Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E19: Live Eliminations

• Start Topic

Random thoughts after watching:

I'm glad Amy survived. And she was never, apparently, a pageant girl, or she would have come up with a better answer to a softball question than that rambling gibberish she uttered, when Carson had basically asked her to say a few adoring things about Adam.

I'm not surprised Mark went home. I never could remember his existence from show to show.

Pharrell really can't sing much, can he?

Nice singing, Korin. You do look like Gwen's little sister, though.

• Love 1

This is a little off topic, but tonight the Peoples Couch people watch last week's episode of The Voice and they are very funny.

If it had to come down to Korin or Mark, Mark was my pick to go.   I think he is very talented but I don't think he is ready to compete on this level and I am not sure Pharrell is the type of coach he needs to learn from.

Edited by car54
  • Love 1

Mark has a very sweet and endearing personality, but his vocals have been shakey. Korin has been hit or miss lately, but I think she has more potential.

My problem with Korin's makeover(s) is that she's unrecognizable. Cutting Craig Wayne Boyd's hair worked because he still looked like the same guy. His hair had the same color and texture, he just looked more polished. I'm convinced that experience made Gwen think makeovers are the key to success on this show. Two makeovers for Korin is just too much. Making her look like a mini Gwen just makes it creepy. 

• Love 7

I do not like that platinum blonde look on Korin because she doesn't have the poise to carry it off, and as Dots said, she just looks like Gwen's mini-me which is just strange when Gwen is supposed to be letting her develop her own look.

After having an elimination round where half the participants got let go, simply losing one person today seemed unbalanced.

Did they sing Mark's praises after his song, or did fhey just go right into Korin's? I don't remember them doing so, but I might have walked out of the room briefly at that point (and I always forget that can DVR-pause it).

I thought Korin sang her song well, but I simply don't like that kind of breathy, lilting singing style.

I think that Zach is going to have to wiggle his hips next week if he wants to stay. I think the previous wiggle has just about worn off.

I like Jordan but I really wish they wouldn't talk about him like he's the most wondrous thing God ever created. As a woman with an alto voice who's been automatically "sir'd" and mistaken for a man on the phone, I've probably somewhat experienced the reverse of the kind of cr@p he's probably had to put up with. All of the coaches' fawning simply makes me uncomfortable and I'm guessing Jordan is doing mental eyerolls when they start up with it, because he knows once he's off the show he's going to have to deal with real world reactions and awkwardness again.

• Love 3

I *liked* when they asked Korin about Gwen as a coach and she said the best thing about her was how she encouraged Korin to "be herself" and then quickly adds that she'd encouraged her to experiment and find her own style.  Snerk!

• Love 2

I'm not surprised that Mark went home. I threw him some votes because I had the feeling he would be in danger against the teenybopper Braiden vote.

Pharrell should stick to producing and auto-tune because he really can't sing live.

Jordan seems like a nice guy, but as a singer, he doesn't do it for me. He very well might win the show, but I see zero chance of commercial success. 

At this point, I'm rooting for Madi and Jeffrey.

My random thoughts:

Shelby is a perfect example of Resting Bitch Face.

I hate the question/answer sessions.  They're so meaningless.

This is a pretty white-bread lineup we have left; kind of sad about that.

I agree with the above commenter that eliminating one person seemed incongruous.

I wasn't a fan of any of the group performances, but I made it through Blake's with out hitting the FF.  Pharrell wasn't so lucky.

I want the show to have a low-end age limit.  The Voice should not be a high school talent show, with contestants competing for what seems like votes from high schoolers.

• Love 8

Finally fast forwarded - er, watched - and at least it wasn't two hours like the performance shows.

No surprise as to who made it through and who went home.

