and apparently in the brand she prefers - probably production driven, but still kinda sweet.

Actually, I had been thinking it was Christian and Maria...don't know why, just that they seemed the most likely to me.  Especially with the previews hinting at Ragini having a 'schocking' result to her fertility testing....I can't imagine that a fertility doc would never before have encountered a couple who were worried about their fertility only to have it turn out they were already pregnant.  As for Miss Scarlett and Dr. Frankenstein....they just came across as totally fake this episode...even faker than the faking fakers who fake, Ragini and Veeral.

• Love 4

On the second season of Arranged: Peter and 'my girl'. Why did they make us think the whole time that he was texting the Gadji girl from the pizza parlor? This show !

Count me in the group who thought Christian and Maria were not having sex either. Babies raising babies. One good thing is that they will be living with Nina and Michael, Peter and new wife, so they will have plenty of help.

I have to admit it was really sweet how happy everyone was with the baby news.

I thought it was a little weird how Maria told Christian the news, on the phone at the barber shop. Ok. He redeemed himself a little bit to me when he bought her all the lipsticks for an anniversary gift.

I wonder when this was filmed. I'd like to know if Ragini got pregnant.

I don't care about Meghan and Josh. Their story was the fakest to me. Worse than Ragini and Veeral.

I hope they bring this show back, but with new couples and of course Peter.

• Love 3

Called it! At least halfway--I predicted that the fertility doc would tell Ragini she had the ovaries of a 20 year old. But my prediction was also that she'd tell Ragini she was already pregnant! Oh well.

And I think Christian and Maria were definitely having sex. I think Nina inspected the bed sheets the morning after the wedding night for proof that Maria was a virgin. I do not by any means think that they have a good, mutually satisfying sex life, but that Maria did her duty while Christian did his. For three minutes or less, probably. Poor Maria. She knows what's expected of her. No wonder she's always so down and sad. She's probably heard from her older cousins/sisters/friends about married life. She thought she and Christian go out, have fun, hang out with other young couples, and maybe have fun making babies. Instead, she's stuck in the basement folding Christian's shirts and helping his mother with the endless housework and flower selling. Sex is probably at best a bore and at worst actively unpleasant. I can't imagine Christian trying to please his wife in that way, when he's not interested in pleasing her in any other.

If Josh is a medical resident, how does he have all this time to meet his advisor for coffee, never mind practically burn the house down in attempting to cook an egg? (men! what adorable imbeciles! oh, show. Get out of the 50's). I thought residents worked 100 hours a week and spent every spare moment sleeping?

Lisa is just dreadful and every time I see that fakey pageant smile she pastes on I have to suppress the urge to run screaming from the room. She is poison.

• Love 9

Oh, guys, come on - most of you thought Christian and Maria weren't having sex?? The whole reason for marrying so young is to make sure the boys have a "safe" outlet. They are fully expected to have an active sex life ASAP because that's what a real man does. That's why Michael and Nina are freaking out over the brother and are trying to marry him off ASAP as well. They don't expect him not to have sex; they just expect him to have it with a wife they've picked out for him and are hysterical over the thought of a half-gadje grandchild so they are in double overdrive trying to get him married.

• Love 5

The baby is not going to erase the issues that Christian and Maria have in their marriage.  Even rock solid marriages are tested by a newborn.  Christian will expect his mother and Maria to do everything, while he spends diaper money on video games and hair gel.

Maria better get used to life in the basement...if she thought they never go out now, wait till the baby is born.  Now she is going to be even more stuck with this guy who barely tolerates her.

I do not believe that Christian got those lipstick, but at least he was nice at the dinner. 

• Love 5

I do not believe that Christian got those lipstick, but at least he was nice at the dinner. 

I'm concerned about where they came from given that not one of them was still in the boxes they're sold in. I wouldn't put it past him to have "shopped" Maria's collection.

