Type keyword(s) to search

SNL in the Media

• Start Topic

On 9/16/2020 at 7:11 PM, M. Darcy said:

Sigh. It would be nice if Lorne would quit using others and used actual cast members as he used to do.  Phil Hartman was able to play Ronald Reagan, Barbara Bush and Bill Clinton.  And Jason was the perfect Biden. 

Remember when Dana Carvey played both George Bush and Ross Perot in the same sketch!

Edited by heatherchandler
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Remember when Dana Carvey played both George Bush and Ross Perot in the same sketch!

Actually, David Spade was standing there as Ross Perot !

On 9/19/2020 at 10:07 PM, vb68 said:

Figured Eddie was a given. At least we can say Eddie Murphy has an Emmy for SNL. Better late than never.

I'm especially thrilled for Maya.

I stand by what I said earlier. Hosting and playing cameos on SNL is catnip for comedic actors looking for an Emmy.

And since it was a trivia question during the broadcast tonight, Lorne Michaels has the most nominations of any individual with 108 nominations.

I was surprised that was Eddie's first Emmy until I realized he'd barely done TV since SNL (outside of some producing). 

I was hoping Cecily would win too but the nomination was the real prize in her case. 

21 hours ago, Jody said:

Actually, David Spade was standing there as Ross Perot !

Yes, David was unhappy about that, because he ended up just being used as a stand-in while they cut to pre-tape footage of Dana. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, ClassicShowsFan said:

Chris Rock will be the host for the Season 46 premiere:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/chris-rock-host-snl-premiere-181244168.html

With Megan thee Stallion as MG.

Chris Rock makes sense as a host at the moment. He can do a long standup monologue and won't have to appear in as many sketches. He also has a long history with the show.

Another new Lorne interview. He talks more about their plans, recasting Biden, as well as criticism of the blackface incident with Jimmy Fallon.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/24/arts/television/lorne-michaels-saturday-night-live-chris-rock.html

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Pete Martell said:

With Megan thee Stallion as MG.

Chris Rock makes sense as a host at the moment. He can do a long standup monologue and won't have to appear in as many sketches. He also has a long history with the show.

Another new Lorne interview. He talks more about their plans, recasting Biden, as well as criticism of the blackface incident with Jimmy Fallon.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/24/arts/television/lorne-michaels-saturday-night-live-chris-rock.html

It’s uncertain if the hosts and MGs will be performing from within the studio.

Edited by ClassicShowsFan
  • Love 1

Chris Rock is a very good choice for hosting the premiere. It probably won't surprise anyone that I'm not familiar with Megan thee Stallion. Though I find the "thee" rather annoying.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, vb68 said:

Chris Rock is a very good choice for hosting the premiere. It probably won't surprise anyone that I'm not familiar with Megan thee Stallion. Though I find the "thee" rather annoying.  

She was a special guest on Chance the Rapper's episode last season, if you want to check that out. 

I don't really listen to a lot of new music, to be honest - no real opinion either. I did hear that "Savage" song she did, which was sort of catchy. She's had a lot of drama over the last few months; the booking people must figure this will get some eyeballs. Her lyrics are very explicit so I guess that will entail quite a bit of cleanup.

Edited by Pete Martell
6 minutes ago, Pete Martell said:

That will, presumably, be without musical performances, sketches that have copyrighted songs in them, and certain controversial/offensive sketches, but it's nice some content will be out there for people. 

Its a shame, but it’s nice to see the full Saturday Night Live library again.

Edited by ClassicShowsFan
  • Love 1

I don't know why they're bothering with the questions--it's not like they'll be able to verify the answers. On-site testing and temperature check should do it, if they absolutely have to have an audience. I guess it's a liability thing in case somebody who attends ends up testing positive later.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

I don't know why they're bothering with the questions--it's not like they'll be able to verify the answers. On-site testing and temperature check should do it, if they absolutely have to have an audience. I guess it's a liability thing in case somebody who attends ends up testing positive later.

I don't get it either. Are they going to put stickers for social distancing or are the audience required to wear masks during the comedy bits? All that laughter seems like a recipe for disaster....

17 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

I don't get it either. Are they going to put stickers for social distancing or are the audience required to wear masks during the comedy bits? All that laughter seems like a recipe for disaster....

Audience are required to wear masks the whole time. And they have to be masks--no bandanas, gaiters, or masks with vents. "Bubbles" can only come in sizes of 2, 7, 8, or 9--I guess somebody did the math for how they can social distance groups while maximizing people. But I would be highly skeptical of a group of 9 people claiming they're around each other all the time. I know it's New York but that seems like a stretch.

The ticket page lays out all the rules: https://1iota.com/show/462/saturday-night-live

• Love 2
On 9/25/2020 at 2:38 AM, Pete Martell said:

I don't really listen to a lot of new music, to be honest - no real opinion either. I did hear that "Savage" song she did, which was sort of catchy. She's had a lot of drama over the last few months; the booking people must figure this will get some eyeballs. Her lyrics are very explicit so I guess that will entail quite a bit of cleanup.

Bring a bucket and a mop...

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 10/1/2020 at 10:11 PM, GoldenGirl90 said:

lol.

Bill Burr Will Be The Host On October 10 And the Musical Guest Will Be Morgan Waller ! ! Issa Rae Will Be The Host On October 17 And Justin Bieber Will Be The Musical Guest ! !