I really do not like what Gwen has done to Korin's look. Honestly, I don't necessarily mind the hair colour because most girls that age like to play with hair colour, but I hate that she cut it so much with blunt ends and straightened it. And when Carson asked Korin what having Gwen as a coach meant, it was mostly about how Gwen has experimented with her look. So telling. Gwen needs to leave Korin and Braiden alone and let themselves be THEMSELVES.

Skipped Pharrell's team performance completely and then ended up skipping most of Blake's team performance because I can't stand to watch Barrett.

Let's hope they send more people home next week. This needs to move faster to ultimate pronouncement of Jordan as this season's winner.

• Love 3

1.. Other than a special summer Voice edition for Jr. High and High School kids, The Voice should have a minimum age of 18. Remember a couple of days ago, Braiden said "I can't believe it...I should be in school now studying...and I'm here..." Damn right, Braiden. He unwittingly voiced what I've always thought. The message that these shows should be sending is "Stay in school. Study. Get your diploma. Then come audition when you turn 18."  (I realize that some kids are 18 and still in high school, but you know what I mean.) Shame on shows like AI and TV for sending any other message.

2. Although I hate the blonde look Gwen gave Korin--I think the hair could have been cut to be cuter, rather than bleached into oblivion--in general, I think Gwen is right on the money when she says it's not just about the voice, it's also about the look. I like the makeovers she's done for the most part. I happen to like what she's done with Braiden's look. Now, I happen to dislike Gwen's own heavily-made-up style, but she seems to have had success with it (or at least feels she has).

Jordan seems like a nice guy, but as a singer, he doesn't do it for me. He very well might win the show, but I see zero chance of commercial success.

You're forgetting about contemporary Christian music. CCM loves singing competition show alumni. Danny Gokey, Colton Dixon, Mandisa, probably others.

Along with needing to stop messing around with Braeden & Korin's hair; Gwen also needs to stop projecting herself onto Korin.  Last night she went on about how much she identifies with Korin; how she is 'blossoming before our eyes,' 'becoming a new person,' and 'taking a new journey, just like me,' .... as poor Korin is standing there shaking in her newly platinum Gwen Stefani Hair looking horrified.  Umm, let's try and keep it about Korin, Gwen, because it is starting to get creepy.  

She was doing the same thing with that forgettable purple haired girl earlier in the season; bonding over how 'different' they both were; ending with her singing & dancing just like Gwen in her last performance before she went bye-bye.. 

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 6

One more on hair!  To get her hair that light took most of the day; it is a 2 step process.  Touching up her roots will be a 2 step procedure, too.  It is expensive.  Gwen gave no thought to this girl being able to maintain this.   Gwen is out of touch with reality among other things.  

• Love 4

In my opinion Gwen is the worst coach. It seems like this is a silly hobby for her. I remember a year or so ago she had a singer that wouldn't take her um-advise? It's so clear about how much time the other coaches put in, not to mention that they seem to care.

1.. Other than a special summer Voice edition for Jr. High and High School kids, The Voice should have a minimum age of 18. Remember a couple of days ago, Braiden said "I can't believe it...I should be in school now studying...and I'm here..." Damn right, Braiden. He unwittingly voiced what I've always thought. The message that these shows should be sending is "Stay in school. Study. Get your diploma. Then come audition when you turn 18."  (I realize that some kids are 18 and still in high school, but you know what I mean.) Shame on shows like AI and TV for sending any other message.

2. Although I hate the blonde look Gwen gave Korin--I think the hair could have been cut to be cuter, rather than bleached into oblivion--in general, I think Gwen is right on the money when she says it's not just about the voice, it's also about the look. I like the makeovers she's done for the most part. I happen to like what she's done with Braiden's look. Now, I happen to dislike Gwen's own heavily-made-up style, but she seems to have had success with it (or at least feels she has).

I think both are interesting points.  

1.  I think youngsters can be a good thing for the show.  However, they should be the exception rather than the rule.  I've liked contestants like Melanie Martinez and Rae Lynn who were mature for their age and pretty far along in developing their own musical identifies and artistry.  