• Love 6

I didn't doubt Maria and Christian having sex. I figured if they were it was because he wanted it and she had to do what she was suppose to for her husband. LOL I can imagine they are pushed to have kids as soon as they can. Something I noticed about Christian at the party...he had no tie on. All those ties he had to buy that one day and not one is worn on him. LOL And agree with those saying how the baby won't help with the issues they have. It just means she is more stuck with him now than before. Maria will have 2 kids to deal with. It will be hard for her because she will have Nina hovering over her every move before and after the baby comes. 

What is up with Josh hugging the advisor when he meet her? Its not like its some old friend or relative but yet he gets all pissy about Meghan and her working with a decent looking guy. No matter what Josh is going to be a jerk about everything. He is one of those that will say whatever he thinks to get out of the mess he got in so his wife will go back to cooking and cleaning. That mother of his....I wouldn't want to live near her. She will be over there every day. I just get bugged so much by Josh and his behavior though. I just get disgusted by him more than anyone on this show. I can imagine watching it back he spins it to be Meghan's fault for his crap still. 

I was surprised that Ragini wasn't told she was pregnant or they couldn't have kids with how they were making it seem in the previews and how the doctor was talking. Seemed overboard on how the doctor was about her eggs. LOL Veeral, reminds me of the one person that no one would ever tell secrets too because they would blab it to all who would listen and yet he would probably get upset and whine that he wants to know what is going on until someone broke and told him. I don't see why he would have to tell his family anything about their fertility or trying to have kids. It would just put pressure on them both and harder to have one. 

Edited by Evil Queen
  • Love 4

Well, I knew it wouldn't be Josh and Megan that were pregnant since he was "on strike" while she was looking for work. I was surprised about Christian and Maria though. Everybody seemed pretty happy about it though, which is good because those two will definitely need help with that kid.

I cringed when Michael said he would "get" the girl for Peter. He said something like, "if my son wants her, I'll do my best to get her," as if he was talking about a Snickers or something. Hopefully it all works out for Peter though. I don't blame the boy for trying to avoid having problems like his brother. 

• Love 5

I don't know why people actually think Maria and Christian were not having sex.

I have faith that their marriage will work out fine because that's the way these things work, I understand arragned marriages like this, they've got family helping with everything, they have plenty of time to slowly learn and ofcourse...divorce is not an easy option.

have faith that their marriage will work out fine because that's the way these things work, I understand arragned marriages like this, they've got family helping with everything, they have plenty of time to slowly learn and ofcourse...divorce is not an easy option.

I think divorce is not an option.  Also, they have controlled these kids so that this is what they want and they definitely could be happy, under the rules of their society.

The elephant in room is going to ironically be the reality show.  I am sure Maria is going to get a lot of people telling her about pretty she is and she could do much more with her life.  I am sure Christian also has his share of admirers, since he has that innocent boy band look that a lot of young girls love.

The fame might get them to to break out of these traditions. However, for all I know they will end up with a great marriage after they both do a little bit of growing up.

• Love 2

Maybe the truth of these people's lives is polar opposite to what's portrayed here, but all I know is what I watch. Christian is openly contemptuous of Maria and seems to resent her very presence in the basement. He's never seemed like an 18-year-old smitten kid. While I understand the culture dictates a private approach to affection (yet here they are on a reality show) I'm talking about simple body language and eye contact, patience, sweetness or a kind word. An occasional smile? Christian's parents show a healthy affection in their interactions, for example.

How many times have we heard Christian exclaim, "cause you do nothing!"; or, "you have nothing to say"; or,"you're bothering me!" when he wants Maria gone? To me, his actions and words just don't compute with a contented newlywed teen getting on-demand sex.

I figured maybe they consummated, then it was downhill. Unless Christian and Maria are DeNiro and Streep, the hangdog Maria and the infuriated Christian are not showing signs of the closeness and intimacy a happy sex life can bring.

And if the couple have been doing a robotic nightly routine out of obligation and expectation, how miserable for both of them. Neither of them has a light in the eyes. Walking misery.

Edited by sleekandchic
  • Love 7

I gathered Maria & Christian had ONE JOB since getting married, and they've finally done it.  They definitely don't need to buy a house (? - it looks like the Millers live in a condo anyway) due to C's phantom employment and they'll need all the help they can get with a baby. And while I'm mentioning Nina & Michael's place, why are strobe lights always flashing away every time we're shown their parking lot?