Honestly shocked that Bill Burr wanted to do this, that'll be a hell of a show. When was the last time two standups (especially of this caliber) hosted back to back?

On 9/26/2020 at 5:07 AM, Pete Martell said:

That will, presumably, be without musical performances, sketches that have copyrighted songs in them, and certain controversial/offensive sketches, but it's nice some content will be out there for people. 

Music licensing keeping sketches out makes sense, but I guess that means the Richard Pryor episode is a no go, is it?

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Does this mean a new season of Insecure is starting soon??

It had a season in the Spring, so probably not. I have a strong hunch she was suppose to host back then when they pulled the remaining live shows.

11 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Honestly shocked that Bill Burr wanted to do this

He was in The King of Staten Island with Pete, so I don't think it's that surprising.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, vb68 said:

It had a season in the Spring, so probably not. I have a strong hunch she was suppose to host back then when they pulled the remaining live shows.

Before covid hit and her movie with Kumail Nanjiani (The Lovebirds) was set for an April theatrical release, I was getting nonstop ads for it in January. I definitely think she was supposed to host last season as it appeared there was originally a huge marketing strategy planned, before it was quietly released on streaming.

It doesn't seem like they're having trouble booking hosts, with 3 pretty big gets for the first shows of the season. But Justin Bieber as the musical guest for the second time in the same calendar year? Is there literally no one else?

• Love 4

Ugh, Bieber. Is there really a significant portion of the SNL audience who wants to watch him? If I have to see something Bieb-related on the show, I'd much rather it be Kate's impression. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, heatherchandler said:

Really?  I thought it was pretty awful.  Chris Rock was funny, but nothing else was.

I thought it was about typical for most premieres, and sadly about typical for modern SNL (I did enjoy the show quite a bit more once they got past the repetitive/low-energy name sketch, but the execution and timing of a lot of stuff was not great), but it had Jim Carrey, and many were likely tuning in because of the idea that SNL would have tons to say. As they did not (for me only Weekend Update managed to get the feel right - the rest of the show either just ignored everything going on or instead, as in the debate, decided to just hit the rewind button because it was easier that way), I imagine the ratings will fall quite a bit...although even if the show had been excellent, they likely would have fallen, as many only tune in for that one hyped first moment (like Carrey's debut).

This article sort of summed up the approach I wish SNL would take in not ignoring modern life.

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2020/10/snl-season-46-premiere-jim-carrey-joe-biden/616609/

A brief article on writer changes this season. James Anderson's absence was noted by some fans - apparently he will be back later this season. Chris Kelly (who wrote for the show for about 5-6 years and was co-headwriters in 16-17) has returned for several episodes. The lone new writer is Celeste Yim.

https://www.vulture.com/article/snl-season-46-writers.html

1 hour ago, DXD526 said:

Ugh, Bieber. Is there really a significant portion of the SNL audience who wants to watch him? If I have to see something Bieb-related on the show, I'd much rather it be Kate's impression. 

He must have a good record company or manager to be on twice in a year, unless a lot of artists just don't want to do the show right now. The oddest part is the last episode he was an MG for was also a big tone shift from the previous week (RuPaul was the host for Bieber, the week before was JJ Watt and country artist Luke Combs).

2 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I imagine the ratings will fall quite a bit...although even if the show had been excellent, they likely would have fallen, as many only tune in for that one hyped first moment (like Carrey's debut).

The ratings are probably right at their peak right now, and will fall off once the election is over. Election shows and sketches are considered their bread and butter (for better or worse) and generate considerably more interest.

2 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Chris Kelly (who wrote for the show for about 5-6 years and was co-headwriters in 16-17) has returned for several episodes. The lone new writer is Celeste Yim.

I'm excited to hear Chris Kelly is back. He was the co-headwriter for the best season of the show in recent memory. There was a very noticeable drop in quality when he left. Having said that, I really didn't see his influence this past week.

It's also pretty ironic when you consider when Bieber hosted several years ago now, the cast was pretty open that they couldn't stand him and mocked him on-air. That never happens.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2
50 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I'm excited to hear Chris Kelly is back. He was the co-headwriter for the best season of the show in recent memory. There was a very noticeable drop in quality when he left. Having said that, I really didn't see his influence this past week.

I watched that season in full a few months back, a bit at a time - it had the usual early season bumps then got very strong, then in the last third started to remind me a lot of the problems they've had since (like not knowing where to put sketches, energy issues, tonal issues, etc.). I suppose by that point he and Sarah Schneider were phasing themselves out. Hopefully they will be able to have a better headwriting team similar to the better moments of Chris and Kelly, once the current people have left. 

I've seen some speculation that he is just back to help Aidy/Kate/Cecily say goodbye. If so then I wonder if he mainly just wrote or helped write the stuntwoman piece. I'm not really that into a lot of Aidy/Kate material (he and Schneider apparently wrote the New York talk show host in RuPaul's episode that I also did not care for), so that may be a reason why his influence didn't make as much of a difference for me. 

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, Dejana said:

Adele as a host next week, not the musical guest. Interesting...

Wow. Interesting indeed. Based on the Issa Rae episode, I can't say I'm overly optimistic, but I certainly hope it 's a good show.

I'm sure nobody would have called that. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1