The problem with the show is the increasing number of youngsters. My goodness, look at the sheer number of 15-17 year olds reaching the lives this season...Shelby, Zach, Emily Ann, Madi, Braiden, Chance. Some have been singing material that they clearly don't relate to.  Emily Ann this week.  Zach last week.  Braiden very much acts like a kid (not his fault, he's 15!).  

Is this due to a drained talent pool?  Or is this what the public wants?  The only ones not voted through were Chance and Emily Ann (although I bet Emily Ann got a lot of votes based on how well she did on itunes). Many of the more experienced contestants did not get the vote. Many older contestants did not get the vote.  

2.  I agree with you on Gwen. I think she has the right idea and gives more practical advice for succeeding in the real life music industry. It's less about vocal ability and more about making the artist stand out in some way. Problem is The Voice is a reality competition show where other factors like relatability are important to the voters.  Having Korin change her hair to the shocking blonde color is not very relatable.  

Going by Gwens fashion trends next week Korin is going to end up looking like a harajuku girl. This show is just so damn horrible this season. I care about NONE of these contestants and the show has become a joke. I miss the old voice. This show needs less young contestants and more older, seasoned contestants. I feel like I'm watching American Idol and that is NOT a compliment. 

• Love 6

So many good points that I'm not sure what I think anymore! Re: youngsters. I don't mind them if they can get through, as they do, on talent (although ITA it starts to look more like Idol--and that's not a good thing).  But I'm disappointed that the only "older" contestant going into the lives was Barrett, whom I can't stand. Not sure where/how it all went wrong, since there were several good older contestants earlier--but maybe they just weren't good enough at holding the stage.

I have to be honest that, while some whom I preferred lost out, there wasn't anyone I can look back on and say, "Darn it! I wish s/he was still there!" like I have in previous seasons. So... maybe the overall talent pool is just weaker this season? Or is it that, once you get through the audition, older people just need more...charisma?...talent?...to compensate for the advantage younger people have on camera.  (But that doesn't explain Barrett, whom I find so generic as a singer and kind of unappealing in general. Apparently "America" disagrees, even though he's older--and I would have preferred Dustin or Blind Joe--there he is, voted through).

Re: Gwen. She's always making it "all about her". Last week it was even funny during the eliminations, as she blathered on to them about how "You've saved ME!" until Carson had to interject, "Uh, ... is there something you want to say about your team?"  And most women with distinctive hair would think twice about making someone else have that same style, for fear of seeming like "I'm trying to make you look just like me!" I mean, there are so many other ways Gwen could have played "real life Barbie" with Korin--including starting with a cut, as someone said above, or even just some blonde highlights to see how she liked it. Making her look like Gwen (esp after we've seen the nanny pictures, too) is just kind of bizarre and seems sort of narcissistic. (Also giving that really unpleasant message that "I'm beautiful and you're not--but the more you look like ME the better you will look!"

The only reason I'm a little bit mixed on the hair, is because you could see Korin had very low self esteem and didn't think much of her looks. Even though she had created a cute "style" for herself that a lot of people would like, it wasn't an "I'm a beautiful girl" style. Whether she wanted that or not, I don't know, but Gwen -did- show her that changing something as simple as her hair color could make a dramatic difference in her looks--and, I'm sure, in how other people (inc. guys) suddenly are noticing her more. So, in a way, I think that might have been interesting and fun for her. (On the other hand, it's not a makeover show and Gwen's not her therapist, so...I'm conflicted about the hair! lol)

I thought the new voting limitations would make this even more like AI results. But I don't think Jordan would be leading iTunes sales with his religious song on Idol,  (or that Barrett would be getting through on votes) so...maybe I really don't know how The Voice voters think at all--or what kind of result the show is looking for with the changes. (Because "Jordan"? Really?  He has a good voice, no question, but why would TPTB want the winner to be someone who would never succeed in the pop music world, probably will just have a very nice future in Christian music?).. .