I thought I saw a glimpse of terror flash across Meghan's face when her FIL took her to their "back 40" and said they were giving that plot to M&J. I know nothing in this world could make me happy to be in my in-laws yard, and I had a MIL who was syrupy sweet fake to my face all the while telling anybody and everybody how much she couldn't stand me. Even while my MIL was in hospice care and having 24/7 sitters, when I would go to her house, even her sitters told me how much she didn't like me. Some people are toxic no matter the situation (like Lisa). I do think Meghan has a very close, positive relationship with her own mom, which is nice to see considering what she has to put up with from her Dr Asswipe and his mom.

• Love 4

Weirdly, Meghan's mom and Lisa are best friends and set their kids up.  It was interesting to see that Meghan's parents are divorced.  I guess the 1950's attitude does not keep all marriages together.

I cringed when Michael said he would "get" the girl for Peter. He said something like, "if my son wants her, I'll do my best to get her," as if he was talking about a Snickers or something. Hopefully it all works out for Peter though. I don't blame the boy for trying to avoid having problems like his brother. 

OMG yes this was terrible. Funny how the attitude and look on Nina's face changed once Michael found out and was ok with it and all about getting the girl. I'm sure there would be no mention of the texting to the girl's parents either so they can get Peter what he wants. Even if he was talking to her in texts, he still doesn't really know this girl in the end. He seems to just have made to sure to try to get the girl he picked instead of what his parents picked...even though it could end up like Christian's marriage has been. 

Weirdly, Meghan's mom and Lisa are best friends and set their kids up.  It was interesting to see that Meghan's parents are divorced.  I guess the 1950's attitude does not keep all marriages together.

I'm shocked that Lisa socialized with and allowed her son to marry the result of a "broken marriage".  The shame!  I imagine she would think Meghan is polluted and is more likely to "cause" divorce herself.  Maybe that's why she had to firmly remind Meghan that she and Dr. Ick had to stay together.  Just in case Meghan forgot that she is upholding the high standards of her new family.  The chocolate pie looked good, though.

• Love 2

It was telling to me how the baby reveal showed that Christian and Maria are practically never on the same page.  She was so excited about being pregnant that she could not wait to call him and tell him the news.  He was shocked she did not tell him face to face.

Her mother in law being so excited about being a "grandmudder", yet Nina did nothing to make sure her daughter in law was okay.  I hate the way the Romani culture makes me feel like these girls are being bought and sold into servitude.

When they talk about "getting" girls for their sons, it feels like they are purchasing brood mares.  I know it is their culture and i have no right to judge, but it makes me feel icky.

• Love 3

I didn't doubt that Christian and Maria did not consummate the marriage. The reason I thought that maybe they were not having sex was because in one of the earlier episodes, or maybe the reunion episode, someone asked C. how the wedding night was and he said 'terrible!'.

So I thought maybe he wasn't getting any because he was always so mean and crabby with her. You'd think that a teen boy who was getting sex anytime he wanted would be in a way better mood and treating his wife a lot better and with not all that distain and anger.

• Love 3

Her mother in law being so excited about being a "grandmudder", yet Nina did nothing to make sure her daughter in law was okay. 

I don't know if that's true ... we came on the scene after they had already been told, yet she was still hugging Maria until Maria was like, enough already! And she told her not to walk up and down the stairs so much anymore, and not to carry anything heavy on the steps. And said if she carried anything heavy she'd have a problem with her, in a joking, loving way.

It's kind of impossible to really know what's up since so many situations are producer-driven scenes, so I have to watch for the stuff they don't manipulate. One thing that was telling to me about their (real) relationship was when they were at the Jersey Shore and Nina was in the kitchen saying they needed to find a girl for Peter like Maria. And Maria - quite sassily - says "there's nobody like me." And Nina laughs and agrees, and you can see she gets a kick out of that. I thought it sounded like something I would (and have) said to my own MIL.