• Love 1

Jordan is so going to win this just like Sawyer last season. Everyone is just competing for 2nd place. In a way, this takes the interest out of an already uninspiring and boring show.

People who I wouldn't mind seeing instead of this current crop: the twins, Chase, Tim, Blaine and yes, Ellie again.

They are not perfect vocally but more interesting stylistically. They have a higher chance for a big fail but also higher chance to give a really interesting performance. Judging from the contestants left on the show, some of them looked like performing is the least enjoyable thing in the world. I'm looking at you Emily Ann and Amy. How can I enjoy them then? Even during the Q&A session during this episode, the only one who gave a confident answer was Zach the pelvis.

• Love 2

Like last season, the winner is a foregone conclusion.  For me, it's just enjoying (some) of the music until the inevitable.  While I think Jordan has an extraordinary gift, his voice isn't my thing and I don't like the lack of drama as to who will win.  Boo show.  Boo voting people for being so predictable.

Randomly: I enjoyed "Lean on Me" which surprised me.  Madi is good and I want her to stay but I hate the hat.  She looked really good on performance night and the hat is just a statement or crutch or whatever.  Anyway, I'm tired of hats.  Except for Pharrell.  I miss his big stupid Mounty hat - I really do.  Emily Ann doesn't annoy me like she does others.  She's not my favorite but she's good at what she does...country.  I can see why Blake kept her because she is marketable in Nashville - young, pretty, talented.  I do not like Barrett.  Don't really know why but every time I see him I want to punch him.  I'm sorry for Mark but Pharrell picked the wrong guy - he should have stuck with the other, more wildly talented guy (whose name escapes me...was it Darius??).

Wasn't wild about Adam's choice of song for Amy but I'm glad she stayed and glad she charted well on iTunes.

Edited by limecoke
  • Love 1

My dislike of all the youngsters is that my impression of the show in the past (which of course may be only my impression, not reality) is that it was a great way for those who'd busted their butts in the music business to take that next leap. There were cruise ship singers, wedding band singers, Nashville bar performers, NY bar performers, backup singers, music teachers, etc - those who had slogged their way around for years, and *were* talented. Now we have 15-year-olds who have paid no dues whatsoever, saying dopey things before the blinds like "this is my last chance".

And now this season which just have one who might fit that mold, Barrett, and he sucks. Well, maybe Shelby...wasn't she the one who sang in bowling alleys? Just annoys the heck out of me.

• Love 2

Yeah, I remember some of the contestants from the early seasons.  They definitely had the voice but not necessarily the whole package.  And back then, that was the concept of the show.  You know...the VOICE.  Not the package.  Not the platinum hair.  Not the sequined boots.  Or whatever.

I'm sad that this show has succumbed.  Instead of being a leader it has become a sheep, merely following the trends that are already set.  I knew it was over when Blake made some comment this season about how Gwen would probably keep one of her team members because she needed a rocker chick -- someone to fill that slot.  As if there were a formula and the contestants had become cogs in the great Voice marketing wheel.  I still watch this show.  I still prefer it over American Idol times infinity.  But the show has lost its innocence.  And so have I.  Color me sad.

Edited by Vanderfabulous
  • Love 4

I didn't particularly like either performance.  Both Mark and Korin have done better.  Since one of them had to stay, I guess I´m okay with keeping Korin just in case she can repeat her knockout performance.

In any other season I would have been delighted with the show keeping more contestants for as long as possible.  But there is so much deadwood this season that the opposite is true.  We can't get rid of the likes of Braiden, Zack and Korin soon enough.  Evan and Barrett can follow shortly afterwards.

I'm not surprised that Mark went home. I threw him some votes because I had the feeling he would be in danger against the teenybopper Braiden vote.

At this point, I'm rooting for Madi and Jeffrey.