• Love 4

That was a pretty entertaining show for a change LOL

Oh my...not  "gadgie".....(amazing ok for them to call the rest of the people in this country foreigners LOL)...so Peter was texting a "Gypsy" (their words) girl all along

that is a perfect set up for the next season of Arranged...maybe it should all be just Romani cause the "parents set up blind date but let's call it arranged" southern couple and Ragani /Veral are pretty boring.

I was also surprised that Megan's parents were divorced - that was pretty hush hush all this while huh? I do think Megan loves the cameras, loves playing "southern bell/pagent girl" and loves being on reality tv. I can really imagine her on another show if she gets the chance...couple's therapy? I don't know...but she seems like a nice girl at hear but more and more her hubby is very much like his mom Lisa - ouch

For all her "modern" ways Ragani seems to be following the path set for her. I made the observation before that this has to be the least diverse cast ever...

none of them seem to have any friends "outside" their own circle/family/nationality/religion. I have a feeling that her friends may dress more hip and enjoy wine tasting or girls night out but are seriously dong the whole 'make parents happy" deal also. They did seem to be closer at the end here...Veral hopefully will learn to keep some things separate from his overbearing family

And Christian and Maria....well maybe I am a hopeless romantic but I think they actually are getting to be a couple, and Maria looks much happier. I do wonder hw they will manage when she is too pregnant to walk in bars selling flowers? 

And handsome little devil Peter....I sort of hope we see the next season just them and other truly "arranged" marraiges...I for one am all up for more of the "Millers".....I enjoy the "respect" shown to old guys in wife beaters who say dis, dem and dose - the "elders"...I Like Nina and Michael, I like Maria

and it was nice to see her happy <grin> good show

• Love 1

What I noticed was at the end at Christian and Maria's anniversary party. Maria held that baby girl and she was GLOWING!I thought "She is fantasizing about holding her own babay." I think these two will be fine. They are just poor actors.

• Love 1

But...where the heck are Peter and his wife going to live? When do these kids move out of their parents' house? With the baby coming, there's no way Nina and Michael are going to let Christian and Maria move out, even if they had the means and the desire to do so. But that house is going to be pretty crowded pretty soon, especially once they get the youngest child into an arranged marriage. 

• Love 1

I, too, would like to see a series revolving around the Millers...I just find them the most honest, straightforward and entertaining of all the 'arranged' couples....especially since Christian and Maria are the only couple that REALLY was arranged....I kinda like Peter taking it to the next generation - staying within the Romani culture, but being quite insistent on picking his own Romani wife....this is progress.  And I really do like Nina and Michael. My impression of them is a couple who really do like each other and have fit the traditional roles of Romani culture within their relationship...I do think they had a BIG advantage by being acquainted with each other as children...and I think this has actually worked against their perception of how marriage would be for their own children....but maybe not...we have yet to see a 'talking head' from Michael and Nina that addresses their understanding that Christian's relationship with Maria had a MUCH different start than Michael and Nina.  I don't know how such a series would work out...maybe they should just stay with this couple as a mainstay, no matter who else they try to pass off as actually 'arranged'...Hasidic Jews, perhaps?   Can't believe THAT would ever happen, no matter how true/authentic/real it would be...

It was when I saw Nina (and subsequently Michael) crying in the everlasting previews that I was convinced that it was Maria who was pregnant and all the stupid hype about Ragini was a red herring...if Peter had run off, I am certain Nina would have gone totally batshit ballistic as only a mama bear can, and NOT sat around crying for hours as she is definitely NOT the weak/weepy sort...plus the shot of Michael being equally teary eyed was the icing on the cake for me that this was a happy tears situation...

I have to admit that I never suspected that Peter was texting with a Romani girl....but it was a nice surprise....things change gradually and Peter found a way to get what he wanted and still stay within the tradition that is so important to his family.

This family almost (ALMOST) makes the others bearable....however....NO WAY do I want to EVER be inflicted with Josh's camera-lovin'/bucky beaver-toothed mama on a regular basis...OR Veerals' horribly overbearing-women-are-nothing-but-broodmares family (and Ragini's, for that part)...totally pukable...How about a continuation of Marie and Christian with two new, and a bit more believable, couples involved?...probably asking too much...

• Love 5

I can't imagine what kind of a "resident" Josh is - my son is A pediatric resident working 12 days in a row 15 hours a day. He's not off having coffee with an advisor he hugs or having time for dinner parties. Good grief - josh is a joke (and mean to his wife).

• Love 2

But...where the heck are Peter and his wife going to live? When do these kids move out of their parents' house? With the baby coming, there's no way Nina and Michael are going to let Christian and Maria move out, even if they had the means and the desire to do so. But that house is going to be pretty crowded pretty soon, especially once they get the youngest child into an arranged marriage. 

I'm  thinking  that the show will stay on the air for a while as long as Michael and Nina are willing; if this should be the case, then they should be able to save enough money for a bigger house, one large enough to accommodate all of their sons and daughters-in-law.   I don't know how this works, though, and it could be that the eldest or first-to-wed pair (Christian/Maria) will be the first to move out, into their own nest.  I do get the feeling, though, that in gypsy or Romani culture the more the merrier, and the more babies the better, and that there is usually at least one married son or daughter (with spouse and children)  "in residence." 

Another observation:  For all his protests suggesting otherwise, I think Maria is starting to grow on Christian.  Either he has become resigned to the arranged marriage idea or he has actually begun to appreciate Maria's deeper, subtler attributes rather than simply focusing on the negative.   It is certainly understandable that Christian would need to adjust to Maria's personality, considering the female role model he has been accustomed to his entire life:  The very vocally-expressive Nina.  Even if Christian has learned to accept Maria's reserved personality, it's anyone's guess how all of this will play out in the face of parenthood. As others have pointed out, though, Christian and Maria are fortunate to have almost guaranteed support from extended family: Nina, Michael, and maybe one or both sets of grandparents. 

As much as I like both Nina and Michael - and their sons, particularly Christian and spunky Peter - (has Jimmy turned into another ghost child, a/k/a Jacob Roloff?),  I think Nina can be intimidating; she actually frightens me when she unleashes a tongue lashing on one of her boys or on Maria.  She clearly has established herself - and not Michael - as chief disciplinarian of the children, which surprises me.  I wonder if Christian's whispery voice and submissive demeanor when speaking to his mother has anything to do with her somewhat harsh manner during these reprimands.  Peter, on the other hand, will not be silenced for long; that's the impression I'm getting, anyway.  As a middle child, he will give Nina a real run for her gypsy money.  As a matter of fact, during the episode break that showed Nina crying into the phone, I was almost positive she was crying because she'd just learned that Peter and "my girl" were the expectant couple.   A shotgun gypsy marriage would have really turned this show on its head.

And finally, one more comment, this one re: Josh (Josh/Meghan).   I just have to say that I do not really get the feeling Josh  is "acting."  His attitudes about Meghan's role in the marriage have leaked out more than once thus far, and during the little after-work chat with his colleague, Josh almost came right out and said what it was he missed most about Meghan's absence, implying that he missed her keeping things straight at home (translation: cooking, laundry, writing out the bills, taking care of adorable dog, etc. etc. etc.).  He clearly misses his business partner, cook, laundress, administrative assistant, and go-to-girl.  Someone needs to tell Meghan that she can quit that job at the gym: She already works full time for Josh.

Edited by StayingAfterSunday
  • Love 6

Ug, Josh is such a bag of dicks. I think Megan knew that he wanted a proper Southern wife, but what she didn't know was that she would also have to be a modern woman in terms of bringing in her own cash. The deal was, she would stay home take care of the kids and her giant manchild husband while he went out working as a doctor. He is not living up to his side of the bargain and he is being a super douche to top it off. They don't deserve Gandalf.

Veeral and Ragini are boring as shit together, they'll be boring together as parents, there's just no spark. Whatever, his mom'll raise that baby and Veeral will get jealous of all his/her attention.