I suspect that Braiden is surviving more on the Mom and Granny vote than on support from other teenybopper's.  Zack on the other hand ...

I`m also rooting for Madi and Jeffrey.

Edited by viajero
  • Love 1

My dislike of all the youngsters is that my impression of the show in the past (which of course may be only my impression, not reality) is that it was a great way for those who'd busted their butts in the music business to take that next leap. There were cruise ship singers, wedding band singers, Nashville bar performers, NY bar performers, backup singers, music teachers, etc - those who had slogged their way around for years, and *were* talented. Now we have 15-year-olds who have paid no dues whatsoever, saying dopey things before the blinds like "this is my last chance".

You're right, that was the marketing hook when this show started out. The Voice was going to find and reward really talented singers who had been paying their dues for years without getting the big break.. But as many have pointed out, it's now pretty much indistinguishable from American Idol. In fact, experience now seems to count against you. I keep hearing the coaches say that they're going to save the singer who they feel they can help the most.

Maybe the coaches just want to win and figure that America is more likely to vote for "the kids." Or maybe its their egos, because they don't want to work with a singer who is older and more confident, and less likely to take their advice. I think that's what happened with Viktor. I realize he had a "lounge singer" vibe that might've been turn off, but the dude could sing!

Regarding Jordan, I had the same thought his only chance at a professional career is in Christian music. But it's not like looks and image don't matter there too. And I wonder how warmly some of that demographic would welcome Jordan.

I don't think there's any intentional racism, but how does a show called The Voice end up without a single black singer in the Top 11? Well, I guess it's because black Americans haven't contributed much to popular music. (said with a giant heaping of sarcasm).

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 3

while some whom I preferred lost out, there wasn't anyone I can look back on and say, "Darn it! I wish s/he was still there!" like I have in previous seasons.

I actually felt that way about Ivonne, who I loved!

• Love 3

You're right, that was the marketing hook when this show started out. The Voice was going to find and reward really talented singers who had been paying their dues for years without getting the big break.. But as many have pointed out, it's now pretty much indistinguishable from American Idol. In fact, experience now seems to count against you. I keep hearing the coaches say that they're going to save the singer who they feel they can help the most.

Maybe the coaches just want to win and figure that America is more likely to vote for "the kids." Or maybe its their egos, because they don't want to work with a singer who is older and more confident, and less likely to take their advice. I think that's what happened with Viktor. I realize he had a "lounge singer" vibe that might've been turn off, but the dude could sing!

I don't think it's a coach ego issue. The coaches have had no issues working with seasoned contestants in the past. Adam usually has a lot of experienced folks on his team, Blake had Meghan and Craig in recent seasons, Pharrell also went with the professionals in his first season.

I think it really is a talent pool issue. The show is not starting off with a very good cast. Less professionals, more youngsters. Like a couple of others have mentioned, there weren't really any outrageous decisions made in the taped rounds. The coaches advanced the right people within reason (obviously some personal preference in play). Then, for whatever reason, in the live playoffs, the public voted to advance almost all of the youngsters. Apparently people like Viktor, Keith, Ellie, Celeste, Darius, and Amy weren't appealing enough compared to the youngsters.

Oh well. A draining talent pool is something that some of us have been complaining about for awhile now. The last decent season for me was season 5. But the show has done it to itself. I remember when I first started watching The Voice in season 2 in spring 2012, Carson was doing a ton of interviews to promote the show. He talked about how the network was really pushing to add a fall season right away after the surprising ratings success of season 1. But the producers (and maybe the coaches, I don't remember) pushed back and said no, they needed time to recruit good talent for the show. Well, now we have two seasons a year, already into season 9, and while I'm sure the show has a recruiting pipeline and is more efficient at it, it's clear the better talent pool willing to go on reality TV has been depleted.

Edited by Noreaster
  • Love 2

The posts above are the reason why I don't watch the lives anymore. (In fact last year, I may have ditched the show sooner than that.) I just wait for the next day and watch selected performances on YouTube. (Currently, Jeffrey, Jordan, and Madi. And TBH, even they did not blow me away this week.)

They probably have more kids auditioning due to the success of the show. Like how in American Idol, you have kids saying they have been watching it and wanting to be on it since they are 5. I notice the worst cuts are not really during the battles or knockouts but during the live play offs. Letting 8 contestants go at one shot is brutal and a drain on the talent pool of the season. What's worse, it's not even the top vote getters who are moving through but top vote getters per team. I know that's the format but they should reconsider it.

• Love 1

Yeah, I remember some of the contestants from the early seasons.  They definitely had the voice but not necessarily the whole package.  And back then, that was the concept of the show.  You know...the VOICE.  Not the package.  Not the platinum hair.  Not the sequined boots.  Or whatever.

I'm sad that this show has succumbed.  Instead of being a leader it has become a sheep, merely following the trends that are already set.  I knew it was over when Blake made some comment this season about how Gwen would probably keep one of her team members because she needed a rocker chick -- someone to fill that slot.  As if there were a formula and the contestants had become cogs in the great Voice marketing wheel.  I still watch this show.  I still prefer it over American Idol times infinity.  But the show has lost its innocence.  And so have I.  Color me sad.

I'm sadly feeling this way, too Vanderfabulous.   Especially after reading what Tom Jones had to say over in the Media thread about how the producers of The Voice UK were starting to manipulate the show.  I noticed this season that the coaches were turning their chairs for a lot more contestants than previous seasons ..... then I read that Tom said that the coaches were being told to do this so that the contestants had more coaches to pick from, thus making for a more entertaining show.  He said that he was told that if he got stuck with someone he didn't want, he could always dump them later on.  Hmmmm.....  seems to me I watched a lot of that happening this exact season on this show with these coaches ....grrr.   I know this shit goes down on all of these shows but with The Voice it was never that obvious or overt.    

Probably not.  Korin's hair is the elephant in the room that cannot be ignored!

LOL, wings707.   Yep, my post was all about her hair.  And as a fairly new poster to this show's forum, I didn't want to tick anybody off with my long-winded thoughts about her bleached locks.

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 1

Oh well. A draining talent pool is something that some of us have been complaining about for awhile now. The last decent season for me was season 5. But the show has done it to itself. I remember when I first started watching The Voice in season 2 in spring 2012, Carson was doing a ton of interviews to promote the show. He talked about how the network was really pushing to add a fall season right away after the surprising ratings success of season 1. But the producers (and maybe the coaches, I don't remember) pushed back and said no, they needed time to recruit good talent for the show. Well, now we have two seasons a year, already into season 9, and while I'm sure the show has a recruiting pipeline and is more efficient at it, it's clear the better talent pool willing to go on reality TV has been depleted.

Season 5 was the last decent season for me, too.  There was so much talent on that season, and I couldn't wait to watch the lives each week.  I think you make a good point about the fact the show is on twice a year now.  I think it's something the producers should really take a look at and reconsider going back to once a year.  I think it takes a toll on the coaches and has an effect on how excited they are for a new batch, particularly the now permanent three (Adam, Blake and Pharrell). 

I still think part of the problem is that there really has been no breakout star on this show, with the exception arguably of Cassadee Pope.  She may never be a Carrie Underwood or Miranda Lambert, but she is making a name for herself in the music industry.  I suppose part of that is due to her Hey Monday success before The Voice.  I guess Jordan could have some success, but if Sawyer doesn't become a breakout star, I don't see it happening for Jordan.  I think part of this is due to overload with two seasons.  Before the public has time to watch the newest winner develop, the show is already promoting the next season.  

Season 5 was the last decent season for me, too.  There was so much talent on that season, and I couldn't wait to watch the lives each week.  I think you make a good point about the fact the show is on twice a year now.  I think it's something the producers should really take a look at and reconsider going back to once a year.  I think it takes a toll on the coaches and has an effect on how excited they are for a new batch, particularly the now permanent three (Adam, Blake and Pharrell). 