Count me in as one of those who are SHOCKED at Maria and Christian doing the hibbity-bibbity.

• Love 3

From what I have read about this, Christian and Maria should be moving out. Which in turn would be when Peter would wed and live with his parents. That would be until the next one was to get married. So not sure how this is going to be but they did say they needed a bigger home. Yet really the 2 should be moving out into their own home and getting ready for the baby. Otherwise I am not sure how this would all play out but that many married in that small a home would be a bit awkward I would think.

I don't understand why Josh and Megan decided to do this show. The show did not paint them or their marriage in a positive light. Nor did it do favors for their extended families. For Josh to match in Radiology and a Transitional year to boot, he must have been a pretty good student, as those two residencies are some of the harder specialties to match into. That means Josh must have some intelligence/sense. Even if he is not yet making "doctor money", I doubt this d-list show on an unknown network, with it's barely there ratings, is paying them that much, so why? It's not like he is going into a field to that he can parlay into TV doctor fame - ala Dr. Oz, or those plastic surgery shows either, so it really is odd. Is the allure for reality TV fame really that common these days, with people willing to risk so much, for so little...

• Love 3

I think Josh has said he had $250K in student loans.  The Married at First sight people (this is speculation) reportedly get $40k per couple per episode.  I do not think the people on this show get nearly as much, but even 15K per episode would go a long way to wipe out that debt.

Otherwise, I have no clue to why you would subject your supposedly traditional southern family to the scrutiny of a reality show.

By the way, whomever called Josh's mother, Bucky beaver, is a genius.

• Love 3

I think those of you who were surprised that C and M had had sex have not been around teenage boys very much and were very much manipulated by the Millers and their reticence to discuss the issue.  Usually, sex is the main thing on the brain of teenage males. (Girls, too, really.)  I doubt Christian is any different!  In the first part of the season, I wondered if he might be gay, so uninterested did he seem in Maria...but I think he has been trained to be very, very careful what he does and says in public, and even more so in front of the cameras.  Besides the stolen kiss that came to light in the "re-arranged" episode...in which they kissed at the first moment they thought they were unobserved, I think there were a couple of early near-slips.  Remember his sheepish laughter when asked by one of the grandfathers what his favorite part of marriage was?  The other men smiled...was his favorite thing that unmentionable activity?  Next, in one of the first episodes when Peter's pending arrangement  came up, while at the basketball court Christian promised to "tell (Peter) what to do," and something to the effect that he had had only his father to turn to.    Hard for me to imagine Christian was going to give relationship advice...so what other advice might be needed for a virgin on his wedding night?

Also very odd, of course, is Maria's decision to "let God decide" when they should start a family, which Christian interpreted to mean that they would wait.  This seems as though Maria is not using---not needing?---birth control...but it seems more likely to me  to be another one of their coy responses to sexual questions.  The "let God decide" response appers again at  the Jersey Shore with Christian's friend,  and then the young woman with the baby suggests maybe Maria would like a baby of her own...both comments later seeming to be foreshadowing in what really seems to be a well developed story line.   And guess what...two episodes later Maria announces she and Christian are having a baby. (Actually, that Christian is"going to be a dad"...by phone, so no one will expect any hugs or kisses.  The word "pregnant" is never uttered, and Maria says something about first suspecting pregnancy when she was eating more than usual. Really? No missed period?)  So maybe they did not consumate the marriage until their return from the Jersey Shore...but I think this was a deliberately misleading response to the entire issue of sex, birth control, and so on.  Hard for me to imagine the "Gypsy elders" are actually, in this day and age, so Victorian,  but remember how ballistic Christian went when Josh tried to find out what had happened on the wedding night?  And his concern the women might have better luck with Maria?  No wonder people were shocked by their big announcement. It does seem they had not had sex!  This is pretty unlikely, though, given hormones and the fact they have been sharing a bed for a year.

What intrigues me is the happy fact for FYI that the Millers were able to announce a baby on the finale of the show!  What good luck for the network. Except that everyone will have forgotten the entire program by next May, I think there will be those searching social media in May/June for a birth announcement!