I still think part of the problem is that there really has been no breakout star on this show, with the exception arguably of Cassadee Pope.  She may never be a Carrie Underwood or Miranda Lambert, but she is making a name for herself in the music industry.  I suppose part of that is due to her Hey Monday success before The Voice.  I guess Jordan could have some success, but if Sawyer doesn't become a breakout star, I don't see it happening for Jordan.  I think part of this is due to overload with two seasons.  Before the public has time to watch the newest winner develop, the show is already promoting the next season.  

To be clear, the show started doing two seasons a year right after season 2. I was just mentioning the initial pushback the producers had against putting the show on too often which made a lot of sense to me. I wonder if the network would ever cut back on the show.  Ratings are still relatively good (for network TV and for a reality competition show), it provides a good lead-in to other shows, and well, what are the alternatives on the schedule?  Who knows.  Maybe with less competition (with American Idol ending and X-Factor already gone), the network can take a longer-term perspective and decide that they have the luxury to rebuild the pipeline and potentially come back stronger.  Or not.  Maybe just stick to two seasons a year and simply ride out whatever is left of this reality singing show phase.

I think you make a good point on the breakout star part.  Well maybe not exactly "breakout".  I don't think that was necessary.  But most winners/finalists of the show haven't really gotten much traction after their appearances.  I don't follow any one contestant closely after the show, but from what I've read, there hasn't been much in the way of promotional support for the winners. Some other contestants may have gotten new record deals but again it's been pretty quiet on that front.  So what's the incentive for the professionals to go on the show?  The better ones are likely already making a living.  If the show doesn't help much, then it may all be a waste of time.  Has the additional exposure translated into anything significant for most?  

Edited by Noreaster

It'll probably end the season behind around 5ish shows - football/Empire/Bang/Walking Dead/Thrones. I don't think it needs the qualifier of "relatively good (for network TV and for a reality competition show)."

With American Idol ending, that means the army of 15 and 16 year olds that try out for Idol will be descending on The Voice. Yeesh!

Maybe since there are two shows a year they could have one for the under 18s, and one for the over 18s. Or better yet, make the diving line 21, so we can have a real "adult" edition of The Voice. (which is how I remember the first couple of seasons).

I think that with each edition having a different flavor it would make both of them more interesting. And ideally, they might try different coaches. (Like keep Gwen for the kids, since she loves having them play dress-up.)

Tom Jones is a coach on the UK Voice? Wow. I would love to see someone of that stature, and that level of experience, on the US show. If not Tom himself, if they could coordinate between the shooting schedules.

• Love 1
Korin's hair is the elephant in the room that cannot be ignored!

Word.  I don't understand the whole platinum is good thing because it just does not look good on that many people.  Why can't a young woman just say, "Thanks, but I love my hair color so I'll stick with it."  It certainly didn't help poor Korin in the voting and her true hair color was lovely.  Besides the fact that it's idiocy to start turning your hair to straw at such a young age.  

Tom Jones is a coach on the UK Voice? Wow. I would love to see someone of that stature, and that level of experience, on the US show. If not Tom himself, if they could coordinate between the shooting schedules.

He was a coach until he was fired.  Page 4 of The Voice in The Media thread is where I first learned of this, too, along with his complaints about the show's behind-the-scenes drama.

Besides the fact that it's idiocy to start turning your hair to straw at such a young age.

Yep!  And very, very expensive & high maintenance straw at that!  That's why I was happy to see that Korin survived another week. So that her hair problem is still that of the show's hair dept and not hers alone. 

Edited by Cementhead

Regarding Jordan, I had the same thought his only chance at a professional career is in Christian music. But it's not like looks and image don't matter there too. And I wonder how warmly some of that demographic would welcome Jordan.

As far as I know, Jordan is a heterosexual male who has always been a male, overweight with a very high voice. I fast-forward A LOT, so did I miss something about his background or orientation or something?

Rightly or wrongly, people make assumptions. I mean, when Jordan auditioned, what was all that "you're the most important person in the history of this show" stuff from the coaches about? I'm guessing they thought he was transgender. I don't think we'd have heard that kind of rhetoric if they just thought he was overweight and/or had a high voice.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 3

I didn't think they thought he was transgender because he was such a big guy. I thought the whole, "the most important singer on this show, the most magical magical unicorn ever" was because he was large, overweight, nerdy looking--and Adam assumed he was gay and he dressed like a gawky school boy from the 1950s--all while having a vocal range that let him sing Beyoncé and Adele.  It was a really weird, OTT reaction (which sometimes AL does maybe just to intentionally amp up the "excitement"of the show), but I really thought hat it was the combo of "gay + overweight + hopelessly nerdy... AND with an amazing high rang"--that got Adam looking at Jordan as the ultimate outcast who was going to have his "breakthrough moment" as a singer --and as a person-- on the show.

We'll never know, though, since admitting to any of that would be pretty offensive.  I guess Jordan just doesn't sing in a style that speaks to me, because I'm really surprised how he's selling songs (70k!!!t this week) and getting votes. Even with this new system that I felt would skew to younger voters, he's doing great. Still, I wonder when it gets to F2 if the "I preferred others all along vote" might be large enough to keep him from being a shoe-in winner like Sawyer was. .

Edited by Padma

Kworb.net's final predictions for the week's sales:
1. Hello 423,000
2. Sorry 196,000
3. Love Yourself 160,000
4. Great Is Thy Faithfulness (The Voice Performance) 154,000
5. Hotline Bling 92,000

Last week, his final had Jordan as the #15 seller and just 1k below #14; the actual position was #14.
However, because Bieber's Sorry was already a single, it's possible that all the people who Complete My Album'ed on iTunes would drag down its official numbers, pushing Jordan to #3.

Reminder of top pre-finals weekly sales positions:
#3 S3 Cassadee/Over You (T10)
#6 S3 Cassadee/Stupid Boy (Semis)
#8 S7 Matt/Blower’s Daughter (T8)
#9 S5 Matthew/Hallelujah (T12)
#13 S7 Craig/The Old Rugged Cross (Semis)
#14 S9 Jordan/Halo (Playoffs)
#14 S5 Tessanne/Bridge Over Troubled Water (Semis)

Randomly: I enjoyed "Lean on Me" which surprised me.

I did, too - it was an oddly appealing country Lean on Me.  On the other hand, Pharrell's team sounded like a bunch of cats had been thrown in the middle of a roller derby.

(It doesn't make sense to me, either, but that's kind of my point.)

Tom Jones was really cool as a coach. I'm very sorry they fired him.

If you look on YouTube you can watch clips of different countries' Voices. It's interesting comparing the talent and the coaches. The US definitely has the most 4 chair turns.

For example, One of the coaches on the Irish Voice makes amazingly cool song choices (Kate Bush, Bjork, the Cure, Elvis Costello...)and pushes his contestants to be artists and not karaoke, whereas the rest of their judges are lame. (I'd never heard of any of their judges before).

"the most important singer on this show, the most magical magical unicorn ever"

Yeah, I still don't get what Adam meant by this, and to be honest I'm continually surprised that that statement made it through editing and got repeated in some of the recaps. I guess it could be a reason for assumptions by America.....

I don't get it either. If he had said "unique", I could understand it even though I may not fully agree. Perhaps it had something to do with his sob story about being bullied when he was younger? But lots of people were bullied in school, so it hardly makes him the most important singer.

Tom Jones used to he extremely picky about turning his chair around. He turned for maybe 20% of the aired auditions.

Edited by waving feather